Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

If anyone's interested, here's a list of contemporary poets (for a given value of "contemporary", I guess -- some of them are dead) that my school recommends:

Ai
Alexie, Sherman
Angelou, Maya
Ashberry, John
Bell, Marvin
Bly, Robert
Brodsky, Joseph
Brooks, Gwendolyn
Bukowski, Charles
Cisneros, Sandra
Collins, Billy
Dickey, James
Doty, Mark
Dove, Rita
Gilbert, Jack
Gluck, Louise
Graham, Jorie
Hall, Donald
Harvey, Matthea
Hass, Robert
Heaney, Seamus
Hoagland, Tony
Hughes, Ted
Justice, Donald
Koch, Kenneth
Kunitz, Stanley
Larkin, Philip
Neruda, Pablo
O'Hara, Frank
Oliver, Mary
Palmer, Michael
Phillips, Carl
Pinsky, Robert
Ruefle, Mary
Shange, Ntozake
Siken, Richard
Simic, Charles
Strand, Mark
Tate, James
Walcott, Derek
Young, Kevin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I said I was going to crit Budgie some, then life got crazy. I'm back though, doing stuff. General thoughts from first reading: it's overall pretty good. There's a nice quasi-mythic thing going on, the rhymes are funny, the images are strong. All-in-all I get a sort of 50s-English-Quiet-Comedy-Poet feel to it; Spike Milligan-esque, I guess.

With that in mind, I'm going to pull out all the bits that don't work because we can't get better without confronting our failings. :black101:

budgieinspector posted:

I Wandered Lonely as a Clod

I wandered lonely as a clod,
Just picking up old rags and bottles,
Title = First line is a BAD BAD THING AND YOU ARE BAD. A friend once called a poem's title the 'contextual anchor', which I like. It's free of the formal constraints of the poem and puts the reader into the right headspace before they read. Titles in poetry are super-important to get right and they're one of your weak points. Having the title and the opening line be identical is a waste of both.

Also, the first two lines don't scan very well. The clod,
Just

transition is really bumpy.

quote:

When onward on my way I plod,
I saw a host of axolotls;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
A sight to make a man’s blood freeze.
Form is lovely, content is a little incoherent. It's not immediately clear that the axolotls are the thing making his blood freeze. Throwing them out first then going "oh yeah they were scary" isn't working. Find a way to introduce the fear first, then the axolotls.

quote:

Some had handles, some were plain;
They came in blue, red pink, and green.
A few were orange in the main;
The damnedest sight I’ve ever seen.
Yissss I like this. :radcat:

quote:

The females gave a sprightly glance;
The male ones all wore knee-length pants.
First line scans terribly and that kills the flow you had going. If it were better worded, you could stick the landing better on the second line.

quote:

Now oft, when on the couch I lie,
The doctor asks me what I see.
They flash upon my inward eye
And make me laugh in fiendish glee.
I find my solace then in bottles,
And I forget them axolotls.
UGHGHGHGHG THIS MAKES ME MAD. Not because it's bad: because it's fantastic up until the last line and you completely flub the landing in a really understated way that I can't quite articulate. It doesn't scan well at all but I'm at a complete loss to tell you why. It's great as a punchline but the wording is just slightly off in some strange way. I feel terrible that I can't explain better. It's too ... abrupt? Too fierce? I dunno.

Anyway, overall great (no surprises there), hope I could help.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 79 days!
Soiled Meat

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Not because it's bad: because it's fantastic up until the last line and you completely flub the landing in a really understated way that I can't quite articulate. It doesn't scan well at all but I'm at a complete loss to tell you why.

I'm not! For scansion I read:

- / - / - / - / -
- / - / - / - / -

Which should work fine, right? It would, were it not for two things:
  1. The climactic sentence starts with a weak anchor (we're all guilty of this, and it's not a killer on its own).
  2. "Axolotls" doesn't rhyme with "bottles."
Around this point you're probably saying "Yes it does, Etherwind, you loving moron." Except it doesn't, because rhyme isn't solely a construct of the sound of words, despite what all the definitions may say. Rhyme is also the relation of two words in how they're parsed, the degree of difficulty in their parsing, and in their consonance and assonance on the page.

Quick! Say "bottles!"

Quick! Say "axolotls!"

One of those is much harder to intuitively parse than the other, so much so that it becomes an imperfect rhyme when the reader's confronted by it. In other parts of the poem you can shrug and carry it along, but on the final line? It's an awkward landing.

Parsing "bottles" sets the mind up with a particular lexical method of interpreting the word to follow. The reader expects a word that ends something like "ottles", but then you throw them for a loop with "otls." It's under a different pronunciation scheme, from a different language, and so it's not internally consistent as a rhyme.

If you write them both phonetically, yeah, they're a perfect rhyme. Unfortunately, writing in English is not phonetic, and rhymes are impacted by it.

As an experiment:

So I forget them axolotls,
And find my solace then in bottles.

Still not quite right, but better, yeah? It's because it's easier to revert from a foreign method of reading to a native one than the other way around.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

I said I was going to crit Budgie some, then life got crazy. I'm back though, doing stuff. General thoughts from first reading: it's overall pretty good. There's a nice quasi-mythic thing going on, the rhymes are funny, the images are strong. All-in-all I get a sort of 50s-English-Quiet-Comedy-Poet feel to it; Spike Milligan-esque, I guess.

Did... did you just crit the poem from MAD Magazine that I posted to show Spacedad that their writing standard was higher than he seemed to believe?

Because my thing's here.

EDIT: Also:

budgieinspector posted:

Title = First line is a BAD BAD THING AND YOU ARE BAD. A friend once called a poem's title the 'contextual anchor', which I like. It's free of the formal constraints of the poem and puts the reader into the right headspace before they read. Titles in poetry are super-important to get right and they're one of your weak points. Having the title and the opening line be identical is a waste of both.

Tee-hee!

budgieinspector fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 22, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I maaaaaaay have.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Silly Muffin!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I hate Wordsworth. I hate his twee rhymes, I hate his sledgehammer-subtle metaphors and most of all I hate his "poor people are great because they're too stupid to lie to me" mindset. He's the Romantics' answer to Kerouac or Eat, Pray, Love: boring rich white person goes out exploring amongst the poors and discovers some bullshit facebook philosophy to bring back and discuss at parties.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Etherwind posted:

I'm not! For scansion I read:

- / - / - / - / -
- / - / - / - / -

Which should work fine, right? It would, were it not for two things:
  1. The climactic sentence starts with a weak anchor (we're all guilty of this, and it's not a killer on its own).
  2. "Axolotls" doesn't rhyme with "bottles."
Around this point you're probably saying "Yes it does, Etherwind, you loving moron." Except it doesn't, because rhyme isn't solely a construct of the sound of words, despite what all the definitions may say. Rhyme is also the relation of two words in how they're parsed, the degree of difficulty in their parsing, and in their consonance and assonance on the page.

Quick! Say "bottles!"

Quick! Say "axolotls!"

One of those is much harder to intuitively parse than the other, so much so that it becomes an imperfect rhyme when the reader's confronted by it. In other parts of the poem you can shrug and carry it along, but on the final line? It's an awkward landing.

Parsing "bottles" sets the mind up with a particular lexical method of interpreting the word to follow. The reader expects a word that ends something like "ottles", but then you throw them for a loop with "otls." It's under a different pronunciation scheme, from a different language, and so it's not internally consistent as a rhyme.

