Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

dreffen posted:

Well, that's how Slade sees it anyway. No, that's not how it is in reality but he's also not stable by that point.

I thought Sarah left because she had to, due to making a deal with the League. It was not due to her loving killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Sarah left because she had to, due to making a deal with the League. It was not due to her loving killing.

She doesn't love killing, she left because she suddenly remembered she's a bad person that kills people and doesn't want to be around Oliver or some lame rear end poo poo like that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As much as i love this thread, why is Arrow still under discussion in here when the arrow thread is still active?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

As much as i love this thread, why is Arrow still under discussion in here when the arrow thread is still active?

No clue, btw thread, thanks for recommending Banshee... tits within the first minute of the pilot and then a loving crazy chase sequence involving a tipped over double decker bus before the intro. God drat.

Also the gore is certainly a thing. :stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just you loving wait for the Albino. :aaaaa:

Also Rebecca... :dong:

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 29, 2014

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I thought i was in the wrong thread...

Anyways, What ever happened to the documentary about Andy? Did that come out, still in the works? Did the title have butterfly in it, or is that just the super sad thing he told his kids.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Documentary's not out. Every month or so, those that helped kickstart it get an email saying "We need your address to send you things and the film's going well." I'm not even sure anything is real anymore.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was a youtube update in September, asking for people to ask around at film festivals for them to screen it. I imagine it will be sooner rather than later.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I've never actually rewatched the whole series until now due to people I watch with needing captions that never seem to work for Vengeance/WotD, but holy poo poo is New Naevia even worse the second time through. I hope whatever casting agent responsible for her suffered Gannicus level crucifixion.

The worst part is Naevia's story would've been one of the best arcs of the show going from the demure innocence she started out as into being sadistic as poo poo but instead they had to get a bad actress who only knows how to perpetually scowl.

For all the cock raging on I'd remembered I'd forgotten some of the best things like the hilarious jumping. Just broke down laughing in the third season when Gannicus just jumps straight up for no reason. Not to dodge some leg attack, not even slightly forward or backwards, just straight up.

Rest in peace you jumping addict.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Liam is on Sex Nerd Sandra's podcast this week talking about being a handsome man. He claims to be a chubby computer nerd up until a few years ago. Find those pictures.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liams first short film.... 2007 first imdb credit. Looks exactly the same.

http://vimeo.com/24340910

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 13, 2014

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Liam no later than 2009, could be earlier, honing the remarkable agility and physicality he'd later bring to Spartacus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
#BringerOfNachoCheese

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
I've just binged through Spartacus and it was great to see a series come to such a solid conclusion. Any more episodes about tensions within the rebel army, or the need for food, or people being horrible shits in general, would have only watered it down.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bee tee dubs, the whole series is coming to Netflix next month.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Sad Rhino posted:

I've just binged through Spartacus and it was great to see a series come to such a solid conclusion. Any more episodes about tensions within the rebel army, or the need for food, or people being horrible shits in general, would have only watered it down.

I liked it more when it was limited to the Ludus--there was a lot more story instead of plot--but as final seasons go, Spartacus had one of the best.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

3Romeo posted:

I liked it more when it was limited to the Ludus--there was a lot more story instead of plot--but as final seasons go, Spartacus had one of the best.

When Spartacus stops Crassus' fatality in its tracks is one of the few times I've legit screamed at my TV as it happened.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, Spartacus just really pulled off that finale in a way which you almost never see anymore. The only show in recent years which had an in anyway comparably ending was Breaking Bad, everything else has just sorta petered out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Watching some of the scenes from the 3rd Hobbit movie made me need to watch Spartacus again, so I'm happy it's coming to Netflix. I definitely heard a few familiar Crixus noises during Azog scenes.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
I'm currently flipping between re-watching Spartacus and BSG, and also marathoned through Ascension yesterday. What I'm trying to say is that I want a 5th season of Spartacus with Tricia Helfer as the main female antagonist.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Spartacus is probably the best present Netflix could give me for my birthday, so I'm very amped.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah, Spartacus just really pulled off that finale in a way which you almost never see anymore. The only show in recent years which had an in anyway comparably ending was Breaking Bad, everything else has just sorta petered out.

