Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

"I don't like our chances moored on the shore at night with Cryxians about in the waters. Better to stay mobile. I can keep my eyes open for first watch."

Picking Medicine and Intimidation as my advances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

The conversation with Montis was... disheartening. Stoyan spent the remainder of the day cleaning his gun and his sword. He banged the light wounds amongst the crew, and took some time to properly stitch up the actual cuts inflicted. He checked for infections and made sure no one was going to die. Then he slept for a short while, preparing to take the second watch.

spending my advances on medicine and intimidation

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Boomer

Boomer isn't going to stand in the way of other people taking watch. He'll 'volunteer' for third if pressed but he's cranky and sore and feeling mean after a broken bolt on the Cryx almost tore his palm open. He sits on deck taking care of his gear and anyone else's weapons and armor that asks.

Buying +1 Intimidation and Mechnkical Engineering. Maintaining my/anyone else's that asks equipment

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Boat
"We put ashore we fall under the protection of whatever local militia that port has, an' there's a few we could make 'fore tonight becomes tomorrow. But they deal with gatormen, humans, swamp gobbers an the occasional trollkin or actual troll that gets a wild hair up it's arse, beggin your pardon young man" he nods towards Domhnall "Cryx comes knockin' they'll fight but they aren't career soldiers like you lot. We stay on the water... we get to Corvis faster, but we'ren our own. Up to you gi- ma'am."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

She mulls their options over for a few minutes, trying to weigh out the risks. Putting them ashore amid a militia and other travelers would mean more bodies to stand shoulder to shoulder against the Cryx, even if they aren't well trained. That was certainly appealing. On the other hand, if Cryx was coming out in force and looking for victims, such places would be likely targets, and they'd be trapped there. The group had fared well enough on the river so far, and while Scrive was badly damaged they had also added to their force.

The woman's expression makes it clear that she's not keen on her options, but what is command if not hard choices? She ends up giving a nod to Domhnall. "Aye, let's stay on the river - the sooner we're under the wings of the swans the safer we'll be. But we keep our eyes open all night, and stay sharp. Two men on watch at least, one of us and one of the crew. Everyone sleeps with a weapon at hand."

Looks like we're shaping up to be an intimidating group!

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Who is taking first watch? What is the member of the ships crew who is joining you like?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Domhnall had previously weighed in for first watch, so I'm waiting for him to weigh in.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, I'll take first watch - let's say the ship's crewman's a lanky sort, watchful, and considers this Cryx bullshit to be way above his paygrade.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
The river is quiet. There is the occasional slap of a wave on the hull but even that seems muffled. Daros, the crewman who drew first shift, paces back and forth across the deck. Every few moments he shines a lantern down at the water and quickly drops it back below the gunwale as if he's afraid he'll be seen.
"The hell have we gotten ourselves into?" he asks almost to himself, "The damned war isn't bad enough, but Cryx has to but in?"

He sidles up to the trollkin, "Erry one was whispering ;bout something back on the docks. Someone pissed the khards off but good, and it seemed good to get out before they took it out on us. But no one said anything 'bout no cryxians. I don't care how bad the khards are, the worse they'll do is kill ya. Then you and your friends show up, fighting like demons, and we seem to have a new captain aboard. Mind telling a lad just what the hell is happening?"

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

"I'm afraid I don't know much myself," Domhnall says quietly with a heavy shrug. "I was a prisoner on one of their ships, and they rescued me. I'm serving as guard to buy passage back to safer harbors."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"A prisoner on one of those boats..." he mutters, "how'd that happen?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bumping this because I assumed we were waiting on Domhnall and wanted to make sure we're on the same page

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

"One of their raids targeted my town, and I fought back hard enough for them to want me as materials, I suppose. Their 'jacks don't look like much but they pack a punch like any other."

Gahhh, sorry, I got sideswiped by grad school starting again and forgot.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
Daros grunts, "Might not have fought so hard if I was you."

You can ask Daros a question or spot something on the river. What is it?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Domhnall huffs a bit - probably best to not get testy about defending his kriel with a total stranger in a tense situation. "What do you think the Cryxians are doing this far inland? They been following any pattern?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"That's the thing, no one knew they were here until maybe a day, two days ago. Then," Daros claps, "khards start disappearing. A couple of those guys, the ones in the big mechanikal suits, manage to get back. Said they were coming out of the ground. Like ants."

"Getting early, think it's 'bout time we find bunks o' are own..."

Who has second shift and who is your crewmember?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan wakes as Domhnall enters the room, grabs his coat and hat and heads up without a word. On the deck waits an overly eager engineer, her hair tied up in a bun behind her head. Her excitement at all the action so far practically flows from her face out into the night, and Stoyan inwardly groans the second he sees her.

"You take aft, I'll take port. Signal me if you see anything, but keep it quiet. Ears are at least as important as eyes."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"Sure thing!" she says as she throws what could almost pass as a salute. "What am listening for and what's the signal going to be?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"You're listening for any sounds that shouldn't be there. As for the signal, give a whistle if you can."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
Long silent minutes pass when you hear a and awkward sputtering.

"What are you going to do if we find something?" the engineer asks. "Also who are you and how did you get here?"

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"Depends on what we find. Help if its friendly and needs it, steer clear if its unfriendly but not hostile. Shoot it if we have to."

He looks her over for a second after her last question, then looks back out at the ocean. "watch that last question, it makes some people edgy. Names Stoyan, I'm Umbrean, and there isn't much good I can do there. Out here, well, at least I can do something worthwhile."

