Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
As a result, the spec work threads in SA Mart will get far fewer sarcastic replies from me. It's a win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Technocrat posted:

Bon morning!

My creative area is games, specifically retro Lucasarts/Sierra-style adventures (think "Monkey Island", "Sam and Max", etc). I'm not a great artist, but up until lately, we've been quite comfortable operating at a pixel-art kind of level. As of lately, we've decided to try something a little less...well, pixelly. While we're quite capable of the programming side of things, a basis for the art is what we're lacking.

We're constructing a demo in the old comedy-adventure style to test feasibility of some new ideas, and we need an artist to produce turnaround reference-images for 4-7 cartoon characters. In terms of style, we've been dealing with "Sam and Max Hit the Road" kind of levels thus far, but we want to turn it up to something like "Curse of Monkey Island". For example below, here's an old version of the protagonist we've been using thus far -

We need him upgraded to look like he wouldn't be out of place in an environment like this:

Of course, we're looking to pay £££ for it. If it sounds like the kind of thing you'd be interested in, drop a message to jod (at) technocratgames (dot) com

Sent you an email!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm a 3D and 2D artist and 2D designer available for freelance and contract work. My day job is as an environment artist for Disney Interactive on the Disney Infinity title.

I'm looking for quality clients that I can work with directly to produce the art that they need without too much drama and I always tend to negotiate rates that fit in with a project's budget.

2D design: http://design.mutatedjellyfish.net/
3D game art: http://www.worthdayley.com/
Email: worthdayley@gmail.com

Cheers!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
^^^ :laugh:

Heaven help whoever takes that gig...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
How about we continue mocking the job and then you can show your boss this thread and our wit and snark will melt his cold, frozen heart and he'll run out and buy gifts to Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I read your post out loud to my art team here at work and we all had a good laugh. I guess that's what you meant about "entertainment venture"?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

null_pointer posted:

Hello, creative people.

I'm a homebrewer who is working on a label design for a very small batch of beer. The end result will be printed on a 3.7"H X 3.5"W static cling label.

I have a rough design which I have created in photoshop, but while I like the direction that I am going, I simply don't have the skills, the training, or the eye to be able to execute it. I would like a trained designer to spend a small amount of time cleaning it up, and making it acceptable for printing.

Please feel free to PM or post if you are interested, and we can work out a contract.

I can help you with this. Email me at worthdayley@gmail.com . My portfolio is http://www.mutatedjellyfish.net/design .

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

IHeartBoobs posted:

Hello! I'm a professional motion graphics designer/compositor/VFX artist/3D guy freelancing under the name Designslashmotion. I specialize in broadcast media. Oh, I'm also an illustrator. I was actually a professional illustrator before I became a motion designer, and I'm actually looking to get a lot more illustration work again.

I've done work for clients like ESPN, MLB Network, NBC, CBS, CBC and Food Network. I have an Emmy award for outstanding graphic design production for MLB Tonight on MLB Network. You can check out a lot of my most recent work on my website:

http://www.mayzis.com

There isn't a tremendous amount of new illustration work on there yet, but just wait! If there's anything there that you do like and are interested in buying prints, I'm sure I can accommodate. Just let me know.

I'm looking to support clients on a wide variety of projects. If you'd like to contact me directly, you can email me at:

dmayzis<at>mayzis<dot>com

Awesome, awesome work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Wrong place.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Your buddy who did some design in college that one weekend.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Props to him for taking the snark so well, though! :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sithsaber posted:

Lack of collective bargaining and simple supply and demand allows low wages. This is why Cracked works your rear end off and then pays you poo poo. Either you see this as exploitation or you see it as simple economic reality that builds up your personal portfolio. Take this in mind and cut Jay O a break.

Well you obviously view it as exploitation considering your last posts.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I don't get why you can't just accept that writing for Cracked is payment enough in itself. :colbert:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Passive-aggressive client ahoy! Evasive maneuvers!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
:sigh: I'd be very reluctant to work for you at any price seeing how defensive you're getting over someone breaching the subject of payment, which you didn't bring up at all in your initial post despite it being very clearly stated in the thread that this is a thread for paid work only.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 13, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
A fully painted commission like that would run hundreds of dollars.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

RCarr posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes... I am looking to have a design made up that I can print on a t-shirt and then sell. (I realize that I would have to go to SA Mart to commission this, which is fine) I have the design all planned out and everything, I just lack the artistic talents to do it (well) myself. If I commission this, and have it done, would I then own the rights to the image? Would it be legal for me to print it onto t-shirts for purchase? Or would the artist that sold it to me still have the rights? Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I'm new to all this.

