Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I did a couple critiques over in the other thread and didn't post anything. I'd love to get this Thunderdome entry from a while ago picked apart:

Check Engine (644 Words)

Nothing. Not a god drat thing. Somewhere there’s this guy laughing his rear end off because he tricked some guy up in Newfoundland into paying $90 for a cactus. I could have paid for the whole night with that. I’m going to head down to the festival anyway.

The cab pulls into the driveway. It’s an old piece of poo poo, but gently caress, I’m just getting a run downtown. The driver backs out of the driveway, “Where to, my buddy?”

“George Street.”

“Busy down there tonight. My jesus, there’s some nice lookin’ young women around.”

“Oh yeah?”

“I don’t know how half of ‘em don’t freeze. Goin’ around with nothing on.”

We’re driving down Main Road and holy poo poo. Someone’s grabbed hold of my brain and they’re pulling it in three directions. I don’t say a word. We’re driving past the dairy farm. I’m glad the cows are alive. Does their life matter once they're dead? Does anyone know they exist?

Ping. The check engine light comes on. It’s the car screaming, “For the love of god! I’m going to die.” The cab driver floors it. This car is dying. It dies just like a man. The doctor/mechanic says “I’m sorry sir, you have cancer/a cracked engine-head.” Is there a difference? Am I just a car? Am I a machine made out of meat? Maybe the only difference between us is a few misplaced atoms. I’m just a machine made out of meat, pretending I don’t have a one track mind and that I have this god and that I’m special. A machine built to pass on DNA and that’s it. A car is a machine that carries people. People are machines that carry DNA. I’m a machine. Oh gently caress I’m just a machine.

The cab driver interrupts my thoughts, “It’s alright, me buddy, it’s only the check engine light.”

He knows about the mescaline. He has to. How could he? He can’t. He knew I was looking at the light. “You’re some quiet.” It’s sinister. This man is sinister. The universe is sinister. Fump! The car misses. Fump! It misses again. “You loving piece of poo poo!” Fump! Fump! Fump! “Sorry me son, I’m gonna have to bring her into the shop. My buddy got one just down the road.” We pull into the garage. He picks up his radio and calls another cab for me. I get out. The cab driver talks to the guy at the garage. I go off to the side of the building to wait for the cab by myself. I watch them talk. I know every word they’re saying. High b’y, high as a fuckin’ kite. What are ya gonna do? Call the cops I ‘spose. They’ll cart him off in the paddy wagon. It’s all a big loving trap. Washroom. Go in. Left foot right foot. I lock the door. I’m safe. No one exists outside this little box. I’m just a sperm machine floating through space in my own, quiet little box. I always existed in the box. Nothing else ever did. Never outside. Never in. The mirror this is not me the me in the mirror is not the me in my head is this the me that everyone else sees the machine the truck the pulley the shovel

Calm down.

Breathe slower. Nobody knows. Nobody knows you bought a cactus. No one knows you made cactus tea. You look fine. You look normal. Smile. People go down the street high every night and nobody knows. I scrawl, “Everything is OK :)” on my hand. You can do this. I look at my hand. “Everything is OK :).” Thanks hand. I leave the washroom and walk around to the back of the garage. Hordes and hordes of corpses. Broken down. Beat up. Every year, make and model you can imagine. My fellow machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

supermikhail posted:

Not quite a critique of "Check engine", but that thing set me wondering if there's indeed a niche for so much swearing in published literature. Also, for me the high point of trip reports has been descriptions of visual hallucinations. Although I guess those may be cliche nowadays. However, the theme could have been conveyed better with something visual instead of the cows thing, which sounded a bit pathetic.

