Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

CommissarMega posted:

And THIS might be a little embarrassing, at least for me, because I can't quite seem to get my head around how else I should do it :downs: Have any examples I can look at, or suggestions on how to keep it down?

You can always do what I do and avoid using dialogue tags 80% of the time! :haw: But just using "said" without a bunch of extra stuff is fine. Said is invisible, after all.

Edit: I should at least add an example!

"[words]." [Character] shoved himself away from the table. "[words words words]!"

What I usually do is insert character action in between bits of their dialogue to break it up some, and so they're not just sitting around talking. Even if they are sitting around, I try to include some small action that reveals something about the character's personality, or their current emotional state.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Whenever you see that construction in your writing, break it up. It's incredibly easy to fix.

Before:
"Butts butts butts," Djeser said, taking a bite of his sandwich.

After:
"Butts butts butts," Djeser said. He took a bite of his sandwich.

Then if that sentence looks awkward, later on in revising you can rephrase.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Attribution exists to tell you who's speaking. The first name you read after any given line of dialogue is typically the person you associate it with. Said is invisible, sure, but also superfluous. What's important is the name. The rest is so much hash browns.

Now, in a vacuum, you want to throw in a Name Said because just a Name is jarring. It's a noun with no verb. It needs a verb to feel complete. That verb needn't be Said though. You can substitute an action.

"Like this." He spread his arms across the table. "You see? You don't even need said."

Everything in moderation, of course. You generally drop attribution for any kind of back and forth, and it gets ridiculous if everyone is always pointing and gesturing or doing something different. Sometimes a character just has something to say; no frills, no extras. In times like these, just Said is enough.

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

How Ingratiating! posted:

You can always do what I do and avoid using dialogue tags 80% of the time!

This works for simple, brief exchanges--but when you get into longer conversations, or dialogue with more than two speakers, a lack of dialogue tags can confuse the reader, particularly when the characters' voices aren't differentiated enough.

Of course, when every character has a distinct, recognizable voice, then most dialogue tags become redundant, as the reader will instinctively recognize what lines belong to what character.

I'm not sure if anyone here is interested in stuff like Jane Eyre, but the exchanges between Jane and Mr. Rochester are great examples of tagless dialogue in action. I'm not sure you could get away with it to the same extent in contemporary fiction, but the two characters' voices are so distinct that the reader never has trouble telling them apart, despite the fact that there are frequently pages and pages of dialogue with nary a tag in sight.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I mostly use said if two characters were talking and then a third one joins in, just to reemphasize that the third dude isn't just doing something while the back and forth happens.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Hi thread. I have a sample I'd like to be critiqued. Thanks.

"Having just moved to the area from New England, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a feel for the town. With comfortable sneakers and a sunny sky, I picked a direction and started walking. Growing up in valleys and around mountains, The first thing I noticed was the flat landscape and picturesque suburban setting. Almost as if I had been dropped into a fictional world created by a non-American who was asked to describe this country.

Single-story single family homes with decorative fences, pools or trampolines in the backyards and a single straight driveway leading to either a carport or garage. Complete with stay at home mothers watching their young children, men and husbands either working or tending to their lawns of always lush green grass. Not three blocks into this walk and I had come upon a public park called "Ridgeland".

As this was a Friday, I remember thinking it odd how deserted it was. I first came upon a large wooden plaque designating the park's name and a list of rules. The basics all applied; no littering, no skateboards, no overnight camping, etc. Walking down the park's length, I was surprised by it's massive size and amenities. Almost every outdoor activity imaginable was doable here. benches, outdoor grills, restrooms, basket and tennis courts, a playground and even a sizeable bike park. Why skateboards were prohibited for use on the bike park doesn't make sense to me, but I do neither."

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

rizuhbull posted:

"Having just moved to the area from New England, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a feel for the town. With comfortable sneakers and a sunny sky, I picked a direction and started walking.
'With comfortable sneakers and a sunny sky' doesn't read quite right to me, because the shoes are something your character has, while the sun is something that's just in the environment. 'Picked a direction and started walking' is somewhat of a common phrase, so I'd replace it. Stock phrases tend to make people gloss over and forget what you were saying in the first place.

quote:

Growing up in valleys and around mountains, The first thing I noticed was the flat landscape and picturesque suburban setting. Almost as if I had been dropped into a fictional world created by a non-American who was asked to describe this country.
I can empathize with the protagonist noticing the lack of hills. I'm not sure about the choice of simile though. I get that you're trying to combine the idea of flatness and the suburban nature, but I'm not buying into that imagery, mostly because you didn't put any imagery there. Since I also grew up around hills and then went to flat places, here's my five-second rewrite of how that felt:

I grew up around mountains. To me, the horizon was always filled with peaks, always a tree-lined border around the sky. But the sky here was huge and bold, dominating my view all the way down to the color-matched roofs of the homes around me.

quote:

Single-story single family homes with decorative fences, pools or trampolines in the backyards and a single straight driveway leading to either a carport or garage. Complete with stay at home mothers watching their young children, men and husbands either working or tending to their lawns of always lush green grass. Not three blocks into this walk and I had come upon a public park called "Ridgeland".
You have one complete sentence and two sentence fragments in this paragraph. I also don't know what point of view you're coming from. It seems like this is all things your protagonist sees, so I can get the houses, the yards, the mothers and young kids, and the husbands tending their lawns, but if they're working, wouldn't they be, you know, at work and not at home? "Men and husbands" is also weird as a phrase. How does your character know the name? You don't tell us that he sees a plaque until a paragraph break later. A reader is going to be understanding your story in the order you tell it. My five-second rewrite of that and the next line or two:

Three blocks down away from my home, I found an empty park. A tall wooden plaque at the entrance read 'Ridgeland Park', with a list of rules printed in large type beneath.

quote:

As this was a Friday, I remember thinking it odd how deserted it was. I first came upon a large wooden plaque designating the park's name and a list of rules. The basics all applied; no littering, no skateboards, no overnight camping, etc. Walking down the park's length, I was surprised by it's massive size and amenities. Almost every outdoor activity imaginable was doable here. benches, outdoor grills, restrooms, basket and tennis courts, a playground and even a sizeable bike park. Why skateboards were prohibited for use on the bike park doesn't make sense to me, but I do neither."
The first sentence is at least twice as long as it needs to be and you don't even need it. "I remember thinking it odd" is redundant because with the first-person past-tense narration, we already assume that what we're reading is his telling of the story. But more importantly, you/your protagonist is telling us that it's odd. That's something you should be able to convey through details--a largely-printed list of rules posted up in multiple places, maybe, or a library-like quiet, or a jungle gym with immaculately even mulch, like no one's ever played on it. Whatever works for the story you're telling, but if your protagonist thinks it's odd, at least have him say "It was odd how deserted it was," or better yet, have him tell us how deserted it was, and we the readers will go, "oh, that's odd" for you.

You use it's incorrectly, where it should be its. You also forgot to capitalize your sentence fragment. Maybe you meant that to be a colon instead of a period? "Almost every outdoor activity was doable here" is an awkward sentence, because 'every outdoor activity' is an unnatural phrase (it sounds like what you'd see on a brochure) and 'was doable here' is passive tense. Plus, skating is an outdoor activity and skating isn't doable. My advice would be to drop that sentence and stick "there were" in front of the sentence fragment where you list what there was.

Your last line has tense and comprehension issues. You use both past and present tense ('skateboarding was prohibited'/'doesn't make sense to me'), but more importantly, your sentence wanders from where you start. The parts of that sentence are: [Why skateboards are prohibited] [doesn't make sense] [to me], [but I do neither]. The first two parts don't match up perfectly to me ('The rule against skateboards didn't make sense', I'd say, or something like that). But the real issue is that last part. As you're reading it, it comes off like 'it doesn't make sense, but I do,' before you get to the last word. And 'neither' doesn't work, because you haven't mentioned two actions, you only mentioned skateboarding in the bike park. So my five-second rewrite would be:

They had a bike park, so the rule against skateboards made even less sense, but I don't bike or skateboard anyway.

Overall what I'd say you should be working on is clarity and vividness. You've got a few very visual moments, but you don't do a whole lot with them, and I got tripped up on strange things or awkward words that took me out of the flow. One thing you can do to help with the clarity issues is just to read out what you've written to yourself. Try to read it as naturally as possible. If there's a part you get to where it doesn't flow naturally, change it to make it more smooth and natural. As for the vividness, all I can suggest is to try to get inside the head of your character, and imagine the details that he sees. A small detail can anchor a broad idea clearly--like if you wanted to stress the regular nature of the suburban houses, maybe your protagonist notices that they always alternate between a carport and a garage. A small, well chosen detail like that does two jobs: first, it creates an image in someone's head, and second, because you picked that detail to underscore a larger idea, now that idea is now going to stick around in that person's head.

Also, what is a bike park? Is it like a skate park, but you're not allowed to bring skateboards? If so, why would he think of it as a 'bike park'? Or maybe that's just me, but I've always heard of those sorts of areas referred to as specifically "skate parks".

elfdude
Jan 23, 2014

Mad Scientist

rizuhbull posted:

Having just moved to the area from New England I can't help but feel that this is a wasted opportunity. You describe where you came from but not where you're going to. If this is happening the real world then call upon our internal catalog to save yourself some effort describing. Otherwise the 'to the area' part seems redundant and pointless., I figured it'd be a good idea to get a feel for the town. With comfortable sneakers and a sunny sky, I picked a direction and started walking. Growing up in valleys and around mountains, The first thing I noticed was the flat landscape and picturesque suburban setting. Too much telling. You're using words which, to you, seem to have some very specific meanings, but need to remember not everyone sees the same meanings, this is why using words like picturesque is a pretty poor descriptor. Describe the suburban landscape, we don't need to know it is one. On the other hand say it's suburban, and leave it at that. Almost as if I had been dropped into a fictional world created by a non-American who was asked to describe this country. I feel this description is a bit weak, I'm struggling to picture a fictional world created by a non-american asked to describe this country. I know my English friend would create an effigy of the deep south and gun violence, my French friend would picture healthcare issues and poor schools, while my Filipino friend thinks of the US as a paradise. The best I can come up with is a urban sprawl out in California like at the intro of Weeds, but I find myself referring back to the description throughout trying to figure out what it meant

Single-story single family homes This would be a good opportunity to use some jargon, or words with more selective meaning. 'Single-story single family' is a bit jarring. Single family is a bit silly to delineate as well as probably isn't needed if you're describing a suburban environment, I know when I picture a single-story home I picture the typical american dream house but perhaps that's just me with decorative fences, pools or trampolines in the backyards and a single straight driveway leading to either a carport or garage. Which houses have carports? That's an interesting bit of description and in my experience I've never seen a stick built home with a carport, regardless it does sort of shatter the picturesque description you're creating. The laundry lists of description really evoke an entirely sterile environment, not the environment you're trying to paint Complete with stay at home mothers watching their young children, men and husbands either working or tending to their lawns of always lush green grass. This sentence needs some work the description is clumsy and confusing. The nuclear family might be a better descriptor, because I find the stay-at-home etc descriptors to be a bit offensive but at the very least this is your first real time showing rather than telling. Not three blocks into this walk and I had come upon a public park called "Ridgeland". Not three blocks is a bit clumsy, less than three blocks perhaps? This walk seems to be referring to a specific type of walking, rather than the act of walking itself, I'd use the walk

As this was a Friday Weak writing here, as this, perhaps should 'Considering this was a' The as this strikes me. It's about as clumsy as an 'And' at the start of a sentence, I remember thinking it odd how deserted it was. eh weak description here, how do you know its deserted? Yes, you can say it's deserted but there's a lot of times where we don't see people and immediately assume mygosh it's deserted. What makes this any different? Furthermore, this description should be a realization your character has after they observe the park, so it's a bit clumsy to have you immediately describing the park with a blanket statement, then starting the next sentence with a very specific set of description. I first came upon a large wooden plaque designating the park's name and a list of rules. The basics all applied; no littering, no skateboards, no overnight camping, etc. Of course, we all can imagine what the rules were. No need to explain any of this Walking down the park's length, I was surprised by it's massive size and amenities. It's odd that it's deserted, and it's surprising that it has so many amenities and is so large, these descriptions should be connected IMO Almost Weak term, either cut or use a better descriptor every outdoor activity imaginable was doable doable? ew. Rewrite the sentence here. benches, outdoor grills, restrooms, basket and tennis courts, a playground and even a sizeable bike park. I mean, great if you're going to describe these things, but if you're going to then put a bit more effort into describing them and remove the blanket generalizations from your earlier description, describe how the grills are empty, how the chains on the playground swing groan as if crying out in loneliness or etc. Paint a picture. Why skateboards were prohibited for use on the bike park doesn't make sense to me, but I do neither.Why speak about this at all? I mean with the setting you set up here, your reader is going to be trying to find clues to why the park is abandoned in your description, this means you need to be pretty deliberate with not over-describing anything, and also using enough detail that the reader has a sense of where they are and what the character is feeling and why. Not, he was at point A, feeling emotion M because of action Z, but rather 'as he wandered through the park he felt his hair stand on end' or etc

Overall not a terrible piece IMO, the central plot item seems to be the emptiness of the park which I'd imagine you're going to talk about. Regardless tone down the telegraphic description, use some more imagery description. For example telling me he wore a trenchcoat tells me nothing more than he wore a trenchcoat, telling me that he wore a trenchcoat like an old mystery protagonist gives me the image of Casanova. Or better yet, google showing vs telling.

I don't know, it's hard to offer more than that to a piece of description.

elfdude fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 3, 2014

Clicky Pen
Sep 23, 2007
Hello, would you like anything duct taped to your walls?
Hi thread, I like reading and talking about words.

rizuhbull posted:

Hi thread. I have a sample I'd like to be critiqued. Thanks.

"Having just moved to the area from New England, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a feel for the town. With comfortable sneakers and a sunny sky, I picked a direction and started walking. Growing up in valleys and around mountains, The first thing I noticed was the flat landscape and picturesque suburban setting. Almost as if I had been dropped into a fictional world created by a non-American who was asked to describe this country. Is this just to describe a stereotypical view of America? There can be many views, as mentioned in other posts, so maybe pick one?

