Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

PopetasticPerson posted:

Having recently finished the series again, for seriously like the 5th time, is there anything else remotely like it? I attempted to get into Black Sails but failed due mostly to my constantly comparing it to Spartacus. The best part of this show was easily the dialog, but that and the fights, tits, characterization, and moral complexity combined into the most loving awesome thing...I'm willing to settle for 3 out of 5, if such a thing exists that I haven't already seen. Make recommendation and find it well received, to harden flaccid spirit as virgin cock in a brothel.

:razz:

Deadwood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Spartacus is good for what it is, but Deadwood's really working in a whole different realm. That said, if you liked Spartacus mostly because of Batiatus's role and the fun linguistic syntax of the dialogue, you'll probably dig it.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 17, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I would recommend against watching Vikings. It's ok, but it's really more of a low budget Game of Thrones knock off. The dialog is bad, the character motivations are non-existent, and the fights are terrible.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I would recommend against watching Vikings. It's ok, but it's really more of a low budget Game of Thrones knock off. The dialog is bad, the character motivations are non-existent, and the fights are terrible.

you have bad opinions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiXZlv3vKw

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what a motherfucker lmao

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That was a distinct high point.

The show has it's moments for sure. But it's OK at best.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PopetasticPerson posted:

Having recently finished the series again, for seriously like the 5th time, is there anything else remotely like it? I attempted to get into Black Sails but failed due mostly to my constantly comparing it to Spartacus. The best part of this show was easily the dialog, but that and the fights, tits, characterization, and moral complexity combined into the most loving awesome thing...I'm willing to settle for 3 out of 5, if such a thing exists that I haven't already seen. Make recommendation and find it well received, to harden flaccid spirit as virgin cock in a brothel.

I always saw Spartacus as a commentary on power and ownership, that, along with killer dialogue makes me want to recommend Mad Men. I know, I know, business men in bars barking about advertising isn't exactly a flaming sword and net, but there really isn't a show comparable that is so effective on showing how power and influence actually works.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

Deakul posted:

Black Sails and Spartacus' similarities start and end with them being on the same network really.

I'd echo what everyone else recommended in the past: Banshee and Strike Back, they're extremely violent, vulgar, sex filled, and have a great story to tell.
Otherwise, I don't know, Spartacus is in a league of its own really.

You could give Vikings and The Last Kingdom a shot, they're not as over the top as Spartacus but they're good period TV!

I'll check those out. I've seen Mad Men and Deadwood already, as well as Rome. Spartacus does manage to top all 3 in my book (only falling short of Breaking Bad, really) although Rome and Deadwood both would stand a much better chance had they actually been finished. To add something of note to the discussion, despite all 5 of my viewings of the whole shebang, I managed to miss what's probably the best line of the series on each occasion...two Pit patrons engaging in idle banter and amateur commentary managed to slip in a somber and completely serious "He stands no man, but a demon, belched from the oval office of the underworld!"

I literally broke down and almost wept, for days after I would devolve into giggles imagining John Madden spouting that off after a nasty tackle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I always saw Spartacus as a commentary on power and ownership, that, along with killer dialogue makes me want to recommend Mad Men. I know, I know, business men in bars barking about advertising isn't exactly a flaming sword and net, but there really isn't a show comparable that is so effective on showing how power and influence actually works.

Every now and then I recommend Spartacus to my friends who like Downton, since it's got such a power upstairs/downstairs dynamic. :v:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

https://twitter.com/CapIsTweeting/status/712909870316388352

COCK. STATUS. RAGING.

(check out who liked that tweet)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

PopetasticPerson posted:

Banshee for the fights, tits and dialog?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'd say The Shield, its got that manic pace, the twists, bad people who think they're good people, constant violence. None of the boobies but you get similar intensity. Vikings like was mentioned was pretty decent. Deadwood nudity is usually depressing but its a great show.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I had to unfollow Liam on twitter for the moment. The combination of him tweeting about his card game and retweeting the card game's account made my feed nigh unreadable for a while.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also the Walking Dead is an entirely different show and has crazy amounts of slog but it's similar in that it has bunch of desperate people band together and by some point everyone is a brutal killing machine willing to eliminate even the slightest threat to the group without hesitation. Also it has about the same amount of blood and gore although again, very different.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

Goofballs posted:

I'd say The Shield, its got that manic pace, the twists, bad people who think they're good people, constant violence. None of the boobies but you get similar intensity. Vikings like was mentioned was pretty decent. Deadwood nudity is usually depressing but its a great show.

The Shield really was excellent and probably has one of the best endings of any show. It's very similar now that I think about it, but I wouldn't have came up with it on my own I don't think. It's got the moral complexity in spades, though, and I can easily forgive the lack of boobs. Walking Dead not so much, though I appreciate the recommendation.

House of Cards has a lot of similar complexity and a lot of intricate political maneuvering, and Frank's characterization follows Batiatus' pretty closely in terms of his slow transition from admirable underdog to prredeemably vile while retaining some part of your affection the whole way.

