Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Nubile Hillock posted:

Tensegrity

Kasey’s glance shot from his ruined bike to his watch and back. He was doing his best to keep it together but the plan was falling apart before it had even unfurled Mmm, nice word. Not the right place for it I feel. All his thoughts ran together Repetition from previous line. as he tried to cope Something like 'stay focused'?.

The minute hand moved forward a half-circle; he could see Claire’s train pulling in, the Customs officers hauling her off the platform. He’d be running, sweaty, covered in grit but 'and' has a nicer punch to it here. still blocks away from where he had to be. Or maybe he’d be stuck in a crowded bus or getting maced by a cabbie after he stiffed the bill.

There was no time to cut the locks on the other bikes. He didn’t even own a grinder Irrelevant. There was no time, period. He tightened the duffel bag across his shoulders, breathed in, and broke into a run.

Claire tightened her grip on her handbag, hands clammy with sweat I am divided. I like the image continuity here, but sweating is a repetition.. Her molars ached: she’d been grinding her teeth. Her heel tapped the cardboard box beneath the seat. No. Can't draw attention to the box, can't even think about it. They'd see it in her face, they could see these things. Kasey’s words ran through her head Again, a mimic of the beginning description of thoughts running together. Is this purposeful or accidental repetition? as the train’s clatter slowed with every passing moment.

“There are three parts to any good plan: the Ruse, the Swindle and the Exit.” Kasey had seemed so sure of himself. She would never have agreed otherwise.

“They’ll never suspect you’re up to somethin’. You wear one of those sundresses a’yours, you get all nervous when they ask for your passport and you’ll be golden. You’re like so low on the watch list you’d get away with murder.”

For the most part, he’d been right. No one at the station gave 'had given' - assuming this is talking about the start of the train journey. her any trouble. No one really seemed to care. Now, outside, the suburbs grew denser. The streets were getting busier, there was less green. They were cutting towards the heart of the city. She checked her watch.

Kasey was four blocks in, still running. No more time for dicking around Was he dicking around before? . He scanned the sidewalk trying to tie things together Clunky. Someone was plugging a parking meter, a beggar busker plucked at a guitar, a lady with a stroller looked into a boutique, some guy was about to chain his bike to a pole. Kasey could almost felt Whoops. Tense. a plan fall into place.

“Hey! That guy stole my wallet!”

Heads turned; Kasey was already moving, using those few seconds of confusion to tackle the guy with the bike. Before the guy could pick himself up Kasey was already weaving through traffic. This whole bit is incredibly fast. Why does accusing somebody of stealing a wallet make it easier to steal a bike? (BICYCLE? MOTORBIKE?) Maybe just lose the whole accusation altogether.

Everything was a blur now. He kept his eyes on the thin strip of pavement between the parked cars and the moving traffic . A rusted out Toyota veered in too close; he could feel the heat coming off the hood. He kicked at the fender and flipped them the bird; a costly mistake. The transition between why flipping someone off and somebody getting out of the car ahead is not linked in any way. Some old guy took the moment to open the door of his Lincoln just up ahead. Kasey pressed on the brakes. Nothing, they were shot. He’d never scrub enough speed. The old guy was leaning on the door, pulling himself out, his pace was glacial Sentence is very stilted.. There was nowhere to go. No free ‘crete anywhere but the sidewalks. Or maybe…

“gently caress it!”

Kasey pulled across the lane, hoping the Toyota was keeping back Side-details killing the tension. Car horns went off all around as he hauled rear end down the median, bent over his bars like he was winning the Tour de gently caress Uhh. He blew through a fresh red at the next lights 'set of reds' perhaps, car horns going off again. He counted blocks now, redrawing the route in his head. No time to check his watch, but He knew it was going to be close.

Claire pressed herself against the window. He was supposed to be waiting on the other end of the bridge, and the locomotive was already disappearing into the arching steel latticework. Her mouth was dry, her heart was pounding. It had to work. She slid the window open and fished the yellow kerchief from her purse.

He ditched the bike behind the sickly shrubs at the embankment’s base. The scream of steel on steel let him know the train had cleared the bridge and was pulling into the final curve that would bring it into the station Run-on sentence. Choose what part to cut for clarity. Claire had said her car 'carriage' better? was somewhere near the middle. He bolted up the grassy slope.

Hanging onto a girder with one hand, he leaned in as close to the train as he could. SUDDENLY, ON A GIRDER The smell of hot grease and diesel made it hard to breathe. He tensed as the cars passed, each pocket of air almost knocking him off balance.

There - a flash of yellow at the other end of the bridge. He blinked and it was gone. He fixated on that car. It was coming up fast. Everything seemed to stop as he kept his eyes locked on the one open window.

Close now. So close. He leaned over as far as he could, one hand outstretched. He could touch the endless stream of steel and rivets if he wanted. There she was, leaning out, the box in her hands and an uncertain look on her face. Would he be able to see her expression on an apparently fast moving train?

His fingers connected with the box, sliding across its surface and missing the twine that kept it shut. She’d already let go. The box was in free fall, the heavy end making it tumble towards the tracks. Her hands reached down, swatting the empty air as the train took her away.

He was still on it. He kicked off the girder, eyes locked on the small brown parcel. Arms outstretched, he grazed the sides of the box with his palms. He brought it in close, pressing it to his chest and taking the fall with his shoulder. The roar of steel on steel was deafening, his shoulder ached Ached implies further on post-wound, don't you think? Hell it seems way too early to start reminiscing about injuries sustained one sentence ago. where he’d connected with the rail tie. He rolled off the bridge and slid down the embankment, the box tucked away in his duffel Somehow he's put in his duffel, after diving and catching a high-speed box and rolling down an embankment?. He left the bike where it lay and started the walk home without a second glance.

Back at his apartment Kasey cracked a cold one. Claire was asleep in his bed, and Mr. Whiskers had finally shaken off the sedatives. Well, enough to pull himself out of the box and over to a bowl of food, anyway. I'm assuming these extra details are part of some larger whole. Because the final note of the piece should not be me thinking, oh - why did he sedate his cat? And why does it have such a terrible name?

The writing is good. This is close to where you want it to be. There are lots of little things I could say about this, but I'd rather not inundate you with tiny points. I have one big point instead. You. are. too. fast. Like Stone pointed out in the 'dome with your latest story, your prose is white-hot and hard to handle. You aren't so much spoon feeding me the plot as ramming it down my throat at a thousand miles-per-hour. Chill. Your action sequences are already punchy and full of vitality. It feels like you're dropping whole chunks of pertinent info just so you can rush me on to the next exciting thing that is happening.

Obviously that is part and parcel of this piece as it is all about being in a hurry. But it is a far better thing to occasionally lose your grip on the rollercoaster ride than it is to leave your readers guessing or lost. Having terse and quick-fire descriptions is a great thing and a skill you clearly possess. Not including descriptions that might be vital to your reader's understanding is less good. I went through this line-edit with this one idea in mind, trying to cut where I could while pointing out things that left me reeling or confused. Hope it is of some use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nubile Hillock posted:

This is like the nicest thing anyone's ever said 'bout my writing : )

A few things - the repetition is intentional, I was kind of trying to mimic the way panicked thoughts work. Kind of like a circular thinking thing. Not sure if it worked.

Where the fender-kicking happens and you say the transition doesn't work, I'm kind of in a tight spot. I was trying to imply that taking his eyes off the road and losing his focus are what caused him to miss the old guy.

The "he stole my wallet" thing was supposed to show that the bike-locking guy turned around, giving Kasey enough time to tackle him.

And the tour de gently caress thing is a Critical Mass joke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgCqz3l33kU

The cat thing (and the terrible name) I added because I kind of want all the effort to seem pointless, almost trivial. The story spawned from a short story competition held by a band called Broken Social Scene. Their album 'You forgot it in the people' has a kind of weird serious-but-not-really vibe to it.

Thanks so much for the time and crits, I'll be reworking this until it works.

Yeah it was in my mind that it was intentional, but as a general rule I never give the benefit of the doubt when giving crits. Don't sweat it if some of my points are just white noise 'cos I don't get references/context that your intended audience will. Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff bouncing around.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I hope you know the expression you've got to be cruel to be kind.

Plank posted:

Toben [734 words]

A loud crack filled the air. Pain lanced through Toben and he shuffled, trying to shy away from the source. For the first line of a novel, this falls flat. Intro works much better without it.

“No sleeping,” barked a slaver. He coiled his whip around his left forearm again.

Toben forced himself to relax and open his eyes. This caught my eye as contradictory. Opening your eyes and relaxing are chalk and cheese, not bread and butter. It was safer to avoid drawing attention to yourself Telling not showing. He hung slackly from his bindings and tried not to draw attention to himself. The timber beam fixed to the slave cart held the wrists of seven more slaves, sitting back to back along its length. [Perhaps insert connective/descriptive sentence here] The A grey haired slave beside him coughed up a wad of bloody phlegm onto the rough wooden platform and was swiftly whipped. Toben watched a new cut appear on the slaves’ "slave's" chest, joining the mess of bruises, cuts and old scar tissue that marked the a life of a man sold into slavery.

This will probably seem a very strange comment, but I find it weird that this slave cart is apparently being whipped from the front. I can hardly imagine a situation where this would be the right way to do it. Either you have to make it clear why this is the case, or change all references to 'chests' into 'backs'. Obviously the next sentence wouldn't make much sense with 'back' either.

He looked at his own chest, a fresh welt already rising above the rest, and slowly rubbed one foot with the other. It was a persistent itch. Metweed left an impression on those who touched it, and he had sprinted barefoot through a full stand of it without realising. The sickness had lasted a month, coating him to the throat with an itching purple rash that had only faded in the last week. A Vezrin slave on a cart further back had fallen flat into the same patch. He clawed his way down to his thigh bone before a slaver killed him.

NineteenIrrelevant. Open slave carts lined the forest road to Meridian. While slavery was legal in Terenia, a convoy this large was unusual. The road was paved for several leagues Corny. outside the capital, but the slavers used a dirt road that ran along its left side as a sign of respect. Tradition dictated that slavers be hated, so citizens hurled insults and stones at the procession. This meant the slavers and their guards wore a lopsided sort of uniform, armoured on the right side with metal strips Strips seems a bit of a pathetic word, but maybe that is the point. to protect from the halfhearted tosses.

I actually really dig the little left-right tradition. It is a great bit of world-building. I would like maybe for you to make it clearer the missiles are coming from the road, because I actually was sort of mislead into thinking they had arrived in the city. Maybe my bad.

BEWARE INTRODUCING TOO MANY FUNNY WORDS. Metweed, Vezrin, Meridian, Terenia all in very quick succession. Nobody is saying don't add them, just be aware that having lots of odd fantasy words at the start of a novel is the sign of textbook amateur.

Toben had retreated into his mind again. He was on the lee side of the cart, protected from the clatter of missiles by the slave behind him. If the road is parallel, how does this work? A few heavy thuds and a vibrating impact between his wrists made him look up. A guard lay writhing, clutching at a crossbow bolt in his throat. Blood rapidly pooled around him, and he kicked his last. The cart stopped. A second volley of bolts slammed into the convoy, felling slavers and guards with brutal efficiency. Toben saw a thunderous charge of cavalry erupt from the forest. Wide eyed, he looked at his bonds and saw a bolt buried in the knot. He dragged a wrist free before undoing the other side and falling from the cart, a bolt snapping past his head. Behind the cart, citizens scattered.

This whole paragraph is very matter-of-fact and dry for what is meant to be the exciting hook of the story. I think you need to play around with what builds tension and what doesn't. Stuff like "A few heavy thuds and a vibrating impact between his wrists made him look up" is mega clunky and uninteresting.

Screams and shouts filled his ears as he crawled along the ground, seeking safety. His arms and legs worked pitifully and he cursed them for not giving him the strength he needed. A shadow loomed over him. Toben grabbed a fallen blade and lunged upwards, burying it in the guts of a convoy guard. Both fell to the ground in a heap and Toben took rapid, ragged breaths as he slammed his fists into the guards face over and over.

Pace here is much more frantic, like you want.

“He seems dead to me, lad,” said a gentle voice.

Toben turned, stricken, from the shattered face his fists were buried in. A sob wracked his body, threatening to topple him. He looked up. The voice camehad come from a tall soldier in boiled leathers armour and a dirty green tabard. In his right hand was a heavy bladed sword What does that even mean? A bladed sword is an oxymoron, wet with recent use. He had his left outstretched toward Toben Clunky. Tears streaming down his cheeks, Toben looked past the soldier. Other green-tabarded/wearing soldiers moved around purposefully, mounted officers snapping off orders. Cavalry regrouped and pushed their way back through the trees. A few guards still held out and were cut down, most dropped their weapons and surrendered. Further down the convoy, slaves were cut free. Medics Medic seems a bit 'un-fantasy' rushed many away into the forest.

Every single slaver was dead, murdered without mercy. But you just said some were surrendering?

“Come now, lad, if that rash is new we need to get you to the medics as soon as possible,” said the soldier.
“It’s n-not new,” said Toben.
“It’s not an option, lad,” said the soldier as he cleaned his blade with a rag fetched from a pocket. What isn't? Going to medic? Having his leg cut off? Help. It's like the soldier didn't even hear his reply.

Toben nodded, and staggered to his feet.

There was more I could have got picky about, but that seems like enough for starters. For your first foray into creative writing this is by no means bad, but it isn't going to be winning any awards. For an opener it is cliché with not much that stands out. Really only the metweed and left-right stuff caught my attention in a good way. Grammatically speaking there weren't really many mistakes in this at all, so your next step is to ensure that you can deliver a clear and understandable picture to your reader.

