Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Starz had some neat preview shorts back in December:

Looks like another season of extra amazing fight choreography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSj6t3GLMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nixar55 posted:

Just re-watched Blood and Sand, debating if I have time for Gods of the Arena or if I should go right into season 2 ahead of the new season, since it starts so soon. I'm really going to miss this show when it's gone. There's nothing like it on TV.

Eh, probably will watch Gods of the Arena because Gannicus is the loving best. I admit to still not feeling Liam McIntyre and definitely disliking the new and derpier-looking Naevia. So, I watch for Gannicus.

Watching Gods of the Arena makes the second season much more interesting since it provides a better understand for the character motivations driving main players such as Gannicus and Ashur.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

MY COCK RAGES ON, MY COCK RAGES ON. Man I am pumped. I remember Navia killing the poo poo out of Ashur but I can't remember how Onomeus died

This song should be in the OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVl21YCzIiA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At my office all the guys religiously watch Spartacus just like the latest NFL games.

Premier was pretty awesome and almost feels movie like with how the scale and overall effects budget has greatly increased in the final season.

Basically going for relatively small area fights with a majority of the action happening on a single practical set in the first season to battlefield scale bloodbaths.

Also I pray to Gods to finally offer Gannicus brand hair shampoo at the merchandising store.

nate fisher posted:

I think the show suffered last season (due to the lack of Batiatus), but it was still pretty good. Looking forward to this tonight.

I find no fault with the last season even without John Hannah absent to fill the glorious bastard role.

Other characters such as Glabus and Ashur really stepped up to the dick in chief villain roles in a satisfying way.

Killing off characters even popular ones is one of the big draws of the show and getting mad over a character not making to end sort of shows that the development/connection
to the audience really worked.

etalian fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 25, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

Crassus :black101:

Spartacus's spear throw :black101:

The damage done with the Eagle club :gonk:

I'm go loving happy that this show is back!

And even more Bro super combo moves the throw and slash trick with Gannicus.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kammat posted:

Also, naked exposition is the best exposition.

One woman is never enough for Gannicus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I'll say this about Liam's version of Spartacus, he brings such a savagery to the character.

And we finally get him back with his two sword fighting style like in the original season.

Like for his Mortal Combat dual decapitation finishing move

I also like the writing for the character setting up his arc from getting successful revenge in the first season, deciding to expand his vengeance to all Romans in the second season but being very uncomfortable for next level of things in third season such as slowly becoming a unapproachable king figure.

Also a nerd made lego versions of many iconic Spartacus scenes here:
https://www.facebook.com/LegoSpartacus

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 26, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

What makes it even more awesome is how The standard the symbol of Rome and him killing a guy with it is basically him beating a roman with rome.

Or along the action movie staple of beating someone to death with their own servered arm.

I liked the quick lines and funny set stories from this article on the red carpet screening:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/01/25/overheard-at-a-screening-of-spartacus-with-lucy-lawless-and-steven-deknight/

I loved the prank story from Clair about how the New Zealand support crew replaced all the australian flags on his trailer with NZ flags and All Blacks logos during the World Cup.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 26, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

3Romeo posted:

man, that owned.

They're really going all-out with the effects this year. Remember how lovely the greenscreen work looked in the pilot?

Despite the cheese elements in the first few episodes even Charlie Brooker got addicted to the show:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/may/22/charlie-brooker-screenburn-spartacus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Well I sure as poo poo didn't expect Crassus to be that much of a badasss.

I loved how training duel with the gladiator slave was a great way to develop him as a character, not just a excuse to show off some fight choreography.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I guess the cool part of Crassus is that all of the villains on the show have been full of bluster, and he seems like the first one who might actually be some kind of competent. It's pretty refreshing, actually.

It's a similar effective concept to how Glaber was changed in season 2 to be a more direct threat since every episode you could say his latest schemes instead of being a distant threat.

The 4 way bait and switch was brilliant too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I was pleased to see Lugo being listed on the main site as a main character.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alchenar posted:

He's interesting because he's a ruthless self-made man, yet desperate for the power and adoration that in the Roman system comes largely from winning great military victories - but he's not a very good general. His solution for being bad at generally is to bring back decimation. He also has the misfortune to live in the age of Caesar and Pompey, so he's completely in their shadow.

