Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg isn't sure what to do in this situation. The plan was simple, with any luck it could have been pulled off without hurting anybody. But now someone else got there before them and possibly killed people who didn't need to get involved.

In a bit of a stage whisper Slagg asks the others. "Find anything?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

She sets her axe to the side, still in reach, so that she can use both hands to turn over the garment and examine it more closely. In the dim light it takes her a moment to recognize it as belonging to one of her comrades - Jeff. She frowns in confusion and then mutters a curse, grabbing her axe and heading down from the hoist with all possible speed.

"Something's very wrong here" She mutters as she descends. She can't think of any possible way for Jeff's coat to end up on the hoist, even if things managed to go really badly for them inside without any sign of it to her and Julian. He was wearing it, wasn't he? She has a moment of doubt trying to recall, but it's not like that would explain it well either. This whole thing seems like a mess, and she's more and more inclined to cut and run from the whole venture.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff merely shrugs in response to Collin's question

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
What's everyone's current course of action?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise (and I assume Julian) are going to head back around to where Slagg breached the wall to get into the warehouse and get the rest of the team. From there she's planning to head back to the boat and bail on this entire mess, getting them as far from the warehouse as reasonable.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Slagg is awaiting a response from the others. When they respond, or when Annalise shows up, it will be time to leave. This has gone down the drain so fast.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff is going to meet with the others outside and see if he can see how someone got in and took the trunk out

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Once Jed sees someone from his position, he's going to get help to get Stonks and Mary out of the building. After that, probably get to a hospital and pull a "Yeah, we were leaving a bar, saw these two in bad shape, did the best we could, you guys take over, it's 10 minutes before last call!" Once the two are taken care of, yeah we need to regruop and figure what happened. Maybe talk to Stonks and Mary once they recover.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Julian's going to follow Annalise's lead.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin is covering Jeff, regrouping with the others.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Job

Julian and Annalise carefully pick their way around the building. They arrive at the breached wall unmolested. The warehouse, and strangely the entire block, are still deathly quiet. Just beyond the ruined wall they can see the rest of their company, except for Jed, approaching empty-handed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She frowns behind the mask, not having expected to find everyone apparently fine. But, there they are, and the cops haven't circled them either. This whole thing feels like a setup, but there doesn't seem to be any follow through. With her colleagues approaching she shoulders the crossbow, draping Jeff's coat over one arm - she figures she can talk about that with them when they're on the boat, rather than lingering here for a discussion.

"Nothing? Alright, lets get back to the boat and out of here. I hate the way this whole thing stinks right now." And she doesn't just mean that rotting stench. She starts to turn toward the dock, then does a double-take on the approaching group "Where's Jed? Did he find something?" She doubts they'd be quite so at ease if something had happened to him.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Where did everyone go? Jed wondered. He didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, no screams or explosions. Looking back at Stonks and Mary, he decided it was time to be proactive. With a warehouse concerned with the storage and moving of alchemical components, there should be some handcarts for moving cargo. Jed figured if he could find one, he could load the two unconscious people up on it, then cart them outside.

Figure I'd head outside with the others rather than wait for someone to come get me.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff approaches the others with empty hands. "Jed was taking care of stabilizing Stonks and Mary, they had been hurt rather severely, but I see him coming now. We did not find the trunk, someone had already beaten us to it." He then starts explaining the situation inside, with the laborjack destroyed, no sign of the guards, the front door barred from the inside, and being unable to find how they got the trunk out. "We came back out hoping you guys might of seen something outside giving any indication of how they got in."

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

"Front is locked. From the inside. Nobody around. Jeff saw some tracks leading away. We need to follow those, or get the survivors to safety and see what they know. Or both. We definitely shouldn't hang around here. This was a crime scene before we even got here, and I don't want credit for it," Collin spits in a harsh whisper. He kept his rifle trained on the rooftops of the surrounding buildings, scanning in a jittery, almost panicked fashion.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

drat, this whole thing is a mess. She makes a noise of disgust at the whole situation, and then shakes her head to Jeff's question. "It's been quiet as a grave out here, no sign of anything. Well, except this..." She hands Jeff the coat found hanging from the hoist, with a questioning look. "...on the hoist next door." Now she is totally confused as to how it got there, and what it might mean.

