Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

She relaxes a little once they are clear of the Khards. Not that the town isn't rife with Khadoran forces, but at least they aren't under their noses any more. With a little space to think, she weighs the options. "Scrive is going to be a sticking point. If we caravan, we'd need fuel - good amount, too - although anyone running one might be happy enough to have us along with that muscle. Much easier to boat it, but that kind of cargo will cost us dear."

Annalise grimaces; she isn't going to leave the 'jack behind, not after all Jevkins and the machine have done. "Let's find a flophouse for tonight, catch our breath. See if Montis comes around. Either way, tomorrow we see what the price on a boatride is. Maybe we can cut a deal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Are you looking to purchase lodging or simply a place to squat and hopefully go unnoticed?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, we're pretty low on cash, and we'll probably need it to pay passage out of here. Let's roll the dice on finding a squat!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Return

It's not hard to find a place with no one in it. The owners of this hovel have long left Llael, and possibly Caen. Part of the roof has collapsed, but there is enough of a bedroom left to hunker down for the evening. Nothing of value is left in the common areas, and the larder was picked clean by refugees or khardic soldiers ages ago.

As you get situated you hear Montis groan, "Wh- where am I?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She gives their shelter an appraising look. It's better than sitting out in the open air, at least, and some roof is better than none. And at least this way they're mostly out of sight from those poking about looking for anything interesting. The hulking form of Scrive can't fit into the hovel's main room, but there is space for him to hunch where the collapsing roof has brought down some of the wall and window frame. He fills in the gap quite nicely, and won't be nearly as noticeable as if he were squatting in a field.

Having stowed the all-important trunk in a corner, buried under their packs and saddles, she crouches down, tossing scraps of broken pottery to one side. Maybe they can clear a space and light a fire, warm up some food at least. Rations are pretty grim cold. But the homemaking is interrupted by Montis, and she smiles thinly as she stands and makes her way over to him. A glance is given to Stoyan. "How's he doing? We need to coddle him some more?" Because she'd really like to slug him one, just for the sake of it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan looks over the abandoned building. Not exactly safe and secure, but he'd slept in worse over the years. When Annalise questions him he gives Montis a quick once over - the sawbones may have been a drunk (but who wouldn't be in this situation?) but she still did good work.

"he's stable enough to survive, I think, so long as we take care not to re-open the wounds while they're still healing." He looks from Montis to Anna, a pained look on his face. "be careful with the interrogation, I know you two have history but, well, cripple for life seems like an adequate payment for whatever debt he owes you."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She gives Stoyan a long, cool look and then grunts a reluctant assent. "He's worth more alive - not just to us, I wager. Not like breaking him down will fix much." Losing so many comrades on this trip has been brutal. She's lost friends before, of course, that's the life. But seldom so many in a string and never while being nominally in command. Pounding the man won't bring them back, but maybe bringing him in will stop more deaths.

All the same, Annalise can't be sure she isn't going to be sorely tempted to cut loose. "You're the doctor here. Tell me if it's getting too far." Which also makes Stoyan the good cop, she supposes. With that thought in mind she moves over to Montis, looming into his vision with a sharp smile. "All awake now, are we? I was hoping you'd kept your jaw working."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Talk

Montis' eyes take a moment to focus on Annalise. As realization dawns on him he tries to scramble backwards but gasps as he strikes his stump of a hand on the rough floor.

"Wha- what are you doing here?" he gasps, "What the gently caress have you done to me you witch?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She lets Montis flail around a little - he'll be pretty hard pressed to get away, and the panic might be good for him. Presuming that he doesn't do himself some additional damage, that is. "What I've done? Had my man here save your sorry hide, else you'd be bleeding out in the muck like you deserve." She pauses, before conceding "Course, that was because he shot you first, but you had it coming for your games."

She steps forward, easily closing the distance the man has covered on his broken limbs. "Now, why don't you tell us where you were going with your nice little haul, eh?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Talk

Montis grits his teeth for a moment, then the defiance drains from him and he leans back.
"The Thornwood, by way of Khador," he says, "I was told a handler would meet me in Merwyn and get me and the cargo to where we are supposed to get."

