Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«29 »
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

A Photorealistic Baby

Asura's Wrath is an action game developed as a collaboration between CyberConnect2 (creators of the .hack franchise, Tail Concerto/Solatorobo, and a metric ton of Naruto games) and Capcom (do I really need to mention the games Capcom has done?). It was released in North America on February 21st and Europe on the 24th of the same month for PS3 and Xbox360. It is a game that combines elements from Hindu mythology and science fiction to make one crazy-rear end designed game about giant spaceships with faces, giant Buddhas with chainguns and one really angry demigod that just wants to punch the poo poo out of everything.

How do I begin to explain this game? Well, to start off, a lot of people won't call it a game. It's a bit hard of a criticism, but in all honesty they have a point.
You see, the game's main form of story progression is through cutscenes. Now you might say "well, don't a lot of games do that nowadays?" The problem is not that the game has cutscenes, but rather that the game IS cutscenes. The ratio of gameplay to cutscenes with QTEs is way far weighted in the cutscenes' favor, but don't count the game out as a painful slog yet. If you like fast paced action like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, 3rd-person rail shooters like Panzer Dragoon or Sin & Punishment, or really like over-the-top batshit crazy anime fights then you might want to sit down and give this game a look.

The game plays out in episodes, and is intended to be like an interactive TV series, broken up into three chapters of six episodes and keeps to this format incredibly well. You'll see what I mean, but this really was intended to be experienced as something you watch more than play.

You play as Asura, one of the Eight Guardian Generals: eight demigod warriors who fight to protect Heaven and Earth from the Gohma - a mysterious, evil and destructive force within the earth itself that threatens to annihilate all its inhabitants. The Guardian Generals are supported by a powerful priestess, who redirects the prayers of those on the Earth to give them and their armies strength to fight this great evil.

All is not as straightforward as it would seem however, as the Gohma's powerful leader Vlitra continues to revive itself after every war over thousands of years, becoming even stronger with every return. The Generals long wish to be able to defeat Vlitra for good, willing to stop at nothing to do so. What will this need to stop an endless war drive them to do?

All will soon be revealed.

This will be presented as a dual-commentary video LP, but the two versions are going to be a little different to the normal dual-comm LP.

The first track side of the episode (we'll call it Side A) is going to be me solo, only talking at the beginning and end of the episode, and when there are non-cutscene gameplay segments. This side is intended for those who have not played the game yet or people who just want to watch the game and let it explain itself, which it does quite well.

The second track, Side B, will be a group commentary track watching the video, possibly for their first time, and you'll get to hear their reactions or (inevitably) snide remarks riffing how goofy the game is. More likely than not I'll have 2 or 3 people doing the commentary, I will not be one of them. You'll see how this works soon enough.

The game will be played on the PS3 version with the difficulty setting at Normal. This way I get to show off the combat system and show off the mechanics without it taking forever to kill a damned turtle. I will be going for A rank or better on every episode.

- Thread Participation -

As the game advertises, this game takes a lot of elements from Hindu mythology in designing its people and places. I'm not all too well versed on the subject, but I'll point out what I can. What I'd love to see the thread attempt is give us any interesting insight into the mythological references and themes used throughout the game. I don't know if it's a steep request, but it sure would be swell.
At the end of each episode there is a illustrative interlude drawn by many famous manga artists. I know there are a lot of you out there that know a great deal about this subject and if you have anything to add regarding that as we see each piece, feel free to share your knowledge!

Another element I'll leave to your discussion is the choice of what gauge I should use for each episode. If you don't know what this means (because you haven't played the game before or you legitimately didn't know about it) I'll detail them in the second post. We will not be using the unlock gauges because they defeat the purpose of showing each episode in its entirety. That'll take effect for Episode 3 onwards.

Note: At some points in certain episodes viewers may experience tearing. This tearing or vertical syncing anomalies are a result of the game itself, not the console it's played on, the capture device or your monitor. This tearing is not prevalent in most episodes so please try to bear with it rather than complain, in all likelihood we'll just make fun of you for not reading this.
All videos are currently being hosted on YouTube. I have no access to a second host with HD support that doesn't require a subscription service or something equally stupid, so we'll just have to put up with that for now. To better ignore the clunky YouTube interface, all videos have been pre-linked in Polsy's YT player for a more comfortable viewing experience.

Complete Box Set Playlists! Side A Side B

toddy. fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2014 around 04:43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

A Photorealistic Baby

Cool stuff made by cool people.

Asura's adventures continue in a edit intensive JFG update. (go watch that thread, do it now!)

Kerrrrrrr finds the face of Vlitra.

Mush Man thinks Asura has no time for coffee. He has a space to save. Mush Man LP the space.

Mico captures a brilliant moment so I don't have to.

HotAndColdAF Stage 25m, R2 to hammer.

Mico didn't choose the Augus life.