If you write them both phonetically, yeah, they're a perfect rhyme. Unfortunately, writing in English is not phonetic, and rhymes are impacted by it.

As an experiment:

So I forget them axolotls,
And find my solace then in bottles.

Still not quite right, but better, yeah? It's because it's easier to revert from a foreign method of reading to a native one than the other way around.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

'Axolotls' and 'bottles' absolutely do rhyme. Whether or not two syllables rhyme has exactly nothing to do with how difficult the lexicography might make the discernment of the relevant syllable sounds, so long as phonetically speaking those two syllables have the same relevant internal structure (namely, the same nucleus and, where applicable, coda). When the rhyme occurs at the end of a line in a poem written in a complex metre as this one is (iambic tetrameter) the standards of rhyming are slightly more strict: the final beat-carrying syllables must at least have identical nuclei (and codas if there are any) and any successive non-beat-carrying syllables must be completely identical. In this instance we have an example of exactly that. The final beat-carrying syllables of both lines are occupied by identical syllables ('o' and 'o'), and the following unstressed syllables are also identical ('ttle' and 'tl'). In fact, since the final two syllables both rhyme with their counterparts in the other line, 'axolotls' and 'bottles' are not just in a simple rhyming relationship, but comprise an even more highly ordered double verse-rhyme.

Axolotls is not under any relevantly different 'pronunciation scheme' from bottles: when uttered in spoken English (which includes the internal vocalisation that occurs when one reads silently) the relevant final syllables of 'axolotls' are identical to the relevant final syllables of 'bottles'. That 'axolotl' is derived from a different root language than 'bottles' has nothing at all to do with whether the two words rhyme when given their standard English pronunciations. That two phonetically identical syllables are, for whatever reason, lexicographically distinct also has no bearing whatsoever on their phonetic properties: 'axolotls' and 'bottles' rhyme perfectly regardless of whether they're written in phonetic script or in standard English characters or simply spoken aloud. No matter how much intuitive difficulty one might have in parsing one half of a rhyming pair, there is no logical progression whereby the difficulty becomes so acute that the two words no longer actually rhyme. And there is no such thing as 'consonance and assonance on the page' as abstracted from the actual sound-units themselves; consonance and assonance are nothing more than phonetic identity relations between consonants and vowels.

Your 'fix' changed nothing about the rhyme relation between the two lines. They're still the exact same double verse-rhyme pair they were before, you just switched the lines around. You 'fixed' nothing because, at least as concerns metre, phonetics and prosody, there was nothing wrong to begin with.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 79 days!
Soiled Meat

Okay, since you've clearly got a better grasp of this than me: step up. What's the problem? Why doesn't it work on the page, if it's an absolutely perfect rhyme? :allears:

Josh Lark
Jul 3, 2012

Etherwind posted:

Okay, since you've clearly got a better grasp of this than me: step up. What's the problem? Why doesn't it work on the page, if it's an absolutely perfect rhyme? :allears:

Part of the awkwardness is that the bottles lines are the only time the poem slips into feminine rhyming (second-to-last syllables rhyming, with same last syllables). The rest of it is all masculine rhymes (last syllables rhyming). It's awkward because it's a stupid parody in a stupid parody magazine, so maybe it was intentional, or maybe the writer didn't give a poo poo about feminine/masculine rhyme, but that's why it reads "wrong" even though it's "right".

Josh Lark fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 22, 2013

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Etherwind posted:

I don't see that there is any problem. It does work on the page. The feminine endings might be standing out to some people, as Lark said, considering that the only time they occur is at the ends of lines 2,4 and 17-18. I personally don't see that this is an issue given that feminine endings are one of the oldest and most common sorts of variation in this style of verse, and that their use here is extremely modest. Whether it 'works' is really a matter of whether the variation is to the reader's taste. All I'm saying is that the variation has nothing to do with any technical error in the rhyming, and that the apparently authoritative account you gave of rhyme is wrong in almost every identifiable detail.

The headless or catalectic opening of the first line in the second stanza ('Some had handles...') is the much rarer and more disruptive variation, and, unlike in the case of feminine endings, headless lines have been claimed to be errors ever since they first started showing up in (at first pretty well only dramatic) verse; Pope (pretty sure it was him) 'fixed' these apparent errors in Shakespeare wherever he found them by adding in the missing off-beat syllable. I'm surprised no one's been bothered by the one example in this poem. It's the only thing in the poem's form that I can see that has any claim to being an 'error'.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 22, 2013

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Oh, hey--more people who sound like they know things about poetry!

(For the love of gently caress, please stick around. It's lonely for a VerseGoon in this cold, cold world.)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

boogs posted:

I don't see that there is any problem. It does work on the page. The feminine endings might be standing out to some people, as Lark said, considering that the only time they occur is at the ends of lines 2,4 and 17-18. I personally don't see that this is an issue given that feminine endings are one of the oldest and most common sorts of variation in this style of verse, and that their use here is extremely modest. Whether it 'works' is really a matter of whether the variation is to the reader's taste. All I'm saying is that the variation has nothing to do with any technical error in the rhyming, and that the apparently authoritative account you gave of rhyme is wrong in almost every identifiable detail.

The headless or catalectic opening of the first line in the second stanza ('Some had handles...') is the much rarer and more disruptive variation, and, unlike in the case of feminine endings, headless lines have been claimed to be errors ever since they first started showing up in (at first pretty well only dramatic) verse; Pope (pretty sure it was him) 'fixed' these apparent errors in Shakespeare wherever he found them by adding in the missing off-beat syllable. I'm surprised no one's been bothered by the one example in this poem. It's the only thing in the poem's form that I can see that has any claim to being an 'error'.

budgieinspector posted:

Oh, hey--more people who sound like they know things about poetry!

(For the love of gently caress, please stick around. It's lonely for a VerseGoon in this cold, cold world.)
Yes please. I'm apparently CC's defacto poetry guy and I don't think I could've explained that nearly as well.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Prince of the city of wind

I'll tell you how
My life is 100 degrees
I would like to take the time
I said, "Cousin, it is in the city of wind"

Born and raised in the West
I spent every day at school
Fresh-cut to maximize his profits.
Missing people
I, I'm in trouble in this area
My mother was horrible, it was a bit of a struggle
And then he says, "My uncle and my aunt. I'm impressed"

Then he flew to the investment
Year in the foot. "Fresh." And in the mirror was Russia
If you want to use a taxi, do not. They only work rarely
However, not all
I think that the air in the hood is making me homesick

In July 2008, I moved to a house
I. Me
We tell the taxi driver, and the house said, "I stink!"
I was the last kingdom
Prince of the air at my throne

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Just got an acceptance notice from PiF!

(They pay not a dime, but I like what they do.)

EDIT:

Triangle posted:

Prince of the city of wind

http://youtu.be/5utc5TOPNbo?t=5s

Is this found poetry and/or cut-up?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I'm not a poet by any means (I have a Maths degree and almost failed English at school). But I wrote this whilst the gas man was checking our boiler this afternoon.

THE GAS MAN COMETH AND TAKETH

As he sucks the air in through his teeth,
I sense the bad news rearing from beneath:
"The safetly valve on your boiler is goosed,"
"and the valve in question is no longer produced."

My joy for that day is now erased,
As the boiler needs to be replaced.
Winter has come and is full swing,
and Glasgow's no place to feel the sting.

