Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I remember seeing ads for the Butterfly Effect all over the place in 2004. I had no idea it was like this. Good grief. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I enjoyed Secundus' guest appearance.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The Animation Damnation on Star Trek: TAS was really fantastic.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I really like how in this week's episode their impressions of Hollywood's idea of a New Yorker gradually shifted from hauling and eating garbage to art cinema aficionados.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Next week there will be TMNT SECRET OF THE OOZE!

I loving loved Secret of the Ooze as a kid, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it eviscerated this Tuesday.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Does anybody remember which WHM back episode introduced Muldoon's?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Speaking of babies, Invisible Child was a great choice for the first summer rerun on WHM. What an incredible movie, what an incredible episode.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

laz0rbeak posted:

"I've let you talk to my daughter, WHICH I HATE." One of my favorite eps of theirs, right up there with the new Adventures of Pippi.

My favorite bits from Invisible Child are all of the riffing on ten year old Mae Whitman's elaborate web of lies.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Infamous Sphere posted:

I wasn't so big on Pippi. I loved Mrs Doubtfire though, and Invisible Child too is a fantastic episode.

Pippi brought us the horse voice, though.

"You'll get the chair, Longstocking!"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

DoombatINC posted:

Isn't it Chris who does the "When would I kill myself in a movie" gag? That's one of my favorite runners.

I think it's Steve who does that-- but the other guys also put some thought into when Steve would kill himself in a movie.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I love how much time they spent on Paulie. In a movie with a lot of baffling poo poo, the fact they let Paulie hang around is definitely the most baffling for me. Yes, even more than the robot. Why are they letting this abusive, alcoholic baby-man freeload off them?

I really liked how they kept alternating between Paulie, drunk scumbag trash man who probably hosed that robot, and Paulie, paragon of childlike innocence who's just sad because his pet frog escaped at Apollo Creed's funeral.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

radlum posted:

The New Yorkers were pretty good, however, this rerun has left me wanting for more Wilford Brimley impressions.

There's always Hard Target and its Cajun Brimley.

"Godammnut! God... damot! Godamot."

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mojo Threepwood posted:

New WHM is up, the Substitute. So far it's a winner with the quick arrival of The Vague Drug trade and winning impressions.

They also announced the new Listener Request Month for November, so start getting those picks ready. It was kinda odd, when describing the requirements for the Listener Request movies they went on way too long about what listeners shouldn't do. Like they said not to request something they'd already done, and then continued to say that people should go to their homepage and CTRL-F to find old movies. Which would work, but seemed unnecessarily detailed. Maybe they've gotten a ridiculous amount of repeat requests and felt the need to be specific.

Every Listener Request Month they seem to get more and more insistent about not requesting movies they'd already done, so it must be getting worse and worse each time.

Anyway, in the actual episode, I'm a big fan of their idea to start saying that your friends didn't make it with no further explanation.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

bango skank posted:

A little too uptown for me, if you know what I'm sayin. You know what I'm sayin? I'm not gonna leave til you know what I'm sayin.

The point where Eric just started doing a Dracula voice was one of the funniest wandering impressions in the show.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm a big fan of Egg Begley Jr.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

When they announced that they were making history by doing a Jingle All The Way sequel starring Larry the Cable guy, I thought the WHM first would be the first time they just made up a movie because I couldn't believe that Jingle All The Way 2 actually exists.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think it's because (and this goes back to Hayes code values) having the evil person fall to their death means that the good person doesn't have the moral stain on their conscience of actually having to have killed them. (In the Hayes code, one couldn't commit a murder without punishment, meaning that many "bad-guys-killed-by-good-guys" got killed by accident, like..falling over and hitting their head or whatever else.)

And I realised that almost any movie with a nanny is prime for WHM glory. Invisible Child, Mrs Doubtfire, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, etc. Also, would "Houseguest" fit into the "family infiltrator" genre? :p I just think movies with nannies/family infiltrators end up being prime Lifetime level glory.

And while gravity wasn't the culprit, the Invisible Child ended with the death of its villain, the cruel invisible child who manipulated an innocent family to its twisted whims.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Haha, I was just coming to the thread to post about what a gift to the episode Joe the Doorman was.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Eric's whole idea for a Victorian, Alice in Wonderland-esque take on Mario is like legit super interesting.

EDIT: Also, Cpl. Mario Mario, Vietnam war criminal.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Let's not forget Cabin's secret biker friends from Easy Rider 2. :v:

"Well, I'll have to ask Rip and the boys..."