I would say your scene-setting was schizophrenic at best, it took me a while to actually figure out how the whole slave system worked. Even now, I'm not clear. They seem to be sitting down, as you describe 'back to back' and then getting whipped from the front for literally no reason which seems like pretty poor business practice for slavers. But in the first sentence you have him shuffle, as if he was standing. And you mention later that he walked through this metweed with another slave. So everything else in the story points to the fact they are actually walking, not sitting. Why else would they be getting whipped? For napping while sitting in a cart? To me it just makes no sense.

Then afterwards we get no description of the roads, the forest etc. Just dry action. I don't feel like I'm getting pulled into the world at all.

Once you can get into getting your vision across clearly, you then need to work on eliminating clunky turns of phrase and making your prose much tighter.

P.S. For the love of Christ don't have gruff soldiers immediately launch into "gentle" and paternal 'lad'-calling. Between the arrow in the bindings as Tiggum said, 'leagues' and fantasy place names, you are painting a big red target on your story that says "I love fantasy books. Let me stick in all those things I like about fantasy books."

Hope your self-esteem survives these thirty lashes and comes back with a more polished version.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Prologue

Rain lashed the windows relentlessly, rattling the panes. Lightning blazed across the heavens and thunder rumbled like some ancient evil. General Braunschweig trembled at every noise under his covers. Veteran of a dozen campaigns over his long and illustrious career but never before had he felt a fear like this. The howling wind played the chimney like a whistle while the familiar creaks and groans of his family seat taunted him. It was the waiting he couldn't bear - too much for an old soldier like himself.

He wrenched the duvet aside and dropped his feet into his bedside slippers. Ridiculous in nightgown and cap he shuffled to the umbrella stand where he kept his old sabre. As his fingers settled into their well-worn grooves on the hilt he felt some calm return. It looked like tonight was going to be another sleepless vigil. It had been a grave mistake getting involved with those ambitious upstarts. He ambled across to his oft-visited liquor cabinet and poured himself a generous brandy. '54 Leipzburg Reserve, his secret weapon for occasions such as these. He figured it might go some way to stopping the tremors, but even if it didn't; he took a long slug from the tumbler and wiped his mouth . Butter-smooth, as always. He had once joked, half-seriously, that Leipzburg was the only friend he could truly rely on.

He sunk down into his old armchair. It creaked and the red leather cushions wheezed and surrendered with a sigh to accommodate him. The firelight played through the amber liquid in his glass, casting warm scythes of light across his trembling hand. He watched it shake detachedly. It was a sobering window into his own past. The missing chunk from his index finger - shrapnel from a misfiring cannon had ripped that away at Alacampha. The dark lateral scar from when that Tarkan officer had gone for him with one of their brutal scimitars. The permanent purplish powder scorch from when a mortar had exploded mere feet away from him at Belkos. Even still, those wounds were slight compared to the savaging time had wrought upon his hands. Yellowing skin, black liver spots and gangrenous looking veins ruptured up from inside, all vying for prominence. His physical appearance was abhorrent to him.

Time. One enemy he couldn't fight with conventional means. Perhaps if he hadn't been so averse to aging gracefully he wouldn't have got into this mess into the first place. Hubris and fear had brought him here. He had once remarked that there was nothing more pathetic and undignified than an old man begging for his life. True words – was what he was doing so different? But show him a man his age who wouldn't have taken the opportunity if it had presented itself. Or perhaps his principles had simply crumbled into dust, he considered darkly. He really had grown old. With that, he necked the rest of the brandy.

The brandy worked its magic and his sabre stopped rattling in its scabbard. Steadiness regained, if not his total composure, he walked to the door.

“Report Corporal,” he barked at the man he had stationed at his door.

There was no reply.

“Corporal, report,” he spoke a little louder, the tremors edging back into his voice.

Still there was no reply.

Sabre at the ready, he swallowed, and slowly turned the door-handle until the latch clicked. He jerked the door open in a quick motion, hoping to catch off-guard anybody lying in wait. But the corridor was empty. No guard, no phantom assassin. Just the sound of the rain on the windows and the glow from the gas lamps. Perhaps the Corporal had merely gone to relieve himself. If he had abandoned his post, by God, he would see him cleaning latrines for a full year. The sabre in his arm drooped as he untensed.

Then, the gaslamp at the furthest end of the corridor was snuffed out. The General blinked, unsure if his aged eyes were playing tricks on him. He gripped his sword tightly once more and strained to see into the murky distance. The next gaslamp along flickered out of existence as he watched. And then like dominoes they died each in turn faster and faster, one by one, until they had all ceased burning. He took several steps backwards, panic seizing his heart and squeezing tight. He felt short of breath. A cold draft blew in from the end of the hall, giving him goosebumps.

“Oh God...” he whispered to himself. Whatever good prayers might do for him now.

The light disappeared - the fire in his bedroom suddenly extinguished - and he was plunged into total darkness. He drew his sabre with a metalline aspiration and dropped the scabbard with a loud clatter.

“Who's there!” he shouted, bravado the last refuge from terror. His words were eaten by the blackness. The only sound was that of the wind and rain. Lightning flashed. In the brief brilliance, something appeared at the end of the corridor. A hunched silhouette of a man, swaying. The light from the flash died away but he could still see something there. A man-shaped illuminance. A peal of thunder grumbled. The silhouette lurched from side to side like a drunkard.

Then it moved. It staggered towards him, horribly slow yet with inexorable intent. General Braunschweig was rooted to the spot, hypnotised by what he was witnessing. The light from the figure grew brighter and it became harder and harder to look at directly. The carpet beneath it began to scorch and smoke. As it got closer, the outer edges became indistinct, less and less human with every step. It began to bubble and drip liquid light. The curtains ignited at its passing.

“I'm not the one you want!” screamed the General towards it “It wasn't me, I was dragged into this. I don't care about the box or its miserable secrets! Leave me be!”

At his shout reverberated throughout the house, the apparition flickered and disappeared like a snuffed candle. The General blinked, agog. Blue and white wraiths danced before his eyes from the sudden absence. For a cruel moment, relief washed over him. Had it left him in peace? He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. As he did, he felt an unnatural warmth behind him. And he knew it was not the warmth of his rekindled fireplace. He turned slowly, dreading. He opened his eyes and was face to face with an abomination. It groaned and burbled, a bright white molten man. The neon effervescence of its skin gave off an oppressive heat and hissed like a snake. The General stared, going blind, into the area where its eyes ought to be.

“What are you?” he whispered.

The nightmare-being didn't speak. It emitted a tortured screech. The volume and dissonance of it conjured up a storm in the room, ripping books from the shelves and smashing bottles and glasses in a deafening fury. In the eye of the storm stood the General and the monster, stock still. General Braunschweig couldn't see, couldn't hear, but he felt the thing wrap him in its liquescent grasp. In a seething column of smoke and fire, the General burned.

This is a Prologue which is the hook for something I am writing. The General is an irrelevant bit-part character and doesn't come up again other than maybe in an oblique reference or two (in my head anyway), so I want this piece to work as a standalone thing that grabs interest while also straddling the line between making the character forgettable but not hollow. Does it grab your interest? Is it crap? Lay it on me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks for the input. What happens to the guy is relevant, just not the guy himself. And yes the box is the major plot point, so no worries on that front.

I only wrote this prologue as a taster of things to come. I did actually post what would have been the original start of my story as its own thread here months ago, but feedback was that really it was too boring. Since then I have spiced up that chapter a little, but really I want the whole thing to start slow and build up into a crescendo. So the cut and thrust of why I put this in is was essentially "Hey guys! Look! Fun stuff will happen if you wait a bit!"

Patronising? Maybe. But I'll hold off before scrapping it.

Things that I'll be aiming to change: Redress the whole character issue of the grizzled-but-cowardly general, tighten up first half, cut some adjectives to appease sebmojo and try to nail down a proper tone. It is so, so easy to fall into the trap of tongue in cheek fantasy tropes and really I want to avoid them at all costs, at least at the start. I think impersonal horror would work better overall, so I'll try to cut the Hollywood.

Shout-out to Kloctopussy, thanks for the line-edit. I'll be incorporating most of that stuff.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Prologue - MARK TWO?

Rain lashed the windows, rattling the panes and lightning ignited thick swathes of cloud. General Braunschweig looked out gravely. It was eerie, out-of-season weather. He was well on his way to finishing his third brandy, but still he could feel his fingers refusing to be still. The palm of his other hand rested on the pommel of his sabre. It had been a mistake getting involved with those ambitious upstarts.

He went to refill his glass from the dwindling reservoir in the decanter and retired to his armchair. The cushions wheezed and surrendered with a sigh to accommodate him. The firelight cast scythes of light across his trembling hand. He watched it shake. It was a sobering window into his own past. The missing chunk from his index finger - shrapnel from a misfired cannon at Alacampha. The dark lateral scar across the back – the scimitar slash of a Tarkan officer. The purplish powder scorch - a chance mortar at Belkos. An ancient map of scar-tissue that you could follow back through the decades. Yet those wounds were slight compared to the savaging time had wrought upon his hands. Yellowed skin, liver spots and gangrenous looking veins ruptured up from inside, all vying for prominence. His physical appearance was an abhorrence to him.

Time. One enemy he couldn't fight with conventional means. If he hadn't been so averse to aging gracefully he wouldn't have gotten into this mess. He remembered remarking once that there was nothing more pathetic and undignified than an old man begging for his life. True words – he thought it still – but was what he was doing so different?

He clutched his tumbler a little tighter. Perhaps his principles had wasted away like the rest of him. Perhaps our dignity withers and fails like the rest of us. Was he then to be blamed? He felt bitterness rise. Show him the man in his place who wouldn't have done the same, he wanted to shout. Show him what the better man would have done. He necked the rest of the brandy in anger, then sagged. It was too late now for regrets and remonstrations. His dignity knew that much at least.

He shook his head and walked to the door.

“Report Corporal,” he commanded the man stationed outside.

There was no reply.

“Corporal, report,” he spoke a little louder, alcohol infused bravado draining from his voice.

Still there was no reply.

Sabre at the ready, he swallowed, and slowly turned the door-handle until the latch clicked. He jerked the door open in a quick motion, hoping to catch off-guard anybody lying in wait. But the corridor was empty. No guard, no phantom assassin. Just the sound of the rain and the glow from the gas lamps. If he had abandoned his post, by God, the man would regret it. The sabre in his arm drooped as he relaxed. Perhaps the man had simply gone to relieve himself.

Then, the gaslamp at the furthest end of the corridor was snuffed out. The General blinked, unsure if his aged eyes were playing tricks on him. He tightened his grip on his sword once more and strained to see. The next gaslamp along flickered out of existence as he watched. There was no mistaking it. And then like dominoes they died, each in turn faster and faster, one by one, until they had all ceased burning. He took several steps backwards, panic seizing his heart and squeezing tight. A cold draft blew in from the end of the hall.

He began to whisper a prayer but stopped himself. Whatever had come for Gerhardt and Albert had come for him. And their prayers had done them no good at all.

His only source of light - the fire in his bedroom – was suddenly extinguished and he was engulfed by darkness. He drew his inadequate sabre dropped the scabbard with a loud clatter.

“Who's there!” he shouted.

His words were eaten by the blackness. Still the only sounds were the wind and the rain. Lightning flashed. In the brief brilliance, something appeared at the end of the corridor. A hunched silhouette of a man, swaying. The light from the flash died away but he could still see it there. A man-shaped illuminance.

The silhouette lurched from side to side like a drunkard. Then it began to stagger towards him, horribly slow yet with inexorable intent. General Braunschweig was rooted to the spot. It was hypnotic. The light from the figure grew brighter and brighter until he had to shield his eyes. The carpet beneath it began to scorch and smoke. As it got closer, the outer edges became indistinct, less and less human with every step. It bubbled and dripped liquid light. The curtains ignited at its passing.

“Leave me be!“ screamed the General as he backed away “I don't have it, I never had it!”

At his shout, the apparition flickered and disappeared. The General blinked. Blue and white wraiths danced before his eyes from the sudden absence. For a cruel moment, relief washed over him. Had it left him in peace? He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. As he did, he felt an unnatural warmth behind him. And he knew it was not the warmth of his rekindled fireplace. Dread filled him. He turned, and was face to face with an abomination. It was a nightmare. It looked like man who had fallen into boiling lead. It stumbled towards him groaning and burbling, thick white gobs of its skin sloughing off onto the floor. It was a living furnace. The General felt his skin begin the blister and his eyes drying in their sockets. The sheer intensity of the light rendered him blind.

He swung his sabre wildly, trying to fend it off, but it was useless. The apparition released a tortured wail. The volume and dissonance of it seemed to bring the storm into the room, ripping books from the shelves and smashing glass in a deafening fury. In the eye of the maelstrom the monster and the General stood together. General Braunschweig couldn't see, couldn't hear. He shouted incoherently. He felt the thing wrap him in its melting grasp. And in a seething column of smoke and fire, the General burned.

Sheer weight of crits encouraged me to get stuck right back into this. I'd like to think I ticked most of the boxes that I set for myself but in doing so I probably made a whole bunch more boxes to tick. To me this feels tighter and slicker, then again that might just be a case of pride before the fall.

P.S. Sabres can totally rattle so :frogout:, but I too wondered whether it was too idiomatic.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 28, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Nubile Hillock posted:

The rest of it I can't really find fault with, but my fine-toothed comb isn't as fine as some others.

:cheers: Good calls.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

This is much improved, I had a go at the first couple of paragraphs see what you think.

You know something works when you read over something and think 'that was what I wrote wasn't it?'.

Coincidentally I was reading some earlier parts of this thread and saw that you really have a disliking for Perdido Street Station. Yeah, I definitely think I know what style of writing really pushes your buttons :yum:

Might necro my old thread with some of my new stuff on this story. Please though, contain your excitement.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

i actually don't mind his style as such, he's a very good writer; it's the pretentiously baroque miserablism that twists my nipples. I should read another of his to see if I like it better.