Deep down I know that a solution will come,
But as it's Friday no work will be done.
So I put the kettle on to the boil,
And consider wrapping up in aluminium foil.

I see that I'm down to my last tea bag,
I fear this weekend is going to drag.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.

budgieinspector posted:

Is this found poetry and/or cut-up?

will smith

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DarthBlingBling posted:

I'm not a poet by any means (I have a Maths degree and almost failed English at school). But I wrote this whilst the gas man was checking our boiler this afternoon.

THE GAS MAN COMETH AND TAKETH

As he sucks the air in through his teeth,
I sense the bad news rearing from beneath:
"The safetly valve on your boiler is goosed,"
"and the valve in question is no longer produced."

My joy for that day is now erased,
As the boiler needs to be replaced.
Winter has come and is full swing,
and Glasgow's no place to feel the sting.

Deep down I know that a solution will come,
But as it's Friday no work will be done.
So I put the kettle on to the boil,
And consider wrapping up in aluminium foil.

I see that I'm down to my last tea bag,
I fear this weekend is going to drag.
Ok, so rhyme is a tricky thing. It was once the default in poetry and for many people, the idea of poetry that doesn't rhyme just blows their mind.

Thing is, it's the year 2013 and poetry hasn't needed to rhyme for a long time. You're allowed to make it rhyme certainly but unless you feel it's actually adding something to the poem, don't. It's really not here: you're breaking the arms of sentences to fit them into your rhyme scheme. There's not a lot more to say beyond that- the whole thing has been twisted awkwardly to fit the rhyme scheme but the rhymes aren't very good.

The gas man coming when the boiler blows in winter could actually be a decent poem, just stop trying to force the POETRY for a while. Get a hang of the basics before you try the more formal aspects.

Also dude, please spell check this yourself instead of running it through MS word. It's not 10,000 words you're editing, so things like "safetly valve" really shouldn't slip under the radar.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I don't really do poetry but during one of my meditations a funny man appeared, then this appeared:

Old Man Xau
Old man Xau

he sits by the bay

strumming his guitar

grinning cheek to cheek.

they leave him coins, handfuls

sometimes five dollars

once two hundred

he grins and nods, a fake smile with

a genuine intent

waving it away, ah but they insist

and though he sweeps the pile, when they turn

be assured he holds it not for long.

Xau spreads the currency to hidden corners

in the crannies of the street

under the glass lampshades

beneath stairs

behind bushes

tucked in trees

he spreads the currency back

to his most beloved muse

of luck and chance

she would guide unwary souls

to meager fortunes and sums.

ASDFJKLM
Mar 16, 2008

Tonsured posted:

Old Man Xau
Old man Xau

he sits by the bay

strumming his guitar

grinning cheek to cheek.

sometimes five dollars

once two hundred

a genuine intent <this seems needlessly vague to me--a genuine intent to do what?

be assured he holds it not for long. <This is a strange way of saying it ("not for long"). The verb "be" also introduces an implied addressee into the poem which I'm not sure is necessary

Xau spreads the currency why currency--seems needlessly formal... to hidden corners

beneath stairs

behind bushes

tucked in trees <This is interesting and, for the first time in the poem up until now, it makes me want to know more about Xau. Is it possible to start the poem with Xau hiding money everywhere instead of the more generic descriptions up top?

to his most beloved muse

of luck and chance

to meager fortunes and sums. <this is fine, but I'm not sure what conclusion to reach from this ending... Xau seems to have been replaced by his muse as the subject of these final lines and I know so little about her that I'm not sure what to make of the change.

Overall, I appreciate the impulse of this poem, but I feel like it's a little bit weak-willed about stating plainly what it wants to say. I don't have enough specific detail about Xau to understand him as a character, and if this poem is not about character, then I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it about charity? Is it about the love Xau has for his "muse"? Is there some allegory that I'm missing?

I should say, though, that I appreciate that you didn't overexplain everything in the poem. There's something very stripped-down and plain about the language of the poem that I appreciate.

THOU

Because there is a drought, my pepper plants
Go without water for weeks at a time.
This is, a banker might say, by design.
The pained go on to torture. This is true

For everything. And so when pepper plants
Are left unwatered, they draw their fruit from
The fire wounding the green out of their roots
And the last parched gasps of leaves before they're shed.

This afternoon, I drive to the studio
Of my friend Bret, a painter. He shows me
A new work that he calls Slow Alchemy—
A sort of comic mask, a gaze willed from

Spoonfuls of chocolate brown and open canvas—
A face absurdly squinting from the wall
With eyes like tools made sharp to strike,
And no mouth but a wild, bewildered shriek.

I should say, too, that I haven't been to the poetry thread in a while and I'm glad to see that there are people taking it seriously again.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

My critiques as of late have been so full of IDGI that I'm beginning to sympathize more with these people:

budgieinspector posted:

I know intelligent, well-educated people who, when confronted in a museum setting by art that they don't understand, shrug and say, "Someone likes this enough to put it here. They must be smarter than I am."

Nevertheless, I'll try:

Tonsured posted:

Old Man Xau
Old man Xau > You don't really need this as the first line, since you've already identified your subject in the title.

he sits by the bay > Which bay? Dollars + busking + surname makes me think San Francisco

strumming his guitar

grinning cheek to cheek.

sometimes five dollars

once two hundred > In coins?

a genuine intent > I agree with the below: this is vague

be assured he holds it not for long. > Again, agree with the below that this line's a bit awkward

Xau spreads the currency to hidden corners

beneath stairs

behind bushes

tucked in trees

to his most beloved muse > His "muse" is luck and chance? Luck and chance inspire his creativity?

of luck and chance

to meager fortunes and sums. > Semi-agree with the below, but what I think would work best would be if you wrapped up with Xau

All of my notes on the above are tweaks intended to polish what I consider to be a solid idea. On the whole, I dig it.

ASDFJKLM posted:

THOU > I'm not getting the title's relationship to the piece

Because there is a drought, my pepper plants
Go without water for weeks at a time.
This is, a banker might say, by design. > Why a banker?
The pained go on to torture. This is true

For everything. And so when pepper plants
Are left unwatered, they draw their fruit from
The fire wounding the green out of their roots > "Wounding"? As in "injuring"? Feels like a strange choice. How does fire/heat extract something from something else? Boiling, baking, sweating, blanching, scorching, etc., right?
And the last parched gasps of leaves before they're shed.

And this, right here, feels like a complete idea. The below feels like a different poem. I could see either in a lit mag, nod, and agree that it belonged there. But trying to figure out how both parts mesh into a single entity makes me scratch my head.

This afternoon, I drive to the studio
Of my friend Bret, a painter. He shows me > Personal prejudice: Name-dropping non-famous friends--especially when that person's character isn't the focus of the piece--just seems like a TRL shout-out. Bret is, for the purpose of this poem, just a noun: painter. His work is the subject; not him.
A new work that he calls Slow Alchemy—
A sort of comic mask, a gaze willed from > Doesn't sound very comic. Commedia dell'arte, perhaps? Something in the Venetian or Brazilian carnival tradition? Something Noh? Or something ancient and tribal and terrifying?

Spoonfuls of chocolate brown and open canvas—
A face absurdly squinting from the wall
With eyes like tools made sharp to strike,
And no mouth but a wild, bewildered shriek. > Odd phrasing. I think you're trying to say that it had a mouth, and that it was twisted into a shriek. But it reads like "literally, it had no mouth--and yet", which I'm having trouble visualizing.