He leans back and is silent for a moment, then without opening his eyes, "And just what do you think is going to happen to us, all of us, when I don't show, hmm? Ain't goinna be pretty... but I suppose you're used to that by now aren't ya?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan
Stoyan looks down at Montis, his eyes just above the brim of his bandit mask and his brow just below the hood of his cloak.

"I'd imagine, Mr. Montis, that I'll have to shoot some more people working for the Cryx when you don't show up." He looks over Montis' wounds for a second, then back at the man. "Hopefully I won't have to keep those ones alive."

totally counts as good cop, right?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She narrows her eyes as the man talks. She had sort of expected him to hold out, offering some spitted curses in resistance, not just fold up. Is this a ploy? On the other hand, the man is a turncoat for profit, and presumably has no great love of his employers.

Annalise has had a long time to adjust to her appearance and suffered enough jibes over it, but she isn't prepared to take that lip from Montis. Grabbing him by the collar, she delivers a sharp abrupt slap with the other hand. It'll keep him honest. "I can fix you up to match, if you keep up the lip." She drops him back to the ground. "Merwyn's a long way, through some messy ground. I figure we've a while before they know you're not coming, and more before they track anyone down - if they even find us. Question is, why shouldn't I just leave you here for the Khards to wring out?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Talk

Montis recovers from the blow and spits on the ruined floor.

"If'n you were going to leave me to the Khards you wouldn't have had me patched up would you," he sneers. "Either you're going to get me safely back to Corvis and away from my employers, or my friends from Scharde are going to get me safe away from you. Either way, from where I'm sitting I look to be safe as houses. So why don't you tell me, why did you come all this way for little ol' me?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

It's sorely tempting to cut lose with her pent up frustration and grief, but pounding Montis into paste won't really improve their situation. So she clenches her fist rather than deliver another slap. "You burned us pretty good in Corvis, and I don't forget a grudge - 'specially when it robs me of any other work. You made it so your collar is pretty much the only thing for me to do."

She manages to bare her teeth in a grin "Hoping for your friends, eh? You think that if they catch up to us they're going to rescue you? 'Oh, too bad you fouled up your whole job and got nabbed by some hard-up mercs, but we'll patch you up and get you back on your feet'?" Annalise barks a laugh. "We've seen what your friends are like, and you'd best hope we decide to cart you back to Corvis before they pay you for your failings."

I'll go ahead and hit up an Intimidation roll, hoping that Montis might realize his employers are probably not the best backup and be a little less belligerent.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Talk

The man grits his teeth, "No, they aren't likely to do that. But what they have in store for me is probably a drat sight more palatable than a traitor's welcome in Corvis. There I'm looking at life in a box, with them a muzzle in the ear and I'm done. Unless he's with them..."

9 on the dice. He's shaken up but not broken. You will be able to give one reasonable suggestion he's likely to go along with... for now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She can only assume that 'he' is the man on the ship that set the Helljack on them. At least, she hopes so - Morrow help them all if there is a worse figure lurking in all this. She answers the man with a grunt and narrowed look, letting him stew for a few moments before pressing on. "Truth is, I'm not looking forward to hoofing your busted carcass back to Corvis much. You draw too much attention and make too much trouble. But there are some mighty angry folks back there, and you take the heat right off us." She leans forward to glare at him. "But maybe, you were able to tell me something useful, some good info that shows how hoodwinked we were and where the light ought to shine on some traitors, and I can spare myself the trouble of dragging you in. You ought to think about that, maybe real careful, before we reach the border."

She straightens up and casts a look over to Stoyan, wondering if he has any input on it. It's all less personal for him, but it's still his skin at risk out here.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"None of this is personal to me, Montis" he says, drawing the foreign name out as Mon-Tees, and staring the wounded man down as he does so. "But I have to eat, and to eat I have to make money. You're a middle man, a go between, for dark forces... and there's wealth to be had in ending plots and foiling the people who push suffering. I'd much rather go after them than you."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Talk

Montis spits on the ground a leans back, "Mayhaps, but why not do a little fishing waiting for a whale eh?"

He gives a graveyard chuckle that lapses into a hacking cough, "So, to Corvis eh? And I'm to hope that you'll keep me out of a box on Bloodshore Island? Hell of week I'm having. Can I at least get a few hours shut eye? I'm not feeling very well."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She considers dragging the situation out, but she's tired as well. It's been a rough day. "Go on while you can. We won't coddle you when its time to move." She steps away from the man, walking over to Stoyan and lowering her voice. "Keep him going as you can. He's worth more alive, and if his friends do some looking we can stake him out to slow them down."