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In addition to the expertise he brought to the table, he also coined the word "Hitlergeist", which is pretty good.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

That poor mouse. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Dog acting and baby rapping.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I think we can agree that the best member of the WHM crew is hardboiled ex-screenwriter Eric Movie.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I always kind of like the episodes about movies that are just totally baffling.

I still feel like this movie's existence is way less baffling than Jingle All the Way 2's, though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I can't believe the makers of Dracula Untold didn't spring for the rights to the Ottoman Empire's name. :argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I feel like at this point, the next movie pretty much has to involve a demon, a supernatural entity cursed with immortality, begin in some vague historical period, and end in 2014.

(Come to think of it, even the Animation Damnation fits into this, since like Adam Frankenstein, Dracula, and Russo-Irish gangster/horse-whisperer Colin Farrel, the Simpsons too are cursed to still walk the earth in 2014, long after their time should have passed.)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

irishjoo posted:

The saga of Eric Movies in the latest We Hate Movies mailbag is really great. I have the app but I think they also put it on band camp.

Looks like it's just in the normal feed, too.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

And right before the worst of 2014 they did a whole bunch of comedies (or, well, "comedies")-- Look Who's Talking, Jingle All The Way 2, Three Men and a Baby, and I guess Super Mario Brothers, kind of?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I barely see any movies, but I guess I've still seen a bunch of WHM ones-- both Ewok movies, Phantom Menace, The Next Karate Kid (which was filmed at the high school I went to!), Batman Forever, Foodfight (loving... Foodfight...), Casper, Jingle All the Way, Mrs. Doubtfire, North, and TMNT II.

I saw North in the theater as a kid. I kind of think it's the reason I haven't seen many other movies later in life. :v:

Foodfight is still one of the most unbelievable things I've seen in my entire life. Everyone should have to watch it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

It think it's that Star Wars is such a big epic movie with a good length (around 2 hrs) that, if you're going to be longer than Star Wars, you better have a good god drat reason for it.

It could have been any movie just like it.

I think it originally just came up as an offhanded remark when one of them was incredulous at how long some crappy movie or another was. It's probably a good metric, though, since most people listening to WHM have probably seen Star Wars so you have a sense of what it means to be longer than Star Wars.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Don't forget the Running Man!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Between Stealth, Rocky IV and Chopping Mall I've decided I'm a big fan of WHMs where they have a movie featuring a robot.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Oh hey, phone lines are open for We Hate Movie request month.

So let me make a pitch to you guys (and not in the thread that the We Hate Movies read). After the fuss about The Interview, I thought it would be funny to arrange a group of people calling in and pretending to be a North Korean operation trying to raise the profile of NK cinema by demanding they do Pulgasari.

For the two of you who do not know it, Pulgasari is an infamous North Korean giant monster film. Kim Jong Il had his favorite South Korean director and soap star abducted and forced them to make movies for him. It's goofy, has strangely mixed political messages (wonder how that happened), but at the same time is peppy enough to not be boring. The film is available on YouTube if you want to watch it.

I think you can see why I thought it would be amusing to have a bunch of people call in on this. Four or five people calling in over the space of a few weeks and each claiming to be the "new head of the North Korean film board" would be funny. Or if there were a few "abducted tourists" who made obviously "forced" requests. And since they don't mind multiple requests, you're not losing anything if you call in a few weeks after you made your real request.

I should say that I strongly doubt that they'd pick Pulgasari for the show. Not because they'd expect bomb threats against all of their listeners from a country who doesn't know how the Internet works, but because I doubt that they'd do a subtitled film. I'm asking people to do this mainly because I think that they'd find the idea of North Korea going after them to be hilarious.

Have some images from the film so you can understand it:

This is a dumb idea and you should feel dumb for suggesting it. If you want them to pick Pulgasari, just suggest it, instead of trying to get a bunch of goons do ~*~*~*~hilarious~*~*~*~ impressions of North Korean officials or whatever to stuff the ballot box.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Didn't they mention wanting do a Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey episode in some mailbag or another?

STATION!!!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Don't worry, Africa will never let him die.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm a big fan of Shakespeare's autobiographical play, Man About Stratford.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The main problem with the app was that it kept crashing and losing my place in episodes I was listening to, so I'm glad it's gone forever now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm completely obsessed with the Bee Movie Podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

That Gamemaster story was kind of incredible???? Nineteen loving thousand dollars, holy poo poo?????