Again, as with the previous poem, I think this is solid (although, as I said, I think it's two pieces), and could use a couple of minor tweaks to be as good as they can be. In my unprofessional opinion, though, I'd say it's ready to shop as-is... some editor will probably connect to it.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Thank you for your eyes, I agree it was vague in the weak sense. Xau is indeed meant to be a character piece, I envisioned him as a street performer who plays only for the sake of art. To Xau the money is comparative to writer's block, it tarnishes his process hence his behavior.In my mind, he is paying back to the universe, he's reimbursing the very same random faces that left the cash in the first place. It is only when his art is valueless that Xau is Xau.

I will work on it.

Tonsured fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 28, 2013

Silent Nature
Aug 4, 2009

The Ohio State University

I'll post this piece since it is still in the works. I plan to make a series out of it. I'm hoping to do five parts or more.

---

SUMMARY
It is a story about a singing ghost, a young girl that got murdered, haunting this fellow who have been struggling to sleep at night. It will escalate into something sinister.

---

SOMEWHERE BEYOND

Part I

The curtains quietly billow around.
My mind awakens me when I’m near.
Must be insomnia or is there a sound?
There is an indistinct voice, I hear.
Somewhere beyond the window…

How I wish I had known
Left wanted like fool’s gold
Buried without a stone
A story left untold

Words have been heartbrokenly sung,
But I am certain there’s nothing, but air.
As if it was a girl that died so young?
There it is again, the tone of despair.

Too many of a night
Afraid my soul's older
Been long dead, but not quite
Afraid my soul's colder

Quite concerned, I fear I’m daunted
Slowly, my heart starts to fill with guilt
Flabbergasted, why am I being haunted?
Higher as the emotions are being spilt

How I wish I had known
Left wanted like fool’s gold
Buried without a stone
A story left untold

Please leave me, I have already forgave
But the voice seems so quaintly
Can such words come from the grave?
The pitch is rising, but so faintly

Too many of a night
Afraid my soul's older
Been long dead, but not quite
Afraid my soul's colder

The warmth of dawn filters through
Reaching me as if I was able to redeem
Shall I allow myself to call out to you?
Only silence there as if it was a dream

Silent Nature fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 29, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've recently realised it's been over a year since I've properly sat down and written poetry. Ugh, here goes. I can feel my wheels squeaking.

medicine cabinet stories

The words were shaken out of me.
Would that those eyes were coal -
then I could start a fire. My leg still hurts
at night and I shake. There are pills for the shaking
but not for the leg. Bless the poor, crooked boy
with screwtop lovers; friends by the milligram.

It's bullshit - chasing slogans and kissing embers. My ashes
must be spread in a forest; until then, keep a fire burning.

It's pretentious, maudlin crap but I've got to start putting stuff out there. I can't really write unless I'm bouncing raw stuff off the walls.

Silent Nature
Aug 4, 2009

The Ohio State University

That's a lot of enjambments in there. I've never really did much of that, but I should look into that.

I really enjoyed the creativity of this part...awesome metaphors!

"The words were shaken out of me.
at night and I shake. There are pills for the shaking
with screwtop lovers; friends by the milligram.

It's bullshit - chasing slogans and kissing embers. My ashes
must be spread in a forest; until then, keep a fire burning."

---

Another piece that I managed to spew my heart out on...

"Excuse Me"

Too softly,
I cannot hear.
Lips, it seems to move.
Nothing comes out.
Eyes, it signals me.
All that it took.
It’s just me.
Although,
This is a dream.
It’s just me.

Without a sound,
Dreaming around.
Above the ground,
Away from reality.
Mute button’s stuck,
Your great disaster.
Mute button’s stuck.
Oh, oh, that’s how it is.

Eerily quiet.
Can you hear me?
Ears, it does not work.
Hollowly in and out.
Hands, it vibrates me.
Absorbing it in all.
It’s just me.
Although,
This is a dream.
It’s just me.

Without a sound,
Dreaming around.
Above the ground,
Away from reality.
Mute button’s stuck,
Your great disaster.
Mute button’s stuck.

Yeah, quite deafly...
Did you hear that?
Yeah, quite deafly...
Did you hear that?

Without a sound,
Dreaming around.
Above the ground,
Away from reality.
Mute button’s stuck,
Your great disaster.
Mute button’s stuck.

Silent Nature fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 31, 2013

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
First poem in quite a while.

Untitled (A cough)

A cough fell out of his right side,
where on the left it got caught
in a sleeve of steel. Meaning,
of course, a Poetic Idea,
a division in something, but
where, or what, he wasn't sure.
"Oh come on now!" she cried
(having changed her pronouns.)
"I've been working on that left side
for weeks. It's like this:
it's so much easier, the release,
on the clear side -- the distinct confusion,
all a muddle, on that other side,
like a profound well, perhaps, or
perhaps a little puddle, a filthy subsistence
of turbid moisture -- oh you know what I mean!"
Asking yourself then:
did I but skim the surface, or,
is there even any difference there
from plumbing the depths?
Is there pain there?
Or my sense of humor
gone to die -- the left side, rigid
in the arm and in the shoulder, interlocked
as if with empty contradiction,
as if enervated by a secret source or battery
embedded below the scapula.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Is it bad that I just plain old don't get the meaning of some of these? But then, I usually read prose. Here's a poem. The context- I'm a decent carpenter and a lovely Christian.

Crux Commissa

When I build the cross,
I make sure the joinery is sound.
A tenon atop the dense olivewood stipes,
The mortise carefully chiseled
And centered in the patibulum just so.
I pin it with a planetree plug,
Its pale sapwood showing my craftsmanship
Against the tan and gray grain.

When I build the cross,
The devil is in the details-
Confident beams planed with exactitude
and sanded with superfine grit.
Even without a satin finish,
There's no chance of any splinters.
I leave a live edge on the transverse
for a refined, rustic look.

When I set the cross,
I make sure I dig below the frost line,
Augering a precise hole in the earth
So the beam moves but little.
It ascends as a shoot, a perfect verticality
From the messy dome of the hill.
I emphasize the elegance of man-made
Against the messiness of nature.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Stavrogin posted:

Is it bad that I just plain old don't get the meaning of some of these? But then, I usually read prose. Here's a poem. The context- I'm a decent carpenter and a lovely Christian.

Crux Commissa

When I build the cross,

When I build the cross,
The devil is in the details-
and sanded with superfine grit.
Even without a satin finish,

When I set the cross,
I make sure I dig below the frost line,

I do like what you're doing here, just because Christ was a carpenter, so there's cool sort of parallel there with yourself.

I really appreciate what you're trying to do with like "The devil is in the details," but I feel like that exact phrase is a bit of a cliche. Is there a different way to say that? Like, your own way of saying the devil is in the details. You'd still have that juxtaposition, but in your own words.

That being said, I think you could reshuffle things a little, and the first stanza could be about maybe planning the cross, or something along those lines? Having two stanzas about building the cross feels a little redundant, and I think you could almost make like, a sort of narrative about this cross and the person building it.

I think the final two-lines work really well. I think the idea of a cross made by man that represents God being elegant, while nature, which if the bible is to be believed is actually created by god, is messy, really says a lot about the speaker. That's the most interesting part of the poem. BUT, can you say that in the rest of the poem without actually coming right out and saying it like you do here? For example, you can use clean, elegant words to describe the cross, as you already kind of do, and put a bit more about the general messiness and dirtiness of nature in there, and really make that same point.

