Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Drunkboxer posted:

I hope next WHM is Medicine Man

I'm hoping for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's a disaster that had potential to be really really good, and that's always good material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

HDTGM brings up script length a lot, so I looked it up and it's generally accepted that a "normal" script would be about 110 pages, with one page being about one minute of screentime.

Going by that, a 600 page script would be about 10 hours of movie.

I read about that 600 page script thing before the film came out and knew exactly what was going to go wrong with Jupiter Ascending. Even a giant first draft where you're throwing all your ideas in with the knowledge that you're cutting the majority of it might be about 250 pages. 600 pages is sheer logorrhea from someone who doesn't even have a vestigial internal editor.

Drunkboxer posted:

I hope next WHM is Medicine Man

I'm hoping for The Avengers, mainly because I don't think the crew is literary enough to make jokes about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 30, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

I'm hoping for The Avengers, mainly because I don't think the crew is literary enough to make jokes about The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

The problem with that is it might be bad timing with that movie due to John Steed dying. I would also expect some Harry Potter, James Bond, Game of Thrones and Hannibal jokes if they do that episode.
I half expect a bond film since there is a new one coming out.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The off topic discussions are the best part of WHM. Some of yall are crazy. Son of the Mask had some instant classics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Random Stranger posted:

Steve is a huge comics book nerd, and most of the big characters are from books that most people should know something about assuming they didn't completely sleep through high school. I think Allan Quatermain is the most obscure one there. I doubt very much the movie was as dense with literary easter eggs and cameos as the comics were.

Besides, they apparently didn't need to know poo poo about Pokemon to make an awesome episode out of that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Besides, they apparently didn't need to know poo poo about Pokemon to make an awesome episode out of that.

You know what? This is absolutely true. I would not mind a ten minute discussion where they argue about whether Dorian Gray is a wizard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Review the first Pokemon movie, do it WHM

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GrandpaPants posted:

Steve is a huge comics book nerd, and most of the big characters are from books that most people should know something about assuming they didn't completely sleep through high school. I think Allan Quatermain is the most obscure one there. I doubt very much the movie was as dense with literary easter eggs and cameos as the comics were.

Quartermain is only obscure if you aren't up on your Richard Chamberlain filmography. I wonder if he was sure that was going to be the next Indiana Jones of adventure series.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Reading King Solomon's Mine decodes Congo.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah I dunno, I think they'll be fine. They have a pretty broad general knowledge. I read King Solomon's Mines as a kid, after finding a rundown of it in a book that was more or less "abridged classics for children" and then finding the original book in the library. And even if they haven't read the book, there's a possibility that they'll have watched the films. Most of the other stuff is at least mentioned in passing in various English classes. I think King Solomon's Mines hasn't lasted in the same way because it's dated as gently caress, much like those Arthur Conan Doyle books he wanted to write instead of Holmes, about lost worlds and mysterious islands and whatever else.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
To be fair, Congo is kind of King Solomon's Mines: The Next Generation. Come for the diamonds, stay for the killer gorillas.

So they've already got a working knowledge of Alan Quartermain sort of follow ups.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Particularly those sourcebooks that the author has been working on for ages, not realizing that nobody besides himself cares about the fine details or ancient historical points the players would never know or ask about.

So you mean Rifts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kdrudy posted:

So you mean Rifts.

That movie's coming out any day now! :v:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah I dunno, I think they'll be fine. They have a pretty broad general knowledge. I read King Solomon's Mines as a kid, after finding a rundown of it in a book that was more or less "abridged classics for children" and then finding the original book in the library. And even if they haven't read the book, there's a possibility that they'll have watched the films. Most of the other stuff is at least mentioned in passing in various English classes. I think King Solomon's Mines hasn't lasted in the same way because it's dated as gently caress, much like those Arthur Conan Doyle books he wanted to write instead of Holmes, about lost worlds and mysterious islands and whatever else.

