Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 25, 2010

by XyloJW

Nebraska Wendy's franchisee slashes worker hours to sidestep ObamaCare

Published January 09, 2013

FoxNews.com

Wendy's original logo, left, and new logo, right (AP/Wendy's)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...test=latestnews

quote:

A Nebraska Wendy's franchise is slashing employee hours so the owners do not have to pay for health benefits for their workers under ObamaCare's requirements.

WOWT reports about 100 workers in non-management positions at 11 Omaha-area Wendy's will have their hours cut to 28 a week.

Gary Burdette, Vice President of Operations for the local franchise, tells the station that his restaurants cannot afford to pay for health coverage for all their employees under the new Affordable Health Care Act.

President Obama's health care overhaul requires employers to offer health insurance to employees working 32-38 hours a week.

Wendy's worker T.J. Growbeck says the reduction in hours will have a big effect on him and many of his coworkers.

I'm hoping that I can get some sort of promotion because then I would get my hours, but everybody is shooting for that because of the hours being cut, Growbeck told WOWT.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s#ixzz2HV3Mblag

Link is from a local affiliate and has a video featuring an employee of the restaurant.

I wonder if other fast food joints and similar jobs will follow suit. If so, does that make Obamacare a "paper lion?" At least for those who work fast food or similar jobs? I find it somewhat sickening that this company, who is scarcely paying a living wage as it is, would reduce employee's hours in order to avoid compliance with government mandates designed to help people.

I wonder if the publicity this story has recieved will do anything to aid the employees' cause.

I include the following information only for those who wish to express their feelings about this to those responsible. For that reason, if you feel the need to make your voice heard, it would probably be better to call either of the two corporate numbers listed than the store itself.

Anyway, here is the information for the store:

Store #69
420 S. 8008 TH AVE.
OMAHA, NE 80085
(666) 666-1488

An employee there gave me the number for the corporate office in Omaha that represents franchisees:

1-800-WET-BUTT

Here is the contact info for Wendy's Consumer relations:

Wendy's Consumer Relations - United States
Wendy's International, Inc.
One Dave Thomas Blvd.
Dublin, OH 43017

Phone: (800) WET-BUTT, xPizza Woman

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

A lot of people have been posting in GBS asking us to do things as a community, but it has kind of a 4chan-esque "Internet rage machine" vibe. Perhaps we should take away the phone numbers.

Playing devil's advocate, what prevents an independently-owned business (which I believe a Wendy's franchise is) from doing what its owners decide other than market forces?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Negative feedback from the public is a market force.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I will call them right now.

Teddles
Sep 2, 2011

Those workers should be grateful that Job Creator Wendy's takes time out of the day to Create Jobs for them at all.

Nolas
Sep 9, 2002

If what happened with chick-fil-A is any indication, i fully expect a ton of right wing crazy assholes to flock to Wendy's over this because, "gently caress those poor people, it's their fault they have a lovely job."

flatbus
Sep 19, 2012

Nolas posted:

If what happened with chick-fa-lie is any indication, i fully expect a ton of right wing crazy assholes to flock to Wendy's over this because, "gently caress those poor people, it's their fault they have a lovely job."

Which, hilariously, would drive up demand for serving staff and cause Wendy's to either give their staff more hours or hire more staff, thereby negating whatever Obamacare savings they made, if any.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito

Can we also request their future commercials only feature the thin, attractive red head "Wendy" spokesmodel and not the real life Dave Thomas' daughter fatso?

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

A lot of places are doing this. Food service typically operates with razor thin margins, and fast food is often franchise owned, and group health care plans for anything less than thousands of employees tend to be very expensive and lovely to the point of being useless for all but catastrophic care.

Maybe now we'll finally realize we need a public option?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

Fleets of taxis stall in the fog, passengers fall asleep. Gas pours from a tri-color stack.

"Unions used to be important, but nowadays we don't really need them anymore. They're just as bad as corporations, anyway!"

