Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I mean, I'd PREFER the latter, but I'm of course willing to pay. I probably can't do much, but I'd be a huge dick not to offer what I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, you say that, but the average comic page costs probably somewhere in the area of $200 to $400. That's usually with separate pencilers, inkers, colorists, and letterers. For one person to do all of that (and layout) themselves, you're probably looking at 3-8 hours per page (and that's a very uncomplicated page).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I know how much work goes into a comic page. It's not exactly easy writing well either. And I'm not looking to hire Alex Ross over here.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Passive-aggressive client ahoy! Evasive maneuvers!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, that's okay, because Alex Ross probably charges thousands of dollars per page.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So is it common practice in this thread to just attack people for no reason? I'm just here like everyone else trying to find collaborators.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

:sigh: I'd be very reluctant to work for you at any price seeing how defensive you're getting over someone breaching the subject of payment, which you didn't bring up at all in your initial post despite it being very clearly stated in the thread that this is a thread for paid work only.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 13, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I didn't mention it because I figured it was assumed since, as you mentioned, it's how this thread works. Then when I was questioned on it I said of course I'd pay. Then he assumes I wouldn't which is a lovely thing to say to someone based on nothing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nobody's saying you won't pay. But can you honestly say you're willing to pay someone what their time is actually worth, here? You have a choice between either shelling out some serious cash, settling for some stick-figure drawings, or taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better. I'm not making any accusations, but as someone who does this stuff for a living I don't assume anything vis-a-vis payment and I don't appreciate anyone else thinking I should. This is a job, not a hobby. Treat it with the respect it deserves.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
We ain't holding it against you, lad, but everyone here has a horror story or two in their history that makes us extremely skeptical/cynical people. Details help out with that plenty.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Yeah the thing is if you can't afford to pay the basic rates for comic page work (and no, writing isn't easy but no one is knocking on your door offering to hire you) you might as well not even try because it will only end in tears. Even if you find some poor soul to agree to do it on the cheap, they will soon realize the massive judgment error they have made and disappear.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Unmature, nobody is blaming you for being one of those persons.
But just like WarpedNaba mentions, horror stories do exist, read a few of those and you should understand why everyone is so very cynical about it.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Unmature, it's probably a good idea to include approximately what your budget for this looks like. That way, people won't feel so wary of your post and will get a much clearer picture of whether or not they can work with you. :)

Nobody is attacking you. All of us as professionals have been burned, probably more than once, and when we see a post without a price tag it sets off our For Exposure Alarms. In a better world it wouldn't be that way, but it is. Best of luck.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Note the thread title. "Work for Hire/Freelance," not "amateur collaborator/portfolio builder." A lot of people come through thinking that's what it is, and it ain't.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Chitin posted:

Note the thread title. "Work for Hire/Freelance," not "amateur collaborator/portfolio builder." A lot of people come through thinking that's what it is, and it ain't.

On a positive note, I want to thank fellow goon Carl Killer Miller for paying a reasonable price for a painting commission I did for him recently.

I feel we should take time to call out the good folks who follow through and are awesome. It's easy to get jaded as a professional artist.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 15, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Something Awful's great for that, really. There's so little bullshit as opposed to the dedicated freelancing sites I've tried (Guru, 99 Designs) where the client has you do a million revisions and then just abandons their posting without any consequence.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Something Awful's great for that, really. There's so little bullshit as opposed to the dedicated freelancing sites I've tried (Guru, 99 Designs) where the client has you do a million revisions and then just abandons their posting without any consequence.

Once did an entire music video on eLance. Got paid for the first milestone, then completed the piece.

Never heard back.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
That's why you always have a contract.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I like freelancer's milestone system of "they deposit the money into a milestone system and the site has their money. The milestone can then be worked on and the freelancer can request payment of the milestone when the job is done"

If people run away they've lost all the money and you can generally still claim it by the dispute system.

Too bad freelancer is a pile of garbage in every single other way and you should never ever ever go there.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

Jewel posted:

I like freelancer's milestone system of "they deposit the money into a milestone system and the site has their money. The milestone can then be worked on and the freelancer can request payment of the milestone when the job is done"

If people run away they've lost all the money and you can generally still claim it by the dispute system.

Too bad freelancer is a pile of garbage in every single other way and you should never ever ever go there.

Elance does blow heartily but also has an escrow system to protect people in the same way. And if they bail, you get paid after 30 days if they don't dispute it .