Mescaline isn't generally as visual as other psychedelics. Like, it IS there, but the effects on your train of thought and excessive paranoia are far more pronounced. If you read most of the trips for mescaline, it's more about a feeling of connectedness with the universe and constant epiphanies, most of which are wrong. I can't find it now, but there is a quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where Thompson explains how Mescaline is more inclined to twist and contort something that already exists as opposed to straight up visual fabrication like LSD. Visuals on mescaline are generally more along the lines of say, "Wow everything is so dirty" as opposed to, "Look at this space monkey." That's not to say it like, never ever happens, but focusing on the visuals with mescaline is like talking about this peanut butter and jam sandwich you ate on top of the Empire State Building, instead of talking about the view.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the cows thing sounds pathetic. Would you mind clarifying a little? It's taken from something someone one mescaline said to me once, but if it comes off that way, I would like to clear that up.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 13, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
You should critique some else's work before you post anything. It generally works on a 1:1 basis. Give at least one critique for every piece you want to post. No one has critiqued Baldbeard yet.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Echo Cian posted:

Good points, especially that one. How about "Cold was seeping through my furs by the time..." or is that still off?

I think linkers like "by the time" are generally viewed as wordy and cliché. Can you do this in sort of a separate sentence and use a word other than cold like Great Rumbler suggested? You use the word cold like four or five times in a 1100 word story. Something like, "I stood still until the sweat froze to my skin" or even "I stayed in place until the heat escaped my furs." Even those seem a tad on the wordy side, you can probably some up with something better. It's not the kind of thing you lump into a paragraph with other sentences anyway, it's more the sort of thing you want to put as a one-line paragraph by itself so the reader gets a sense of distance and time because the phrase is just out there standing alone in a field of white, just like your protagonist. I feel like it'd be more effective with the minor visual offset.

You should only use the verb "to be" in all its forms if it's absolutely necessary, even in non-fiction. It's just such an invisible word that it's a waste, and action verbs are more exciting and engaging. In this example, why would you say "Cold was seeping" instead of "Cold seeped?" You don't need two verbs in a row. It's the same way you wouldn't say, "Fred was mad" in a story, you'd say "Fred growled" or "Fred shouted" or "Fred swore and kicked the can across the room."

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 19, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Sid Vicious posted:

Just for the record, I have no education in creative writing, its just something I enjoy doing sometimes. With that in mind here is my short story Shirt Bot. Its mostly stream of consciousness that I just decided to put down on paper, so I apologize if the ending feels abrubt. I'm also not very good at staying in tense/perspective so I hope I did alright this time around. Would love some critique and opinions on it, thanks everyone.

Shirt Bot

This is a tale about Shirt Bot, the shirt deploying robot. He was created specifically for the purpose of deploying shirts to people who didn't have a shirt of their own. Don't argue it's a much more common plight than you might believe. His creator suffered from brief lapses in memory and quite often forget his own shirt, which is really the only reason he even built it. After his creators death he found it more and more difficult to find people who needed shirts. He wandered from coast to coast distributing his shirts where needed as he went but he felt something was missing. While hanging around in San Francisco a young man suggested he try going to Mexico, as he had heard there was many more poor people there, so Shirt Bot packed up his belongings, which in this case was a photograph of his creator and a chocolate bar he had been carrying with him for a long time, trying to figure out what it was for.

As he began his journey south he met a young man with what appeared to be only half a shirt. Shirt Bot offered him a shirt but the young man just cursed at him and called him a homophobe. Unfortunately Shirt Bot didn't even understand the concept of sexuality let alone have any hatred for anyone based on it. He apologized profusely and carried on his merry way.

He finally reached the border between the Unites States and Mexico after about a week of walking. He began plodding through the checkpoint when he heard a man yell to stop. He turned and saw a border patrol guard aiming a semiautomatic rifle at him. He waved pleasantly and turned around again. The first shot whistles right past his head. He turned again looking absolutely horrified. He couldn't understand why this human would just fire at him for what he believed to be no reason. He ejected a shirt and attempted to hand it to the man, who looked utterly confused.

"You're gonna need to show me your passport and tell me why you're planning on crossing the border there son" the guard said to him gruffly.

"I'm not certain what a passport is my good man but I'm traveling to the country of Mexico to distribute my shirts to the poor of that land" Shirt Bot responded with cheer in his voice. He always had cheer in his voice.

"Well I'm afraid without a passport you won't be visiting anywhere anytime soon young man" the guard told him, with authority dripping from his words.

Shirt Bot was confused. He had never heard of a passport before, and he just wanted to help people. He decided to ask the man about the chocolate bar, since he had yet to find out what it was for.

