Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I heard the thought was that most of the war was Spartacus beating different generals and armies before the rebellion was finally beaten by Marcus Crassus, so having more seasons would just be 'Spartacus beats Roman army, Spartacus beats slightly different Roman army, etc.' until Crassus showed up, with little drama to it. So they just decided to skip to Crassus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

He is my young Caesar. My old Caesar will be BRIAN BLESSED.
It may not have the violence of Rome/Spartacus but if you like court intrigue and batshit Romans watch I Claudius.

I wonder if we could get Quintus Blackadder in Rome with BRIAN BLESSED reprising this role.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh gently caress I am an idiot. He is my Caesar Augustus not Julius. Funny how I have young Augustus, adult Augustus, and old Augustus.

Eh, all good. I still want Roman Blackadder with Blessed as Julius.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

qbert posted:

So he rapes an innocent woman who tries to be kind to him?

Nah, he's a poo poo and should die.

Yep. According to history, when Crixus died, Spartacus captured Romans and forced them to fight in the arena in memory of Crixus. I DEMAND that this is how Tiberius dies.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

vyst posted:

From college girl/high school girl? to relatively middle age upper class housewife :staredog: and she's only 27.

Take note that she was only 23/24 when Cabin was filmed.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

maninacape posted:

Look at me talking way too much about this show.

That's a thing?

Awesome episode. Emotion. Speeches. Catharsis. Brutal kills. And most of all. Tiberius being humiliated and killed. I didn't mind his quick death so much, because he got to find out how he fared in single combat against even the weakest of Spartacus's inner circle, completely pulverising any pretensions he might have had towards being 'the one who beat the Undefeated Gaul'.

:black101: :black101: :black101: CRIXUS! :black101: :black101: :black101:

Bring on the finale, so we can wrap this series up in a nice bow. An admittedly girly image for this series, but hey. And bring on Spartacus: The Complete Series in a kickass fancy Blu-ray boxset.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SaltLick posted:

The excuse is that one guy earlier in the thread accidentally misspelled it and the rest of us are having fun with it. :colbert:

I think it was more like multiple people misspelled it, including one dude who spelled it two different ways in one post, both wrong.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Me: Are you getting one of the next-gen consoles at launch?
Liam McIntyre: Is Crixus angry?

Liam owns, and Twitter owns. Jump on, he's replaying to everyone right now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.zazzle.com/jupiters_cock_t_shirts-235961417529742093

Awww yeah.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

the posted:

When's the full set coming out on Blu-ray goddamn it! :argh:

It's already out on Amazon UK if you feel like importing.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'd actually be interested in it if so. Liam McIntyre would be a MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better Green Arrow.

Liam's aiming higher than that. He's mentioned wanting to be Batman in the MoS sequel. A Twitter campaign is required!

#BringerOfWayne

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

that just made me spit coffee everywhere, whoever came up with that deserves a million dollars.

I'll sign

If you're referring to the hashtag, that was my idea. It's not being used for an actual campaign or anything. Yet.

edit: Wait, actually, it is being used after someone else came up with it the day after me. Dammit.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 31, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/mc9p5b

Someone got it rolling. He responded :)

Edit: AND you saw it. Sorry man!

AND motherfucking Spartabatman was used in a tweet TWO MINUTES before me. Dammit Atmo!

Hahahaha suck it

But yeah, Liam as Batman would own and we need it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

This man spent two seasons as a badass warrior who fought against injustice. He used fear and terror against those who terrorized him. Oh and he can also speak in a super gravelly voice but can still look cool in a suit.

He was beaten by Ben Affleck to play Batman.

Liam definitely would have been a better choice. That being said, Affleck should be given a chance. A chance people clearly don't want to give, since they repeatedly bring up Peal Harbour/Daredevil/Gigli instead of stuff like The Town and Argo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I approve. What kind of superhero would Liam play?

I still want him as Batman. #BringerOfWayne forever y'allz.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

teagone posted:

Since Affleck prevented that from happening, I wouldn't mind Liam as Aquaman or something.