Though she's watching Jeff, her eyes flicker past him to the sight of Jed emerging with injured parties in tow. Not only did they miss the trunk, they've somehow gotten stuck playing nursemaid for these two. Who will probably finger them for the whole thing as soon as they recover. drat, drat, drat. "I agree we need to get out of here, but we can't haul those two on a tracking venture. Let's take the boat out of here, get them to some care, and try to work out what we're doing from here." Now that Jed has taken a hand, she can't really advocate ditching the injured pair to chase up the tracks. She's not sure they want to catch what left them.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

"Yeah, quicker we get these two safe, quicker we can figure out what happened," Jed says as he catches up with the others. "Boss," he continues at Ardenne, "pardon my bluntness, but this is cacked. I saw ectoplasm at the cage where the crate was. Something passed through the cage, wrecked a 'jack, hurt these two - I don't want to say "This reeks of Cryx", but this is feeling truly dreadful."

Pushing the cart towards the boat, Jed continues. "Let's talk on the way to the nearest hospice, or wherever. Maybe when they recover we could just ask them what happened. Long shot, but hey, might be all we got."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Julian di Lioni

Jed, just what are you doing? Had we been here first, we would've had to crack their skulls ourselves. Julian doesn't say that aloud, of course. No need to rock the boat, so to speak. "I agree, let's get out of here and question those two. Any shelter or hidey-hole will do. Let's make haste, we've lingered for too long long."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg nods and helps carry the two unconscious forms. Medicine isn't exactly his forte, but being big and strong was, and the sooner they got out of here the better. The place is starting to get to Slagg.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She pinches the bridge of her nose in frustration, as if that might quell the headache she is sure is coming on. Between his burst of inconvenient altruism and the grim news about the mess inside, Annalise isn't terribly fond of Jed at this moment. On the other hand, calling her 'Boss' earns him a good deal of leeway. She likes the sound of that, even it means that she is in charge of this whole debacle. Putting her delusions of grandeur aside for a few moments, they need to get moving. "Cryx. Morrow help us, as if this wasn't a big enough mess already. Let's go." She turns to lead the way toward the boat, which is hopefully still waiting for them and in the same shape they left it. "If the place is drenched in ectoplasm, at least that makes us less likely suspects." You have to look for the silver linings.

She waves to the closest deck hand as they near the boat, signaling for them to be ready to cast off. "Up anchor fellas, and set course for as close as the river gets to a doctor - we've got wounded here." Unless there is a floating hospital they'll probably have to haul Stonks and Mary some distance, but the boat will probably get them closer quicker - and put distance between them and this warehouse and whatever might be lurking in the dark. Plus, whenever the watch finally closes in on this place, they'll do it from the streets, surely. Funny that they're still not showing up she muses Especially when they were supposed to be watching to use whatever ruckus we caused as reason for entry tonight. Hmm.

Alright, lets get moving. We'll haul Stonks and Mary onto the boat and cast off. If no one knows a place for medical treatment conveniently on the river, we should just head up into a more civilized area and dock again, then carry them to a hospice or doc. I figure that at least one of us should know where to find a doctor, being as mercs get banged up enough.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

The two old hands give your company a queer look as you load up Stonks and Mary, but keep their mouths shut. The punt their way to the middle of the river and begin heading back towards the city proper. A few tense minutes pass when one of the oarsmen tugs Annalise's and points at a river galleon that is slowly overtaking you. "I reckon these are friends of yours?"

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Collin Burke

"poo poo," Collin spits. "Shitshitshitshitshit. It was a setup I told you I told you it was a setup."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

The river galleon is quickly closing the distance. The oarsman looks back, "We might be able to outrun it... or we can try to make for the shore."

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Jed Westman

Damnit! From bad to - well, at least so far they didn't look like undead monsters. Jed reached into his bandoleer and withdrew one of his Knockout Grenades. Heading to Slagg, he goes "If we let 'em get close, Slagg here could throw this at 'em. They take a nap, we book it. Just a thought."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

"Oarsman quickly raise the sail!" yells Jeff. When the boatmen finish setting the sail up, Jeff summons the power of the wind to get them the gently caress out of there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

When the oarsman draws attention to the galleon, she mutters a string of curses, before snapping at Collin "Was or not, here we are. Now prep that rifle - we might need your shooting." Hopefully giving him something to do will help him pull it together. The last thing they need is any panic on a small boat.

"Let's see if we can outrun them - but keep that grenade handy." If Jeff can't give them the speed they need, then they'll probably need the help. As the sails go up she ducks under the boom, moving to the stern of the boat and unslinging her crossbow while she moves. Once at the back she'll crouch low - just in case there's a sniper on their chaser, and try to make out any details of the boat or it's crew and who it might be. She has a sinking feeling that Collin is right and it's their 'friend' from the city watch.

I'll try a Perception check to get more information on the galleon - if it's flying any colors, the boat is marked somehow, or if we can see anything of it's crew. I'd prefer not to fire on the Cygnaran navy if we can avoid it, but a bunch of dock dregs are fair game

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

It takes a hot minute but the sail is raised and Jeff's spell fills it. The smaller boat begins to put some distance between itself and the river galleon... but not much and not fast enough.