Single-story single family homes with decorative fences, pools or trampolines in the backyards and a single straight driveway leading to either a carport or garage. Complete with stay at home mothers watching their young children, men and husbands either working or tending to their lawns of always lush green grass. Not three blocks into this walk and I had come upon a public park called "Ridgeland". Is the park right after the houses? Is this actually a thing somewhere? This isn't really a point against you, just me being curious. I can't say I'm used to this.

As this was a Friday, I remember thinking it odd how deserted it was. I first came upon a large wooden plaque designating the park's name and a list of rules. The basics all applied; no littering, no skateboards, no overnight camping, etc. Walking down the park's length, I was surprised by it's massive size and amenities. Almost every outdoor activity imaginable was doable here. benches, outdoor grills, restrooms, basket and tennis courts, a playground and even a sizeable bike park. Why skateboards were prohibited for use on the bike park doesn't make sense to me, but I do neither. I like the five second rewrite earlier, but maybe clarify that the narrator especially doesn't care, if that's important."

A lot has already been said about this, but I hope I helped. I think through most of the excerpt, I was wondering where you're going with things.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
I did a crit on the most recent thing, which was rizuhbull's story snippet.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cXa_orZzmzq85PFuHnNbkxwXcKnK6Urzb04PkKbPDiM/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone mind doing a thing to this:

quote:

It’s late. Already you’re gone, your mind is, chemicals swirling around your neurons: kissing them quietly, slowly, seductively.

You lay back, the couch the perfect height to support your spine as it curls, happy to let your organs settle against the tired vertebrae.

An arm reaches around you. Second-order, it queries to your buzzing ears.

You smile. Yeah, for sure, why not.

I think I’ll kiss you after this one, if that’s alright with you, the arm, its voice asks.

Yeah, go for it.

Exhale, inhale the sweet anesthetic, then warmth. It’s gentle, a calm frantic. The arm, its hand, finds its way to your shoulder, your neck, your face.

It asks, Do you know how utterly beautiful you are?

And you don’t, but the arm, that voice, it could persuade you.

There’s more kissing, and your breathing grows heavier with lust.

The arm says, My bed is more comfortable than the floor. It trails off, an unasked question in its veins.

Yeah. Yes.

It feels the same: you’re numb from the metallic air. But it’s still just as solid, as inviting. The arm came with.

It pulls you to it, warm and steady. Kisses your neck, trails its tongue along your collarbone and whispers to no part of you in particular, So beautiful.

Thank you, you answer numb and hungry.

There’s a hand on your spine, caressing those same tired vertebrae, another unspoken question pulsing through it.

Sounds of assension, quiet and bursting through the room, they float from your throat and into his.

The kisses stray from their target, but no one seems to mind, you or the hand and all its pieces.

There’s motion and heat and soft sounds, a chorus of pleasure all together playing the room. Then quiet, and more sweet air.

The arm finds its way back to your shoulder, your tired spine. It’s gentle, and it asks no more questions.

Starter Wiggin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 14, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Starter Wiggin posted:

It’s late. Already you’re gone, your mind is, chemicals swirling around your neurons: kissing them quietly, slowly, seductively.

Punchier without the explication. Don't love the description of swirling and kissing either. I think that can be done better.

You lay back, the couch the perfect height to support your spine as it curls, happy to let your organs settle against the tired vertebrae.

Not in keeping with the tone, kind of gross & weird, bizarrely tangential.

An arm reaches around you. Second-order, it queries to your buzzing ears.

I do not understand the second sentence + buzzing ears is a slip in observational capability from what you are seeing to a more omniscient POV imo

You smile. Yeah, for sure, why not.

I think I’ll kiss you after this one, if that’s alright with you, the arm, its voice asks.

This is where you can cut away from "the arm" and just go with the voice.

Yeah, go for it.

Exhale, inhale the sweet anesthetic, then warmth. It’s gentle, a calm frantic (:catstare:). The arm, its hand, finds its way to your shoulder, your neck, your face.

First sentence a little hammy. Not a good oxymoron.

It asks, Do you know how utterly beautiful you are?

And you don’t, but the arm, that voice, it could persuade you.

There’s more kissing, and your breathing grows heavier with lust.

Nitpicky, but better shown and not told.

The arm says, My bed is more comfortable than the floor. It trails off, an unasked question in its veins.

veins and junk what is this doing here

Yeah. Yes.

It feels the same: you’re numb from the metallic air. But it’s still just as solid, as inviting. The arm came with.

Metallic air? Do you live in a factory? These sentences are a tad nonsense-y

It pulls you to it, warm and steady. Kisses your neck, trails its tongue along your collarbone and whispers to no part of you in particular, So beautiful.

Arm is still personified, so now it has grown a tongue. I just see no need for it, you dig?

Thank you, you answer numb and hungry.

There’s a hand on your spine, caressing those same tired vertebrae, another unspoken question pulsing through it.

Pulsing through what? The tired vertebrae? Also I don't like that.

Sounds of assension, quiet and bursting through the room, they float from your throat and into his.

Woah woah, complete POV shift occurring here. Now the reader is "you", and he has become third person, when before we were in his shoes. That is, unless this is two guys, in which case I had no point of reference to go on for the narrator's gender.

The kisses stray from their target, but no one seems to mind, you or the hand and all its pieces.

The hand causing more trouble again. "All its pieces" is weird.

There’s motion and heat and soft sounds, a chorus of pleasure all together playing the room. Then quiet, and more sweet air.

The arm finds its way back to your shoulder, your tired spine. It’s gentle, and it asks no more questions.

It's nice, but it clearly has an audience of one if you know what I mean. Some parts are flat-out unpoetic, i.e. tired vertebrae, while other parts jar me unnecessarily like the needless personification of the arm. It waxes on the better side of being a bit adolescent. Romantic fluff is not the easiest to do well.

I always treat description one of two ways: Either I play it realistic, in that I want my readers to picture what I'm talking about, or identify through experience. Just a nice landscape painting. Or I go impressionistic, and throw some curveballs, leave a lot implicit and do a lot of fancy literary stuff. Mixing both is difficult and dangerous, because if a reader is expecting to envision rather than "get a feel" for what is happening, weird descriptions like "unasked questions in its veins" (and the repetitive "unspoken question pulsing through it" reads like meaningless word-wankery, especially when you play it po-faced and straight 90% of the time. A reader only gets jarred when something deviates from the norm, so if you set a standard it is best to stick with it (unless you contextualise something as an acid trip, fever dream etc. and yes I am aware this story starts off with drugs but the narrator seems pretty lucid so OK then)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Starter Wiggin posted:

Anyone mind doing a thing to this:

I'm not very experienced with crits, and I realize this was posted a couple of weeks ago, but here's my opinion after a couple of read-throughs. I think personifying the arm throughout the piece weakens the whole thing. "An arm reaches around you," works, "The arm says, My bed is more comfortable than the floor," doesn't. It's jarring to suddenly have the arm apparently talking in the middle of a lusty scene. Descriptions like "tired vertebrae" just completely yanked me out of the story because they don't flow with the rest of your writing. I'm not sure what the intent of your piece was but I was also a little confused about spending the whole time describing how someone feels during foreplay, all those emotions building up, and then the characters spend exactly one sentence having sex. The whole thing might be stronger if you described emotions during sex as well. I agree with the above poster that romantic scenes are really hard to get right but you can pull it off with some modifications.

As for me--here's the first bit of a short story I've been working on, my first try at fiction writing in a while. It's basically one big personal exercise in "showing not telling" and I have no idea if I am pulling it off well, so please critique!

Nolichucky

"Get the drat water, boy, and be quick about it!"

Christopher's sooty hand flew up just in time to catch the faded wooden pail before it whacked him in the face. He turned without a word and dashed through the door, blinking as the sunlight slammed into his eyes. The dust beneath his bare feet rose gently into the air as he slowed down to a skip, sucking in the warm spring air. To everyone else, it was an uncommonly hot day for this time of year. Christopher, who spent every day of the year next to a blazing hot forge, found even stagnent summer air refreshing.

The ground squished and slid beneath his toes as he neared the creek. Christopher trotted behind the big tree that blocked the view of the river from the blacksmith's shop and happily leapt into the air, his feet splattering mud everywhere with a satisfying splat as he slid down the bank towards the sparkling blue river. A squirrel chattered, its tiny jaw moving in quick little bursts of anger as it skittered up a tree out of Christopher's path. The sky seemed impossibly bright as Christopher looked up through the waving branches, the tip of the squirrel's fluffy tail vanishing just out of his sight.

"Ow!" The sky vanished as Christopher flung forward, pain shooting through his toes as his body smashed into the ground, mud filling his mouth. He barely saw the gray of a large rock sticking up in the middle of the path before suddenly there was sky again, rock, sky, rock, sky. His hands flew out, grasping for the bucket handle, but only splashed into cool water, and then his whole body was splashing as the spinning world came to a halt and the taste of mud was replaced with earthy water.

The sound of laughter floated over the river and Christopher cowered, expecting the laughter to be drowned out in a moment by the whistle of a lash about to slash across his back. He trembled.

"Oh, Eliza, he's really hurt." A girl's voice, not the voice of his master.

"He'd not be hurt if he were proper, he's just Mister John's 'prentice."

"Don't being a 'prentice mean one day he'll be a smith just like Mister John?"

"If he can't get water wi'out drowning, Mister John ain't going to be training him much longer."

A few splashes grew closer. Christopher pushed his dripping hair out of his eyes as rustling pink fabric filled his vision.

"Yer bucket's okay, it didn't break." The bucket thrust towards him.

Christopher glanced up, blinking the last bit of water from his eyes. A girl gazed at him with eyes the color of the river, and when he met her eyes, her round cheeks grew plumper as she grinned. A second girl on the opposite river bank stomped her foot, pulling her blue skirts up to keep them from dragging in the mud.

"Catherine, hurry up, or I'm goin' back wit'out you and you can have Ma's switching."

Catherine stood up, brown braids swinging across her face as she turned to glare. "Eliza, yer oldest so Ma will switch you too for not being responsblah."

"It's responsablah, and I'll switch you for makin' us late wi' the water."

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Pata Pata Pata Pon posted:

Nolichucky

"Get the drat water, boy, and be quick about it!" Maybe I'm just thick but it took me until I read back to the beginning to figure out that he's fetching water for the blacksmith. I'm not sure about starting on dialogue--it seems like maybe you shouldn't, but I don't feel like I can make that distinction yet.

Christopher's sooty hand flew up just in time to catch the faded wooden pail before it whacked him in the face. The tricky part of showing instead of telling is that detail on its own doesn't turn it into showing. This feels more like telling to me, because even with the detail, you're still telling me he's got a sooty hand and a faded wooden pail. (Note that writing an entire story by showing without telling would be hard--telling gets information across succinctly, while showing creatively elaborates on details. He turned without a word and dashed through the door, blinking as the sunlight slammed into his eyes. Grammar tip: Watch your -ing phrases. They're very easy to slap onto sentences, but they make your sentences longer and sometimes don't make lexical sense. Here, having 'blinking' be an -ing phrase makes it sound like he's doing it the whole time he's turning and dashing. The dust beneath his bare feet rose gently Words such as gently, softly, slightly, seemed--cut them. into the air as he slowed down to a skip, sucking in the warm spring air. This sentence could be shorter; you've got three ideas (the dust rose, he slowed, he sucked). Break it down to two or one per sentence. To everyone else, it was an uncommonly hot day for this time of year. Christopher, who spent every day of the year next to a blazing hot forge, found even stagnent I don't know what you typed this in but consider a spelling pass. summer air refreshing.

The ground squished and slid This isn't bad in terms of showing (maybe I just like how squish and slid read like the sort of sounds mud makes) but I think 'ground' confuses things a little. Maybe 'shore' or 'mud'? beneath his toes as he neared the creek. Christopher trotted behind the big tree that blocked the view of the river from the blacksmith's shop and happily leapt leaped into the air, his feet splattering mud everywhere with a satisfying splat as he slid down the bank towards the sparkling blue river. Woah that is a big sentence. Christopher trotted and leaped, hsi feet splattering as he slid down the bank--there's about four things there, not counting the phrase where you mentioned the tree. Split it up. A squirrel chattered, its tiny jaw moving in quick little bursts of anger I think you were trying to show here, but you got caught up in squirrel jaws. When you show, you want to engage the senses. Make it seem like I'm really hearing a squirrel cry. as it skittered up a tree out of Christopher's path. The sky seemed see above note on words to cut impossibly bright as Christopher looked up through the waving branches, the tip of the squirrel's fluffy tail vanishing just out of his sight.

"Ow!" The sky vanished as Christopher flung forward, pain shooting through his toes as his body smashed into the ground, mud filling his mouth. I get that he's falling but last thing I knew he was sliding down a slope so what's happening now? He barely saw the gray of a large rock sticking up in the middle of the path before suddenly there was sky again, rock, sky, rock, sky. For better ~*showing*~ I might try to describe the pain of getting bowled over, the feeling of mud in his mouth, or the vertigo you get when you're falling and can't control yourself. His hands flew out, grasping for the bucket handle, but only splashed into cool water, and then his whole body was splashing as the spinning world came to a halt and the taste of mud was replaced with earthy water.

The sound of laughter floated over the river and Christopher cowered, expecting the laughter to be drowned out in a moment by the whistle of a lash about to slash across his back. He trembled.

"Oh, Eliza, he's really hurt." A girl's voice, not the voice of his master. Sentence fragment

"He'd not be hurt if he were proper, he's just Mister John's 'prentice." But whose voice is this?

"Don't being a 'prentice mean one day he'll be a smith just like Mister John?"

"If he can't get water wi'out drowning, Mister John ain't going to be training him much longer." Dialogue is kind of awkward. I know that you're going for a period/regional thing with the phrasing, but since I don't know what Christopher even did (some kind of leaping slide fall tumble into a river but there was a rock involved) I don't know what "if he were proper" is trying to say. I don't quite feel the flow from the second line to the third or the third to the fourth. Conversation in real life has a bit of a back and forth, and I got that from the "He's really hurt," "He wouldn't be hurt if he was proper" lines. Maybe it goes back to me not being sure what 'proper' means.