He does tone it down some, but I'd say that is pretty much omnipresent. Could try Kraken though, it is set in London which constrains the baroque and I vaguely remember it as being not being completely miserable.

But yeah, less derail and more people posting stuff

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I'm sure what seb was trying to say in his own kind-hearted fashion was that:

1) Not every description needs to be the most contrived bullshit simile.

2) The story is trying so hard to be dramatic and edgy that you can see the tryhard from outer space. Look at how often you use those terrible cliché clipped sentences. You aren't writing a comic book.

3) The premise is done to death (hah.), you have ridiculous description in some places and then totally lack it in others, there is no noticeable characterisation, the grammar is shaky.

Here are some choice excerpts for you to mull over:

His demons, his pursuers, his, his… - Not only is this dumb as hell, it completely destroys any 'descent into madness' vibe you might once have dreamed of creating.

The rustle of her clothing (against the cabins wooden floors) made his cheeks twitch like a sputtering sausage on a grill—hot balls of grease splatting cross his temple. - Can anything even be said about this? And man you are just not ready for parentheses.

She was too involved in her thoughts to see the flash of relief accompanied with the dilation of John’s pupils to sense anything was wrong. - I too often look into people's eyes and see whether they dilate as in indication of MURDEROUS INTENT.

His rationality gone; it joined his love for her in the godforsaken pit of his stomach. - Barf. What is godforsaken about it? Did he eat too many sputtering sausages?

Time to prepare, you can’t murder someone and not be ready. That’s like showing up late to your own wedding. It’s just not done. - This is what should not be done.

John examined their carving knife, too dull. His axe; too small. - THIS KNIFE? TOO DULL. THIS AXE? TOO SMALL. THIS LOG? JUUUUUUST RIGHT! No it isn't idiot, a log is a dumb weapon and axe's aren't small unless they are hatchets and even still that is a better murder weapon. Not only that but you have this whole misleading spiel about a table leg which is clearly leading into being the murder weapon then you just loving forget about it or something. What the hell.

The red sky glinted through the windows gently and splattered on the walls. Yellow suddenly accompanied them. - Keats eat your heart out.

Firewood. He could bludgeon her to death with a log. Perfect. Burnable evidence, a dead wife, and a roaring fire. Perhaps there is hot chocolate as well. - Amazing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

GiveUpNed posted:

Hi there. It's for an entrance porfolio for an advertising program. They provided an image and I'm supposed to write a story based on it. The reason it's contrived, is due to me being constrained by the photo.

Is that a joke? Unless this photo is a picture of the words you wrote and you copied them down, then I fail to see how it is relevant. I didn't call your story contrived, although it is a typical 'log cabin in the woods' yarn, I called your descriptions contrived. Foreheads bubbling, Deserts aching, suns drowning, cabins like mold on peaches - this is beyond fanciful. It roars straight through the borders of poncy right into pretension county.

If my comments made you feel defensive it is at least a sign you care, but at the same time don't loving bother giving excuses unless you've got good reason. You asked to get torn apart, and hey look, you did. I haven't given you a full and in-depth crit by any means, but that is because you are really not at the stage where a line by line crit would really do you any good. You need to take a day or two away from what you wrote, lose any attachment to it, come back and look at it in the cold light of day. Look at your words, especially the lines I highlighted. Do you read any author who writes like that?

That is meant to be a rhetorical question, but if they answer is 'yes', then maybe go to The Book Barn and get some recommendations because, yeah, no.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Welcome back. Let's begin.

GiveUpNed posted:

Memories

Keenly looking out the rustic log cabin window, leaning over the work bench in front of him with binoculars in one hand hanging at his side, John scanned the tree tops looking for Jack.

First thing I have to say here is that you have three concurrent verbs all working at once before you even get to the subject. John is looking, leaning and also the binoculars get on the action by hanging. We get all this before we even find out the protag's name. You then repeat 'looking for' completely superfluously. Your first sentence is a good indicator of how you mean to continue. Continue in this case meaning 'continue to use looooads of adverbs and feed the reader with weird tangential data'. In this case, it is 'keenly' and talking about the binocs.

Jack, you see, was adopted by John as a child. Sentence structure makes it ambiguous as to who was a child. Obviously later becomes clear Jack was a bird, but not yet. One cold April day, his cat started to irritatingly (HELLOOOO ADVERB) pad the back door, like fingernails gently clasping a wine glass. This description not as grievous as some of your previous attempts, so I forgive you. Still is a long way from being poetic or good. His mind occupied with other things, he absent mindedly opened the door to let the cat in.

Chirping accompanied the cat’s paw steps Fascinating, tell me more dull poo poo please.. Aghast John looked down to see his cat gnawing on a baby winter wren’s wing. It was pitifully fluttering about trying to escape, its bright red flight feather wiggling between the cat’s teeth.

John felt sorry for the little guy Tone issues.. He was never one for pets, yet seeing the fluffy little creature chirping in pain while the cat purred with pride struck him Mouthful. Quickly shooing the cat way, John rescued the tiny bird. He built a shoebox nest for it using paper towels and shredded paper, feeding it with an eye dropper and using a desk lamp to provide it with warmth.

He christened it “Jack” after his favorite grandpa, Jack Friesen, who lived down the street Too specific and irrelevant. Jack and John’s relationship was like that of a scorpion or goldfish Don't give the reader options like this unless actually necessary, an interesting pet that you show to people. Jack couldn’t play catch, or cuddle with John at night, yet John didn’t mind. Jack was beautiful, and interesting and cool to show to other kids. In this para: A whole bunch of telling and not showing.

John hadn’t thought of Jack ofGrammar years until he saw him an hour ago at the cabin. He was outside with his father-in-law discussing non-profit law Pro-bono or not-for-profit. Suddenly, there Jack was. He briefly landed in a bush by their table, before darting away, a red trail accompanying him in the grey sky Poor phrasing..

Childhood memories rushed back to John in an instant. Everyone in Brandon wanted to see the weird bird the kid with no friends had Bad. Eventually John no longer needed Jack to get people to talk to or like him. Double bad. I hate this pair of sentences. It is like deadpanning the whole point of the story in the most dire way.

Jack somehow knew and escaped his cage This is somehow terrible. Expand on this in a non-terrible way. 'It was as if Jack could sense...' etc.. He simply vanished.

Exclaiming he had to get something, John rushed inside for his binoculars hanging by the door on a coat hook and then to a window. Desperately scanning the treetops for Jack with the binoculars, John couldn’t find him. You wax lyrical so often, but here you totally lack and of the drama this piece so desperately needs.

The grey sky was streaked with blood red dashes of colour Is this intentional repetition of red on grey? If it is, I don't get the point. . Nightfall was arriving. His eyes tired, he lowered the binoculars in his right hand, absent mindedly picked up a spool of string with his left and scanned the sky a last time.

Suddenly, with a flutter, Jack landed on a fir by the window.

It wasn’t him.

Of course it wasn’t. Wrens don’t live forever. Smiling to himself John silently thanked Jack, wherever he was, for helping him as a child. Turning his back on the window, to rejoin his father-in-law outside, the red-feathered wren gave a shrill chirp and flew away into the night.

OK friend. Here are my general pointers for the writing:

- Stay the gently caress away from adverbs if you can help it.
- Assess your overly long sentences. Read them out loud. Are they stilted and flow poorly in speech? Then they flow poorly on the page too.
- While you assess this, consider whether the information you are providing contributes to the narrative. Does it give colour/flavour, does it add something? No? Then loving cut it.

Here are specific pointers to this piece:

- The premise is incredibly simple, but you have verbal padding where it is totally pointless and then lack it where it is necessary. Use your words more judiciously.
- The conclusion is truly atrocious. I'm sorry, but pretending like the realisation that the wren is dead is somehow meant to make me go 'woah, deep man' is deeply flawed It fails to capture what you wanted (I imagine), which is this kind of slightly heart-warming life goes on vibe.

If you wanted to change the piece for the better, I would suggest working on the emotional front. Get him surprised/hopeful at the start at seeing the bird, have him reminisce happily about his nurturing of Jack (BETTER NAME PLEASE) and then chastise himself for getting his hopes up but not being sad because he enjoyed Jack's presence while he was alive. My 2 cents.

EDIT: Forgot to say that this, as you might put it, has a kernel of a good idea in there somewhere if it was substantially reworking and realigned. Therefore marginally better than last time. Take the crumbs of praise, take them.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 11, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Obeah posted:

Rebel Yell

“What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”
- T.S. Eliot

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”
- Winston Churchill

“The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic.”
- Charles Darwin

CHAPTER 0
PRELUDE TO AN END

My name is Morgan Stone. At least, that’s the name I was born with. I was also a naked infant when I was born, but as you can see, I am one no longer. I carried that name like a stone for twenty-five years. Do you know what stones were made to do?

Hold you down.

When did I cast the stone into the sea? When was I reborn - not as a fleshy, mewling child but as a grown man with sophisticated taste and the loftiest of aspirations? Ah… sometimes I can scarcely remember. Perhaps it was on the docks of the Amnok, where I saw the sputtering smoke of a dying nation. Perhaps it was in the fields of Portsmouth, Ohio. There I saw Lion and Cub - the symbol of my bright future and the shadow of my dark past. Perhaps it was in Japan, where perhaps my story will finally end. If I truly remembered, would it even matter? Perhaps.

I introduce myself to a lot of people, as you may have noticed. It’s part of the job. Peanuts for pleasantries, and this dusty ol’ Earth just keeps on spinnin’. My dreams carry me over the questionable nature of my job. Dreams… dreams can take even the most befuddling of questions and turn them into answers. Even as I stand on a balcony, looking over the neon city of Tokyo and listening to the polite business banter of the Yamaguchi-gumi associates that surround me, I can only think of dreams. This all, simply put, is too real for me. Too tangible. If my mind had a tongue, it could taste this scene - sour and no sweet.

The Canadian will be here tonight. This little tidbit I have on good authority, or at least, trustworthy authority. He is tall, white, and speaks fluently only in his native tongue. Perhaps he’s decent with French. But Japanese?

Not a chance.

He will have an interpreter. The advantage is already mine. When I finally smoke him, when I finally obliterate his tangibility, when I have cast him into nothingness… then I will truly know peace. I will sleep the dreamless sleep once more. Well, for a time being at least. That’s the thing about sleeping giants - they’re not dead. And unless they die in their sleep, they will awake. I hope I will sleep for a millennia, like the dragons of old. I hope my sleep is a sound and deep one. I hope.

There is a chatter of laughter. The veil of inscrutability lifted for the briefest of moments. I turn from the cityscape and look into the penthouse. Mounted playfully upon The Bull, he rides into a circle of Gokudo. The Bull sweats and grunts. The Canadian’s eyes roll back into his head, and he shrieks into the face of a bowing and blushing Geisha. He has not brought an interpreter. Some things are best left unsaid, I suppose. I flick my clove into the streets below, hoping it doesn’t result in a chain reaction. Hoping it doesn’t create a beautiful and rippling butterfly of death and fire. Only one man deserves to die tonight.

I reach into my coat pocket. The grenade’s still there.

I am Rebel Yell.

CHAPTER 1
THE CUB, LIVING

Soft and pink, I was truly the clitoris of men - minus the pleasure. Morgan Stone was awkward. Morgan Stone was quiet. Morgan Stone didn’t get respect or results. Morgan Stone was, simply put, Morgan Stone. Fortunately, he didn’t die the way he lived.

I guess you’d be familiar with the basic concept. A white collar schlub plodding through a life of mind-numbing drudgery? Looks like fate got lazy and gave me a rerun. I guess I could stand to be a bit more specific - I was IT director for my town’s middle school. On paper, I’m sure it doesn’t sound all that difficult, but keeping that stable of old mares runnin’ was nothing short of a Herculean effort.

Disclaimer: You seem completely literate and able to competently string together sentences. Good for you. I don't have any problems with your English save a few fiddly bits and I can't help but think ellipses look dumb nearly 100% of the time.

But you didn't post this for boring stuff, so from my perspective, here is what worked and what didn't:

Good

- You mostly imitate a neo-noirish narrator effectively.

- The punchy end to Chapter 0 works well. In fact I think it is the best part of the piece by a long way.

- There are some rather cute turns of phrase, 'peanuts for pleasantries' etc.

Bad

- The weakest point of this is the effete, grandiloquent tone. What might have cut it as semi-rambling but still incisive noir prose flops because of ridiculous dreck over and over, thanks to constant narrator qualification to statements (at least, I hope, I guess, I suppose, perhaps - there is that one paragraph where you have 'perhaps' five goddamn times in quick succession) and thanks also to eye-gougingly pretentious musings interspersed throughout. 'I was truly the clitoris of men' - OK, I burst out laughing. But after the completely deadpan and serious tone set up so far, especially after the oh-so-cool 'I am Rebel Yell', this was the worst thing in the world. And it doesn't stop there, every time you could just be pithy and dry you paddle so far up poo poo creek you go back up to the poo poo springs and down into the making GBS threads source. Everything stone related about Morgan Stone, everything about the animal symbolism, everything about motherfucking dreams and everything about sleep - it is all affected cliché trash. I'm sorry, but that is what it is. You shoot for dark mysterious guy who is so blasé and sardonic and in control but you end up with megalomanic buffoon, like some villain explaining his plans all along while he has the hero at his feet only to get shot mid exposition.

- Really, everything else after that seems a little minor - but you are setting yourself up for a fall with two antagonists called 'The...' something. It is incredibly overused. Try and innovate. The nationality one is especially common.

- Try and avoid fantasy-lite things like 'I am one no longer', 'like the dragons of old', 'cast him into nothingness' etc.