King Solomon's Mines is dated of course, but I don't really get why that would have stopped it from being remembered more. I mean Tarzan is remembered well and so is other worse and more racist "lost world" poo poo. This is more of a discussion for a different thread, but I always liked the book a lot. It's a good 19th century adventure novel by a guy who, while certainly being a product of his times, really liked the continent of Africa and it's people. I mean, there's plenty of racism to be found there but I bet the author would be bummed out being interpreted that way.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it and it wasn't nearly as racist as it could have been. But RE Tarzan - has anyone ever actually read Tarzan, or are they just going off the movies? I'd say that even fewer people have read Tarzan than have read the original Wizard of Oz book.
Again though, discussion for another thread. Just interesting to think that for some reason King Solomon's Mines isn't anywhere near in the public consciousness as much as The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland or even Tarzan is.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it and it wasn't nearly as racist as it could have been. But RE Tarzan - has anyone ever actually read Tarzan, or are they just going off the movies? I'd say that even fewer people have read Tarzan than have read the original Wizard of Oz book.
Again though, discussion for another thread. Just interesting to think that for some reason King Solomon's Mines isn't anywhere near in the public consciousness as much as The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland or even Tarzan is.

I read Tarzan as a kid because I was given a collection of the books bound in a huge hard-to-handle paperback. I liked the first one a lot but the later ones aren't as good, sort of like how the sequel to KSMs isn't as good. But yeah I think it's just a cultural touchstone now, because I don't think most people read it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

The problem with that is it might be bad timing with that movie due to John Steed dying. I would also expect some Harry Potter, James Bond, Game of Thrones and Hannibal jokes if they do that episode.
I half expect a bond film since there is a new one coming out.

Seriously doubt they'd do a bond movie, although I would enjoy it. If they did, it would probably have to be Diamonds Are Forever, unless they want to get into the racial issues of You Only Live Twice or the rapey issues of Thunderball.

Lol what if it's zardoz.

Do WHM movies have an age rule? I seem to recall they have a 10 year rule but I don't see any episodes going further than the mid 80s

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's rare but it does happen. Episode 36 The Conqueror and episode 177 Wild in the Streets are both from the sixties. I think it's just based on them growing up in the late eighties/early nineties that you see them do more lovely movies from that era.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's no "what is a Street Fighter?", but June's "what exactly makes them mutants?" in this week's HDTGM about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze comes drat close.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The audience question segment made the episode for me. Who takes a girl to a podcast taping on a date? Let alone a bad movie podcast about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

Seriously doubt they'd do a bond movie, although I would enjoy it.

They already did a bond movie.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's no "what is a Street Fighter?", but June's "what exactly makes them mutants?" in this week's HDTGM about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze comes drat close.

Someone in this thread described rear end Backwards as "more of a documentary," and I think about it and chuckle every time she says something insane.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

They already did a bond movie.

A Connery Bond film. Die Another Day is a wreck of a film on its own merits.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

The audience question segment made the episode for me. Who takes a girl to a podcast taping on a date? Let alone a bad movie podcast about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Someone who has been dating for a while and shares similar interests, perhaps in the same movies, podcasts, and movie podcasts?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Seriously doubt they'd do a bond movie, although I would enjoy it. If they did, it would probably have to be Diamonds Are Forever, unless they want to get into the racial issues of You Only Live Twice or the rapey issues of Thunderball.

Lol what if it's zardoz.

Do WHM movies have an age rule? I seem to recall they have a 10 year rule but I don't see any episodes going further than the mid 80s

Yeah, it's probably Zardoz. How did I forget about Zardoz.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Doing Zardoz would require attempting to explain what happens in Zardoz.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Vosgian Beast posted:

HDTGM did it, and it was a decent episode. Makes me wonder if another popular bad movie podcast doing it recently would knock down the chances of them doing a movie. Both did face/off close together though.

Also re the TMNT 2 episode: the vanilla ice interview they played is straight off the YouTube video of ninja rap if anyone didn't know

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The plots not that bad if you stay away for the whole movie, which was my problem the first 3 times I watched it. Always at someones ones house, always drunk.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Gyges posted:

To be fair, Congo is kind of King Solomon's Mines: The Next Generation. Come for the diamonds, stay for the killer gorillas.

So they've already got a working knowledge of Alan Quartermain sort of follow ups.

Drunkboxer posted:

King Solomon's Mines is dated of course, but I don't really get why that would have stopped it from being remembered more. I mean Tarzan is remembered well and so is other worse and more racist "lost world" poo poo. This is more of a discussion for a different thread, but I always liked the book a lot. It's a good 19th century adventure novel by a guy who, while certainly being a product of his times, really liked the continent of Africa and it's people. I mean, there's plenty of racism to be found there but I bet the author would be bummed out being interpreted that way.

I tweeted with Eric from WHM about some Quartermain 80's movies making their way to WHM, but in the meantime there's the episode we did on King Solomon's Mines: http://www.yourstupidminds.com/2014/02/podcast-king-solomons-mines-1985.html

I love the Quartermain books, even with their crazy 19th century racism. One of these days we'll have to review a version of "She."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

One of these days we'll have to review a version of "She."

