Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
In all fairness We Hate Movies made Hider in the House sound just the right side of crazy.

One of their best episodes though is Gymkata. They even end up recommending it at the end but on the whole I think their No Holds Barred episode is the one I've listened to the most.

I really wanted to like How Did This Get Made but I really wish the hosts would just calm down and stop acting like the most innocuous thing in a film is the craziest poo poo ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

SilentChaz posted:

Paul Scheer picks his favorite episodes of How Did This Get Made? for the AV Club.

Sleepaway Camp is at the top of his list and that was literally the most frustrating episode to listen to. How did they have such a difficult time understanding what the plot of the movie was and what was going on?

I also wanted to chime in with the love for We Hate Movies. I laughed 'til I cried during the Step Up: Revolution episode when they got started on Peter Gallagher wanting to be sex texted Shawn's phone number.

That 'Sleepaway Camp' section with Scheer is weird because as far as I know no-one needs to conduct elaborate theories as to what happens in that film. Once you've seen the twist the earlier scenes make sense, yet they seem to make out that it's some kind of Lynchian mindfuck. There's a lot more interesting things going on in that film than the plot machinations.

I found the 'Odd Life of Timothy Green' more interesting because they're not on the same page, and as he notes Tim Heidecker and Jason argue that actually the film is pretty good, and mocking it on face value is the wrong way to look at it (For the record I thought it was a fine, if underrated, film).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dancing Potato posted:

Gang Related, in which he plays a crooked cop partnered with Tupac, is a pretty OK movie.

He's actually really good in that movie, and puts in a good performance in Oliver Stone's Salvidor. The guy is actually a better dramatic actor than he is 'comedy' star and in another life he would've been a solid character actor.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've never seen that movie so I can't speak from any real knowledge, but just the concept of 'Jim Belushi the dramatic actor' kinda makes my head hurt and I smell toast.

I was about to say it must've been early in his career but oddly enough it was after Saturday Night Live and just a year before The Principal so I got no idea what went on there. I take back what I said, he's done a bunch of dramatic stuff that I realised I've actually seen before (Including the erotic? thriller Traces of Red) and they're almost all terrible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

God that WHM on Addicted to Love is great. I remember renting that movie but I can barely remember anything about it. God what a reprehensible movie. One thing I do remember is that Broderick and Ryan were so loving smug and self satisfied. gently caress them. gently caress that film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really think it's a shame that The Flophouse and HDTGM both get regular reviews in the AV Club on a weekly basis while WHM and others are ignored, particularly since it's not like either of those need the help. A few of the commentators mention it each week but it never gets any traction. It's worse when one (or both) of those have a lovely week and they still do a write-up.

Having said that, I wasn't so keen on the Virtuosity episode, particularly because they just seemed oddly bored by the film and just rush through it. Which is a similar experience to actually watching Virtuosity. I'm looking forward to seeing what they dig out for listener request month, and I'm pretty glad they've put a ban on what's going to be the more obvious choices.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think that Podmass might be great if it covered new things more often. Right now it's the same X amount of podcasts which really, if you're a subscriber, then chances are you've heard it before they've covered it. I've found a lot of great new things thanks to their article but it seems odd they remain insistent on covering the same stuff (Particularly when they have a section that covers 'bad' episodes that week - just don't cover them then).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah the Deep Impact episode makes sense. It's also an incredibly boring movie and as much as I love WHM there are still episodes I would say aren't very good. But when they're 'on' then it can make great listening. That Best of the Best 2 episode was really good, as Gymkata was one of their best. The recent Virtuosity episode though wasn't too good, as I mentioned before because they just seemed to want to skip over it.

On the other hand I've given HDTGM and The Flophouse another try and I'm still not that into them. It's the last chance I give HDTGM because it's just...not very funny. The Flophouse is a close second though but really wish they'd actually talk about the movie a little more instead of twenty minutes and then "Mailbag!"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah on that note, are there any podcasts which just talk about bad movies without trying to be 'funny' about it. Or would that simply not work for most people.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah that's just done a great job of making sure I don't click the link

