Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Honestly, it's hard to pick a bad musical because so many things that would make a regular movie bad make a musical great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm eager to hear how We Hate Movies reacts to the return of Surge. I wonder if Amazon is going to still sell it "piping hot".

https://www.facebook.com/WeHateMovies/posts/951709501512720

They'll probably talk about it in an upcoming episode. Maybe if they do the Pagemaster or some other Macaulay Caulkin movie.

djnkro
Sep 16, 2007
So, crossposting from the "Pay attention to the thing I make" opic, since no one goes there.

We are starting a podcast network-ish thing of sorts, and part of that is bad movie reviews... We posted our first Movie Night!

We reviewed The Faculty.

So check us out, not only that, but we love "we hate movies" I called in to request Moving Violations. Please reply, and post the movie you suggested for their listener request month, we will pick the best one, that the pros don't cover, and review it.

Thank you guys, you are great, check us out, and let us know what you think.

http://www.bnebyob.com
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Bnebyob
Comedy/news/reviews

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fezz posted:

https://www.facebook.com/WeHateMovies/posts/951709501512720

They'll probably talk about it in an upcoming episode. Maybe if they do the Pagemaster or some other Macaulay Caulkin movie.

Holy poo poo the top two comments are pretty great.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

This is what Stuart gets for spreading LIES!

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Anyone have any guesses for the Stephen King movie next week on WHM?

I'm hoping for either Maximum Overdrive or Thinner, but I'll be okay with Graveyard Shift as well, even though I know very little about it, because it sounds super terrible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Meat posted:

I'm hoping for either Maximum Overdrive or Thinner, but I'll be okay with Graveyard Shift as well, even though I know very little about it, because it sounds super terrible.

They literally can't pick wrong.

e: oooh is the one with the fog and people holed up in the mall old enough yet?

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 17, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tatum Girlparts posted:

e: oooh is the one with the fog and people holed up in the mall old enough yet?

Aside from the ending, and even that's debatable, The Mist is a legitimately great film.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Meat posted:

I'm holding out hope for Creepshow. :v:

Stephen King is a wealth of option and you could make a bad movie podcast just of Stephen King adaptations. My money would be on Maximum Overdrive for obvious reasons, but there's just so many possibilities.

I wonder if Stuart Gordon wonders why everyone has been asking him about Castle Freak and ding-dongs lately...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Since they quote it constantly, I'm betting on Theeeenaaah

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Seems weird to do a Stephen King movie so close to the spooktacular.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

DoombatINC posted:

Since they quote it constantly, I'm betting on Theeeenaaah

Naaaaaaaaamorrrrrr.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Naaaaaaaaamorrrrrr.

He's sort of popular in the...you'll seeeeeeee

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seems weird to do a Stephen King movie so close to the spooktacular.

There are a ton of King movies that aren't horror oriented.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What are the Stephen King movies that they wont touch? I am thinking its Carrie, Misery, Dead Zone, Shinning, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile.
I wonder if next week is Lawnmower man, as I think its been mentioned as a stay tuned.
Holy poo poo look at all these potential episodes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Stephen_King

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 18, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They do talk about Thinner a lot but I think it's a pretty decent movie overall, so I doubt that. Creepshow is silly and weird but it's that way on purpose, so it's a pretty soft target. I would say that it's one of the only truly good horror anthologies, I mean it hits the horror comic book tone so pitch perfectly. Creepshow 2 however is fair game, but it does have one good story that I can recall.

I hope it's Lawnmower Man as well. Somehow that dumb movie scared me when I was a kid, and I have no idea how.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

They do talk about Thinner a lot but I think it's a pretty decent movie overall, so I doubt that. Creepshow is silly and weird but it's that way on purpose, so it's a pretty soft target.

While this is true,

("Swamp Thiiiiiiiiing.")

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Drunkboxer posted:

They do talk about Thinner a lot but I think it's a pretty decent movie overall, so I doubt that. Creepshow is silly and weird but it's that way on purpose, so it's a pretty soft target. I would say that it's one of the only truly good horror anthologies, I mean it hits the horror comic book tone so pitch perfectly. Creepshow 2 however is fair game, but it does have one good story that I can recall.

I hope it's Lawnmower Man as well. Somehow that dumb movie scared me when I was a kid, and I have no idea how.