Watch the repeated use of mess in the last three lines.

Good work. I think it has potential.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2013

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
DUI

When I was nine I ate lunch
in a small room with white cinderblock walls
and I had time to trace a pattern on their surface
a robot built from blocks
or the face of a cartoon dog
and I waited with submerged dread for when I would see
my parents and tell them about the fight
at school

The room was cold
and the socks they gave me were thinner than the standard issue blanket
and the sleep I tried to steal in the drunk tank
at 5am on a Saturday morning
so I sat waiting for the phone call I would make
and the fear of what waited fought against the need to get out
but the white walls were the same
as the ones I remember when I was a child
in trouble

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

medicine cabinet stories

The words were shaken out of me. < kinda passive way to kick things off
at night and I shake. There are pills for the shaking < three shakes in four lines might be a bit excessive
with screwtop lovers; friends by the milligram. < Nice.

It's bullshit - chasing slogans and kissing embers. My ashes I AM THE READER AND I WILL DECIDE WHEN THINGS ARE BULLSHIT
must be spread in a forest; until then, keep a fire burning. < the wrap-up just tapers off...

Okay, so... we've got two motifs: drugs and fire. Good motifs. I think the drugs sections were well-worded and intriguing. I think the fire sections need more cohesion, and they don't feel anchored to the drugs idea. Would suggest entwining them somehow.

Silent Nature posted:

"Excuse Me"

Too softly,
I cannot hear.
Lips, it seems to move. < Not getting the reason for the weird syntax. Why isn't this "they seem to move"?
Nothing comes out.
Eyes, it signals me. < Same as above
All that it took.
It’'s just me.
Although,
This is a dream. < What?
It'’s just me.

Without a sound,
Dreaming around.
Above the ground, < Men have been shot for less egregious crimes against language than this. You forced the rhyme too hard; now it's broken

Away from reality. < To where, and why?
Mute button’'s stuck,
Your great disaster. < What?
Mute button’'s stuck.
Oh, oh, that'’s how it is. < What purpose does the "oh, oh" serve?

...And this is where I stop. You're trying to write lyrics, aren't you? You have to be drat good to get away with repeating entire sections in poetry... and these sections aren't that great. Look: Start by taking out every line repetition. Then fix your punctuation. Then decide what the spine of your piece is--it seems like you want to say something about silence and/or miscommunication. Then take out all of the loving non sequiturs! Here is a list of lines that you seem to have just jammed in there to no good effect:

* All that it took.
    * It’s just me.
    * Although,
    * This is a dream.
    * Dreaming around.
    * Above the ground,
    * Away from reality.
    * Your great disaster.
    * Oh, oh, that’s how it is.

This poo poo reflects not at all on your only obvious theme. It doesn't add; it clutters.

nomadologique posted:

Untitled (A cough)

A cough fell out of his right side,
where on the left it got caught
in a sleeve of steel. Meaning,
of course, a Poetic Idea,
a division in something, but
where, or what, he wasn't sure.
"Oh come on now!" she cried
(having changed her pronouns.)
"I've been working on that left side
for weeks. It's like this:
it's so much easier, the release,
on the clear side -- the distinct confusion,
all a muddle, on that other side,
like a profound well, perhaps, or
perhaps a little puddle, a filthy subsistence
of turbid moisture -- oh you know what I mean!" < I honestly have no clue.
Asking yourself then:
did I but skim the surface, or,
is there even any difference there
from plumbing the depths?
Is there pain there?
Or my sense of humor
gone to die -- the left side, rigid
in the arm and in the shoulder, interlocked
as if with empty contradiction,
as if enervated by a secret source or battery
embedded below the scapula.

I have no idea what you're driving at, but you sound like you mean something. If you're playing with words for the fun of it, well, good enough. Throw it at a lit mag and see if an editor bites. But if you're trying to communicate an idea, either it needs refining or I'm not your target audience.

Stavrogin posted:

Crux Commissa

When I build the cross,

When I build the cross,
The devil is in the details- < little bit on-the-nose
and sanded with superfine grit. < are we talking ancient Judea? if so, this line just threw me out of that mindframe.
Even without a satin finish, < this, too.

When I set the cross,
I make sure I dig below the frost line, < now I'm lost.

Well, poo poo. Other than the stuff Zack pointed out, all I've got is the timeframe issue--which you can resolve by talking about either power tools or adzes and poo poo. If it is intended to be contemporary, might want to let the reader know why he's building a cross. Also, I don't know if MS Word is capitalizing the first letter of each line, or if you're doing it intentionally, but it breaks up the momentum:

I make sure I dig below the frost line, (pause)
Augering a precise hole in the earth (pause)

But yeah; a couple tweaks and I'd say shop it.

Kadath posted:

DUI

When I was nine I ate lunch
in a small room with white cinderblock walls
and I had time to trace a pattern on their surface
a robot built from blocks
or the face of a cartoon dog
and I waited with submerged dread for when I would see
my parents and tell them about the fight
at school. < I trust there's not a stylistic reason to leave out the period, here.

The room was cold
and the socks they gave me were thinner than the standard issue blanket < break up this line
and the sleep I tried to steal in the drunk tank
at 5am on a Saturday morning
so I sat waiting for the phone call I would make
and the fear of what waited fought against the need to get out
but the white walls were the same
as the ones I remember when I was a child
in trouble

I'm hesitant to jump on the run-on-iness of the two stanzas. Although personally, I'd like to see more punctuation, others might not. I just get tired of long sentences after a bit.

Otherwise, I don't see why this couldn't get published. It tells a couple stories, ties them together well, and has an accessible point.

Now: How many drat critiques do I have to do before some motherfucker will tell me how to improve my goddamn poem?

EDIT: fixed link

budgieinspector fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 8, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

quote:

When onward on my way I plod,
A sight to make a man’s blood freeze.

And I forget them axolotls.

This is a fun poem and I genuinely liked it, but my biggest issue is I feel like you are only using axolotls because they rhyme with bottles, and you really shouldn't let your rhyme scheme dictate the path your poem takes. Would you consider writing it with a looser rhyme scheme? You can still put some rhymes in there, because it's a fun poem and rhymes are fun, but like, not strictly with a ABABCC rhyme scheme. I feel like too many end words are dictated totally by rhyme and not because they're the best fit. It's very difficult, I sure as hell can't do it, but the words you choose for end rhymes should also be there because they say what you're trying to say in the poem better than any other word on top of rhyming. Does that make sense? I feel like I talked in circles a little. Just look at this old first year university standby. The logic of the poem dictates the rhymes and not the other way around.

Here's something I wrote yesterday. I'd love some critique because I'm trying to get back into this sort of thing:

Paycheque to Paycheque

Grade 2 Cafeteria Order
02/07/2012

Jonathan Wilson:
Chocolate Milk.....0.99
Hotdog & Fries......3.00
Total.....................3.99

Mark Clayton:
Apple Juice...........1.29
Yogurt..................1.50
Total.....................2.79

Samantha Greenberg:
Veggie Sticks.........3.00
Total.....................4.29

Billy Osborne:
Milk......................0.99
Total.....................0.99
(NB: Billy’s parents will send payment with tomorrow’s order.)

