Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Struggled to get through that first paragraph purely because of the jumping in time. Let's analyze it sentence by sentence.

Tonsured posted:

Frank Thatcher stood before the forge. present
He was only an apprentice at the smith shop but he was a hard worker and quick learner. present
Old Burke-the master who ran the Gilded Bird- saw in him these traits the moment he walked into the smithy groveling for a job. past
A far more important attribute that became apparent was the pride young Thatcher took in his craftsmanship. past... but less past?
Every time he stoked the furnace fire he would simultaneously stoke his ambition with fantasies of mastership and fame. past? present? who knows?
It was exactly this dual process that Frank was currently engaged in. back to present
Start with concrete action. Setting, conflict, character. Make us interested in what's happening now, right away. Give us his work ethic and how he was hired and all that stuff later, once we care about what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.

Tonsured posted:

Spontaneous unfinished Fantasy thing

Feeling the need for other eyes on this:

:words:

There is some interesting conflict in here but it's kinda buried under mounds of adjectives. My advice would be to cut out the first para graph entirely and remove most of the adjectives from whats left.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
I've realised that I'm getting good at critiquing from a technical perspective, but when I actually went to a writing group the other week, everyone had great and constructive things to say about emotions and suspense and what the story is rather than how it's told. So, I'm going to give that a go.

Sid Vicious posted:

Just for the record, I have no education in creative writing, its just something I enjoy doing sometimes. With that in mind here is my short story Shirt Bot. Its mostly stream of consciousness that I just decided to put down on paper, so I apologize if the ending feels abrubt. I'm also not very good at staying in tense/perspective so I hope I did alright this time around. Would love some critique and opinions on it, thanks everyone.

Shirt Bot

This is a tale about Shirt Bot, the shirt deploying robot. He was created specifically for the purpose of deploying is exactly the right word because it's so wrong. You have me. shirts to people who didn't have a shirt of their own. Don't argue it's a much more common plight than you might believe. His creator suffered from brief lapses in memory and quite often forget his own shirt, which is really the only reason he even built it. ]After his creators death he found it more and more difficult to find people who needed shirts. He wandered I wanna know what he looks like at this point. The fun comes from the strangeness of this object, his unsuitability to the world. Could there be value in a little description? from coast to coast distributing his shirts where needed as he went but he felt something was missing. While hanging around in San Francisco a young man suggested he try going to Mexico, as he had heard there was many more poor people there, so Shirt Bot packed up his belongings, which in this case was a photograph of his creator and a chocolate bar he had been carrying with him for a long time, trying to figure out what it was for. Shirt-bot's early adventures could be great and succint, but it's difficult to see what they're for here. Maybe have him at the border straight away, in one of the most bizarre conflicts in any recent story I've read. I'd certainly read on, trying to work out how the hell we got here.

As he began his journey south he met a young man with what appeared to be only half a shirt. Shirt Bot offered him a shirt but the young man just cursed at him and called him a homophobe. Unfortunately Shirt Bot didn't even understand the concept of sexuality let alone have any hatred for anyone based on it. He apologized profusely and carried on his merry way.

He finally reached the border between the Unites States and Mexico after about a week of walking. He began plodding through the checkpoint when he heard a man yell to stop. He turned and saw a border patrol guard aiming a semiautomatic rifle at him. He waved pleasantly and turned around again. The first shot whistles right past his head. He turned again looking absolutely horrified. He couldn't understand why this human would just fire at him for what he believed to be no reason. He ejected a shirt and attempted to hand it to the man, who looked utterly confused.

"You're gonna need to show me your passport and tell me why you're planning on crossing the border there son" the guard said to him gruffly. So he doesn't know that it's a robot? Or he's so mechanical himself (SATIRE) that he has noticed, and doesn't care? There's value in pointing this out.

"I'm not certain what a passport is my good man but I'm traveling to the country of Mexico to distribute my shirts to the poor of that land" Shirt Bot responded with cheer in his voice. He always had cheer in his voice. Nice.

"Well I'm afraid without a passport you won't be visiting anywhere anytime soon young man" the guard told him, with authority dripping from his words.

Shirt Bot was confused. He had never heard of a passport before, and he just wanted to help people. He decided to ask the man about the chocolate bar, since he had yet to find out what it was for.

"Well color me astounded young fella, is that a Dream Bar? I haven't eaten one of those in years, they stopped making them when I was still a boy. They had so many preservatives in em, I bet you that it'd still be fine to eat," the guard told him.

"You may have it if you like, I don't believe it can be perused this doesn't mean what you think it means. What are you saying here? by my own self" Shirt Bot told him. "You may also have one of my many shirts if you would like."

"We'll that's mighty generous of you son. I'll tell you what, you go on ahead to Mexico. I can't see you causing any trouble as polite and selfless as you seem to be," the guard said, his eyes glistening. He wasn't crying of course not. He just had something in his eye. Hope for the future. I like this, because it's ridiculous. We seem to have slipped into a slightly absurd world here where shirts equal happiness. Can you make use of that earlier on?

Shirt Bot continued his journey south and came upon a village. He could see that the buildings here were ramshackle and in a condition that could only be described as "bad". He decided here was as a good a place as any to begin his shirt distribution. He wandered to the center of town where he found a crowd already gathered.

"Greetings fellows I have brought you all fine new shirts this day. Line up in an orderly fashion and I shall distribute them accordingly."

Unfortunately none of them spoke a word of English and they believed he was insulting them, maybe even their wives too. For the record many of their wives were not what might be considered conventionally beautiful. Or unconventionally for that matter. It seems Shirt Bot had gotten himself in another fine mess. Are you channeling shirt-bot here? It seems like you are. The comedy in the piece is from his misunderstanding of the world - for instance, the border guard probably didn't have hope for the future thanks to shirt-bot's intervention, but that is how shirt-bot would see it. And that's funny. Keep using that. "A man shouted something foreign and angry, as if in defence of his wife's decision to wear a blouse that day." That's a bad example.

<What do you think it is?> one of the men asked the rest, still convinced it had said something offensive about his wife. But now we get the benefit of translation, taking us out of his world. The following lines could still convey what you want them to, even from shirt-bot's blinkered perspective. Look up "unreliable narrator".

<It looks like some kind of war machine, sent to strike fear into our hears> another man replied, with an edge of nervousness in his voice.

"I don't understand what you are saying, I apologize I do not have a built in universal translator," Shirt Bot said to them in his usual cheerful fashion. He began taking shirts out for all of them, which they took as a sign of aggression. Luckily none of them were particularly brave and they just scattered like field mice. Shirt Bot stood where he was, confused by the actions of man yet again. Yes.

"Well I suppose I might as well move on, find somewhere I am more wanted than here," he sighed this is one long sigh. I just tried it but then I do not have the limitless machine lungs of our robot masters, less cheerfully than he'd ever spoken in all his years. He began walking towards the other end of the village, noticing that many people were staring out their windows at him.
<Excuse me sir, you’re not here to hurt us are you? I can tell you’re a kind person, not one to be feared> a young boy emerged from an alleyway and asked him. <Come with me, I’ll introduce you to my family>

"I'm sorry young man I don't know what you're saying to me. At least you don't seem to be afraid, I shall come with you I believe," Shirt Bot exclaimed, the regular cheer returning to his voice. Shirt Bot followed the boy down the alleyway, and was soon gone. Here's hoping he had a good life and was able to fulfill his destiny. This needs to be a shirt-based ending. I know you just gave up, but you didn't need to make that so bloody obvious. The boy offers him a coat, leaving him dumbfounded? He bumps into a trouser-bot and discovers true love? Come on, you've set up a pretty rich area of possibilities.

It was hard for me to ignore all the technical fouls, but I think you know that. Just take a second pass at stuff before it goes up, and there'll be much less in the way of enjoying what is, actually, a really nice idea.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
As nothing much is moving here, here's another twitching corpse for the pile. I've started writing stuff that is rooted in the world, presented as fact, but is totally made up. Not really sure where it's going or what it's for, but I really like writing it. What would you do with it?

