Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
You can watch the first episode early and for free here: http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus/Videos/#/free-spartacus-war-of-the-damned-episode-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
How has no one mentioned how awesome Attius (ex-Roman blacksmith) is? Dude's hilarious.

"Tell me you've not brought the bringer of piss and poo poo to my loving door."
"Your legend precedes you."

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Welp, I wasn't wild about Naevia before, but I'm completely on board for her getting killed off in the near future. Attius was way more awesome in two episodes than she's been in the latest two seasons.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

This season sort of feels like the main guys regressing back to their previous natures now that the immediate alleges of the war are gone. Spartacus wrestles with the right and wrong of it all, Crixus reverts to an angry rear end in a top hat, Gannicus is weary of all the pointless pain this war brings, and Agron's just insecure and pissy.

All the characters have been pretty consistent throughout the series. Crixus was always a self-centered classist rear end in a top hat. It's just that thanks to Naevia, he's changed the classes from sworn Battiatus bros vs. people without the mark to all slaves vs. Romans. He always used to treat recruits such as Ashur like less valuable than piss and poo poo, and now he treats Romans the same.

In contrast, Spartacus has always been more about valuing individuals and ethics rather than any established order of things. He has always been plotting and scheming to get the better of people in his way while trying not to become everything his wife would've hated.

Aggron has always been loyal and overprotective of people he cares about. First his brother, and now Nassir. He even followed Spartacus around like a shadow in this part episode. I think his experience with Romans killing his brother has made him even more distrustful of anyone messing with people he cares about.

Someone else posted an awesome character summary of Gannicus earlier in this thread which really nailed his character being a self-loathing one ever since the beginning.

Only Naevia kind of changed, but she didn't really have much of a character in season 1 anyway. Fortunately I expect she'll die soon anyway. Jupiter's COCK, I really hope she dies soon.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
This show is great. One minute I loathe Tyberius for being a thickheaded, classist little poo poo toward Crassus's awesome gladiator slave, the next minute I sympathize with him for failing to impress his father and having to brutally murder his best friend because of it, and now I hate him again for raping the slave. All the while, I keep expecting him to die in every episode. He's a lovely person, but a better character than he's getting credit for.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't think it helps the Tiberius character that he's the worst actor on the show.

Naevia is still on this show. Then again, I'm not sure if her always trying to look fierce while being weaker than most is intentional.

R.I.P. Donar. I will miss his axe murders.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

savinhill posted:

That scene out-beheaded Ned for emotional impact, Tiberius has out-Joffreyed Joffrey with this latest episode, Caesar and Crassus are antagonists that I can't help but like in certain ways. Spartacus, you are what Game of Thrones should have been for me.

Tiberius is awful, but c'mon man, Joffrey has literally no redeeming qualities. At least you could sympathize with Tiberius when his friend died in decimation. Joffrey is just something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

the posted:

I have to wonder if the writers follow fan forums and whatnot and know that Lugo is a huge cult favorite and thus have put him in more and more rear end-kicking scenes.

They did joke about a Lugo spinoff at their ComicCon panel.

• Locked thread