Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tonsured, I must admit I may not be the best person to critique this - it didn’t really connect with me and I mostly chose yours because it was the most recent text nobody else had already critiqued better than I could.

Tonsured posted:

Outside the morgue a hawk coasted on thermals above highway 80, the pavement in the parking lot was hot, re-radiating sunlight for the sole purpose of blistering my feet. Outside the morgue, a hawk coasted on thermals above highway 80. The pavement in the parking lot was re-radiating sunlight for the sole purpose of blistering my feet.
The she beast with hamhock arms waved me in.
He was dead. Good for him. She? He? Who’s the narrator? I’m confused rather than intrigued
Diet iced tea in hand, I went back outside to soothe my soul with sucralose. It didn't help. Wanted something different, corn syrup was lighter on the mood if a bit heavier on the thighs. The metaphor kinda fails because corn syrup being light is still a metaphor about the drink getting you down, not up (just less so than diet iced tea)
Doug never liked me and the hawk flew away.
In the distance, a mufflerless car called me out, puttering loud, lurching forward at haphazard angles, and spouting incomprehensible profanities. It was Doug, dead Doug coming to gloat. He had won after all, beaten me to it.
Can't I do it? End myself now, end this now, this waiting around, pretending to feel sad for those that have already escaped.?
Why’s the narrator suicidal? Just because all the purple prose is getting him down?
The car slid into me then dissipated as vapor into the air,. Aafter the cloud settled*,* I could see Doug standing before me*,* naked except for a harp.
"You've gotten fat," Doug said.
I said nothing.
"I said, 'You've gotten fat', fat ears."
Even dead Doug was a dick. So is the narrator, actually. All he does is say mean things about people and complain.
"C'mon, say something, or are you too busy being flaccid?"
A younger me would have bleed for that remark, launched a fist to flatten his face and laughed about it. I’m not sure what the narrator is (not) angry about. This is nothing anybody would trade blows over. I was soft then, easily bruised.Strange image when you’re saying he was more fightey? I am different now, my ego is calloused, hardened from years of failure. "There was a hawk here," I offered.
"Oh? A big one? With wings?" Doug grinned and pantomimed a flap.
"Flying on the thermals."
"Ha! What a laugh, I'm dead and you go bird watching. Where's the respect?"
"Go to hell."
"Been there, done that. Better places in this universe*,* Tom, brighter places, have all of eternity for cold lightless chasms. Places with flowers, birds*,* bees and sun. That's where I'm goin' now."
"Served your time*,* did you?"
"Yeah. A life sentence. On this poo poo heap," Doug said gesturing around him. "Compared to this*,* Hell is rosy, though it ain't got no roses."
"So what's the big guy like?"
"Hmm?"
I pointed up.
Doug laughed. "You're too fat. He likes attractive believers, models and actors mostly."
"That so?"
"Yeah, rest get sent to purgatory 'till they buff up. Maybe get new faces."
"New faces?"
"'Thou shalt have impeccable bone structure,' is his 11th commandment."
"So that's where I'd go? If I went through with it?"
"'No fatties,' 12th commandment*.*"
"I thought he loved all his children."
"He created us in his image, obesity is sacrilegious."
"You saying I shouldn't do it, then? I have to keep on living?"
"At least till you've buffed up. Gotten a few surgeries, pectoral implants, Botox, maybe widen your eyes."
"I'm okay with how I look."
"Yeah, but HE isn't. Lose weight, better yourself, become strong and attractive. Then you can compare yourself to weaker, lesser people and feel satisfied and in control. The meaning of existence is moments of fleeting vanity, thank God."
Doug flew into the sky and left me to clean my thoughts.
Trashed morality. Burned away inner character and stomped on the ashes of experience. Disregarded justice. Embraced vanity, hedonism and improvement of self over the needs of others.
And life was easy.
I don’t see the point. It’s a bit sacrilegious in tone, and the narrator, God and Doug seem to agree that fat people are gross - that’s where I see the heart of it; trash-talking fat people and edgy blasphemy. I didn’t laugh, it was hard to read due to all of the flowers, I have no idea who any of the characters are - Doug and the narrator seem pretty much alike - there is one isolated paragraph where narrator tells me he’s suicidal, but I don’t get why (I don’t take for granted that life sucks), and it’s never mentioned again. The last two paragraphs seem about as random and pointless as the woman whose only characteristic and purpose is being fat. The language also feels forced and try-hard to me.
Also, my English probably isn’t perfect, but I think you missed a lot of commas.
I’m sorry if this doesn’t help you much. I just don’t see the point of it. Maybe it just wasn’t for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One problem I see is that it's very incongruent. You're giving him all these faux-colloquialisms, yet he's also using an at times very complex sentence structure and words like "embellishment" and "demon".
I also think the story-in-a-story isn't doing you any favours, especially not with all-direct speech. Fundamentally, the reader'll just want to know what's happening or what has happened, and all the tricks you're using to give the guy some earth and bring him down to it mostly stand in the way.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So now that the mood is all cozy ...
This is a snippet of something that'll hopefully turn out vaguely Coen-esque. Please tell me what's the main things I have to work on? My native language isn't English, which isn't meant as an excuse but simply so you know that telling me my main problem is not being a native speaker would be okay.

