Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Christian Mingle is a classic Flophouse episode, especially as someone who heard Corbin Bernsen talk about the movie on More Than One Lesson.

The bit about JDate and Blackpeoplemeet had me close to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
WHM's mailbag this week is an instant classic specifically for the "Steelers Fans in the Theatre" story and riff.

Drew Carey as Bane made me laugh way too hard.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Captain Hotbutt posted:

WHM's mailbag this week is an instant classic specifically for the "Steelers Fans in the Theatre" story and riff.

Drew Carey as Bane made me laugh way too hard.

As a former resident of Northeast Ohio, I am all-too familiar with "Yinzers." (And it's not a racial slur.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobservo posted:

As a former resident of Northeast Ohio, I am all-too familiar with "Yinzers." (And it's not a racial slur.)

I've lived in the Pittsburgh area for most of my life.

This is my normal

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Kangra posted:

The bit about JDate and Blackpeoplemeet had me close to tears.
What made it great was Dan's immediate reaction of confused horror to "blackpeople meat."

Also, I know the thread loves to dump on HDTGM, but the latest episodes of Stealth and Vampire Academy really made me want to watch Stealth and Vampire Academy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Vampire Academy had a fantastic soundtrack which has always made me want to track it down.

Maybe I'll have to give that episode a listen.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Hollow Man WHM was great, that movie always cracked me up. I love how much they hate Greg Grunberg

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

END ME SCOOB posted:

Vampire Academy had a fantastic soundtrack which has always made me want to track it down.

Maybe I'll have to give that episode a listen.

It really wasn't a bad movie, IMO. Kinda fun overall.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Crisco Kid posted:

What made it great was Dan's immediate reaction of confused horror to "blackpeople meat."

Also, I know the thread loves to dump on HDTGM, but the latest episodes of Stealth and Vampire Academy really made me want to watch Stealth and Vampire Academy.

Mods change my name to Blackpeople Meat tia

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've enjoyed the last few HDTGM episodes away from the live format, it's actually fun again.

I also like that I've listened to like, 4 bad movie podcasts on Dreamcatcher and none of them have ever been able to come close to actually describing all of the insane poo poo in that film going on. You can listen to all 4 and there's still tons of stuff left out. It's the gift that keeps on giving. The book is even worse.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

It was my first Stephen King book and I really loved it. I also loved the movie when it came out. Only lately did I see the movie again on TV and realize just how godawful and insane it truly is.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Tato posted:

I've enjoyed the last few HDTGM episodes away from the live format, it's actually fun again.

I also like that I've listened to like, 4 bad movie podcasts on Dreamcatcher and none of them have ever been able to come close to actually describing all of the insane poo poo in that film going on. You can listen to all 4 and there's still tons of stuff left out. It's the gift that keeps on giving. The book is even worse.

What's the other 2? I'm assuming, the other ones are We Hate Movies and HDTGM, of course.

Oh, and I know this is late, but I want to acknowledged the Klarion the Witch Boy joke that Steve made in the Pet Sematary 2 episode that the other two sandbag :v:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tato posted:

Stephen King posted:

Well, I don't like Dreamcatcher very much. Dreamcatcher was written after the accident. [In 1999, King was hit by a van while taking a walk and left severely injured.] I was using a lot of Oxycontin for pain. And I couldn't work on a computer back then because it hurt too much to sit in that position. So I wrote the whole thing longhand. And I was pretty stoned when I wrote it, because of the Oxy, and that's another book that shows the drugs at work.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 17, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Clickety clack

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
Anyone else get choked up during the "Rocket Crocodile Action Squad" letter in the Lazarus Effect ep of The Flop House? Elliott's mentioned friends with depression and alluded to knowing a few people who've committed or attempted suicide, but that was pretty moving.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

adamcantsleep posted:

Anyone else get choked up during the "Rocket Crocodile Action Squad" letter in the Lazarus Effect ep of The Flop House? Elliott's mentioned friends with depression and alluded to knowing a few people who've committed or attempted suicide, but that was pretty moving.

More than that, he actually alludes to having contemplated it at some point in his life. That's not incredibly uncommon, but still rough to hear.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's definitely cool if that's connecting with people but I do wish they were better at transitioning into and out of those discussions.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Calaveron posted:

Clickety clack

You stole mah story.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Stephen King movies are always great episode fodder, but I wish they would do a film based on a Dean Koontz novel sometime.

Mainly Demon Seed, which is a utterly insane movie where a computer controlled house impregnates a woman.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Anybody listen to the WHM star trek podcast? Is that worth paying for? Their ST movie episodes are always pretty good. I just want more terrible picard impressions.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Anybody listen to the WHM star trek podcast? Is that worth paying for? Their ST movie episodes are always pretty good. I just want more terrible picard impressions.

