Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hi doodly goons. I'm looking for an illustrator for a client project my studio is working on at the moment. Here's the short version of what we're looking for:

quote:

A small restaurant client of ours is going to be at Comic-Con this year and wants to create a super hero based on their brand. We're in the process of brainstorming names, but need some help coming up with the visuals. The main deliverables would be a few initial exploratory sketches so we can choose a direction, and then a fully produced illustration in the style of a comic book cover which would be applied to a t-shirt. The client is also playing with the idea of other collateral and items as well (posters, maybe action figures if they get crazy with it), but those would be down the road a ways.

We've chatted with the client previously about sort of a cliched Marvel-style approach, but we're open to other styles as well. Please PM me if you're interested and I'll hook you up with more details!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Haven't got PMs, but I'm interested! I've done some cover-style work before (example); you can see more of my stuff at my portfolio.

Please drop me a line at sooztacular at gmail if you'd like me to work with you!

Will do! Also for anyone else interested without PMs, I'm monitoring the thread so please also feel free to reply. :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640219

I'm not sure if this is cool. I hope it is. I'm a feeble idiot and not a predator. I need a business card design. If you've done something like this and have a sample, send me the sample and if I like it, I'll pay 20 bucks for you to make me my own business card! No unnecessary work required!

http://us.moo.com/

You'll probably get a better product, tbh. You're going to have to spend way, way more than $20 for printing anyways.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

No, I am sorry. I have no concept of value when it comes to things like business cards. How much would be fair for something like this?

Depends on the quality you're looking for, really. I wouldn't be surprised if you get bites for $20, but it's probably going to suck and/or you'll be taking advantage of students who don't know any better and just need the money.

A low priced freelance designer would be at least $40/hr. Coming up with a couple design directions, mocking them up for you, producing your chosen direction and sending it to a printer would probably be in the 2-10 hour range depending on how quick they are and how difficult of a client you are. ;)

Quality printing for business cards (eg. not a Kinkos job) on reasonably sturdy stock will be in the $500+ range.

e: This is of course all assuming you want something that's completely customized and of professional quality. If you don't care enough to spend this much on business cards and if you don't want to put in at least minimal effort with a talented designer, you really should just use a service like Moo.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

$500+ for printing :monocle:

How many cards are you talking kedo? The cheapest stock I print on at 450gsm un-laminated, I charge £60 for 500x. My highest quality stocks (Conqueror, Rives) I charge £160 for 500x. Excluding artwork, does that seem crazy low? Obviously foil blocking, letterpress, spot UV etc are added on as extra.

Just pulled up a recent estimate from one of our favorite printers for 500 cards. We almost always do spot color offset jobs, so that tends to add to the price I believe. This paper was either a Cougar or a Mohawk.

quote:

each of one 2/1 [client name] Business Card, 3.5 x 2 Ultra White 130# Superfine Cover Smooth, printed
color front in 7625 ink, 2 colors back in 7625, BLACK ink

$491

£160 for 500 is about what I'd expect for a quality digital job on some nice stock.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

:siren: MAKE SOME ART, GET SOME :10bux: :siren:

I have specific artistic needs for a themed gag gift. Easy gig!

• Draw me a pin-up girl style image (details below)
  • Get :10bux:

But there is a catch. I don't want just any pinup image.
Instead of women, I want you to draw an alien from District 9 (Google "District 9") in a "pinup girl / centerfold girl" style.
The idea is that instead of aliens lusting after our women, the aliens have the idea that WE want THEIR women.

So in short, just as a visual example of what I want:

Line drawing, sketch, cartoony, silhouette, magazine-ad style, it's your choice. Tone can be goofy, (mock)serious, whatever you want. Black and white, color, it's up to you. gently caress, even (especially) pixel art would be good. As long as it's a District 9 (or close enough) alien as a pinup girl, I'm happy.

I need a handful of them so here's how to do this:
1. Go ahead and draw something up (no need to get in touch with me first, if you are reading this you are GOOD TO GO)
2. Post the image here (easiest) or email it to me at rb@aeinnovations.com instead.
3. I'll pay :10bux: for every single one until I say STOP. (If you're making more than one please mix it up in some way)

Payment is either via paypal, or I can buy you something from your Steam wishlist worth about the same.

The sooner the better, so don't delay!

Unless you pay me $10 your post is for spec work and is against the rules!!!!

GIVE ME MONEY!!! PM me for my paypal!!!!!!!!!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ZentraediElite posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, so I apologize.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what I would need for putting together a simple website for my father's business. He runs a small independent motel. I'm envisioning a simple landing page with contact information, a picture or two of the property, some simple driving directions, and maybe a description of local attractions.

COBOL would be the place to put this question, but honestly for what you're talking about you should just go with someone like Square Space.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Hey Goons,

I posted here a little over a month ago trawling for underpaid design services for the catering company I'm starting with my girlfriend.

Noted forums user Arthil took up the call and has produced work that is so far and beyond what we have paid him to do it's unreal. I am here simply to state how god drat happy we are with our decision to post here and go with him. He's literally not stopped going the extra mile for everything we've asked of him. In addition to designing our logo to fit the vague 'personality' of our brand that we gave him, he deftly guided us when we needed input on color palettes and fonts. He never became impatient (we literally exchanged 60+ emails on notes and revisions) and all the while gave us the impression that he cared more about us achieving our vision than about wrapping up the project. He will be our designer of choice as long as we stay in business, and this will hardly be the last place I recommend his work. His work for us can be seen at https://www.titorons.com. On top of everything, I am embarassed to say how little money he did all of this incredible work for; Arthil is truly a man amongst goons.

Thank you, Goons, for your time.
And thanks, Arthil!

Give him free food!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's going to be an ink stamp onto some wood, and I want to embrace the rustic sort of look inherent to the wood grain and the ink stamp itself; the current logo is too sharp and perfectly defined for that. It's also too low-res.

TLDR: I just want a modified logo (reads: clearlyclocks.ca) that looks a little like it was already stamped in ink. Tried a couple filters in gimp and out of ideas so it's time to get someone who knows wtf they are doing.

FYI, if you're physically stamping wood with a small rubber stamp, it's going to have 'unclean edges' already because ink stamps never work absolutely perfectly, and the ink will soak into the wood. You probably don't need to perform any sort of weathering on the art – crisp would be better.

Also the longer you use the stamp the more it will become weathered itself, resulting in character building cracks and whatnot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You should really post this in ADTRW coz you'll get 50,000 responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I am of the opinion that people posting for spec work in this sub-forum should receive a nice six hour suspension for being ignorant jerks and completely failing to read the OP.