I'll take "burn it" for an answer.

THOUSAND THOUSAND
A white triangle, on an orange rectangle. And the words, “Thousand Thousand. A Club.” On a poster, under a bridge, over and over.

Everyone was talking about it. Come to the club, you really must come to the club! It’s the newest club, the coolest club, the club all clubs want to be. Jamie XX wishes he could play there. Rustie tried to get in once, but he was wearing trainers. The people from Boiler Room can’t find it. We have to go. Drop your plans.

Those people that made it their business to make judgements said it was like a place out of time. They said that morals and ideas and genders didn’t mean anything when you were in there. That all the best drugs were not just dealt, but invented there, on the floor because everyone was so creative. Everyone was funny and clever and told the best stories, but also knew when telling stories wasn’t cool and you should just shut up and dance, as they say.

So cool, they said. Someone had collected all the magical and unrepeatable moments from Glastonburys and Szigets and Burning Mans and condensed them into a festival of manufactured serendipity, just for you but just for everyone, anyone who could get in. The doorman was Polish, but not in a scary way and he always had witty and urbane stories of life in the Eastern Bloc.

The newest thing. The oldest thing. People said that the triangle meant it was founded by the Illumnati as a method of mind control, or the Knights Templar as an expression of the ultimate revelation of the Holy Trinity. A man from The Guardian advanced the theory that it was the creation of a circle of Hapsburg investors. A woman from The Observer said that the Papacy was behind it, and that it almost made up for all the rotten business with children.

It was under a disused archway in Brixton. Or, it was sandwiched between two meat-wagons in Dalston. Or, it was in the back of a coffee shop that had the furniture, livery and menu of a Starbucks but was not actually a Starbucks. Nobody was sure. Everybody knew someone who knew someone who had been to Thousand Thousand, but nobody had actually been. They all meant to go soon, they said. Vice Magazine tried to go for a feature, but they didn’t find it and so they took some homeless people to Claridge’s and wrote about that instead.

The only real person who had visited Thousand Thousand was a nineteen year-old London School of Economics student called Eloise who had been looking for the Walkabout because she was going to celebrate her best friend’s birthday. She said it looked Quite Fun, but not the sort of thing they were looking for that evening.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Symptomless Coma posted:

I've started writing stuff that is rooted in the world, presented as fact, but is totally made up.
I don't think that the "presented as fact" part is any truer here than it is for any other fiction, though. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I think that if you did want to go for that angle though, you should consider an epistolary approach. The piece mentions quite a few articles, well why not tell the story through them? I think that would be a lot more interesting since you'd be getting these different perspectives and would be able to tell different aspects of the story in that way. Most importantly, it would show that this club exists in whispers and theories rather than having this narrator simply telling us about that.

SpaceGodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2013

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Symptomless Coma posted:

As nothing much is moving here, here's another twitching corpse for the pile. I've started writing stuff that is rooted in the world, presented as fact, but is totally made up. Not really sure where it's going or what it's for, but I really like writing it. What would you do with it?

I'll take "burn it" for an answer.

THOUSAND THOUSAND
A white triangle, on an orange rectangle. And the words, “Thousand Thousand. A Club.” On a poster, under a bridge, over and over.

Everyone was talking about it. Come to the club, you really must come to the club! It’s the newest club, the coolest club, the club all clubs want to be. Jamie XX wishes he could play there. Rustie tried to get in once, but he was wearing trainers. The people from Boiler Room can’t find it. We have to go. Drop your plans.

Those people that made it their business to make judgements said it was like a place out of time. They said that morals and ideas and genders didn’t mean anything when you were in there. That all the best drugs were not just dealt, but invented there, on the floor because everyone was so creative. Everyone was funny and clever and told the best stories, but also knew when telling stories wasn’t cool and you should just shut up and dance, as they say.

So cool, they said. Someone had collected all the magical and unrepeatable moments from Glastonburys and Szigets and Burning Mans and condensed them into a festival of manufactured serendipity, just for you but just for everyone, anyone who could get in. The doorman was Polish, but not in a scary way and he always had witty and urbane stories of life in the Eastern Bloc.

The newest thing. The oldest thing. People said that the triangle meant it was founded by the Illumnati as a method of mind control, or the Knights Templar as an expression of the ultimate revelation of the Holy Trinity. A man from The Guardian advanced the theory that it was the creation of a circle of Hapsburg investors. A woman from The Observer said that the Papacy was behind it, and that it almost made up for all the rotten business with children.

It was under a disused archway in Brixton. Or, it was sandwiched between two meat-wagons in Dalston. Or, it was in the back of a coffee shop that had the furniture, livery and menu of a Starbucks but was not actually a Starbucks. Nobody was sure. Everybody knew someone who knew someone who had been to Thousand Thousand, but nobody had actually been. They all meant to go soon, they said. Vice Magazine tried to go for a feature, but they didn’t find it and so they took some homeless people to Claridge’s and wrote about that instead.

The only real person who had visited Thousand Thousand was a nineteen year-old London School of Economics student called Eloise who had been looking for the Walkabout because she was going to celebrate her best friend’s birthday. She said it looked Quite Fun, but not the sort of thing they were looking for that evening.

You described an idea for 500 words, and it wasn't even a very good one. A cool club? Ok? You came close in the last paragraph and then oh wait no who cares. Is this supposed to be awful ad copy? A story? Do I not get it or something? Am I not cool enough? I'd say actually write something worth reading. Maybe with a plot. Maybe with something that goes somewhere, and doesn't keep describing the same thing over and over and over again like it's an infomercial.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

SpaceGodzilla posted:

I don't think that the "presented as fact" part is any truer here than it is for any other fiction, though. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I think that if you did want to go for that angle though, you should consider an epistolary approach.

It's so nice finding out there's a name for something. I suppose I'm thinking about The Hitchhiker's Guide as a thing that uses structure to cheat its way through showing and telling. Telling is what this is, it's true. Maybe that's no good.

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Is this supposed to be awful ad copy? A story? Do I not get it or something? Am I not cool enough?

I didn't say there was anything to get. I'm really, honestly not trying to be outre.

I'm going to have another think about this. All I know is that I don't want to write another story. Thanks for the input guys.

Symptomless Coma fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Read Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges if you haven't done so already. He often just makes up a book, essay, or article that he references throughout a work. He achieves the tone you are going for in a lot of his short fiction even when he's not using this method.

quote:

The composition of vast books is a laborious and impoverishing extravagance. To go on for five hundred pages developing an idea whose perfect oral exposition is possible in a few minutes! A better course of procedure is to pretend that these books already exist, and then to offer a resume, a commentary . . . More reasonable, more inept, more indolent, I have preferred to write notes upon imaginary books.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Here is a short story I wrote guys. Please tear it to pieces. I want to improve as a writer.

Romance in Kelowna

John’s upper cheek dripped with sweat; salty tracks formed on his face as liquid bubbled from his forehead, expelled downwards by gravity, his face distorted by stress.

It was a log-cabin on the outskirts of Kelowna, Ontario. An aching desert of snow circled the cabin, tall Birch trees flickering alongside the clearings outer edge.

The trees drowned the sun. The cabin stuck out in the uneven clearing like mold on a peach, the exterior fenced by violently swaying trees.
He was waiting for them. His demons, his pursuers, his, his…

John’s mind went blank. Constant stress left him exhausted; his perception of time had gone on vacation and the sky was constant grey. Existence was probable and reality shaky—he couldn’t remember the last time he saw the sun. Everything was a dirty shade of grey.

His wife, Maggie, had left to see an old friend in town. She left him behind. They had been fighting. Their winter vacation to her parent’s remote cabin was supposed to bring them closer together.

It didn’t.

The remoteness and silence of the location drove him mad. The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors) made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple. Her every motion was driving him insane.

John hated her.

