Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

WWE's massive videotape library has over the years resulted in all manner of awesome (and some not-so-awesome) DVD sets. Whether you're a new fan trying to learn some history or an old fan enjoying a nice nostalgia trip, watching old footage is fun as loving hell, and with all the stuff that's available on Netflix and YouTube (and our DVD/VHS collections), it's really never been easier to just kick back and watch some old-rear end wrestling. I do it all the time and sometimes I wanna talk about it and I think my twitter followers who don't give a poo poo about wrestling are probably starting to find it annoying. So here's a thread where we can do that! Any observation, weird piece of trivia, or just "holy poo poo I'm watching [thing]. Remember how awesome [thing] was?" moment that you wanna share, do it here!

Also, just a thought, but would people be interested in "gameday" style posting from time to time? We pick a day, a time, and some DVD or netflix thing and we just hang out in this thread and watch it? Or does synchtube already scratch that particular itch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

I'd be up for an organized thing, because as good as synchtube is, it's a drop-in-drop-out thing.

For some reason, I've been rewatching Taz' initial run in ECW. Jesus, he was really put over like crazy. Worth it, really, because he's super-intimidating in ECW.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

I've been working on my eventual goal of watching every WWE PPV since 1990. Just yesterday finished watching Survivor Series 1992, so still have a hell of a long way to go. Loved the Flair/Razor vs Perfect/Savage match and the main event with Bret and Shawn started slow but really picked up and by the end I was really enjoying it. Personally I'm looking forward to Wrestlemania 9, 11 and King of the Ring 1995, there's nothing funnier than horrible wrestling. Oh and somehow I've gotten to this point in my wrestling fandom having never watched WM 17 in full, so that will be awesome when I get to it.

Kamala was a horrible wrestler by the way. His matches with Taker were incredibly poo poo.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

Just wait, you've not hit the dark ages of WWE yet. Wait until '94-'95. They legitimately pushed MABEL.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

VogeGandire posted:

Just wait, you've not hit the dark ages of WWE yet. Wait until '94-'95. They legitimately pushed MABEL.

I wouldn't call it a legitimate push. He was just sort of Monster of the Month for a long reigning champion.

BillyMays
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

On the falls count anywhere DVD it has Sgt Slaughter vs Pat Patterson and it owned hard. It's the very first match on the DVD and if you have Netflix go watch it. I think Brian and Vinny praised the poo poo out of the match too.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

subs so fast you'll freak

Cool thread.

I've been hunting for a specific promo Tank Abbott cut in WCW but I can't really remember when it happened so I've been skipping around on what few nitros from around that era are available on the internet for the last couple days. Let's just say it's been an interesting few days.

Other than that I've been watching matches featuring CMLL and NJPW dudes that will be on the upcoming Fantasticamania to kind of get in the spirit of things and break up the monotony of grainy nitro clips.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaYVxhRcKRo#t=55s

This entire chain leading up to table spot is amazing.

Bubba Grace
Jul 14, 2006

An Actual Bear posted:

I've been working on my eventual goal of watching every WWE PPV since 1990. Just yesterday finished watching Survivor Series 1992, so still have a hell of a long way to go. Loved the Flair/Razor vs Perfect/Savage match and the main event with Bret and Shawn started slow but really picked up and by the end I was really enjoying it. Personally I'm looking forward to Wrestlemania 9, 11 and King of the Ring 1995, there's nothing funnier than horrible wrestling. Oh and somehow I've gotten to this point in my wrestling fandom having never watched WM 17 in full, so that will be awesome when I get to it.

Kamala was a horrible wrestler by the way. His matches with Taker were incredibly poo poo.

Why 1990? Honestly I think you should start out at Wrestlemania 3 (1987). A lot of cool and memorable things happened in 87-89. Those few years are really the golden years of the "cartoon era".

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

One day in your memoirs, you'll describe me as inscrutable.

Awesome, I'll be using this thread to document my rewatching of the Attitude Era. Of course I'm already at the tail end of it, but meh. Here's where I am at:

Kurt Angle is going to face The Rock at No Mercy
Edge & Christian just had their "last title shot" against the Hardy Boys. How will they get around this stipulation???
* Al Snow is the European Champion, representing all the countries of Europe
Lita is the Women's champ and is super over
Vince is back home being a "genetic jackhammer"
Oh, and Austin came back and is dishing out 5+ Stunners an episode on his quest to find out who ran him over, much to Commissioner Foley's annoyance.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Felony posted:

Why 1990? Honestly I think you should start out at Wrestlemania 3 (1987). A lot of cool and memorable things happened in 87-89. Those few years are really the golden years of the "cartoon era".

Not a fan of late 80's wrestling at all, if needs be I can go and watch the 5 Mania's I missed once I'm caught up but I just picked 1990 since that's when Hogan started to show early signs of becoming stale. It's really interesting seeing him slowly be fazed out and to see Bret come basically from nowhere.

