Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
She-Job and Jean Gray's night out made me laugh out loud in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I can only think of one real in-joke in this most recent episode, and half the joke was that Elliot burned through it in the most rote way possible. The biggest problem is that all their jokes come out of their relationship and personalities in a huge way. Flophouse is my favorite of the bad movie podcasts, but I think WHM is probably a better joke machine.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Trilogy of terror, perhaps? I remember the running character was a cat, which they got some mileage out of. Yeah, though, the lack of a consistent through-line undermines running gags and callbacks.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Man Jessie Thorn is a funny guy and Maxfun has a great bunch of podcasts but him starting the podcast with a money plea was super tacky. I don't remember that ever happening on other podcasts that join.

That said, great episode, Hallie is a national treasure, and I'm sure they're gonna be great fits in the network.

Doesn't the fact that Jesse Thorn doesn't usually do it suggest that maybe the Floppers asked for it? I mean, if it's all the same to them, why change to a different network at all. Clearly, they're hoping to get some additional support out of the deal and, like Thorn said, the normal pledge drive won't happen for several months.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is my main problem with HDTGM. On the Flop House and We Hate Movies, I feel like I don't need to see the movie to understand the conversation, but HDTGM makes me feel like I do. And that would be fine if it wasn't a bad movie podcast. I don't wanna see Goobie to get the most out of a comedy podcast

I feel the exact same way but, in their defense, their entire model assumes that everyone's seen the movie. That's why they have the preview episode, unlike the other podcasts that keep it a secret until the day it drops.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've listened to literally every single WHM (except for Wired) and every WHM spinoff (Side Order, Damnation, etc.) - most twice. I still can't differentiate between the different personalities once any given episode is done.

Edit: Tangential sidenote on how much I love the spooktacular theme. Never gets tired.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't get how you guys can't tell the WHM people apart, they all sound very different to me. I am totally flabbergasted that anyone can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. Stuart talks in a pretty weird way in general, they have different pitches to their voices and different accents. I'm starting to think people who like movie podcasts all have some sort of sensory impairing brain damage.

I guess I just don't care who they are. The original Peaches are entirely distinguishable to me. But hey, if you'd prefer to call brain damage on people. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Actually, literally this. I know they have different voices (I don't think there's just one guy in the room), I just couldn't tell you who's who because their personalities don't stand out particularly strongly.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2014

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BigRed0427 posted:

I just thought of a bad movie category I don't hear enough about. Bad Dramas that are obviously fishing for an Oscar. Have the WHM guys or anyone else ever cover those kind of movies?

It didn't have the same scale, but at least one of those shows did "Passion Play," which at least came from the same level of earnestness. I feel that a cynical Oscar grab would be like a bad comedy - less fun/bad and more painfully dull.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can tell Clint and Jared apart just fine, but it's not always easy to tell people apart from just a voice if they have the same accent and have roughly the same voice pitch, hence why it's difficult for some to tell the WHM guys apart (and I will admit I tend not to worry about who's saying what during the podcast - although they do tend to refer to each other by name frequently enough during the podcast, so I never find myself getting confused.) It's similar to the telephone effect - when you hear someone on a phone and often even if you know them, they sound different/odd when you're just hearing their voice. This is probably the reason why people often think I'm my mother or my brother when I answer the home phone, even though we really don't have the same voices.

personally, I think those choices are too obvious. Although I will admit that they both sound like movies that seem like they need to be seen to be believed, but Mac and Me is so notorious that it may well be in the "we'll never review this" bucket for WHM, along with Troll 2 and The Room.
Predictably, I called in with The Watcher, and with Windows, because the first one is amazingly funny and the second one is awful, mean-spirited and hideously boring.

In my mind, bad dramas are some of the best bad movies, because they very frequently become amazing comedies. Bad comedies, on the other hand, are excruciating blocks of unfunny pain, and there's frequently very little you can say about them other than "this isn't funny. This is offensive. this isn't funny. This isn't funny!" I have a review show and I've reviewed more than a couple of bad dramas, and they're usually very fulfilling to make fun of and frequently have premises that inspire laughter just in their own right, such as Rpattz as Gay Salvador Dali, or Oliver Twist but they're all gay prostitutes
Ones that are oscar bait that don't work out so well also frequently feature laughably melodramatic acting and plot lines, obnoxious sweeping music and heavy handed themes, all of which are ripe for parody. Also, bad dramas are often bad in ways one wouldn't even anticipate.

I would love to see more bad dramas on WHM, as I love it when they do lifetime movies or erotic thrillers, which are the closest they usually get to bad drama. On the other hand, I skip several of the episodes on horror, as I have little interest in horror movies, and find they don't tend to result in particularly notable or amusing episodes.

