Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Boomer

Boomer is sitting in the most armored place on the ship he can find and wondering how many piece are going to be blown or sliced off before death finally finished the job on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

The sounds wake him as they approach, and he looks to others near him. "Sounds like large rats or small dogs. Any river animals we should be worried about?"

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Hold
Stoyan looks down to see a very large rat gnawing at one of his ammo pouches...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"What kind of rat eats leather?" he shouts as he grabs at the strings of his pouch and pulls back, hoping to save as many precious bullets as he can.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Hold
"Ain't a rat and it's not after the leather," a ship hand hisses, as he gently places a barrel over it and gingerly slides a piece of scrap wood underneth.

"It's a skigg and if'n you'd be so kind, please take yourself and all the blasting powder you have above the water line in case something untoward happens to you..."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan looks at the barrel, still not sure exactly what is going on, but he heads above deck. Along the way he slides his knife out of its holster, and begins to look for Anna.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Annalise Ardenne

Annalise hasn't made it to the bilges, and is still swanning around on the mid decks watching the crew at work. She had initially intended to stick with the paddle-wielder, but heading into the hold had proved cramped, dark, and sweaty, and without knowing how to handle a skigg-flipper or all the narrows and nooks of the ship, she decided her presence wasn't worth much. Better to be out of the way of both the experts and the exploding vermin.

Stoyan is likely to find her back on deck, making sure the Skiggs haven't got back into the original crates of powder. She's itching to have a weapon in her hand, but none of them seem like a good idea for poking the current prey. She's not entirely sure what she'll do if she does find them back in the powder.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Do you two catch up with each other before Annalise makes it back to the crates?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Stoyan staggers onto the deck, holding his dagger in main hand, and beelines to Annalise, reaching her as she reaches a set of crates on the deck. "What is going on with these rats? I was told not to shoot them, and one of them tried to eat my bullets."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

She slows as Stoyan approaches, noting that he has his dagger rather than his pistol in hand. Better, but probably still not ideal. "Skiggs. They're marshrats, more or less, but they love blasting powder. If they can, they'll eat the stuff until they burst - literally. Always a nuisance to a campaign, but apparently on a boat they're pretty dire business. Crew is trying to root them out because one pops in the hold." She grimaces, thinking of what else is in the hold. Should they relocate their prizes? Would it help? "I found some had been at the stores on deck and raised the crew. Just decided to head back to the source, make sure none had come back for seconds..." She motions toward the crates.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Is anyone else joining them on deck?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Last chance.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

Boomer, probably inadvisently, hauls himself up with the others. "Dammit, what the hell is going on now?"

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Hearing Boomer trundle his way upward, cursing all the way, Domhnall decides to check up on the circumstances as well - though staying near the stairs below should something come up that needs his attention.

Grad school started up and I've got a temp job, so I've been a bit scatterbrained as of late.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Well, all the crew is here now - barring Jevkins and Scrive, that is. Annalise glances back to the stairs as the pair emerges, giving Boomer a thoughtful look. Given his general combustability, she's surprised the Skiggs haven't piled onto him like flies to treacle. "Doing a little vermin hunting on board. Kind of your area, the little blighters like to go out with a bang."

Giving this a nudge - the combat map had me waiting for the ambush to drop

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

"Anna! Is it safe to stab them?" Stoyan shouts, looking thoroughly disgusted at one of the ammo eating varmints. Deciding he'd only been told not to shoot them, and that he could ill afford to lose any more bullets, he steps forward and stabs one of the buggers as it climbs out of the crate, intending to fling the body off his knife and overboard once it stops trying to bite him back.

Stepping to the space diagonal to both the creature nearest Domnhall and the one nearest me. MAT 5, POW 8, both rolls boosted by Ambush this round against the one further from Domnhall. If it survives stab #1, I'll stab it again thanks to the skilled archetype. If it doesn't live through I'll go for the second, both rolls also boosted by Ambush. If the first one explodes when I stab it I'll forgo the second attack while trying to figure out a way not to get myself blown up by these things

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Gonna wait and see if stabbing these things makes them blow up before I do anything.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Giving Annalise a chance to respond before I process that action.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't have any idea if you can safely stab Skrigs, not sure if Annalise would have more detailed knowledge than we do. Improvising!

