Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got the impression is was a blood letting ritual he's developed... Yeah i'm gonna have to deal with Gannicus and now Brad Ceasar getting SWMBO all hot and bothered. More sex for me, I LOVE YOU STARZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ahh! That sounds right since I think he said something about cleaning up for home. It sounds horrifying but I have no idea what answer wouldn't be. God bless penicillin.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

limeincoke posted:

The slow-motion shot of the slave-girl looking at Gannicus like she wanted to gently caress him right after he killed her Dominus was hilarious.

The music changed and everything for that but who can blame her, it's hard not to fall in love with Gannicus.

This season is awesome so far, the only complaint I have is that it needs more Lugo dialogue scenes.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
That choke slam to axe slice was the highlight kill for me, not digging Brad Caesar though. Also this episode gave me the impression that they're going to start blurring the line between the lovely stuff each side does to the point where they're not that much different. Spartacus killing that one dude was weak and I like his wife.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Ahh! That sounds right since I think he said something about cleaning up for home. It sounds horrifying but I have no idea what answer wouldn't be. God bless penicillin.

Goddamn that is creepy...I thought it was some weird bdsm thing on the first watch through, but yeah the genital warts thing makes sense given what he said.

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

That choke slam to axe slice was the highlight kill for me, not digging Brad Caesar though. Also this episode gave me the impression that they're going to start blurring the line between the lovely stuff each side does to the point where they're not that much different. Spartacus killing that one dude was weak and I like his wife.

I actually came away with the opposite impression--the fall of the city seemed fairly sanitized to me. I am not familiar with the history of the war in granular enough detail to know if that city actually fell as described, but I have a strong inkling that if it did, literally everyone got raped.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
Everyone keeps saying the actor that plays Caesar reminds them of Brad Pitt but I think the resemblance is closer to the guy that played Vaughn in Community.

Which makes it really hard to take him seriously because I expected him to speak like a surferbro and break into song with 'Tiberius you're a B'.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I assume the aedile's wife is going to be the one in command since Spartacus put a spear through his mouth?

Pretty sure with some trimming and some TV magic (well makeup, not CGI), the actor playing Caesar could look pretty close to the busts they have of him, you know, give a take 20 years or so. The Crassus they have looks close enough to me that I'm pretty sure they were somewhat conscious about getting someone to look like the busts we all know (or can google at a moment's notice). A bit more buff than I was expecting, but then again this is Spartacus we're talking about.

I dunno if it's counter-ironic, but Caesar was an ironic nickname his peers gave him because Caesar himself wasn't that hairy, and lo-and-behold, here he is sporting a beard and Crassus won't let him shave it, which was something.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Would that make sense? Crassus' wife got upset with her husband going to war since it meant he could be gone for months or years. Caesar just signed on to go with him, so why would he 'clean up' for home with that sort of timeline ahead of him too?

I think the dude just likes a little cbt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tiberius referred to his pleasures. Pretty sure it'll be some sexual thing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sober posted:

I assume the aedile's wife is going to be the one in command since Spartacus put a spear through his mouth?

In command of what?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Wandle Cax posted:

In command of what?

The Rythym Nation

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sober posted:

I dunno if it's counter-ironic, but Caesar was an ironic nickname his peers gave him because Caesar himself wasn't that hairy, and lo-and-behold, here he is sporting a beard and Crassus won't let him shave it, which was something.

It wasn't a nickname, it's his father's name. It was a moniker given to one of his ancestors though, but by the time ol' Gaius came along it was official.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The new season is pretty impressive in terms of taking the scale of things to the next level but some compelling aspects of what made the original so compelling are lost.

Instead of focusing on the characters there's a great focus on massive set piece battles and the feeling that individuals players don't matter as much since everything is on a much bigger scale now.

For example characters such as Crixus who were pretty interesting in the first season/Gods the Area sort of feel like afterthoughts in the overall plot since they no longer have a interesting plot arc to drive character development in the season or a chance to create conflicts.

Even though season 2 was certainly bigger scale it was still blended in much better than the new season since the band of characters was pretty compact and you still had lots of interesting ludus-like scheming the background for things such as Ashur trying to climb the last rung of the ladder.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
It's probably just me but I think it would be cool if the pronounced Caesar correctly for the time. Every since New Vegas I want them to say 'Kaiser' instead, small things like that would be awesome for immersion. Then again if Rome didn't do it, Spartacus certainly won't.

Also I think it's about time they have the Spartacus crew slaughtering innocent people. They were the other side of the Roman coin and just as vicious, sadly I just think it's just the show runners setting the audience up for the inevitable. Making the crucifixion road seem less gut wrenching when it happens.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

etalian posted:

The new season is pretty impressive in terms of taking the scale of things to the next level but some compelling aspects of what made the original so compelling are lost.