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I started up a website! My friend made it for me. I'm down for commissions/prints! Lately I've been leaning towards vectoring images

https://www.slightlyabsurd.com

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My friends and I are a small group of scientists and engineers working on projects in our spare time. Of these projects, we've determined that three are probably worth posting to Kickstarter for seeking some additional funding. We'd like to hire someone who can generate a logo for each of these three projects. We're not doing any of this on behalf of a business or anything. We don't have a name for our "group", but if we come up with something good in the future then we might want to get a logo designed for that, too.

We're not business people, we don't know how much this sort of thing costs. Please either PM me or post your interest here in the thread with some examples of your previous work, an idea of what you'd want to do, and the expected cost per logo (we can negotiate this if you think that we're demanding too much with the design, but it would be nice to have a general idea)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2014

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Video people! What would you charge to make a 1, 1.5 minute long video for a Kickstarter project? No footage, just fade in/out and pans over images and text (and syncing with narration).

To clarify, I'm not sure what I should be charging.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Video people! What would you charge to make a 1, 1.5 minute long video for a Kickstarter project? No footage, just fade in/out and pans over images and text (and syncing with narration).

To clarify, I'm not sure what I should be charging.

Just pan and scan, no footage or effects? Like a couple hundred bucks, shouldn't take more than an hour or two. I'm doing one as a favor right now.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I need some minor Photoshop cloning to fill a background image for a website.

-- and looks like I'm taken care of -- thanks!

onionradish fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 27, 2014

sweet to chat
Mar 28, 2007

Hi there, I work as an animator and compositor for a new media artist who makes experimental cg works, and we're looking for someone to do some character rigging in the next few weeks for a new film she has been commissioned to make. I will be animating and compositing the models in C4D, but my rigging isn't 100% confident yet and we are also trying to spread the workload due to time constraints. The rigs might be a bit unorthodox, but it's an interesting project and the animations are going to be turned into holograms by a holographics studio, so that's cool.

The first rig will be a fairly lo-poly open source vocaloid model from the MMD database - which will need a body, hand and face rig. The second is a face rig for a photorealistic head we are having sculpted, which will need to speak and emote. I will be working in C4D so the rigs need to be compatible - I've had some transfer issues before.

This is a gallery funded project and we have what I think is a pretty decent budget set aside for rigging, you can email me at tomkkemp@gmail.com for more info.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Jon Joe posted:

I am designing a rulebook for a competitive strategy game called WIZARD BATTLE. Game design is done but I still need art! Please PM me a sample of your art (I am most interested in black & white fantasy art). You don't have to send something you made just for this, only something you made in the past that you think shows off your abilities. You can even just link me to your entire art blog if you like. If I like your art and think it will fit my product, we can then discuss the sort of work I'd like you to do and what you'd like to be paid.

If you don't have PMs, quote this post with your email. Thanks.

NOTICE: I am also looking for a really colorful, action-filled cover for my Wizard Battle book. If you have a good example of an actiony, colored work involving multiple actors, that's a plus.

if you're still looking for an artist my info is in my profile!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to have a character drawn or otherwise created that will be part of the marketing (logos, labels and stuff) for a product I'm developing.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 19, 2022

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I'll contact you, I'm an illustrator with a knack for cartooning and character design.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
It's been long enough since I originally posted links to my portfolio and web sites, so here's an updated version. Cartoonist, illustrator, graphic designer, particularly into designing T-shirts and posters.

My styles vary, and I can pretty much recreate any style you (the client) would like. I do commission work, I freelance, I am interested in one-shot opportunities as well as long term arrangements.

Examples:

My digital business card - all important links in one place, including my portfolio and LinkedIn profile.

Mini web page for my brand.

To contact me, PM me and we'll continue from there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

klaivu posted:

Hello, I'm an illustrator for hire. I make my living by doing digital artwork for advertising agencies. I can do the same as your neighbourhood production house for less money.

I do paintings, drawings, 3d and photomanipulation. I'm specialized in developing new visual styles from scratch rather than working in a single one.

I'm used to crushing deadlines, and usually begin work within the same business day I receive a commission.

Also, you might remember me from the comic I posted here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3424156

Are you still active, klaivu? If you are, do you have a website where I can look at portrait work and ask you about giving you money for portrait work?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Hello people, my company wants to redesign some product labels and I thought I would see if anyone here is interested. We would like a template (preferably in Illustrator) where we can adjust the color and size slightly to fit each product family. Our products are made in the USA and very high quality and high performance, so we want a label that reflects that.