Creepshow 2 has The Raft which is loving outstanding and comes very close to making watching the entire film worth it.

Creepshow 1 is one of, if not the best horror anthology film ever made and should be watched by all horror fans.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Creepshow 2 has The Raft which is loving outstanding and comes very close to making watching the entire film worth it.

Creepshow 1 is one of, if not the best horror anthology film ever made and should be watched by all horror fans.

Yeah The Raft is the one story I was talking about. The cartoon bookends of the movie are the pits though.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, we did a whole Stephen King month a year or two ago for Alcohollywood, and Creepshow was the one we picked for our actual Halloween episode. It's bonkers in the most delightful way.

"METEOR poo poo!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, we did a whole Stephen King month a year or two ago for Alcohollywood, and Creepshow was the one we picked for our actual Halloween episode. It's bonkers in the most delightful way.

"METEOR poo poo!"

The old episodes aren't up on itunes are they? Also, I've noticed a weird thing when I try to stream your podcast or download it with cellular data. Streaming usually cuts off a minute or two in, and if I download it it'll give a really weird progress bar and eventually fail. I have to get your podcasts whenever I'm connected to wifi. I use the iphone podcast app, which amittedly has its problems, but ALcohollywood is the only thing I've noticed it doing this with.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Drunkboxer posted:

The old episodes aren't up on itunes are they? Also, I've noticed a weird thing when I try to stream your podcast or download it with cellular data. Streaming usually cuts off a minute or two in, and if I download it it'll give a really weird progress bar and eventually fail. I have to get your podcasts whenever I'm connected to wifi. I use the iphone podcast app, which amittedly has its problems, but ALcohollywood is the only thing I've noticed it doing this with.

That's strange; we used to have problems with the Apple podcast app, but to my understanding they'd worked themselves out a while ago. Is it still happening?

As for the old episodes thing, you're correct; unfortunately, we have to cap our max results or else our RSS feed gets too big for iTunes to read and it won't put new episodes up. After all, RSS feeds aren't meant to act as an archive for your podcast, just a way to update the newest stuff - our King stuff, for example, was posted all the way back in 2012. They're all still available on our site or where we host them on Tindeck, if you want to grab old episodes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hewlett posted:

That's strange; we used to have problems with the Apple podcast app, but to my understanding they'd worked themselves out a while ago. Is it still happening?

As for the old episodes thing, you're correct; unfortunately, we have to cap our max results or else our RSS feed gets too big for iTunes to read and it won't put new episodes up. After all, RSS feeds aren't meant to act as an archive for your podcast, just a way to update the newest stuff - our King stuff, for example, was posted all the way back in 2012. They're all still available on our site or where we host them on Tindeck, if you want to grab old episodes.

Yeah. I just tried to stream one, and it said it was only 2 minutes long, and cut off at the end of that. Weird.

edit: although I did try to stream an old episode.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 18, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

In regards to this years Spooktacular

We Hate Movies face book page posted:

Yes, Spooktacular. Sequel only Spooktacular in fact.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm predicting the Halloween sequel where we learn that Michael Meyers is a apparently an agent of an ancient evil that scientists used to further medical research.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm predicting the Halloween sequel where we learn that Michael Meyers is a apparently an agent of an ancient evil that scientists used to further medical research.

Yep and Paul Rudd is one of the leads.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

How was the sequel to Butterfly Effect? I'm assuming it was terrible, but I'm curious if it would make as good of an episode as the original one did.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah. I just tried to stream one, and it said it was only 2 minutes long, and cut off at the end of that. Weird.

edit: although I did try to stream an old episode.

Hmm, that is strange; I just tried to do an old one on my podcast app and it was fine, but it was on wifi. That's SO strange that it only doesn't work on 3G for you. I'll ask my gf (who has an iPhone) to download an episode again on hers and see what happens.

On a related note, Nathan Rabin joined us again to talk UHF; the results are pretty fun, considering he literally wrote the book on Weird Al.

