Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Sorry I was slightly off in what I said. Still the general point stands.

This is a fair point and I respect his opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ISIS is better than Gamergate, zero irony or exaggeration.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ISIS is the end result of prolonged poverty, deprivation, and carnage.

#GG is the end result of shitheels whining on the internet.

Hello and welcome to the movie podcast thread

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Obligatory mention, if we're going to bring up Quinnghazi, of Internet Toilet Adam Baldwin.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rodyle posted:

ISIS is the end result of prolonged poverty, deprivation, and carnage.

#GG is the end result of shitheels whining on the internet.

Hello and welcome to the movie podcast thread

I'm mainly just making fun of people treating some joke Faraci made while talking to friends as a gigantic gotcha.

Especially when it's Devin Faraci, who has said way more embarrassing poo poo not as a joke.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Especially when it's Devin Faraci, who has said way more embarrassing poo poo not as a joke.
He's the one who had a hilarious meltdown a few weeks ago where he "quit" Twitter for like eight hours before coming back cause god knows we desperately needed his opinion on what Captain America would say to Donald Trump or some poo poo?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm mainly just making fun of people treating some joke Faraci made while talking to friends as a gigantic gotcha.

I have no idea who this dude even is but talking about GG is never okay unless you're making fun of Adam Baldwin.

It's always okay to mock Adam Baldwin.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
GG and everyone who unironically talks about it, no matter who they are or believe, are autistic.

so how bout dem podcasts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
its me gamergate allin

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Al! posted:

its me gamergate allin

I love your work, especially when you smear feces on your face and fight people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rrussom posted:

GG and everyone who unironically talks about it, no matter who they are or believe, are autistic.

so how bout dem podcasts.

Don't be such a Cotard's Syndrome about this.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
HDGTM is, like, Bad Movie Podcasts 101. I liked them way more than others when I first started listening to podcasts, but grew out of them as they became more annoying and just went after easy, softball jokes. Even when they're doing stuff not everyone has gone after ("Solarbabies", "Gooby") it feels like they're just going after the easy target. WHM is the best around these days, in my opinion.

However, I worked on "Gods of Egypt" in a small capacity, and listening to HDTGM trash it is the best thing they've done in a very, very, very long time. Zouks thinking that the movie came out in 2014 instead of 2016 is pretty hilarious.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Captain Hotbutt posted:

However, I worked on "Gods of Egypt" in a small capacity, and listening to HDTGM trash it is the best thing they've done in a very, very, very long time. Zouks thinking that the movie came out in 2014 instead of 2016 is pretty hilarious.

If I may ask... Who the gently caress looked at Gods of Egypt and said "Yes, in 2016 these are special effects that are totally and perfectly acceptable"? From the trailer alone that was drat near Escape From LA levels of awful CGI.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Fezz posted:

I'm fond of Blank Check with Griffin and David. They go through a director's catalog. They choose based on a director who has a big hit early on and is given a "blank check" to do whatever they want on their follow up films. They are currently in the middle of Cameron Crowe. They've done the Wachowskis and M. Night Shyamalan as well as several one offs of comic book movies.

Be warned the first thirty episodes are deep dives into the Star Wars prequel trilogy. So you may not want to listen to them discuss each film ten times.

I'm three episodes into the Shyamalan series. It seems like a much less fun podcast than Flophouse or We Hate Movies. Surprisingly, it's the comedian (Griffin) who's much more interested in long detailed analyses of film theory, while the critic (David) wants to do a more high-level discussion of what works and what doesn't. That might change going forward (they're still talking about the "good" movies).

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 22, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I loved that movie, got mad hyed for it with buddies, even played the mobile game and went opening night. Frequently speculated how many PS3s were used to render it - best guess is two.

Almost no one else was there, and it was hilarious. Battle Beast mode is now a running joke, as is closely monitoring the GoT cast curse.

Best movie experience of 2016 so far.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Tracula posted:

If I may ask... Who the gently caress looked at Gods of Egypt and said "Yes, in 2016 these are special effects that are totally and perfectly acceptable"? From the trailer alone that was drat near Escape From LA levels of awful CGI.

I have no real idea, but the sheer volume of it all - CG characters + landscapes + architecture + the body morphing + completion deadlines - probably had something to do with it. It may have been a cartoon-ish aesthetic choice as well.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I thought the scenes with Ra flying around in space were kind of cool, actually.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://www.patreon.com/wehatemovies

It begins. I'm in for a Trek show with this crew.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
loving booooo over patron-exclusive content. Boooo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Hotbutt posted:

HDGTM is, like, Bad Movie Podcasts 101. I liked them way more than others when I first started listening to podcasts, but grew out of them as they became more annoying and just went after easy, softball jokes. Even when they're doing stuff not everyone has gone after ("Solarbabies", "Gooby") it feels like they're just going after the easy target. WHM is the best around these days, in my opinion.

