Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So freakin pumped. Gonna be such a great season of TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Is it just me or does the audio cut out somewhat in? It does this every time I try to play the video.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I was sad about Batiatus being gone, but "Libertus" and "Monsters" showed that everyone else more than made up for it. "Monsters" in particular has Spartacus.jpg and is one of the best episodes of TV ever made.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Gonz posted:

"Who is with you? WHO IS WITH YOU?"

"Death."

*jowl stab*

:drat:
Naevia made up for last season. Completely.

Also, we're only one episode in and I can't imagine any other show coming CLOSE to fight choreography. Ever.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 26, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, Mira was awesome. I miss her and Varro a lot, though Varro more. Bromance. :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
You have Crassus, and Caesar coming soon (who is supposed to be even more devious than Crassus), so I think the Roman intrigue will be cranked up to 11 with two of the most powerful people in Rome vying to destroy Spartacus.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The most disappointing part of Rome was Augustus being recasted -- I loved young Octavian, one of my favorite young actors. He then kind of faded out of acting right after the show ended.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Robert Analog posted:

That's the only thing I'm missing so far is those awesome scheming women. I had so much invested in Ilythia and Lucretia and so far no one has stepped up to fill those shoes. Crassus' slave/lover seems cool in a genuine way and I liked how Crassus treated her like a person not just property, further blurring the line on each side.

Laeta might fulfill that role now, but I think we've had three seasons of female scheming; it might be old hat to have MORE Roman female scheming.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Shageletic posted:

Eh, scheming is kind of part and parcel of this show. Spartacus without strong female characters and political hijinks wouldn't be the same.

I'm just saying that they can have strong female characters who aren't malicious schemers. I'm just not sure what else you can mine out of Roman female scheming that hasn't already been done Illythia or Lucretia.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Officer Sandvich posted:

The same person responsible for the eagle scream has to be responsible for Agron's lion roar.

I really hope every episode has one super-cheesy sound effect now :allears:

Let's not forget the wolf howl when the scene changed to Crixus and co. outside the gates, the camera panned up towards the moon.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

muscles like this? posted:

Spartacus, now with graphic gay sex!

YES! I was waiting for it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

dogpower posted:

I feel like Spartacus character has changed dramatically from the seasons when Liam was portraying him. In the 1st season, Spartacus was like a hill billy barbarian. His grand plan to escape with his wife was to kill everyone in the compound. Now he's become some philosopher king spouting off riddles whenever he's on scene. When did he get the time to read and study? And when did he get so smug?

Since he raised an army and took over a Roman city? I'm pretty sure swagger comes with such feats.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aphrodite posted:

The specific story she told was new to justify her insane hatred and mistrust of the Romans though.

A retcon is rewriting past history -- Naevia explaining a new story isn't one. We only know snippets of what she had to deal with as she was passed around Rome and abused.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Scuzzywuffit posted:

At the same time, though, even if the show was dark from the very beginning, it was dark in a very polarizing way. There were "good" characters and "bad" characters, and for the most part, it was gladiators on the good side and Romans on the bad side. There were some exceptions, like Ashur being a scheming dickbag or Horse-Cock attempting to kill Spartacus, but it was a show about a group of people being brutally mistreated and forced to kill each other by the Romans, both in the arena and for the amusement of douchey kids in the villa.

Gods of the Arena and Vengeance didn't stray too far from this formula, even when Vengeance took it out of the ludus and the arena and onto the battlefield. You had Spartacus and his crew hanging out in the wilderness or in an isolated mountain temple, and the Romans would come and attack them and a bunch of soldiers would die. As brutally violent as the show was (is), it was actually pretty clean with fairly visible lines drawn between good and evil. It wasn't until this season that we've seen the gladiators just go gently caress up a city and kill and imprison a bunch of innocents. You could make the case that they did something similar when they destroyed the arena, but the people they blew up were there literally to have sex while watching them die horribly in chains and with blunted swords.

And that's what makes War of the Damned so great, it's blurring the lines between good and evil so they're hardly recognizable. You put a bunch of former slaves and gladiators into an army led by someone so clouded by vengeance he can barely see what's going on around him, and you have a recipe for a chaotic force that knows no limits.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobkatt013 posted:

So he is going to go out into the desert after being blinded and his son is going to take a bath in sand trout and end up having his dick falling off and having to use "Kirk Douglas" just to gently caress with people?

