Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sorry to hear things have been tough :( But glad to see you back!

What are our thoughts on rewards? Giant piles of money are always handy, but maybe we should use a favor for something money can't buy - more work, connections? Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
I'd say get paid for the contract, ask for more work as a reward. Maybe contacts with someone who can both supply us with more work AND something else useful. Also possibly connections to fix the 'jack, last I recall it was in pretty bad shape

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Getting the 'jack fixed is no issue. Jevkins will have access to a full shop and people with formal training in mechanika. What type of work are you looking for and where are you looking to do it?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think we need enough cash to maybe replenish and upgrade our gear a little. Anyone have preferences on where to go? We could dive back into Llael and the Thornwood if we want to get knee-deep in a war, Caspia to tangle with Menoth or Ord for some freelancing. I think we might have more character interests in the immediate area?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan would definitely prefer killing monsters to killing other men at this juncture, so wherever is more likely to send us against Cryx, Everblight, or exploring would be preferable

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Anyone else weighing in? If not, lets try and pick a fight with some nightmarish terrors for the sake of king and country (also gold)

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Skorne or Cryx?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Which burns better?

ed: anything in specific besides the jack need fixing and/or something I need to throw socializing dice at? I just realized its been 27 months since I made this PC and need to reread what I can do.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 17, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm scared of skeletons, let's go fight some terrifying desert monsters!

So I guess we're asking for payment for bringing everything in, and a job in the Bloodstone Marches?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
I'm down for desert monster huntin'

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
"There is some unpleasantness to the east," the governess sighs, "perhaps after you rest up a bit you can run down to Caspia and check in with an acquaintance of mine. Rystan Bermal, ask for him at the Broken Star Inn. Might not be a bad idea to get you out of civilization for a bit, nice fresh air, beautiful scenery, no Cryx spies."

"Oh, and don't forget this," she says giving a small chest a solid kick, "you have earned it after all."

You each get 4xp and 500(? If you'r going to throw social dice at someone it might as well be the lady paying you) gold for completing the mission. Scrive will be back up to 100% in one week. In the meantime, what are you doing in Corvis?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Okay, will have a post up here after work asap

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 31, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Turns out I have no negotiating skill, so I'll leave that to Boomer. I'll get a post up with xp advances, etc, tomorrow, because I seem to have misplaced my book

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
I'd like to resupply then try to find any information on where we're going and what we'll be fighting

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I apologize guys, I've been having a mental block all weekend and know I'm holding up the show, but if I don't get a post up within a day-ish just move on.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'll kick things forward if you're still stuck by this evening, Ronwayne. In the meantime I wanted to record advances. With 4xp we get +1 Spell, Ability, Connection, or Military Skill (10xp) and +1 Archetype benefit (12xp).

For Archetype Benefit, I am going to pick up Battlefield Coordination (Allows allies in CMD to fire into melee without penalty or first of hitting allies). I'm probably just going to pick up another point on Crossbow for the other advance, but I'm still making sure there aren't any abilities I don't want instead. If anything thinks I am making dumb choices let me know!

For the upcoming week, I guess we should split whatever funds we get for personal/group restocking, although it might make sense to save a bunch of it until we're in Caspia - that way we can buy based on what we know about the job. Annalise will return to the King's Quill to sort out accomodations for our stay, and try to get some information on the best way to get to Caspia and any risks - hopefully there isn't trouble within the borders!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Battlefield Coordination is a great choice for your group with the amount of gunslinging y'all do. You're well enough inside Caspia's borders that it's not terribly dangerous. You can travel down river or take an overland route. Overland, if you keep Jevkins and Scrive around, will mean you need a supply of coal to keep the 'jack running, or a cart to haul him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Having been rewarded and dismissed by the Governess, a weight has been lifted from her shoulders. The debacle that she and her comrades walked into has been resolved, and there is no longer the spectre of Cygnarian justice hovering over her. Granted the Golden Crucible are probably not going to be too fond of her any time soon, but she'll have to live with that. As much has been set right as possible, she's got the Charter she so dearly wanted, and it's time to move on.

"Well friends, going east sounds keen to me. I've had enough of Cryxian things trying to drag me into the muck, so a good deal distance from Corvis and the front - least, this front - will be a relief. I owe you all for helping to bring this around, with it not being personal to all of you as it is to me. After you've had a chance to stretch your legs and get a load off, I hope you'll meet me at the King's Quill. It's an inn by the docks, and we can get ourselves figured for the next move. Which won't be for a bit yet, I know we all need a chance to rest and relax. No sense in earning swans if we don't spend them, eh?"