Another aspect of Spartacus I'd like to see elsewhere is that burning sense of pride you get in your chest in the season finales, or when everyone is thanking him towards the end. I can't think of any examples from other shows off the top of my head, but I know I've seen it before.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DarkCrawler posted:

Also the Walking Dead is an entirely different show and has crazy amounts of slog but it's similar in that it has bunch of desperate people band together and by some point everyone is a brutal killing machine willing to eliminate even the slightest threat to the group without hesitation. Also it has about the same amount of blood and gore although again, very different.

It's also not even remotely good.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Banshee is the closest to Spartacus by far, great characters doing incredible violence and sex to each other at a crazy pace

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Banshee is probably as close as we'll get but it's really far from being as cleverly written as Spartacus.

Deakul posted:

It's also not even remotely good.
Could've been worse, it's not Arrow.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

your opinions are as good as the gods ramming cock in arse

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You'll note that nowhere did I say that Walking Dead is a good show. It empirically is not.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
TWD is however pretty fun. The source material doesn't exactly have Shakespearian qualities to it so I think the showrunners are doing an alright job all things considered.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Keito posted:

TWD is however pretty fun. The source material doesn't exactly have Shakespearian qualities to it so I think the showrunners are doing an alright job all things considered.

Agreed.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

It's a 6 season show about zombies, it's fine for what it is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Keito posted:

Yeah, it's really fun to watch bad actors for 6 seasons deliver bad lines and make terrible decisions while occasionally fighting zombies and nearly dying but not really cause the show has no balls and has to make zombies a boring plot device whose lethality ebbs and flows with the plot requirements.

I will admit that I mostly liked the very first season but it went to poo poo by the finale and then Season 2 had them looking for a little girl while stuck on a lovely farm for the entire season to reveal the twist everyone knew was coming from the episode she went missing.

And then I hate-watched it for season 3; governor was kind of fun but Michonne was terrible, and a little bit of season 4 before finally dropping it.

Its only saving grace is that the zombies are really well made and the gore can be pretty fun, you have to deal with every lovely thing in between though.

Seriously, don't watch The Walking Dead, hell, the showrunners even said that they have no loving end in sight.
I love watching shows without any narrative plans!

Sorry, I'm really loving sour about it cause I was insanely excited for it back in the day due to loving most of the source material.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 27, 2016

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

it's fine lol

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keito posted:

my favorite part of TWD was the season where they were stuck in a country house doing nothing and then left to do another season where they were stuck in another building doing nothing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Deakul posted:

Yeah, it's really fun to watch bad actors for 6 seasons deliver bad lines and make terrible decisions while occasionally fighting zombies and nearly dying but not really cause the show has no balls and has to make zombies a boring plot device whose lethality ebbs and flows with the plot requirements.

I will admit that I mostly liked the very first season but it went to poo poo by the finale and then Season 2 had them looking for a little girl while stuck on a lovely farm for the entire season to reveal the twist everyone knew was coming from the episode she went missing.

And then I hate-watched it for season 3; governor was kind of fun but Michonne was terrible, and a little bit of season 4 before finally dropping it.

Its only saving grace is that the zombies are really well made and the gore can be pretty fun, you have to deal with every lovely thing in between though.

Seriously, don't watch The Walking Dead, hell, the showrunners even said that they have no loving end in sight.
I love watching shows without any narrative plans!

Sorry, I'm really loving sour about it cause I was insanely excited for it back in the day due to loving most of the source material.

The autism is strong in this one.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

vyst posted:

Sorry I insulted your favorite tv show. :qq:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

vyst posted:

These words have lost all meaning.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahahaha... piss off with your WD troubles.

This thread is about cocks

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

One of the cool things about Spartacus was it had a definitive end in mind they knew when to end it.

The Walking Dead feels like it will meander on for 20 years.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

nooneofconsequence posted:

One of the cool things about Spartacus was it had a definitive end in mind they knew when to end it.

There's this old Elmore Leonard advice about writing - leave out the boring parts. One of the things I love about Spartacus is that, with the exception of some slow turns in season 2, they do exactly that.

I really should watch that second season again. I was pretty down on it the first time, but most of that was from losing Andy Whitfield and John Hannah and the intimacy of the ludus.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

3Romeo posted:

There's this old Elmore Leonard advice about writing - leave out the boring parts. One of the things I love about Spartacus is that, with the exception of some slow turns in season 2, they do exactly that.

I really should watch that second season again. I was pretty down on it the first time, but most of that was from losing Andy Whitfield and John Hannah and the intimacy of the ludus.

I felt the exact same way and actually dropped the show for a couple years midway through Vengeance for those reasons.

After coming back to it, Vengeance very much stands on its own as excellent television. My only complaints being that from season 2 onward Spartacus becomes an invincible God with infallible judgment. Liam also doesn't really sell vulnerability very well, and Spartacus becomes more boring as a result. It doesn't help that his entire arc culminates at the end of season 2, leaving him to go nowhere with his character for the entire final season.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

God Hole posted:

I felt the exact same way and actually dropped the show for a couple years midway through Vengeance for those reasons.