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I've seen Jaws 3-D twice and had no idea that Dennis Quaid was playing one of the Brodies.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So on his recent AMA Paul Scheer admitted that he's friendly with Joel Hodgson and he seemed up for the idea of appearing on the show. I really hope this happens.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Only recently listened to that Ghostbusters II episode of WHM and it was so good. It's strange that film has any goodwill towards it because it's loving dreadful. It's a poor rehash of the first movie, with a bunch of poo poo that makes no sense (I totally didn't clock that everyone has seemingly changed professions for no reason). It's a classic case of "We don't have a script in shape. But it's ok, we'll just make it funny on set!". It also feels oddly mean spirited sometimes.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobservo posted:

I was born in 1982, so, like Andrew, I saw Ghostbusters II first and didn't understand why everyone thought it was so bad. But with a little perspective, I quickly realized it's a miserable, cynical, cash-in that overwrites the events of the first movie because the writers couldn't think of any better ideas.

I was born the same year and was jazzed for GB2. There were parts of it I loved when I was a kid, but ugh...it's a bad movie. And the sidelining of Ernie Hudson is a little weird. I'm not calling anyone racist, but still...they take their token black character and toss him to one side and then replace him with a white guy...gross.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

My feeling with the Butterfly Effect is that is was an attempt to be "shocking" and "dark", but like most attempts to do that without considering the balance of the film it looped around to "laughably stupid". I hadn't considered the "jumped up student film" aspect that WHM played up but it really does fit. You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

I don't hate that movie and I actually thought a lot of the darkness was tongue in cheek, which maybe makes it worse (It came from the writers of Final Destination 2, which was gleeful in the ways it offed people - and the commentary seems to back this up). But I will say that the alternate ending belongs to the movie it came from. It's consistent. The theatrical one comes out of nowhere. It's been so long since I've seen it that I might hate it now, but I remember just shrugging it off after it was over.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's probably their most controversial choice since there's a lot of people who genuinely like that movie. I'm so-so on it so I didn't mind it all that much.

I do think they were spot on with their comparism of this and Galaxy Quest though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The best part of WHM's Mystery Men podcast was immediately establishing the running joke of Tim Burton being the director and sticking to it.

Overall I like Mystery Men and while I agree that Harry Shearer and Paul Reubens were painful, I loved Greg Kinnear and William H. Macy for their deadpan attitudes. Especially when Kinnear made no attempt to find out what happened to his super-enemies, and Macy being the only team member with his personal life close to being in order.

Also did anyone else think it was odd that WHM gave Janeane Garofalo a total pass? Ben Stiller seemed to care more about his role than she did, and she had no decent jokes. Stiller at least was funny when he was futilely trying to convince the team about Captain Amazing's secret identity.

I think that yes, while both actors have done the same schtick a lot, she gets a pass because it's way less grating than I'M BEN STILLER AND I'M GETTING SO ANGRY. And it kind of works in that movie, but she otherwise drags anything she's in down with her 'I'm so over this' act.

That Tim Burton thing is suprisingly quite common. Since the release of the movie there was rumours about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Spielberg/Poltergeist thing and he was basically the one calling the shots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

To be fair though, usually when they say "If it's me I'm doing x" then it's usually leading to a joke. But they have sincerely recommended a bunch of movies. Hard Target, Hider in the House, I think Buried Alive as well. I'm sure there's a lot more. I think that Hider in the House was quite endearing because they came around to it by the end and legitimately just enjoyed it.

Same with Gymkata, which is a great episode.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it was Hamburger: The Motion Picture

It is. He's basically kidnapped and kept as a slave for the whole thing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just re-listened to the Prey for Death episode of WHM. I like they state almost right at the start that they love that movie. It's straight up 'This movie is awesome'. Also, I wish they would actually drop samples into the episodes again. Sometimes they'll talk about a funny line delivery or something and not drop it in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Duke posted:

Sabotage really is a miserable piece of poo poo

It's miserable and sleazy and a lot of fun because of it. I'm under no impression that it's a conventionally 'good' film, but it seems to aim for a particular tone and does it well.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ochowie posted:

Am I the only one that is getting bored with WHM's movie selection? Would it kill them to do a comedy or a non-paranormal action movie?

I'm usually so-so on the comedies, because they have to be really bad to make them work. And I mean really dreadful and misguided like HOTS or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Duke posted:

At this point its my most listened to episode for sure. I think it's the best and funniest episode they've done overall (though I'm a huge fan of the Addicted to Love episode too).

Mine is actually Gymkata. It's hilarious, and it helps that they all basically love the movie.