I'm also trying not to be bitter about WHM's Spooktacular, since this year's Horror Octorbor is going to all be sequels as well - since it's our third year, we're covering the third installment of several horror franchises (Nightmare on Elm Street III, Saw III, Paranormal Activity III, The Omen III, Halloween III: Season of the Witch).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hewlett posted:

Hmm, that is strange; I just tried to do an old one on my podcast app and it was fine, but it was on wifi. That's SO strange that it only doesn't work on 3G for you. I'll ask my gf (who has an iPhone) to download an episode again on hers and see what happens.

On a related note, Nathan Rabin joined us again to talk UHF; the results are pretty fun, considering he literally wrote the book on Weird Al.

I'm also trying not to be bitter about WHM's Spooktacular, since this year's Horror Octorbor is going to all be sequels as well - since it's our third year, we're covering the third installment of several horror franchises (Nightmare on Elm Street III, Saw III, Paranormal Activity III, The Omen III, Halloween III: Season of the Witch).

Paranormal Activity 3 rules and I'll hear nothing otherwise :colbert:

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I think it was an old WHM, but it may have been another bad movie podcast that did a horror anthology film. It seems like anthology films don't work out all that well because of the lack of consistent characters to make hay out of through the entire episode. It seems easy for a podcast to lose focus or cohesion, or something, when there is a complete change of plot, actors and setting.

Someone mentioned suggesting a musical to WHM for listener request month, and even mentioned The Wiz. A couple months ago it was reviewed by another podcast, Black on Black Cinema. It's not strictly a bad movie podcast, but the reviewers really didn't care for it, and pretty well tore it to shreds. There is pretty decent amount of fault to find in it, not the least of which was Diana Ross playing Dorothy, despite being nearly triple the age of the character. She apparently threw a massive fit to get cast in the role, because she secured Michael Jackson for the part of the scarecrow.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Trilogy of terror, perhaps? I remember the running character was a cat, which they got some mileage out of. Yeah, though, the lack of a consistent through-line undermines running gags and callbacks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cat's Eye

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A little too uptown for me, if you know what I'm sayin. You know what I'm sayin? I'm not gonna leave til you know what I'm sayin.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

bango skank posted:

A little too uptown for me, if you know what I'm sayin. You know what I'm sayin? I'm not gonna leave til you know what I'm sayin.

The point where Eric just started doing a Dracula voice was one of the funniest wandering impressions in the show.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Listening to some of the more recent WHM episodes and whoever was praising Erik is totally right.

A small question though, what is the Tommy Lee Jones "Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack..." bit a reference to?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Flython posted:

Listening to some of the more recent WHM episodes and whoever was praising Erik is totally right.

A small question though, what is the Tommy Lee Jones "Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack..." bit a reference to?

Volcano, his character taking a jackhammer and purposefully jackhammering a tunnel to safety.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love all the WHM guys for one reason or another. Andrew is a great host and nails the impressions (good or bad), Steve is the quickest witted, Eric's dry humor is a great balance and Chris has righteous indignation paired with some deep film knowledge. That said, Andrew-Eric-Chris episodes are by far the weakest. I don't know if that's saying more about Steve or Chris.

That said, have any of you guys tried watching their Private Cabin skits on Youtube? Hoooooly poo poo are they bad.

Production
Jun 11, 2001
My only real problem is that occasionally one or two of them get derailed with righteous indignation about a character doing something dumb, and it wouldn't be bad, but they aren't really squeezing jokes out of it. More just talking like, "if you're a soldier/policeman/whatever, you know rule number one is don't do <thing>," when it's a crazy movie premise situation no one has planned for.

Then again, I've also come to terms with Prometheus as being mostly about people doing dumb things in unfamiliar situations (as opposed to just the main plot points which are obviously that), so I'm probably too forgiving of movie logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

weekly font posted:

I love all the WHM guys for one reason or another. Andrew is a great host and nails the impressions (good or bad), Steve is the quickest witted, Eric's dry humor is a great balance and Chris has righteous indignation paired with some deep film knowledge. That said, Andrew-Eric-Chris episodes are by far the weakest. I don't know if that's saying more about Steve or Chris.

That said, have any of you guys tried watching their Private Cabin skits on Youtube? Hoooooly poo poo are they bad.

In my opinion Blame it on outer space is pretty bad as well. It's a neat concept, but it just doesn't work for them for a bunch of reasons, but mostly it's not really the thing I expected to hear when I was told it's a "conspiracy theory takedown podcast" or however it's described as on WHM.