Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah. Although they did seem to think Insurrection was a better target than Nemesis, so I'm not sure they're totally trustworthy on that front.

Nemesis is bad but at least they were trying. Insurrection felt like a 2 parter of the show, and one of the bad ones. And it had Riker pilot the Enterprise with a joystick. And the effects looked like poo poo because ILM left to go do The Phantom Menace. And Worf got a pimple. And Data could be used as a flotation deice.

Insurrection is my least favorite Star Trek movie. It's seriously a boring piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thrawn527 posted:

Nemesis is bad but at least they were trying. Insurrection felt like a 2 parter of the show, and one of the bad ones. And it had Riker pilot the Enterprise with a joystick. And the effects looked like poo poo because ILM left to go do The Phantom Menace. And Worf got a pimple. And Data could be used as a flotation deice.

Insurrection is my least favorite Star Trek movie. It's seriously a boring piece of poo poo.

It should also be noted that the "evil" stretchy face guys are in fact the wronged party in the conflict between them and the "technology is bad" morons. OK, the head stretchy face dude was pretty bad, but holy gently caress it's not like he wasn't justified against the selfish, sanctimonious, "good" guys Picard and crew were rebelling for.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

thrawn527 posted:

Have you heard the WHM episode about it? I don't think it's on itunes but it's on their website.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Have you heard the WHM episode about it? I don't think it's on itunes but it's on their website.

For Insurrection, yes. But to my knowledge, they've never done a WHM on Nemesis. They have done a Trementary (MST3K style commentary track you can buy on iTunes) for Nemesis, and I have listened to that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Nemesis wasn't trying, it was hot garbage. It was clumsy remake of WOK and is one of the few movies I actually got angry watching. A boring two-parter would be high loving praise for Nemesis. It's easily the worst trek movie ever, it was directed by a man who hadn't seen any episodes TNG, and it sunk the franchise.

"Trying" my rear end.

Edit: dune-buggy combat, special-needs Data, a whole new more eviler Romulan planet, empty death of a main character. It loving sucks.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 10, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drunkboxer posted:

it was directed by a man who hadn't seen any episodes TNG, and it sunk the franchise.

"Trying" my rear end.

Hey its not his fault for assuming that Geordi was an alien.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drunkboxer posted:

Nemesis wasn't trying, it was hot garbage. It was clumsy remake of WOK and is one of the few movies I actually got angry watching. A boring two-parter would be high loving praise for Nemesis. It's easily the worst trek movie ever, it was directed by a man who hadn't seen any episodes TNG, and it sunk the franchise.

"Trying" my rear end.

Edit: dune-buggy combat, special-needs Data, a whole new more eviler Romulan planet, empty death of a main character. It loving sucks.

I didn't say it was good. But it was trying to be, I don't know, an action movie or something. And tried to have stakes (and failed, what with back up Data, but at least it went for it.) That was a bad idea, but it's better than anything that happened in Insurrection, which was boring, embarrassing, and had the added benefit of Picard taking the exact opposite stance he took when almost the same exact thing happened on the show. Oh, and the "Saddle up...lock and load." scene that felt like nerds making a fan film.

Nemesis is my 2nd least favorite. But holy poo poo do I hate Insurrection.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Which one had Picard burying Kirk? Generations?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Which one had Picard burying Kirk? Generations?

Generations

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Drunkboxer posted:

"Trying" my rear end.

The only good thing about Nemesis is that it failed to sink Tom Hardy's career for good.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Camp Nowhere maybe, but that doesn't seem big enough

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I could've sworn there was a Flop House episode about CBGB up yesterday. Now it's gone. I guess I dreamt it.

Edit: Since the thread is locked I'll post this here: New James Bonding ep up.

Gargamel Gibson fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 12, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Edit: Since the thread is locked I'll post this here: New James Bonding ep up.

I no longer feel bad about waiting so long to post my write up of Never Say Never Again, given how long it took them to record an episode for it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I could've sworn there was a Flop House episode about CBGB up yesterday. Now it's gone. I guess I dreamt it.

Well, that is the one that's up now. Brokaw & Caine, back in action.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Between Stealth, Rocky IV and Chopping Mall I've decided I'm a big fan of WHMs where they have a movie featuring a robot.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rincewind posted:

Between Stealth, Rocky IV and Chopping Mall I've decided I'm a big fan of WHMs where they have a movie featuring a robot.

That robot really should have helped Rocky train. As it is, it's a weird pointless distraction.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That robot really should have helped Rocky train. As it is, it's a weird pointless distraction.

Rocky IV is barely a movie, it's basically a 90 minute long movie trailer.

I still love Rocky IV.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Rocky IV is great because it's like they just got someone who had only heard about Rocky to make it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Rocky IV is great because it's like they just got someone who had only heard about Rocky to make it.

Then you find out that Sly wrote and directed the fucken montage

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bobkatt013 posted:

Then you find out that Sly wrote and directed the fucken montage

Montage? Singular? There's at least 3 that I can think of, and the big training montage near the end is actually 2 montages, back to back.

