Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Looking for a particular episode of We Hate Movies where they riff on Larry the Cable Guy, repeating "Hey cool!" throughout the episode. When I first recalled that bit and wanted to find it again, I assumed they had done an episode on one of his movies, but browsing the list I don't see one of those so maybe it just came up randomly. Anyone happen to know which one I'm thinking of?

e: Ah must be the Tooth Fairy 2 episode -- that is Larry the Cable guy but I was remembering the first one starring The Rock.

One thing I've noticed that I think escapes a lot of the bad movie podcasters: schmaltz actually works better than schlock. As evidence, I submit the WHMs on Invisible Child and One Magic Christmas. It's the inimitable quality of absurdity created by someone who isn't even trying, who has no idea how bizarre their work is, that you'll never get from a B horror movie.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Trawling the WHM archives I relistened to Babycakes which is another fantastic example of what I was talking about above. It's just so much more interesting when an attempt to create pablum results in utter insanity than it is when someone intentionally makes ludicrous bullshit. Like, Nicholas Cage and Uwe Boll know what they're doing but Riki Lake or Mary Steenburgen absolutely do not. I can still enjoy the former but the latter is like a glorious discovery of outsider art in bad movie podcast terms.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HDTGM and WHM are both pretty great this week. WHM especially. I regret that I can't start using "Just waiting for this Surge to get cold!" in real life without looking like a crazy man.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has anyone said Babycakes, because the answer is Babycakes.
Babycakes, Invisible Child, One Magic Christmas, Heart Condition and Addicted to Love are all great examples of screenplays that betray such a warped view of human interaction that their writers should have been immediately committed for psychiatric evaluation. That kind of movie results in my favorite WHMs.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Which WHM has the riff on "Muldoon's"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly despite listening to the entire WHM catalog, many twice, I cannot really distinguish any of the dudes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Beeez posted:

Yeah, when it's something like Gone Fishin' I think it's worth mocking, but generally one needs to be very careful about trying to mock a comedy.
Gone Fishin' is a great WHM -- I'm pretty sure I can no longer pronounce the number 11 properly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hider in the House for the best example of a movie they come to love -- another thing WHM does better than any of the others (when was the last time The Flop House actually enjoyed a movie, on any level of irony?)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I barely remember what movie the episode was about but today's Flop House Alan Ruck tangent is up there with the Titus Androgynous and Porthole of Time bits.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cat's Eye

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Great dog acting argument in today's WHM.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After a recent relisten I think "One Magic Christmas" is the densest with laughs. All three hosts are on fire there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bobservo posted:

God, I hope they do Men, Women & Children. That movie looked like a REAL piece of poo poo and something WHM could have a lot of fun with.
Agreed, "(Serious) Adam Sandler's family is torn apart by the internet in 2014" is a premise WHM could've invented themselves.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Best WHM riff is Louie Anderson, last actor on Earth, from The Day After Tomorrow.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are the Animation Damnation and other random special non-movie eps entertaining? Also did anyone ever listen to that conspiracy podcast show one of the dudes always talks about hosting that is apparently over now? How's that? I like the WHM dudes well enough.
The WHM side eps are good -- especially the Mailbags. There's some more content on their paid app (not a ton but it's like $3).

I don't think anyone here really liked Blame It on Outer Space. The premise of "WHM for conspiracies" sounds great but that was never exactly what it was. Eric seemed to be trying a few different ideas through its run and I don't know that it ever really came together. Early on it seemed not jokey enough, like it was just "oh geez, man this theory is crazy, wow, can you believe this crazy poo poo?" without ever really diving into it. Then later they started doing like kind radio play type stuff. Also he did this weird, intentionally bad Jay Leno style monologue at the top that didn't have anything to do with the topic. I think there's a great podcast in there if they'd just do it joking but with a pretty straight face, no high concept, but I guess that wasn't what he wanted it to be.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Even New York garbagemen can enjoy art cinema.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I called in Little Nicky for request month. I watched it so goddamn much as a kid. I was a dumb kid.
I'm surprised for the Sandler entry in worst of 2015 they went with Pixels over The Cobbler. Haven't seen it but that one sounds like lunacy from all the reviews.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Yeah hdtgm is definitely my least favorite bad movie cast now. Is it me or does anyone else feel like June has been playing it up for a while?
I bailed on it a few months ago after it was apparent they were desperately trying to manufacture the magic of "What is a Street Fighter?" over and over again.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The WHM episodes were always available on that page, I've been listening to old ones a lot recently; the Animation Damnations and Side Orders of Sleaze and On-Screen things are new to the web site, previously available via a real lovely app called the Podcast Box or something for a one-time $3. They mentioned a few months ago that they hadn't updated any content behind the paywall for a while because they were planning to do something like maybe a Patreon.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Despite, or maybe because of there being nothing to the movie that was there best WHM in a long time IMO.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Worth keeping this thread alive to note there's an all-time WHM moment late in this week's episode courtesy of Eric.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Especially when it's Devin Faraci, who has said way more embarrassing poo poo not as a joke.
He's the one who had a hilarious meltdown a few weeks ago where he "quit" Twitter for like eight hours before coming back cause god knows we desperately needed his opinion on what Captain America would say to Donald Trump or some poo poo?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's definitely cool if that's connecting with people but I do wish they were better at transitioning into and out of those discussions.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The best Lootcrate thing was a Hulk or Iron Man hand oven mitt that did not actually protect you from heat and burned dozens of nerds.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm not jumping off or anything but I think they would benefit from doing a We Love Movies selection soon and maybe a moratorium on the Trump impressions.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I do, even though I don't love it the way I used to in the very beginning. I don't know if it's changed or I have.
Pretty much same, I don't really think Elliot moving ruined it or anything but it hasn't been the same for a while even before that.

The one with one of those podcasting brothers that people like for some reason, like two episodes ago, unlistenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Still like the Flop House well enough but randomly clicked on an old episode, CBGB, and listening to Tom Brokaw explain Dune to Michael Caine and getting interrupted by Jimmy Stewart I'm kinda sad the podcast just isn't like this anymore.