A few splashes grew closer.Wording here is weird. Christopher pushed his dripping hair out of his eyes as rustling pink fabric filled his vision.

"Yer bucket's okay, it didn't break." The bucket thrust towards him. What did the bucket thrust toward him?

Christopher glanced up, blinking the last bit of water from his eyes. A girl gazed at him with eyes the color of the river, and when he met her eyes, her round cheeks grew plumper as she grinned. Number one, I don't actually know what color the river is. Rivers can be a lot of colors. Number two, you're stacking ideas on top of ideas here. Split them up and it won't seem like such a weird cluster of actions, and your pacing will get better. A second girl on the opposite river bank stomped her foot, wait were they yelling across a river at each other? Rivers are pretty big. pulling her blue skirts up to keep them from dragging in the mud.

"Catherine, hurry up, or I'm goin' back wit'out you and you can have Ma's switching."

Catherine stood up, brown braids swinging across her face as she turned to glare. "Eliza, yer oldest so Ma will switch you too for not being responsblah."

"It's responsablah, and I'll switch you for makin' us late wi' the water." I'm ambivalent on the regional dialect. On one hand, it can come off awkward in prose. On the other hand, I once wrote a story B'rer Rabbit-style, so I'm as guilty as you.

The biggest stumbling blocks I saw to comprehension were your kudzu sentences and the whole whatever was happening to Christopher. Regarding the sentences, it's something I think a lot of writers have to work hard at. It's definitely something I have to do when I do revisions on my stuff. I end up tossing on those extra phrases when they would sound and read better as their own separate sentences. Don't be afraid to have short sentences if it makes things clearer.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Ha, I know wordiness in my writing is something I need to work on and I even cut some stuff before posting that snippit here. Clearly it's something I need to keep working on, and I will! "Nolichucky" is the name of the river but you're right, in my mind they're really more in a creek-type environment so I guess I need to change the river references to a creek. I'm not sure about the dialect either. Maybe I will tone it down and see if it sounds okay, or if it just sounds like my grammar sucks and drop the dialect all together.

Clicky Pen
Sep 23, 2007
Hello, would you like anything duct taped to your walls?
Welp, time to throw this out there. It's small, but it's a start.

quote:

I’m not sure where I am.

The air is cold, chilly enough that I can see my breath in the moonlight. It’s been nearly an hour since I last had my bearings. My cabin was cozy, secluded, safe. Now, here in the forest, I am exposed. Not just to the elements, but to the wild things they house.

My research over the past year has led me to this pristine patch of trees, far away from even the least sensible of humanity. The lunatics never make it this far. The industrialists and the businessmen, they have far safer lands to exploit. Only the dedicated, those who cannot fathom living another day without knowing... they are the ones who reach death’s haven. My cabin, back a few miles, contains evidence of a similar minded person: an old tome, furiously scrawled notes, and a pot full of a murky ooze. The bones of many others remain as a testament to our sociability. They were misinformed, or perhaps naive, fated to realize that mere wooden walls do not block the path of the horrors we’re after.

Back to the woods. I’m sitting on a small hill overlooking a glade, a blanket of leaves behind me. Below, I have found my prey. Its long, sinuous body flickers in and out of corporeality as the moonlight reflects off its ebon skin. Two wavering limbs drift alongside the beast as it floats around the clearing. Here, there are many more remains, with many artifacts and books to accompany them.

The beast gurgles loudly, surely distorted as the ghastly sound is released across several planes. It mourns.

Its mate taken care of previously, I have returned to finish the job. Where the others have failed, I will not.

Also just wanted to say re: Nolichucky that I'm on board with the dialect, so far.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Clicky Pen posted:

I’m not sure where I am I don't think you need this, but if you like it maybe put it after the second sentence. Maybe something more simple like "I don't know where I am." This just reads weak compared to the second sentence.

The air is cold, chilly enough that I can see my breath in the moonlight I like this. It’s been nearly an hour since I last had my bearings. My cabin was cozy, secluded, safe. Now, here in the forest, I am exposed why did he leave his house at night?. Not just to the elements, but to the wild things they house find a better word; "house" is too claustrophobic for what you are describing.

My research over the past year has led me to this pristine patch of trees so he does know where he is? is it a patch of trees or a forest? are these two separate locations?, far away from even the least sensible of humanity this feels awkward, rearrange or find a descriptor. Otherwise, this is a good notion to follow. The lunatics never make it this far I like this. The industrialists and the businessmen, they have far safer lands to exploit. Only the dedicated, those who cannot fathom living another day without knowing... ellipses are lazy; if you want to use them put them in dialog to make the statement wistful they are the ones who reach death’s haven explain what this is and maybe capitalize it if it's a location of importance. My cabin, back a few miles, contains evidence of a similar minded person: an old tome, furiously scrawled notes, and a pot full of a murky ooze are these his or things he's found? is he some kind of shaman?. The bones of many others remain as a testament to our sociability he's killing dudes?. They were misinformed, or perhaps naive, fated to realize that mere wooden walls do not block the path of the horrors we’re after.i like this

Back to the woods physically back to the woods or are you drawing the reader there again? It seems like he knows where he is. I’m sitting on a small hill maybe a cliff? overlooking a glade, a blanket of leaves behind me. Below, I have found my prey. Its long, sinuous body flickers in and out of corporeality as the moonlight reflects off its ebon skin. Two wavering limbs drift alongside the beast as it floats literally floating or is it walking around? around the clearing. Here, there are many more remains, with many artifacts and books to accompany them.make these things relevant

Its mate taken care of previously, I have returned to finish the job ok, so, he totally knows where he is or did he find his bearings again?. Where the others have failed, I will not. cause

The beast gurgles loudly, surely distorted as the ghastly sound is released across several planes sweet. It mourns. effect
I want to know more about what you are describing. I like the setting and I am interested, but the specifics are not there for me to latch onto and if they are there they are muddled with logical errors or vague attachments. Describe how he figures out where he is again. If he is lost make him lost: have him tell us how he got lost, where he was going, more about the area (or areas?), and why did he leave at night? Is your creature nocturnal? Tell me more about the beast!

You have some neat sentences and ideas floating around so all you have to do is elaborate and you'll have yourself a story.

Also, write more like the parts I liked. They are concise and clear.

Now it's my turn to get shredded.
Faux Pas
353 words

As he grabs her forearm she drops her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to scatter across an oaken-floor.

“Charlotte—you're going to apologize!”

“I have nothing to say to him.”

They stand in a room filled with suited men and women in their fineries now aghast as man and wife collide.

“I sincerely apologize for any offense she may have caused—Apologize!”

“Let me go, Stan!”

The crowd winces as Charlotte cries out in pain. Stan's grip tightens in response to each of her attempts to break free, causing Charlotte's arm to turn red in distress.

“Stan, you're hurting me!”

The crowd gasps as Stan glimpses himself in Charlotte's watch. Disheveled and red-in-the-face he shakes his head and releases his wife's arm.

He wonders to himself: “Where did I go wrong?”

The day started like any other Sunday. They had an early breakfast with Charlotte's Mother and Father over mimosas. They enjoyed a spirited discussion over the state of the countries failing economy. There were no arguments and things progressed civilly. They finished the morning with a few games of backgammon.

At noon, Mother and Father left to meet friends at the Verdant Courts country club. Stan spent the afternoon drinking scotch and reading the news paper. Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations for the couple's anniversary.

At four, Charlotte reminded Stan of their obligation to attend a friend's party.
We're having a party tomorrow night—why does she have to throw us another?”
“I told you—she won't be able to attend our party—Stan.”

They arrived at the party two hours later and both began to drink champagne. The couple split to mix amongst friends. For another hour the party progressed well enough until—bringing up the state of the economy—Charlotte inadvertently insulted a man. Stan interjected in an attempt to smooth over the faux pas, insisting that Charlotte apologize. Charlotte was vehemently defending her statements when Stan reached out to grab her.

As he grabbed her forearm she dropped her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to be scattered across an oaken-floor.

----
My questions for you:
Is the tense shift jarring or does it make sense in context?
Does this sentence, "Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations for the couple's anniversary..." read too wordy?

Not_Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 24, 2014

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

Faux Pas
353 words

As he grabs her forearm she drops her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to scatter across an oaken-floor. A bit overwrought. 'Oak floor' is fine. Also consider using 'the' oak floor. Brings the reader into the scene more.

“Charlotte—you're going to apologize!”I wouldn't use exclamation marks to show a character's anger / frustration. This should be clear from the context. For example, '"You're going to apologise." The fury in his voice broke into the conversations of the people around them. They stared at the couple.'

They stand in a room filled with suited men and women in their fineries now aghast as man and wife collide.

“I sincerely apologize for any offense she may have caused—Apologize!” Not clear Stan is addressing the crowd and then his wife.

“Let me go, Stan!”

The crowd winces as Charlotte cries out in pain. Stan's grip tightens in response to each of her attempts to break free, causing Charlotte's arm to turn red in distress. Weird statement. People can be in distress. Arms can't.

The crowd gasps as Stan glimpses himself in Charlotte's watch. Why would the crowd gasp at an action that's only apparent to Stan? Also, is it really realistic for Stan to see himself in someone else's watch? Could he catch his reflection in a mirror or a window instead? Disheveled and red-in-the-face he shakes his head and releases his wife's arm.

He wonders to himself: “Where did I go wrong?”

The day started like any other Sunday. They had an early breakfast with Charlotte's Mother and Father over mimosas. They enjoyed a spirited discussion over the state of the countries failing economy. There were no arguments and things progressed civilly. They finished the morning with a few games of backgammon.

At noon, Mother and Father Makes it sound like it's the narrator's mother and father.left to meet friends at the Verdant Courts country club. Stan spent the afternoon drinking scotch and reading the news paper. Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations for the couple's anniversary.You mentioned you were concerned about this sentence. You could split it so the knowledge of an anniversary is given more weight: 'Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations. It was the couple's anniversary. One year. In sickness and in health.'

At four, Charlotte reminded Stan of their obligation to attend a friend's party.
We're having a party tomorrow night—why does she have to throw us another?” Depends what genre you're writing in but, in general, try to convey tone without using italics to mark emphasis.
“I told you—she won't be able to attend our party—Stan.”

They arrived at the party two hours later and both began to drink champagne. The couple split to mix amongst friends. For another hour the party progressed well enough until—bringing up the state of the economy—Charlotte inadvertently insulted a man. Is this a callback to the earlier discussion of the economy? If so what's the signifance? It's not clear to me. Stan interjected in an attempt to smooth over the faux pas, insisting that Charlotte apologize. Charlotte was vehemently defending her statements when Stan reached out to grab her.

As he grabbed her forearm she dropped her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to be scattered across an oaken-floor.

I like the shift in perspective from the event itself to the build up but, when the event comes back around, I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from the build up that makes the event itself more profound/interesting the second time.

For such a short piece there's quite a lot left unsaid. Try to bulk out the characters so the reader can engage more with what's happening and the people it's happening to.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
And here's something from me. Think I may have got a little carried away with the alliteration in the final para. Critique away!

Under St Pancras (376 words)

The clock on St Pancras says it’s just past nine. The last of the patent leather shoes scatter past me. I croak out a muffled line from where I’m sprawled out on the floor but no one pays attention.

I notice the birds massing on the roof opposite. Silhouetted against the blazing sun they’re caught like blotches on a polaroid. One of them gives the signal and they pop like blisters oozing sticky black oil down onto the concourse. The wings beat at each other and their beaks clack open and shut in a nightmarish rhythm. They tear scraps of food out of their neighbours’ mouths and split the rumbling of the trains with their scraping cries. My stomach cramps and I can feel a starchy, wet lump in the back of my throat.

As the birds’ fever rises to a crescendo a woman parts their silken mass with striding, pointed heels. I watch the muscles in her legs contract and relax; the taut strings of an ancient instrument. I turn my head away into the sun and let my eyelids burn. Dark, naked, oiled shapes split and morph and churn in black relief. I barely nod a thank you as she drops a coin into my cup.

I fall asleep and come around during the lunch rush. Bags of food everywhere. Plastic wrapped in plastic bagged in plastic. I glance up at the clock to see if the kitchen is open yet. Five more hours until I can queue and sit and eat. And then they make you sing. A loaf of bread for an empty, godless song.

There’s an endless orchestra playing around me. Violin bows beat up and down under the heavy sun. The strings carry resonances of money and time and leisure. It’s all a dischord to me. All a mess. But they play on, oblivious.

Kettle drum thunder catches the attention of the conductor and suddenly the orchestra clamours to climb out of the pit; a calm panic of politely crushed instrument cases and flattened sheet music. Soon there’s nothing left but me and the chanting percussion spitting splinters of rain. The station clock has stopped. The orchestra has gone. The birds are watching; breaking my metre with an off-kilter beat.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

Faux Pas
353 words

As he grabs her forearm she drops her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to scatter across an oaken-floor. first, unless you're trying to make poo poo sound fantasy as heck, don't say "oaken-floor" - if you are trying to make poo poo sound fantasy as heck, ew. second, why "an;" SHE drops HER glass, HE grabs HER forearm, everything is deliberate and intentional, then "eh also probably any floor i guess."

“Charlotte_—_you're going to apologize!” spaces here won't kill you and will actually make the reader pause for a second while reading - which is generally why people put dashes in anything. i'm marking all of these with _-_ now. also, who yells "you're going to apologize," the exclamation mark is dumb

They stand in a room filled with suited men and women in their fineries now aghast as man and wife collide. eugh

“I sincerely apologize for any offense she may have caused_—_Apologize!” space here again, but i don't know why you're throwing this into one sentence. here's an example of what i mean:

"I sincerely apologize for any offense my wife may have caused." Stan leans close to Charlotte's ear, his grip tightening in an unspoken threat. "Apologize, dear."

“Let me go, Stan!”