"Well color me astounded young fella, is that a Dream Bar? I haven't eaten one of those in years, they stopped making them when I was still a boy. They had so many preservatives in em, I bet you that it'd still be fine to eat," the guard told him.

"You may have it if you like, I don't believe it can be perused by my own self" Shirt Bot told him. "You may also have one of my many shirts if you would like."

"We'll that's mighty generous of you son. I'll tell you what, you go on ahead to Mexico. I can't see you causing any trouble as polite and selfless as you seem to be," the guard said, his eyes glistening. He wasn't crying of course not. He just had something in his eye. Hope for the future.

Shirt Bot continued his journey south and came upon a village. He could see that the buildings here were ramshackle and in a condition that could only be described as "bad". He decided here was as a good a place as any to begin his shirt distribution. He wandered to the center of town where he found a crowd already gathered.

"Greetings fellows I have brought you all fine new shirts this day. Line up in an orderly fashion and I shall distribute them accordingly."

Unfortunately none of them spoke a word of English and they believed he was insulting them, maybe even their wives too. For the record many of their wives were not what might be considered conventionally beautiful. Or unconventionally for that matter. It seems Shirt Bot had gotten himself in another fine mess.

<What do you think it is?> one of the men asked the rest, still convinced it had said something offensive about his wife.

<It looks like some kind of war machine, sent to strike fear into our hears> another man replied, with an edge of nervousness in his voice.

"I don't understand what you are saying, I apologize I do not have a built in universal translator," Shirt Bot said to them in his usual cheerful fashion. He began taking shirts out for all of them, which they took as a sign of aggression. Luckily none of them were particularly brave and they just scattered like field mice. Shirt Bot stood where he was, confused by the actions of man yet again.

"Well I suppose I might as well move on, find somewhere I am more wanted than here," he sighed, less cheerfully than he'd ever spoken in all his years. He began walking towards the other end of the village, noticing that many people were staring out their windows at him.
<Excuse me sir, you’re not here to hurt us are you? I can tell you’re a kind person, not one to be feared> a young boy emerged from an alleyway and asked him. <Come with me, I’ll introduce you to my family>

"I'm sorry young man I don't know what you're saying to me. At least you don't seem to be afraid, I shall come with you I believe," Shirt Bot exclaimed, the regular cheer returning to his voice. Shirt Bot followed the boy down the alleyway, and was soon gone. Here's hoping he had a good life and was able to fulfill his destiny.

The problems here go way beyond grammar, passive sentence structure, and tense issues. A couple of things:

Writing 101: Showing vs. Telling.

Here's a couple explanations from around the web. You can google more:

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/showing-vs-telling-in-your-writing
http://www.readwriteandedit.com/showvstell.html

Second, there's absolutely no climax. The only thing close is when shirt-bot tries to cross the border. There needs to be a point where the protagonist reaches his lowest low, where it looks like he will never reach his goal, this is known as the act-two turning point. The hero generally, there are obviously infinite variations, picks himself up, dusts himself off, and takes one last crack at reaching his goal. One last desperate bid. In order for this to work there needs to be a conflict. Two parties who want opposite things need to be in some sort of struggle against each other. There is no real conflict in your story. You are writing around the conflict because conflict is hard. Real, drag you out by the hair, beat the ever-loving poo poo out of you conflict in this sort of story.

I'll help you out, here's what you need to focus on, shirt-bot is trying to get the Mexico to distribute shirts. A border guard won't let him cross the border. He tries everything and just when it looks like he's never going to make it... (This is where your climax goes).

I hope that helps somewhat. Really, you need to get some of the fundamentals down pat. Right now your story is sort of just this happened then this happened then this happened. The end. It needs to be this happened but this happened therefore this happened until finally this happened. The end. You need some sort of arc for any story to work, even old ghost stories kids tell around the campfire have an arc. Does that make sense?

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 19, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm not trying to be a dickhead, but like, is your non-fiction writing for journalism as heavy-handed? I've worked in a couple of radio newsrooms writing copy, and I know you want that poo poo as concise and to the point as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
You guys should totally critique each other's work.

• Locked thread