Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerrorTurtle
May 5, 2007
Hi. I sometimes like to write things in my spare time. I wrote a poem about cigarettes. I call it, "Cigarettes."

Idol businessman worship of many decades past
Burning white bridges that were never meant to last
Ash the sun now, it holds no mystique
I house cloud gods in my lungs, and sometimes forget to breath.

Chemical based desire to whittle away the years
Saviors come and go but the flame is always near
Wind rushes too fast like God wants it out
But we've overcome the worry of a smokeless drought

Part of the appeal is knowing the thrill
A very human emotion of enjoying what kills
But, of course, it will soon be too late
I bet you'd light up in front of St. Peter's face

Sometimes at night I see figures in the dust
Harlots and heathens in an ocean of rust
One day they'll take me and I'll never look back
I just have to burn up a thousand more packs

Parasitic relationship, but no clear winner
My body tars up while the stick gets thinner
Take in all the meaning of concrete sin
Blow out all the angels and devils within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerrorTurtle
May 5, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I like it. A couple of things though, the rhyme scheme is interesting, and works for the most part, but a couple of times it felt a little forced. For example, a cigarette doesn't really get thinner as you smoke it, it gets shorter. That leads me to believe that you used "thinner" not because it was the best word, but because it rhymes with "winner." That's something you really have to watch out for with rhyme schemes.

Secondly I found there was a lot of confusion with the "I" and "You." At times it seemed like "I" was the smoker, other times "I" directly addresses "you" as if "you" is the smoker. I think if you clear this up and go with one or the other, the poem would be more concise and to the point. Personally, I think you should take the references to "You" out altogether because it makes it sound like you're up on a high horse. If that's what you want, go for it, but I personally found that a little off-putting, especially the line, "I bet you'd light up in front of St. Peter's face."

Here's one I wrote the other day. Comments appreciated:

Maturescent

I whistled,
As I plunged the shovel in the earth.
The notes,
Melodious in the air,
Contorting around my labour,
Lifted the burden of work from my mind.

Now I dig with a backhoe,
Large, yellow and serious.
We gouge-out a grave for the notes,
Shot from the air by the pandemonium of machinery.

First of all, thank you for your thanks :) I wasn't really sure of the reaction I'd get if I posted my poem here.

Well, with the "thinner" thing, I figured it wasn't the most accurate word. But, when smoking a cig, it DOES gets thinner in a way. By thinner, I meant that the cigarette decreases in mass and size. It's not the most accurate of descriptions, but it describes how I felt. You are right, though, in the sense that I choose that word because it rhymes with winner.

For the second point.... I'm going to be honest here. I originally posted this poem on Facebook. And I have many friends that would be offended if I made this poem as to solely indicate that I was the only smoker I was talking about. So, by writing "you," I thought that I might redirect the "blame" onto others, as opposed to only myself. If I were to only post it here, I would change it to only represent one viewpoint, as opposed to all the "you's" and "I's."

As for your poem, I like it! But, I fear I am not knowledgeable to know what you are talking about. Why do you dig with a backhoe in the second stanza, if you have machinery? Why is it yellow?

• Locked thread