The crowd winces as Charlotte cries out in pain. the whole crowd as one backs away from the prom queen's barf Stan's grip tightens in response to each of her attempts to break free, causing Charlotte's arm to turn red in distress. too many words to say charlotte struggles, stan hates it

The crowd gasps as Stan glimpses himself in Charlotte's watch. a lone crowd member calls out "you can do eet" and a ska band starts playing Disheveled and red-in-the-facered in the face comma he shakes his head and releases his wife's arm. why though; earlier he's making a scene and doesn't care so why now

He wonders to himself: “Where did I go wrong?” if you directly ask a question, directly answer it*

The day started like any other Sunday.no no no this tense shift is hosed They stan and charlotte i guess had an early breakfast with Charlotte's Mother and Father over mimosas. They theythey enjoyed a spirited discussion over the state of the countries failing economy. There were no arguments and things progressed civilly.robotic sentence; beep boop robots have no need for argument They THEYYYYY finished the morning with a few games of backgammon. they finished the paragraph with an awkward sentence

At noon, Mother and Father who left to meet friends at the Verdant Courts country club. Stan spent the afternoon drinking scotch and reading the news paper. Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations for the couple's anniversary.

We're having a party tomorrow night—why does she have to throw us another?”
“I told you—she won't be able to attend our party—Stan.” this is the ugliest part of this doublestory and gives the readers nothing

They arrived at the party two hours later and both began to drinkdrank champagne. The couple split to mix amongst friends. For another hour the party progressed well enough until_—_bringing up the state of the economy_-_Charlotte inadvertently eh word insulted a man. Stan interjected in an attempt to smooth over the faux pas, insisting that Charlotte apologize. Charlotte was vehemently vehemence after inadvertence sounds like looking at thisdefending her statements when Stan reached out to grab her. oh so stan doesn't like it when charlotte expresses opinions i guess

As he grabbed her forearm she dropped her glass causing shards of crystal and beads of champagne to be scattered across an oaken-floor. why do you love the oaken-floor

----
My questions for you:
Is the tense shift jarring or does it make sense in context? jarring with potential, see notes
Does this sentence, "Charlotte made return calls to those friends who had left messages of congratulations for the couple's anniversary..." read too wordy? generally if you have to ask, yes
* you didn't answer this question
I like the concept of telling a story from two different perspectives; the idea of a couple fighting from both their perspectives is great, seeing a fight and having the mystery of why the fight happens unfold in a past-tense bit is cool. It's a decent idea, it's good practice. The execution though, euuughhgh.

Like, you do this thing with present tense in the start (which I'll be honest, I hate present tense, but the tense shift is sort of important to the style) that seems to be mostly from a third-person limited perspective; we're seeing poo poo from Stan's point of view. I don't know why he suddenly let Charlotte's arm go, but I know we're seeing a controlling rear end in a top hat making a scene over something that I guess is unimportant based on Charlotte's reaction.

Then we switch to past tense (in a super ugly introduction) and it's jarring as hell, because it's still a third-person limited Stan story; Charlotte's a prop, and we see a bit before the party happened, and it's irrelevant and the question Stan asked was never answered and it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I enjoy the concept behind the tense switching here but the execution just leaves me annoyed. You probably read some writing advice that says you should focus your story around conflict; this is true, but you should also try and resolve something, either the conflict, the questions in the audience's mind, a story, anything. I don't feel like I read a short story or exercise here, I feel like I read the rough drafts of someone trying out different methods of telling an introduction to a different story.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

The clock on St Pancras so i had to google this and i get that st pancras is a london railway station but it just looks like "st pancreas" - i'm your reader, i have no clue what a st pancras is, so i'm just going to assume from hereon out you're using typos for a joke until i'm bored of reading that way says it’s just past nine. The last of the patent leather shoes scatter past me. what how small are you I croak out a muffled line from where I’m sprawled out on the floor but no one pays attention. so this is a potential comedy about a tiny croaking dude that deals in rehearsed lines, got it - i'm reading about a talking PUA/thespian frog chilling out in a holy pancreas; this should be good

I notice the birds massing on the roof opposite. Silhouetted against the blazing suncomma they’re caught like blotches on a Polaroid. proper nouns need capitals One of them gives the signaldip, the birds can talk too, this is setting up something and they pop like blisters oozing sticky black oil down onto the concourse.why what what visual are you trying to do here; this is all wrong the birds are thing-like monstrosities of flesh? The wings beat at each other and their beaks clack open and shut in a nightmarisheh, i guess it's PRETTY nightmarey rhythm. i realized i'm not specific here - nightmarish rhythm is ugly, using something like "a nightmare of rhythm" or "a rhythm that induces nightmares" or "nightmare of snapping sounds" or "almost anything because your talking birds that the frog is watching suddenly got really fuckin' hammy with their imagery" They tear scraps of food out of their neighbours’ mouths and split the rumbling of the trains with their scraping cries.scraping on what My stomach cramps and I can feel a starchy, wet lump in the back of my throat.i read this a couple times to realize you meant "the frog is hungry" and nobody wants to read a story a couple times

As the birds’ fever rises to a crescendocomma a woman parts their silken mass with striding, pointed heels.she sounds like an old cartoon witch I watch the muscles in her legs contract and relax; the taut strings of an ancient instrument.there's such a thing as too much imagery I turn my head away into the sun and let my eyelids burn. Dark, naked, oiled shapes split and morph and churn in black relief.so she's a witch who made these monster birds have an orgy then? I barely nod a thank you as she drops a coin into my cup.wait why does a frog have a cup

I fall asleep and come around during the lunch rush. Bags of food everywhere.so i thought this was at a train station/pancreas but okay we're in a food court cool Plastic wrapped in plastic bagged in plastic. I glance up at the clock to see if the kitchen is open yet. Five more hours until I can queue and sit and eat.is the frog meant to not be able to do things around other people or... oh my god i get it now here we go And then they make you sing. A loaf of bread for an empty, godless song. hello my baby hello my honey HELLO MY RAGTIME GAAAAAAAALLLLLLL

There’s an endless orchestra playing around me. Violin bows beat up and down under the heavy sun. The strings carry resonances of money and time and leisure. It’s all a dischord to me. All a mess. But they play on, oblivious. wait why huh where did this band come from

Kettle drum thunder catches the attention of the conductor and suddenly the orchestra clamours to climb out of the pit; a calm panic of politely crushed instrument cases and flattened sheet music. Soon there’s nothing left but me and the chanting percussion spitting splinters of rain.i don't get where this band stuff comes from or what's happening The station clock has stopped. The orchestra has gone. The birds are watching; breaking my metre with an off-kilter beat.are the birds drummers now? what happened to the story about michigan j. frog and the witch and the fleshbeast crow orgy? is this an ending?
I don't know if you meant to write Michigan J. Frog fanfiction, but holy poo poo. Like, I'm sure this was meant to be a piece about a sad homeless dude hanging out around a train station/food court/music stage? but I had to stretch further to get that than I did a story about witches, singing frogs, and sex-haver crows.

I critiqued it on the story I read. The story I read suddenly has this whole band pop up around Michigan J. Frog, then go away, while he just kind of hangs out and waits for his chance to sing for some bread. If that's not your story, you didn't write a story, just a bunch of words that say "a guy sat around and looked at things for a couple hours." If that is your story, you need to sit back and think about how to write an ending that works with what you introduced to us because I genuinely don't know what I read other than there's a frog, and some suddenly Lovecraftian birdmonsters, and a witch, and then there's this band, and the band goes away, and the freakish crowbeasts kind of annoy Michigan by clicking their beaks in a different rhythm than "Hello! Ma Baby" goes.

Seriously I'm confused enough that I'd love for you to explain this to me and I generally hate when people try and explain their stories.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 28, 2014

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

The clock on St Pancras says it’s just past nine. The last of the patent leather shoes scatter past me. I croak out a muffled line from where I’m sprawled out on the floor but no one pays attention.

I notice the birds massing on the roof opposite. Silhouetted against the blazing sun they’re caught like blotches on a polaroid. One of them gives the signal and they pop like blisters oozing sticky black oil down onto the concourse. The wings beat at each other and their beaks clack open and shut in a nightmarish rhythm. They tear scraps of food out of their neighbours’ mouths and split the rumbling of the trains with their scraping cries. My stomach cramps and I can feel a starchy, wet lump in the back of my throat.

As the birds’ fever rises to a crescendo a woman parts their silken mass with striding, pointed heels. I watch the muscles in her legs contract and relax; the taut strings of an ancient instrument. I turn my head away into the sun and let my eyelids burn. Dark, naked, oiled shapes split and morph and churn in black relief. I barely nod a thank you as she drops a coin into my cup.

I fall asleep and come around during the lunch rush. Bags of food everywhere. Plastic wrapped in plastic bagged in plastic. I glance up at the clock to see if the kitchen is open yet. Five more hours until I can queue and sit and eat. And then they make you sing. A loaf of bread for an empty, godless song.

There’s an endless orchestra playing around me. Violin bows beat up and down under the heavy sun. The strings carry resonances of money and time and leisure. It’s all a dischord to me. All a mess. But they play on, oblivious.

Kettle drum thunder catches the attention of the conductor and suddenly the orchestra clamours to climb out of the pit; a calm panic of politely crushed instrument cases and flattened sheet music. Soon there’s nothing left but me and the chanting percussion spitting splinters of rain. The station clock has stopped. The orchestra has gone. The birds are watching; breaking my metre with an off-kilter beat.

First, the little things: The alliteration in the last paragraph is fine, don't worry about that. As Whalley said, specifying the church or cathedral or whatever as 'St. Pancras' is unnecessarily confusing, and looks like a typo or odd symbolism. I'd also be a bit careful with semicolon use, but that might just be my personal preferences talking.

I got the impression that the homeless man is a schizophrenic, or suffering from some related sort of mental illness. If he's not, then I don't see the point of all the slightly grotesque imagery. If he is, then the story works in a sort of impersonal 'narrative snapshot' kind of way - Though there wasn't much context for me to empathize with the man in any real way.

I guess the story just doesn't really have an impact with me. The first half makes me feel vaguely nauseous, and the second half doesn't really make me feel anything at all. What are you trying to make me feel with this? I'm curious.

Anyway, here's my thing:

quote:

Shifting
388 words

It was a particular day in February, a decade ago. It was bright out, very bright, even as the sun set. Snow blanketed the earth, occasionally intermixing with falling petals and leaves and blossoms. There was an aesthetic appeal, as if tiny paint splotches had fallen on a clean canvas. It was cold. I was waiting.

It took hours before I sighted my friend on the northern road. He was a speck on a lane of dirt and ice that stretched past my known world. He'd traveled its length and returned, and I knew before even seeing his face that the distance had changed him, hurt him. Even his speck looked morose.

Another half-hour before he stood in front of me. The moon had risen, and was full. Orange replaced silver, and fog crept in. I could see my friend staring past me, at a large patch of white mixed with ashes. He knew what I knew, and as I told him the news all he did was nod, and stare.

He asked to see the graves. While I walked with him to the cemetery, silent, I took the time to study his changes. He was in his military getup, which twinkled with a half-dozen badges and pins of honorable service. He walked upright, stiff, and would've seemed proud if his eyes hadn't been so dull. I wondered at how many people he had killed, and whether he was used to death.

We arrived at the cemetery. I led my friend to two sixth-month old plots near the center of the quiet place, and left him to any grief he had. As I neared the exit – passing the tombstones, old and new, the rows of markers above countless bodies dead of uncounted causes – I heard a gunshot. It cracked through the air, unsettling the ground. For a split second, I felt as if the quiet, funerary sanctuary had been defiled, and imagined skeletons shifting in their sleep. Then, I ran.

My friend's blood stained the tombstones of his wife and child. I thought I could feel its warmth as I stood over him, and as I called 911 I saw the thousands of red droplets that had stained the snow. Paint, creating a painting.

The blood cooled quickly. It was cold out, and I was waiting.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Rollofthedice posted:

It was a particular day in February, a decade ago. "It was [month], [year]" is not a captivating opening It was bright out, very bright, even as the sun set. Snow blanketed the earth, occasionally intermixing with falling petals and leaves and blossoms. Why are there flowers out in February? Flowers come out in spring, not winter There was an aesthetic appeal, i.e. "it looked good" as if tiny paint splotches had fallen on a clean canvas. If the sun is setting why is the snow white instead of the rusty orange of a fading day or whatever wordy way you'd try to say it? It was cold. I was waiting. I am too, when is the story going to start?

It took hours before I sighted I think you mean you 'saw' unless your friend is in the crosshairs of your sniper rifle my friend on the northern road. He was a speck on a lane of dirt and ice that stretched past my known world. duuuude He'd traveled its length and returned on his morning jog but seriously this is pretty cheesy, and I knew before even seeing his face that the distance had changed him, hurt him. Even his speck looked morose. Show me how a speck looks morose and I'll believe you, tell me it does and I'll call bullshit.

Another half-hour before he stood in front of me. not a sentence The moon had risen, and was full. Orange replaced silver Where do you live where sunsets are white?, and fog crept in. I could see my friend staring past me, at a large patch of white mixed with ashes. I don't know what this is. A burned house? Did you burn his house down and now you're going to snipe him? He knew what I knew, and as I told him the news all he did was nod, and stare.

Halfway done with your vignette and nothing's happened besides a conversation.

He asked to see the graves. While I walked with him to the cemetery, silent, I took the time to study his changes. Weird phrasing He was in his military getup if you're going for drab bleakness, getup is too goofy a word and military is vague, which twinkled with a half-dozen badges and pins of honorable service. He walked upright, stiff, and would've seemed proud if his eyes hadn't been so dull. I wondered at how many people he had killed "wow dude you killed SO MANY people" or did you mean he wondered instead of wondered at?, and whether he was used to death.

We arrived at the cemetery. I led my friend to two sixth-month old plots near the center of the quiet place, Place is like a dumb placeholder word here and left him to any grief he had. I'd say he probably has a nonzero amount of grief but I still don't know what happened so maybe you're just showing him some graves. Check out these hot plots dude. Best graves. As I neared the exit – passing the tombstones, old and new, the rows of markers above countless bodies dead of uncounted causes this mouthfeels dumb – I heard a gunshot. It cracked through the air, unsettling the ground. For a split second, I felt as if You are narrating this which means you get the special skill of being able to express how you felt without saying "this is how I felt". We know it's how you felt. You're the one who's saying it. the quiet, funerary sanctuary had been defiled, and split sentences here imagined skeletons shifting shifted in their sleep. Then, I ran.