Also, do I have any insurance that when I describe what I want, that the artist wont just create it and sell it himself?

Edit: Google tells me that the artist would have to agree contractually to give up copyright, or create the image under a 'work for hire' employment situation. It also says that this is a rare circumstance. Is this something that I could have done? Would the artist even own any rights to the image if it's not copyrighted?

This all comes down to what is in the contract between you and your designer, which you and he/she would discuss and come to an agreement. If you don't like what's in the contract, or they refuse to sign one themselves, you just walk away and find some other designer.

There's basically 2 general routes here: the designer either includes full rights and ownership upon delivery to you of the finished work or the designer can license the rights to you for a fee/percentage. There's also a middle ground option I've heard of where the designer grants rights for use, but includes a clause where if you need alterations or edits later on in the design's life that you have to ask the original designer if they want to do it first. I have no idea if that's widespread or what, though. The way I always do it is in my contract, I ask for 50% payment up front, then I do the work and send you low-res versions for review/approvals. Once you approve the final design, I wait for the last 50% of payment at which point I transfer full-res artwork plus full ownership and rights. That part is in the contract. Some designers might bawk at this, but I have a day job and I mostly just do freelance for individual hobbyists who are making craft beers in their garage or whatever, so I don't really care.

Anyway, short version is that you get a contract and if you don't like what's in the contract, you get a different designer.

Also, you are more than welcome to comission jobs here in this thread. You'll get quoted higher prices than at SAMart, but designers here tend to be a bit more organized and "legit". SA Mart is mostly design contests which you'll pay pennies for but you'll get designs that people do as fast as possible to make a quick buck. In general, that is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

ModeSix posted:

I need a really basic 3D shape made in preferably .fbx format.

What I am looking for is basically a cat shape as if it were a gummy bear.

Flat front and back with some thickness to it as it will rotate in a cartoony shape. I don't need any details in it, literally a flat shape as if it were a flat cat shaped cookie.

PM me or email me at aaymont at gmail dot calm. I don't expect this is a hard thing to do, perhaps 5 or 10 minutes work for someone who knows how to use Blender or Maya or 3DSMax.

edit: Something similar to this shape

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107511/00%20-%20Freelance/catCookie.fbx

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Hey, everyone! It looks like I need to make up a deficit of a few hundred dollars this month, so I'm looking for some graphic design jobs! I am very good at logos, but I can also do business cards, brochures, posters, invitations, or anything else you might need. I can even do some illustration, but that generally costs more. All prices are negotiated per client, so I'm willing to work with budgets; it will at least be a conversation instead of a set price tag.

Have a look at http://design.mutatedjellyfish.net for my overall 2D portfolio. Below are a few jobs I've done for people in this thread:

(This is actually a craft beer bottle label)

I also do 3D work, but that will be even pricier. My older 3D portfolio is here: http://www.worthdayley.com

Hit me up at worthdayley@gmail.com and we can work out a quick contract and I'll be able to pay my bills yaaaayyy!

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'll make you a logo for $600 under contract. Deal?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
My favorite is the exclamation point after the embarrassingly low price. Oh boy, forty whole American dollars?!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to offend. :)

I based the price on past requests for similar projects that I found on SA-Mart.

I have MS Paint and figured that someone with a few minutes to spare and 1000x more creative aptitude could throw something decent looking together. Thanks for your feedback though!

The unfortunate compromise that these forums have struck is that all spec work stays in SA Mart (when it should actually not be allowed at all, but whatevs). This forum and specifically this thread tends to be full of people who do this stuff as their primary means of living so you'll likely only get snark from us.

Good luck with your taking advantage and devaluing of a legitimate business, though! Send me free samples of whatever it is your business does.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
gently caress design contests.