If you are interested you can message me here or email me with a cost estimation and examples of your work reuben.keeling @northstarsitetel.com

This is the old design which you can see if pretty bad (it was designed by battery engineers) so i'm sure someone here could do better.

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Hey, I recently made a commission thread in SA-mart, feel free to take a look. I draw and paint stuff. Have made a few illustration commissions in the past.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665522

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Hello nerds.

I'm about to get into the wondrous world of ePubbing a set of serial novellas and I'm going to need 1) an overarching logo, something to tie all my serials (which are not all about the same people but all take place in the same setting) together, 2) a logo for my own name, along with an eye as to which way of showing it might look the best. I have four names, so there are a lot of options. 3) Someone who's willing to do a number of epub book covers using the aforementioned two things, hopefully in a manner that ties them all together. Pictures can either be drawn and painted, or stock photos that are heavily altered, but once chosen I'm hoping to stick to whichever method is picked. Theme is sort of a dark and gritty superhero sort of thing, so a skill at costumes/powers/effects/city skylines would be appreciated, but again, they can be photo realistic or drawn.

I'd like to open that up to bids. I know it's three separate things, so if you're only willing/able to do a logo, or just great with fonts and would like my name to play around with, please let me know. If you're interested, please PM me. If you cannot PM me, you can reach me at (jel dot swigart at-in-a-circle gmail dot com). Thank you!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I'm a plush artist looking for an illustration I can use as logo / mascot kind of thing. I'm initially interested to have it on Thursday, but might still be interested in something after. Something simple that could work small or large. Here's what I'd like it based on:

You can see more stuff at unicornconglomerate.com.

Please send questions/bids/whatever: sathreademail at unicornconglomerate.com

Edit: taken care of. Thanks.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 10, 2014

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hiya, I'm looking for someone that can do an ebook cover design for a set of short stories I'm planning on putting up before the end of the month. There's a few goon cc favorites, but I thought I would ask here too.

The main idea is nothing overly involved; thematically supernatural, the usual scalable image sizes for thumbnails, etc. The main obstacle here is time, since I'm away from home for a few days and would li,e this done before the 29th or so.

Email me at saviourx at Gmail with your rates, portfolio, and other info. I'll get back at you this weekend. Thanks!

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I'm looking for a 3D artist who can modify pre-existing 3D models/assests in Dota 2. Additionally I'm also looking for someone who can create some concept art/ loading screen image for pre-existing models etc. in Dota 2 as well. I'm working on an idea for a Dota 2 item set obviously, but I'm in talks with a few organizations regarding putting a new spin on a set release. I don't want to go into great detail publicly just yet but shoot me a PM if you're interested.

ISUCHARESLOLO fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 18, 2014

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I am looking to have a stickman animated for me with a few states.

Really a basic stickman with the following states:

Idle
Walking
Running
Jumping
Sliding on the ground
Tripping and falling

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 12, 2022

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I'm interesting in commissioning someone to re-create posters from the movie Delicatessen for me, ideally as a digital image, I can print them out.

The first one can be seen in the movie at 21:23 in full form – it is the “Troglodyte” poster.

The other is a Theater Advertisement poster. It’s a picture of a clown’s face and a monkey, very stylized. It’s a little more difficult, since it only appears in portions in the movie, the whole poster never appears in one shot, starting around 35:35.

I’ve included screenshots of what I am talking about here:

http://imgur.com/a/VuV86#9oiYqv2

So, if either of these seem like they would be something that you’d be interested in working on, please email me at lonelylikezoidberg AT gmail dot com with a link to your portfolio and a rough quote/your rates and I’d love to speak with you further.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puffington Coates
Apr 10, 2013
I currently run a WordPress site that is in need of an overhaul, with some custom made graphics. Looking for a website designer w/ some graphic design skills to handle this project, but I can hire a different person for the graphics if it comes down to it. Just looking to hire as few ppl as possible.

I also have another project that needs a programmer who is capable of building a small membership site from the ground up (not looking to use WP plugins for a member's site).

Please contact me (sabadgirl at gmail) if you are interested or have any questions regarding these projects, my budget etc.

Thanks!

Puffington Coates fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 24, 2014