My friend's blood stained the tombstones of his wife and child. Oh okay now I know what's happening now that the story is over. I thought I know it's your thoughts, you're narrating. I could feel its warmth as I stood over him, and as I called 911 I saw the thousands of red droplets that had stained the snow. You mashed four sentences together for this. [i could feel]as[i stood]and [i saw]as[i called] Paint, creating a painting.

The blood cooled quickly. It was cold out, and I was waiting.

Plot: My friend came home from "military" and killed himself because his wife and child died in [unexplained].
Conflict: Grief?
Message: My friend's death was beautiful like a painting of inexplicable flower petals in February.

Apart from a few minor clarity issues, your writing is understandable and you've got some idea of sentence pacing. You lost me on some of the imagery, like your winter flowers and white sunsets. But more than that, I don't know what I'm supposed to feel about this or why I'm supposed to care. First person characters can let you get inside the head of someone who's going through a conflict, but your first person character doesn't have a conflict beyond not wanting his friend to die. I don't know what's happened until two lines from the end, and the ending makes his death seem kind of beautiful which is a bit weird because that's not the tone the story takes. There's something good in there about the dramatic irony of the soldier living while his family back home dies, but I never got to care about any of it.

Anyway I should nut up or shut up so have fun with some 2011 vintage words.

Recursive Zero II
650 words
In the times indefinite of King Ur Who Counted The World, there were two who came for the naming of their son. In the old tradition they listened and heard, as within ringing-speaking the forms of his name became clear. Stone words shone in sound, speaking over the name: [Urzchtek], Ur's Death.

Even within and around these times naming was known to aspire to Truth. His parents swore upon the brow of Reason that they would keep him where he could do no harm to their king. Within walls of heath and bars of grass they bound him, to not leave their home. (But remember in these days that their homes were of lesser flesh and bone teetering atop the ground.)

Ur's Death grew up within these walls. He enjoyed counting immensely, as Ur had. But while Ur had counted the world and made it whole within his mind, Ur's Death had little to count but his family's garden. So once he had counted all that lay within it, he turned his numbers upon their sides, and counted perpendicularly. He counted the garden eight times over, each time taking a new direction.

His parents watched, tears stabbing their breasts at their child's madness. (For remember, in these days numbers stretched only like lines toward the horizon.) Ur's Death planned to turn aside the hedge and escape the garden, but soon his mother found him, and told him that they would go into the wild to hunt.

As she wept tears of fire, he set out before her. She had to end her shame, and so she drew her bow and let fly her loving arrow straight at the back of Ur's Death.

Ur's Death turned around and quickly counted the distance between the arrow and himself, then took off running.

"Your arrow flies faster than I run, mother! But by the time it's got to where I was, I've gone further already. And when it's where I am-was I'll be where I will-be-am."

The arrow heard the words that Ur's Death spoke and felt its logic to be true; so the further Ur's Death ran, the nearer it crept, yet still he eluded its flight. Before long, however, he reached a steep cliff, surrounded on all sides with the arrow coming behind him.

He couldn't stop, so he spoke to the stone, counting it upwards, then backwards, then rightwards, then timewards, and again the four times in orthagic sequence. Bent in the Eight Ways of Building, the stone gave way, by the power of Ur's Death compelled to follow the numbers that he spoke.

Halls sprang from his throat, breath becoming column and balustrade, his heartbeat pounding into alcoves. Deeper into the stone Ur's Death and his death ran. With finesse that had been turned inward, stone became finest brass under his lips.

Ur's Death saw what he had created and was delighted, pausing to bask in his first creation. And as where he was became coterminous with where he would-be, the arrow robbed him of all Logic and Reason, and he fell silent.

The mother of Ur's Death was distraught to find the curled and angled stone, and came back only when accompanied by Ur Who Speaks and the World Listens. (For remember, in these days such beauty was unknown.) In awe, Ur reached out, feeling the ways in which the count had become angles and angles become form. Of the Eight Ways only Four were felt, and so half of Geometry was lost; we seek now still to learn what Ur's Death spoke.

Ur Tongue of Pure Premise saw his integral within Ur's Death, and proclaimed him to be a hero; he was the death of Ur, for now the Angles superceded the Count. With Architecture and Geometry began our cities, and with brass we built our name. Recurring and infinite thanks be to Urzchtek, Thamzurak and the Zero Angle.

shooz
Oct 10, 2006
there's no life like no life

Rollofthedice posted:

Shifting
388 words

It was a particular unnecessary day in February, a decade ago. It was bright out, very bright, even as the sun set. Snow blanketed the earth, occasionally intermixing with falling petals and leaves and blossoms.This struck me as weird. Leaves don't fall in February - they've already fallen in September and November. Blossoms and petals won't be out before April/May. I have a hard time picturing this. There was an aesthetic appeal, as if tiny paint splotches had fallen on a clean canvas. It was cold. I was waiting.

It took hours before I sighted my friend on the northern road. He was a speck on a lane of dirt and ice that stretched past my known world. What do you mean by this? Has the narrator really never walked up that road? He'd traveled its length and returned, and I knew before even seeing his face that the distance had changed him, hurt him. Do you mean this in a literal sense? Or is this some metaphor for the man having left the place, travelled the world, whatever? Even his speck looked morose.

Another half-hour before he stood in front of me.This sentence sounds off. There's a verb missing in the first part I think. I'd write "It took another half-hour before he stood in front of me or Half an hour later he stood in front of me. Okay, reading this again, I'm not sure if you mean he HAD already been there half-an hour earlier, or whether it took him half an hour to get there. Something's off either way. The moon had risen, and was full. Orange Where does the orange come from? replaced silver, and fog crept in. I could see my friend staring past me, at a large patch of white mixed with ashes What ashes?. He knew what I knew, and as I told him the news all he did was nod, remove the comma and stare.

He asked to see the graves. While I walked with him to the cemetery, silent, I took the time to study his changes. He was in his military getup, which twinkled with a half-dozen badges and pins of honorable service. He walked upright, stiff, and would've seemed proud I thought he looked morose, not proud. if his eyes hadn't been so dull. I wondered at remove the at how many people he had killed, and whether he was used to death.

We arrived at the cemetery. I led my friend to two sixth-month old plots near the center of the quiet place, and left him to any grief he had. As I neared the exit – passing the tombstones, old and new, the rows of markers above countless bodies dead of uncounted causes – I heard a gunshot. It cracked through the air, unsettling the ground. For a split second, I felt as if the quiet, funerary sanctuary had been defiled, and imagined skeletons shifting in their sleep. Then,You don't need a comma. I don't think you even need the word "then". I ran.
I find it a little weird that he stands there, thinking about skeletons turning in their graves, THEN runs. I'd find it more plausible if he either ran directly, or then thought about the skeletons and slowly walked back to his friends, knowing what he'd find.

My friend's blood stained the tombstones of his wife and child. I thought I could feel its warmth as I stood over him, and as I called 911 He has a mobile phone? Up to this point I was convinced this story was set in the past. Firstly, the guy waits two hours in the cold for his friend to come. Why not just ask him to call when he's there? Then he only finds out his family is dead like six months after they died. Huh? I saw the thousands of red droplets that had stained the snow. Paint, creating a painting. I thought it was night? Sure, snow makes the night brighter, but it's still dark outside.

The blood cooled quickly. It was cold out, and I was waiting. I suppose you're intentionally repeating the last sentence of your first paragraph, but it doesn't do anything for me at least. I only caught it on my second read. "It was cold" is pretty obvious. There's snow and ice, of course it's cold - you don't need to tell us. If you really want to emphasize how cold it is, it might work better if you showed it. You know, hands were numb, breath looked like a puff of smoke, or something.

Sometimes I like writing that describes weather or surroundings. Good descriptions can really make me feel like I'm there. Your piece had some nice moments, but occasionally I was distracted. Mostly because some of your descriptions don't answer to any weather phenomenon that I am familiar with, and you aren't always consistent. l already mentioned that falling leaves, blossoms and snow don't tend to happen at the same time. Also, I've never seen orange moon light. Maybe I've just been really unlucky. Then you mention it's night, but still the narrator seems to see all the grave stones clearly, the red colour of blood on snow etc.

You start the whole piece with "a decade ago", yet you don't ever return to the present so to speak. How is it relevant that it was a decade ago? Does it still haunt the narrator? Is he thinking of this before putting a gun to his own head? What's the point here?

I liked the tone of your writing, which was mostly bleak and depressing. It suited your story. All in all your writing is clear and you convey a lot of feeling.

Just previewed this before posting and noticed that Djeser has already given you a crit. I'm slow at this critting business. Posting it anyway.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Thanks a lot, shooz and Djeser. Some reptilian part of my brain thought that the idea of flowers/leaves/falling plant matter on snow was pretty, and proceeded to gag logic and throw it into a river. The 'orange to silver' thing was supposed to mean from sunset to moonlight, but since I mentioned white in my canvas simile everything got hosed up.

I'm glad that my sentences are clear and structured. I just need to clear up what I'm saying and make what I say worth reading, instead of just conceiving of a scenario and typing it down without any thought over its purpose.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 30, 2014

AaronMFK
Jul 21, 2013
No one's taken this on! I'll try it for my first critique.

I really like the feel of this--alien but historical. It reminds me of some of the weirder Elder Scrolls fiction.

Given that it's meant to feel weird and describe a lost art, I think there are a few places you could clarify things without losing that feeling.

Djeser posted:

Recursive Zero II
650 words
In the times indefinite of King Ur Who Counted The World, there were two who came for the naming of their son. "times indefinite" smacks of epic movie trailer. "indefinite times" would work just as well. In the old tradition they listened and heard, as within ringing-speaking the forms of his name became clear. This sentence was hard for me to parse since I read "within" as a preposition and was expecting an object after "ringing-speaking." What is the ringing-speaking within? Stone words shone in sound, speaking over the name: [Urzchtek], Ur's Death.

Even within and around these times naming was known to aspire to Truth. His parents swore upon the brow of Reason that they would keep him where he could do no harm to their king. Within walls of heath and bars of grass they bound him, to not leave their home. (But remember in these days that their homes were of lesser flesh and bone teetering atop the ground.) Not sure why "But" is the conjunction used here. Does it somehow annul the previous statement? Maybe use "For" or "As."

Ur's Death grew up within these walls. He enjoyed counting immensely, as Ur had. But while Ur had counted the world and made it whole within his mind, Ur's Death had little to count but his family's garden. So once he had counted all that lay within it, he turned his numbers upon their sides, and counted perpendicularly. No need for a comma since the clause after it doesn't have a subject. He counted the garden eight times over, each time taking a new direction.

His parents watched, tears stabbing their breasts at their child's madness. I don't really like tears stabbing at breasts. My mind jumps from their faces to their chests. Something else could stab at their chest, or their tears could do something else, especially since they're fire later on, and fire doesn't necessarily stab. (For remember, in these days numbers stretched only like lines toward the horizon.) Ur's Death planned to turn aside the hedge and escape the garden, but soon his mother found him, and told him that they would go into the wild to hunt. Commas making things a bit confusing again. I would understand it better if it read, "...but soon, his mother found him and told him that they would..."

As she wept tears of fire, he set out before her. She had to end her shame, and so she drew her bow and let fly her loving arrow straight at the back of Ur's Death.I understand that "Ur's Death's back" is a funny construction, but "at the back of Ur's Death" is a stumbling block for me too; you wouldn't necessarily write "shot at the back of Thomas." Maybe use "at Urzchtek's back"?

Ur's Death turned around and quickly counted the distance between the arrow and himself, then took off running.

"Your arrow flies faster than I run, mother! But by the time it's got to where I was, I've gone further already. And when it's where I am-was I'll be where I will-be-am."

The arrow heard the words that Ur's Death spoke and felt its logic to be true; What is "its" referring to? Ur's Death's logic would be "his," and the words' logic would be "their." so the further Ur's Death ran, the nearer it crept, yet still he eluded its flight. Before long, however, he reached a steep cliff, surrounded on all sides with the arrow coming behind him. "surrounded on all sides with the arrow" made me stumble since I imagined the arrow surrounding him. Maybe "surrounded on all sides by [something] with the arrow coming behind him"?

He couldn't stop, so he spoke to the stone, counting it upwards, then backwards, then rightwards, then timewards, and again the four times in orthagic sequence. Bent in the Eight Ways of Building, the stone gave way, by the power of Ur's Death compelled to follow the numbers that he spoke. Another sentence that seems to reach for "olde speak" but gets confusing. Maybe "compelled by the power of Ur's Death to follow..."?

Halls sprang from his throat, breath becoming column and balustrade, his heartbeat pounding into alcoves. Deeper into the stone Ur's Death and his death ran. With finesse that had been turned inward, stone became finest brass under his lips.

Ur's Death saw what he had created and was delighted, pausing to bask in his first creation. And as where he was became coterminous with where he would-be, the arrow robbed him of all Logic and Reason, and he fell silent.

The mother of Ur's Death was distraught to find the curled and angled stone, and came back only when accompanied by Ur Who Speaks and the World Listens. (For remember, in these days such beauty was unknown.) She wasn't distraught over her son's death? Also, I thought the parenthetical was modifying why Ur accompanied the mother--that she was so beautiful he had to? But I realize it modifies why she was distraught over the stone. Maybe the parenthetical could be moved. In awe, Ur reached out, feeling the ways in which the count had become angles and angles become form. Of the Eight Ways only Four were felt, and so half of Geometry was lost; we seek now still to learn what Ur's Death spoke. "now" and "still" are redundant.

Ur Tongue of Pure Premise saw his integral within Ur's Death, and proclaimed him to be a hero; he was the death of Ur, for now the Angles superceded the Count. With Architecture and Geometry began our cities, and with brass we built our name. Recurring and infinite thanks be to Urzchtek, Thamzurak and the Zero Angle. What is Thamzurak? Did I miss something?

Again, really enjoyed the mood and the structure of the piece.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Djeser posted:

In the times indefinite of King Ur Who Counted The World, there were two who came for the naming of their son. In the old tradition You don't need this, it's already clear we're in ancient times they listened and heard, as within ringing-speaking the forms of his name became clear. Stone words shone in sound, speaking over the name: [Urzchtek], Ur's Death. Are the square brackets supposed to make it look like a translation? We don't need them, especially as you use it again at the end without

Even within and around these times naming was known to aspire to Truth. His parents swore upon the brow of Reason that they would keep him where he could do no harm to their king. Within walls of heath and bars of grass they bound him, to not leave their home. (But remember in these days that their homes were of lesser flesh and bone teetering atop the ground.)