Nobody hears as much awful guitar playing as a guitar teacher, nobody meets as many crazy people as a shrink. Tyler’s was the only place in town to see worse dancing than the school gym during prom. Sometimes, when the last student had left, Ms. Tyler and the night-class instructor would impersonate a beginner displaying a unique, unknown form of talentlessness, such as this newcomer insisting on always wearing cargo pants and sandals who somehow managed to make his Hustle and Waltz look exactly alike, dancing either to a strange three-and-a-half-to-four non-rhythm that awoke in Ms. Tyler an urge to smash in his knees with a bottle of champagne.
“I think they’re just checking what we’ll put up with, you know?”, Joseph said after an impressive performance with his left leg dancing in 3/4 and his right one in 4/4. “Just loving with us. Just trying to ... ”
“I had a guy here with cerebral palsy and he got more done on his very first day than Cargo Pants after five weeks”, Ms. Tyler said. “Make me a martini, Joseph dear, will you please? Or rather two. One more class like this one and I may as well sign myself up for AA. Pour yourself one, too.”
They took the drinks outside, and when they had finished, spent some time watching the ice cubes melt in the warm summer night. Then, Ms. Tyler told Joseph how she wanted to rob Komaki Weizbaum.

”You’re beautiful when you’re confused”, Ms. Tyler said. Which, she added mentally, is mostly.
Joseph, eyes closed, was vividly massaging his nasal bridge. ”So we sell her house?”
Ms. Tyler nodded.
”Cause she’s trying to get rid of it anyways?”
Another nod.
”So why’s it theft?”
Ms. Tyler sighed, got up and headed for the bar. She returned with two olives and the bottle of gin.
He’s adorable, she thought while explaining to him again what she’d learned last week after the Mambo class, sharing a glass of gin with Komaki Weizbaum.
She was a second generation Korean immigrant, married young, husband a heir to a dying family conglomerate, but totally uninterested in it - caring about nothing but surfing and cooking. So Komaki decided to take care of business, and found herself quite amazing at it, quickly turning it into a highly profitable endeavour, and herself into the richest woman in the small town.
Then manly, loud, chubby Joel Weizbaum noticed after 20 years that marriage wasn’t his thing but rather, men were, and left for Italy, practically throwing his heirloom onto Komaki in return for a small private aliment. Now Mrs. Weizbaum had spent the last two years living alone in the gigantic mansion all by herself. Twice a week two Mexicans would come over to clean up, and that was it - half of the time she was on business trips anyway. And because there was no reason for a 40-year old, separated, reasonable 100-pound woman living on tea crumpets and the thrill of accounting to own a house the size of a Walmart, she decided to sell it off. It was set at five and a half million.
”So that’s what she’s told me. Now comes the exciting part.”
Joseph didn’t look excited.
”Next week, she’ll be out of town”, Ms. Tyler continued. Cut some deal in Detroit. That’s when we’re moving in.”
When she was done, Ms. Tyler still wasn’t sure he had understood the plan quite yet, so she mentioned the part about the millions again. The problem was that it didn’t seem to connect with Joseph - as if he was lacking the imagination of himself as a rich guy.
Well, maybe that’s exactly the qualities a man needs to dance a Cha cha cha that will make nuns cry and help me commit a crime, she thought, and when she arose to lock up, the room, held back by all the gin, needed a moment to catch up with her, and she hoped she wasn’t making a terrible mistake.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My take: there's a well-known cognitive principle (going back to Eleanor Rosch, back in the 70s) that we try to keep our categories at an intermediate, basic level. So we say tiger, not mammal or male bengal tiger. Unless it's a lion, in which case we say lion.
Warning, musing, venturing etc. can all be seen as hyponyms of saying. Shouting and saying, however, are mutually exclusive. So if it's a form of saying, we say "say", not "communicate" (above basic) or "murmur" (below basic). If it's shouting, it would be wrong to say it's being said, so we say shout. It's the difference between a Porsche, a humvee, a limo (all cars), versus a tank or a bicycle.

Also, is the fact that nobody's said anything about my few paragraphs on the last page a sign that I need to go to the THUNDERDOME or what?

vv thanks vv

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 23, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

lots of helpful words
Systran, I'm really sorry I didn't make this more clear before. This wasn't supposed to be Flash Fiction, but a Snippet. I just wanted to know if I should keep on writing what I want to turn into a short story of a few thousand words, or if I should stop trying to write in English.

Thank you for the comments either way, there's plenty of helpful stuff in there.

Edit: seriously ... I can see how it would be amazingly lame if read as a one-shot where you expect some form of payback at the end.

Edit 2: I'd like to keep working on the tone and language first before I continue with the rest of the story. Can I just put it in here again, as the first few paragraphs of what should become a short story, when I've worked on everything you've mentioned?

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 23, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, that WAS supposed to be the beginning of the short story.
I've cut it down by a hundred words, but I'm not really sure how to deal with the info dump paragraphs about Komaki, who's supposed to be one of the main characters. Right now, it looks like this http://pastebin.com/3jjWQ8yh

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if that's the joke, but Germans actually don't say "Sag Käse", since ɛ: is only half open so it doesn't get you smiling; it's still "Sag cheese" in German.
... or was the sound I just heard the joke going over my head?

Also, the first sentence of the second paragraph is very awkwardly phrased I think.
Finally, if the joke was that Grandma became Hitler, it might have been made a bit more clear to the slow amongst us (me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kwasimodick posted:

dangling from his groin was a tiny, golden bean, with a street value of approximately 1 million US dollars.
why

Please, somebody explain this to me - which part of the story did I miss that makes this a coherent thing? What is the author trying to tell us?

• Locked thread