Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was willing to give the actress the benefit of the doubt and just think it's the script or a secret director cabal out to make her look like a horrific actress, but no, she's utterly incapable of delivering a single line of speech that isn't amazingly bad.

This show has shown a lot of really graphic stuff but that decimation / Roman purging was a whole new level. Really hard for me to even watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's sad that we're nearing the end of it and I'm still only liking the show despite Liam McIntyre and not because of him. He hasn't grown on me in any way whatsoever.

It was going to be hard for anybody to take the role from Whitfield who definitely grew into it but I still feel like they could've done a much better job casting wise. His delivery of lines is only slightly more convincing to me than New Naevia's incessant screaming.

Edit: Okay that's too harsh, nobody deserves to be compared to New Naevia's acting.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2013

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McSpanky posted:

No poo poo, this show's sex scenes blow softcore (and let's be honest, most hardcore) out of the water. More than a few have left me wondering how they're filmed without the actors just actually loving. It boggles mind.

I think it was Mickey Rourke or Billy Bob Thornton who said a long time ago that the unspoken truth is that a lot of the time they really are having sex, at least in the movies, I don't know if it's the same for TV.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I phrased that wrong, it was sex in that penis was on/in vagina, but they weren't actively trying to get off. I'm pretty sure it was Rourke in 9 1/2 Weeks era, but it may have been Billy Bob. Nowadays in film even for the most explicit scenes you'll have a body double stand in who won't mind actual penis to vagina contact so they can get the really explicit shots without seeing a body patch covering their junk.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really hope there's going to be a spin off for Caesar or Crassus, Starz has absolutely gently caress all else anybody will watch and they've already got all the set pieces for a really nice First Triumvirate era show.

Make it so, Starz.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mans posted:

I'm going to miss these guys. Naevia really shouldn't be hated, she does frustrating things but that's part of a character that is really messed up. It would be much worse if she turned A-OK after all she's been through.

I don't think anyone hates Naevia, we all just hate her actress. Just by the law of averages you'd think she would have had at least one line of dialogue by now that wasn't hilariously terrible, but nope. Just keep screaming that poo poo with a giant sneer on your face, woman.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't have a problem with either Andrea or Michonne, I gave the actress the benefit of the doubt for two seasons now and she's just terrible. I've seen her in an episode of FlashForward and unless every single script writer and director from both shows is purposely trying to sabotage her career she's just bad. Extremely bad.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Lesley-Ann Brandt weren't an actual competent actress who was able to take a limited role and make it into her own, something almost every other actor on the show has managed to do even with really bad lines, except Cynthia Addai-Robinson for some reason.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pretty much every character on the show is completely one dimensional, the joy in watching it is seeing what the actors are capable of doing with it, the small things they bring to it like Gannicus/Dustin Clare's delivery of lines that makes Gannicus go from what would be an extremely pompous and egotistical shitheel to a downright endearing character, Nick Tarabay/Ashur able to make a one sided scheming rear end in a top hat into someone we genuinely hated to see die, Craig Parker/Glabus who is the direct Roman equivalent of New Naevia that was also yelling basically every line he had towards the end and still made us do more than just have apathetic disinterest in him, etc.

Then we have Cynthia Addai-Robinson who evokes no emotions except extreme annoyance. None of these characters are Shakespearean but virtually every actor given the amount of screen time she has has managed to make something out of it.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've gotten a handful of people to watch it and the best way is just be completely honest about the first three episodes. Repeatedly stress that they are horrific, that you have no idea how you possibly made it through them yourself, but that each one gets better by 20% until finally it's no longer terrible.

I think the generally agreed upon progression is

Embarrassingly bad > Bad > Wait I'm starting to see something > Hey when did this turn good > What the gently caress am I watching

Another route is just watch Gods of the Arena first but make sure they skip the first 3 minutes so they don't get spoiled about Batiatus.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boris Galerkin posted:

What I got from the Cesar/Tiberius conversation was that Tiberius figured out Cesar knew about the treachery and threatened to tell Crassus. Cesar said this was an absurd claim and that the road home was dangerous as a threat, ie, "if you say anything you little poo poo I'm going to kill you."