She asked him if she could visit an old childhood friend in town. John gave her a contorted smile and agreed. She was too involved in her thoughts to see the flash of relief accompanied with the dilation of John’s pupils to sense anything was wrong. She was excited to see her friend and left in a hurry.

And left the door slightly ajar.

Upon seeing the crack of light billow from the door and the nibbling twinge of icy breath on his arm, John snapped. Hate congealed into murderous thoughts. The combination of events sent his mind to murder. His rationality gone; it joined his love for her in the godforsaken pit of his stomach.

She would be back at nightfall. The grey was streaked with blood red dashes of colour. She would be home soon.

With binoculars in hand, John went to his work bench. It was a roughly hewn mess—he was practising woodworking as a new hobby. To pass the time he was whittling a stool leg. It lay on the table next to an open guide book with wood working tools in front of it. With his free hand he absentmindedly picked up a spool of twine as he looked at the road outside.
She should be home soon.

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done.

John examined their carving knife, too dull. His axe; too small. Camping rope? Too personal.
His eyes racked in on to a material stacked by the door. Firewood. He could bludgeon her to death with a log. Perfect. Burnable evidence, a dead wife, and a roaring fire. Perhaps there is hot chocolate as well. Could be something to look forward to.

With the delightful kernel of a thought crackling in his mind, he sat by the window with his binoculars and waited.

She should be home soon. The red sky glinted through the windows gently and splattered on the walls. Yellow suddenly accompanied them.

She was returning home, their car slowly appearing around the bend and entering the clearing.

John smiled for the first time that year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is horrible in more ways than the English language has to describe it. And you can't write for poo poo. Please go away and never come back.

Edit: Mike Works correctly called me on this. You've been given some excellent detailed crits below, so I'll be more general - why should the reader care? I mean you can write a story about stuff, but that doesn't make it a story.

There are a bunch of ways you can approach it, but the central choice you make with every sentence is telling people something they expect or something they don't expect. That's it. There's nothing else.

So brushing aside the terrible purple prose (and you should brand every single one of the excellenct critiques below on your soul before you write another word) your central problem is that you're just giving people what they expect. It's a story about a guy who's gonna kill his wife, who plans to kill his wife, and then the story ends with him about to kill his wife. Why should we care about that? It's just what we expect.

If I was rewriting it, I'd take the situation and think about how I could twist it. Which sentence could you take and change so it's unexpected? The most obvious way of doing this is a twist ending (she's actually in the closet! she actually poisoned him before she left! someone else kills her first, and it's the murderer in the car!). None of those are good, but they at least add some point to the story.

A better way is to give people something unexpected by making the reader feel something they didn't expect to feel. Sympathy is the obvious one - though that's a hard task with a psychotic wife murderer, but that's the story you've written. Maybe you could swap to her perspective, creating suspense?

There are dozens of ways you could improve the actual writing, but none of them will improve what you're writing unless you address the expectations of the reader and try to make them, eventually, pleased they spent some of their time reading your story.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 10, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I'm sure what seb was trying to say in his own kind-hearted fashion was that:

1) Not every description needs to be the most contrived bullshit simile.

2) The story is trying so hard to be dramatic and edgy that you can see the tryhard from outer space. Look at how often you use those terrible cliché clipped sentences. You aren't writing a comic book.

3) The premise is done to death (hah.), you have ridiculous description in some places and then totally lack it in others, there is no noticeable characterisation, the grammar is shaky.

Here are some choice excerpts for you to mull over:

His demons, his pursuers, his, his… - Not only is this dumb as hell, it completely destroys any 'descent into madness' vibe you might once have dreamed of creating.

The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors) made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple. - Can anything even be said about this? And man you are just not ready for parentheses.

She was too involved in her thoughts to see the flash of relief accompanied with the dilation of John’s pupils to sense anything was wrong. - I too often look into people's eyes and see whether they dilate as in indication of MURDEROUS INTENT.

His rationality gone; it joined his love for her in the godforsaken pit of his stomach. - Barf. What is godforsaken about it? Did he eat too many sputtering sausages?

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done. - This is what should not be done.

John examined their carving knife, too dull. His axe; too small. - THIS KNIFE? TOO DULL. THIS AXE? TOO SMALL. THIS LOG? JUUUUUUST RIGHT! No it isn't idiot, a log is a dumb weapon and axe's aren't small unless they are hatchets and even still that is a better murder weapon. Not only that but you have this whole misleading spiel about a table leg which is clearly leading into being the murder weapon then you just loving forget about it or something. What the hell.

The red sky glinted through the windows gently and splattered on the walls. Yellow suddenly accompanied them. - Keats eat your heart out.

Firewood. He could bludgeon her to death with a log. Perfect. Burnable evidence, a dead wife, and a roaring fire. Perhaps there is hot chocolate as well. - Amazing.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Jeza posted:

The story is trying so hard to be dramatic and edgy that you can see the tryhard from outer space.

jezaquotes_2013.txt

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

sebmojo posted:

This is horrible in more ways than the English language has to describe it. And you can't write for poo poo. Please go away and never come back.

That's a bit cruel.

What's happening here is you're writing what you think good stories ought to be like. If you went back to the stories you love, you'd notice that they're not like that at all. Specifically The Shining,. King's prose is more direct and workmanlike than yours, but it achieves the effect far better.

He wrote a book called On Writing which says that writing is about communication more than any other thing. That is, the transfer of specific bits of information from your head to your reader's head. This isn't a bad way to parse your own drafts: what information needs to be communicated at this point, and is it coming across? Secondly, with every sentence your read back: is this sentence contributing to the pile of information the reader needs to decode the story properly? If it's not, it can probably go.

So when your first para is devoted to re-explaining how sweating and gravity work, your focus is in the wrong place. These things plus the description of the cabin make it sound like you're reciting a film from memory. Think about all of the below phrases in terms of what they're communicating, and why.

-Desert of snow is too clever. Especially when it's not true, since you then explain what surrounds it. And trees can't flicker.

-If sky is grey, that's caused by cloud, not trees.

-"His perception of time had gone on vacation" is too prosaic. Existence was probable is too outre.

-"They had been fighting" is so very far away from a murder plot that it's comical.

-Next para (drove him mad) - when is that happening? It's unclear.

-The sausage simile is again, comical. When you write a simile, try to imagine it. If it looks instantly hilarious, think again.

-All smiles are contorted. They are contortions of the face. It would, in fact, have more effect if he'd given a perfectly normal smile.

-Again, his snapping at the door being open a bit is hilarious by virtue of being ridiculous. And here we hit on the problem - I don't give a poo poo about John. Why should I, just because he doesn't like snow and his girl wants some alone time? So would I. He's a dick.

...and so on. The point is this: in the end, effective pieces of writing (and you have put yourself in this category by saying it's a story) have an intention. A set of emotions they want someone to feel, and a set of statements (these are your sentences) that, when taken together, generate those emotions. They don't just spin out lots of "writerly" language until an arbitrary end. Though that's certainly where everyone starts.

They proof-read, too. I hope that helps!

Edit: The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Abattoir 2013

Symptomless Coma fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 10, 2013

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

GiveUpNed posted:

John’s upper cheek dripped with sweat; salty tracks formed on his face as liquid bubbled from his forehead, expelled downwards by gravity, his face distorted by stress.
Our protagonist, ladies and gentlemen:

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Jeza posted:

I'm sure what seb was trying to say in his own kind-hearted fashion was that:

1) Not every description needs to be the most contrived bullshit simile.

2) The story is trying so hard to be dramatic and edgy that you can see the tryhard from outer space. Look at how often you use those terrible cliché clipped sentences. You aren't writing a comic book.

3) The premise is done to death (hah.), you have ridiculous description in some places and then totally lack it in others, there is no noticeable characterisation, the grammar is shaky.

Here are some choice excerpts for you to mull over:

His demons, his pursuers, his, his… - Not only is this dumb as hell, it completely destroys any 'descent into madness' vibe you might once have dreamed of creating.