- I really can't stress enough how jarring the narration is to me, so I'll say it again. You aim for something crass and amusing, and a wiseacre jimmie (jimmie?) but in reality you seem to have got shafted with a pretentious weirdo. Instead of the route you go down, if I wanted to achieve what you set out for, I would make my character dismissive and cocksure and then have lots of exposition about seemingly irrelevant small details - essentially boasting about how much he knows.

- Oh yeah, just remembered. Starting a story with a quote is personal preference and sometimes objectionable. Starting with two is pretty unusual and almost certainly has good reason. Starting with three, well, that just means make your loving mind up and choose which one fits best. Don't just browse google for 'cool quotes about beginnings' and stick the coolest top three in because you can't choose.

For me this was a strange critique, almost entirely bound to personal taste rather than 'objective' error. I don't know how far people will agree with me, but if anybody goes and gives you a line-edit, I can only imagine them finding the places to cut being the long meanders into pseudo-philosophy.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Cervid posted:

Hey, sebmojo. I am taking all your criticisms into account because I know I have a lot to learn as a writer. The following is me trying to answer your questions, not dispute your judgement. If you or anyone else would like to show me how to get these points across effectively, I am all ears.

Well, I meant the implication to be that the sailors knew they were all marked men and would die if they told the story to anybody because either :devil: or :cthulhu:. The reader can decide for themselves. That's why they acted weird but said nothing to the protagonist and that's why the protagonist was claimed when he did tell. His desperate scramble to religion was his way of fending off those feelings of being the walking damned that the others simply surrendered to.

As for the beginning, I tried to build it up and make you curious about my protagonist: why does this guy look so old at 34? Why he does he pray all the time and throw dishes at friends he doesn't want to see, or else, things that he thinks aren't really his friends? How did he die and why? A little character investment and suspense. I just assumed that the first few paragraphs would fall into place at the end.

The narrator is there because everybody in the town wonders about this guy. This person is a local who wanted to know his story and figured out a way to do it. They tell everybody else word for word, including the reader.

But if I failed to make all of the above clear, then yes, I deserved to lose. Absolutely. I will work on making myself clearer in the future.

I was going for more of an atmospheric horror rather than a graphic one. I must have misunderstood what was expected and if that's the case, I also deserved to lose for that too.

As far as the ed note thing, unterrifyingness of eels, formatting, misuse of barracks, and not quite hitting the Lovecraft mark, I agree totally. But drat, do I love me some Lovecraft. Had to try.

Sebmojo is a busy kiwi and has many crits. Here I will shine some light on what you think, what he said and what you wrote.

You thought: It was heavily implied that to speak of the demonic ship would mean doom for the teller in your opening.

He said: Your entire opener was wiffle.

You wrote: A long, overwrought opening. You do not effectively establish this implication because there is no concrete or subtle allusion to the fear of reprisal. Our man Jan's reticence is far more plausibly attributed to having witnessed something so horrible it has mentally scarred him. He does not want to talk about it, like 'Nam vets don't want to talk about it. Readers are loathe to go back and reconsider past matters, especially in a short story. First impressions are your last impressions - we only hear about the reprisals in the last few lines as a mysterious occurrence which is just as easily thought of as suicide driven by the haunting horrors he has witnessed.

You thought: You established shipmates acting in a disconcerting and elusive manner which would make the reader suspicious. Also that he ran to religion as a means of resistance to their simple giving in to demonic powers.

He said: Wha? Who?

You wrote: A middle section without any crew to speak of. Beyond the captain who is neither seen nor described and the faceless deckhands (oh, how could I forget 'a pale, thin hand'!). This is the section where you build up your desired 'atmosphere'. All that comes of it is confusion. You pique interest, you build tension, you have creepy pay-off - Horror in a nutshell. You have some form of hook and some form of pay-off but both are ruined by the sandwich filler. Really, your central section is a complete write off. What wager? Why all the saintly foreshadowing that leads nowhere? From boarding till the end of the voyage is the shortest part of your story while in reality it IS your story. The rest is just winding up and winding down. The balance, therefore, is broken.

The religion thing is also another case of Occam's razor. Any normal reader will assume he sought refuge in religion as solace from his horrifying experience, as yet unrecounted in the prose. Not whatever you hoped.

You thought: Your opening paragraphs established interest and developed Jan's character.

He said: Wiffle.

You wrote: Wiffle. You do sort of achieve what you want, but you achieve it in an affected and circuitous manner. It does not take a quarter of your story to establish a prematurely aged, reclusive and God-fearing man with a story to tell. Speculation on whether he might have had a wife, what his friends wondered, what I, as a reader, may or may not have guessed, his cluttered home etc. are irrelevant.

You thought: The narrator was a useful addition and rooted the plot in a town's curiosity about this old man.

He said: If he's just a conduit, cut him and tell the story directly.

You wrote: A first person narration that in turn gives another person's first person narration, for no benefit to the story whatsoever. The narrator is stilted and roundabout in his mannerisms, to an extent that invites comparisons to parody. Without any development to the narrator as a character beyond that he is a nosy priest, we receive the bulk of the story as reported speech in the guise of direct speech in the past tense. It is meaningless. Also, none of town seems to come into the plot at all, or at least in the way you seem to think it does, so the narrator's motivations are opaque.

I would have rather seen the opening and conversation occur in the present, where you are freer from the temptation to add things like editor's notes or musings on Jan looking back. You can then conclude in the past tense if you so desire.

You thought: You shot for atmospheric horror when the prompt was directed towards graphic horror, and this was a mistake on your part.

He said: Not much, but you do kind of write a Lovecraftian atmosphere.

You wrote: Some atmospheric horror, with problems as outlined above. Your choice was not wrong and the brief did not point towards graphic horror. The reason many chose to do so is innate writer's instinct for writing along the path of least resistance. 1200 words is not many words, and atmospheric horror requires suspense and tension building - which 1200 does not well afford to any but the most clinically precise and clear writers. You took on a sheer mountain without climbing tools. You didn't make it, but it doesn't matter. You lost very little other than your time and some pride you didn't need and have hopefully gained some insight from what I and others have written.

If all we wrote was useless, at least take away some super-simple freebie tips:

Never use ellipses in a doomed attempt to create dramatic timing. It always looks amateur and never actually works.

Think about your the basic structure of hook, tension, pay-off.

Wait a day after writing and then come back with less rose-tinted eyes. Cut what adds nothing - if the best you can say about a sentence or clause is a weak 'it kind of adds flavour', get rid of it.

Avoid melodrama (I'm looking at you, final sentence.) If something is dramatic, it will speak for itself. Don't feel the need to end a story on a deep, resounding or philosophical note. Nine times out of ten, cutting off closer to the end of the action will serve you better than piling on more post-scriptums that tie up loose ends.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

First off, I'd like to point out that you are a better developed writer than most of the people who wash up on the shores of TD. Your dialogue already seems solid - enough that I wouldn't blink an eye to see it in a published work. Your descriptions, from those two pieces at least, can err on the side of heavy-handedness, but I can already see glimmers of subtlety and good flow. Given you've just come back to writing after ten years, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

As to your question of "how the hell do I write something short?", the answer is probably one you might have feared: it really does vary from person to person. It is possible you are more suited to writing longer pieces, and yes, short stories do come more naturally to some people, but I wouldn't immediately close off an entire avenue of writing just on a hunch.

I've written a whole bunch of TD entries and a number of short stories to word limits outside of SA, and even from the very off I've rarely ever gone more than 200-300 words over the given limit. More often than not I finish very close to the word limit without any editing whatsoever. I don't have a silver bullet solution for you, to me it comes very naturally and I have lots of experience of writing to word limits for years and years, but I might have a few helpful suggestions.

- Don't spend much time thinking about world building. In flash fiction the name of the game is faking it, not making it. You don't have the space to wax on about the background or the world your characters inhabit. You are creating and resolving a single scene, you only need as much extraneous detail as make the background not ring hollow. It doesn't matter if things are off the cuff or unexplained, the human brain is brilliant at parsing over stuff that it doesn't understand while taking in general impressions of "ooh, sci-fi" or "oooh, words in latin".

- If you're worried about coming to a single idea and then being unable to stop it unfolding out of control, stop yourself. You've come up with an idea: now, what is your ending and what is your beginning. Know how you will start and how you will finish and you will have total control over what happens in between. You may change some of it, you may change all of it - what matters is that you write under that belief during first draft. Write from goal post to goal post and you should find yourself with a much more manageable story. If you don't know how it ends when you start, you don't know when it ends either.

- Finally, because overloading with info is never helpful, if you are writing a story and you can't help that it is balling out of control - you're on a roll and can't stop writing down the good poo poo - just let it pan out. Once you've finished your thousand-word-over-the-limit draft don't even think about line editing. Just don't bother. You need to step back, look at what you've written and decide: how much of this opening do I need? It doesn't matter how well written it is, if you can still make sense of the story from 500 words further in then move the beginning 500 words further in. Can you cut it off more abruptly? Are there some irrelevant paragraphs?

Take your Historical Horror story for example. You said you had trouble keeping it under the limit. As an unbiased outsider, I can already see ~200 words that are easily cut from the start. The scene description of the battlefield is nice but irrelevant in the grand scheme. In fact, I much prefer to start with the dialogue. It is punchier and much better a hook than plain description. Even a casual glance over it and I can see at least two or three hundred more words that could be creamed off, not at any cost to the story and even sometimes to the improvement of it.

NB: Next week's TD should be good for you; dialogue focus is already playing to your stronger suit.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

systran posted:

I may read and crit this later, but for future reference everyone: please make sure that the formatting of what you post looks godd in an SA window. If you c/p it from wordpad or something it's going to look like a mess. Either give us a google docs link or format it before you submit. I don't know if this bothers anyone else but it just kills me trying to read stuff with no white space.

Yeah, now I just write my stuff for the forums naturally like that. Line break every paragraph, line break every instance of dialogue.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

the posted:

Currently Untitled Work, Chapter 1

My first flash fiction, and I didn't see a recent entry for a critique...

The first memory I had is was the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. That’s as far back as I could remember Redundant. Just covered that.. Blood and pain. Connective needed, or para break. Everything was in a daze., and for a while I wasn’t sure if I was still dreaming. Then the kick woke me up. A boot that must have come from the leg of some large goon Why must it? We don't even know what's happening or have our eyes open. The pain rippled in waves, giving me goosebumps what?, and I was barely awake enough to even register it Fine on its own, but contradicts waves of pain., but my body knew something was wrong and quickly sent adrenaline coursing through my veins cliché. I rolled over on the floor, instinctively trying to shield myself from any further blows.

“You survived, excellent." Melodrama cliché. Better not to directly address protagonist here I think. I heard said a voice from somewhere in the dark.

I realized You don't 'realize' stuff like this I still hadn’t opened my eyes yet. It felt like a herculean effort but presumably wasn't one, if it only felt like it. No need to qualify this. It 'was' is fine., but I began to examine wherever the hell I was. The first detail I noticed was the floor beneath me. It smelled of blood and bleach So we have the rigmarole of establishing opening eyes, then the first thing you do is smell something, and the stains were probably mine even the bleach?. Dimly lit in red, I was lying next to an operating table Reverse the clause then remove comma. Large, stained robotic drills arched menacingly over the table, with dark wiring protruding out 'dark wiring' really necessary?. Monitors sat on the walls, giving off a mechanical hum as they displayed data. It was then I realized that the source of my current pain was casting a shadow through the red directly onto me Incredibly overwordy and indirect. My eyes traced a path from the recently acquainted nah boot up his seven foot figure. He was augmented, that’s that was for sure. Looked to be pneumatic limbs, probably a reinforced rib cage for good measure though we can only see his silhouette? too much tell, in a hurry. The usual fare for any hired criminal thug/goon? hired criminal?. He could likely punch through a brick wall while taking a bullet to the chest without breaking a sweat mmm. His dark gray eyes stared at me from a skull covered in scars why 'skull?' also where else are eyes likely to stare from?.

“How does it feel?” the same voice asked again.

I turned my head in the direction it came to see a thin man in a suit seated in a chair cliché, legs crossed with his hands clasped in front of his face expectantly. I didn’t recognize him, but the suit definitely put him in the upper echelon, diamond-level category, from the rich high-rises TOO MUCH TELL. Be natural man, resist temptation.. I staggered to try nonsense Englishto get to my feet, but something prevented me from doing so. I had been so focused on the pain and confusion that I hadn’t noticed. My hair was all missing, but that couldn’t be, because I distinctly felt a pulling sensation on the back of my head when I moved. I instinctively reached back. That’s That was when I realized the magnitude of my situation enough realizing. The numbing agent had prevented the pain receptors from my skull and brain from registering the situation, at least until they wore off. My hand reached the back of my neck, and I all I felt was metal. Metal and wires and probably blood mixed with bonding fluid, and a small mechanical heat. Something actually OK. Effective physical horror, even if ripped wholesale from The Matrix It was coming from my brain stem too much. I could hear a tiny click-click of an electronic processor operating right behind my ear.

“...What…” was all I could muster in my state of shock and confusion. maybe just avoid protag speech until character is developed a fraction. I always hate this kind of bleary, dazed opener.

“The operation was a success,” said the thin man.

I slowly turned my head around, feeling the mechanics of whatever was attached to me slithering behind like a snake nice. Whatever the device was, it was hooked into the monitors behind me, reading out my heart rate, blood pressure, and other statistics that I had no idea what they meant do better. A terror began to fill within me as I processed what was going on, with the monitor registering my increased heart rate. I turned back to face the thin man. The anesthesia had worn off enough to where I felt like I could properly engage him. a good idea

“Where am I?”

“You don’t need to know that.” villain eh? perhaps play it disinterested rather than coy. more effective.