6 PER. Between the gloom and the unnatural gusts Annalise can't see much, and can't hear anything. Not even orders to the other boat's crew.

"Are ya lookin' for a place to make a stand or trying to get to more civilized waters where there may be witnesses an' such?" asks the old hand at the rudder.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Damnation, I still lack power! But maybe another way would work...

"Wait. Let it get closer, then I'll shred the its sails with razor sharp gusts." Jeff says. With the galleon's sails no longer catching the wind, he can return to filling the groups small boat's sail with wind and carry them to safety.

I'll just be using the Razor Wind spell on the ships sail.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She gnaws on her lower lip, frustrated that the only thing she can tell about the larger vessel is that it's not falling behind fast enough. She flickers a glance over their injured cargo before responding to the old hand "I think we'd prefer the civilization, but I don't think we're going to make it in a run against our friend there."

She doesn't like the idea of tangling with the larger ship, but it doesn't seem like they have a lot of choice - if they make for sure, it will still follow them and once on land it's crew will probably be quicker than them, unburdened by wounded. Jeff's option seems the best one. She gives him a quick nod of assent, and signals to the hands "We'll let them gain enough to get in range - don't make it obvious that's our mind, though."

Then she turns to the others. "Jed, still got that grenade? If they get near enough for a shot, go ahead and have Slagg take it - if we can take out the sails and addle the crew, we'll be in good shape. Julian, Collin, stay sharp with those rifles - if they decide to take us apart rather than overhaul us, do your best. We'll not stand a straight fight, I reckon, so let's bloody their nose a tad and then make a run."

Still in the stern, Annalise draws a quarrel and winds a scrap of fabric around it behind the head. If she can find some oil from a lamp or some pitch in the boat, she'll add that to the wrap. Then she loads the quarrel and readies her flint striker.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Slagg Stonefist

Slagg is not really happy to be off solid ground, and isn't really all that happy to be used for flinging grenades. Still he will do it if need be. That said. "Do we even know what they want?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

10 vs DEF, 21 vs ARM. Concentric circles of arcane runes erupt across the galleon's sails then flicker, fade, and blow away in the sudden unnatural gusts. In a moment the sails are rent in a dozen places and go slack. The ship is still coasting forward but is beginning to slow.

Is Slagg going to toss a grenade?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
If someone tells him too yeah. I know the whole other ship thing was ominous but I am worried we are attacking someone we shouldn't have.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Well, the boat is going to be out of throwing range soon you have maybe 4-5 seconds of in-game time before you are out of range.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Then I guess Slagg will throw it, though I am not sure off hand how good he will be at that.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Rereading the book, I think I goofed up having Jed give the grenade to Slagg. I thought Slagg's strength would work hurling the grenade to the ship. Since Jed has Thrown Weapon 1, if you want Slagg to give the grenade back to Jed, feel free.

Also, I have military obligations this weekend, and from Friday night to Sunday afternoon will be away from my computer. Feel free to have Jed do what needs to be done depending on the situation.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That would probably be for the best, Slagg doesn't have any skill with thrown weapons right now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I also assumed that strength had something to do with distance on thrown weapons, but I guess not! So let's have Jed toss the grenade

Annalise Ardenne

Slagg makes a good point; it is possible that the galleon is far less sinister than it seems, but the whole night has been so bizarre that it seems hard to believe. Besides, it's too late to worry now. "Whatever they had in mind, I'm guessing they'll be angry with us now." She motions to the shredded sails. Hopefully they'll be able to pull clear now and get away from whoever the galleon is crewed by.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Getaway

Jed primes the grenade and tosses it at the oncoming ship. It's dark, and hard to see, but you can hear the grenade skitter across the deck before the soft pop of the gases finding their way out. A cloud of gas erupts on the starboard side of the ship near the bow, and begins to drift back towards the aft. The boat is noticeably slowing down and is now drifting a few degrees to port...

"I reckon that'll do for the hull if they don't get it under control in the next minute or so," grins your boat's captain.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Jeff Tazdaf

Jeff pours some more wind into the sail. "Pull off somewhere they won't find you, and we'll part ways." The big question now is what next? That will have to wait until the group is somewhere safer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

At least this seems to be going according to plan, but she keeps her eye on the galleon to see if whoever is on board manages to get control back in time to stay on them. The way it's listing, though, they might have caught a break. She does allow herself a moment to glance over the rest of the boat and make sure nothing else is going wrong. "This is a smaller rig, so if there's somewhere along the river you can squeeze where that can't follow, it'd be a fine place to drop us off. If it's near enough a place for these two" - she nods to the wounded - "so much the better."

• Locked thread