Annalise Ardenne

Well, it looks like all the rummaging below has driven the quarry topside. Eyes wide at the scuttling vermin, she calls out to Stoyan and the others "No shooting or heavy blows! Hit them in the head, their stomachs will be powder kegs by now."

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
Stoyan's knife finds its mark between the shoulder and neck of the nearest Skigg...

It's actually 13 DEF and that roll after is for it being damaged...

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Domhnall yells and shields himself from the blast. "Bloody hell, now what!? Throw them overboard!?"

What would the roll for that even be?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
For the purpose of this fight, let's say that everyone has the Heave Ho ability from Urban Adventures.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Domhnall lashes out with a free hand to grab the explosive little wretch, seeking to throw it over the side where the explosion won't hurt much more than the fish.

MAT here is PRW+0, so 4, STR 5.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

Apparently she was wrong about the way the creatures worked. drat. Hopefully Stoyan hasn't suffered too badly for her mistake; she'll have to apologize, once they have this under control. "Try to keep them from getting back below - if they go off on deck, at least they won't hole the ship!"

Annalise steps toward the closest Skrig, trying to grab the creature by the tail and sling it over the side.

PRW is also 4, but Intellectual grants +1 to anyone within CMD (7), so total is 5. STR is 4, though, no bonus there.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
Daeren, which one are you targeting?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The one right above Stoyan, my bad.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck

Slippery little bastards. Both Domhnall's giant mitts and Annalise's sure hands fail to get a hold of the explosive rodents.

Annalise is manages to bat the snapping maw away from her, but Domhnall's luck holds as the skig nips a bit of his cheek off.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Are we waiting on Boomer?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

My bad, will have something up shortly

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

No seriously, sorry about that, after work today.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

"You gotta be kidding me, right?" He looks around, spotting one of the little bastards poking out of a hatch to the north. Resisting the urge to climb up something and pot it from there he cautiously moves to grab it and chuck it over the side.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
Boomer steps forward and tries to grab one of the beasts...

With a good heave he sends the explosive rat over the side.

Seeing it's compatriot go over the side, or maybe just getting a whiff of what Boomer is perpetually covered in, drives one of the creatures forward.+

It's jaws grab him by the shoulder and shake violently. (One box remaining on Agility and Intellect).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Boomer

*$%*^ SAAAKE

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Paging Stoyan to the Skrigfest

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Stoyan

Seeing Boomers distress, Stoyan attempts to throw both Skiggs near him and the troll overboard, hoping to free up Domnhall to go save boomer.

assuming that I can use my skilled passive for heave ho, I'll try to chuck each Skigg once. Sorry about the delay, I somehow unbookmarked the thread.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck
Stoyan scrabbles and wrestles with the skrig but the little devil weaves in and out of the crate like a naughty explosive puppy.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Domhnall

Disengaging now would probably be a terrible idea. Despite Boomer's problems, Domhnall's got his own, so he goes for the little wretches again.

MAT +5, STR 5.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Annalise Ardenne

drat, these little guys are slippery, and surprisingly vicious. It's tempting to just take shots and hope the boat survives the damage, but with their luck it probably wouldn't pan out. Realizing that Boomer is on the rocks, Annalise tries to move to his aid. She uses the back of her axe to fend off the Skrig facing her, and then falls back to try and dispense of the one mauling Boomer with a swift throw.

I am going to spend a Feat to buy Parry, letting me disengage from my own fight without a Free Strike, and then move up to try and toss the Skrig hitting Boomer. Hope this pans out! MAT 5, STR 4, fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
The Deck

Domhnall grabs the skrig by the scruff of its net and sends it hurling over board (6 vs 5 after STR rolls). It catches the gunwale on and erupts in a spout of flame as it hits the water.

Annalise gets her hand on the rodent but it breaks free before she can hurl it aside. (7 vs 9 after STR rolls). Sensing that there is no easy meal here it scrabbles across the deck to help it's surviving friends (The skrig uses Scamper to reposition).

The one Annalise had been dealing with just a moment before catches a whiff of Stoyan's blasting powder and dashes at him, but with a twitch of his coat the gunman dances around the critter.

• Locked thread