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 8, 2013

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

budgieinspector posted:

Just picking Scooping up old rags and bottles,
When While onward on my way I plod,
A sight to make a man’s blood freeze. - The rhythm towards the end of this line is disrupted by three stressed words at the end but its probably fine

And I forget them those axolotls. - SupMuff commented that this felt weird and I believe it comes from the glottal stop between them and axolotls. I quite like the effect though, if read dramatically. Those is a bit of a boring replacement though. Could always find something else.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Paycheque to Paycheque

Grade 2 Cafeteria Order
02/07/2012

Jonathan Wilson:
Chocolate Milk.....0.99
Hotdog & Fries......3.00

Mark Clayton:

Samantha Greenberg:

Billy Osborne:

To my eye this is less poetry and more prose. A bit like that Hemingway baby shoes story. I have literally no idea what to crit about it, other than I think you got the year wrong and no way are veggie sticks that expensive. And if milk costs the same as chocolate milk, why the hell am I buying normal milk like some sucker?

Here is something I'm working at on and off. The title I just made up, that's why it is terrible. Not really sure I'm going anywhere with it, but meh.

All and Sun-dry

A Serpent, cold-coiled, it twists,
Unfurling, sun-hungry, and roils.
Flickers of forked tongue, static hiss,
And skin the sheen of beaten foil.

It carves the baked earth in slices,
Scimitrous curves with metalline eyes
That gleam like onyx rifts in yellow vices
Which even the noon-sun fails to prise.

It seeks the terracotta throne,
Blood calling for the warm-light.
Curlicued reign atop tawny stone,
It twists and bends in shadowed sleight.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 8, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Jeza posted:

To my eye this is less poetry and more prose. A bit like that Hemingway baby shoes story. I have literally no idea what to crit about it, other than I think you got the year wrong and no way are veggie sticks that expensive. And if milk costs the same as chocolate milk, why the hell am I buying normal milk like some sucker?

After reading your comments, I did alter the prices. I also arranged the other kids' orders from lowest to highest with Billy's at the end so there as a sort of build. My main concern is, I mean, am I successfully telling a story through this lunch order here?

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 8, 2013

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

budgieinspector posted:

Now: How many drat critiques do I have to do before some motherfucker will tell me how to improve my goddamn poem?

Zack_Gochuck posted:

MAD Magazine poem critique

Jeza posted:

MAD Magazine poem critique

*checks link*

I'm a loving idiot who fails at pasting things. My thing's here. And just in case I accidentally linked to MLP slash fiction, here it is:

Pour Vatel, le maître des maîtres d’hôtel

Le Roi-Soleil sweeps in with his retinue.
Beneath the ermine, silk, and lace, there lies
an appetite to be tantalized.
I have the manor strewn
with jonquils, their petals
dust the marble floors with sunlight,
then, crushed underfoot, exude
this sharply-perfumed beatitude:
“Blessed are they who surround
themselves with splendor, for
they need not wait for heaven.”
C'est vrai, and I, the miracle worker.
As the Christ woke putrefying Lazarus,
so I resurrect the senses; as Muhammad split the moon,
so I shatter the expectations of the jaded.

But what divine conspiracy
has hatched to topple poor Vatel?
Six-and-twenty tables ringed around the banquet hall,
yet only twenty-four of these have any roasts at all!
For the evening’s entertainment,
I promised silver scarabs, crimson poppies,
azure harts and hinds,
bounding through the heavens
but the soaking mist that blinds
us from the starlight,
so douses all the fuses;
paper rockets, damp and ragged
as a toothless
pensioner's daily rye.
Each downturned eye
assaults me.
What Gods have I offended
that my penance be this rank;
as though Our Lord
stepped out upon the stormy sea
and promptly tripped and sank?

I shall rally!
Behold the ice armada,
a dozen ships fashioned
from an Alpine glacier,
which I shall fill
with the ocean's bounty!
From the merest brined anchovy
to swordfish à la poêle,
I shall raid old Neptune's cupboard
and once again Vatel
will bask in well-earned honor!

The fishmonger is prompt; he stands
in my cold kitchen like my father,
tightly clutching cap in hand.
His prickly jowls quiver
when I ask him for his wares.
He leads me to his cart, and there,
he offers two bushels of haddock,
stinking in the cool spring air.
He chews his lip and shrugs, "C'est tout."

I could strangle him.
Instead, I cross his palm with silver,
and hasten to my chambers.
For there, within the armoire,
is the medal of my station:
The sabre granted to me
with the greatest approbation.
With the hilt against the doorframe
and disgrace around my neck,
it takes three tries to get it right.
Poor Vatel: d'échec en échec.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

After reading your comments, I did alter the prices. I also arranged the other kids' orders from lowest to highest with Billy's at the end so there as a sort of build. My main concern is, I mean, am I successfully telling a story through this lunch order here?

As long as they read the title there is no issue. The story is put across just fine. Things you could play around with would be increasing the disparity of lunch bought, so like the rest get a full meal and Billy gets nothing/water/milk.

The other thing that occurred would be fiddling with the little NB at the bottom. Considering it is the most substantial info we receive in the piece, it seems quite off the cuff and innocent. It wouldn't hurt to make it more aggressive or negative, like, an administrative note that his menu is restricted until backlog of payment is received or even that he gets his lunch from mandatory coupon or its state paid or something like that.

budgieinspector posted:

*checks link*

I'm a loving idiot who fails at pasting things. My thing's here. And just in case I accidentally linked to MLP slash fiction, here it is:

Pour Vatel, le maître des maîtres d’hôtel - Instead of for Vatel, maybe 'Pauvre' or something like that. Sets the tone a little clearer.

Le Roi-Soleil sweeps in with his retinue. - This whole line seems a little unpoetic. It doesn't seem to fit with the flow of the rest of the verse.
I have the manor strewn
C'est vrai, and I, the miracle worker. - Worker sounds a bit utilitarian. Vatel probably considers himself more on an artiste in the picture I get.
As the Christ woke putrefying Lazarus, - A bit brutal and heavy on the tongue.

azure harts and hinds - Comma removal service.
bounding through the heavens, - Comma addition service.
us from the starlight, - Cut for better flow
so douses all the fuses;
as a toothless
pensioner's daily rye.
Each downturned eye
assaults me.
that my penance be this rank; - The next lines are great so I want to keep this rhyme, but I don't really understand the use of English here with rank.
as though Our Lord

I shall rally!
Behold the ice armada,
a dozen ships fashioned
from an Alpine glaciers, - For smoother flow
which I shall fill
with the ocean's bounty!
to swordfish à la poêle,
and once again Vatel

His prickly jowls quiver

I could strangle him.
is the medal of my station: - Is a sabre really the mark of his station as the maitre d'?
The sabre granted to me
it takes three tries to get it right. - I can't actually picture how he is killing himself properly.
Poor Vatel: d'échec en échec. - If you changed title to 'pauvre', this could be changed.

I guess it isn't what you want to hear but I like this a lot how it is. The rhyme scheme is a little footloose but it doesn't really detract.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

NOT A DEFENSE, JUST A REPLY TO INTERESTING POINTS:

quote:

- Worker sounds a bit utilitarian.
[...]
I don't really understand the use of English here with rank.

Bist du Französisch? Asking because of nuance and phrasing.