The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors) made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple. - Can anything even be said about this? And man you are just not ready for parentheses.

She was too involved in her thoughts to see the flash of relief accompanied with the dilation of John’s pupils to sense anything was wrong. - I too often look into people's eyes and see whether they dilate as in indication of MURDEROUS INTENT.

His rationality gone; it joined his love for her in the godforsaken pit of his stomach. - Barf. What is godforsaken about it? Did he eat too many sputtering sausages?

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done. - This is what should not be done.

John examined their carving knife, too dull. His axe; too small. - THIS KNIFE? TOO DULL. THIS AXE? TOO SMALL. THIS LOG? JUUUUUUST RIGHT! No it isn't idiot, a log is a dumb weapon and axe's aren't small unless they are hatchets and even still that is a better murder weapon. Not only that but you have this whole misleading spiel about a table leg which is clearly leading into being the murder weapon then you just loving forget about it or something. What the hell.

The red sky glinted through the windows gently and splattered on the walls. Yellow suddenly accompanied them. - Keats eat your heart out.

Firewood. He could bludgeon her to death with a log. Perfect. Burnable evidence, a dead wife, and a roaring fire. Perhaps there is hot chocolate as well. - Amazing.

Hi there. It's for an entrance porfolio for an advertising program. They provided an image and I'm supposed to write a story based on it. The reason it's contrived, is due to me being constrained by the photo.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

GiveUpNed posted:

Hi there. It's for an entrance porfolio for an advertising program. They provided an image and I'm supposed to write a story based on it. The reason it's contrived, is due to me being constrained by the photo.

Is that a joke? Unless this photo is a picture of the words you wrote and you copied them down, then I fail to see how it is relevant. I didn't call your story contrived, although it is a typical 'log cabin in the woods' yarn, I called your descriptions contrived. Foreheads bubbling, Deserts aching, suns drowning, cabins like mold on peaches - this is beyond fanciful. It roars straight through the borders of poncy right into pretension county.

If my comments made you feel defensive it is at least a sign you care, but at the same time don't loving bother giving excuses unless you've got good reason. You asked to get torn apart, and hey look, you did. I haven't given you a full and in-depth crit by any means, but that is because you are really not at the stage where a line by line crit would really do you any good. You need to take a day or two away from what you wrote, lose any attachment to it, come back and look at it in the cold light of day. Look at your words, especially the lines I highlighted. Do you read any author who writes like that?

That is meant to be a rhetorical question, but if they answer is 'yes', then maybe go to The Book Barn and get some recommendations because, yeah, no.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So here's what that is:

in high school, they teach you a certain style of creative writing that encourages students to think creatively with language and not be afraid to try weird and different things with their writing. It's good for practice but it has no bearing on what makes actual good writing whatsoever.

First, you need to strip your language right the hell back: trim all the wacky metaphors/verbal fireworks, focus on the core characters and story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GiveUpNed posted:

Here is a short story I wrote guys. Please tear it to pieces. I want to improve as a writer.

I'm not sure it's possible to improve on this. It's already a perfect example of "so bad it's good".

GiveUpNed posted:

This opening sentence in particular is a masterpiece. Liquid bubbled from his forehead. My god.

GiveUpNed posted:

It was a log-cabin on the outskirts of Kelowna, Ontario. An aching desert of snow circled the cabin, tall Birch trees flickering alongside the clearings outer edge.

I also love how the trees are apparently on fire but it has no bearing on anything. That's great!

GiveUpNed posted:

The trees drowned the sun. The cabin stuck out in the uneven clearing like mold on a peach, the exterior fenced by violently swaying trees.

Can you hear Max Payne saying this?

GiveUpNed posted:

his perception of time had gone on vacation and the sky was constant grey. Existence was probable and reality shaky—he couldn’t remember the last time he saw the sun. Everything was a dirty shade of grey.

This too.

GiveUpNed posted:

The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors) made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple.

Why is grease flying from his wildly jittering cheeks to his temples? I don't know, but I love it.

GiveUpNed posted:

And left the door slightly ajar.

Dun dun DUN!

GiveUpNed posted:

With binoculars in hand, John went to his work bench.

Got to have the binoculars to see what's on the bench in front of him.

GiveUpNed posted:

It was a roughly hewn mess—he was practising woodworking as a new hobby. To pass the time he was whittling a stool leg. It lay on the table next to an open guide book with wood working tools in front of it. With his free hand he absentmindedly picked up a spool of twine as he looked at the road outside.

So, obviously he's going to use the steel leg and the twine to kill her. I'm not sure why he needs both, but I'm sure he's got his reasons.

GiveUpNed posted:

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done.

What a faux pas!

GiveUpNed posted:

With the delightful kernel of a thought crackling in his mind, he sat by the window with his binoculars and waited.

The kernel of a thought and a complete plan are not quite the same thing. I look forward to reading more from you in the future, this was a delight.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

sebmojo posted:

This isn't a critique. It's completely detrimental to the entire purpose of this thread. No matter how high or low the quality of a submission, if you're not going to bother trying to help someone's writing, then don't bother loving posting.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
As a Canadian you should be even more incensed than sebmojo since homeboy put Kelowna in Ontario instead of British Columbia.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Ha, I just assumed there was a Kelowna in Ontario too. How do you get that wrong?!

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

GiveUpNed posted:

It was a log-cabin on the outskirts of Kelowna, Ontario.

Beaten twice, but, dude. If can't be bothered to do even the barest bit of research, then why should any of us bother reading what you wrote? This does not bode well for your future in advertising.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Fanky Malloons posted:

Beaten twice, but, dude. If can't be bothered to do even the barest bit of research, then why should any of us bother reading what you wrote? This does not bode well for your future in advertising.

You're right. I was thinking of Kenora, Ontario. I went portaging there a few summers ago. I'm very tired. I worked as a journalist for a year or two, but there's not money in it. I'm going back to school for advertising. It's been a very sleepless week trying to get everything together.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm not trying to be a dickhead, but like, is your non-fiction writing for journalism as heavy-handed? I've worked in a couple of radio newsrooms writing copy, and I know you want that poo poo as concise and to the point as possible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mike Works posted:

This isn't a critique. It's completely detrimental to the entire purpose of this thread. No matter how high or low the quality of a submission, if you're not going to bother trying to help someone's writing, then don't bother loving posting.

You're right, of course, and I apologise. I've edited in some crit of the points that haven't already been covered.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 10, 2013

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

GiveUpNed posted:

You're right. I was thinking of Kenora, Ontario. I went portaging there a few summers ago. I'm very tired. I worked as a journalist for a year or two, but there's not money in it. I'm going back to school for advertising. It's been a very sleepless week trying to get everything together.

That makes more sense. And thus we all learn a valuable lesson about waiting until you're fully awake to proof-read things.

GiveUpNed posted:

Romance in Kelowna

John’s upper cheek too specific - who ever specifies a part of their cheek? dripped with sweat; salty tracks formed on his face as liquid bubbled from his foreheadJohn is not a volcano, sweat doesn't bubble, expelled downwards by gravity, his face distorted by stress.
What is the point of this paragraph, exactly? It doesn't actually add anything to the story to have a very strange and detailed description of John sweating.

It was What was? John's sweat? His face? a log-cabin on the outskirts of Kelowna, OntarioBritish Columbia. An aching desert of snow circled the cabin, tall Birch trees flickering alongside the clearings outer edge.Deserts don't have trees,thus this description is illogical.

The trees drowned in? or out? the sun It would actually be a really effective description to say the trees were drowning IN the sun. It's unusual, but not so super weird or overdone that the meaning is lost or the reader wants to roll their eyes out of their head. The cabin stuck out in the uneven clearing like mold on a peach really?, the exterior fenced by violently swaying trees.
He was waiting for them. His demons, his pursuers, his, his… This doesn't really work because we haven't actually gotten any sense of being inside John's head thus far, so it just looks like a typo/unfinished sentence rather than John's interrupted train of thought.