Oh god yes. This month's may be my favorite episode of anything they've ever done.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Next month they are going to watch the most racist star trek episode and their reaction should be glorious.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Next month they are going to watch the most racist star trek episode and their reaction should be glorious.

The weirdest thing about that episode is that there's nothing in the script that's specifically racist, but when actually made the movie they cast all black actors as the aliens and dressed them up like genies. If it had just been regular star trek fore-head aliens the episode wouldn't be remembered at all.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Apparently the director or writer of that episode went on to do the most racist episode of SG1 as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Edit: i have no idea how this post got here

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Code of Honor is also really really loving sexist too. Nobody talks about that part. In fact, I saw a panel with a bunch of TNG people and they were all talking about that episode and how racist it is and Denise Crosby pipes up with "and it's really horribly sexist too" and they all just looked uncomfortable and changed the subject. Which made me sad.

Oh, and I agree that The Nexus is good as hell and worth it if you're even a little familiar with the Star Tracks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh sweet Jesus, I had no idea what episode this was till I googled it and the screen grab of the "aliens" popped up and NOPE NOPE NOPE OH GOD

I tried to forget... I tried so hard to forget........

Well I'm heading to the pawn shop to get WHM Patreon money.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ahahaha I had totally forgotten this one until I looked it up online, through which I also found this quote:

quote:

Jonathan Frakes referred to the episode as a "racist piece of poo poo"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Johnathan Frakes sounds like a cool guy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Except for Shatner from what I know most Star Trek actors are generally really cool and decent folks. I just can't get over how much of a prick he was to Kate Mulgrew on The Captains.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

George Takei is one of the pillars that keeps our horrific society from collapsing in on itself

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Drinking vodka out of a flask on the train to the Jacob Burns Halloween Marathon where WHM are gonna talk over Death Spa. Lookin' classy, feelin' classy. Should be a fun night.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

powerful sex moves posted:

Drinking vodka out of a flask on the train to the Jacob Burns Halloween Marathon where WHM are gonna talk over Death Spa. Lookin' classy, feelin' classy. Should be a fun night.

loving jealous as hell. I'm absolutely going to go to next year's marathon. Let us know how it goes.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

loving jealous as hell. I'm absolutely going to go to next year's marathon. Let us know how it goes.

I also ended up going. The WHM guys were great (glad to see Chris Cabin alive/well/unabducted by aliens). They did Death Spa, which was fun, but probably not something I'd make any real effort to see outside of this context. The rest of the lineup was very fun too, though Greasy Strangler-The Eyes of My Mother-Jigoku was a very draining set of movies to put 3-4-5 (of 8). Also nothing actually really scary, but I don't really like watching scary movies in theaters anyhow.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
What was the surprise movie from Sundance?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The surprise movie was "Eyes of My Mother" which was quite good. I think of the three live riffs they've done at the Burns, "Death Spa" was the one that needed it the least because of how nuts the movie is on its own. Both "Halloween 3" and especially "Jason Takes Manhattan" had slow spots in the movies the WHM guys were able to elevate. Still a blast, and there was such a good flow to the order of the movies this time.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

So, it was fun as hell and I'm definitely going again next year. Seeing the Greasy Strangler with a live audience was pretty special. People looking at each other like WHAT THE gently caress at that ending was hilarious. Briefly talked with Eric and Steve outside and tried to warn them about the Space Africans episode coming up. Nice guys. Eric in particular.

If anyone is hesitant to go because they'd have to go by themselves for whatever reason - don't let that stop you. I went alone and was a little nervous about it but it worked out great. It's a pretty social atmosphere and there are plenty of other people by themselves, so you find yourself chatting with strangers between movies since you have a subject to talk about right off the bat (the movies themselves). Now I'm wondering if I talked to any of you.

edit:

Robert Denby posted:

The surprise movie was "Eyes of My Mother" which was quite good.

Yeah, that was particularly good. When it first started I was like "oh poo poo, this looks pretentious" but ended up being pleasantly surprised.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 23, 2016

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

The Modern Leper posted:

So I've now listened to the Shyamalan and Wachowski "arcs" of Blank Check. The show is a bit smarter than a straight "bad movie podcast," so might be good if you want a little more analysis in your humor.

Trigger warning: if you don't like Eliot from the FlopHouse, you will throw your player of choice across the room after 90 minutes of show co-host Griffin.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'm of the opinion that enough can never be said about the Star Wars prequels. I really like the whole pretense of viewing the prequels as the first movies in the series, with no knowledge of the OT. It's an interesting take on a pretty well worn subject.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The Hamsterman bit is amazing in the latest WHM mailbag. Holy poo poo, I don't ever cracked up that badly in public before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I felt differently."