After coming back to it, Vengeance very much stands on its own as excellent television. My only complaints being that from season 2 onward Spartacus becomes an invincible God with infallible judgment. Liam also doesn't really sell vulnerability very well, and Spartacus becomes more boring as a result. It doesn't help that his entire arc culminates at the end of season 2, leaving him to go nowhere with his character for the entire final season.

He's not exactly invincible, most of season 2 is him leading his little gang around Italy without a loving clue what he's doing, and he gets himself into some pretty tight spots that he only escapes from because the Romans underestimate him. The first couple episodes with the sewers, the brothel, trying to save Varro's wife, Vesuvius...etc. He is a bit ridiculous in the fights, though, if that's what you meant. Crassus also manages to out-smart him about half the time once he shows up, the capture of his wretched little whelp not withstanding. I'll give you that Andy was better with the emotional inner turmoil bits. It must be said, though, that the bits early on with Varro's wife were pretty loving great and he also had some nice moments with Illythia.

Liam wins hands down in terms of doing just ridiculous and loving spectacular poo poo, though. When he yanked Tiberius off of his horse by the cape, I whooped out loud alone in my apartment. Every time the camera cut to him whimpering in the cave waiting on his turn my cock raged a little bit. He also stabs a dude's eyeballs out from the back of his head, blows up an arena full of (mostly) innocent civilians, assaults Glaber in a public square in broad daylight, counter's Crassus' fatality (with a full parry), smashes a Roman head in with their eagle standard, executes prisoners ad gladium, and crosses a fortified ditch by filling it with frozen corpses.

While the #1 spot is almost certainly Whitfield literally flying through the air to feed some Aedile or whatever a good foot of sharp steel, Liam manages to get 7 or 8 of the rest of the top 10. Some of those may be instead (perhaps in spite) of better character development after he took over...but I'd say it was worth it. Once you adjust your mental image of Spartacus to the new actor and he's able to piggy back off of season 1 more easily, adding a few dashes of badassery here and there, he's still compelling. His farewell speeches both before and after the battle cement that fact pretty well for me.

edit: Also, I started Banshee. Good call on that guys, after 2 episodes I'm already feeling like my desires will be well satisfied fairly soon. That thing with the bus in the first few minutes was loving ludicrous.

PopetasticPerson fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2016

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

PopetasticPerson posted:

He's not exactly invincible, most of season 2 is him leading his little gang around Italy without a loving clue what he's doing, and he gets himself into some pretty tight spots that he only escapes from because the Romans underestimate him. The first couple episodes with the sewers, the brothel, trying to save Varro's wife, Vesuvius...etc. He is a bit ridiculous in the fights, though, if that's what you meant. Crassus also manages to out-smart him about half the time once he shows up, the capture of his wretched little whelp not withstanding. I'll give you that Andy was better with the emotional inner turmoil bits. It must be said, though, that the bits early on with Varro's wife were pretty loving great and he also had some nice moments with Illythia.

Liam wins hands down in terms of doing just ridiculous and loving spectacular poo poo, though. When he yanked Tiberius off of his horse by the cape, I whooped out loud alone in my apartment. Every time the camera cut to him whimpering in the cave waiting on his turn my cock raged a little bit. He also stabs a dude's eyeballs out from the back of his head, blows up an arena full of (mostly) innocent civilians, assaults Glaber in a public square in broad daylight, counter's Crassus' fatality (with a full parry), smashes a Roman head in with their eagle standard, executes prisoners ad gladium, and crosses a fortified ditch by filling it with frozen corpses.

While the #1 spot is almost certainly Whitfield literally flying through the air to feed some Aedile or whatever a good foot of sharp steel, Liam manages to get 7 or 8 of the rest of the top 10. Some of those may be instead (perhaps in spite) of better character development after he took over...but I'd say it was worth it. Once you adjust your mental image of Spartacus to the new actor and he's able to piggy back off of season 1 more easily, adding a few dashes of badassery here and there, he's still compelling. His farewell speeches both before and after the battle cement that fact pretty well for me.

edit: Also, I started Banshee. Good call on that guys, after 2 episodes I'm already feeling like my desires will be well satisfied fairly soon. That thing with the bus in the first few minutes was loving ludicrous.

Oh man, episode 3 is a treat in brutality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

3Romeo posted:

It also had great pacing with big developments and plot twists happening in each episode.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
To be fair, Spartacus had the advantage of the whole outline of the story basically being written long before they made the show. And they knew it was a successful framework due to Spartacus books and films etc. regularly being successful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh man, episode 3 is a treat in brutality.

is that the one with the fight with the MMA guy, I've only seen that scene and it's pretty gnarly

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

is that the one with the fight with the MMA guy, I've only seen that scene and it's pretty gnarly

Yeah...brutality is the perfect word for it. I don't think I've seen anything more gruesome on a screen before. They did this with very little blood and no weapons. I was actually shocked, then shocked even more by my being shocked at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The first season of Banshee just ups the violence so much. So many times I thought that show had hit the upper limit of absolute carnage and then in the next episode it would just get worse.

Regarding the quality of the characters I feel like it is really inconsistent. Sometimes they do or say something that feels so hamfisted and forced, and then at other times there will be this extremely powerful, extremely subtle moment of characterisation.

• Locked thread