Ur's Death grew up within these walls. He enjoyed counting immensely, as Ur had. But while Ur had counted the world and made it whole within his mind, Ur's Death had little to count but his family's garden. This makes it sound like he's counting 'one garden' repeatedly rather than the things within it So once he had counted all that lay within it, If the last line were clearer this could just be 'Then' he turned his numbers upon their sides, and counted perpendicularly. He counted the garden eight times over, each time taking a new direction.

His parents watched, tears stabbing their breasts at their child's madness. (For remember, in these days numbers stretched only like lines toward the horizon.) Ur's Death planned to turn aside the hedge and escape the garden, but soon his mother found him, and told him that they would go into the wild to hunt.

As she wept tears of fire, he set out before her. She had to end her shame, and so she drew her bow and let fly her loving arrow straight at the back of Ur's Death.

Ur's Death turned around and quickly counted the distance between the arrow and himself, then took off running. This is a good sudden turn to the story

"Your arrow flies faster than I run, mother! Is it worth pointing this out? But by the time it's got to where I was, I've gone further already. And when it's where I am-was I'll be where I will-be-am."

The arrow heard the words that Ur's Death spoke and felt its logic to be true; so the further Ur's Death ran, the nearer it crept, yet still he eluded its flight. Before long, however, he reached a steep cliff, surrounded on all sides with the arrow coming behind him.

He couldn't stop, so he spoke to the stone, counting it upwards, then backwards, then rightwards, then timewards, and again the four times in orthagic sequence. Bent in the Eight Ways of Building, the stone gave way, by the power of Ur's Death or the power of his superior numbers? I thought this was something he had learned to do in the garden rather than a 'power' within him compelled to follow the numbers that he spoke.

Ur's Death saw what he had created and was delighted, pausing to bask in his first creation. And as where he was became coterminous with where he would-be, the arrow robbed him of all Logic and Reason, and he fell silent. I like this line but the death of your main character could do with one more sentence

The mother of Ur's Death was distraught to find the curled and angled stone, and came back only when accompanied by Ur Who Speaks and the World Listens. (For remember, in these days such beauty was unknown.) In awe, Ur reached out, feeling the ways in which the count had become angles and angles become form. Of the Eight Ways only Four were felt, and so half of Geometry was lost; we seek now still to learn what Ur's Death spoke. I'm not sure you need these last two sentences: I'm not sure what they're saying and you can work the Geometry and eight references into another section

Ur Tongue of Pure Premise saw his integral within Ur's Death, and proclaimed him to be a hero; he was the death of Ur, for now the Angles superceded the Count. Why? With Architecture and Geometry began our cities, and with brass we built our name. Recurring and infinite thanks be to Urzchtek, Thamzurak Who's this guy? Rule of three, I know, but the sudden introduction of a new name jars me a little and the Zero Angle.

I like how you're using numbers here and to my mind it reads a lot like a Celtic-style myth, especially with the repetition of key numbers like eight. Perhaps try and work that theme into the bit where he sings the cathedral? It's been built up to with plays on Xeno's Paradox and concludes with a Euclidean cult, you might as well run with it.

'Ur's Death' isn't a bad character name for what you're doing but it's a little unwieldy just because it's two words and you can't easily shorten it. Changing some of the mentions to a simple 'he' when appropriate would make it less off-putting.

Overall this feels close to a fairy story mathematicians tell their kids and whilst I know sod all about maths I still appreciated it: if your audience aren't familiar with Xeno's Paradox it might be an issue but you apply it succinctly here and I wouldn't bother trying to explain it more. A little tightening is in order to make the ending less vague but it can get there.

Here is a thing I did for last week's Thunderdome which the judges recommended I seek further crit on: it's been slightly edited from the version in the TD thread.

Avast, Me Hearties

“Shift’s over,” said Theresa, with her cute smile and tattered coat. “You know, the Cyclopean look suits you. Fancy coming for a drink?”

I winked at her. “How do you know I'm not a pirate?”

Theresa punched me gently. “A pirate would have answered my question already.”

“In that case, aye, I'll be attendin' with ye, madam.”

She laughed and my guts clenched like always. “Maybe you should avoid the pirate's life.”

“I suppose you're right, my dear. I'll finish up here and we can-”

It was then that the front door opened, and the dust of the disturbed evening spilled into the lobby. It wafted along with the breeze, and I was just about to scurry over when I saw exactly who it was that had stalked in, coming to rest against the disused fireplace.

I figured I should ask.. “Can I help you, sir?”

He grinned at me, no gaps in those pearly whites. “I think you can, my friend.”

“Tsongwe, I'm working right now.”

“I don't count sexy talk as work, Hastings, and neither do you. You owe me a favour. I'm calling it due.” He turned to look at Theresa. “Not that I blame you, mind.”

She looked him up and down: no mean feat given his six feet and six. Tsongwe's body branched out like an overgrown sapling, imposing and somehow brittle. She said nothing.

“Miss, I need to speak to our mutual friend. Would you perhaps give us a moment?”

She looked at me. I smiled. “Well,” she said, “I guess next time, then.” She walked away, and it was just him and I again.

I looked over my shoulder towards the staff door. I had nearly made it. I leaned over the desk and lowered my voice. “And you had to come here, now? I'm trying to go straight here, man.”

He laughed. My guts held firm. “So I see. But this is big.”

I sighed the silent smile of service workers everywhere. “What is it this time? New plates? Another clean phone? The First Bank again?”

“Hastings, you insult me. When did we ever pull the same job twice? You should think yourself lucky I'm looking you up again,” he said, “and I know you do.”

---

I picked up the phone and dialled. Theresa answered on the final ring. “I thought you'd never call,” she said. “Thought you'd found yourself a new friend.”

“Oh, he's an old one. It's been a while, though.” A beat. “He needs me to help him with something. Tying up a few loose ends. I owe him.”

I could hear her breathing down the line. “Then I'll see you soon,” she said.

“I swear,” I told her, hoping I meant it.

---

It was only when the two of us were crouched in the long grass, not a hundred metres from the railroad tracks, that he actually told me the plan.

“You're crazy, Tsongwe. Still.”

“I'm the sanest I've ever been. Honest.”

Darkness was falling over the plains. From here it was a long ride to the Zambezi crossing and further still to the coast, but the mine trains rattled through here at least once a week with their earthly riches. Further up the track, towards the mountains, fires sparked amongst the shanties that clung to the verge.

Tsongwe followed my gaze, and nodded. He pulled out a pair of binoculars, passed them to me. Squinting, my eye could make out the distant shape of a mine train, pouring a column of smoke into the wind.

“On that train.” said Tsongwe. “What we want is there.” He reached into the bag, and pulled out a thick hemp sack. “When it stops to cool down, we'll just siphon off a little taste for my employer. If he likes it, we come back next time and take more.”

“How do you know it stops?”

Tsongwe turned and looked at me. “I have my ways. You should know that.”

I looked back at him. He sighed.

“I asked a shanty boy. What did you think I did?” He turned away towards our quarry.

I spoke in the falling silence. “This is the last time, man.” The train chugged on, and the thud-thud of its coming grew louder. “We can't be doing this any more.”

“Fine. Have it your way – the new one, that is.”

I reached for the hole where my left eye had been. “This is just like you! I don't hear from you for an age, and then suddenly you show up at the worst possible time-”

“She's not your type.”

“Oh? And here you are out of the blue all Hey there Hastings, let's go rob a train like nothing ever happened. Some of us want to move on, you know. I am done with this whole drat business and I-”

Suddenly he had a finger on my lips. “Shh,” he said. “Train's here.”

He turned and skulked down the slope. And I followed.

---

The still train heaved like a beast in labour. At the front where the engine sat steam hissed, slowly breathing out. Tsongwe slunk up to her, counting carriages.

“Six, seven... eight. This is it here.” He crouched in front of the carriage tap and unfolded the sack, settling its neck around the faucet. “Ready?”

“Ready.” I reached for the handle. As I gripped it I could feel the dust and grime on its surface, and turned. As it released the carriage creaked, and something began to slide into the sack. It took its time, whatever it was. Even as I checked my watch I could feel something slowing us, dragging on the second hand like a dead weight.

“We're done,” he said, tying the sack and straightening up. “Let's go.”

“Wait. Aren't you going to show me what we did this for? Why you dragged me out here?”

“Once we're safe.”

“Let me see it, Tsongwe.”

“You're the crazy one. We can't just stand here.”

“Give me the sack, Tsongwe.”

“drat, Hastings, get off me!”

As I grabbed for the sack, we wobbled, lost balance and fell. It burst. The black powder within caked us in seconds, sticking to our sweat, getting in our eyes. I sat up, wiping my face with one dirty hand.

“You bastard,” I said. “Who do you know who's going to pay big money for a sack of coal dust?”

“Nobody, okay? But it's good stuff, I can find a buyer, and-” he looked at me, “it was fun, right? Like the old days?”

I opened my mouth to answer, but another voice cut across me. “Hey, the hell are you?” It was then we turned and saw the silhouettes stumbling at us through the night. My fault, I guess.

“Let's go!” Tsongwe shouted, and he was away up the hillside: I grabbed the remains of our prize and followed him, the waves of our laughter washing across the prairie and falling back into the dark.

---

I was working desk when I next saw Theresa. It was a warm evening, with the moisture hanging in the air, but the steady crackling of the fireplace was at least drying the place out if nothing else.

“The mystery man returns! How was your trip?”

I shrugged. “Nothing special. Some raidin' an' booty, aye.”

The beginnings of a grin crept onto her face. “Alright then, have it your way.” She crouched down beside the old fireplace, staring into the flames. “And why do you have this going? I didn't even know it still worked.”

“No reason,” I said. “Just getting rid of the evidence. Arr.”

She laughed again, and I was back in the game.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Obliterati posted:

Avast, Me Hearties

As promised in the TD thread, here are my detailed thoughts. In general, I liked this a lot. You do a great job establishing character through your dialogue, and particularly in telling us a lot while using very few words. I admire minimalism in both the visual arts and in writing; it's a talent I don't really have, but it's one I really like to see when it's done well (as here). You have an occasional tendency toward overly-clever word choices, and while I certainly understand the temptation, I don't think you need to rely on them. As I said in the line-by-line, your writing here is at its best when your language is straightforward, simple, and showing us paragraphs worth of detail in just a few words.

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW
Dust Bowl

I pushed the two pennies across the countertop and smiled graciously. “Open your hand, boy” the plump shopkeep said cheerfully, his cheeks red as rhubarb. Into my palm he poured an ounce of dried lentils.

These were lean times, not just for me but for the nation as a whole. People everywhere were doing whatever they could to get by on a dime a day. I am a writer by trade, but making a living from “the pen” as my favorite instructor Mr. Emerald used to call it was about as difficult as a Chinaman getting elected President.

As I popped the dry legumes into my mouth one at a time, I tried to savor their essence, their green peaness. I had been tipped off about a job opening at Blochure Magazine by an old school friend of mine and I needed all the vigor I could muster to impress upon the folks at this periodical that I was the one they should hire.

I made my way up to the dusty office by means of the stairs, as the lift was out of order. The secretary’s desk was vacant and I was already ten minutes late, so I decided to open the door and introduce myself. Boy howdy was I in for a shock at what I saw: a grown man sitting on another man’s lap.

“Who told you to barge in here like that?” said the man on the lap, his hands still in the other man’s thinning, grey hair. “Where the hell is Marge off to now?” the sitting man grumbled. As he gathered himself and stood, the younger man said something which surprised me greatly: “Probably another one of her diarrhea spells, pa”.

“Well whaddya want?” the men said in unison. “I… I… I…” I was stammering, moved to disequilibrium by the turn of events which had unfolded before my eyes. Stomping my foot and regaining my composure, I started into the speech I had prepared on the way Downtown: “I intend to become the chief writer of Blochure Magazine, and I’ll do whatever it takes to secure that position!” I was proud of myself. I had delivered every word excellently.

“Boy oh boy” the older man chuckled to himself. “We’re payin’ a nickel a paragraph here son, there ain’t no full-time opportunities. ‘Sides, we ain’t seen whatcha’ can do yet. Are you aware of what type of stories we write here, Mister…” his voice trailed off. “Cave, Charles Cave” I shot back. “And no, I don’t know what type of business Blochure Magazine is in, but I can assure you that I am a fine writer and I’ll have no problem producing top-notch content for you.”

“Blowing.” The younger man sat down on the large wooden desk and said “we’re in the blowing business”, which caused me to completely lose my composure. I hadn’t yet secured my first kiss, but I remembered the blue stories older boys would tell at the campfire late at night. “B… b… blowing…?” I stammered out. I froze momentarily.

“Good day!” I yelled pleasantly and ran right back out the door. I simply did not have the intestinal fortitude to participate in such an endeavor. After five flights of stairs I realized that I had forgotten my briefcase in their office and rushed back up to retrieve it. The door was still ajar from when I left, so I poked my head in to see if the coast was clear. What I saw this time nearly gave me a heart attack: the two men, ostensibly father and son, were kissing passionately!

I didn’t care to interfere so I simply abandoned the briefcase and redoubled my efforts to escape. I made my way out but in my haste to abscond I tripped over my own legs and fell in the street, injuring my wrist. An angelic woman came to my aid, and when she saw the panicked look in my eyes she gently placed her palm on my cheek, soothing me.

The woman that rescued me that day became my wife of forty years. As I lay on my death bed, surrounded by my loving family and colleagues from my successful writing career, I closed my eyes and thought of the one moment in my life when I felt genuine exhilaration: the time I saw a father and son kissing on the mouth at Blochure Magazine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bless

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Dust Bowl

Overall, I thought this was a reasonably competent piece of writing. It’s a solid premise, newbie writer presents himself before editorial gate-keepers only to be brushed aside. I wasn’t sure what to make of the incest bit, but from Charles’ perspective we’re supposed to be surprised and shocked and most of us would have gotten the hell out of dodge if we walked in on something like that. Still, I think having Charles linger there a bit to try and figure out what exactly is going on would have made the story a bit more intriguing. What were they doing?