“Who are you? Who the gently caress…,” I raised my voice, which caused a spike of pain in my head, “Who the gently caress are you?!” Pain sheared and I had to shut my eyes. winced?

“He’s ready.” said somebody else. although obvious here, don't introduce a third party in a 2-way convo

I felt a cold hand grasp the metallic object behind my head. A hard yank pulled my neck upward, followed by a *cha-thunk* mmm and the most indescribable sensation that something was being pulled out of my head and out of my brain.

That was the last detail I remember before I was in the alley. NO especially not given how this piece starts with remembering. Action break, double line break, start afresh The rain woke me up, pouring like it usually does at night. I found myself seated against the side of a concrete building. I glanced out of the alley. The neon lights of “La Mystique” illuminated the alleyway. I wasn’t far from home. I staggered up, my head rocking with the worst hangover in my life. Whatever I’d had, it had thrown me for a loop. I’d never had hallucinations like that before, that real before. I walked out of the alley into the street. The road wasn’t too crowded this time of night. The bustle of citizens going to and fro was accompanied like a symphony by the rainfall sentence is poor English although a nice attempt, the occasional vehicle boring, and the banter of shopkeepers. I walked up to a stim-vendor. At least no one had taken my ID during my blackout.

“One stimpak please,” Fallout anyone? Also is he getting this for his hangover? I scanned my ID card. The shopkeeper verified my identity. As I moved to put it back in my pocket, it slipped out of my hands and fell to the ground as opposed to the ceiling. Must be the hangover sigh. I bent down to pick it up.

“Hey man, you’re bleedin’,” the shopkeeper muttered curious as to why 'muttered'?. I instinctively this guy is just all instinct huh grabbed the back of my neck. I felt a steel a whole steel? and stitches, and saw blood on my hand when I pulled it back. It wasn’t a blackout that I’d just been through. Your big reveal is massively telegraphed so you could at least make it a little more dramatic or horrible. The playing it cool deadpan reveal strategy is for when the reader really doesn't see it coming, so their own surprise does the rest. In this case, no.

Spare the rod, spoil the child. I regretted going into a line-edit on this pretty quickly because there is too much for me to correct but maybe in the end it's for the best. This is slapdash - there are tense errors, grammar mistakes and clunkiness throughout. The premise is cliché (did I mention that?), you reuse vocabulary to the extent that it is noticeable and the story itself doesn't have much going for it yet. This reads like a muddy medley of popular culture, a little bit Deus Ex/Judge Dredd/Matrix/Fallout. I realise this is flash fiction (though 100% part of longer piece, right?) and nothing in it feels original, individual or inventive.

Key homework:

- Avoid telling. cf. too much info about augments, diamond level. Work it into your story gently - don't overload reader but especially don't break immersion by clearly having a character act like a dictionary.

- Avoid qualification of statements. This is such a common amateur mistake and is an instant red flag. There is no shame in doing it because every writer does it, especially if they are unused to writing prose, but try your best. This includes things like 'began to...', 'realised that...', 'felt like...' etc. All of those from a quick scan over this piece, there are more in there and hundreds more you can use in writing. Always remember to take the shortest route to the character's thoughts

- Be careful to stay in your character's head. Too often in this story I can feel omniscient narrator coming in and filling blanks that the character can't possibly have known yet, given what the reader has been told.

- Read over your work, twice, to check for sense and continuity. Unless this was you on a really bad day, you aren't at the level where flow comes particularly cleanly. Every sentence is a stepping stone and when you are writing action-type, non-literary fiction like this you want to keep each one as close as possible to make it easier for your reader to stay abreast of what is happening.

- 'That's' is not a contraction of 'that was'. It is present tense, don't use it in stories written in the past tense.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 5, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

the posted:

Regarding the cliche nature, if I'm writing a piece of genre fiction, how can it not in some way be cliche? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely asking. I've been wanting to write a cyberpunk story for awhile, and I figured the best way to start it would be to drop the protagonist into a hard-boiled situation where he's being roughed up against his will by some nefarious corporation (which I didn't make specifically clear, yet), and also play on body horror imagery with his body being changed against his will.

Glad to see you didn't get put off by a mauling - it is 100x more useful to you to get a proper critique than it is to get some ego-assuring lies.

Cyberpunk as a genre comes with a few strings attached, certain boxes that are often ticked or expected to. Including stuff that others have done before is simply unavoidable and there is nothing wrong as a writer to tread on old ground, so long as you make that old ground your own in some way.

I pointed out 3 things in your line edit as cliché:

1) The first one was a language issue: Phrases like 'adrenalin coursing through veins', 'a shiver ran up her spine' etc are very derivative and played out. I was nit-picking, perhaps, but to get into the habit of avoiding that sort of thing is a good one to be in.

2) The opening line of 'You survived, excellent'. How is that cliché? Well if I put that into google in quotation marks, half my results are truly cringeworthy fan-fictions. Does that make it clear enough? It is uninteresting - I feel I have heard that kind of opener so many times it makes my head spin. It's so...obvious? Be more creative. It seems straight out a corny Bond movie.

3) My final line-edit cliché was again a different kind (this turned out surprisingly well). This time I was complaining about the scene setting itself. OK, we have unknown protagonist being tortured/modified by...a thin man in a suit, sitting down with legs crossed and hands steepled. Again, this is so very Bond villain. It might as well be Mr. Burns. It raises a million preconceptions and this harms your story. It is a shortcut to reader comprehension, using tropes, but it also turns a reader's brain off. Been there, done that. This makes for a poor story hook - you're writing not genre fiction but generic fiction.

tl;dr

When I whine about cliché, it isn't that you're doing stuff that has been done before, it's because you're doing stuff that has been done before the same way. You need to put your own spin on it and make it creative and novel. Twiddle 'dem knobs.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Lying in bed and going through the dregs of a massive quantity of words of varying quality produced in a questionably fuelled marathon writing thing. This is one of them:

none of these things have any titles, so whatever

The sun breaks over the Arldale crags like molten glass. It bubbles languorously over sheer-faced limestone bluffs and drowns the whole valley. Barns like ancient rocken tombs grow up from the corners of dewy fields, crossed and crossed again by the grey striations of the walls that time built. Sheep float down blind-eyed highways like cotton-whisps on a slow wind and nobody can remember a time when it hasn’t been that way. Geological ages have passed and passed away here.

It possesses bleak beauty, the kind that ruins have, the kind cathedrals gain when reduced to baser parts; columns and buttresses, masonry blocks with family names and the weathered eyes of gargoyles all succumbing to grass.

And still, you haven’t seen it until you’ve seen it in the rain. The rain there is the most beautiful in the world, when the fog rolls in over the mountain tops and wraps the valleys like a shroud. You know it only when the grey light of afternoon seems everywhere and the moss whispers to you in morse drips against the susurrance of millions more, only when the rain slick slates pick out the staring chartreuse eyes of lichen and you can just smell damp woodsmoke settling on the breeze.

I remember hearing as a child some plea or prayer, a wish that we might be understood, as well as understand. It comes back to me under the rain in Arldale, with the fading ring of hymns and organs and I think that maybe, just maybe, all the world’s problems could be washed clean, if only everyone could spend just one day under the rain there - because it’s really something, the rain in Arldale. It really is something.

I haven't written seriously purple stuff for a while. I got rid of a few of the words I seemed to have invented while writing, though I left 'rocken' in because it sounds baller. How bad is it? Also Arldale is not a real place, though it is kind of based on a real place I guess.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Thunderdome homework as administered by Bad Seafood:

Two people exchange dark glances from across a crowded place. I want 1,000 words and what is clearly only the middle chapter of their saga.

753 words

Jake followed the target inside the car. The target's large headphones framed a boyish face barely out of high school, and his backpack's bulk suggested a laptop nesting inside. He was the hacker known as Pillow-Man. Just some kid beneath their notice. Until now.

Time to try a new style of critique. Your opening is mostly fine, although saying that Jake was following in 'the car' completely threw me when it turned out you meant a train-car. I just thought you had made a mistake. Maybe 'nestling' rather than 'nesting'. Pillow-Man is a dumb hacker name too, but whatever. I'm not a fan of the 'Until now' as a standalone sentence.

The stock market had crashed. Entire companies disappeared in the world's major indexes, their records wiped in entirety. A crime so bloodless in this scale was unprecedented, and Jake's organization predicted the worst. But nothing out of the ordinary happened. CEOs did not hang themselves, nor did their companies cease running, despite irreversible losses. The economy doesn't work this way, his mind protested. Where was the chaos? He felt dirty wishing for it to come.

Getting some background to the situation, OK. Be aware that your homework was to fit in the middle of a story and remember that such a recap is a little bit out of place. The 'crime so bloodless' line is worse than leprosy. I think this whole paragraph is redundant, especially for what is meant to be a taut thriller. It is not the place for musing about the economy. And felt 'dirty'? Wishing for economic collapse baby, it gets me so hot.

The target shifted his bag in front, digging inside it. Jake's hand twitched in his pocket. He wouldn't be able to do anything in this cramped train. Besides, his orders were to observe and follow. He blinked away, squinting at the buildings zipping by.

Fine. Cramped is a bit of a weird word to use - it implies the train is small, not overcrowded.

"J9 to J2. I'm in position," he whispered to his earphone mic, covering his mouth.

"Copy that, J9. Remember your orders. Observe." If he went beyond his mission parameters and captured the target, what would they do?

Is the foreshadowing here too obvious?

He acknowledged, swimming in his own thoughts. Very few hackers could have done what happened to the stock market. Because no one had claimed responsibility yet, they ruled out the more politically-aligned ones. Pillow-Man only did pranks, without a care for profit or destruction. His skill was legendary in some circles.

Might as well cut 'in some circles'.

Was he acting on his own? Or did someone get him to do the job? Jake evaluated the target again. He was scrawny. A takedown from behind could do the job. But he mustn't risk damaging whatever was inside the backpack.

Seems realistic enough.

A pair of brown eyes stared back at the window's reflection. A moment of knowing passed between them. As the target's eyes narrowed, Jake wondered how obvious he looked, how green he was right out of training. Pillow-Man held up an old cellphone, texting while maintaining his gaze.

I like the moment of eyes meeting via the reflection in the window. The whole 'green out of training' stuff is odd and out of place however. You can't really 'see' that.

A burst of deafening static spat out of his device. The world rolled like a ship caught in a wave. His grip on the handrail tightened.

Nice

J2 spoke through the ringing in his ears. "Update us, J9. Our feeds are scrambling. What happened?"

"He's found me out," Jake said. A wan smile played across Pillow-Man's lips. He looked away, as if the matter had been dealt with.

"Abort the mission, J9. Execute Plan E. We need to assume his backer is aiding him. We've played too much of our hand already."

"And let him get away? This is our only chance!" Jake considered his options. If he could just get close to him...

"Stand down, J9. I repeat, stand down. I'm sending J7 and J5 to extract you."

I'm not convinced by this time limiting plot device of being extracted. I mean, what? Dragged off the train by his allies?

Jake cursed. Not those bastards.

Fulfilling the criteria a bit.

J2's line went silent. A voice over the intercom said they were approaching the next station. Pillow-Man rocked his head to the music playing in his ears, tugging his backpack close. It was now or never.

"I'll put an end to this," Jake said, more for himself than for J9's benefit. The doors opened. The target scurried out of the doors. His reaction to Jake showed his culpability. Jake pushed his way out, ignoring angry voices.

You mean J2 here. Scurried seems a little cowardly and negative, given how bold Pillow-Man has been so far. Culpability part seems unnecessary given what we've already established.

Jake's cellphone went off in his pocket.

"You good-for-nothing!" A sharp, female voice said over the phone's speakers. J2's voice modulator was turned off. He--she was using another feed? "How many times have I told you not to leave the house?"

At this point I thought this story had descended into some kind of hallucination, like a crazy schizophrenic living out his paranoid fantasies. The pill thing only reinforced this belief.

"I don't understand, J2. And changing your voice won't make me change my mind."

Why would it?

"Shut up and listen to me, Jake! The pills, when did you last--"

No, no STAY ON TARGET STAY ON TARGET.

Yeah, I know this is meant to be in the middle of a pre-existing story, but this seems like such a throwaway line when it changes a whole lot. I question the point of it.

He turned the phone off. Pillow-Man went through a turnstile, walking away with a spring in his step. When Jake's turn came, it was locked into place. Angry voices stabbed him in the back. The target could hack even hardware on the fly. He took a step back and leaped over the obstacle.

It was locked into place. Ah yes, like every turnstile ever. Angry voices line, repetition from earlier as well as really weird. Followed by non-sequitur about hacking that would have fit in earlier.

That was when the guards started running after him. He dodged one with a feint, and kicked the second guard's shin, clearing his path. He spotted the target walking down the stairs, his backpack's weight slowing him down.

No need to start the line with a prevaricating 'That was when'. General action rule is as little of that as possible. Must be one hell of a laptop? Why is the target only walking?

"J2, listen to me. I'll capture the target. Call off J7 and J5!"

"If you have him when they reach you, I'll make your punishment less severe," J2 replied. His voice was male again, with no acknowledgment of his earlier outburst.

Shouldn't it be her voice now we've established real gender?

Jake smiled. "Watch me."

OK, so the story is OK. There's been better, there's been worse. It roughly meets the prompt of being a middle chapter. Your technical skills are mostly proficient.

Things to work on:

Your scene setting I felt was weak. I hardly ever felt rooted, it felt like the whole story was occurring quite abstractly from any actual place. Don't neglect sounds, sights, and general tactile feedback. Even a small amount goes a long way.