The sheer number of adaptations of that novel is just shocking.

The 1935 version is usually the one regarded as the "best", but how can you resist the rock-opera version...

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
DragonHeart, nice. I remember thinking this was dumb even when I saw it as a kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh hey, phone lines are open for We Hate Movie request month.

So let me make a pitch to you guys (and not in the thread that the We Hate Movies read). After the fuss about The Interview, I thought it would be funny to arrange a group of people calling in and pretending to be a North Korean operation trying to raise the profile of NK cinema by demanding they do Pulgasari.

For the two of you who do not know it, Pulgasari is an infamous North Korean giant monster film. Kim Jong Il had his favorite South Korean director and soap star abducted and forced them to make movies for him. It's goofy, has strangely mixed political messages (wonder how that happened), but at the same time is peppy enough to not be boring. The film is available on YouTube if you want to watch it.

I think you can see why I thought it would be amusing to have a bunch of people call in on this. Four or five people calling in over the space of a few weeks and each claiming to be the "new head of the North Korean film board" would be funny. Or if there were a few "abducted tourists" who made obviously "forced" requests. And since they don't mind multiple requests, you're not losing anything if you call in a few weeks after you made your real request.

I should say that I strongly doubt that they'd pick Pulgasari for the show. Not because they'd expect bomb threats against all of their listeners from a country who doesn't know how the Internet works, but because I doubt that they'd do a subtitled film. I'm asking people to do this mainly because I think that they'd find the idea of North Korea going after them to be hilarious.

Have some images from the film so you can understand it:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh good Keanu Reeves. There are so many choices. It could be Bill and Ted, Matrix sequel, Constantine

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Great episode.

Really looking forward to the inevitable "movies that made me cry" section of the next mailbag. Whoever said it was totally right, the mailbag episodes are great.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Random Stranger posted:

Oh hey, phone lines are open for We Hate Movie request month.

So let me make a pitch to you guys (and not in the thread that the We Hate Movies read). After the fuss about The Interview, I thought it would be funny to arrange a group of people calling in and pretending to be a North Korean operation trying to raise the profile of NK cinema by demanding they do Pulgasari.

For the two of you who do not know it, Pulgasari is an infamous North Korean giant monster film. Kim Jong Il had his favorite South Korean director and soap star abducted and forced them to make movies for him. It's goofy, has strangely mixed political messages (wonder how that happened), but at the same time is peppy enough to not be boring. The film is available on YouTube if you want to watch it.

I think you can see why I thought it would be amusing to have a bunch of people call in on this. Four or five people calling in over the space of a few weeks and each claiming to be the "new head of the North Korean film board" would be funny. Or if there were a few "abducted tourists" who made obviously "forced" requests. And since they don't mind multiple requests, you're not losing anything if you call in a few weeks after you made your real request.

I should say that I strongly doubt that they'd pick Pulgasari for the show. Not because they'd expect bomb threats against all of their listeners from a country who doesn't know how the Internet works, but because I doubt that they'd do a subtitled film. I'm asking people to do this mainly because I think that they'd find the idea of North Korea going after them to be hilarious.

Have some images from the film so you can understand it:

This is a dumb idea and you should feel dumb for suggesting it. If you want them to pick Pulgasari, just suggest it, instead of trying to get a bunch of goons do ~*~*~*~hilarious~*~*~*~ impressions of North Korean officials or whatever to stuff the ballot box.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rincewind posted:

This is a dumb idea and you should feel dumb for suggesting it. If you want them to pick Pulgasari, just suggest it, instead of trying to get a bunch of goons do ~*~*~*~hilarious~*~*~*~ impressions of North Korean officials or whatever to stuff the ballot box.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was funnier in his head.

Don't listen to me though, I just picked up listening to WHM. I think the title is misleading because I'm starting to get the impression that they do not in fact hate movies.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh good Keanu Reeves. There are so many choices. It could be Bill and Ted, Matrix sequel, Constantine

I'm hoping for The Lake House.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

I'm hoping for The Lake House.

I doubt that since it came out in 2006.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt that since it came out in 2006.

Maybe they got their copy through the magic mailbox, making it older.

That was the idea of the movie, right? A magic, time vortex mailbox that let Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock write to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

bobkatt013 posted:

Freaked? He was in Freaked, wasn't he?