If you cut out the montages, that movie would be like 45 minutes long. But then again, why would you ever do that, because they're amazing.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

In light of current events WHM confirmed on twitter they will be doing Soul Man sometime soon

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Montage? Singular? There's at least 3 that I can think of, and the big training montage near the end is actually 2 montages, back to back.

If you cut out the montages, that movie would be like 45 minutes long. But then again, why would you ever do that, because they're amazing.

I consider the entire movie a montage.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Nailed it

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Please tell me next week's episode is Son of the Mask. I guess it could be Josie and the Pussycats but that is a masterpiece so I doubt they'd do it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, anybody covering Josie and the Pussycats on a bad movie podcast has made a terrible mistake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Please tell me next week's episode is Son of the Mask. I guess it could be Josie and the Pussycats but that is a masterpiece so I doubt they'd do it.

They mentioned that by name along with X-men 2 so I doubt it. Looking at his imdb there is Son of Mask, Spiceworld, The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, Get Carter, Spy Kids 3d, and Garfield.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

Is HDTGM even trying to be coherent anymore? I realize the show has always had people talking over each other, but Jupiter Ascending is incomprehensible. They do one minute of plot synopsis and then start jumping all over the place babbling about lizards with leather jackets and egg harvesting. Should I just assume at this point that I need to watch the movie before listening?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NewtonFig posted:

Is HDTGM even trying to be coherent anymore? I realize the show has always had people talking over each other, but Jupiter Ascending is incomprehensible. They do one minute of plot synopsis and then start jumping all over the place babbling about lizards with leather jackets and egg harvesting. Should I just assume at this point that I need to watch the movie before listening?

They have always assumed it. There is a reason why they announce the movie they are doing a week before.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NewtonFig posted:

jumping all over the place babbling about lizards with leather jackets and egg harvesting

That's Jupiter Ascending in a nutshell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

NewtonFig posted:

"Jupiter Ascending" and "coherent" are not two things that have anything to do with each other. I don't think any crew could have made that movie make sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Jupiter Ascending" and "coherent" are not two things that have anything to do with each other. I don't think any crew could have made that movie make sense.

See also Winter's Tale.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NewtonFig posted:

It has been like that for a while, it's why I stopped listening years ago. I feel like I should go back and maybe cherry pick a few episodes, because I did find Monkey Shines to be very funny for obvious reasons. I like all three of the hosts a lot, but their near constant confusion about what's going on and the yelling it triggers got too frustrating for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

It has been like that for a while, it's why I stopped listening years ago. I feel like I should go back and maybe cherry pick a few episodes, because I did find Monkey Shines to be very funny for obvious reasons. I like all three of the hosts a lot, but their near constant confusion about what's going on and the yelling it triggers got too frustrating for me.

The Island of Dr. Moreau needs to be listened to.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The Island of Dr. Moreau needs to be listened to.

I actually started it but bailed a few minutes in because Jason wasn't there.

NewtonFig
Apr 28, 2006

Not Head Brain of the Hobosphere

bobkatt013 posted:

They have always assumed it. There is a reason why they announce the movie they are doing a week before.

I guess that's my fault since I've never listened to the Minisodes, though I think it's a tall order to assume your entire audience is going to go out and watch the movie before listening to the episode, as opposed to, I dunno, actually structuring your discussions.

Are the Minisodes worth listening to?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

NewtonFig posted:

Are the Minisodes worth listening to?

No.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drunkboxer posted:

The rule for me is, when a new episode comes out, I ask myself two questions:

1) Is it a live episode?
2) Have I already seen this movie?

If I can answer yes to either of these, I listen. Especially live episodes, they really feed off of the crowd. If the answer to both is no, I delete it and move on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
HDTGM also depends on the guest. With everyone else talking over each other and going randomly through the movie, a good guest can make the whole thing listenable.

Really though, some sort of familiarity with the movie is usually necessary. Unless you just like listening to how much random scenes got Jason off or confused June.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Counter-point: I've listened to and thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every episode of HDTGM and have properly seen maybe five or six of the films they've ever discussed. I think constructing a film in my head based on their descriptions and my vague awareness of the film otherwise is somehow more entertaining to me? That might just be a personal thing though, can see why it would annoy other people to have not seen the film being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I just gave Haddithisgemade a shot, and I have to ask: how and why is it so friggin' sloppy about everything? I started with the Battlefield Earth episode and made it about halfway before deleting it - it's like they caught maybe 2/3 of the movie as they walked back and forth through their living rooms to do other things. The movie has enough plot holes already; you don't need to imagine new ones! In the Judge Dredd episode they just tripped over themselves whenever they tried to talk about external details (Pluto Nash was released several years later; Gianni Versace was the costume designer, not Stallone's personal tailor or whatever they thought he did; probably more bullshit but I gave up), and the live Howard the Duck episode started out with five solid minutes of people talking past each other about the ducks' evolution. The one redeeming episode out of those that I heard was The Room's, because the guests actually had a clue and basically carried the whole show. I understand that not everyone is going to be as disciplined as Film Sack (tangents aside, it's clear that those guys put a lot of effort into setting their discussions up), but would it kill these people to at least operate at the level of Read It and Weep?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 18, 2015