Instead of focusing on the characters there's a great focus on massive set piece battles and the feeling that individuals players don't matter as much since everything is on a much bigger scale now.

For example characters such as Crixus who were pretty interesting in the first season/Gods the Area sort of feel like afterthoughts in the overall plot since they no longer have a interesting plot arc to drive character development in the season or a chance to create conflicts.

Even though season 2 was certainly bigger scale it was still blended in much better than the new season since the band of characters was pretty compact and you still had lots of interesting ludus-like scheming the background for things such as Ashur trying to climb the last rung of the ladder.

That's always the way for the first couple of episodes of the season though, the focus on setting up the conflicts and introducing the new characters, then three or four episodes in they crank it up and we get all the cool character work. Seriously, don't worry about Crixus as there's some awesome stuff that's going to happen surrounding him.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

etalian posted:

I think this also a side effect of DeKnight cramming everything into one final season. What's being covered this season I had originally imagined over at least 2 seasons from what I read of the history, so... there you go.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

SneakySneaks posted:

It's probably just me but I think it would be cool if the pronounced Caesar correctly for the time. Every since New Vegas I want them to say 'Kaiser' instead, small things like that would be awesome for immersion. Then again if Rome didn't do it, Spartacus certainly won't.
The problem with that is, if you're going to pull it off well, you actually need to be consistent with it all the time. If you don't, it's probably going to come off as gimmicky and half-assed. So you need to have every character's name and all places pronounced with historically accurate inflections, and after a little while it gets confusing because it means 90% of viewers have to translate what they heard to what's familiar (who ever talks about Kickero?) and it's way, way more trouble than it's worth.

It worked in New Vegas because it was just a dude named Caesar and a handful of Roman vocabulary and terminology, and any slip-ups or inconsistincies could be waved off because they were post-apocalyptic survivors who collectively know gently caress-all about ancient Latin. You end up having to be a lot more anal retentive to make it work in an actual Roman setting, and it's not easy on the audience.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This was a cool episode, just like the last one. :allears:

This season is shaping up to be spectacular

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

etalian posted:

I enjoyed season two, but not as much as the first (or the prequel), and I know this ain't cool, but I do kinda have to disagree a little.

I loved the upstairs/downstairs approach in B&S and GotA, but I also felt it was a needed evil to expand the series to a larger scope, since it becomes more about the Third Servile War. I didn't really feel like the second season handled that all that well--it brought it villains like Egyptor (who was Ankherin for a fight), but they weren't all that well developed, so when Onomaeus went down to a dude I didn't much care about, it kind of felt forced.

This season, in contrast, is widening the vision in a good way. Everyone's together, they're doing some pretty cool poo poo, and Crassus is shaping up to be an antagonist in the Batiatus vein--he's someone you like enough to at least root for a little. (Caesar, though, I'm gonna withhold judgement on. I didn't like him much in this episode, but maybe he'll do something cool later on.)

All that being said, I'm pretty sure there is some loving awesome poo poo that's gonna go down in this season. Pretty massive historical spoilers (seriously don't read this): I know Crixus dies, and I know that Spartacus has enslaved Romans fight to the death in his memory, and I absolutely cannot wait to see how that plays out. Also I want to see Crucifixion Alley. Mostly, though, I want to know what they do with the ending. In the old movie, Spartacus ends up nailed, but--according to Wikipedia, at least--Spartacus' body was never found. I really hope they pull off something awesome with that ambiguity.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Awesome season so far!
I loved how the writers hosed with your head by having you get to know a few of the innocents who die as a result of Spartacus' taking of the city. Blurring the lines between good guy and bad guy.
I'm guessing this is going to get dark fast.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I really like Brad Caesar, it's a nice change from the typical depections of him later in life.

For anyone interested in the history side of things and the wider political picture at the time, there's an awesome podcast called Hardcore History which has an extended six part series called "The Death Throes of the Republic", and a couple of the episodes go into a lot of detail about Caesar and his contemporaries, what the Roman world looked like when they entered it and how they affected it. It only touches on the third servile war in passing, there's maybe a few minutes devoted to it, but the context it gives you for a series like Spartacus is awesome

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive for anyone interested

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

But at least for a majority of the old characters there's no compelling arc to keep them interesting since many of the leads such as Crixus reuniting with Naevia got wrapped in Season 2.

It's why DeKnight decided to kill off Oenomaus in the 2nd season.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

etalian posted:

It's why DeKnight decided to kill off Oenomaus in the 2nd season.