Your flow was erratic. Lines should roughly be following one another unless you have a good reason for that not to be the case. This is especially true for writing action. Don't spend time having internal rhetorical questions during a chase scene unless they are relevant.

p.s The more I read over the bit where the woman comes onto the feed and starts talking about leaving the house, the more confused I get. What actually is happening?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

This story is at a stage where I don't think a line-edit will do much, and I don't mean that in a negative sense. I didn't notice any glaring errors or actual difficulty in expression, so no worries on that front.

Does it meet the target you were aiming for? Does it resonate with me about the human condition, is it poignant? Well yes, it is poignant and I reckon it portrays at least some part of the human condition as I understand it. If I was judging it in TD, I would say it hit the prompt.

Now I'm done with praise, because nobody should really be coming here for that. On a micro level, your story is fine but I have problems with it on a macro level.

The actual poignancy of that story really occurs towards the end, in what is the obvious affection between siblings being torn apart by religion. The hand twitching is a very cute touch. Other than that though, the character of Jessie does not cut a very sympathetic pair of eyes to be looking through. The character seems impassive and uncaring until the very end, an incredibly passive victim of circumstance - to the point that it undermines the sadness of the circumstances.

More macro problems, I feel the first half of the story is meandering and fluffy. We get too much wind up about Les preparing to leave and too much on the consequences that happen in the house without her around. The thing about the pictures is really the key to this story for me, with far greater impact than details like Gramps giving fire and brimstone about Eve and deleting blogposts. To me, that stuff only waters down the overall impression. I don't think the right strategy was quantity but quality. Focusing on the excision of Les from their family, I think you can do better than a blog. Was that a case of following a real-life story too closely? Because it feels like it.

To summarise, to kick this story up a notch, the narrator has to become more actively involved in the tragedy and demonstrate the conflict they have between loving their siblings and being loyal to their family. There needs to be more focus on one or two things that happen after Les leaves, and less time spent having the story establish itself.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Thank you for the critique.

Answer: He may or may not be what he thinks he is. The world may or may not be in danger. If that wasn't clear then I have failed as a writer.

Yeah, OK, I mean I did veer towards that in the text like I say - but it felt like the view was immediately undermined by there being no consequences to the sudden jarring change of reality. And since the original plotline recovers so quickly, as a reader I am forced to doubt my own conclusions and make a back-step.

While I think the whole 'off his meds' thing could probably make for a more interesting story overall and I realise you were trying to make the story deeper under the surface, it feels too clunky in comparison with the rest of what you've got. If you removed the whole part of it, I don't really see the story losing much while keeping it dilutes the focus.

I would say it's comparable to the protagonist J9 receiving a phone call saying "JIM, THE TESTS CAME BACK. YOU'VE GOT BRAIN CANCER." Then J9 just says, essentially, gently caress off I'm busy and continues what he's doing. It's a form of adding artificial depth and detracts from the piece as one cohesive storyline.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

inthesto posted:

Executioner (790 words)

By Masen's best estimates, the execution was today. The jailers who delivered her food were a chatty pair, unaware that she understood most of their words. Assuming they fed her once a day, then this was time to do or die. In her windowless stone cell, reliving her favorite memory served as her clock. Thirty repeats and it was time for another meal.

The dream always started with dust clouding her eyes. Instinct dictated that she shield her face, but Masen and Vanessa had finally snuck into the gladiatorial games that year. She could suffer an irritated eye if it meant witnessing every second. Her toes balanced atop the crate, high enough for her to peek over the storm drain. Warm in her grasp, the iron bars framed every stolen glimpse of the fighters.

Sir Kendall had pinned Major Vashnu against an arena wall with a woven pattern of halberd strikes. Every attack bounced the major's back against sandstone again, a cloud of sand whirling against the gladiators. When Vashnu's fist punched through an opening in the knight's offense, knocking the armed aristocrat into the air, the audience came alive. The stowaway sisters squealed along with the crowd's erupting cheers. Vashnu sprinted after his opponent, a blur too fast for the girls' untrained eyes. In moments, the general's boot pinned Sir Kendall to the ground. His fists stretched into the air and the crescendo of the crowd's voice signaled his victory.

“See?” Vanessa yanked Masen aside, shaking her by the shoulders. “See? I told you imperial soldiers are the strongest!” Masen barely understood these games, but she knew that she and her sister were imperials too. That gave her a warm glow in her gut. “I'm gonna join the academy and be strong just like them!” A chorus of horns sang, indicating the start of the next match. The sisters forgot about each other in an instant, compelled to spectate the next fight.

Metal scraped against metal and the grinding of the rusted lock served as Masen's wake up call. Her shins, bony from so many weeks of starvation, hit the stone. Only a shard of splintered wood guarded her against the cell floor. Bowing her head, she began to chant her prayer. A boot heavy enough to send the gravel around her shaking meant the brute entered first. Even in Masen's prime, the brute would have been half again her size. She dared not imagine the difference now. The shrew was second in the cell, always chuckling about something that only he found humorous. These past few days, the jailers would taunt her before throwing her the scraps, certain she couldn't fight back in her state. They had no jeers today, as sound of her voice mumbling silenced them in an instant.

The sound of the shrew's sword pulling from its scabbard, that was her signal. Into the air. Close the gap. Keep the height advantage. One hand went to the sword's pommel, shoving the weapon back into its sheath while she kicked the wood sliver into her other hand. Flicking her eyes to the side, she checked her flank. The brute still fumbled with his club, fingers tangled in undoing the loop. Just enough time. Even the numbers. Masen drove the jagged point of her makeshift shiv into the shrew's eye. A jet of blood warmed her skin. One target down.

Masen whirled, commandeering the sword for herself. She ducked low and aimed high. The cudgel left a breeze as it caught the air above her head. She answered with a clean slice across the brute's flopping gut. Easier than carving raw meat. Flipping back to a low crouch, the sight of a fat bully trying to hold in his intestines met her eyes. One spin of the blade in her grip and she lunged. The brute's throat stood no chance.

Confirm the kill. The brute twitched as she slammed the blade down, cleaving his skull in two. Screams echoing off the stone flooded Masen's ears. The shrew continued to roll and flop around on the ground. Waiting for him to face up, she stomped a bony heel onto his chest. He may have been healthy and fed, but Masen knew by now that physical strength was nothing before conviction. Her victim convulsed, only driving the stake deeper into his socket, eliciting another scream. That warm glow returned to her body, and with age Masen could finally give it a name. Satisfaction, victory, and pride, all at once. One more time, she repeated her prayer. None of her goddesses could hear it, but maybe her long dead sister could.

“You were right. Imperial soldiers are the strongest.” Lieutenant Masen hacked off her jailer's head.

I am aware and deeply torn up by the fact that the second and third paragraphs completely destroy the flow of the narrative, but I can't figure out how to fit in that precedent anywhere else.

I probably shouldn't be critting in this thread, but whatever. Procrastination rules.

I'm on a timed internet thing in a coffee shop, so I'm just gonna give you some general comments and thoughts:

- Macro-wise, you say you're deeply torn up about the narrative break to play out a memory. I don't think you should worry about it too much, in fact, I rather enjoyed the lurch back into reality suddenly cutting into the play-by-play. You could italicise it if you wanted to make it obvious separate, but I don't see a pressing need to.

- As an introduction to a story, it is a bit played out (fantasy prison break) but that doesn't matter a great deal, so long as it goes interesting places soon after. It's fast paced and exciting and already establishes a bit of character background and interest (dead sister) and (Imperial soldier). Elder Scrolls anyone? ahem

- Most of it is combat description. You aren't too bad at that, I guess. You don't drop the ball too often, which a lot of fantasy writing goons really do. If anything, it impressed me with its brutality. But I worry that, and don't be offended, that because most amateur fantasy fiction tends not to write unsympathetic protagonists (especially female protagonists), that perhaps it wasn't entirely intentional. I mean, you establish some kind of Laurel and Hardy style gaolers and then massacre them pretty viciously. Shiv in the eye, stamping on said shiv, head chopping beyond the call of duty. I mean yeah, these aren't nice people, but there isn't enough space or you don't use it well enough to establish them as entirely deserving in my opinion. We get a line about them taunting her I suppose, but that's as far as it goes. Feel free to ignore this if you're establishing your protagonist (if it is) as vaguely amoral or callous, because you succeeded and that is way more interesting than your standard fare.

- Aaaand micro-wise. Sadly, there is a whole lot for me to complain about here. I'm not even sure where to start.

- Your non-combat writing is inelegant and awkward. You take 10 words when 5 will do, almost as a rule. I don't need to cherry pick here; take your second paragraph: "instinct dictated that she shield her face", "she could suffer an irritated eye", "iron bars framed every stolen glimpse". This manner of writing comes across as very formal and stilted. Sometimes it is OK; I can imagine that final line fitting in alright, but when it happens again and again it undermines your flow. I'm sitting here thinking of what kind of mini-rules you should keep in mind to try and avoid this type of writing. You are most guilty of it when you are being roundabout or too precise. There is no need to tell us unnecessary details or beat around the bush. The shrew, who is always chuckling to himself "at something that only he finds humorous" - well, no poo poo I guess? Only accept further clauses on suffrance: only if there is something that doesn't make sense without it. Her shins "bony from so many weeks of starvation". Yeah, the reader can understand given the previous mentions of scraps of food, one meal per day etc, that she is starved. Her bony shins is plenty.

- Still, no need to cry about that. I've seen much worse, and if you don't write much it is understandable. What I perceive as the greatest weakness of this piece is a serious issue with lack of sense. Really, given the type of fiction that it is, I should be finding none to almost no points where I don't understand something. For your 800 word piece, there are far more than that. Stuff like:

Reliving a memory thirty times on repeat is ridiculous and incredibly weird.

"Only a shard of splintered wood guarded her against the cell floor" - what?

"They had no jeers today, as sound of her voice mumbling silenced them in an instant." - what?

Sudden introduction of gravel to a cell which has been previously illustrated as being bare stone.

"Her shins, bony from so many weeks of starvation, hit the stone" - why? I can't visualise what is happening.

"she kicked the wood sliver into her other hand"- eh?

"Her victim convulsed, only driving the stake deeper into his socket" - ?!?

edit: there's more but time running out, will finish this later

Jeza fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 20, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I like it. I can see Sitting's point about a passive narrator, and maybe you flirt with that a little too closely in this case, but I mean, this is a diffident character so I think it can be forgiven. I'm not convinced by the case that it must be more emotionally direct and less neutral, but then again that my be own personal preference leaking in.

I understand Anathema's point about maybe a little too much investment without pay-off at the start, but I believe that the establishment of Claire as a figure towards whom the narrator is envious, financially speaking, is important for the culmination of the piece - what I took to be the narrator considering being an escort once again. This might change should you choose to extend the piece and pull the floorboards from under this.

As to your question; the only narrative jump that jars is the one that introduces 'Collin' from nowhere. It is apropos of nothing and, actually, the whole intro of the character somewhat spoiled the ending of the piece for me. I was reeling, trying to work out whether this Collin was someone new or the old man from the restaurant. This is compounded because it seems like Collin owes her money, and I got caught thinking how stupid it would be for an escort to get paid via credit card. I worked it out soon enough, but the immersion was already broken.

As to any critique on my own account, I felt the sex scene to be a little bit...off? The use of the term 'thing' I am a little iffy with, and given the importance/anticipation of it earlier in the story, it seems rushed like you were uncomfortable writing it. It could stand to be longer and more fleshed out. I know you might think this might threaten the narrative distance, but I'm sure you could pull out a sentence or two more and see what it looks like.

Not much else to say. There were a few niggling details that I don't consider worth pointing out because I'm sure other people would disagree in equal measure. I didn't feel convinced by the hospital talk, the point of the character of Alice, the use of the phrase "...I'm not that strong".

Overall I think a lot of things could be improved/fixed by filling in gaps and writing more. Sadly I don't think this comment will help you get over your own feelings regarding your own potential for writing flash fiction.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Kwasimodick posted:

dangling from his groin was a tiny, golden bean, with a street value of approximately 1 million US dollars.

:catstare:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

inthesto posted:

I can't tell if this is the world's worst metaphor for discovering your sexuality or a post-modern retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk.

All I know is I want to find out what happens next. The scene I'm currently envisaging is that the character's Dad been mean to him and/or repeatedly molested him, and, in order to repent for his sins to his son, he pretends to be re-enacting another bath-time rape scenario when in fact he has somehow hung a million dollars worth of hyper-dense gold bullion in the shape of a bean from his pubic hair as a kind of make-up gift to discover when he leans in to give steamy father-son head.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Gau posted:

Winter 1939

When I was a child, I had my own kingdom. My grandparents owned some acreage on Higgins Lane, just a few miles from my home. A large, rushing creek cut through the property, isolating a tiny corner against a barbed-wire fence. where trees and brush grew like a wall all around of the creek, hiding the land it behind from prying eyes in the house. The only way in was through an arched gap in the trees where a small, aging wooden bridge crossed the creek.

Took the liberty of fiddling with your constructions here. Mostly just to improve (in my opinion) the flow, and to help a reader visualise more clearly the land. Also hopefully make it seem a little more mystical.

This tiny triangle of land - barely a half-acre - was mine. Here, I could be myself, alone. Not sure about this line. A place where somebody can be themselves is pretty mundane. I think playing the secretive, or the land-owner angle would work better. Not alone like with a book, curled up in my room. Books draw you inward; each page grows inside your imagination, like a plant in the soil of your mind. Stand-alone, this pair of sentences are a mistake. You set up a comparison between being outside in the triangle and reading a book, but only say what it is like to read a book (and at length to boot). Either you cut both of them entirely, or you add what about the triangle draws you outward.

A lot to say about only 4 sentences, eh? I'm not sure about the specificity of half-acre either but I chucked in something making it clear that it is very small.