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

davebo posted:

Can we also request their future commercials only feature the thin, attractive red head "Wendy" spokesmodel and not the real life Dave Thomas' daughter fatso?

I know right, how dare they put a fat girl on tv

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

Olive Garden backed down from this same plan after their last financial report said they had a significant loss of revenue due to people boycotting them.

So good luck little Wendy's franchise! No one is rooting for you!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Apparently this is the reward I get for years of screwing with super-science.

Guess what - businesses do this all the time anyway. It has nothing to do with "Obamacare." If busineses keep you under a certain number of hours a week, they don't consider you full time, and don't have to pay benefits. Welcome to the business world.

Atom
Apr 6, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ChuckMaster posted:

A lot of places are doing this. Food service typically operates with razor thin margins, and fast food is often franchise owned, and group health care plans for anything less than thousands of employees tend to be very expensive and lovely to the point of being useless for all but catastrophic care.

If their profits are that lovely they deserve to go under.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

This forum is really funny! No, really!

Zero One posted:

Olive Garden backed down from this same plan after their last financial report said they had a significant loss of revenue due to people boycotting them.

So good luck little Wendy's franchise! No one is rooting for you!

Could you provide a link for this last financial report where it stated that boycotting cost them and they should bring back health plan for their workers?

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 11, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

If you do decide you absolutely HAVE to call the store, ask to talk to the actual manager or the owner of the franchise. Don't start ranting at some poor bastard who just found out they lost their hours so they don't have to receive insurance.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Obamacare for some, wage cuts for others! Everyone wins!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's Easy Being Greene

I don't understand how a restaurant that sells me delicious chicken nuggets, a burger, and Frostie for $3 can afford to pay people anyway

Ariza
Feb 7, 2006

deathsuxdontdie posted:

If you do decide you absolutely HAVE to call the store, ask to talk to the actual manager or the owner of the franchise. Don't start ranting at some poor bastard who just found out they lost their hours so they don't have to receive insurance.

Why? It's their fault for working at a fast food place. The manager's are really to blame. Some of them are pulling down $12+ an hour! Health insurance costs what, $50 a month? Slash manager's down to minimum wage too and everyone could have health insurance!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

You know, sometimes a company actually can't afford something that the government imposes on them. Especially a business like Wendy's, I can't imagine they have large profit margins.

Hot Jam
Feb 23, 2005

ChuckMaster posted:

Yea...Maybe the franchisee is doing this not because he's an evil corporate overlord but because as a franchisee he can't afford it. Perhaps it is because our hosed up health care system that reaps astronomical profits has made it cost prohibitive for him to do so. I don't think this is entirely a case of an employer trying to get around the benevolence of Obama but rather a flawed health care system and the fact that Obama Care is so easy to get around.

Raging against the local Wendy's seems pretty stupid.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RizieN posted:

You know, sometimes a company actually can't afford something that the government imposes on them. Especially a business like Wendy's, I can't imagine they have large profit margins.

Therefore they shouldn't have to offer insurance--a thing without which most employees at Wendy's would go bankrupt without if there were a medical cost incurred on them?

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

Atom posted:

You don't make money in food service industry, unless you're huge or you're the one selling franchises. Most restaurants are almost always a bad season away from failure.

Also, here's a double whammy: CCAC had their state funding cut, AND they have to follow obamacare, so lots of full timers are now part time. Because gently caress education.

Hot Jam
Feb 23, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

Therefore they shouldn't have to offer insurance--a thing without which most employees at Wendy's would go bankrupt without if there were a medical cost incurred on them?

But is Wendy's to blame for this? Why is the rage being directed at Wendy's?

Oral Slither
Aug 26, 2006

You know, I don't think I'm gonna be Jewish for very long.

Hot Jam posted:

As someone who has actually worked at a Wendy's, they deserve it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

MeaningOfLife posted:

Could you provide a link for this last financial report where it stated that boycotting cost them and they should bring back health plan for their workers?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...den-shakes.html

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Venture to the stars

...if you dare

Atom posted:

Every company should be a global, multi-billion dollar mega corporation.