If only Marvel and DC could have a truce with Arrow's production and give us Liam as Daredevil for laughs.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

IGN reviewed The Legend of Hercules: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/11/the-legend-of-hercules-review

Mostly a really negative 4.0/10.0, but there was one paragraph I felt belonged here:

quote:

In fact, the only decent actor in the whole thing is McIntyre, whose background playing the lead in Spartacus: War of the Damned serves him well in assuming the role of Captain Sotiris. Not only does his character have the most compelling backstory, but his portrayal of "the hero's best bro" is one of the only emotional constants that feels genuine, even if it is unconvincingly reciprocated by Lutz's Herc.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Awwww yeah.

http://collider.com/terminator-genesis-jai-courtney/

Varro is Kyle Reese. Awesome.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L5...zdigital2014-20

YESSSSSSS

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Charlie Mopps posted:

The worst thing is how i can't convince my friends that Spartacus is awesome and so much better than poo poo like Game of Thrones. They are all proclaiming GoT the best show ever with the greatest storylines and think Spartacus is just dumb meaningless fun :negative:.

Uhh, it really isn't. Spartacus and Game of Thrones are both loving great, but in entirely different ways, with Spartacus being far more broad and unsubtle and hammy (all of which are done awesomely).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappers posted:

Any aussies know where I can pick this up on blue ray at a reasonable price? Definitely time for a re-watch.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/box-sets-tv-blu-ray/spartacus-1-4-the-complete-collection-blu-ray

AU$65.99 for the whole series, Region B meaning it'll play in any Aussie player. Though the site doesn't work for me right now, dunno if that's only on my end.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappers posted:

Sold! Thanks. Link is working fine.

Yeah, it started working fine for me too like a minute after I made that post. It's a nice price for the whole series - really underlines what you'd be paying for that statue.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Naelyan posted:

They got the guys from episode 1 back to just put CGI blood over all nips and hoo-ha's.

Mu Zeta posted:

Meanwhile Hannibal on NBC is allowed to show a totem pole of mangled human bodies.

This is about nudity though, which Hannibal also isn't allowed to do. They initially weren't allowed to show the scene of the 'angels' in episode 5 because you could see their buttcracks, and they got out of it by obscuring the buttcracks with CGI blood. Just as ridiculous.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Yeah enough with the "it's like Spartacus" bullshit. There's been maybe 3-4 shows in all of television history that went from extremely loving garbage to amazing and some dumb comic book Gossip Girl hybrid ain't one of them.

Plenty of us disagree - and we've actually seen more than 3 episodes, so...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Well I've seen 9 episodes and I disagree with you disagreeing. :colbert:

Not everyone can stomach the forced CW drama, just accept it and move on.

Hey, I don't have an issue with someone not liking it, just with someone thinking they know more about a show they've seen 3 episodes of than people who have seen all 40-something episodes and acting like some kind of authority on it. I don't like the CW poo poo either - I rolled my eyes at it on Arrow while enjoying the other parts, and part of the reason why I love the show is that in Season 2 the crappy melodrama was toned down a hell of a lot in favour of better character development and badass action scenes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hey thank god all it takes is looking to the back page to see more goons who actually kept watching more than 3 episodes to see that no, it's nothing like Spartacus unless you want to go back searching the old Spartacus threads showing that over half of the thread was talking about how terrible it was in season 4 or that you should be fast forwarding through parts of it (spoiler: they weren't because it wasn't)

Actually I was referring to disagreeing with the idea that Arrow didn't become great and not referring to comparisons with Spartacus, nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread, but thanks for putting an amusing amount of effort into your useless post.

To paraphase Xoidanor, plenty of people think Arrow owns, accept it and move on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also dancing

Ahh, Manu Bennett. Truly a nationalglobal treasure.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah no, maybe you should go back and reread and not try to move goal posts after your retard opinion is proven wrong. Several of the quotes either say they stopped watching it in well after season 1 was established (unlike Spartacus which only took 4-5 episodes), stopped watching it in season 2 (Gods of the Arena is beloved, so again unlike Spartacus), or that it nosedived into CW horse poo poo in its current season (which Spartacus didn't do).

So again, the show is nothing like Spartacus and you incessantly repeating it to yourself because you're sad you're still watching a lovely show most goons now won't even touch is hilarious.

P.s. finding quotes from one page takes all of 60 seconds

...What the gently caress are you even babbling, dude? I don't think Arrow is 'like Spartacus'. Which is what I just wrote:

BreakAtmo posted:

(I was...) not referring to comparisons with Spartacus, nor was I talking about opinions specifically in this thread

so of course you think I was comparing it with Spartacus, and 'prove me wrong' with opinions specifically in this thread.