Even cooler stuff on Hindu and Buddhist stuff!

gschmidl provides some cool stuff on Vritra and Asuras.
Smornstein has more on Asuras
The Septentrion (Seedy Wizard)
More on the Septentrion (Seedy Wizard)
Name origins of Durga and Mithra (DreamingofRoses)

PennyArcade made a really cool little comic to go with the press release of Asura's Wrath. Fortunately someone from Siliconera scanned it up so everyone can read it!

toddy. fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2014 around 11:15

Mico
Jan 28, 2011

I call it Meowthstep.

I intend to learn.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Oh, this is going to be glorious.

Incidentally, toddy, do you plan on playing through the DLC episodes?

Robotfisherman
Oct 9, 2012

TEEHEEHEE

Can't wait! I beat this game recently, and I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite games from last year.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

oh my god what the gently caress is going on

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

This is a wonderful game.

At least, to watch. So I suppose this is a wonderful TV show.

Either way, definitely watching this!

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

I couldn't get into this, but I really tried, as I love the character designs. Here's hoping the plot becomes entertaining

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

no get out of here trix rabbit

This was a game that I was planning on picking up when I had a working PS3 so I'll be watching this to see if the game is as insane as I've heard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what even the heck

1stGear posted:

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to video games. It is a dimension as vast as a man's pecs and insubstantial as his shirt. It is the middle ground between monologues and hair gel, between the authoritative shout and the incoherent roar, and it lies between hell, where the Devil is punched in the face, and heaven, where God is also punched in the face. This is the dimension of explosions and testosterone. It is an area which we call...the Anime Zone.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.

One the next episode, Asura and friends work out how to fix the gigantic hole left in the earth. Spoiler: They end up saying gently caress it and moving to Mars because the planet demon there throws wild slumber parties.

Dr. Snark posted:

Yes, he will.

1stGear posted:

tl;dr Giant space buddhas firing laser crotch cannons from under their skirts ITT.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

You want Hindu and Buddhist information yeah sure I'll see what i can dig up i know some of Hinduism was taken and brought into Buddhism but I'll do some research and make a few posts.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

One nitpick that I have about this opening is that the music that plays during it has a vocal version...but they didn't put it in for the English version for some baffling reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trust us, we're highly trained medical professionals bears.

Yesssssss! Let's Play , the game!

I feel like I like this game way more than it deserves. It's a quicktime explosion sandwiched between some mediocre shooting and brawling with a somewhat nonsensical plot carried on the backs of almost entirely one-dimensional characters. And yet, at the same time, those are some drat fine quicktime events, it's very pretty, the music's good to great, and I still find the characters endearing. I particularly love Asura - he spends most of the game basically being a more powerful and less psychotic version of Caim from Drakengard.

I will be following the gently caress out of this.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

A Photorealistic Baby

Dr. Snark posted:

Oh, this is going to be glorious.

Absolutely, it wouldn't be an LP without them!

1stGear posted:

Mostly a lot of space whooshing.

Digital Jello posted:

Here's hoping the plot becomes entertaining

Give it til next episode, then the game will start getting the foreseen plot you speak of, I promise!

Dr. Snark posted:

One nitpick that I have about this opening is that the music that plays during it has a vocal version...but they didn't put it in for the English version for some baffling reason.

Given how bad the English audio was mixed, it's probably for the best that we didn't get the vocal version as it probably would have drowned out the voice-acting even further.

I still like the ethnic version that plays during the epilogue segments more for some reason, but I guess that's more subjective than anything else.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl

For good guys, the generals are conceited dicks.

I've always wanted to see this game. It's turning out to be the wonderful piece of media treasure I hoped it would be.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

That demon is so impure, it's pure impurity.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

"Charge."
- Great Guard Cavalry Captain

I remember seeing ads for this a while back and it looked really fun. Never did get it but I'm happy that its getting lped so I can see what I'm missing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trust us, we're highly trained medical professionals bears.

Brainamp posted:

I remember seeing ads for this a while back and it looked really fun. Never did get it but I'm happy that its getting lped so I can see what I'm missing.

I can see it as being an absolutely love it or hate it sort of game. The brawling and shooting itself is okay at its very best - the vast majority of the game is spent pulling off rediculous QTEs and watching crazy poo poo go down. I had a blast with it, but I'm sure a lot of people would hate it.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

I somewhat doubt it's still there but if you don't want spoilers do not play the demo it has spoilers.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

I found asura's wrath to be some kind of weird, streamlined for mass appeal action game, where combos and enemy types aren't a real issue, but a ton of fun. Glad to see it getting LP'd!

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Oh, is this that Buttlord GT fan-game? Do you get to play as Mr. Huge, or just Buttlord?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Wow. I am literally in awe. I have never before witnessed such a thing as this game before now. I am speechless.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

Villain tip: Next time kill
someone I actually like.

