Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I can only think of one real in-joke in this most recent episode, and half the joke was that Elliot burned through it in the most rote way possible. The biggest problem is that all their jokes come out of their relationship and personalities in a huge way. Flophouse is my favorite of the bad movie podcasts, but I think WHM is probably a better joke machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Beeez posted:

I've not really gotten into Flophouse because I already have enough podcasts to listen to and the sound was so bad in their first episode I couldn't get through it. Could I just listen to episodes featuring movies I'd like to hear mocked, or is it so in-joke-y that it's not worth bothering?

It's the kind of thing were if you are an old fan you enjoy it more, since there are some (not many) callbacks, like Dan's blandness/recommending movies he saw on planes, Elliot's friendship with Anne Hathaway in High School or Stuart's three recommendations (Invisible Maniac, Castle Freak and Head of the Family) and ding dongs being ripped off. However, just pick a bad movie you've seen and give it a listen.

Either way, try the Oogieloves and the Foodfight episodes, those are two of my favorites since the movies they are reviewing are unbelievably awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The best Flop House episodes are the ones where the movie really outrages them. So Easy Rider: The Ride Back or Last Ounce of Courage are good picks. Alternatively, since you've got three really nerdy guys, the episodes that let them be nerds like Hercules or R.I.P.D. work out well.

The biggest weakness of the Flop House format is that they pick a recent film out without really pre-screening it and as a result sometimes watch films that are just painfully dull instead of amusingly insane.

FWIW, regarding sound quality, I think like most podcasts it takes them about a dozen episodes to learn how to podcast and anything before that isn't that great. It takes them that long to get the sound to be listenable. The only other time that there was a real problem after that was when Dan's neighbor ran a pirate radio station and they wound up releasing a kind of half episode because they were forty minutes into the recording when they realized that something had gone wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there are in-jokes like the Flop House House Cat's mythical past and stuff like Stuart's favorite movies involving maniacs, freaks, and dingdongs and/or sub sandwiches being defiled, but usually even without knowing the 'backstory' the jokes are fairly good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Another good starting place is the Bratz movie.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Beeez posted:

I've not really gotten into Flophouse because I already have enough podcasts to listen to and the sound was so bad in their first episode I couldn't get through it. Could I just listen to episodes featuring movies I'd like to hear mocked, or is it so in-joke-y that it's not worth bothering?

Don't start with the first episode. Episode 8 is the first with Elliot and the 'real' start of the podcast. Bratz, Prom Night, The Happening and Mirrors are all great early episodes.

Anything with the original peaches is worth a listen.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Dude. Elliott isn't an Original Peach. Whooooooaaaah.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Dude. Elliott isn't an Original Peach. Whooooooaaaah.

Mind. Blown.

Speaking of in-jokes I just love their riffs on what the kids are eating these days. Helps make the abduction episode one of my favourites.

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
The Flophouse is at their best when they're reviewing something totally insane and not boring-action-flick-of-the-week. But The Last Godfather episode with Al Madrigal is also one of their best, and definitely their best guest host episode. Really wish they'd bring Owl Magical back sometime.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New WHM is up, the Substitute. So far it's a winner with the quick arrival of The Vague Drug trade and winning impressions.

They also announced the new Listener Request Month for November, so start getting those picks ready. It was kinda odd, when describing the requirements for the Listener Request movies they went on way too long about what listeners shouldn't do. Like they said not to request something they'd already done, and then continued to say that people should go to their homepage and CTRL-F to find old movies. Which would work, but seemed unnecessarily detailed. Maybe they've gotten a ridiculous amount of repeat requests and felt the need to be specific.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

New WHM is up, the Substitute. So far it's a winner with the quick arrival of The Vague Drug trade and winning impressions.

They also announced the new Listener Request Month for November, so start getting those picks ready. It was kinda odd, when describing the requirements for the Listener Request movies they went on way too long about what listeners shouldn't do. Like they said not to request something they'd already done, and then continued to say that people should go to their homepage and CTRL-F to find old movies. Which would work, but seemed unnecessarily detailed. Maybe they've gotten a ridiculous amount of repeat requests and felt the need to be specific.

Every Listener Request Month they seem to get more and more insistent about not requesting movies they'd already done, so it must be getting worse and worse each time.

Anyway, in the actual episode, I'm a big fan of their idea to start saying that your friends didn't make it with no further explanation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy cow is the new whm almost as long as Star Wars

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
June saying Evil Ernest had more sexual energy than Travolta in his prime was worth the month of reruns.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Already got my call in for WHM listener request month:

Look at that poster. Look at that cast. Know that the movie centers around house hiding. Become self-conscious of your less-awesome requests :smug:

Also from the sound of the hint for next week's episode, it's Timecop. I mean, it could be something else, but it's Timecop.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DoombatINC posted:

Already got my call in for WHM listener request month:

Look at that poster. Look at that cast. Know that the movie centers around house hiding. Become self-conscious of your less-awesome requests :smug:

Also from the sound of the hint for next week's episode, it's Timecop. I mean, it could be something else, but it's Timecop.