Also, haha, you think you can 'prove' someone's taste in a show 'wrong'. Extract your head from your rear end, dude.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Before you go try editing it to make yourself look less stupid. The two of you are quite clearly comparing it to Spartacus, after I show you that the general consensus is that no, it's nothing like Spartacus you're now trying to claim you didn't say it was like Spartacus :lol:

Don't know about the other two, but I never compared it to Spartacus. I wasn't following on with their argument - I didn't even pay attention to it. I was disagreeing with this:

There's been maybe 3-4 shows in all of television history that went from extremely loving garbage to amazing and some dumb comic book Gossip Girl hybrid ain't one of them.

and I'm not required to spoonfeed my exact thoughts to you. You can call me a liar/accuse me of moving goalposts until your fingers are broken and you'll still be wrong. I don't think Arrow was like Spartacus, except in the general sense of 'improving over time' - and their progression in quality (IMO, obviously) was wildly different.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I just said Spartacus started badly comparing his 3 episode shut out of Arrow, Spartacus took 4 episodes to get any good. thats where my comparison ended. He's just being a douche

I actually remember Spartacus being relatively good from episode 2 - although I only saw those episodes once, when they first hit. My memory of Spartacus is that the pilot was laughably godawful, followed by a big quality jump in ep2, followed by a gradual improvement over the next few episodes. Then there was the loving awesome episode 5, and the show stayed loving awesome from then on. Of course, my opinion might change with a rewatch - I really need to get the whole season. I wish the version with the statue was cheaper. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

:laffo: you weren't following the conversation, tried to start a completely inept and retarded argument and after every single point of yours is shown to be wrong you still blame the other person.

:golfclap:

Wow... you really, really care a lot about internet arguments, don't you? My point was that plenty of people disagree with the idea that Arrow didn't improve over time, and they do. For examples, try the Arrow thread, or (from what I could find) almost any review of the second season. Or maybe not, I really don't care.

Rocksicles posted:

like i said. "Douche". Have fun with your teen angst.

loving idiot

Also this.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yawn, still trying to play the :effort: game despite the fact you two are clearly putting just as much into it while also being whiney loving babies over many people in the thread saying the show is poo poo.

Sure thing, dude. Except that 'care' is not the same as 'effort'. We're putting in the same amount of effort, but you care WAY too much.

quote:

And again :lol: at your down's syndrome logic of "go into the thread with the people who still stick around watching it to determine its true value!!!"

About as pathetic as your entire argument being disproven. Move some more goalposts.

Ahahaha, holy poo poo you are dumb.

incredible bear posted:

Guys chill, take this crap to some free forum that I don't read.

Arrow's a fine enough show that sorely lacks references to Jupiter's cock. If you like Manu Bennett in Spartacus maybe watch Arrow because it's pretty much the only way you'll see more of him, and he has a pretty big role in S2. I'm not a big comic book nerd (the Arrow thread frequently talks about characters that I haven't got a clue who those nerds are on about) but I do geek about the show all the same. It's definitely on the pulpier side of things.

Maybe it helps that I'm British and don't really know what "CW" is because I don't believe I've watched any other "CW" shows. Anyway let's just all focus on the fact that Spartacus fans should be chill and like that Manu Bennett is still picking up pay checks.

Yeah, no problem. For reference, 'CW poo poo' generally refers to the tendency of CW shows to have a lot rather overblown teen/twentysomething melodrama since they have a largew fanbase of young people who eat that stuff up. Think stuff like the Ollie/Laurel romance stuff, mainly earlier on.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 28, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

'Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list'

So anyway

NSFW

Beautiful. I wonder if the writers watched Equilibrium.

It's a shame Spartacus had to end, even if it was a great ending. We need to get the crew to just make an endless series of action shorts where they use all the crazy executions that they never got the chance to do.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kammat posted:

As much fun as the last two seasons were, there was a distinct lack of John Hannah chewing scenery with Roman curses,

In fairness, all visual media could use more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Bump to let people know, Liam McIntyre has been confirmed as playing the lead character of Gears of War 4 (he's playing JD Fenix, son of Marcus Fenix). Good on him.

• Locked thread