Yaoi Mandel
May 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Where do you go to watch full eps of Attitude Era, triplexpac?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I've been watching a lot of classic Memphis and Florida TV lately. It's fun to see who I recognize from their time elsewhere, and I'm fascinated by an era where crowds went goddamn bonkers for two fat blond guys trading basic holds and punching each other, when it's way harder to get modern WWE crowds to pop for anything now.

I also watch a lot of early-90s northeast indy stuff - TWA, IWCCW, etc. - because that's a really interesting pocket of time where young guys, former WWE/NWA jobbers, and fading ex-stars were trying to make SOMETHING happen in the absence of territories.

LordPants
Mar 5, 2011

Four more years boys, four more years.

I always love the hyper kayfabe territories like MSW.

"Well, if this match DOESN'T go the full length then we DO have the following back up matches..."

Stuff like that, when promoters gave a poo poo. Obviously some times you have to make some conceits, but it's always fun when everything makes sense.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

Man, Sabu gets a lot of undeserved hate. I mean, yeah, he's no Dean Malenko or William Regal, but there are very few people capable of the poo poo he does.

And his feud with Taz is one of my favourites of all time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

VogeGandire posted:

Man, Sabu gets a lot of undeserved hate. I mean, yeah, he's no Dean Malenko or William Regal, but there are very few people capable of the poo poo he does.

And his feud with Taz is one of my favourites of all time.

Agreed. He was the last true "special attraction" wrestler, in my opinion, and whatever his failings as a worker are, his genuine fearlessness is very hard to find elsewhere.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

On my journey through Old ECW, I had forgot how bloody good the Eliminators were. Saturn was...Saturn, and Kronus shouldn't have been able to move like that when he's that big. Hell, they managed to drag a good match out of the Gangstas with minimal weapon use.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

VogeGandire posted:

On my journey through Old ECW, I had forgot how bloody good the Eliminators were. Saturn was...Saturn, and Kronus shouldn't have been able to move like that when he's that big. Hell, they managed to drag a good match out of the Gangstas with minimal weapon use.

They had a really good match with Dr. Death and Terry Gordy, too. The Eliminators' matches didn't always have much flow to them, but they were fun, and yeah Kronus was insanely nimble back then.

You'll probably find that Axl Rotten was a solid worker too, way better than his association with Ian would have you think.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Aw, son of a bitch!

Karmine posted:

Also, just a thought, but would people be interested in "gameday" style posting from time to time? We pick a day, a time, and some DVD or netflix thing and we just hang out in this thread and watch it? Or does synchtube already scratch that particular itch?

I'm up for a gameday thread where we all get together on Synchtube at a certain date and time, watch a PPV or whatever and just chat and commentate. I honestly had a loving blast last year where we all got together and watched WCW 2000 PPVs and just chilled.

As for what I'm watching now, the Attitude Era DVD that was recently released is highly recommended. Especially since it's uncensored so you see the WWF scratch logo and the uttering of the initials, it's a pure nostalgia trip and I have no idea how WWE got away with it.

Bubba Grace
Jul 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I'm up for a gameday thread where we all get together on Synchtube at a certain date and time, watch a PPV or whatever and just chat and commentate. I honestly had a loving blast last year where we all got together and watched WCW 2000 PPVs and just chilled.

As for what I'm watching now, the Attitude Era DVD that was recently released is highly recommended. Especially since it's uncensored so you see the WWF scratch logo and the uttering of the initials, it's a pure nostalgia trip and I have no idea how WWE got away with it.

I think I remember hearing that WWE worked out a deal with the "real" WWF recently about using the the initials and scratch logo.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

As far as I understand, WWE just threw a big bunch of money at the World Wildlife Fund, and got the nod to say "You can't go back to being the WWF, but you can at least acknowledge you USED to be WWF."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ever have one of those day?

VogeGandire posted:

I always found Total Elimination was one of the best tag team finishers. Simple and awesome looking.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Watched Raw from Oct. 2, 2000. Some highlights/lowlights included:

One of those 25 minute opening segments that had 10 people walking out demanding title shots, capped off with King saying on commentary "Hey somebody play my music, I want to demand a title shot too!"

Edge & Christian getting a hardcore title shot against Steve Blackman, who kicked their asses

Chyna is in the middle of her "no one thought I was beautiful but now I'm on the cover of Playboy so screw all the haters" push. It's pretty grating how hard they push this

Raven loses the pinfall in what is (I think) his first match back in the WWE. It was a 6-man, Y2J & Dudleys vs X-Pac, Tazz & Raven

HHH & Kurt have a really great main event match for the #1 contendership. Can't wait for King Kurt to win the title.