Oenomaus dies around that time historically as well. So it made sense to wrap it there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fatkraken posted:

I really like Brad Caesar, it's a nice change from the typical depections of him later in life.

For anyone interested in the history side of things and the wider political picture at the time, there's an awesome podcast called Hardcore History which has an extended six part series called "The Death Throes of the Republic", and a couple of the episodes go into a lot of detail about Caesar and his contemporaries, what the Roman world looked like when they entered it and how they affected it. It only touches on the third servile war in passing, there's maybe a few minutes devoted to it, but the context it gives you for a series like Spartacus is awesome

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive for anyone interested

Holy poo poo thank you for this. Looks like for the next couple of weeks I will have something fun to listen to at work and on the train.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo thank you for this. Looks like for the next couple of weeks I will have something fun to listen to at work and on the train.

It looks like its behind a paywall now, but Hardcore History also did a good three part series on the Punic Wars (the wars against Carthage). It's well before the time of Spartacus, but its interesting nonetheless.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Yeah, I'd rather watch this new approach with Caesar, plus we already have one Roman antagonist who's cold-blooded, super competent and pragmatic in Crassus, so the traditional depiction of Caesar would have been too similar to that imo.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 2, 2013

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

savinhill posted:

Yeah, I'd rather watch this new approach with Caesar, plus we already have one Roman antagonist who's cold-blooded, super competent and pragmatic in Crassus, so the traditional depiction of Caesar would have been too similar to that imo.

I like to think that this is where Caesar picks up the ability for dignified diplomacy and politics. It's well established that he's a competent warrior and a brilliant strategist, but he Crassus can be the one that mentors the other half to make him a Roman power house.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'm just bummed we won't get to see the "Alea iacta est" version of Caesar in this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gonz posted:

I'm just bummed we won't get to see the "Alea iacta est" version of Caesar in this show.

We might if we get the spinoff. Man a Gaul War in the style of Spartacus would be amazing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

We might if we get the spinoff. Man a Gaul War in the style of Spartacus would be amazing.

I'd watch the everloving poo poo out of that show. Then i'd go back and watch it again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

savinhill posted:

Agreed, it's a nice change from the usual Old, Wise Politician that he's normally portrayed as. There's already been plenty of those on this show, including Crassus, so it's nice to have almost a counterpart to Spartacus on the Roman side, even if he's basically playing Brad Pitt as Achilles from that one movie.

Also Crassus's wife looks so much like Ilithyia, which just reminds me that Viva Bianca isn't on the show anymore and then I get sad :(

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
That's the only thing I'm missing so far is those awesome scheming women. I had so much invested in Ilythia and Lucretia and so far no one has stepped up to fill those shoes. Crassus' slave/lover seems cool in a genuine way and I liked how Crassus treated her like a person not just property, further blurring the line on each side.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So Caesar's basically Thor? Awesome. That goes for the rest of the episode. There really is nothing else on TV that floods your brain with as many gently caress yeah moments. When people talk about going to see something to turn off their minds just to watch spectacle, I'm going to point to this show and laugh at them. There's a lot of brains (muddying up the main protaganist the way this episode did is pretty much impossible in mainstream action cinema these days) in the kickass the show regularly doles out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Marcus Licinius Crassus & Gaius Julius Caesar: Best Friends Forever

Whatcha gonna do when Legionmania runs wild on YOU, brother?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gonz posted:

Marcus Licinius Crassus & Gaius Julius Caesar: Best Friends Forever

Whatcha gonna do when Legionmania runs wild on YOU, brother?

I heard that Caesar gave Crassus a gold metal with BFF on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe I missed it but was there an explanation as to why Crassus didn't want Caesar to cut his hair and shave his beard in a more "Roman" style?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe I missed it but was there an explanation as to why Crassus didn't want Caesar to cut his hair and shave his beard in a more "Roman" style?

I think its sort of an insult towards him. That they do not think of him as a proper Roman due to his time with the pirates and being out of Rome.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

limeincoke posted:

Starz should have done a better job of promoting the fact that they cast Brad Pitt as Caesar.

The slow-motion shot of the slave-girl looking at Gannicus like she wanted to gently caress him right after he killed her Dominus was hilarious.

What was that slave cutting on Caesar?

I assumed he was shaving his balls :v:

Amazing start so far. Caesar looks promising (and he's ridiculously pretty :allears:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dammit, now all I can see is Crassus using his C.R.A.S.S.U.S. System to get chicks.

Mans posted:

I assumed he was shaving his balls :v:

Amazing start so far. Caesar looks promising (and he's ridiculously pretty :allears:)

That is definitely not the right way to shave one's balls. :stonk:

• Locked thread