Except by the time Tiberius was able to say anything to Crassus he'd be off said road and Caeser wouldn't be able to kill him.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thwomp posted:

This I'm a little confused on. So they crucified Agron as a warning to the other prisoners. But they kept him strapped to the beams so he doesn't suffocate (the real cause of death by crucifixion).

So they're plan to intimidate everyone was to string up Agron (painfully) but let him essentially dehydrate to death? It just seemed like a really over-elaborate way to keep Agron alive but seriously injured.

Crucifixions routinely lasted for days, so yeah leaving him alive slowly dying seems like a pretty brutal way of sending a warning?

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thwomp posted:

But wasn't the condemned not strapped to the beams so that he was hanging (more or less) by his hands?

quote:

A theory attributed to Pierre Barbet holds that, when the whole body weight was supported by the stretched arms, the typical cause of death was asphyxiation.[51] He wrote that the condemned would have severe difficulty inhaling, due to hyper-expansion of the chest muscles and lungs. The condemned would therefore have to draw himself up by his arms, leading to exhaustion, or have his feet supported by tying or by a wood block. When no longer able to lift himself, the condemned would die within a few minutes. Some scholars posit other causes of death, including Frederick Zugibe, who suspended test subjects with arms at 60° to 70° from the vertical. Test subjects had no difficulty breathing during experiments, but did suffer rapidly increasing pain,[52][53] which is consistent with the Roman use of crucifixion to achieve a prolonged, agonizing death.

You didn't even bother reading a few lines down from the wikipedia article.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Definitely one of the most satisfying series finales I've ever seen. They actually managed to make me think "are they seriously going to kill Crassus ignoring history?" like 3 times.

Gannicus' arena hallucination, Spartacus impaled with 3 spears, the complete baller way that Caesar slashes Naevia's throat was a complete gently caress off backwards sword slash when he wasn't even looking.

God drat.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 13, 2013

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

teagone posted:

Last one, unless anyone has any other requests :)

Requesting Caesar slashing Naevia's throat while not even looking. It was the perfect end to such a badly acted character.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 13, 2013

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boogoose posted:

I appreciated the historical foreshadowing in the final battle, demonstrating that Crassus is easily tricked into forming testudo in the face of an imminent attack.

I didn't even notice this. To think that after the first 3-4 episodes of Spartacus that they would make something too subtle for me to notice is crazy. They really need to make an Emmy for Most Improved Show.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maninacape posted:

Pretty much. I'll agree the pilot was poorly paced (and had some of the cheesiest dialogue/acting) but it had some pretty memorable imagery. The choreography was absolutely spot-on too :colbert:.

You're gonna want to NWS that. Not that you should need to considering it's on a page of gored bodies but yeah, somebody's gonna report it.

The first time I really liked Liam was this episode, then it was gone. Then they sucker punched you in the gut with Andy in the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

limeincoke posted:

If Crixus hadn't of hosed off with half the army, would Spartacus had stood a decent chance of destroying Crassus's armies? Obviously he would have been wiped out by Pompey immediately afterwards, but that's besides the point. Speaking in actual history terms, by the way.

Historically, no. The only reason Spartacus had any real success was because the Romans did not take him seriously, Glaber rushed to meet him very quickly and didn't have an army with him as much as it was just an armed mob of people. Spartacus did use very unorthodox plans, like using vines to climb down from Vesuvius but what his victories boiled down to in the end was the armed mobs deserting from real battle. As soon as Crixus and Spartacus met a real Roman army they were annihilated.

Also the reason Crixus and Spartacus split the army is unknown, that's one of the things the "I am Spartacus" trick was alluding to, some historians think Spartacus/Crixus split the armies so that Pompey/Crassus would take the bait and buy more time (others think Crixus just wanted to wreck poo poo), but they didn't and Crixus got slaughtered.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 14, 2013

• Locked thread