Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did decimation really happen like that? It seemed overly cruel to beat the guys to death with those little wooden clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Did decimation really happen like that? It seemed overly cruel to beat the guys to death with those little wooden clubs.

Yes the show is historically accurate for the brutal decimation scene, soldiers getting the bad luck during the decimation were slowly beaten to death with clubs.

Deciding who live or died was determined by drawing lots for each group of 10 soldiers in the legion.

The practice eventually stopped being used since it was both wasteful for manpower and also ran the risk of destroying morale for things such as forcing friends to kill each other.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 23, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The clubathon was brutal

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Man, rock paper scissors was hardcore back in the day.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
God drat this show owns so much. There's nothing like it on television these days.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Well I for one won't be signing up for any roman legions now that's for drat sure. Furthermore everyone else can die but Gannicus had better ride off into the sunset singing songs about his cock, history be damned.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I just want Crassus' son to get a gory and painful death. As far as I know, the son that dies against the Parthians is Publius right? And he also had another son with the same name as well. So this Tiberius is a fictionnal character right? So...he's fair game as far as this series go. I can't wait.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Athropos posted:

God drat this show owns so much. There's nothing like it on television these days.

Has there ever been a show like this? I mean god drat, this the most brutal thing I've ever seen. It's like unironic kill bill.

Anyway, naevia is turning out to be a real bitch.

10bux fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 23, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Naevia is #1 on my stab list now. Crassus' son has gone down because god drat is decimation brutal. But Naevia and the other bloodthirsty rebels are going to gently caress everything up soon.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Naevia is #1 on my stab list now. Crassus' son has gone down because god drat is decimation brutal. But Naevia and the other bloodthirsty rebels are going to gently caress everything up soon.

Man I am right there with you. She was my #2 to die after killing Attius last week but since Tiberius was forced to beat his gay lover life long friend to death (loving brutally) and Naevia took a rock to Gannicus' head she needs to burn. Or be crucified. To the actress' credit however I sure as poo poo can't see the original Naevia being as hosed up and full of rage as the current incarnation. I've never been a huge fan of Crixus since he's always been a cock for no other reason than he just wants to be. Case in point: "I would see belly filled with the blood of Romans." That might have worked when the rebellion was like 8 dudes hiding in a sewer but at this point logistics are as important as tactics. It just feels like he hasn't grown at all as a character since the last time he nearly starved to death at Vesuvius, and without the pirates they'd be equally as hosed here, perhaps even more so since Crassus sure as poo poo isn't Glaber.

This week's award for creepy sex scene is awarded to Crassus and Kore!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Also I totally thought Spartacus was going to trade the hostages out for more food or something so them going on a brutal killing spree was twice as bad.

But I can't help but like Julius Caesar, scruffy commando with a heart of gold.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
It was pretty awesome to see Gannicus go for both a gogoplata and a kimura during his little grappling exchange with Crixus.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm kind of on Crassus' side after this episode. I mean, decimation was brutal, but hey, you run away in battle back then, you pretty much know something like that was gonna happen.

Also half of Spartacus' camp can straight-up die now too as far as I'm concerned, including Crixus. Can the series just end with Spartacus and Gannicus somehow slipping away? Let everyone else burn for all I care.

I like Caesar. Can't blame a guy for doing his job.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Caesar is indeed the SEAL with a heart of gold I was suprised to see that kind of a reaction from him in that scene, though I'd probably be the same way given how hosed up that girl was. The decimation scene wasn't the first "holy gently caress" I muttered during the episode, it was when that woman lifted her hand and had like half her finger nails torn out. Caesar went from a cool badass to really awesome dude with that scene. Of course if he kills Gannicus then he'll rocket up to the top of my "kill that fucker" list in a hurry. My only comment (and this isn't bad just an observation) is that I can't see this Caesar letting a bunch of dudes stab him in the back, so I choose to believe in this version of history Caesar kills Brutus and everyone else and rules over Rome forever. Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.

Watching Gannicus nearly kill the poo poo out of Crixus was really good and a reminder that he was kicking the poo poo out of things when Crixus was just a poo poo eating stone hauler. loving Gauls. I'm going to venture a guess that by the end of this we won't know whether or not Spartacus is dead since historically they never found his body. I suspect it will be left up to the viewer to decide but then who knows maybe Crassus is going to be shown to have a fatal flaw that gets him killed. The scene where Spartacus figures out he was manipulated into killing the two previous Roman commanders was really good.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2013

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
Caesar is a butt and hope he dies at the hands of..... let's see..... Nasir.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.

Agron's always been like that. He complains a lot and has a bad temper but when the poo poo is about to go down he's got Spartacus's back.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the people on the show are actually having sex during the sex scenes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Crazy episode.

The kid playing Tiberius is the worst actor they've had. Took 4 seasons, but they found a dud.

Can't wait for Naevia to die. Was hoping Saxa would take her out.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Another great episode, this season has really been awesome so far. I'm sad this will be the last one.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
That decimation sequence was nicely edited going between the two slaughters. Still a good but hosed up episode.

dynokill
Apr 20, 2004
As if I didn't hate Naevia enough as it was, watching her almost kill Gannicus really solidified it for me. I hope she gets raped one last time before her life ends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
I've finally caught back up after missing week 2 and 3's episodes so the week off gave me time to be up to date for tonight.