The "worker" in "miracle worker" doesn't really scan as "laborer" (unless you're going to the extreme synaptic level of cognitive linguistics); "to work", when paired with miracles, means to perform a miracle or cause a miracle to come into being. Jesus is commonly referred to as a miracle worker, as are (in the secular sense of "causing something previously deemed impossible to occur") Anne Sullivan, Montgomery Scott, and various successful doctors, engineers, and sundry professionals.

Besides "relative position or standing", "rank" has another meaning: "foul". This is most often used in describing an overwhelming odor.

quote:

Is a sabre really the mark of his station as the maitre d'?

Not his station as "the maître d'", but his station as "The Maître d'". There really isn't a definitive account of François Vatel's life. All sources seem to agree about his profession, and all assert that he was excellent at his job. One source asserts that his employer, the Prince de Condé, was so pleased with Vatel's work that he was "given the right to carry a sword, which was an honour in those days". Am I educated enough in 17th-Century French law to know whether there really were restrictions on commoners walking around with blades? Nope. But I liked the idea, especially in relation to how the story ends.

quote:

I can't actually picture how he is killing himself properly.

Hmm. Well, a contemporary account has it that he braced his sword against his door and threw himself at it. Only, the first two times, he missed skewering his heart, so he had to stab himself three times... which I thought was darkly in keeping with the way his last week had gone.

How to convey this differently, though?

quote:

Instead of for Vatel, maybe 'Pauvre' or something like that. Sets the tone a little clearer.
[...]
If you changed title to 'pauvre', this could be changed.

There are a couple of reasons why I went with "Pour Vatel":

* The English "poor" and the French "pour" are near-homonyms, so I wanted to play with that.
    * I don't actually pity Vatel. He had an incredible streak of good fortune, then tossed it all away in a manic snit about "honor" after a bad couple of days at work. As far as I know, there isn't any reliable account of what his peers and employees thought of him, but I imagine that that kind of perfectionism would make him insufferable. Writing in the first person forced me to try and think my way into that sort of personality, and to rationalize his actions. What I decided to go with was "narcissism in conflict with self-pity and a vague paranoia that the Fates were conspiring to lay him low". So he might have considered himself "pauvre Vatel", but I decided to deny him the use of the title to plead his case with the reader.

quote:

The rhyme scheme is a little footloose

Thanks for commenting on this. I went back and forth on whether this was a poem about a perfectionist, and should be written with a strict meter and rhyme scheme, or a poem about a man unraveling. Picking the latter, I thought that flitting back and forth between rhyming and not might get some of that confusion across. My major concern was whether readers would respond well to a loose rhyme, or whether it would just be annoying.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

budgieinspector posted:

Bist du Französisch? Asking because of nuance and phrasing.

The "worker" in "miracle worker" doesn't really scan as "laborer" (unless you're going to the extreme synaptic level of cognitive linguistics); "to work", when paired with miracles, means to perform a miracle or cause a miracle to come into being. Jesus is commonly referred to as a miracle worker, as are (in the secular sense of "causing something previously deemed impossible to occur") Anne Sullivan, Montgomery Scott, and various successful doctors, engineers, and sundry professionals.

Besides "relative position or standing", "rank" has another meaning: "foul". This is most often used in describing an overwhelming odor.

Looking back on what I wrote, I did use some really odd turns of phrase, but I am not French. I used to speak French to a mostly fluent level though if that is any consolation.

I understand the connotations of both things. I suppose you could say I was bringing cognitive linguistics into things (though having never studied any linguistics, I wouldn't have known what to call it), but miracle worker just seems quite crude to me. It is a common, everyday sort of cliché. Going purely from the picture that you paint of Vatel, I just felt like it wasn't an appropriate term of self-reference.

As you point out, rank is almost always used in regards to foul odour. It is used in a way I would never put in a sentence, that is why I picked up on it.

(Also scanning over it again, you refer to 'the Christ', which sounds a bit funny with definite article attached.)

budgieinspector posted:

Hmm. Well, a contemporary account has it that he braced his sword against his door and threw himself at it. Only, the first two times, he missed skewering his heart, so he had to stab himself three times... which I thought was darkly in keeping with the way his last week had gone.

How to convey this differently, though?

Well, you could always be more direct about it and just deadpan what he is doing. What really threw me off was the line 'disgrace about my neck', because it instantly brought hanging to the forefront of my mind and muddied the waters.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

budgieinspector posted:

Pour Vatel, le maître des maîtres d’hôtel

Le Roi-Soleil sweeps in with his retinue.
I have the manor strewn
C'est vrai, and I, the miracle worker.
As the Christ woke putrefying Lazarus,

azure harts and hinds,
bounding through the heavens
us from the starlight,
so douses all the fuses;
as a toothless
pensioner's daily rye.
Each downturned eye
assaults me.
as though Our Lord

I shall rally!
Behold the ice armada,
a dozen ships fashioned
from an Alpine glacier,
which I shall fill
with the ocean's bounty!
to swordfish à la poêle,
and once again Vatel

His prickly jowls quiver

I could strangle him.
The sabre granted to me
it takes three tries to get it right.
Poor Vatel: d'échec en échec.

It's too bad you had to beg people to give you a critique because this is the best poem in the thread so far. It reminds me of a collection of Browning's poems in that it's a tale of obsession told from the perspective of the madman. Your use of rhyme also faintly recalls Browning (though Browning, at least in the poems I'm thinking of, the name of the volume of which I've forgotten, managed to write these poems in rhyming iambic pentameter couplets without ever allowing the poem to devolve into metronomic whimsy; 'My Last Duchess' is a great example, and the form is just about impossible to pull off). Your character is less deranged, though, I suppose as a consequence of historical fidelity--a proud master committing suicide after a string of humiliating failures is notably less mad than, say, the Browning character who murdered a woman in her house and then recounted to her, as if she were still alive, the vision of his own divinity he received as he strangled her. Though your character does compare himself with Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead and Muhammad splitting the moon, he doesn't quite go so far as to actually identify himself as a god.

I'm not quite sure that the form of the poem is working in the way you intend it to. You mentioned that you wanted there to be an established form that would gradually deteriorate in parallel with the growing failure of Vatel's entertainments, and that, rather than electing to establish a recognisable metre, you chose to insert rhymes at varying stages, the rhymes being the order amidst the relative disorder (or, if you prefer, freedom) of the rest of the poem. My problem is that, though you rhyme well (the 'exude' and 'beatitude' couplet is very nice), the rhymes are too infrequent, too variously structured and too randomly scattered to suggest any palpable deterioration from order to disorder; the effect it had on me was pretty much the opposite, actually, that is, a general lack of structure occasionally punctuated by baffling instances of order. To overcome this you could either rewrite the entire poem in a complex metre, which would be extremely difficult at this stage, and vary the metre according to the established pattern for the desired mimetic effect; if you were to do this, and I don't expect you to, then alexandrines would be a good choice, given that the poem is about a Frenchman. Otherwise, I'd rhyme more frequently and in more predictable positions, and as the poem proceeds perhaps allow these rhymes to deteriorate. For example, start with your first rhyme in a clean iambic pentameter couplet, then in the next instance keep the full rhyme but miss a beat, then in the next only use half rhymes--that sort of thing.