Oh nice! That looks great, I'm not sure what to request this year. Last time I tried for Hook, but no way that's getting done anytime soon. Maybe the new Red Dawn?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Someone recommend Sorority Boys, want to hear their description of the dildo fight and their reaction to a guy trying to date rape his own brother dressed in drag.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
My choice is Cyber Seduction. They're due for another Lifetime movie.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I always want to suggest BioDome as the most regrettable VHS from my childhood, but that movie is such a dire situation I doubt even WHM could scrape together a listenable podcast out of it.

But yeah, we haven't had a Lifetime movie in a while! Those are always choice quality.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's what I called in with:

I'm hoping it can be their election day special.

I bet they get over a hundred perfectly good suggestions (and another hundred or so unsuitable ones :v: ), so there's little chance of any of us getting our selection, but half the people who suggested Foodfight were goons...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 9, 2014

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Random Stranger posted:

I bet they get over a hundred perfectly good suggestions (and another hundred or so unsuitable ones :v: ), so there's little chance of any of us getting our selection, but half the people who suggested Foodfight were goons...

Wild in the Streets is so great, I hope they cover it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know why, but people completely ineligible of holding office getting elected is like the only thing that I can not accept in movies. Magic powers, demons, time traveling robots, killer alien clowns, some Steve Buscemi looking guy being a chick magnet? I'm on board. Someone not at least 35 and born in the US as President? I just can't roll with it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Gyges posted:

I don't know why, but people completely ineligible of holding office getting elected is like the only thing that I can not accept in movies. Magic powers, demons, time traveling robots, killer alien clowns, some Steve Buscemi looking guy being a chick magnet? I'm on board. Someone not at least 35 and born in the US as President? I just can't roll with it.

The movie is a cautionary tale! If you lower the voting age to 18, the next thing you know they'll elect some rock star to senate and they'll lower the voting age even more and then they'll pass an amendment lowering the age of presidency and next thing you know, we have Jim Morrison Hitler for a president!

Seriously the movie is hilarious and worth a watch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

The central conceit of the film is that the protest culture of the late 60's that was pushing to lower the voting age from 21 wouldn't stop there and demand the voting age go even lower and the office holder requirements get dropped to teenagers. So it's not a matter of them being ineligible, it's that they explicitly changed the eligibility.

The Senator Giroux posted:

The movie is a cautionary tale! If you lower the voting age to 18, the next thing you know they'll elect some rock star to senate and they'll lower the voting age even more and then they'll pass an amendment lowering the age of presidency and next thing you know, we have Jim Morrison Hitler for a president!

Seriously the movie is hilarious and worth a watch.

Well, the tongue was firmly in cheek when they were making it, but it plays it so seriously and the satire is so disconnected that it makes the film amazing. Especially from a modern perspective.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll be suggesting Vibrations, where the boyfriend from Twin Peaks loses his hands, becomes homeless and then is saved via early 90s techno music and a robot suit. Also starring Kelly Bundy and April O'Neill version 2.0.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

drat now I'm getting self-conscious because some of these movies sound really stupid :(

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the Flophouse info, y'all. I'll check some episodes out.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For those who listen to HDTGM, they teased the last line of the movie but I don't think they ever said what it was. Well, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1e5h9YSe_k

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how disinterested Travola looks through that, except at the end before he ascends.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The latest HDTGM is the best episode in a long long time. It feels like they had a lot more fun watching this movie than their usual selections.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wow, that really was one of the better WHM in a while. Everything from Winston Bane to Tuco getting a Dell.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Sigh, these suggestions are so much better than Brainscan, I have some memory digging to do.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Elliot Kalan is going to be writing a new ongoing Marvel book, Spider-Man & The X-Men, so that's pretty cool.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I'm eager to hear how We Hate Movies reacts to the return of Surge. I wonder if Amazon is going to still sell it "piping hot".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm trying to think of a good musical to recommend for WHM because I want to see how they handle talking about a musical. And to see which of them admits to liking musicals.

(I bet it's Steve)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm trying to think of a good musical to recommend for WHM because I want to see how they handle talking about a musical. And to see which of them admits to liking musicals.

(I bet it's Steve)

There can only be one!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Apple is insane and campy and wonderful I'd rather see them take on something truly awful like Grease 2.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's three obvious musicals I'd go for: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Wiz, and Can't Stop the Music (aka, The Village People movie). Sgt. Pepper has probably the biggest gap between quality of music and quality of movie.

The Apple is good, too. Or Xanadu. Or Tommy. Or Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park is both fun and cheesy.

You know what, just pick any rock musical from the late 70's or the early 80's and you're good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think Sgt. Pepper and Xanadu would be good choices just for how batshit insane they are from the word "go". Sgt. Pepper might be harder since the whole movie's narrated thanks to the terrible acting.

e: and if you're dissing Tommy, one of the greatest rock operas ever made, we're gonna have to step outside.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: and if you're dissing Tommy, one of the greatest rock operas ever made, we're gonna have to step outside.

That's a very low bar. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think Sgt. Pepper and Xanadu would be good choices just for how batshit insane they are from the word "go". Sgt. Pepper might be harder since the whole movie's narrated thanks to the terrible acting.

Tommy is beautiful, but it's also insane, it would be fantastic for the show.

edit: Actually no, I'd rather see it on HDTGM, June would have so many wonderful questions.