She glances back toward Montis. "Meanwhile, we'll keep watch and an eye on him as much as out there. Hit the sack, I'll take first shift."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan nods and finds a place in the shadows to sleep, somewhere he's unlikely to be seen by intruder before he can wake up as well. "Wake me if you need anything, or if his condition worsens."

with that, he sleeps uneasily, waiting for his turn to watch.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Something... disconcerting happens during Annalise's watch. What is it?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sorry, was feeling kind of stumped on this one and took me a little while to get moving

Annalise Ardenne

She settles down against one of the crumbling walls, away from the smoldering embers of their campfire so that the flickering light won't silhouette her to anyone approaching, or ruin her vision in the dark. Her crossbow is propped across her knee; better a quieter weapon than the pistol, which might raise anyone within earshot. She has sat her share of watches over the years, but few quite so lonely and grim - it feels more like a vigil.

Hours slip away without note, until suddenly the night air is torn by an eerie, caterwauling cry - filled with either anger or pain and almost surely not human.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Night

The caterwauling continues for a moment, and is then joined by another voice. The second is near identical to the first, but is crying just a split second later. Something about the way the two voices are mixing, or failing to quite do so, is giving you a headache. Beneath the unearthly cry you hear the crunch of gravel under heavy boots...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She bites back an oath and struggles to her feet - a couple hours hunched over against the evening chill have stiffened her joints. She lurches over to shove Stoyan awake - just in case he managed to doze through the racket somehow - and then follows up with waking Jevkins. Morrow, how long does it take to get a 'jack moving? If they need Scrive's muscle they could be in real trouble.

Once the others have roused, Annalise scoots to the edge of the dilapidated building, trying to peer around the crumbling wall and catch some sight of whatever the hell is out there. After a quick glance she looks back to Jevkins. "Watch Montis - Even if this isn't for him, he might take advantage"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan jerks up and looks around, readying his pistol for whatever is coming. At Anna's words he looks down at Montis for a second, then steps into a defensive corner and starts checking the room. As much as he didn't want to know what those things were he definitely didn't want them finding him first.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Night

Whatever this is, it's not even pretending to be stealthy. Annalise see's the harsh light of mechanikal lamps cast on the walls of nearby buildings and the hiss of a steam boiler. Shortly the keening wail stops to be replaced by a snuffling with the same strange split quality.

To get a full view of what is coming down the road you would have to peer out a window or around the wall, which would expose you to whatever is out there...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan scowls as he pulls Montis from the middle of the floor to somewhere outside of the areas the lights can sweep. "Whatever that thing is, I think we're better off not meeting it Anna."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She listens closely to the noises, trying to place them against the litany of things she has seen and heard of in her brief career. Between the boiler and the steps it could be some sort of light jack or mechanika suit; but what on earth was the squealing? Whatever it was, she's inclined to agree with Stoyan's assessment. "Sure. Let's see if it gives us a choice."

She takes a moment, trying to judge the creature's location by sound; she doesn't want to expose herself and give away their location at all, and certainly not until they are ready to move. "Jevkins - can you get Scrive moving? How quick?"

If they can make it to the horses, Montis can be tossed over a saddle easily enough. But that still leaves Montis' chest they're hauling, and they need Scrive to move that at any speed.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan pulls the bandit mask up over his nose, completely hiding the lower half of his face. Then he draws down the brim of his hat, leaving almost nothing to recognize him by. He looks down at the case, then back up at the crippled figure propped beside him. His words come out in ragged whispers, cutting the night like silent double edged daggers. "Montis, what the hell is in that crate?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Night

"What? She didn't tell you?" Montis whispers, chuckling slightly.

Jevkins sidles up to Annalise, surprisingly quiet when moving without his usual pomp and flair, and in a barely audible whisper says, "I have Scrive on a low boil. We open him up a bit and he's good to go on your mark."