This section

quote:

is problematic to me for a few reasons. In a poem where the intention is to formally reflect descent into madness, the first four lines of the stanza are made up of two lines of pretty much unavoidable iambic tetrameter followed immediately by a rhyming couplet, which, far from suggesting confusion and panic, suggests an inappropriate excess of order. The rhetorical question about providence put in such an instantly recognisable English metre, followed by an archaic and by now pretty silly syntactical transformation ('Six-and-twenty') at the beginning of a jaunty rhyming couplet, makes the whole of Vatel's situation come across as less an occasion for suicide as an obstacle to be overcome by a Dr. Seuss character. The whole four lines are just too whimsical to work. You could pretty well cut these entirely and lose nothing of importance (you mention cruel providence later, anyway, with 'what Gods have I offended'). You could almost certainly distill this section into about one line about a lack of roasts.

The joke about Jesus is a pretty good one, though I have a suggestion.

quote:

as though Our Lord

First, though, I like the line 'that my penance be this rank'. I picked up on the 'rank' (status) and 'rank' (putrid stink) double meaning, which is pleasing in its own right but also links nicely back to his reference to Lazarus, though now it's Vatel who's the rickety corpse of Lazarus rather than Jesus, a rotting thing in need of miraculous saving rather than the saviour himself. My only suggestion is that the final line ('and promptly tripped and sank') be dramatically shortened to give the enjambment a more dramatic rejet, which disrupts expectations (as a good punchline out to) as well as being a rending of form mimetic of Vatel's descent into suicidal, almost comical, hysteria. It would work especially well given that the preceding line, as a neat little iambic tetrameter, establishes a clear rhythm all the more suited for the breaking. So I would write it as:

quote:

as though Our Lord
and sank?

or, for an even rougher, more sudden shift, have a feminine ending and then a single-word rejet:

quote:

stepped out upon the stormy sea and
sank?

I actually prefer the latter because, while in the first option the transition is rough because of the short rejet, the enjambment occurs in a grammatically relatively non-disruptive position (at a non-obligatory intonational break, fairly common in almost all complex verse). More interesting would be to place the enjambment between the verb and its clitic (and | sank), creating a more sudden and awkward jolt away from the established metre (due to inducing a pause where a pause would not intuitively ever occur), a sort of double rhythmic stagger or hesitation suggesting a catastrophic failure of expectations.

I'd also lengthen the 'as though Our Lord' line to give it the same metre as the next one, just to establish the rhythm a bit more (maybe 'as though Our Lord and Saviour' or something to that effect; mentioning that Jesus is the saviour here might also be taken to be a further clarification of the earlier admittance on Vatel's part that he is not at all the Saviour himself, but a Lazarus).

Another suggestion is in the next line:

quote:

I shall rally!
Behold the ice armada,

You've already established that Vatel occasionally refers to himself in the third person ('What divine conspiracy... poor Vatel'). At least when I'm under a lot of stress and my mind's becoming watery with anxiety, I tend to talk to myself in the third-person ('Come on, boogs, chill out and get it done, you antsy gently caress'). Since that's pretty much what Vatel is doing here, I'd suggest that the line become 'Rally, Vatel!' The rhythm is better too: it's a sharp two beat iambic line with an initial punchy reversal. This makes its rejet more emphatic, as well as halting the rhythm with a sudden violation of the iambic pattern ('and sank' is iambic, 'sank' is obviously not) that follows upon an enjambment that occurs at a very harsh grammatical juncture.

I also have a suggestion for this section:

quote:

Vatel is hoping to dazzle his guests with a banquet of the finest and most varied seafood, and all he gets is haddock from a man that looks like his dad. It's not entirely obvious, though, that haddock is an inferior substitute for what he was expecting--even though in the next line you refer to it as stinking, so it does eventually become clear. I think, though, that if you transform the line a bit you can get an emphasis on haddock that both informs the reader that it is the haddock itself that infuriates Vatel as well as creates a sudden rhythmic jolt that reflects Vatel's own furious shock. The rhythm is also rougher due to more obligatory intonational breaks and a more awkward enjambment on 'stinking'. So maybe:

quote:

'He leads me to his cart, and there
Haddock, two bushels, stinking
in the cool spring air...'

I like the final rhyme:

quote:

The sabre granted to me

It's entirely appropriate, reflecting in the order of the rhymes his resolve to suicide.

As for the ending, I don't think you should end a poem in English with a French phrase. I don't know French and you can guarantee that most English speakers won't know French; having the title in French is questionable enough (I'd simplify the title to 'Pour Vatel', which works in French and English due to 'pour' and 'poor' being near-homophonous). That he's a sort of master of ceremonies of the house becomes abundantly clear almost immediately, so nothing much would be lost in the simplification, though there would be arguably a gain in clarity for the English-speaking reader.

Also, Vatel's death is maybe just a little too perfunctory; an extra line reflecting the condign absurdity of his not even being able to commit suicide properly the first time (or even the second time) might be called for. If you made his suicide this bit more interesting and put the final line in the same language as the rest of the poem, then it would end much more effectively.

Incidentally, I agree with Jeza about the definite article on 'Christ'. It sounds strange and adds nothing to the line.

quote:

Paycheque to Paycheque

Grade 2 Cafeteria Order
02/07/2012

Jonathan Wilson:
Chocolate Milk.....0.99
Hotdog & Fries......3.00

Mark Clayton:

Samantha Greenberg:

Billy Osborne:

This isn't a poem. It's barely even prose.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 9, 2013

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Re: Billy's milk - I've just read a book about poverty in Victorian England and milk is one of the few luxuries that the empoverished family is able to provide to their children. What I'm saying is I'm accutely aware of milk being a luxury item (more so than apple juice), so if you want to get the message of him being poor across maybe pick another drink?

Also P.S. Does anyone know of a good primer text for begginer poets? I'm immersing myself in poetry and I'm going to start to submit some pieces for criticsm. It would be cool to be able to bypass some obvious errors if I had a book of essential concepts and terms of poetry available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

YES! Thanks for taking the time!

Quick clarification, though: It wasn't my intent to loosen the rhyme from a stolid, metrical beginning, portraying a descent into madness. To me, at least, Vatel's already on the downward slope when the piece begins. His thoughts are in disarray from the stress of preparing for the king's visit--his tremendous-but-precariously-balanced ego tips all the way over the minute the king arrives. The most important day of his life, aaaaand... go!

But if that didn't come across, then that's something else to work on.

Here's a question: Do you think that the meter/rhyme oddness could work if I broke the stanzas around the different schemes? For example (without rewriting):

azure harts and hinds
bounding through the heavens,

us from the starlight,
so douses all the fuses;
as a toothless

pensioner's daily rye.
Each downturned eye

assaults me.
as though Our Lord

...Does that improve the read, or is it obnoxious?

(Not trying to make this the ALL ABOUT MEEEEE thread; it's just that I haven't been able to get any sort of concrete feedback from three consecutive poetry instructors, and I've been going a little bugshit from trying to figure out where and how the work needs to be done.)

EDIT:

Tactical Grace posted:

Does anyone know of a good primer text for begginer poets? I'm immersing myself in poetry and I'm going to start to submit some pieces for criticsm. It would be cool to be able to bypass some obvious errors if I had a book of essential concepts and terms of poetry available.

Whatever you do, do not--I repeat, do NOT--pick up Mary Oliver's Poetry Handbook. That loving thing is so chock-full of her own arbitrary value system that it's like having an elderly woodlands lesbian perched on your shoulder, waiting to throttle you if you stray from her path.

I've heard Ted Kooser's Poetry Home Repair Manual is good, but I haven't read it.

• Locked thread