This is one of those games that really lends itself to an LP. It's episodic with episode previews and episode synopses. It is visually interesting and HOLYSHITSTUFFHAPPENS. It's one of those games that you should definetly check out, even if it's not one of the most interesting games to play.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Dr. Snark posted:

It's there if you change the audio language to Japanese.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

QTEs are probably one of the most egregious ideas of modern game design. This game doesn't really have a solid base that would excuse the over reliance on QTEs, it's essentially sticking a more competent version of Heavy Rain to the end of an incompetent version of God of War.

Like a masterwork painting, it's pretty to look at but once you take it off the wall and start throwing it around people look at you disapprovingly and ask you to leave if your not just going to look at the paintings. The point I'm trying to get at is that it's not a very good GAME.

Orgia Carnaval
Oct 22, 2010

Blue Ghost posted:

QTEs are probably one of the most egregious ideas of modern game design. This game doesn't really have a solid base that would excuse the over reliance on QTEs, it's essentially sticking a more competent version of Heavy Rain to the end of an incompetent version of God of War.

Like a masterwork painting, it's pretty to look at but once you take it off the wall and start throwing it around people look at you disapprovingly and ask you to leave if your not just going to look at the paintings. The point I'm trying to get at is that it's not a very good GAME.

It's not, but it's actually got one of the best video game stories in a good long time while being as aggressively ANIME AS gently caress. The game has great presentation, production values, voice acting and the QTEs used very well in the context of the story, but yes it suffers from the greatest problem with most games that have legit good stories, IT'S AN AWFUL VIDEO GAME. The game's boring as gently caress to play and even more so with it's giant gimmicks.

I won't describe in the ways it's both good and bad, but you'll see, OH YOU'LL ALL SEE how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

The Side B video is the perfect idea for this LP. Asura's Wrath is best enjoyed with one or more friends sitting beside you while everyone relentlessly and viciously makes fun of it.

Ovues
Mar 30, 2010

You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Cheeeep-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep-cheeEEeeEEeep.

This game really is one that, like Amnesia, is best experienced in a group. I remember when the demo came out, there were 5 or 6 of us at a friends house when he loaded up the demo and basically said "this is the craziest thing you'll ever see". We were just stunned. There were around 7 or 8 points where he said "and it gets even crazier" and we were like "HOW???" and it somehow managed to get crazier.

And then I bought it to review it, beat it in a day, hated the actual combat but loved the presentation, and took it back. I seriously could not get the actual combat down (what 30 minutes of it there is).

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Apparently, Liam O'brien (voice actor for the main character) mentioned he's got a throat injury after he's finished recording for this game from all the screaming we'll be hearing, so that's pretty much the perfect thread title.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

"Hold on, hold on, I wanna get some backflips outta my system!"

Toddy, when you told me that you were planning an LP where you get really angry and punched everything I thought you meant Harvest Moon. But no. Finally an LP I can go to to vent out my anger when reading the sandcastle.

Orgia Carnaval
Oct 22, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

Apparently, Liam O'brien (voice actor for the main character) mentioned he's got a throat injury after he's finished recording for this game from all the screaming we'll be hearing, so that's pretty much the perfect thread title.

This is surprising to me given Liam O' Brien has done "loving Batshit Crazy dude who yells a lot" several times before, then again he's the main character this time rather than the villain, so there's quite a difference here.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

This game has the best ending.

Really if you're watching this for the first time stick it out to the very end.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

A Photorealistic Baby

Fudge Handsome posted:

The Side B video is the perfect idea for this LP. Asura's Wrath is best enjoyed with one or more friends sitting beside you while everyone relentlessly and viciously makes fun of it.

I'm glad people like it. I felt that just getting some people together who haven't seen the game before and just have them riff on it without me making comments would be a bit more genuine in terms of their reactions. Hopefully I can keep that method up.

Heatwizard
Nov 5, 2009

21 minute video, 2 minutes of gameplay. This is more of a Mystery Science Theater than it is an LP.

I heard of this back when it came out but completely ignored it. That it's formatted like a TV show is...interesting.

Fish Fry Andy
Aug 4, 2010

I like to think that the people who made Asura's Wrath really just wanted to make the world's most ridiculous anime. They may or may not have achieved that goal.

Mico
Jan 28, 2011

I call it Meowthstep.

Honestly when toddy floated the idea of guest commentary without him it sounded completely insane but over time I grew to love the idea, as one learns to love a small dog, or perhaps a bird.

Then we slammed down some rad commentary.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

Giggily posted:

I like to think that the people who made Asura's Wrath really just wanted to make the world's most ridiculous anime. They may or may not have achieved that goal.

They really should have just made Garzey's Wing a game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!

Yes, I've been waiting for this! This is the ideal game to watch rather than play. Thank you for your valuable service, toddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

it's the journey
not the destination
as we know

God I love this game. It should not in any way work, and yet it does so gloriously.

«29 »