Yeah even after all his work in dealing with the uprising he still didn't get the highest honor, only the lower ranked ovation recognition instead of being able to do the full triumph ritual parade.

It's being in the shadow of more successful and also better PR spin leaders like Pompey that drove him to his end in his misguided eastern adventure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LLJKSiLk posted:

I also love how they trick you into popping a boner right before you see the guy apparently unloading into the other guy's rear end in a quick switch.

Or going from a Lord of the Rings-esque massive battle scene with a lots of over the top violence to doing a quick switch over to naked slave girls giving some hyper-toned guys a sponge bath.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Gannicus seems to be back to his GOTA self after being a bit weird last season too. Should be a good final run.

Clair has some really great off set quotes

“I also enjoyed the scenes when I was in the background and drunk. If you really go in and have a hard look, there’s some naughty things that Gannicus gets up to in the background in shots.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boogoose posted:

The youth playing Crassus' son seems a bit poo poo as an actor. Flashbacks of Numerius in terms of line delivery.

He's a sort of captain obvious for people in the audience who missed the gist of the clever job opening plan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Women's Rights? posted:

I love Naevia's new hair so much :allears: I can't even put it into words.

Also looks like she finally made through the Crixus Grad School of Head Decapitation for the ambush fight scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

savinhill posted:

Yeah, that and the cheesy eagle sound playing when Spartacus killed that Roman with the eagle standard were two of my favorite moments from this episode.

Spartacus is just such a good show, it's crazy how it can be so over the top and self aware about it and yet still work so well as a serious drama.

So want gifs from the episode, it had so many amazing over the top kills and also setup up the next big story arc in a effective way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Have to throw in another vote for this. After having just re-watched Rome recently no one that they could cast could replace him as Caesar. In a perfect tv world they'd cast him to play the role again.

Rome rocked and everyone should give it a try.

Also the the production videos on the Spartacus website are very interesting going into how the bigger budget allowed them to do things such as build wider scale practical sets and also upgrade the special effects budget.

The videos do contain somewhat mild spoilers since they show off practical sets used in future episodes of the show.

The gladiator training camp video was hilarious watching the cast goof off during training and also going through the New Zealand armed forces physical test by carrying each other around like sacks of Potatoes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Finally the tie-in products everyone wants:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrinkMoreBeer posted:

Who ever made the decision to add the cheesy eagle sound deserves orgies for the rest of their lives. loving brilliant.

The comedy of the cheesy eagle screeched really balanced out the horror of the guy's face getting turned into steak tartare.

Also Gannicus doesn't seem to believe in the Bros before Hos concept.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 30, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Duke posted:

Or "My Cock Rages On". I'd buy that in an instant.

Best Spartacus prank from the last thread was story about the victim who had his cell phone ringtone changed to the Cock Rages on song by his friends and after that the ringtone got blasted in a public place.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CeeJee posted:

It took me forever to figure out who played Crassus' training partner slave but it was classic Hong Kong movie baddie Richard Norton. He's 62 and still going strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLU03dS2j8I

This is a awesome find looks like Norton can still do the crazy stunts and is rippled like crazy even though he's 62.

Doing the sword disarm using the shield was really awesome move and I loved how Crassus won the fight in a trick similar to the Rob Roy final fight.

It's a similar fun concept since the protagonist of the fight doesn't have good odds against the opposing champion and needs a clever strategy to win the fight.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 31, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The new season is pretty impressive in terms of taking the scale of things to the next level but some compelling aspects of what made the original so compelling are lost.

Instead of focusing on the characters there's a great focus on massive set piece battles and the feeling that individuals players don't matter as much since everything is on a much bigger scale now.

For example characters such as Crixus who were pretty interesting in the first season/Gods the Area sort of feel like afterthoughts in the overall plot since they no longer have a interesting plot arc to drive character development in the season or a chance to create conflicts.

Even though season 2 was certainly bigger scale it was still blended in much better than the new season since the band of characters was pretty compact and you still had lots of interesting ludus-like scheming the background for things such as Ashur trying to climb the last rung of the ladder.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

But at least for a majority of the old characters there's no compelling arc to keep them interesting since many of the leads such as Crixus reuniting with Naevia got wrapped in Season 2.