John’'s mind went blank. Constant stress left him exhausted; his perception of time had gone on vacation and the sky was constant grey. Existence was probable and reality shaky—he couldn'’t remember the last time he saw the sun. Everything was a dirty shade of grey. Are you familiar with the phrase, 'show, don't tell'? Find a way to show the reader that John is exhausted and has no perception of time instead of just saying it.

His wife, Maggie, had leftgone to see an old friend in town, leaving him behind. She left him behind. They had been fighting even though Their winter vacation to her parent’s remote cabin was supposed to bring them closer together.

It didn’t. Did they not teach you about using apostrophes at journalism school?

The remoteness and silence of the location drove him mad. The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors)why is this in parentheses? made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple brevity is a virtue. Her every motion was driving him insane.

John hated her. Show meeeee

She asked him if she could visit an old childhood friend in town. John gave her a contorted smile and agreed. She was too involved in her thoughts to see the flash of relief accompanied with the dilation of John’s pupils to sense anything was wrong. She was excited to see her friend and left in a hurry. a) you're repeating yourself by saying she went to see an old friend in town, b) this is way too much detail, c) I thought they were fighting and that's why she left?

AndShe left the door slightly ajar.

Upon seeing the crack of light billow from the door and feeling the nibbling twinge of icy breathbreeze on his arm, John snapped. Hate congealed into murderous thoughts jelly. (I am kidding). The combination of events sent his mind to murder. His rationality gone; it joined his love for her in the godforsaken pit of his stomach.This sentence is illogical, is his rationality gone, like his love for his wife, or have both feelings moved elsewhere within his body?

She would be back at nightfall Nightfall? Don't they have clocks in the mountains?. The grey sky? was streaked with blood red dashes of colour. She would be home soon.

With binoculars in hand why is he holding these? If it's important, mention it earlier, if it's not then don't include it at all , John went to his work bench. It was a roughly hewn mess - he was practising woodworking as a new hobby. To pass the time to pass the time while he learned his new hobby? he was whittling a stool leg. It lay on the table next to an open guide book with wood working tools in front of it HOW INTERESTING. By which I mean not interesting at all. With his free hand he absentmindedly picked up a spool of twine as he looked at the road outside.

She should be home soon. Yeah, yeah, we already know

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done. Oh, thanks for the murder etiquette tip, Captain random-narrative-voice-switch

John examined their carving knife, too dull. His axe; too small. Camping rope? Too personal.
His eyes racked in what? on to a material the firewood stacked by the door. Firewood. He could bludgeon her to death with a log. Perfect. Burnable evidence, a dead wife, and a roaring fire. Perhaps there is hot chocolate as well What the hell.. Could be something to look forward to.

She should be home soon. The red sky glinted through the windows gently and splattered on the walls. Yellow suddenly accompanied them. I feel like you almost got it here. Almost.

She was returning home THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, their car slowly appearing around the bend and entering the clearing.

John smiled for the first time that year.

Fanky Malloons fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 11, 2013

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I'm not trying to be a dickhead, but like, is your non-fiction writing for journalism as heavy-handed? I've worked in a couple of radio newsrooms writing copy, and I know you want that poo poo as concise and to the point as possible.

It depends on what I'm doing. I did have someone edit this for me though and they asked me to be more specific about certain things. With criticism or a feature article, I have more freedom. Eh, I see this as a first draft. I'll probably rewrite it from a different angle and toss it up here tonight for round two. People making GBS threads didn't bother me as A: It's the internet and B: I'm used to having my writing chopped and rewritten.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey all. I used the same scene, but did something different with it.

Memories

Keenly looking out the rustic log cabin window, while leaning over the work bench in front of him with binoculars in one hand hanging at his side, John scanned the tree line looking for Jack.

Jack, you see, was adopted by John as a child. One cold April day, his cat started to irritatingly pad the back door, like fingernails gently clasping a wine glass. His mind occupied with other things, he absent mindedly opened the door to let the cat in.

Chirping accompanied the cat’s paw steps. Aghast John looked down to see his cat gnawing on a baby winter wren’s wing. It was pitifully fluttering about trying to escape, its bright red flight feather wiggling between the cat’s teeth.

John felt sorry for the little guy. He was never one for pets, yet seeing the fluffy little creature chirping in pain while the cat purred with pride struck him. Quickly shooing the cat way, John rescued the tiny bird. He built a shoebox nest for it using paper towels and shredded paper, feeding it with an eye dropper and using a desk lamp to provide it with warmth.
He christened it “Jack” after his favorite grandpa, Jack Friesen, who lived down the street. Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish, an interesting pet that you show to people. Jack couldn’t play catch, or cuddle with John at night, yet John didn’t mind. Jack was beautiful, and interesting and cool to show to other kids.

John hadn’t thought of Jack of years until he saw him an hour ago at the cabin. He was outside with his father-in-law discussing non-profit law. Suddenly, there Jack was. He briefly landed in a bush by their table, before darting away, a red trail accompanying him in the grey sky.

Childhood memories rushed back to John in an instant. Everyone in Brandon wanted to see the weird bird the kid with no friends had. Eventually John no longer needed Jack to get people to talk to or like him.

Jack somehow knew and escaped his cage. He simply vanished.

Exclaiming he had to get something, John rushed inside for his binoculars hanging by the door on a coat hook and then to a window. Desperately scanning the treetops for Jack with the binoculars, John couldn’t find him.

The grey sky was streaked with blood red dashes of colour. Nightfall was arriving. His eyes tired, he lowered the binoculars in his right hand, absent mindedly picked up a spool of string with his left and scanned the sky a last time.

Suddenly, with a flutter, Jack landed on a fir by the window.

It wasn’t him.

Of course it wasn’t. Wrens don’t live forever. Smiling to himself John silently thanked Jack, wherever he was, for helping him as a child. Turning his back on the window, to rejoin his father-in-law outside, the red-feathered wren gave a shrill chirp and flew away into the night.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 11, 2013

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Maybe writing fiction's just not your thing.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

GiveUpNed posted:

Hey all. I used the same scene, but did something different with it.

This makes a lot more sense as an advertising piece than murder, but why not tell these events over time, as they happen? Open with the cat bringing the bird in. Fast-forward through John's childhood as you already do, up until Jack leaves, and then have current-day John spot the wren. This would also eliminate the problem of a reader going, 'Wait a minute, winter wrens have a lifespan of six years' when you don't show that John knows (and you know) that until the last paragraph.

I also suggest naming one of them something else. 'Jack' and 'John' are too visually similar.

Another problem: I looked up winter wrens. I see no red feathers anywhere. If this bird is from your image, are you sure you've got the right species?

As for the writing, it's a bit better here, but... I'm not sure where you get similes like 'like fingernails gently clasping a wine glass,' but they're very bad. Fingernails can't clasp a wine glass. Fingernails are not prehensile. And what the blazes that image has to do with a cat 'padding' the back door (what?) is beyond me.

I need to practice my alchemy. Let's do a line-by-line. Comments and inserted punctuation are in bold, inserted text in italics.

------

Keenly looking out the rustic log cabin window, leaning over the work bench in front of him with binoculars in one hand hanging at his side, John scanned the tree tops looking for Jack.

Jack, you see, was adopted by John as a child.
(See what I said before re: chronological restructuring.) One cold April day, hisJohn's cat started to irritatingly pad ('started to' is a weak construction, and you're too fond of adverbs) scratched at the back door, like fingernails gently clasping a wine glass of the rustic log cabin they lived in. (I wouldn't add this, except that I assume it's a vital part of your image.) His mind occupied with other things, heThe boy (varying up your sentence construction and establishing John's youth in one change) absentmindedly (this is one word) opened the door to let the cathis pet (variation in phrases is also good) in.