God Emperor was the best Dune novel.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm not sure how many gay viewers actually watch Spartacus but I feel like Nasir/Agron are more for "the ladies" (who are into yaoi) than anyone else. Therefore they are joint Ringo

Honestly, Spartacus is one of the gayest shows on TV considering how much male gaze it has. I mean, there's female fantasizing about men and then there's just seeing dudes in skimpy outfits fighting each other and sweating and being ripped as gently caress.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Thwomp posted:

If the awesome Roman history thread in A/T taught me anything it was that Romans didn't care if you were gay so long as you were on top.

This is a mindset, that, sadly, still has not disappeared and could be found as easily as talking to some bicurious fraternity dude.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That was the darkest episode of TV I think you could ever make.

And it was loving fascinating.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alan Smithee posted:

I'd say them taking the city was the darkest point, it's only because killing the remaining Romans was divisive to them really.

I think there was something more visceral about it, though, because of the cuts to the decimation.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The pervasive darkness is what's making this season so absolutely incredible. I applaud DeKnight.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Every episode of this season has been a classic TV episode. Jupiter's cock!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sober posted:

God that was so loving tense. Definitely cannot wait for they pull out next week.

Also, the only valid handshakes between bros should either be a predator handshake or forearm grabs like they always do in Spartacus. Nothing else will do.

I need to do the forearm grab with bros from now on.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I honestly feel sympathetic and/or repulsed by Tiberius. His father clearly broke him, and I'd rather not see him die until he seriously fucks up one of Crassus' plans. He's definitely far, far above Naevia in terms of characterization.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Only way, way, way hotter.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

nooneofconsequence posted:

Series pitch: Gannicus becomes a time traveler.

The rest writes itself.

His cock rages on... through time and space.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Gangringo posted:

If we can have a talk like a pirate day, we need a talk like Spartacus day.

We need an official TVIV Spartagrammar day, at the series finale.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

patb01 posted:

So would we see E/N threads called "Once again gods ram cock in rear end: my dad's making me move." Because that would be awesome.

Yes. Someone needs to make this happen, by Jupiter's cock.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
First decimation, now tug-of-war. Spartacus is the most visually horrifying show on TV, and I love it while also being continuously shocked by it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I don't hate Tiberius; I am fascinated by how much of a true Roman he's becoming.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I don't think Tiberius has a bad actor. I loved that line about Caesar going from sword to tongue of silver.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Caesar looks so loving hot all clean-shaven and hair cut. But then again, so many men are hot in Spartacus -- nearly all of them. Hell, even Donar was hot as gently caress.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah, they're hitting the historical notes, it's just hard to tell how hard. For example I think that the thing with Crixus some people are expecting has already been done as far as this show is concerned, although there's a bit of Naevia's story to be played out.

Brad Caesar changed significantly when he tidied up, but the voice is just a bit too coarse for my liking. This Caesar will never transform into Ciaran Hinds Caesar and that's mostly a fundamental stylistic choice with the show, but Crassus for example could have been dropped into Rome and would probably have worked as a character.

I think it's a little unnecessary to compare the Caesar here to Ciaran Hind's Caesar in Rome; bear in mind they are at two very different points in Caesar's history, and his role in this show is basically creative liberties to a fault.

Caesar's absolutely awesome here, so I think a spinoff show would be worthwhile.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

etalian posted:

Yeah he went from having top character stats in season 1 to bottom tier party member stats. Makes more sense to use Gannicus and Argon instead to fill up the main party.

I'm surprised Spartacus and co. haven't asphyxiated from the presence of such a noble gas in their party.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 10, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Leviathan posted:

Does anyone know the phrase Crassus was using for the execution celebration? Sounded like a mixture of carne asada and hakuna matata...

Carnificina, i.e., capital punishment/act of torture. It was what they were doing to the captured slaves.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mans posted:

:3:

It means "carnage".

The actual celebration is an event of torturing or punishing another individual.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
A Caesar spinoff by this director has every chance of being ten times more awesome than Spartacus already is. I don't think TV could handle the awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ron Don Volante posted:

If they do end up doing a Caesar spinoff, then they should probably just keep going through Augustus at least to Caligula. Caligula's reign would make some good tv.

I'd LOVE to see Augustus' reign. I wonder why no show has covered it yet? Rome only covered its beginnings.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Phylodox posted:

Just found out Laeta was the blonde girl who gets killed in Cabin in the Woods. Kinda blew my mind.

Well spoilers!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Honestly sounds like Halo but with a story that's actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

He had me at, "more gay relationships."

• Locked thread