Behind the those trees and across the that bridge, I could let loose upon the world the garden of my imagination. Ah, here is our comparison pay-off. You've put it in the next paragraph, which you shouldn't do because they are natural mini-scene breaks. And looking at it, it doesn't really correctly fit the sentence structure about either. It poured out and filled that space like an overflowing sink. I don't like how you turn the whole garden metaphor suddenly into something about sinks. Also I feel by definition an overflowing sink is a poor example of something filling, rather it is overfilling. In one corner, an alien world waited to be explored; in another, a homestead stood against the wilderness You can do better than this second one.; in the third a squad of brave soldiers needed a leader.

This para should be reworked into the one above.

My imagination could expand into other places, of course, but only little bits at a time. My bunk bed was a spaceship in unexplored territory, or the farm buildings a country town to defend from bandits and raiders, but those belonged to other people, carried other spirits. The only things across the creek were me, and those things I brought with me across the bridge.

This serves no purpose as far as I can see.

In that place, there were no clocks; only the tyrannical Really? sun could call me back. While the sun stayed in the sky, it was my world. Another unpaid off sentence, making the next seem half like a non-sequitur. At night, I imagined that the monsters came out, all of my nightmares come to life Goosebumps, anyone?. After each long day, as the sun threatened to set was setting behind the mountains, I reticently reluctantly shuffled inside. My fear of the monsters always won over conquered my curiosity - but some evenings just barely.

This paragraph is all about reinforcing the footloose and fancy free, and naive, nature of childhood - no clocks, monsters etc. The prose is fairly clunky and I've struck down a few things. Could stand for a rewrite. I don't see the need to frame the sun in such hostile language either, it is the kid's ally not cruel overlord.

From time to time, my grandfather would appear on the other side of the bridge, to check that I was safe or call me back for meals. In my child's Your kid? Ambiguous, just rewrite different. mind, I knew that he couldn't cross that bridge. No one could, except me.

Purposeful or not, foreshadowing occurs here.

Each season, the bridge fell apart bit by bit. Boards dropped out, and those that didn't would rot from winters and the perpetual moisture of the creek. One year I knocked a hornet's nest into the rushing water - I was rather proud of that While I have no problem with the line, it completely destroys the flow of this paragraph. It comes apropos of nothing and makes the next line seem the same way.. When I was twelve, my grandmother forbade me from crossing any more. I took one last look through the archway of foliage, and turned away. The doors of my kingdom were sealed shut.

-

In my twentieth year Not in my post 1920 works of fiction thanks, my grandmother died. The house was full of family - aunts, uncles, cousins, and beyond, all pressing against the walls, inflating the house with their grief it burns IT BURNS. . I walked along the creek in the January chill, my feet crunching in the snow Include detail about being squeezed out the house/needing some air?. A rush of nostalgia stopped me where the brush and trees parted. The skeletal remains of the bridge were still there: two supports, thin with age ...does wood get thin with age? and weather, and a handful of crossmembers plank? slat? beam?. All but one of the boards were askance relevant?; snow and frost covered the grey wood.

I looked up; through the brush, I glimpsed a girl dancing in a circle in the snow. She wore a simple flannel dress, a thick wool coat, and leather boots just a bit too big. The girl's short brown curls bounced, framing her blissful smile and bright eyes. I felt I recognized her, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Memories of my years behind the creek rushed back careful of image repetition, nostalgia rushed back already. The last time I had seen it, the bridge had looked intimidating, impossible. As an adult, I could see a way across. The girl fell into the snow, her arms and feet moving back and forth. Giggles of delight carried across the water.

This might seem pernickety but it feels like you have your adult/child mentalities topsy-turvy. A kid (who is lighter, less risk averse, more optimistic) is way more likely to want to try and cross a rotting bridge over an icy creek than an adult. Adult 'logic' doesn't somehow allow you to calculate the most perfect route across something either.

I placed one foot on the support, then another on a skewed, rotted board. Another step, onto the straight board our mystery straight board makes its long-awaited debut, and then one more brought me halfway across. I saw the girl get up and bounce away behind the brush. I wondered why she hadn’t seen me yet.

With a crack like a gunshot, the support gave way. I fell sideways, the ice breaking like thin glass We have no detail as to how deep or not deep the creek is, adding to confusion here. Add in the actual fall so it becomes clearer.. My skin screamed :catstare: as I sank into the water, my muscles paralyzed by shock and cold. Breathing didn't even enter into my mind until it was too late Too late meaning in everybody's mind but yours dead I'm afraid. My entire body was numb, and my mind and soul were was following closely behind.

Suddenly, I launched upward, out of the ice and into the brush on the shore. My eyes snapped open, blurred by the icy water. Knees deep in the creek was my grandfather. His face was stern ?; he said nothing as he helped me up and guided me back into the house. As we walked back, he turned and looked back beyond the creek and smiled.

This is not good at all. The random deus ex machina grandfather, his apparent inhuman strength allowing him to launch waterlogged teenagers like rockets while also knee deep in freezing water, then his incomprehensible attitude to the situation. The matter of factness of the para cripples this, the dramatic climax of the piece.

-

A few summers later, I traveled back to the house. My grandfather and I spent a month in hip waders, rebuilding the bridge - properly, so it would last a decade or more. From their kitchen, I watch my children run across that bridge Jesus, how many summers is a few to you? The kids must be at least 5-6+ right? And protag didn't have them before when he was 20?. From time to time, I check on them, poking my head through the brush and calling their names. In my adult mind, I know that I can no longer cross that bridge. It's their kingdom now.

Aw yeah circularity baby. Tense switch in this para too. Could just switch it to historical present I guess?

Once I know that they are safe, I head back to the house. In the hallway, there's an old, fading photograph of a smiling little girl in a flannel dress and boots that are a bit too big. On the back, in perfect cursive, is written my grandmother's name and "Winter 1939."

Sooooo, we get to understand that the mystery girl was a phantasm of his dead grandmother. Maybe his grandparents were childhood sweethearts who played together in the triangle-o-mystery. Still doesn't explain why you drop Winter 1939 like it was some shocking bombshell, especially given it is the name of the whole piece.

I see when I click preview post that a bunch of stuff has already been posted. Ah well. Three main things need work in this piece: the ending, your more stilted turns of phrase and most importantly your 'flow'. I found way too many instances of sentences that don't follow each other well at all, and a few times where you set up a construction that demands satisfaction which you fail to give.

What I mean by that is writing a sentences like "Billy was a good kid - he helped old ladies cross roads and volunteered at his local soup kitchen, but he also had a dark side. He was walking down 5th Avenue to see Jenny..."

Can you see the double whammy in effect here? Not only does the sentence follow on poorly by nature, but a reader expects some exposition on what his dark side is. The bait is laid but there is no trap. Here is one from your piece:

"While the sun stayed in the sky, it was my world. At night, I imagined that the monsters came out..."

A reader naturally expects some reference to it no longer being his world. And you do that, sort of, but it parses badly. An example of what I mean:

While the sun stayed in the sky, it was my world. But when the sun set, it wasn't mine anymore. Monsters rose up from the ground and took over, forcing me to retreat to..."

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

In Hell (500 words)

“This isn’t Social Darwinism- I do not mean to imply that this process is natural or right. But it’s happening. Bionics, genetic engineering, and assistive surgeries are creating two divergent species, and robotics are rendering the lower half obsolete. We must take great caution, moving into the new age. In making gods of some of us, we will make beasts of all of us.”

This opening quote is too hammy. IT MAKES US GODS AND BEASTS etc. It would have more impact and seem more believable if it was written in the style of a reflective academic - I do think you aimed for that, but I think you miss the mark. Toning it down is for the best. I also think the very first sentence makes very little sense in English, no matter how I spin it in my head. "It isn't unnatural selection, but I'm not saying it's natural selection or a good thing." So what are you saying? Sorry if I'm being dense here.

Dr. Janus Reed, A Divergent Humanity

Dr "Janus"? Don't do this to me.

“THE oval office OF HELL”. That’s how the graffiti ringing the tunnel entrance read. What had once been an archway had collapsed in on itself, leaving only a small passage open near the floor. “It never ceases to amaze me how a fat gently caress like you can fit through all these little spaces,” called James.

Strong attention grabbing first line, barring the quote. Only quibble is how you set the scene as a tunnel entrance, then make it into a collapsed archway. I can't get a good mental image going of where it is set - what kind of archway? Where are they? Only a little bit more is needed, but I think it is needed.

“Keep the flashlight steady,” answered Alan. He slid along on his back, pulling himself forward by gripping a piece of rebar. On the other side, the archway opened up into a foyer with a stairwell. A terrible smell filled the room. Alan set his own flashlight on the floor and switched it on. “Start coming through. I’m gonna take a look downstairs.”

The smell intensified as he descended the staircase. The thick layer of dust covering the concrete floor had become gummy, and it stuck to his boots. Alan used his cellphone to light the room, and the source of the smell was made apparent.

Gummy dust? I dunno. Also you have a continuity error here in which he has a flashlight in the previous paragraph, and then is lighting the room with his phone.

Sitting slumped against the wall opposite the stairwell was the body of a Labor Solidarity Army soldier. Alan took a photo of the corpse with his camera. The burgundy jacket of the LSA was torn open from gunfire, and the wall behind her was spattered with dried blood from the same. A leather strap rested on her left shoulder; it had probably secured a submachine gun once, but that had been long since looted.

Your instincts to instantly shorten Labor Solidarity Army soldier are totally correct, but I would go further. I find it is always better to start it off with an off-hand slang/acronym and then drop the full name later on. Always seems more convincing that way.

From the same what? Person or gunfire?

No need to be coy. "Where a submachine would have/should have hung."

Alan knelt down in front of her and began to feel out her pockets. There wasn’t much left worth taking- a thumb drive, an empty cigarette carton- but in the left front pocket, he found what he was looking for: two unspent 9mm bullets.

Tough life when an empty carton of cigs is 'worth taking'. Not sure why this soldier keeps two bullets in a front pocket either, seems just odd to me. Some kind of ammo pouch perhaps?

Several weeks prior, Alan had found a handgun in a trash can. He wasn’t a violent person by nature, but he took some comfort from keeping it in his apartment. No matter how badly things went, no matter what happened, he at least had that last line of defense. He couldn’t imagine what kind of situation might require it, but he was glad to have it.

Although nothing is grievously wrong with this at all, your exposition at the start allows me to know that this falls far short of what you wanted. Trying to get inside the 'psychic space' of a suicidal friend by invoking the ghost of Hunter S. Thompson school of thought that suicide is a last line of defence. Is that right? Because reading this without knowing that just makes me think that Alan is in a dangerous line of work and likes the reassurance that he could defend himself against an attacker.

Alan returned to the foyer, where James was waiting for him. “There’s a body down there. Mark down that we’ll need a hazmat to come get it.”

“Anything good?”

“No.”

“loving liar.”

“Did you look around the first floor?”

“Nothing unusual. Broken windows, busted doors, no real structural damage.” James’ golden eyes flashed; they’d adjusted to the light, now. With his angular features and elongated canines, he might’ve cut a striking image, but because it was such a common look for young men, the effect was diminished.

Heavyhanded.

Overall this is fairly solid, and what I've written above is most of my criticism. The weakest part of this piece is that it is hard for me to feel 'grounded', which is almost certainly a consequence of it being only 500 words long. But if I was taking it as a standalone piece - the scene setting is lacking in a bad way because I can't visually pin the action down other than the crumbs I get from graffiti and rebar. oval office OF HELL tunnel entrance just keeps making me think of defaced circus tunnel thing as well. I'm weird.

On top of setting there is also a lack of grounding for the characters too. We get a little repartee of a two partners, but the tone wavers between scavenger/police officer too heavily. Of course, nothing stops those things being mutually exclusive but I find it incredibly unlikely that police officers wouldn't already have guns of their own? The whole handgun in the trash leading to suddenly very deep water introspection on suicide is also from left-field and too early, given the reader knows next to nothing about Alan. Too intimate, too quickly.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

I have a short story that I'm working on. My first chapter is nearly at the point of me not being able to find any flaws or things I don't like, so it's almost ready to post in here. I haven't posted any critiques though, so it wouldn't be fair for me to ask for feedback without giving some first, but there are no recent posts for me to even critique (other than the one by TheRamblingSoul, but I would just be repeating what has already been said).

Should I wait for new posts? Or it would be acceptable for me to request feedback, and reciprocate in the future?

Just tryin' to follow the rules. :ohdear:

It's fine.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Most acceptable contraction of "He had had" would just be "He'd had". Very little reason not to use the latter.

Also going to put it out there that there is nothing wrong with the opening sentence. To find it jarring - that's either your quirk as a reader, or a symptom of critiquing the story piece by piece rather than as a whole. A lot of things open in media res and open with a reference to something which as reader we aren't aware of, in the knowledge that the gap will be filled soon afterwards.

God Over Djinn, you say your reaction is wait, what bastard? - well, that is the intended reaction.

Also, I'm no linguist, but I just spent like an hour reading up on this. Feel free to tell me if this makes sense: in the opening sentence, "the bastard" is acting as an 'R-expression' while later on in the story "the motherfucker" is pronomial. So in this story, "the bastard" could be replaced with something like "Mark", while "the motherfucker" is just "he". So, like, "the bastard" contains a noun that is known to the narrator but not yet to the reader.

side note: linguistics is hard

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

jeffLebowski posted:

And here it is, presented for the thread's summary brutalization:

Foster Ettinger will be dead inside a week. He trudges west through the endless pinewood expanse of rural Missouri, tugging at the reins of a gunshot horse and peering over his shoulder with growing desperation I find this clause is a bit too long-winded. Maybe cut everything after horse and 'tugging'. That way you can keep up the punchy nature of this opening para.. Inside his saddlebag rests a fortune in stolen cash. Behind him rides the host of furious men he stole it from.