I agree.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

It's cool that they have an excuse to cut hours now, but it's not like they needed it in the first place.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

RizieN posted:

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. Here in Hawaii every employee that works 19 hours a week is given insurance by their employer that can't cost more than 1.5% of their salary and has to be approved by the state. There is no lack of fast food here, including Wendys.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE.
WITH ME.
IN MY APARTMENT.
I NEED A ROOMMATE.

RizieN posted:

Buying a meal at any of the fast food joints is pretty expensive. To buy a chicken sandwich meal is like $7.00. And if they can't afford it they can raise their prices. A small franchise burger place called In-N-Out on the west coast will literally pay you back for your college education if you work there while going to school. They also pay like $12.00 an hour and they fly their meat in by helicopter every single day because they don't have freezers. They also only charge like $5.50 for a meal with a drink. I guarantee these franchise owners aren't exactly hurting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Heroic ideal

Hot Jam posted:

You know what maybe if a company is built on paying it's employees so little and giving them no health insurance so they are one medical bill away from bankruptcy and a ruined life that company shouldn't exist or maybe they should raise prices. If the market decides that people deserve to have health insurance then the companies in the market need to adapt to that and not gently caress over their employees.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

fantastic

ChuckMaster posted:

If you don't value supporting middlemen in your healthcare costs more than you value your very life, you're a commie.

E: Oh, god, that new logo is poo poo.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

That new logo is poo poo.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Would have been a shame to blow it up.

Knyteguy posted:

Buying a meal at any of the fast food joints is pretty expensive. To buy a chicken sandwich meal is like $7.00. And if they can't afford it they can raise their prices. A small franchise burger place called In-N-Out on the west coast will literally pay you back for your college education if you work there while going to school. They also pay like $12.00 an hour and they fly their meat in by helicopter every single day because they don't have freezers. They also only charge like $5.50 for a meal with a drink. I guarantee these franchise owners aren't exactly hurting.

You mean one day's drive from a "local" DC. That's a bit farther than you really want to believe. That's 1400 miles with a slow truck, teaming.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Knyteguy posted:

In-N-Out is also privately owned so they don't have shareholders demanding profits go UP UP UP for no reason each quarter.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

You know what maybe if a company is built on paying it's employees so little and giving them no health insurance so they are one medical bill away from bankruptcy and a ruined life that company shouldn't exist or maybe they should raise prices. If the market decides that people deserve to have health insurance then the companies in the market need to adapt to that and not gently caress over their employees.

The market didn't decide poo poo, we weren't exactly boycotting people who refused to pay medical insurance prior to the government mandating it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Knyteguy posted:

They can afford all that because they are a money laundering operation.

Hot Jam
Feb 23, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Yes fair enough, by my point is that maybe if healthcare was affordable and didn't have absurdly inflated costs it would be much easier for companies to comply. Publicly traded companies that answer to investors and Wall St. aren't going to do these things out of benevolence, you have to make it practical and cost effective if you want compliance.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito

Maybe the question should be how do the comparable businesses in that area comply with health care demands? Are the local McDonalds and Burger King franchises raising prices to comply, or are they also cutting hours?

The CEO of Papa Johns had his own little hissy fit about if Obamacare passes they were gonna cut hours because the only other possible solution was to raise the price of a pizza by 15 cents. Well... just raise the price of your food 15 cents then? If people want the absolute cheapest fast food they can get they'll go to McDonald's anyway. If they prefer the food at Wendy's they'll probably hell out a few cents extra for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Paco de Suave posted:

Bullshit. Absolute bullshit. Here in Hawaii every employee that works 19 hours a week is given insurance by their employer that can't cost more than 1.5% of their salary and has to be approved by the state. There is no lack of fast food here, including Wendys.

Hawaii is also one of the most expensive places to live in the country, so you're paying for it somewhere.

«8 »