I suppose we should figure out the cost of a boat against the fuel/haulage of the jack. We can work it out while Jevkins is getting him fixed up. In the meantime, I'd suggest we split half the gold five ways for our own use, and reserve the other half for group costs and resupply when we reach Caspia. That way we can do any upkeep we need, and be in a position to make some purchases when we know what we're facing. Sound ok?

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2017

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Anyone else?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
sorry guys, I've been moving, haven't had much time. I'll try to get stuff up tomorrow.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
with my 50gc I'll purchase a slug gun and 10 slug rounds, I'll get the two-weapon fighting ability and pick up Preternatural Awareness (boosted INI, enemies never receive bonuses for back strikes) for my advances. With the downtime I'll see if I can't figure out who the proper owners of the handcannon we fished out of the river are so I can return their property to them.

EDIT: Can't take skills to 3 yet, and now I'm up to 3 viable weapons so might as well have two out at a time

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Whoops, missed the skill limit when planning my advances. I guess I'll pick up Light Cavalry instead of Crossbow 3, and keep Battlefield Coordination for my Archetype. With my share of cash I'll buy some additional ammunition (10 bolts, 5 rounds) and a spring-holster for my holdout pistol. I'll save the rest for buying anything specific in Caspia. I've updated my character sheet (including the cash reserved for the group to allocate).

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Sorry, I've been in traveling for work. We'll get started on the next leg tomorrow.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Boop

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Caspia
The Black River ran its course to the Gulf of Cygnar. And at the end of that journey you found yourself at the city of walls. Caspia. One of the oldest cities on Caen. It's watched kings die and living gods ascend. It was the rock on which the Orgoth invasion broke and the womb from which the first colossals were born. Some of the walls are as old as man, decorated with images of great heroes no one remembers. It's the walls you see first. Nearly a half day out. A shining city by the sea, split in two nearly a century and a half ago and still recoving from a recent war with its other half, Sul.

The city of ghosts is a ghost town compared to Caspia. Over a million humans call it home, and thousands of gobbers, ogrun, and even a few Rhulfolk and trollkin have settled in for the long haul. Growing roots in the walls.

Welcome to Caspia, greatest city in the Iron Kingdoms. You have a contact waiting for you at the Broken Star, and access to literally anything you can think of. But, coming through that first wall you find someone waiting for you, and it's not all good news. Who is it and what do they say?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Hat down to hide is face, mask just over his mouth to appear like he's worried about the air moreso than being recognized, company insignia newly painted on his shoulder. Weapons holstered but ready to draw, right hand by his pistol and left on the reins of his horse. This city has him nervous, and even worse he can't figure out why. He's used to old; Umbreans are one of the oldest kingdoms in the world and his home country is dotted with ancient towers and historic buildings. Maybe it's the sheer size; this place is massive, but the amount of beings living her make it compact, dense. There's no sense of space here, no air, and nothing familiar.

At least, until he gets out of the docks. They round the first corner on the way to the Broken Star and almost run into an Ogrun as big as Stoyans horse, follwed by a Gobber, followed by Khadoran kid no older than 18. They all wear the same grey longcoats and riding hats, with face masks around their necks but not over their mouths. The Ogrun looks down at Stoyan like he's going to say something witty, but instead stands there with his mouth agape like an idiot. The Gobber looks to the Ogrun, then also looks at Stoyan, back to the Ogrun, then back to Stoyan again in a fashion that would be comical if it wasn't made deadly serious by the posture of all three. The kid looks confused, then terrified as something slowly dawns on him.

For his part, Stoyan stands still, his hand resting on his pistol, and eyes both the Ogrun and Gobber warily. The tension lasts long enough for the crowd to notice, and people start to pass wide around the group and clear a space behind on both sides as if they're used to gunfights in the streets. The Gobber speaks first, with a quick and jovial voice that breaks the tension. "Holy Mother! You're alive! Ha ha, I thought for sure bullets would have been your weakness." He laughs at a joke no one else seems to be in on, and the Ogrun smiles. The kid looks like he's ready to wet himself, and Stoyan finally notices him, looks him over quickly, then his eyes dart back to the Gobber and he sighs. "Lifetime ago, Runt. Water under the bridge, which has been long since blown to pieces, rebuilt, and blown to pieces again."