He is no stranger to [the ways of the gun or the trail] Can be phrased better than this, surely.. He sees to it that the chase is long and bloody. But his pursuers are relentless. And when Foster hears their leader threaten to massacre the townspeople who have unknowingly offered him shelter, he makes a decision that will see the name of a the middling middling? cut I think train robber enshrined forever in local myth. Combine these two sentences with 'and' perhaps better? The money he carried stole? that day is never seen again something like "never to be seen again" and cut "that day"? .

Thirty years later, his son Isaac drifts through the underbelly of prohibition-era St. Louis a broken man. Dismissed from his position as a detective, and embittered by a lifetime of comparisons to a legend he’s never met, Isaac leads a solitary existence hunting bounties for anyone with the cash to pay. His tracking skills are always in demand—as is his penchant for not asking questions. Can you really in demand for a penchant? Sounds weird to me.

So when he receives a cryptic but well-paying job offer from the now-aging criminal who killed his father, Isaac thinks nothing of taking the payday and getting straight to work. I haven't read your story but it seems odd he takes this so casually, esp. if he's so bothered about his dad But soon he finds himself in an unforeseen confrontation with his quarry that will force him to reconsider his mercenary ways—and the past he’s spent his entire life trying to escape.

His father’s long-lost money has resurfaced. The lives of innocents are once again imperiled by the greed it rouses in the hearts of violent men a bit too melodramatic?. And Isaac will have to reckon with an army of hired guns, damning revelations of the past phrasing? from, maybe?, and his own fatalistic nature if he is going to save them.

Complete at 119,000 words, THE SILENT FUNERAL is a historical crime novel that intertwines the tale of an unlikely folk hero with that of the son he would never know—two desperate men parted by the span of decades, forced to flee the wrath of the same ruthless murderer, and unknowingly bound by the grim truth that for men like them, redemption is rarely bought with anything but blood.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I could probably have formatted that less confusingly. Nevertheless, maybe some useful words in there. I think it mostly looks good though.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Palisader posted:

The Move
word count: 967

When I was eleven years old, I lived in Hong Kong.

Some people might take the time here to tell you that this opening sentence is relatively drab and boring. I wouldn't go so far, but what it does do is set up an expectation of a very clipped and matter-of-fact style. We'll see if you follow through.

In general, this isn't necessarily an exciting thing. Something close to 7 million people live in Hong Kong right now. Fly to Macau and proudly announce that you live in Hong Kong and you'll get a funny look and a gentle reminder of where the aquarium is.

This paragraph is poor in a number of respects. First off, you double-qualify your first statement "in general", "isn't necessarily" which makes it poor English, notwithstanding it being pretty asinine. The next few sentences are redundant and probably worth cutting. I don't understand the aquarium joke either.

Ask yourself what purpose this little intro serves. To establish that Hong Kong is, or to you at the time, an exciting place to live. Which you proceed to establish for a second time in the next paragraph. Cut it all.

At any rate, moving to Hong Kong was exciting Starts with another qualifier "at any rate", needlessly weakening your point.. Up to "until" would be the word I would use here that point I was, without a doubt Why even put this clause in? You are telling us the facts, we are taking you at face value. Stop qualifying your own statements., a tiny little southern girl living in a series of tiny little southern towns. Cute repetition. Worrying ambiguity due to use of present-past tense, where you are living in multiple towns at once. I didn't have a tiny little southern accent Aaaand milked it. to go along with it, but the same couldn't be said of my worldview. I lived in America This is redundant information, because you set up the previous sentence to imply that you have a little southern girl's worldview. Plus it kills flow. Let's leave flow for now.. To me, other countries were a bit like fairy tales—they existed, but possibly possibly only? STOP THIS MADNESS only in theory. To this day, I describe my move to Hong Kong as the best time of my life Another dicey use of English here. Literally, this sentence reads that the process of moving was the best of your life. You don't mean that, and I know it, but that is what it says. Something like: "To this day I still look on those days I spent in Hong Kong as the best in my life." Works better right?. Since then I've married and had a child, so it's not entirely true, I suppose. What is this instant backpedalling? Why do this? Don't set up your story then knock it down. But it was definitely the best thing that could have possibly happened to me at the time. Well, gee, maybe it was the second or third best, I dunno... NOPE. This stuff is anathema to writing. Don't hash out your inner thoughts in a piece that is telling a story about YOUR past. You tell US how it was, and still affects you. If I sit down to tell a story to somebody, I don't hem and haw and disagree with things I just said. It kills your pacing, and it makes the narrative far less impactful.

I can't really describe the experience. Try harder. One day I woke up and I was living on an island that you could drive across in one day This would work better if you set up the contradiction more clearly with your previous way of life. "One day it was X, the next Y" Not necessarily like that, but in that vein.. I saw buildings so high that it could rain and tops would stay dry A nice detail.. I saw open-air markets, shouting fishermen selling eels, silent temples, monsoons, and a shop that sold ivory figures of couples in poses from the Kama-Sutra that my mother definitely wouldn't let me inspect too closely. This strays too close to a shopping list. You're evoking feelings and imagery for your reader. "Open air markets" doesn't cut it. The final example of the figure shop breaks the plurality of the list by referring to a singular thing, which is improper in my eyes, and then you make it run on and on by being over-wordy which is also not good.

My mother, far too bored of housework to stay home for long, worked at the school that I attended, being one of the few places that didn't require either of us to know Cantonese. This meant two things—one, that she rode with me on the school bus every morning, a trip that took more than an hour, and two, that I would accompany her on weekends and holidays any time she had to go to the school for work related things. I didn't mind. I loved that school. Hong Kong International School it was called, and to this day I still remember how to say it in Mandarin. Well, that and I can count to 100 and say thank you. I would make the most polite Chinese accountant that there ever was. Pretty cringeworthy, if I'm honest.

This whole paragraph is not story. Not even worth my critiquing it. These are simple biographical details, which was not what the prompt was looking for. I suppose it introduces your mother as a character, but I get the feeling she is not going to come up again.

My best friend at the time was named Amy, and she was from Singapore. Her family had a sign up in their bathroom that was a list of all the things that could get you fined in Singapore. I asked her once if it was all really true. “Oh yes” she said, her eyes going wide “they're very strict there. You can't even buy gum!” I was shocked and horrified. I still wonder if that's true. Every time you chime in with your opinion in the present, you interrupt the story set in the past.

This reads like one of those "Write about yourself" assignments that a seven or eight year old might write. Possibly younger.

Sometimes, on the occasions when my mother would have to visit the school in order to work "on the occasions"? I thought she worked there., Amy would come with me in a concerted attempt to keep both of us out of trouble Doesn't make sense. Keep you out of trouble perhaps? Or is this implying she would also get in trouble if she stayed at home?. We'd occasionally disappear for a while and walk around, which wasn't considered 'getting in trouble'. We did that a lot, and nobody seemed to mind. It was a bit of a small town mentality, only in a city of 7 million people. Apparently crime like that just didn't happen.Crime like what? No reference for "that" anywhere.

On one occasion, we decided to investigate the large hill that stretched out behind the elementary school across the road, since there was a path there and really, why not? Don't use rhetorical questions like this. The path itself was an informal affair, and possibly long-forgotten, mostly overgrown in places Qualifiers! Qualifiers everywhere!. There were signs that it was set up intentionally, at least to a preteen—a log, mostly stripped of branches, placed across a crevice to make a perfect bridge, some brush cut away here and there. We were explorers! Really quite a non-sequitur exclamation. Tone shift from the very clinical description of the path. We took many extremely thought-provoking what? pictures of ourselves posing majestically on the side of a hill, or draped across the aforementioned log.

At first, we were sure we'd find treasure. After a while we became absolutely positive that we'd find treasure, because we had read far too many Nancy Drew books and by golly you don't just have a weather-beaten old path with no treasure! After a longer while we became absolutely convinced that we would, at some point, at least find the top of the hill. It was a very large hill.

"It was a very large hill"? Are you kidding me? Repetition of absolutely is jarring me as well. Would have preferred to see "at least" come before "at some point" as well, to make the meaning clearer.

And then we did. Ta-Daa...? Could have at least given "it was a large hill" some much needed mileage by making out it was a difficult climb or something. We reached the crest just as the sun was beginning to set, and it cast a glow across the whole of the world (below). And there, at the top, right as the path ended completely, was a tiny stone temple, about waist high. And if you bent down, which I did, inside of it you could see a tiny stone Buddha. Someone had placed an incense burner in front of him, and the ashy remains of a stick of incense were still there. The trail wasn't completely abandoned after all. Redundant information. Don't patronise your audience, they can work out that sort of thing.

“Come on,” said Amy “we have to get back.” She turned away from me with a bit of a sigh. There was no treasure, just a stupid stone Buddha.

Technically speaking, you shouldn't be straying from your narrative perspective at this point. We slip, only briefly, into Amy's mind. You should be consistent and just have it designated as your opinion/view on what she thought.

I stayed bent down and stared at him for a moment, the setting sun casting Buddha in a deep shadow. He smiled serenely at me. It was beautiful. Amy shouted at me again, and we left. Too abrupt.

I never went back.

I wonder if you really can't buy gum in Singapore. I wonder if it's still okay for two little girls to wander the streets of Hong Kong alone. I wonder how my life would have been different if I had never gone there. And I wonder if, sitting on top of a lonely hill behind an elementary school, there's still a tiny temple with a tiny Buddha statue, the wafting smoke of incense barely visible against the setting sun.

This is a reflection on the passage of time, and a kind of musing on perhaps the less-innocent times we seem to have today. Most of it is washed away by a flood of trivialities. There isn't really a story here and the writing level is very simplistic. I'd be tempted to chalk it down to getting into the little southern girl mindset if it wasn't so signposted that that was not your intention. In the cold light of day, this piece is like one of those anecdotes that goes nowhere, where somebody strings you along feeding you details only for them to conclude flatly, leaving you kind of confused.

This will probably seem overbearingly negative to you, and I suppose it is. Don't get too depressed about it though, because I think at least a fair few of your problems in this piece come from the fact that it was written almost more for yourself than for any audience which made it sort of inevitable that it would fall flat when presented to an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Starter Wiggin posted:

It’s late. Already you’re gone, your mind is, chemicals swirling around your neurons: kissing them quietly, slowly, seductively.

Punchier without the explication. Don't love the description of swirling and kissing either. I think that can be done better.

You lay back, the couch the perfect height to support your spine as it curls, happy to let your organs settle against the tired vertebrae.

Not in keeping with the tone, kind of gross & weird, bizarrely tangential.

An arm reaches around you. Second-order, it queries to your buzzing ears.

I do not understand the second sentence + buzzing ears is a slip in observational capability from what you are seeing to a more omniscient POV imo

You smile. Yeah, for sure, why not.

I think I’ll kiss you after this one, if that’s alright with you, the arm, its voice asks.

This is where you can cut away from "the arm" and just go with the voice.

Yeah, go for it.

Exhale, inhale the sweet anesthetic, then warmth. It’s gentle, a calm frantic (:catstare:). The arm, its hand, finds its way to your shoulder, your neck, your face.

First sentence a little hammy. Not a good oxymoron.

It asks, Do you know how utterly beautiful you are?

And you don’t, but the arm, that voice, it could persuade you.

There’s more kissing, and your breathing grows heavier with lust.

Nitpicky, but better shown and not told.

The arm says, My bed is more comfortable than the floor. It trails off, an unasked question in its veins.

veins and junk what is this doing here

Yeah. Yes.

It feels the same: you’re numb from the metallic air. But it’s still just as solid, as inviting. The arm came with.

Metallic air? Do you live in a factory? These sentences are a tad nonsense-y

It pulls you to it, warm and steady. Kisses your neck, trails its tongue along your collarbone and whispers to no part of you in particular, So beautiful.

Arm is still personified, so now it has grown a tongue. I just see no need for it, you dig?

Thank you, you answer numb and hungry.

There’s a hand on your spine, caressing those same tired vertebrae, another unspoken question pulsing through it.

Pulsing through what? The tired vertebrae? Also I don't like that.

Sounds of assension, quiet and bursting through the room, they float from your throat and into his.

Woah woah, complete POV shift occurring here. Now the reader is "you", and he has become third person, when before we were in his shoes. That is, unless this is two guys, in which case I had no point of reference to go on for the narrator's gender.

The kisses stray from their target, but no one seems to mind, you or the hand and all its pieces.

The hand causing more trouble again. "All its pieces" is weird.

There’s motion and heat and soft sounds, a chorus of pleasure all together playing the room. Then quiet, and more sweet air.

The arm finds its way back to your shoulder, your tired spine. It’s gentle, and it asks no more questions.

It's nice, but it clearly has an audience of one if you know what I mean. Some parts are flat-out unpoetic, i.e. tired vertebrae, while other parts jar me unnecessarily like the needless personification of the arm. It waxes on the better side of being a bit adolescent. Romantic fluff is not the easiest to do well.

I always treat description one of two ways: Either I play it realistic, in that I want my readers to picture what I'm talking about, or identify through experience. Just a nice landscape painting. Or I go impressionistic, and throw some curveballs, leave a lot implicit and do a lot of fancy literary stuff. Mixing both is difficult and dangerous, because if a reader is expecting to envision rather than "get a feel" for what is happening, weird descriptions like "unasked questions in its veins" (and the repetitive "unspoken question pulsing through it" reads like meaningless word-wankery, especially when you play it po-faced and straight 90% of the time. A reader only gets jarred when something deviates from the norm, so if you set a standard it is best to stick with it (unless you contextualise something as an acid trip, fever dream etc. and yes I am aware this story starts off with drugs but the narrator seems pretty lucid so OK then)

• Locked thread