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I always found Total Elimination was one of the best tag team finishers. Simple and awesome looking.

Yeah, that too. If the recipient sold it well, it looked awesome. The Kronus Driver II was pretty brutal too.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Harley Race was a decent guy, right? Is there a definitive feud/event that I should watch if I'm trying to get into his stuff?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Harley Race was a decent guy, right? Is there a definitive feud/event that I should watch if I'm trying to get into his stuff?

His poo poo with Flair and Dusty is great.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

bobkatt013 posted:

His poo poo with Flair and Dusty is great.

Ric Flair could have had a good match with a hat rack, so I guess I know what I'm watching.

There aren't any dead hookers or anything in Race's history, right? I'm tired of the scummy side of wrestling

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

Ric Flair could have had a good match with a hat rack, so I guess I know what I'm watching.

There aren't any dead hookers or anything in Race's history, right? I'm tired of the scummy side of wrestling

Not that I know of. Just lots of people legitimately scared of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2F6W5cN_8

He looks like someone's dad in the 70s, but he's still just -worthy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

There was the time Sting and British Bulldog were playing vollyball with a bunch of orphans and he brought Vadar and Sid in sandals and they had their friend Chetum the one eyed midget stick a bomb to Sting and Bulldogs boat.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

VogeGandire posted:

Not that I know of. Just lots of people legitimately scared of him.

I guess it's Harley time!

bobkatt013 posted:

There was the time Sting and British Bulldog were playing vollyball with a bunch of orphans and he brought Vadar and Sid in sandals and they had their friend Chetum the one eyed midget stick a bomb to Sting and Bulldogs boat.

Now you see I might have fallen for your cunning ploy but years of study at Wrestle Crap dot Com have given me the knowledge to know this is just a "rib" and an attempt to "own" me

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I guess it's Harley time!

Now you see I might have fallen for your cunning ploy but years of study at Wrestle Crap dot Com have given me the knowledge to know this is just a "rib" and an attempt to "own" me

It is a low light Of Races career along with Secrets of Wrestling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dXOrRuKttc

Yaoi Mandel
May 12, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Portly Fag posted:

Where do you go to watch full eps of Attitude Era, triplexpac?

Please i am terminally ill and want to watch these before I die in a month.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Portly Fag posted:

Please i am terminally ill and want to watch these before I die in a month.

Sorry, I had answer typed up but I forgot to hit Send and ended up losing it.

I ordered a set of DVD-Rs from some site years ago, sorry I can't remember which one. Not even sure if they're still around.

Edit: Ha, I think IVP is actually where I ordered the set VVV Doesn't seem to be loading for me though

triplexpac fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2013 around 16:26

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

I bet against K-1

I've been falling asleep to old Mid South matches at night. Its like a 7 disc compilation I got from parts unknown(I think IVP). Nothing like Ted Dibiase and Jim Duggan as villainous heels.

I've been meaning to upload those to YouTube

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Sorry, I had answer typed up but I forgot to hit Send and ended up losing it.

I ordered a set of DVD-Rs from some site years ago, sorry I can't remember which one. Not even sure if they're still around.

I think IVP has something like that, but you have to email him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

I bet against K-1

IVP dude reported site had a blip and is back up.

I can't find my Mid South collection listed on there or Highspots so no idea where it came from. My computer kinda collection wrestling on its own.

Bubba Grace
Jul 14, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

As far as I understand, WWE just threw a big bunch of money at the World Wildlife Fund, and got the nod to say "You can't go back to being the WWF, but you can at least acknowledge you USED to be WWF."

For some reason it irks me the WWE name is used instead of WWF for things pre-WWE. It would be like referring to the old AFL as the NFL, since those teams eventually joined the NFL. I understand branding is important, but at least acknowledge the past properly. WWE didn't win the Monday night wars, the WWF did. I know it's a stupid thing to complain about, but it still bothers me. Sperg over.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

But Edge grew up wanting to entertain as a WWE superstar!

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

Felony posted:

For some reason it irks me the WWE name is used instead of WWF for things pre-WWE. It would be like referring to the old AFL as the NFL, since those teams eventually joined the NFL. I understand branding is important, but at least acknowledge the past properly. WWE didn't win the Monday night wars, the WWF did. I know it's a stupid thing to complain about, but it still bothers me. Sperg over.

I get a little mad every time they're talking about Attitude Era or whatever and they're saying "Well, the WWE at the time..." or something. I'm just like IT WASN'T THE WWE YOU'RE LYING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

For some reason, it's really hard to find old Stampede matches, either on DVD or on YouTube. There's a few on YouTube, but not much. I'd love to relive more Bret Hart/Dynamite matches, or Owen/Makhan Singh matches. Doesn't WWE own the Stampede tape library? Would there be much demand outside of Western Canada for a Stampede DVD?

«21 »