From out side the snuffling continues, and you hear voices speaking in hushed khardic. However their voices are strangely distorted, as if speaking from inside a pot...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

It hardly seems the time to be answering questions about their cargo - hopefully Stoyan can keep a lid on his curiosity until they are clear from this mess. They can have a show and tell at a later date. She gives Jevkins a quick nod, and does some mental math. Their limiting factor is going to be getting Montis onto a horse or otherwise moving. She answers the Gobber in as low a whisper as she can manage. "Alright. If I give the word - or this hits the fan - fire him up and get the cargo out of here."

Annalise hesitates a moment, listening to the sound outside and wishing that she had a better grasp of Khardic than a handful of curses. From the sounds of the voices, she can only hope that the Iron Fangs haven't decided to make an issue of their little spat earlier. She shifts back toward Stoyan carefully, so that she doesn't have to raise her voice more than needed. "We need to move this meat to the horses - Morrow willing, load him up before this goes to pieces. If it goes to pieces, you saddle up and give us some covering fire, alright?" She looks down at Montis, and draws her pistol "And you - I'll spread your brains before I had you over to anyone I think benefits you, so think hard about cooperating."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan nods at anna's orders and grabs Montis by the cuff of his cloak. He moves along the wall towards the nearest exit, gun in one hand and other on the hilt of his blade. Once he reaches the exit he motions for Montis to head towards him, hoping the injured both understands the basics of stealth and can pull them off in his current state.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Night
Montis struggles to his foot and begins moving towards Stoyan. The snuffling stops and two low growls come from just outside the building.

Stoyan finally sees what's been making that noise as it comes into view, an Argus.

A length of heavy chain stretches around the corner, held in an unseen hand. The creatures heads whip around violently, clearly alert to your presence but unsure exactly where you are among the ruined farmhouses.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan stifles the urge to curse and looks over at Anna. He mouths the words "Argus Hound" then turns back to the beast and tries to meld into the shadows as much as humanly possible. He slowly takes his pistol and aims for one of the beasts heads, silently praying to Morrow, Thamar, Menoth, and any other deity he can think of that only one head needs to die if that's what this comes down to.

Agility+Sneak=7

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

poo poo. Getting away from hounds is going to be a mess, even if they can hit the ground running. But they won't even manage that if the dogs are on them from the get-go. Thinking quickly, Annalise scoops up a shard of brick from the floor of the house, weighing the fragment in her hand. Looking around, she finds a gap in the sagging walls, and hefts the chunk through with all her strength. If Morrow has any mercy, the clatter of the stone falling out among the trees and rubble will pull the beast's attention off Stoyan and Montis. Otherwise, it's going to get ugly quickly.

Not sure what that check would be - I guess probably some sort of default on thrown weapon? I defer to whatever you think is right.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Is Stoyan trying to head shot it or is Annalise trying to distract it or both?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan is only going to shoot it if it finds them, otherwise he's hoping it will pick up the scent of something else.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Night

Its heads snapping towards the sound of the rock clattering the argus scrambles forward. The beast pulls hard enough to drag its handler behind it, which is no small feat as the chain is being held by a Man'o'War. A second suit of mechanikal armor rushes forward to keep up with the two.

The Argus stop near where the stone landed and begins sniffing around, trying to find a scent trail...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan grabs Montis and begins to move away from the dog(s) as quietly as he possibly can, working his way towards the horses while staying in the shadows as much as possible. He guides Montis away from the beasts and into the shadows, towards the exit furthest from the damned things, thinking to himself. If Argus Hounds and Man o' Wars are involved, this thing is bigger than I even imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

They've bought themselves a minute at best - let's hope that it's enough time to get moving. The Man'o'Wars are vicious, but should be slower than their horses. The question is, are they slower than Scrive? Once the 'jack gets moving, stealth is going to have little meaning. She moves toward the exit as well, stopping to whisper to Jevkins as they move "As soon as you hear the horses, fire up and move, fast as you can. We'll run interference if its needed, slow them down - I'll not leave you behind."

Annalise has to admit she has a number of failings as a commander, but she is not going to add cowardice to that list. If it comes to it, they'll fight to get Scrive free.

Plus, he's carrying the chest, and there is no way they can leave it for the Khards.

Slipping out the back, Annalise quickly moves to unhobble the horses and set their reins, doing her best to keep the animals quiet.

• Locked thread