Chirping accompanied the cat’s paw steps.Something chirped. (I won't pretend this is brilliant, but it's a lot less awkward. Simple != bad, you know.) Aghast, John looked down to see his cat gnawing on a baby winter wren’s wingcarrying a young winter wren by its wing (if the cat is gnawing on that bird--I exchanged 'baby' for 'young' since a baby wouldn't have flight feathers--it's never going to fly even if it lives). ItThe fledgling was pitifully flutteringfluttered about, trying to escape, its bright red flight feather (Cornell University also says a winter wren's plumage is a uniform brown; are you sure?) wiggling between the cat’s teeth.

John felt sorry for the little guy. He was neverhad never been (this sentence shows John's pity without telling us about it) one for pets, yet seeingthe sound of the fluffy little creature chirping in pain while the cat purred with pride struck him. Quickly Shooing the cat away, John rescued the tiny bird. He built a shoebox nest for it using paper towels and shredded paper, feedingfed it with an eye dropper, and usingused a desk lamp to provide it with warmth.

(Consistent formatting is your friend: I added a carriage return.) He christened it “Jack” after his favorite grandpa, Jack Friesen, who lived down the streetroad (maybe this is me, but I can't picture a rustic log cabin right on a modern street). Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish, an interesting pet that you show to people. (Leaving aside the question of who keeps a scorpion as a pet, this sentence makes no sense, and the following lines re-establish the ideas anyway.) Jack the wren couldn’t play catch, or cuddle with John at night, yetbut John didn’t mind. Jack was beautiful, and interesting, and cool to show to other kids.

John hadn’t thought of Jack of years until he saw him an hour ago at the cabin. He was outside with his father-in-law discussing non-profit law. Suddenly, there Jack was. He briefly landed in a bush by their table, before darting away, a red trail accompanying him in the grey sky.

Childhood memories rushed back to John in an instant.
(Ditch all of this. It's a needless muddle.) Everyone in Brandontown (alternatively, pick a town name that's more obviously a town name) wanted to see the weird bird the kid with no friends had for a pet. (I threw that in because a wren isn't weird except as a pet.) Eventually John no longer needed Jack to get people to talk to him or to like him.

Not long afterward, Jack somehow knew andescaped his cage. (That wren did not 'somehow know.' It's not a fantasy story.) He simply vanished.

(At this point you'd need some wholesale rewriting to bring the time forward. I'll make a stab at it.)

Years later, as John talked with his father-in-law on the cabin porch, a winter wren landed in a bush by their table and then darted away again within a heartbeat, a fleeting blur of brown feathers against the grey sky.

John excused himself and grabbed the binoculars hanging inside the front door, then sprinted to a window. He scanned the treetops through the lenses, caught by the sudden recollection of his friend, but he couldn't find any wren out there.

The grey sky was streaked with blood red dashes of colour. Nightfall was arriving.Dusk streaked the horizon with blood-red dashes of color. (This avoids repeating 'grey sky.') His eyes tired, he lowered the binoculars in his right hand,John lowered the binoculars and rubbed his tired eyes with his left hand, absent mindedly picked up a spool of string with his leftthen absently picked up a spool of string (why? I'll assume this goes with your image, but if it's not critical, dump it) and scannedsearched the sky a last time.

No. It wasn’t him. Of course it wasn’t. Wrens don’tdidn't live forever.

Smiling to himselfnevertheless, John silently thanked the Jack of his memories, wherever he was, (because he's dead) for helping him as a child. Turning his back on the window, to rejoin his father-in-law outside, he heard the red-feathered (I just don't buy it, sir) wren gave a shrillchirp behind him andbefore it flew away into the nightevening. (Since you've established that night hasn't fallen yet.)

------

This version is still a simple and somewhat cliche story, but I'm assuming that's not a problem in your context.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the winter wren feeds exclusively on insects. This is not a practical pet species.

Kaishai fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 11, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Welcome back. Let's begin.

GiveUpNed posted:

Memories

Keenly looking out the rustic log cabin window, leaning over the work bench in front of him with binoculars in one hand hanging at his side, John scanned the tree tops looking for Jack.

First thing I have to say here is that you have three concurrent verbs all working at once before you even get to the subject. John is looking, leaning and also the binoculars get on the action by hanging. We get all this before we even find out the protag's name. You then repeat 'looking for' completely superfluously. Your first sentence is a good indicator of how you mean to continue. Continue in this case meaning 'continue to use looooads of adverbs and feed the reader with weird tangential data'. In this case, it is 'keenly' and talking about the binocs.

Jack, you see, was adopted by John as a child. Sentence structure makes it ambiguous as to who was a child. Obviously later becomes clear Jack was a bird, but not yet. One cold April day, his cat started to irritatingly (HELLOOOO ADVERB) pad the back door, like fingernails gently clasping a wine glass. This description not as grievous as some of your previous attempts, so I forgive you. Still is a long way from being poetic or good. His mind occupied with other things, he absent mindedly opened the door to let the cat in.

Chirping accompanied the cat’s paw steps Fascinating, tell me more dull poo poo please.. Aghast John looked down to see his cat gnawing on a baby winter wren’s wing. It was pitifully fluttering about trying to escape, its bright red flight feather wiggling between the cat’s teeth.

John felt sorry for the little guy Tone issues.. He was never one for pets, yet seeing the fluffy little creature chirping in pain while the cat purred with pride struck him Mouthful. Quickly shooing the cat way, John rescued the tiny bird. He built a shoebox nest for it using paper towels and shredded paper, feeding it with an eye dropper and using a desk lamp to provide it with warmth.

He christened it “Jack” after his favorite grandpa, Jack Friesen, who lived down the street Too specific and irrelevant. Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish Don't give the reader options like this unless actually necessary, an interesting pet that you show to people. Jack couldn’t play catch, or cuddle with John at night, yet John didn’t mind. Jack was beautiful, and interesting and cool to show to other kids. In this para: A whole bunch of telling and not showing.

John hadn’t thought of Jack ofGrammar years until he saw him an hour ago at the cabin. He was outside with his father-in-law discussing non-profit law Pro-bono or not-for-profit. Suddenly, there Jack was. He briefly landed in a bush by their table, before darting away, a red trail accompanying him in the grey sky Poor phrasing..

Childhood memories rushed back to John in an instant. Everyone in Brandon wanted to see the weird bird the kid with no friends had Bad. Eventually John no longer needed Jack to get people to talk to or like him. Double bad. I hate this pair of sentences. It is like deadpanning the whole point of the story in the most dire way.

Jack somehow knew and escaped his cage This is somehow terrible. Expand on this in a non-terrible way. 'It was as if Jack could sense...' etc.. He simply vanished.

Exclaiming he had to get something, John rushed inside for his binoculars hanging by the door on a coat hook and then to a window. Desperately scanning the treetops for Jack with the binoculars, John couldn’t find him. You wax lyrical so often, but here you totally lack and of the drama this piece so desperately needs.

The grey sky was streaked with blood red dashes of colour Is this intentional repetition of red on grey? If it is, I don't get the point. . Nightfall was arriving. His eyes tired, he lowered the binoculars in his right hand, absent mindedly picked up a spool of string with his left and scanned the sky a last time.

It wasn’t him.

Of course it wasn’t. Wrens don’t live forever. Smiling to himself John silently thanked Jack, wherever he was, for helping him as a child. Turning his back on the window, to rejoin his father-in-law outside, the red-feathered wren gave a shrill chirp and flew away into the night.

OK friend. Here are my general pointers for the writing:

- Stay the gently caress away from adverbs if you can help it.
- Assess your overly long sentences. Read them out loud. Are they stilted and flow poorly in speech? Then they flow poorly on the page too.
- While you assess this, consider whether the information you are providing contributes to the narrative. Does it give colour/flavour, does it add something? No? Then loving cut it.