The Gobber laughs, but no one else seems sure that it was joke. The Ogrun has slowly reached down and gripped his cleaver, a long bladed axe that looks more like it was made to kill horses then people, and the kid looks like he's ready to piss himself. Stoyan looks to the Ogrun and shakes his head, and the Ogrun relaxes his grip. Stoyan takes his hand away from his pistol and pets his horse on the snout, then looks back on the Gobber. "How'd you two survive? and with him?" The last line leaves no illusion that whatever history Stoyan and the kid have, it's full of bad blood. He says the word him the same way he says Cryx.

The Gobber just shrugs. "Luck, intuition, intelligence. It's not that hard to be smarter than a Khadoran.

The Ogrun, without missing a beat chimes in "we dressed Vik up as a woman, Runt as a sick child, and I put on shiny armor and pretended to be a bodyguard."

The Gobber looks down and tries to stifle his own laugh, while the Kid looks like he might be sick. Finally the Gobber looks up and asks in full seriousness "Who you working for these days, Stoyan?" The question brings back some of the tension, but Stoyan just shrugs his shoulder and points at Ana. The Gobber continues, obviously unsatisfied with the answer "any, uhhh, lingering jobs?"

Stoyan looks him dead in the face, makes direct eye contact that unnerves the Gobber, before very flatly replying "No. Those days are done. For all of us I'd wager" and just like, that tension falls out of the air. The Gobber genuinely smiles, the Ogrun takes his hand off the knife he'd been gripping in a side holster, and the kid moves forward and looks at Stoyan.

"Thanks for, uhh, you know, and not umm, you know, killing me, or anything."

The Gobber slips into Umbrean and speaks to Stoyan in a hushed tone. Whatever it is sounds like some kind of warning, and Stoyan takes a long look at the road while the Gobber is talking.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardennes

She knew her life on the road had made her a bit of a yokel, she had thought that the visits to Corvis and Five Fingers over the years had taken the edge off. But while Five Fingers was an ancient and bustling town, it was strewn across the islands as if someone had dumped a bucket of civilization across the water and left everything where it fell - an entirely different sort of place from Caspia with its looming, ancient walls. She's able to keep herself from gawking overmuch on the way in, but passing beneath those ancient arches it's hard not to be a little dazed by it all. Anna has to abandon the idea of seeing the sights before they take up their new work - it's clear that you would need far more time than they have to scratch the surface of the metropolis.

As Stoyan comes to a halt facing another group she brings her horse up short behind him, plainly puzzled by the reactions between the trio and Stoyan. Clearly there is some history at work here, but she can't work out what that is - or whether it means things are going to get ugly. She's sorely tempted to reach for her crossbow, but it's hard to imagine a worse introduction to the city than sparking an armed exchange on the packed street. She quashes the urge and has to comfort herself with the fact that her holdout pistol is just a movement away if anything goes downhill. There are calls and complaints as the two groups create a blockage in the street, with the flow cresting around them save for those wagons and other vehicles too large to fit past.

"Old friends, Stoyan? You must get around more'n I thought, if you're already bumping into folk you know in the city." The moment of threat seems to have passed between the group and her comrade, but she still gives them an appraising look and a thin smile, just so that it's clear that Stoyan has some back up if needed. Although, they trio seemed less than keen to tangle with him on his own merits, so maybe that isn't much needed. All the same, a charter has to show it's loyalty.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

The gobber and Ogrun used to be traders before the war, wandered around and sold odds and ends. After everything went to hell, they got hired to pick up the kid for a shotgun wedding. They know about my reputation in the area, and hired me to help them track the boy down. Turned out that they guy who hired us was a high up in local criminal syndicate, the kid was a local guards recruit who had evidence on him, and there was a second group sent to kill the kid once we found him and make it look like we'd done it. Whole thing turned into a gunfight, I get hit and they left me for dead. They wind up with the kid, I wound up a dungeon."

He sighs and looks out over the road for a minute. "I didn't get out by my charm. I did some jobs I'm not proud of, and eventually I was given a shot at real freedom. Kill those three, and I could ride off into the sunset. I tracked them to a refugee camp outside of the Five Fingers. They'd been smuggling supplies from all over the place. I got the drop on the Ogrun and took him to the ground. Should have just finished them all then and there, but they'd been the closest things to friends I'd had since, well, everything started. Runt and I go into a tent to have a conversation, and I get him to agree to play dead and head to the other side of the world. As I reached out to shake his hand, the drat kid starts firing into the tent, thinks I was going for a gun."

