Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Billy Tully posted:

:words:
Ken is awesome.

A million times this.

Mr Kastein has become one of my greatest friends courtesy of SA.

All around great dude who will help anyone, anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

After completely destroying a bench top vice (due to using it as a press with a jack handle) and buying my dad the best one they sell at sears, I completely understand the valve of a well built one.

At the same time I am sad you are doing it cheap/proper/quick instead of us ripping hydrolic rams out of a retard van at the junkyard and going forward that way.

kastein posted:

The rams out of those vans aren't anywhere near strong enough IMO. Those systems run at what, 2500psi maximum, with a piston diameter of ~1.25-1.5"? That's 4500lbs force per cylinder, even doubling all those numbers it wouldn't be as strong as my bottle jack is.

I still want to do something with tardvan hydraulics, but I have a feeling it'll be more along the lines of a hydraulic attachment for a tubing bender or a sheetmetal brake.

I need a tube bender (if I can't borrow a friend's gottrikes/jd2 plan built one) because there is no loving way I am paying the kind of price pros ask to do a cage, and the comanche will most definitely need one whenever I rebuild it.

Using a shop press manually is terrifying enough, what with the pumping, the hiding, the pumping some more and then the horrible explosion that makes everyone in a 5 mile radius hide in terror.

With power, you would lose all feel for the work, which would be unsafe IMHO. It would be too easy to put way too much force on an object way too quickly.

That being said, simple AC powered hydraulic reservoirs and pumps are available for car lifts, although those probably also don't generate the pressure necessary. Lifting a car is a lot different from concentrating 12 tons on a 1" wide point.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

That is all far too far away from me. I wouldn't buy it if it was next door, though...

On another subject I am tired of wearing out steering intermediate shafts in the MJ. Used ones, even ones that don't seem to have any wear or play in the joints, don't last all that long when you drive like a maniac.

Three options.
1. dealer replacement ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
2. Borgeson makes one, $284. Ouch.
3. Borgeson makes U-joints to connect anything to anything for steering. I need a 3/4" 30 spline to 3/4" smoothbore one at the steering box end and an unknown dimension double-D to 3/4" smoothbore one at the steering column end.

Problem: they say drilling and pinning the smooth bore section to a tube will weaken it by 30%. They also say not to setscrew it (duh!) and that welding it is not something they recommend. Alright, what the gently caress am I supposed to do, hot glue it on?

Ideas? Ideally I'd get the U-joints separately from the U-joint yokes and simply weld the yokes onto the tube before pressing the U-joints in, but they don't seem to sell them that way, only preassembled and staked in place.

This all will help a lot when I go to build the frame (still planning that...) because the steering box probably won't end up in the factory location, so the factory steering shaft may not be the right length.

e: I will probably just nut up and buy the premade one eventually, they make them in various lengths and recommend simply disassembling them (they have a telescoping section in the middle) and cutting down till the length is right if your application isn't quite normal. Jesus though, $284? This is an expensive hobby dammit. The u-joints themselves are $80 each, so $120 for welding, slip joint, and two tubes that sleeve inside each other and lock together rotationally plus a rubber bellows boot... I guess that isn't really too too bad.

Option 4 :

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automotive-4713943-Steering-Column/dp/B008VPWBTY

$105

Granted, it isn't a permanent upgrade, being OEM equivalent, but still. I tried like hell but I could NOT find the Borgeson any cheaper, though.

I think I might actually attempt to rebuild the steering box in my XJ at some point, now that I see how cheap the rebuild kits are. drat.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 26, 2013

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

Mission: SUCCESS

There is an nv4500 in the back of toiletjeep.

...and here's the evidence.

The victim.

Mileage

Vin

Obligatory Giant Kastein in a tiny car picture.

Kastein regards this "Boxster" with contempt.

Also here's a bonus 5 second video of the transmission being broken free with the clutch pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxn7JNJheFY

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd suggest drones, but Ken will probably actually build one if I do.

Then someone will get killed by a falling AX15.

Clearly you haven't been to an neai meetup if you think a drone is necessary for this to be a risk.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Go find a webcam in the office and livestream this poo poo.

The camera would be on for five minutes before a wave of pure rage blew it up. Also Kastein might single-handedly cause the FCC to begin regulating private streaming.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Are the hot dogs any good?

Food products with the names of two different people on the box are always the best. It's a universal rule.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

You know that fantasy everybody has, where you hit that virgin junkyard, with stock that has sat untouched for thirty years.. Kastein and I hit that junkyard today. We lived the dream. This *was* a "we-pull-it" that is now under new management and functioning as a "you-pull-it."

Maybe, but this third gen vette isn't driving anywhere.

Apparently this is where lovely VW kit cars go to die.

Sucks for his girl.

Mass residents will recognize these trailers:

Hello random mustang..

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

There's a right-hand drive XJ that I see on my daily commute, I'll get a picture of it one day.

Fun fact, most of these are JDM imports that rural post offices bought for mail delivery.

http://www.rightdrivejeeps4postal.com/

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

First, I found out that the PO's mechanic hamfucked the rollpin, only about 80% of it remained. Old, new:

Much better.

Argghhhh, roll pins! My AR-15 lower building PTSD! TRIGGER WARNING THAT poo poo!

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

I'm sorry, i over reacted.

You always know how to make me weak in the knees. Well, maybe that's mostly the lyme disease.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

Looks like Fart Pipe was having trouble posting this

It's not an illusion, Kastein really is 7' tall.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

elektrotechnik posted:

What the hell ACE already had the perfect muffler in his garage!

poo poo, Ken, I would have bought you the 1" to 4" adapter, even!

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTasS-sIIZY

Camera position sucks and I can't edit it on mobile so until Monday night, everything after the ten minute mark is me trying to get 4x4 to disengage and pretty boring. I will trim it down then.

What, you took the go-around on hell root? PUSSY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

:words:
Also found out my parts car front cut has a front swaybar (my car doesn't) so once I fix the rear swaybar link anchor on the control arm, I can put both sways on and really have a racecar :haw:

But what about all your flex?!