I liked the line “Chinaman getting elected President.” It tells you a lot about the time and the character in just a few words.

I felt like you could gone a bit further describing the setting other than saying “these were lean times” and “People everywhere were doing whatever they could to get by on a dime a day.” Like what? What exactly were they doing? Just a couple of sentences would have gone a long way toward showing the reader what life is like here. All in all, I think the premise was solid, if it needed a bit more fleshing out. Charles’ point of view worked for the most part. There’s a bunch of questions I have, which is always a good way of stringing the reader along.

The jump to Charles on his deathbed was super jarring, though. I guess it makes sense given the length, but I wanted to know what was going on with those dudes more than I wanted to know how Charles wooed his future wife.

Kwasimodick
Apr 2, 2013

by XyloJW
Fulfillment

Yes, I knew it was illegal for my father to have me. But here’s the thing. He never actually got to go through with it. There was the time he had me bent over and the doorbell rang: encyclopedia salesman. Another instance I had my legs wrapped behind my head and we smelled smoke, and he realized he had left a quiche lorraine in the oven for over 2 hours. Once when camping we were getting hot n heavy in the tent and he said he was going to “split me like a piece of firewood” and then an air raid siren went off and we were forced to evacuate by rangers due to a mother bear rampaging at a campsite nearby.

Now sure, father did do inappropriate things that were probably close to being illegal. French kissing your son every day when dropping him off at school can make problems with classmates like you wouldn’t imagine. I generally skipped and hung out behind the convenience store, or if I had to be in class I would put my head down on the desk and go to sleep.

Any time I was in the bathroom at home and I left the door unlocked, he would come in with no pants on and try to get frisky. I got used to hearing the doorknob jiggling when I took a shower, but I simply had to lock it, as I wanted to wash my hair in peace. Overall, the crude acts dad did weren’t such a big deal to me, since he was a pretty handsome guy, so I just kind of tolerated it.

One day we were in bed together and he was kissing me in his usual hard way, scratching my face with his bushy moustache. He would dart his tongue in and out of my mouth while I laid there stoically. “This is it son, I’m entering you” he said to me as he slid off my sweatpants. I closed my eyes. “You’ve got such a fine arse and I…” he didn’t finish his sentence. When I looked up, he was falling face first onto me, clutching his chest. Dad was having a heart attack.

When the paramedics got to my house, they had a confused look on their faces. I’m sure they were wondering why this guy was fully naked in his son’s room. Dad was rushed to the hospital but he didn’t make it. I guess all that quiche really adds up over time.

That night when I went to sleep I was a bit sad but also I felt glad to know I would have an undisturbed night of rest. There had been so many times when I would wake up in the middle of the night to dad’s member in my face, him breathing hard, and then someone would try to break into our van and he would run out into the street waving a gun.

As I dozed off, an apparition appeared at the foot of my bed. It was dad! His ghost climbed on top of my body and mounted me, and in death he was finally doing what he never could in life. Dad’s ghost raped me all night long, and in the morning I was too tired to go to school.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

enough

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Obliterati, I remembered liking this piece in TD, so here's a crit.

Obliterati posted:

Avast, Me Hearties

“Shift’s over,” said Theresa, with her cute smile and tattered coat. “You know, the Cyclopean look suits you. Fancy coming for a drink?”

I winked at her. “How do you know I'm not a pirate?”

Theresa punched me gently. “A pirate would have answered my question already.”

“In that case, aye, I'll be attendin' with ye, madam.”

She laughed and my guts clenched like always. “Maybe you should avoid the pirate's life.”

“I suppose you're right, my dear. I'll finish up here and we can-”

It was then that the front door opened, and the dust of the disturbed evening spilled into the lobby. It wafted along with the breeze, and I was just about to scurry over when I saw exactly who it was that had stalked in, coming to rest against the disused fireplace. This sentence was sort of difficult to follow. There's a lot going on: dust wafts in, character is about to move, doesn't move, other character stalks in, rests against the fireplace. Might be worth breaking up.

I figured I should ask.. “Can I help you, sir?” Is the period doubled for a reason? If it's just a typo, pay me no mind, but if you were going for ellipses I was going to tell you it's not necessary here. ;)

He grinned at me, no gaps in those pearly whites. Nice. “I think you can, my friend.”

“Tsongwe, I'm working right now.”

“I don't count sexy talk as work, Hastings, and neither do you. You owe me a favour. I'm calling it due.” He turned to look at Theresa. “Not that I blame you, mind.”

She looked him up and down: no mean feat given his six feet and six. Tsongwe's body branched out like an overgrown sapling, imposing and somehow brittle. 'And' here might be better as 'yet' given the contrast between the words. She said nothing.

“Miss, I need to speak to our mutual friend. Would you perhaps give us a moment?”

She looked at me. I smiled. “Well,” she said, “I guess next time, then.” She walked away, and it was just him and I again.

I looked over my shoulder towards the staff door. I had nearly made it. You never mention he was going toward the staff door, so the "I had nearly made it" doesn't quite make sense here in relation to the door. I leaned over the desk and lowered my voice. “And you had to come here, now? I'm trying to go straight here, man.”

He laughed. My guts held firm. “So I see. But this is big.”

I sighed the silent smile of service workers everywhere. "Sighed the silent smile" verges on a little too clever. “What is it this time? New plates? Another clean phone? The First Bank again?”

“Hastings, you insult me. When did we ever pull the same job twice? You should think yourself lucky I'm looking you up again,” he said, “and I know you do.”

---

I picked up the phone and dialled. Theresa answered on the final ring. “I thought you'd never call,” she said. “Thought you'd found yourself a new friend.”

“Oh, he's an old one. It's been a while, though.” A beat. “He needs me to help him with something. Tying up a few loose ends. I owe him.”

I could hear her breathing down the line. “Then I'll see you soon,” she said. Might be interesting to give us a bit of insight into how her dialogue is meant to sound. Is she scared? Disappointed? Dismissive? Joking? I only ask because I'm intrigued and I'm curious how she feels about this. :)

“I swear,” I told her, hoping I meant it.

---

It was only when the two of us were crouched in the long grass, not a hundred metres from the railroad tracks, that he actually told me the plan.

“You're crazy, Tsongwe. Still.”

“I'm the sanest I've ever been. Honest.” I like the sense of history imparted in their dialogue. Impressive given your short wordcount.

Darkness was falling over the plains. From here it was a long ride to the Zambezi crossing and further still to the coast, but the mine trains rattled through here "rattled through" is great at least once a week with their earthly riches. Further up the track, towards the mountains, fires sparked amongst the shanties that clung to the verge. The "amongst" seems a little weird here simply because this is written from a first-person POV and your character hasn't been especially fancytalkin' thus far.

Tsongwe followed my gaze, and nodded. No need for comma here. He pulled out a pair of binoculars, passed them to me. Squinting, my eye could make out the distant shape of a mine train, pouring a column of smoke into the wind. Nice.

“On that train.” said Tsongwe. “What we want is there.” He reached into the bag, and pulled out a thick hemp sack. Don't need a comma here either. “When it stops to cool down, we'll just siphon off a little taste for my employer. If he likes it, we come back next time and take more.”

“How do you know it stops?”

Tsongwe turned and looked at me. “I have my ways. You should know that.”

I looked back at him. He sighed.

“I asked a shanty boy. What did you think I did?” He turned away towards our quarry.

I spoke in the falling silence. “This is the last time, man.” The train chugged on, and the thud-thud of its coming grew louder. “We can't be doing this any more.”

“Fine. Have it your way – the new one, that is.” ICE BURRRRRRN. Seriously, your dialogue is pretty good.

I reached for the hole where my left eye had been. “This is just like you! I don't hear from you for an age, and then suddenly you show up at the worst possible time-” The significance of him reaching for his eye is lost on me.

“She's not your type.”

“Oh? And here you are out of the blue all Hey there Hastings, let's go rob a train like nothing ever happened. Some of us want to move on, you know. I am done with this whole drat business and I-”

Suddenly he had a finger on my lips. “Shh,” he said. “Train's here.”

He turned and skulked down the slope. And I followed. Might be better without the 'And,' not sure.

---

The still train heaved like a beast in labour. At the front where the engine sat steam hissed,this seems like a weird way to phrase that, since the steam isn't hissing out from "at the front where the engine sat," it just comes from... the engine slowly breathing out. Tsongwe slunk up to her, counting carriages.

“Six, seven... eight. This is it here.” He crouched in front of the carriage tap and unfolded the sack, settling its neck around the faucet. “Ready?”

“Ready.” I reached for the handle. As I gripped it I could feel the dust and grime on its surface, and turned. "And turned" seems weirdly tacked onto the end of this. What about just saying "as I turned it"? As it released comma should go here the carriage creaked, no comma here and something began to slide into the sack. It took its time, whatever it was. Even as I checked my watch I could feel something slowing us, dragging on the second hand like a dead weight.

“We're done,” he said, tying the sack and straightening up. “Let's go.”

“Wait. Aren't you going to show me what we did this for? Why you dragged me out here?”

“Once we're safe.”

“Let me see it, Tsongwe.”

“You're the crazy one. We can't just stand here.”

“Give me the sack, Tsongwe.”

“drat, Hastings, get off me!”

As I grabbed for the sack, we wobbled, lost balance and fell. It burst. The black powder within caked us in seconds, sticking to our sweat, getting in our eyes. I sat up, wiping my face with one dirty hand. Great visuals here.

“You bastard,” I said. “Who do you know who's going to pay big money for a sack of coal dust?”

“Nobody, okay? But it's good stuff, I can find a buyer, and-” he looked at me, “it was fun, right? Like the old days?”

I opened my mouth to answer, but another voice cut across me. “Hey, the hell are you?” It was then unnecessary, of course it is now, the dialogue just happened we turned and saw the silhouettes stumbling at us through the night. My fault, I guess.

“Let's go!” Tsongwe shouted, and he was away up the hillside: semicolon, not colon I grabbed the remains of our prize and followed him, the waves of our laughter washing across the prairie and falling back into the dark.

---

I was working desk when I next saw Theresa. It was a warm evening, with the moisture hanging in the air, but the steady crackling of the fireplace was at least drying the place out if nothing else. Gasp! But I thought the fireplace was disused! This must mean...

“The mystery man returns! How was your trip?”

I shrugged. “Nothing special. Some raidin' an' booty, aye.”

The beginnings of a grin crept good word onto her face. “Alright then, have it your way.” She crouched down beside the old fireplace, staring into the flames. “And why do you have this going? I didn't even know it still worked.” Awesome tie-in.

“No reason,” I said. “Just getting rid of the evidence. Arr.”

She laughed again, and I was back in the game.

This ending is much better than the first one! Overall, this is an impressively complete story with a lot of character development for a piece in the 800-900 word range. You paint broad pictures with very few words. I enjoyed it the first time and even more this time.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Aughhh, Ahwhhhh! Eurahhhhhhhhh!

There’s something coming up from under the bed. oh God there’s something coming!

This can’t be real. This has to be a night terror brought on by a childish fear of the dark. I'll get drowsy in a minute and it'll go away. But oh God, I fear this isn’t a phobia. Something’s materializing, and it’s tired of leering at me from the other side of the room.

This has to be a trick of the light. I knew I shouldn’t have condoned that woman’s vanity when I bought her all these damned mirrors. The reflections must be being subliminally focused on the relative brightness of the open doorway; that or my conflicting desires to sleep and  escape are projecting themselves as an entity whose function is to deny me an exit.

Oh great, now the mirrors are filling me with dread. I feel like they’re losing their solidity and becoming portals to another room that just happens to look like my own. This new fear of being dragged off might not be a bad thing. Doesn’t this prove that what I’m sensing is psychosomatic? The fear got worse because I shifted my focus; all of this must be a fantasy run amuck!

I think I’ll just get up and turn on the light. Let’s just ignore how I’m being watched and the looming mass that has been lurking forward inch by inch since I first took notice of it. That grating buzz issuing from its unseen maw must be me crafting noise from the night’s silence. Just ignore it: it’ll stop in a second.

(Flick)

Oh GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?! It’s screaming and I’m throwing up within a second of illumination. The Aberration’s flat and multicolored, as if it’s a lightshow projection of a hell beast whose hide has deliberately evolved to strike terror into our species' limited mind frame. Why isn’t it eating me? WHY ISN’T IT EATING ME?
The lightbulb should have already been shattered by the ultrahigh pitch of that excruciating wail, but it continues to shine with a magnitude I can barely register over my mortal terror and puking my guts out all over the floor.

I close and open my eyes one last time, and expect my consciousness to linger on being torn apart for the rest of my empty afterlife. But when I reopen my eyes…there’s nothing there. I’m all alone with a mountain of hurl and a persistent ringing in my ears.

It’s Thursday and I still need to go to sleep.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 10, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Snippet # 2

Killing the kid wouldn't be a problem; I’d have no interest in whether he felt pain or fear after I gutted him like the pig he made himself out to be. Petty notions of morality were also out of the equation; I’d let Christ or whatever dumbfuck in charge of arrogant pricks like him decide the repercussions for what I was planning to do. Nobody would even miss him; I’d heard enough of his family disputes to know that he was the black sheep of the (degenerate) family.

No, my problem was the obvious one: how to dispose of the body. The neighborhood had been quite enough before his kind, and I was pretty sure no one would catch what I did on camera. They’d probably even congratulate me if they ever found out I was the one to do that miserable punk in. I had seen enough tv to know that my best bet was to melt the bastard, but I was nowhere near a chemist, and googling “how to decompose a body” right before a murder tends to raise eyebrows if looked into. I’d have to eat ‘im.  Oh well, an upset stomach is better than a annoyed stroke.

After a little bit of prep I was ready. I waited for an excuse and he gave me one; the gently caress presented himself with his reliably condescending smile and I pulled out my knife…

Having to kill the old man wouldn’t be a problem; he’d instigate an ordeal and my conscience would be clean. I had lived in this shithole of a neighborhood my whole life, and I’d be damned if someone other than me decided when the sidewalk was off limits. I’d had enough of being told what to do, and I was sick and tired of being the guy who stepped out of the way for others who were walking. Who cared if people called me crazy for running around at midnight? If I wanted to I could summersault my way through the cul-de-sac in nothing but short shorts and there would be nothing they could do about it.