Twist is a bad movie, but to be honest all it does it take existing subtext and make it hammer over the head text. It's lazy and unsubtle, but I don't think it's inherently laughable.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The sense of smug entitlement in that post makes me mad every time I read it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The best things come in bears.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Canvas. If the only funny part was the impression of the guy from "American Movie," it would still be my favorite.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

laz0rbeak posted:

This week's HDTGM was great, mostly because A View to A Kill is great. I'm not through the episode yet, but do they mention what a glass house Bond is in calling Zorin a "psychopath"? I mean just in this movie, he sleeps with Mayday for no reason, one of four women in just this movie. He has no empathy for the people he kills, even the ones that are just goons, as he quips about a heavy being "all wrapped up" after he's stuck on a conveyor belt and stuck in a box. He also engages in constant thrill-seeking behavior, and lies to people for no reason: he gives Tanya Roberts an outrageous story about being a reporter, but why? And Chris Walken is the psychopath?

This week's Flophouse was lame, as the lack of a real plot seemed to keep the floppers from really digging into anything and just meant more "Dan laughs at a marginally funny Elliott riff" that is my second-least favorite thing about that show.

And I like BioS a lot, but most of the "guest" eps just don't work for me. I got unreasonably excited recently when a woman called me to talk about how she was re-suing the government re: HAARP. Disappointingly, she didn't get mentioned by the ep, but she's so crazy I had to find her user comments: https://disqus.com/by/vicki_mclean/

That's unfortunate, because last episode's "Dan laughs at an Eliot riff" was glorious.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re Flop House:

A: They talk about the movie for a good forty minutes, and are very clear that there's nothing to support a long-form discussion.

B: This wasn't their pick. Blame the contest winner.

C: If you don't laugh at "Buffeted by the winds of fate, Batman!" I don't know what to tell you.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

laz0rbeak posted:

Maybe the episode is so boring that it just seems longer, but they spend just under half of a 74 minute episode even tangentially talking about the movie. And it's just not that funny. I enjoy the Flophouse, but this just wasn't a good episode.

And again, a great episode of HDTGM. "Gross. Won't Watch."

I liked it well enough, but yeah - probably wouldn't recommend it to a friend. I like Eliot's personality, which sometimes leads to over-defending the show as a whole. Also, I've tried multiple times and just can't get into HDTGM ("IT MAKES NO SENSE!!").

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This may be rehashing old discussions, but Flophouse (like Doug Loves Movies) is probably a movie podcast in name only. They tend to do a good job of giving a synopsis of the movie, but it's telling that they (try to) knock it out at the top of the discussion. Really, you're in it to hear them riff with/off each other, ideally with some passive aggressive (or just aggressive) barbs. The last couple of weeks have been pretty good for that, if nothing else.

We Hate Movies is probably closer to an actual bad movie podcast. They also give you a good synopsis, but they tend to spend more time with the plot and roll it out over the course of the episode. The movie is more firmly the basis for jokes, rather than a launching pad for left field characters and situations.

HDTGM (at least the early episodes I listened to) is almost entirely a reaction to the movie. They invite you to watch the movie before the episode, and a lot of the humor seems to come from assuming that you've seen it. It's probably the closest to walking out of the theater with a bunch of friends, where the references are almost all pronouns ("Remember that guy with the thing? What the hell was that about?"). I don't generally have the time or inclination to watch these movies, so the show does (did) less for me. I may go back if it's evolved or generally hit its groove.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, the mask really slips on that one. Though, my god, that bit was not funny enough (i.e., at all) to go that long.

EDIT: The bit I'm thinking of wasn't actually the last straw, but he was slowly losing it in the run up.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Listening to WHM's Animation Damnation. God drat, just when you think the well of Goofy v. Pluto jokes has run dry...

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, they say their own names at the beginning of each episode, so you could try matching them up then.

It's not a crazy issue. They commented on it themselves at the beginning of the I, Frankenstein episode.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

flesh dance posted:

The main reason I could never get into the show is because every episode escalated into everyone trying to yell over each other the loudest through the headphones and directly into my brain

This is true.

Random notes: 1) Sorry, Dan, but you totally said Cuban miracle; 2) Almost lost my breath laughing at how impressed the WHM gang were by "I'm late and you're wrong" in Teen Wolf Too.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Might be Secundus.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It was hilarious, because Jupin is definitely the "Rosetta Stone" for unlocking who's who.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ror posted:

I hope so for the Zelda Rubinstein impressions alone. That's one of my favorite parts of the Good Son episode (also because it leads into the Surge/American Movie riffing).

poo poo - I started thinking about that riff and started laughing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Irish Joe posted:

Have you tried just making friends?