"Runt was good to his word, though."

He looks over at Ana again, then down at the ground. He speaks the last sentence low and full of shame "that last bit was a warning. They've been found out, which means they're marked men again. Seems likely I am as well."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She whistles low and quietly in appreciation of the mess he had gotten into -and out off. "When things go south, it ain't by half measures for you, is it?"

Anna shakes her head and glances over the crowd as she mulls Stoyan's story over - partially to scan for anyone paying a little too much attention to their meeting. She wouldn't expect it to draw much notice in a city like this, but she also doesn't want to end up with someone catching that there might be a swan or two in tracking them down and ruining their stay any more than necessary.

"Well, you helped me get the noose off my neck in Corvis - immediate one, at least - so I figure that you're owed a good turn on keeping you spry and breathing." Plus, she can't help compare Stoyan getting duped to her own heist debacle. Even if that's squared with the authorities now, it would have been easy for her to end up with it hanging over her head indefinitely - say, if she hadn't managed to bring in Montis. "Besides, doesn't seem right to hold a man's mistakes against him forever, so long as he's on the mend from them and doing his best at it. The way this is shaping up, maybe that ought to be our motto."

She settles back in her saddle and gives Stoyan a thoughful look. "So where is this syndicate, and what're the odds they'll be reaching all the way to Caspia and the Marches for you? If your old friends are here, I'm hopin' its because they figured this was far enough to be safe. What do you reckon?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"He ran a group of Bratyas and Pirates out of Vladovar. He wasn't someone with reach when I left, but now? And he had money, maybe enough to hire the Kayazy, and they are everywhere." Stoyan continues to watch the crowds as they begin to near their destination. "Of course, if he hired they Kayazy, and the catch wind of where we're headed, they might just report me good as dead and move on with their lives."

He's silent for a moment, as if making a decision. He finally seems to decide, and begins to speak again, his voice bitter and sad. "I don't know that I'd call it a mistake, Anna. You don't understand the North. You've barely set foot there. Khador is building an Empire, and it doesn't care how many of it's own people that will cost. If you aren't a Noble, you can die as a part of the conquest, you can die working for the conquest, or you can die fighting against the conquest. Old timers still sing of the old values of freedom, family, and homeland, but it's hollow now. Banditry and assassination are probably nobler jobs than making guns these days. At least then you have to look the people you're hurting in the eyes." He casts his eyes down at the ground and chokes back a sigh. "She is still a beautiful land, though. Forests covered in snow at dusk, people grown twice as strong as the ancient oaks. But you don't hear the sound childrens laughter anymore, nor of the young rejoicing. Everywhere is cold and grey and filled with death and shadows of lives that were and could have been."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

"Let's hope that they've not stretched their arm all the way here yet - have to be a pretty plucky shot to take right in the middle of Caspia. And once we're out of here, well, heck of a trip for someone without a personal stake in it." Although they're planning to traipse into the Marches for about the same reason, so maybe there isn't that much of a shortage on people short on sense and long on a payday.

Annalise has roamed back and forth between Corvis and Five Fingers, with some modest forays across the border with the Thornwood Forest and less settled. Stoyan is right that the trip up the river into Llael is as far north as she has gone. And that can't be called much of a cultural exchange, given that the place was more or less on fire. Hard to appreciate it's charms. She's not quite sure what she expected of Khador, the grim giant to the north, but it's not what Stoyan is painting. "Guess I never thought too hard about it; from this side of the line, it always seemed like everyone was pretty gung-ho for it, but you don't get much of a peek past the gunsmoke to know what's going on back there. Maybe I figured folks were getting fat on the loot from Llael, but from our trip it looks like that isn't as plump as they hoped."