After tolerating a decade of worsening affronts I had finally graduated into the real world. No more morons were pushing me around: I didn’t stand for it. I had actually come to enjoy the neighbors’ unease, and if they wanted some they could come and get it.  The old man was the worst of them; his stares felt like a mix between the glare of a judgmental uncle and an overbearing school-yard bully. I knew he wanted to hurt me, and I could be obliged to give him a try.

At this point I was just asking for trouble. I would go out of my way to exercise when his kind were out. I’d smoke a cigarette and make the punks look weak in front of their girls, and I would never break eye contact with someone until they did it for me. I see the old man by his car; I can easily walk the other way.  But why should I? The pavement is public property: gently caress him. Before I know it something sharp flashes in his hand, finally allowing me to pull out something sharp of my own. If I go down he goes down with me.

___

If I go down, he goes with me.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 10, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sithsaber posted:

[i] Aughhh, Ahwhhhh! Eurahhhhhhhhh! Don't do this

There’s something coming up from under the bed; ditch the semicolon and make this two sentences. oh God there’s something coming! Ditto with the exclamation point. If you have to use that to indicate that something shocking is going on, your writing isn't pulling its weight.

This can’t be real. This has to be a night terror brought on by a childish fear of the night. But oh God, I fear this isn’t a phobia. Something’s materializing, and it’s tired of leering at me from across the other side of the room. You use both "night" and "fear" twice in two sentences and it's pretty jarring. Read those lines out loud and see how strange it sounds. Also a phobia is an irrational fear, so if you literally see something materializing out of the dark I don't think you can really call it a phobia anymore. Finally, you are doing a lot of telling and no showing so far.

This has to be a trick of the light. I knew I shouldn’t have condoned that woman’s vanity when I bought her all these damned mirrors. The reflections must be being subliminally focused on the relative brightness of the open doorway; that or my conflicting desires to sleep and  escape are projecting themselves as an entity whose function is to deny me an exit. A wild thesaurus appears! It sounds like your narrator suddenly time-warped to the 1800s. If you see some terrible thing coming out of the dark, are these really the kind of thoughts that are going to be going through your head?

Oh great, now the mirrors are filling me with dread. Is he scared or just mildly inconvenienced? I feel like they’re losing their solidity and becoming portals to another room that just happens to look like my own. This new fear of being dragged off might not be a bad thing. Doesn’t this prove that what I’m sensing is psychosomatic? The fear got worse because I shifted my focus; all of this must be a fantasy run amuck! Again, semicolons and exclamation points that shouldn't be there. What kind of tone are you going for here? It's got this really zany vibe, like your narrator is seeing an in-the-flesh monster and just goes "Zounds! What would Carl Jung think about all of this?!"

I think I’ll just get up and turn on the light. Let’s just ignore how I’m being watched and the looming mass that has been lurking that word doesn't really work here forward inch by inch since I first took notice of it. That grating buzz issuing from its unseen maw must be me crafting noise from the night’s silence. Just ignore it: it’ll stop in a second. Is your protag prone to hallucinations or...? This is literally all telling and zero showing. Build up your narrator so we A) give a poo poo about what's going on and B) understand why he just decides to ignore what basically sounds like a hellspawn chilling in his room.

(Flick) Don't do this either. Unless you are DFW or George Saunders or something, you probably shouldn't be trying to stick parenthesis is your fiction

Oh GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?! Wacky formatting, caps lock, and an interrobang does not substitute for actual tension.It’s screaming and I’m throwing up within a second of illumination.this is really awkward. The Aberration’s So it's not only real now, but the narrator has a name for it? flat and multicolored, as if it’s a lightshow light show is two words projection of a Hell Beast random capitalization whose hide has deliberately evolved to strike terror into our species should be an apostrophe here limited mind frame.awkward phrasing Why isn’t it eating me? WHY ISN’T IT EATING ME?Formatting strike three. Also he sounds disappointed by this development. The lightbulb two words should have already been shattered by the ultrahigh pitch of that excruciating wail,cliche but it continues to shine with a magnitude I can barely register over my mortal terror and puking my guts out all over the floor. awkward phrasing and dissonant tone

I close and open my eyes one last time, and expect my consciousness to linger on being torn apart for the rest of my empty afterlife. But when I reopen my eyes…there’s nothing there. I’m all alone with a mountain of hurl really? and a persistent ringing in my ears.

It’s Thursday and I still need to go to sleep. ...what?

So I guess I'm kind of confused here. Your narrator sees a monster except he thinks it's all in his head even though he can clearly see and hear it. Then he turns on the light, and suddenly the thing is real and has a fancy name. Then there's some random lines that basically sound like you're trying to ape Lovecraft, but the rest of the piece isn't written in that tone at all. You've got a narrator that we end up knowing absolutely nothing about except that he's scared and he threw up. Your tone is schizophrenic and worst of all, nothing actually happens in the story. So this monster shows up and he closes his eyes and then...it's gone, I guess? Does your narrator keep seeing this thing? Is it tormenting him night after night? Or is it the world's shittiest cosmic beast, showing up once just to make a dude puke on himself and then retreating back to the infernal plane to laugh about with his buds? You really need to focus on showing the reader what's going on. I think literally the only showing you do is one line describing this monster, and even that does a pretty poor job. It basically sounds like someone laid a disco ball on a pile of jello. Does it even have a mouth to eat people with?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 10, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
He basically is schizophrenic. The character is a little bitch 20something year old who's still afraid of the dark, As you probably know, being afraid of the dark is essentially caused by our imaginations not shutting the gently caress up.(which is why he tried to ignore it)

2. Will change the second night to dark.

3. Train of thought of someone trying to man up instead of pulling a blanket over his head.

4. I had fun with this.

5. I added one sentence for you.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 10, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Sithsaber posted:

Killing the kid wasn’t the problem;I would get rid of the semicolon and replace it with a period I’d have no interest in whether he felt pain or fear after I gutted him like the pig he made himself out to be. Petty notions of morality were also out of the equation; I’d let Christ or whatever Dumbfuck don’t cap in charge of arrogant pricks like him decide the repercussions for what I was planning to do. Nobody would even miss him; I’d heard enough of his family disputes to know that he was the black sheep of the (degenerate) Don’t do parentheses, especially for one unimportant word family.

No, my only problem was the obvious one: how to dispose of the body. The neighborhood had been quite Typo, right? enough before his kind Another typo/spell check?, and I was pretty sure no one would catch what I did on camera. They’d probably even congratulate me if they ever found out I was the one to do that miserable punk in. I had seen enough tv don’t need that to know that my best bet was to melt the bastard, but I was nowhere near a chemist, and googling “how to decompose a body” right before a murder tends to raise eyebrows if looked into. I’d have to eat ‘im. Oh well, an upset stomach is better than an annoyed stroke. This doesn’t make sense at all. I don’t know who this character is, why he murdered somebody, and how he jumped to the conclusion of eating a dead body. I do like how casually he puts it, but it still doesn’t make sense as I don’t know who the protag is. How the hell is he even going to be able to eat an entire human body?

After a little bit of prep I was ready. I waited for an excuse and he gave me one; the gently caress don’t cap presented himself with his reliably condescending smile and I pulled out my knife… Who is the gently caress, why is he smiling?

Having to kill the old man wouldn’t be a problem is the gently caress the old man?; he’d instigate an ordeal and my conscience would be clean. I had lived in this shithole of a neighborhood my whole life, and I’d be damned if someone other than me decided when the sidewalk was off limits. Sidewalk? Where is this taking place? I’d had enough of being told what to do, and I was sick and tired of being the guy who stepped out of the way for others who were walking. Who cared if people called me crazy for running around at midnight? If I wanted to I could summersault my way through the cul-de-sac in nothing but short shorts and there would be nothing they could do about it.

After tolerating a decade of worsening affronts I had finally graduated into the real world. No more morons were pushing me around: I didn’t stand for it. I had actually come to enjoy the neighbors’ unease, and if they wanted some they could come and get it. The old man was the worst of them; his stares felt like a mix between the glare of a judgmental uncle and an overbearing school-yard bully. I knew he wanted to hurt me, and I could be obliged to give him a try.

At this point I was just asking for trouble. I would go out of my way to exercise when his kind were out. I’d smoke a cigarette and make the punks look weak in front of their girls, and I would never break eye contact with someone until they did it for me. I see the old man by his car; I can easily walk the other way. But why should I? The pavement is public property: gently caress him. Before I know it something sharp flashes in his hand, finally allowing me to pull out something sharp of my own. If I go down he goes down with me.

If I go Down don’t cap, he goes with me.

What the hell is happening in your story? So, protag kills a kid, decides he has to eat the body, and then there’s an old man on the sidewalk and he pulls out a knife? What just happened? None of it makes sense. And please, don't reply back to this with excuses or explaining what happened. If your story doesn't make sense, then fix it. The time you spend replying back to me could be time spent making your story more clear.

Worse of all, nothing actually happened. We’re just told protag kills a kid and eats the body. Or does he eat the body, I'm not even sure. Then, he’s about to fight the old man, and story ends. We’re just told things happen and we just watch the aftermath, or get the build up to the climax without any payoff.

I feel like there should be some scene transitions, but I can’t tell where one scene ends and another starts. For all I know, it's one big scene.

Your protagonist was nothing. I don’t know who he is, why he is doing this, and why I should care. This story could be much more interesting if you showed us how he got to be a crazy murderer who is willing to kill an old man just for standing in his way. But all you do is tell us that he had trouble (“After tolerating a decade of worsening affronts”). I don't care about your protagonist, so I don't care about your story.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Broenheim posted:

What the hell is happening in your story? So, protag kills a kid, decides he has to eat the body, and then there’s an old man on the sidewalk and he pulls out a knife? What just happened? None of it makes sense. And please, don't reply back to this with excuses or explaining what happened. If your story doesn't make sense, then fix it. The time you spend replying back to me could be time spent making your story more clear.

Worse of all, nothing actually happened. We’re just told protag kills a kid and eats the body. Or does he eat the body, I'm not even sure. Then, he’s about to fight the old man, and story ends. We’re just told things happen and we just watch the aftermath, or get the build up to the climax without any payoff.

I feel like there should be some scene transitions, but I can’t tell where one scene ends and another starts. For all I know, it's one big scene.

Your protagonist was nothing. I don’t know who he is, why he is doing this, and why I should care. This story could be much more interesting if you showed us how he got to be a crazy murderer who is willing to kill an old man just for standing in his way. But all you do is tell us that he had trouble (“After tolerating a decade of worsening affronts”). I don't care about your protagonist, so I don't care about your story.

You reiterated the problem with train of thought and for some reason pasting killed the line break. But more to the point, does every story require spelling things out? I've always enjoyed good usage of omission.

Ps. And wouldn't a little give or take be better than basically telling me to shut the gently caress up? Some of us like to learn through active communication.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 10, 2014

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Sithsaber posted:

I've always enjoyed good usage of omission.

There's your answer.

To be less flippant: writing is a confidence trick, requiring the reader to trust the author that things will make some semblance of sense by the end. That's why in most cases (cliche alert) it's worth learning the rules before you try to bend them. The 'uses of omission' you've enjoyed will, no doubt, be carefully limited uses - like we'll know exactly what someone is doing, but be left to figure out why (or even vice versa). As for stuff that makes even less sense... well, Joyce is Joyce. But even he had to write Dubliners first, partly to get good at telling a story, partly to earn enough reader trust to drag them down a lexical rabbit hole second time around.

But good on you for getting work out there. That's the start, and it's more than most manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sithsaber posted:

He basically is schizophrenic. The character is a little bitch 20something year old who's still afraid of the dark, As you probably know, being afraid of the dark is essentially caused by our imaginations not shutting the gently caress up.(which is why he tried to ignore it)

2. Will change the second night to dark.

3. Train of thought of someone trying to man up instead of pulling a blanket over his head.

4. I had fun with this.

5. I added one sentence for you.

So I'll elaborate a bit on this because I realize my crit may have come off a tad dickish. The biggest problem with this is that there isn't really a narrative arc. You mentioned above that you don't feel you should have to "spell things out," but that doesn't apply to, you know, your actual plot. Omitting details certainly has a place, especially in horror, but you have to know when to do it. For instance, it might work if your narrator is unreliable, but this piece is so short and self-contained that you have no room to explore that conceit and thus you don't "earn" that kind of omission.

Back to the narrator: He basically doesn't exist. In your reply here you say he's basically schizophrenic, but that doesn't come across in your writing. I said your tone was schizophrenic, in that it seems to alternate wildly between a serious and lighthearted tone with no rhyme or reason. That doesn't mean your narrator comes across as a literal schizophrenic. If you want that to be a character trait, awesome, it can certainly be interesting, but you have to actually show us somewhere. You don't have the luxury of replying to your readers directly like this. There's also no reference to his age or gender or anything, so if being a young 20-something is important, it needs to actually come up somewhere.

Finally, you cut to black right as things actually get interesting and it just leaves the reader hanging, and not in a good way. Is the thing he's seeing real? If so, why does it just vanish? What is the point? Why is it dangerous if it doesn't actually plan on hurting your narrator? You called it a snippet so I'm not sure if this is supposed to actually be an isolated story or if it's a chapter or section of a larger piece, etc. I can only judge it in the context it's presented, and right now it's just flat-out not a story. This happens sometimes, god knows I've done it myself more than once, but it means you hosed up and need to re-approach the piece on a fundamental level. In a story that short you can't afford to omit important things like "character" and "plot."

Which comes down to my comment on this being like 99% telling and no showing. Show the reader why we should be scared, and why we should care about the narrator's predicament. What you are doing is basically going "Trust me guys, this monster is pretty scary. The narrator is, like, totally scared!" I assume you want the narrator's tension and sense of tread to actually transfer to the reader, in which case that isn't going to cut it. Which is why I was curious about the intention of your tone. Someone like Vonnegut can blend serious elements with totally ridiculous ones and still make a story that is profound, sad, and hilarious at the same time. But you need to hone your chops before you try something like that. This writing just isn't self-assured enough to make it seem intentional.

• Locked thread