HDTGM was one of the first podcasts I started listening to. I was so hyped to learn there were podcasts out there where they talked about bad movies. But as soon as I learned there were others, I quickly learned HDTGM was also pretty poor. I've heard Paul Scheer (sp?) on some other shows and I actually like his jokes when he's doing a routine, but hearing him on HDTGM is painfully awkward. His off-the-cuff jokes are usually preluded with stuttering and hiccups and weird off-comments that don't follow where he's trying to go. Also, I've never heard a podcast that has so many commercials and they are so long. I get it that they want to get paid, or at least cover their expenses, and they're probably under some obligation by the podcast network to do it, or whatever, but gently caress. Maybe the commercials wouldn't be so loving annoying if Paul wasn't doing them.

Also, they had a guest on the Pluto Nash episode, some girl, and I guess she was on some kind of show, but...I'm not entirely sure, but I THINK she is somewhat mentally handicapped? And they spent the entire show making fun of her handicap. Which I think is a bit...well, it's more awkward. If she ISN'T handicapped, then...gently caress, then she's just weirdly stupid, and that's almost as awkward. And I get it, June is also pretty stupid, I'm sick of hearing how stupid she is, guys. I'm sick of hearing how stupid your WIFE is, Paul.

HDTGM just is unpleasant to listen to now :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bango skank posted:

If there wasn't exclusive content there would be no point in becoming a patron. That said if I were them I'd do a general release after like 6 months.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm a little disappointed it appears that listener request month is becoming exclusive to five Patreon rich kids but other than that I'm down to throw them some bucks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

weekly font posted:

I'm a little disappointed it appears that listener request month is becoming exclusive to five Patreon rich kids but other than that I'm down to throw them some bucks.

At least this means Eraserhead guy won't have to shoot Steve

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

weekly font posted:

See, I sorta figure that's why the thing is limited to only 5, so they can do one a month in non-LRM times of the year and still do listener request at the start.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

weekly font posted:

Listener Request Month will still be happening on the main feed open to everyone. Get your pick ready for March's LRM!

This other tier will be peppered in here and there but in no way would LRM go away.

Keep on keep in on,

Eric

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BlameSpacePod posted:

Listener Request Month will still be happening on the main feed open to everyone. Get your pick ready for March's LRM!

This other tier will be peppered in here and there but in no way would LRM go away.

Keep on keep in on,

Eric

Thanks for clearing things up. You keep on loving that chicken yourself.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BlameSpacePod posted:

Keep on keep in on,

Eric

Good to know! Thanks for sticking around these parts, we love you adorable scamps.

At least this means Eraserhead guy won't have to shoot Steve

HEY SADJAK!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BlameSpacePod posted:

Keep on keep in on,

Eric

Hey whatever gets you guys to do more commentaries, I'm happy

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BlameSpacePod posted:

Keep on keep in on,

Eric

Okay so, I'm going to sign up for $8 a month but I still would like to send you guys an extra $42... where do I send the check?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So I've now listened to the Shyamalan and Wachowski "arcs" of Blank Check. The show is a bit smarter than a straight "bad movie podcast," so might be good if you want a little more analysis in your humor.

Trigger warning: if you don't like Eliot from the FlopHouse, you will throw your player of choice across the room after 90 minutes of show co-host Griffin.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bango skank posted:

Oh give me a break, it's EXTRA content, you're not losing your regularly scheduled free show. And if you want it that bad you can just wait a few months for there to be a backlog of exclusive episodes, pay the minimum amount for just one month, and download it all.

The Modern Leper posted:

So I've now listened to the Shyamalan and Wachowski "arcs" of Blank Check. The show is a bit smarter than a straight "bad movie podcast," so might be good if you want a little more analysis in your humor.

Trigger warning: if you don't like Eliot from the FlopHouse, you will throw your player of choice across the room after 90 minutes of show co-host Griffin.

For a bit I thought you were saying Griffin McElroy of Polygon & Monster Factory, but no :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Haha, no (though that would be fascinating). This Griffin is the guy playing Arthur on the new Tick show. He's actually the more academic host, which is odd because he's the comedian opposite movie critic Dave Sims. Like Eliot, he's an earnest but overly excitable nerd who has a lot of knowledge but no sense of when it's better to not provide every single detail.