I think that's because DeKnight and the rest of the writers are great at a fundamental trick of writing: the setup and the turn. They pulled it off over and over again. They weren't always successful, but when they were, holy poo poo.

Like, back in season one. The setup was that Spartacus would become the leader of the gladiators in the ludus. We all knew it was coming, because that's the story, right? The turn (the "but") was that he had to earn it. In those early episodes he kept loving things up for himself. He won the crowd but lost it. Earned the brand but got sent to the pit. He was willing to fight his way out (to a pretty :downs: sequence), but lost his will when Sura died. Then the writers did something particularly brilliant: they used the turn to get the story back on track. Spartacus was happy as the champion of the ludus, but then he was forced to kill Varro.

Anyway. If you look at the entire series (with the exception of Vengeance, which is more of a transition season in more ways than one), it's all set up on a series of completely organic turns--and even better, plays with with the audience's expectation of those turns. Like that fatality that Spacekablooie pointed out. It's set up in the opening episode of War of the Damned, the audience sees it coming...but Spartacus stops it. loving brilliant.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Watching some of the scenes from the 3rd Hobbit movie made me need to watch Spartacus again, so I'm happy it's coming to Netflix. I definitely heard a few familiar Crixus noises during Azog scenes.

Azog also makes the Crixus face

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah big time!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's out on netflix yes!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Jupiters cock this show.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Re watching the first season and Jesus Christ gently caress you Ashur. Time had dulled my memory of how big of a snake he was.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Re watching the first season and Jesus Christ gently caress you Ashur. Time had dulled my memory of how big of a snake he was.

He owned as a villain since after Gods of the Arena you really understood his messed up motivations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Ashur was the best. I loved him in season 1, especially his final scenes with Doctore. The man had two of them, very large.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yesssss. That bit when he points at his chest and says something like "every stone in this house bears the mark of Ashur" was awesome. Really humanized a great villain.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically a rear end in a top hat manipulator and survivor character similar to O'Reily in Oz.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ashur was a fantastic character.

The whole show was good but gota and blood and sand are really heads above seasons 2 and three for me. Just having everything take place in and around the ludus/house seemed to really focus in on things while I felt the larger scope of 2 and 3 allowed for more stuff but more sloppily executed at the same time.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
As much fun as the last two seasons were, there was a distinct lack of John Hannah chewing scenery with Roman curses,

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I think War of the Damned stands pretty well on its own thanks to Caesar and Crassus being pretty awesome antagonists.

Vengeance muddled through in part due to Liam (and the new Naevia) finding their roles, but also because I always felt Glaber to be the weakest villain of the show by far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kammat posted:

As much fun as the last two seasons were, there was a distinct lack of John Hannah chewing scenery with Roman curses,

In fairness, all visual media could use more of that.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Goddamn this show is so much better than Arrow. If someone aimed a gun at a roman slave they would get shot in the head and die, not dodge it for the hundredth time.

I don't know if it was their initial intention but Spartacus really made me appreciate a compact story and not a bunch of bullshit hodor black wolverine filler

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm totally poopsocking a rewatch. I love this show so much.

RIP Varro

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014

MVP posted:

I don't know if it was their initial intention but Spartacus really made me appreciate a compact story and not a bunch of bullshit hodor black wolverine filler
'Fans' are their own worst enemy in this regard - the sort of repetitive or pointless crap that they usually love ruins any chance of a series (taken as a whole) being great, but they just want more and more until it turns to bilge water (and they'll happily take that).

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

vyst posted:

I'm totally poopsocking a rewatch. I love this show so much.

RIP Varro

He's like the only reason Terminator might be watchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
God drat that was a fine way to end a series I got teary eyed for gannicus
Still I'm in the boat that Kill them all was a much better ending.

• Locked thread