The points I've gathered thus far for the season are:

-Crassus's eyebrows cause me major stress. They are too.. light. Unless it's intentional and was a thing back thing, in which case, fine.
-Gannicus is still the broiest.
-Sometimes I think Saxa's accent/dialect swaps between the generic slave to her speaking english with her native accent. I can't remember where she is supposed to be from.
-Naevia needs to die. Preferably at the hands of a Roman.
-Caesar is awesome.

I'm excited to see the rest of the season after seeing the names of the remaining episodes.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I can see why they're thinking of a Caeser spin-off now. I also feel like an idiot for not guessing he was being kept rough-looking to infilrate the slave army.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is the dude playing the guy that Caesar befriended/tricked Robert Redford's son or something? I seriously can't not see him as that whenever he's in a scene and it's distracting as hell.

Great episode, although I wish that they took a little more time to plant the Crixus/Spartacus split seed. I liked that it was over something that had been an issue ever since they took the city, but I think it still feels a bit rushed considering earlier that day Spartacus talked about how Crixus would take over after him. Granted, massacring a bunch of prisoners directly against your orders is a pretty big incident so I wasn't too bothered by it. Really curious about where things will go from here, and just like everyone else I'm hoping they decide to just say gently caress it and completely break from history at the end.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

If they end up running with that Caesar spinoff they drat well better bring Crassus along too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The spinoff shall be Caesar & Crassus: Cool Dudes Forever, featuring a ton of highfives, lowfives, bloody blowjobs and slow motion decimations.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
How is every other woman in Spartacusville not preggers?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Caesar is indeed the SEAL with a heart of gold I was suprised to see that kind of a reaction from him in that scene, though I'd probably be the same way given how hosed up that girl was. The decimation scene wasn't the first "holy gently caress" I muttered during the episode, it was when that woman lifted her hand and had like half her finger nails torn out. Caesar went from a cool badass to really awesome dude with that scene. Of course if he kills Gannicus then he'll rocket up to the top of my "kill that fucker" list in a hurry. My only comment (and this isn't bad just an observation) is that I can't see this Caesar letting a bunch of dudes stab him in the back, so I choose to believe in this version of history Caesar kills Brutus and everyone else and rules over Rome forever. Agron is increasingly turning into a whiny bitch, I hope that slide doesn't continue but we'll see.

Actually if the whole 'Caesar takes a liking to Spartacus' theory pans out then it would make sense that a Caesar who takes all his leadership ques from Spartacus is taken down by a betrayal he isn't ruthless enough to see and deal with.

Totally called Crassus's son having to kill his best friend. Speaks wonders for the show that there was genuine suspense in the stone drawing scene though - only Crassus and Caesar have plot armour that keeps them truly safe.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Gonz posted:

The spinoff shall be Caesar & Crassus: Cool Dudes Forever, featuring a ton of highfives, lowfives, bloody blowjobs and slow motion decimations.

I wanna see the whole Caesar/Crassus/Popmey triumvirate story. That would be cool.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Grapplicus owns. Mounted gogoplata was right.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blinn posted:

I wanna see the whole Caesar/Crassus/Popmey triumvirate story. That would be cool.

The thing is that Crassus just acts as a stabilizing force in the tirumvirate. The spiral into civil war starts when he goes and gets himself killed marching a Roman army into a desert.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Blinn posted:

Screw politics, I want to see a Spartacus-style depiction of Caesar's campaigns in Gaul/Germania/Britain, with Vercingetorix/Ariovistus/Cassivellaunus cast appropriately as the main antagonists.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm so glad this show is back. I was worried after GotA and Season 2 that the show was slipping, but holy poo poo these last few episodes were as good as anything from the first season.

Science posted:

How is every other woman in Spartacusville not preggers?

Lots of oral, apparently.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo. I came in here to post about how hard it was to watch blondie bound and so hurt, but as I loaded the forums poo poo got even more hosed up. Very emotional episode. Jesus.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Good brutal episode. I always wanted to like Crixus and I did like Naevia in S1 but it seems now the showrunners are just determined to make me want them dead

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

A Caesar spinoff about his conquest in Gaul would be the best thing ever. Vercingetorix was a pretty interesting dude and would be a great series long enemy of Caesar, while also filling the role of the story's hero.

Then they would devote half of the final season to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia and i would sacrifice many goat's to the gods.

Did anyone notice Saxa's childlike glee when she is told to decapitate the (already dead)roman infiltrator? She looks so happy :v:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Well I for one won't be signing up for any roman legions now that's for drat sure. Furthermore everyone else can die but Gannicus had better ride off into the sunset singing songs about his cock, history be damned.

drat rights. I was pretty worried he was dead due to the rock to the head

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I keep seeing spinoffs mentioned in this thread, what is the realistic chance that we'd get something set in this universe by the same producers? I assume the show is popular enough that they'd at least want to milk this for all its worth.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think if they could get Caesar and co. liked enough by the audience they would have no trouble selling a sequel. It would give them more ridiculous Roman politicking to play around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

In an episode with so much brutality it was nice to have a moment of laughter with Gannicus responding with a confused "huh?" when his girlfriend was ranting in her native tongue.

• Locked thread