He sighs, then thinks for a moment, realizing for the first time that she probably hasn't been traumatized by the ongoing war. "Make sure to keep your eyes on the river. If you feel like you have to talk, tell me your story. Where are you from, what brings you out here?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"Oh, uh," she looks surprised as if she didn't expect the conversation to turn towards her, "well I grew up a little west of King's Vine but my dad drank and my ma was dead so I jumped on a boat and it turned out I could fix things and since I'm sort of tiny I can get to places most mechaniks can't and most boats like this one are near to sinking on a good day and with the war going on everyone is trying to get things in and out of Llael," she pauses for a moment to catch her breath, 'you know. As you do."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"Good skills to have. You want some advice? Get a gun, learn to use it, or hire on to a ship with real guards. This job's just going to keep getting more and more dangerous. Or, if you're that good of an engineer, hire on somewhere safer. Too many people I know are just memories now, hate to add another one."

Stoyan looks out, keeping his attention on the water, trying to force his mind off the past and back into the now.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"A gun? Seems like most of the people I know who took that advice are, like you said, just memories now," she says looking off in the distance. "How'd you do it? How'd you last this long?"

You may ask one question or spot something on the river.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"I've survived mostly because I'm not afraid. I'm willing and capable to draw first, to fight it out when it's to my advantage and to escape when it's not. Sharp eyes and a steady hand will only get you so far, you've got to have be willing to do what it takes when the time comes."

He looks out over the river, and see's something off in the distance. He stops talking and moves forward for a better look.

"looks like someone dumped their cargo and ran. I see rope and wood from here, might be crates."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"Hmm..." she murmers. "A lot of smugglers will drop cargo if they think they're likely to be caught, but that raises a few questions. What is it and who did they think would catch them?"

Are you going to leave it or go investigate?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Keep your eyes open as we get close, might have something nasty waiting with it. Might also have clues as to what else is out here, other than us and the Cryx."

Stoyan signals the pilot and points toward the debris in the river, signaling a desire to get get closer and investigate. He pulls his gun, just in case, and stands alongside the rail where he can keep his eyes both the cargo and the riverbank as they approach.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The River

The ship slides through the water with the engines at near idle. The patch of flotsam contains several crates that are staying mostly above the surface, and a few barrels that are caught in some rigging. It looks like someone tried to cut loose part of the load, but the rigging was snared and pulled the rest.

You make out a tax stamp on the side of one of the crates in the shape of a swan.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"If they came this way with swan marked goods, means either they were being chased by someone from upstream or they needed speed." He grabs a boat hook and sifts through the debris, looking for either valueable seeming cargo or anyone who may have jumped ship with the cargo.

per 4 + det 2 = 6 to find anything (or anyone) useful in the debris.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The River
Most of it seems like regular textiles and other assorted goods you'd find going up and down the river, but... right... ah, now that's interesting...

You find something both valuable, and clearly not yours to anyone who bothers to look into it. Pick one item (or items that would go together) worth up to 300 gold.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan peers over the side at the floating detrius, moving the occassional crate or barrel aside with his boat hook. His hopes of finding survivors seems thwarted, but he doesn't find corpses, either. Looks like whoever dumped the cargo made a successful escape. Just as he's about to give up on finding anything interesting, his boat hook latches onto a guncase. He pulls it up and finds to his surprise a double barreled high bore pistol and 10 shells for it. His smile turns to a frown as he notices that they're all marked with some kind of insignia, looks either mercenary or military, and he wagers the original owner won't be happy with the loss.

On the other hand, he needed something to help punch through the heavy armor of a 'jack, and this could do the trick in a pinch. As he packs up the weapon, he checks the other side of the deck and realizes his young companion is starting to yawn. Must be time to head downstairs and wake up the next watch.

"Fine job kid, fine job."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Who has next shift?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

"snrk. Alright alright, I'm coming. Ugh, that really stings." Boomer checks to see if his hand is festering or not before replacing the last shift.

That'd be me.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Describe your crew mate and how late/early it is.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Somewhere indefinitely before the rear end-crack of dawn, Boomer stumbles over to the rear of the ship and slings his rifle He had avoided socializing earlier because he wasn't quite sure how leery the crew was about the whole burning ships/cryx thing. "Hey, am I supposed to be doing this alone or-" Boomer stops before he says 'I didn't see you down there!'

"Morning" He nods at the dwarf in the fisherman's rain poncho. <Think we're going to have anymore excitement?>

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"Of course..." the rhulic river rat grumbles, "I get the lunatic."

He looks around a bit, then leans in, "Listen boy-o, I'm sure you did us all a favor with those Cryxian bastards but I'd appreciate it if you can make it these next few hours without lighting meself or this ship a fire.You think you can manage that?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

<<Hey, its locked up downstairs and the fuel is sealed in an airtight container...I think, it took a few wacks back there. What I'm trying to say is I don't think we'll have any more fires tonight>>

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"See that it does," the dwarf grumbles. "What put you on the river anyway?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

<<Family business. Was headed down Ord way for a demonstration of fireproofing gear.>> He spits off the edge of the railing to clear his throat. <<Big market with the navy there.>> He doesn't have the heart to add "Ironically enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
"Your family is in the business of fire?", the dwarf grunts, "takes all sorts I guess."

You notice something on the shore. What is it?

• Locked thread