She falls silent for a few moments; while the northern war has been hanging over Cygnar, it's only recently turned up the heat and rolled to their own borders. It never occurred to her that the engine has been pumping longer for Khador, and probably at greater cost to propel their armies forward. "Sounds like it would be just fine if people were left to their own lives. Think you could say that about a lot of places." She shakes her head, "Got to say though, you aren't selling me on a trip. At least the Marches won't be cold and grey. The rest, though..."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"and in the marches, we get to meet new and exciting forms of life, and probably kill them. Bugs the size of Warmachines, rivers that run red with blood, so much sun you're guaranteed to get a tan and then burn to death! I can hear the salesman now." Stoyan smiles a little, thinking about what lies ahead. "No more shooting at people, no more horrid undead abominations. Now we get to focus upon the completely normal living kind of abominations."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

"Plus, at least it sounds like all the things that are out to kill you in the Marches are decent enough to be honest about it. We may get baked in the sun or mauled by some desert beast, but it won't be more than we were warned. I'm about sick of looking for Cryxian agents behind trees and rocks - and I'm sure you're not keen on double-guessing folk for Kayazy too much neither. So this way it's bitter and hostile, but all the cards are on the table and we can make our calls clean."

She's rather hoping that the Marches turn out to be a little less of a deathtrap than advertised - or that their job there isn't quite as bleak as one might guess, but if nothing else she'll take comfort in the fact that the deserts far from the coast don't seem to be favored land for the forces of the Dragon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Boop

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Caspia
The rest of the walk to the Broken Star passes without event. You find what is, by Caspian standards at least, an average in for the mercantile class. Compared to the last few days it feels opulent. Chairs have cushions, the tankards are clean, and you can actually identify what's being roasted in the kitchen. The common room is quiet, with only a handful of middle aged men sitting about spending other peoples money and getting only slightly drunk.

A man from one table walks to the hearth to tamp out a pipe, and in passing drops a small envelop on Annalise's foot. Pipe settled he returns to his table and continues wheeling and dealing. Based on what you can overhear it sounds like he is trying to sell a heard of cattle.

The seal on the envelop is blue wax with a cygnet pressed into it. The note reads:

Dear Heavily Armed Mercenaries,

Unfortunately, I cannot talk to you in public at the moment as I must retain my cover. However, I will be taking my supper in my room this evening and can explain our current unpleasantness in the east. Third floor, second door on the left. Try to be discreet.

Faithfully,

Rystan Bermal

Post Script: Would any of you be interested in three hundred head of Midlund cows?

From behind you hear something about hoof in mouth disease.

Runt and his crew is now a contact you can use while in Caspia to procure any less than legal items. Both Annalise and Stoyan receive 1xp for that exchange. Also, I am somehow not dead.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hooray!

Annalise Ardenne

Well, compared to their digs in Corvis this seems like a classy joint. The clientele makes her acutely aware what a band of stomping brigands she has trooped in with; not exactly blending into the crowd, but what can she do? It's not as if she picked the meeting spot. All the same, this place might be a little less tolerant of mercenary quirks than some of their regular dives. As she finds a table she glances to the others "On good behavior now, right? I don't think we can afford to replace the furniture here." There shouldn't be any reason to expect it to come apart, but between her luck, Stoyan's past and Boomer's magnetism for destruction it's always on the cards.

When the note is dropped she shifts her boot to cover it from view. Once they've ordered drinks, she'll scoop it up and crack the seal to read it as slyly as she can. Then it's refolded and tucked into her belt for safe keeping. Amid their idle chatter, she'll drop word of the plan "Looks like we've a dinner date tonight, upstairs." She considers how they can possibly be discrete about the meeting. "Might be we'll have a room here tonight, so the staff won't wonder at us trundling up there."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
[i]grats on not being dead. I've had a stomach bug for the last couple of days that has just kept me down. [i]

Stoyan

"Are you sure we can afford a room in place like this? I mean, they actually clean the cups. It is probably the easiest way to get upstairs, though."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Stoyan has a point. She's pretty sure they can swing a room with their current bank but it might not be the best way to spend that hard-earned cash. "Mr. Cowpoke must not want our association too public if he's dropping notes like a schoolboy, so I figure the truth isn't the best course here. We could probably sneak someone up - have a little commotion develop and someone could slink right up while eyes were elsewhere, but I'd rather have all ears for whatever we're walking into here."

Annalise takes a pull of her drink and eyes it appreciatively; turns out that an establishment of this class doesn't water the beer like the usual standard of accommodation. It's tempting to indulge in the luxury of clean dishes and unpissed beer. "Let's figure what a room is and see how deep it cuts. Maybe they'll have a couple modest rooms for folks' retainers or the like."

How badly is a couple night's at the inn going to cost us?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

:rip:

• Locked thread