Here are specific pointers to this piece:

- The premise is incredibly simple, but you have verbal padding where it is totally pointless and then lack it where it is necessary. Use your words more judiciously.
- The conclusion is truly atrocious. I'm sorry, but pretending like the realisation that the wren is dead is somehow meant to make me go 'woah, deep man' is deeply flawed It fails to capture what you wanted (I imagine), which is this kind of slightly heart-warming life goes on vibe.

If you wanted to change the piece for the better, I would suggest working on the emotional front. Get him surprised/hopeful at the start at seeing the bird, have him reminisce happily about his nurturing of Jack (BETTER NAME PLEASE) and then chastise himself for getting his hopes up but not being sad because he enjoyed Jack's presence while he was alive. My 2 cents.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this, as you might put it, has a kernel of a good idea in there somewhere if it was substantially reworking and realigned. Therefore marginally better than last time. Take the crumbs of praise, take them.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 11, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Think back to the point people made earlier about writing needed to clearly convey ideas. You did better this time by cutting out the majority of the over-the-top descriptions, but you are still lacking so much clarity in your writing.

You should only use an imaginative metaphor or simile to express something that regular verbs, nouns, and adjectives just can't get across. When standard subject-->verb-->object can convey exactly what you mean, then you should just use it. You are making some really basic mistakes using regular words, so focus on fixing those before throwing similes in. The previous line-by-line crits have showed some of those, but look at these examples:

quote:

Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish

The relationship between Jack and John is being compared to a scorpion or a goldfish. You cannot compare a relationship between two things to the relationship of one thing to nothing else: "Tom and Mary's relationship was like a scorpion's relationship," makes no sense. Are you trying to say that their relationship is LIKE A SCORPION... or maybe it's LIKE A GOLDFISH? I'm pretty sure that you mean their relationship is like the relationship between a scorpion AND a goldfish, so why didn't you just say "and" instead of "or"? Even if you had phrased this perfectly, it's a very weird thing to say and I don't think Jack and John's relationship seems anything like how a scorpion and a goldfish would act together. Think about the idea or feeling that you actually want to express, THEN think of the way you want to say it.

quote:

John rushed inside for his binoculars hanging by the door on a coat hook and then to a window

Here is an example of failing to use simple verbs, nouns, and prepositions to clearly express a basic action. It doesn't matter that the binoculars are hanging by the door on a coat hook. Trying to shove that information into the sentence kills the meaning of the sentence. It's also very troubling that you couldn't have at least put the commas in here so that the sentence reads properly.

I hope there are binoculars in the picture you are writing about, because otherwise you are way too into binoculars.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
First thing I've written in a while. It's subtle as a brick through a window, but it felt good to write.

A Good Guy With A Gun
I am hiding behind a sign advertising a dating website, the sound of screams and gunfire fill the air.
That gun. Semi-automatic. I don’t know how much he’s got left in that clip, but those belts attached to him means that that doesn’t matter unless somebody stops him.
In some sick way, a part of me wanted this to happen.
All those drat liberals saying guns never solve problems. They don’t know what they’re talking about. I’m going to prove them wrong.
Keep hidden. Low on the ground. This mall is filled with waist-high furniture and kiosks.
About 40 feet away. Need to cut that distance in half.
He’s going into that store. Does he have a grudge against the company? Someone who works there? Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to ask him.
Hide behind the display shelf. Security cameras can see me, but he can’t.
I hear clicks. He’s out. I have between 10 and 20 seconds, depending on how good he is.
In front of him. A woman. Holding a baby. She’s frozen in fear. I’m going to save her.
I pull it out in a motion I practice constantly. 9mm. Keep the permit in my glove box.
I’m going to be a hero.
He’s fumbling. His adrenaline is working against him.
I’ve got him.
Aim. Go for the head. He could be wearing Kevlar under that shirt.
Pull.
The mother screams. I got him. I got
No.
That… on the floor…
He’s turned around. He’s looking at me.
On the floor…bleeding.
Blood.
The woman…knees on the floor…cradling the blood.
Cradling the baby.
No no no no NO! NO!
What did I… I don’t… I never… 99 times out of 100 I…
Oh god.
The man is gone. I don’t see him. I don’t hear gunfire.
Just a mother’s screams.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

First thing I've written in a while. It's subtle as a brick through a window, but it felt good to write.

Shots were fired
I am hiding behind a sign advertising a dating website, the sound of screams and gunfire fill the air.
That gun. Semi-automatic. I don’t know how much he’s got left in that clip, but those belts attached to him means that that doesn’t matter unless somebody stops him.
All those drat liberals saying guns never solve problems. They don’t know what they’re talking about. I’m going to prove them wrong.
Keep hidden. Low on the ground. This mall is filled with waist-high furniture and kiosks.
He’s going into that store. Does he have a grudge against the company? Someone who works there? Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to ask him.
I hear clicks. He’s out. I have between 10 and 20 seconds, depending on how good he is.
In front of him. A woman. Holding a baby. She’s frozen in fear. I’m going to save her.
I pull it out in a motion I practice constantly. 9mm. Keep the permit in my glove box.
I’m going to be a hero.
I’ve got him.
Pull.
The mother screams. I got him. I got
No.
That
On the floor
On the floor
Bleeding.
Blood.
The woman, knees on the floor, cradling the blood.
Cradling the baby.
No
No
The baby
No
What did I
I don’t
I never
99 times out of 100 I
Oh god
The man is gone
I don’t see him.
I don’t hear gunfire.

I quite like this, it's sort of prose poemy. Unsubtle, you're right, but it works.

I've done an edit, see what you think - I cut the ellipses, as you can do it with the structure you've set up already.

Also the last line because I think you've made that point.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 12, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I quite like this, it's sort of prose poemy. Unsubtle, you're right, but it works.

I've done an edit, see what you think - I cut the ellipses, as you can do it with the structure you've set up already.

Also the last line because I think you've made that point.
It's funny, when you make "The man is gone" and "I don't see him" separate lines, and end on "I don't hear gunfire" I almost feel like that makes it sound like the gunman was never there at all, and this was some psychotic episode thing. I didn't mean it that way at all, though I suppose that that interpretation makes a point about background checks, especially for those with a history of mental illness, need to happen now.
I was also thinking that the reason he didn't hear gunfire was because all he could hear were the mother's screams, not because there wasn't any. So I quite like that last line.
Honestly I just wanted to write a counterpoint to the inane "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" hence the title. I never intended a "No Jon, you are the demons" ending.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's funny, when you make "The man is gone" and "I don't see him" separate lines, and end on "I don't hear gunfire" I almost feel like that makes it sound like the gunman was never there at all, and this was some psychotic episode thing. I didn't mean it that way at all, though I suppose that that interpretation makes a point about background checks, especially for those with a history of mental illness, need to happen now.
I was also thinking that the reason he didn't hear gunfire was because all he could hear were the mother's screams, not because there wasn't any. So I quite like that last line.
Honestly I just wanted to write a counterpoint to the inane "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" hence the title. I never intended a "No Jon, you are the demons" ending.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply that. I just thought he'd run off and wasn't firing anymore. Otherwise why doesn't he shoot the protagonist? Your story, go with what works. Maybe rewrite that last line of yours though - 'a mother's screams' is very purple, and you've earnt somthing more dry I think.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

One issue I had was that you are playing off us not seeing the ending coming. If you're going to do that you might want to avoid overt caricatures or the absolute worst case scenario accidental shooting. When your protagonist sounds like an archetypal crazy concealed weapons guy and when there is a "woman holding a baby," then we pretty much know what's going to go down.

For a surprise ending you have to force a certain expectation and then surprise the reader. You accurately portrayed crazy people who carry guns around everywhere, but when I read the first time through I thought, "Either the guy writing this is really into guns and this is a super lovely story, or the woman with the baby is going to get shot." The woman with the baby pushed my guess toward the direction of her getting shot, because even a from-my-cold-dead-hands gun nut would probably never write himself in as saving a woman with a baby; it would simply sound like too much.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Kaishai posted:

This version is still a simple and somewhat cliche story, but I'm assuming that's not a problem in your context.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the winter wren feeds exclusively on insects. This is not a practical pet species.