They're close friends in real life so Sims can tell him to shut the gently caress up when necessary, but it's still exhausting when he insists he needs to cover just one more thing.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If there wasn't exclusive content there would be no point in becoming a patron. That said if I were them I'd do a general release after like 6 months.
I dunno, the UYD Patreon is the only one I've pledged to on and off and there's no real benefit other than discounts on the store. They seem to be doing fine.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh give me a break, it's EXTRA content, you're not losing your regularly scheduled free show. And if you want it that bad you can just wait a few months for there to be a backlog of exclusive episodes, pay the minimum amount for just one month, and download it all.
Previously, Animation Damnation was a free side show they did once a month in addition to the regular show and mailbags. Post-patreon it's locked behind a pay-wall. The Nexus doesn't really bother me because it's a completely new concept and something I'd be interested in eventually, even if I can't afford to pledge right now. Something about having content that was free now locked behind a paywall just rubs me the wrong way. But I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet, who cares what I think about the way the guy run the show.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The problem with HDTGM is that they switched to doing way more live episodes than taped ones. The live episodes have a much lazier vibe because they wait for audience reactions, have to deal with weirdos awkwardly asking questions, and just never get a rhythm going. The taped episodes are just so much more energetic and allow the hosts to get on riff tangents that lead to hilarious poo poo. Live episodes are more awkward than funny at this point because Jason has open contempt for the audience members and their awful questions, as do I. All the best episodes of HDTGM (88 Minutes, Monkey Shines, Nothing But Trouble, etc) would never be any good in the live format, I really wish they would stop doing so many shows. Same goes for WHM really, but at least they keep the live ones to a minimum.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

bango skank posted:

I dunno, the UYD Patreon is the only one I've pledged to on and off and there's no real benefit other than discounts on the store. They seem to be doing fine.
Previously, Animation Damnation was a free side show they did once a month in addition to the regular show and mailbags. Post-patreon it's locked behind a pay-wall. The Nexus doesn't really bother me because it's a completely new concept and something I'd be interested in eventually, even if I can't afford to pledge right now. Something about having content that was free now locked behind a paywall just rubs me the wrong way. But I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet, who cares what I think about the way the guy run the show.

Animation Damnation and Side Order of Sleaze were originally paid app-only.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

The Modern Leper posted:

I don't know. I can't stand Eliot from Flop House when he shows up on Star Wars Minute but I could listen to Griffin all day.

I do agree that he does tend to ramble on tangents. I enjoy a little film criticism with my making GBS threads on bad movies. It's the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup of bad movie podcasts.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tato posted:

The problem with HDTGM is that they switched to doing way more live episodes than taped ones. The live episodes have a much lazier vibe because they wait for audience reactions, have to deal with weirdos awkwardly asking questions, and just never get a rhythm going. The taped episodes are just so much more energetic and allow the hosts to get on riff tangents that lead to hilarious poo poo. Live episodes are more awkward than funny at this point because Jason has open contempt for the audience members and their awful questions, as do I. All the best episodes of HDTGM (88 Minutes, Monkey Shines, Nothing But Trouble, etc) would never be any good in the live format, I really wish they would stop doing so many shows. Same goes for WHM really, but at least they keep the live ones to a minimum.

It's too bad because they had a short run of really excellent live eps

E: HDTGM I mean

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

The Modern Leper posted:

Haha, no (though that would be fascinating). This Griffin is the guy playing Arthur on the new Tick show. He's actually the more academic host, which is odd because he's the comedian opposite movie critic Dave Sims. Like Eliot, he's an earnest but overly excitable nerd who has a lot of knowledge but no sense of when it's better to not provide every single detail.

They're close friends in real life so Sims can tell him to shut the gently caress up when necessary, but it's still exhausting when he insists he needs to cover just one more thing.

I've been working my way through the backlog of this show over the last few weeks. I'm listening to the Signs episode now. I've enjoyed the transition from Star Wars gimmick show to whatever the current premise is. I have laughed out loud at this show and have obviously been compelled enough to keep listening.

That said about half of the time I wish I could slap Griffin through my headphones. He's obviously a smart and funny dude, but he has a neediness that honestly makes me a little uncomfortable at times. When he's manically pursuing some bit and David calls him out on it, and he uses that as an excuse to just amp it up and commit even harder I'm reaching for the fast forward button. The bit where he reads his atrocious high school paper on black representation in media is amazing but only because David is there to rightly chide him not only for writing it as a kid but for insisting on narcissistically wallowing in it on the show. I like him in the Tick pilot, and his dynamic with David is pretty much the core appeal of the show. But I feel like David has more insight in like half the words and without the weird, desperate self consciousness. Maybe i just don't like actors. Also, I'm whining online about a podcast so I don't have a lot of room to make fun of anyone.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Michael Massee's garbage island is the best gag on WHM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
The Halloween Movie Marathon that Andrew Jupin hosts and where WHM talks over a bad horror movie is happening again: https://burnsfilmcenter.org/booking/halloweenmoviemarathon/

I'm going. I may be making a terrible mistake.