It's why DeKnight decided to kill off Oenomaus in the 2nd season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

"My Cock Is MAGIC!" :agesilaus:

Then see it disappear

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/douglas-honoured-with-prosthetic-penis-in-new-spartacus_1112031

Not proof of that guy, specifically. But it's not unlikely.

All the dudes showing cock on that show have wicked long flaccidity if those are all real. (ie: they're not...)

Amazing

quote:

Actress Lucy Lawless, who strips for the film, reveals, "That was Erin Cummings, who plays Spartacus' wife Sura. She thought she should have the right to name it (penis), so Kirk Douglas' agent, don't call us.

"That thing gets shared around. At the moment it's pinned to the wall next to all the merkins in the make-up truck."

Having a big cock on Spartacus is similar in concept to the young teen couple making out in a slasher movie. It's basically being marked for gruesome death in the near future.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 10, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

teagone posted:

I'm hoping Incursion is more like Starship Troopers/Starcraft than Halo.

DeKnight said he's basically aiming for a over the top R-rated version of Halo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember when he was playing games with Batiatus, Batiatus talked about how he was good at war games and thought like a Roman.

And the historical Spartacus was a good case of a amateur military leader who managed to defeat a enemy who had big advantages due to his use unconventional tactics and effective leadership abilities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The show is also getting sort of hard to watch since it's turned pretty grim-dark without enough lighter elements to break things up.

I guess it's another consequence of the story arc changing into a much larger scale and also getting much more depressing such as the inevitable good guys going on a killing spree.

It's one thing when it's people like Rape face get a spear death but the show has shifted to the heroes deciding to punish all Romans as part of their revenge plan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Next episode title possibly give it away: Decimation

In the historical story it's one of the tricks Crassus used to motivate demoralized legions and was punishment reserved for legions that made a embarrassing show on the battlefield.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lamadrid posted:

Decimations will continue until morale improves!!!

And similar to Spartacus being forced to kill Varro, soldiers in the legion under decimation punishment were forced to kill their fellow soldiers as part of the punishment process.

It wasn't until the later Byzantine empire that they did away with the practice due to the common sense of it being both wasteful of manpower and also bad for morale.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Did decimation really happen like that? It seemed overly cruel to beat the guys to death with those little wooden clubs.

Yes the show is historically accurate for the brutal decimation scene, soldiers getting the bad luck during the decimation were slowly beaten to death with clubs.

Deciding who live or died was determined by drawing lots for each group of 10 soldiers in the legion.

The practice eventually stopped being used since it was both wasteful for manpower and also ran the risk of destroying morale for things such as forcing friends to kill each other.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 23, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Good brutal episode. I always wanted to like Crixus and I did like Naevia in S1 but it seems now the showrunners are just determined to make me want them dead

Well much if it how they decided to make the basic show arc follow the actual history of the revolt

The historical Crixus eventually stuck out on his own with his band of Gauls

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The episode also solved the Caesar knife scene riddle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Caesar is quickly becoming my favorite here. One episode and he has everyone at the opposing site at each other's throats.

Yeah he seemed somewhat boring in his debut episode but the recent episode made him much more interesting as a opponent.

He sort of fills the Ashur glorious scheming niche as someone who sows dissension and gets people to distrust each other as his primary ability.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Science posted:

Wait did I miss something? Was the penis knife riddle just him getting the slave mark so he could later infiltrate?

I was expecting some horrible STD or a very primitive penis reduction surgery (so he could avoid the fate of all characters with large penii).

Caesar got into city by claiming he cut off his slave mark which explains the confusing knife scene from the pilot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Bromden posted:

The "undefeated Gaul" sure does get his rear end kicked a lot.

His injury in season 1 greatly reduced his character stats.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scoobi posted:

Gannicus has one of the most overpowered special rules in Spartacus, followed by Spartacus. Crixus' is poo poo by comparison so its no surprise Gannicus was rolling him.

The Spartacus tie-in board game is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shizen posted:

You son of a bitch

Great episode its going to be sad to see some of these characters die off in the coming episodes

I hope the Spartacus handshake replaces the current dull one.

• Locked thread