Oh, Irish Joe. :allears:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

GraPar posted:

Hallie Haglund episode of Flop House alert.

Too late for me :( This episode (Left Behind) got really awkward - the guys are generally not good at sensitive topics, and basically found their way into every land mine you might expect when discussing an evangelical movie featuring a "pleasant" Muslim and a literal angry dwarf.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Did I miss a prolonged bit where there was some kinda racist rant or whatever

Yes? Not really, but there were three points where someone (usually Dan) started down a joke, realized that it was veering to offensive rather than funny, and tried to pull up. The jokes themselves weren't that funny to start, and the hemming and hawing jackknifed the comedy train.

It just wasn't a very good episode, aside from the fact that I don't get why they keep bringing Halle on the show.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

SKELETON GHOST posted:

The Flophouse would be ten times better without Elliot.

Counterpoint: Elliot is the only one who gives the show any personality other than "one guy likes Full Moon video movies."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Elliot Kalan and Dan McCoy won Emmys. Kalan gave the thank you. He's a tiny tiny man.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

radlum posted:

Can someone tell me why people like the McElroys? Their FlopHouse episode wasn't bad, but it had a weird feeling, specially during the final judgment and letters part. Still, I enjoyed that one of them remembered to make a Housecat cameo

Because people think they're very funny.

http://youtu.be/3r5Q0zsO7IA
http://youtu.be/kt2NYL66BcM
http://youtu.be/ct4LMymXjZI
http://youtu.be/OgaJla-togA

Those people are right.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 11, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

BlameSpacePod posted:

Sincere words about a personal experience.

Don't sign your posts, loving noob.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Illinois Smith posted:

lol you guys THE OLD EPISODES DIDN'T SHOW UP IN MY FEED SO THEY MUST HAVE BEEN LOCKED AWAY

they mention that their older eps are available on the site all the loving time too

Look how dumb you are.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
WHM interrupted Listener Request Month for an emergency show on BvS

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

chaos rhames posted:

Which episode was this? I couldn't find it on my RSS feed.

39. My feed starts at 109.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Fezz posted:

I'm fond of Blank Check with Griffin and David. They go through a director's catalog. They choose based on a director who has a big hit early on and is given a "blank check" to do whatever they want on their follow up films. They are currently in the middle of Cameron Crowe. They've done the Wachowskis and M. Night Shyamalan as well as several one offs of comic book movies.

Be warned the first thirty episodes are deep dives into the Star Wars prequel trilogy. So you may not want to listen to them discuss each film ten times.

I'm three episodes into the Shyamalan series. It seems like a much less fun podcast than Flophouse or We Hate Movies. Surprisingly, it's the comedian (Griffin) who's much more interested in long detailed analyses of film theory, while the critic (David) wants to do a more high-level discussion of what works and what doesn't. That might change going forward (they're still talking about the "good" movies).

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 22, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
So I've now listened to the Shyamalan and Wachowski "arcs" of Blank Check. The show is a bit smarter than a straight "bad movie podcast," so might be good if you want a little more analysis in your humor.

Trigger warning: if you don't like Eliot from the FlopHouse, you will throw your player of choice across the room after 90 minutes of show co-host Griffin.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Haha, no (though that would be fascinating). This Griffin is the guy playing Arthur on the new Tick show. He's actually the more academic host, which is odd because he's the comedian opposite movie critic Dave Sims. Like Eliot, he's an earnest but overly excitable nerd who has a lot of knowledge but no sense of when it's better to not provide every single detail.

They're close friends in real life so Sims can tell him to shut the gently caress up when necessary, but it's still exhausting when he insists he needs to cover just one more thing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

adamcantsleep posted:

Anyone else get choked up during the "Rocket Crocodile Action Squad" letter in the Lazarus Effect ep of The Flop House? Elliott's mentioned friends with depression and alluded to knowing a few people who've committed or attempted suicide, but that was pretty moving.

More than that, he actually alludes to having contemplated it at some point in his life. That's not incredibly uncommon, but still rough to hear.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Does anyone remember what show/episode included the bit about Fred Schneider as Shredder? Pretty sure it was Flop House, but no guarantee it was a Turtles episode.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's a running gag in the Shyamalan series, but it doesn't continue on the show. By the most recent series though, get ready to skip ahead 2-3 minutes when they introduce Producer Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

credburn posted:

I can see this getting on someone's nerves, but WHM wins me over because...I don't know if they're good, per se, but they strike the right chord with me. I normally get annoyed with impressions.

See this most recent Tango and Cash episode, for example