I fixed the ending by talking about nostalgia.

quote:

No. It wasn’t him. Of course it wasn’t. Wrens didn’t live forever. Nostalgia can do strange things to one’s mind. While driving and passing a sign in the street, you are singing a song you haven’t thought of in twenty years ago to yourself.

Also, I used to write a lot of fiction in my spare time. Then I got a job at a newspaper. With writing, I find you have to do a lot of a certain type before you can comfortably change gears. Writing fiction used to come effortlessly to me, now I'm struggling to remember all the things I used to do. To say I'm rusty is an understatement.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

One issue I had was that you are playing off us not seeing the ending coming. If you're going to do that you might want to avoid overt caricatures or the absolute worst case scenario accidental shooting. When your protagonist sounds like an archetypal crazy concealed weapons guy and when there is a "woman holding a baby," then we pretty much know what's going to go down.

For a surprise ending you have to force a certain expectation and then surprise the reader. You accurately portrayed crazy people who carry guns around everywhere, but when I read the first time through I thought, "Either the guy writing this is really into guns and this is a super lovely story, or the woman with the baby is going to get shot." The woman with the baby pushed my guess toward the direction of her getting shot, because even a from-my-cold-dead-hands gun nut would probably never write himself in as saving a woman with a baby; it would simply sound like too much.
The "he's gonna shoot the baby" problem was an easy fix, thanks a bunch. I also changed the ending because, yeah, why wouldn't the killer shoot the protagonist? But on the other hand I wanted an ending where the protagonist wallowed in his misery. Good thing I can have my cake and eat it too!*

A Good Guy With A Gun
In front of him. A woman. Holding a bag. Can't make out what's in it. She’s frozen in fear. I’m going to save her.
I’m going to be a hero.
I’ve got him.
Pull.
The woman screams. I got him. I got
No.
That
On the floor
On the floor
Bleeding.
Blood.
The woman, knees on the floor, cradling the blood.
Cradling the baby.
No
No
The baby
No
What did I
I don’t
I never
99 times out of 100 I
Oh god
The gun. I can’t hold…
I hear it hit the tile floor.
The man
the killer
the bad guy
He’s walking over to me.
I’ve vomited on the floor.
I hear nothing but his footsteps and her sobs.
I want to beg him to kill me but I can’t speak because I
I
Killed
He’s taking my gun. My gun. The gun I shot.
Why isn't he pointing it at me?
Isn't he going to?
Do it.
Please.

*in my defense, to write the internal monologue of someone who has had a bullet go through their head is pretty silly. Were this traditional prose, I'd likely commit either way.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The "he's gonna shoot the baby" problem was an easy fix, thanks a bunch. I also changed the ending because, yeah, why wouldn't the killer shoot the protagonist? But on the other hand I wanted an ending where the protagonist wallowed in his misery. Good thing I can have my cake and eat it too!*

A Good Guy With A Gun

While I think the short and halting lines do a fantastic job of conveying the urgency and intensity of the situation, I feel like this story would work best if you lengthened it a bit. In that way, you could flesh out the progression from "relatively (and I stress the qualifier here) calm assessment" to "absolutely panicked monologue" and make the process a little more gradual - generating a deeper level of pathos for the reader. I'm not sure if that's what you want to do with this particular work, but a story with such a psychologically wrenched premise could only benefit from something like that. Trust me, there are far worse things people can say about a story other than "it needs to be longer".

I have been working on this "mini-novel" for a while now. I'm not sure if I'd classify it as neo-noir or post-modern or whatever. I like to think of it as just a story. Anyway, the plot is essentially about the collective unconscious, and the slow but inherent melding of the two realities of modern society (physical life/the internet and its various components) into something I call The Othernet. Basically, my main character (Morgan Stone) finds himself slowly becoming a sort of pioneer figure within The Othernet known as Rebell Yell.

Of course, being in such a position makes him vulnerable to all sorts of extra-normal agencies, including an unsentimental, chaotic figure known as The Canadian and an overly-emotional, luddite cult led by The Abbott. I've got a little bit written but am steadfastly working on Stone's backstory. I have a vague sense of what I want to do with it, but so far, connecting the dots to make it work isn't happening. What I do know about Stone is he's just enough a pop-culture oriented, wiseacre jimmie to make for either a sometimes crass, sometimes amusing narrator.

quote:

Rebel Yell

“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”
- T.S. Eliot

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”
- Winston Churchill

“The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic.”
- Charles Darwin

CHAPTER 0
PRELUDE TO AN END

My name is Morgan Stone. At least, that’s the name I was born with. I was also a naked infant when I was born, but as you can see, I am one no longer. I carried that name like a stone for twenty-five years. Do you know what stones were made to do?

Hold you down.

When did I cast the stone into the sea? When was I reborn - not as a fleshy, mewling child but as a grown man with sophisticated taste and the loftiest of aspirations? Ah… sometimes I can scarcely remember. Perhaps it was on the docks of the Amnok, where I saw the sputtering smoke of a dying nation. Perhaps it was in the fields of Portsmouth, Ohio. There I saw Lion and Cub - the symbol of my bright future and the shadow of my dark past. Perhaps it was in Japan, where perhaps my story will finally end. If I truly remembered, would it even matter? Perhaps.

I introduce myself to a lot of people, as you may have noticed. It’s part of the job. Peanuts for pleasantries, and this dusty ol’ Earth just keeps on spinnin’. My dreams carry me over the questionable nature of my job. Dreams… dreams can take even the most befuddling of questions and turn them into answers. Even as I stand on a balcony, looking over the neon city of Tokyo and listening to the polite business banter of the Yamaguchi-gumi associates that surround me, I can only think of dreams. This all, simply put, is too real for me. Too tangible. If my mind had a tongue, it could taste this scene - sour and no sweet.

The Canadian will be here tonight. This little tidbit I have on good authority, or at least, trustworthy authority. He is tall, white, and speaks fluently only in his native tongue. Perhaps he’s decent with French. But Japanese?

Not a chance.

He will have an interpreter. The advantage is already mine. When I finally smoke him, when I finally obliterate his tangibility, when I have cast him into nothingness… then I will truly know peace. I will sleep the dreamless sleep once more. Well, for a time being at least. That’s the thing about sleeping giants - they’re not dead. And unless they die in their sleep, they will awake. I hope I will sleep for a millennia, like the dragons of old. I hope my sleep is a sound and deep one. I hope.

There is a chatter of laughter. The veil of inscrutability lifted for the briefest of moments. I turn from the cityscape and look into the penthouse. Mounted playfully upon The Bull, he rides into a circle of Gokudo. The Bull sweats and grunts. The Canadian’s eyes roll back into his head, and he shrieks into the face of a bowing and blushing Geisha. He has not brought an interpreter. Some things are best left unsaid, I suppose. I flick my clove into the streets below, hoping it doesn’t result in a chain reaction. Hoping it doesn’t create a beautiful and rippling butterfly of death and fire. Only one man deserves to die tonight.

I reach into my coat pocket. The grenade’s still there.

I am Rebel Yell.

CHAPTER 1
THE CUB, LIVING

Soft and pink, I was truly the clitoris of men - minus the pleasure. Morgan Stone was awkward. Morgan Stone was quiet. Morgan Stone didn’t get respect or results. Morgan Stone was, simply put, Morgan Stone. Fortunately, he didn’t die the way he lived.

I guess you’d be familiar with the basic concept. A white collar schlub plodding through a life of mind-numbing drudgery? Looks like fate got lazy and gave me a rerun. I guess I could stand to be a bit more specific - I was IT director for my town’s middle school. On paper, I’m sure it doesn’t sound all that difficult, but keeping that stable of old mares runnin’ was nothing short of a Herculean effort.

And so there you have it.

• Locked thread