Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I just got back to my college today. I didn't go last semester. Met up with some old friends then smoked some pot and one of then was kind of drunk and started to belittle my race. Keep in mind he just came out of the closet (making you think he would be tolerant). He told how he just pledged a fraternity and was told by the members to tell a hosed up story. He turns to me and says "this is the story I told them. I turned to them (fraternity members) and said "are you all comfortable with the hard "R" pronounced when saying the word friend of the family?"" And then proceeds to tell a fictional story about his first time loving a black and at the end of it he says "And that was the first friend of the family I hosed." Keep in mind there are five of us and he is directing it all towards me. I turn to him and say "dude, you're a loving psychopath." He then says, "come on, (OP). you know I love black people. I would have freed the slaves if I was lincoln" in a very condescending tone. He then continues to make testy racial remarks towards me. I just kept saying "yo, stop trying to get everyone's attention by getting under my skin." It just was just a bad situation. I just didn't want him to get the best of me so I tried to keep my cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Are you on school grounds? Report that poo poo as harassment.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

e: Do that too ^^^

...and that's what happens when hate crime legislation doesn't exist. Thank a bunch of old white slave owning dudes who wrote a nice long piece of paper for giving a bunch of idiots a platform to continue to oppress minorities from.

Oh and the fact that he's gay isn't relevant unless you can prove to me there's some correlation between loving dudes and being a racist.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raxmus posted:

e: Do that too ^^^

...and that's what happens when hate crime legislation doesn't exist. Thank a bunch of old white slave owning dudes who wrote a nice long piece of paper for giving a bunch of idiots a platform to continue to oppress minorities from.

Oh and the fact that he's gay isn't relevant unless you can prove to me there's some correlation between loving dudes and being a racist.

I brought it up in the sense that I thought he would be more open and accepting of others.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oral Slither posted:

Yup, I was on school grounds.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AugustineTheGreat posted:

I brought it up in the sense that I thought he would be more open and accepting of others.

Nah sorry we can be huge assholes too just like everyone else in the known universe. Not trying to be a dick about it just saying. He was clearly in the wrong there no questions about it. Good on you for being the better person and not slapping his poo poo though I'd be tempted even though I'm a scrawny rear end nerd and I would probably get my poo poo slapped for attempting to slap some poo poo.

e: Report that poo poo and hope and pray your campus gives enough of a poo poo to actually do something. The best would be to document the next time it happens and put it up on youtube or something. Then he might get a little more attention for it but that's your choice. I feel bad that the other people didn't stick up for you, that's the worst.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raxmus posted:

Nah sorry we can be huge assholes too just like everyone else in the known universe. Not trying to be a dick about it just saying. He was clearly in the wrong there no questions about it. Good on you for being the better person and not slapping his poo poo though I'd be tempted even though I'm a scrawny rear end nerd and I would probably get my poo poo slapped for attempting to slap some poo poo.

He was much smaller than me. I was just trying to keep my cool because I had already been involved in a physical altercation on new years eve.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Why didn't just hit him? It's not uncalled for in a situation like that. Plus you were both drunk which means no one can charge assault.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jizznastics posted:

Why didn't just hit him? It's not uncalled for in a situation like that. Plus you were both drunk which means no one can charge assault.

I was not drunk.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Even better, Trust me asserting yourself physically is the quickest and most painless way of stopping that kind of bullshit in its tracks.

Not trying to sound tough, its just what I've learn from through experiences.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oral Slither posted:

Do you really think it's worth reporting it? I don't want to be stigmatized by my peers for being a snitch. What good will come out of reporting it.

Covered In Bees
Aug 22, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Remind him that the African American vote passed Prop 8 in California.

Sperg Some More
Nov 11, 2012

Don't ever call psychopaths a psychopath, they love the sound of that word and would brag to others about being called a psychopath. Same goes for sociopath, arrogant, insane, etc.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Jizznastics posted:

Even better, Trust me asserting yourself physically is the quickest and most painless way of stopping that kind of bullshit in its tracks.

Not trying to sound tough, its just what I've learn from through experiences.

Yeah, he's right OP. The best solution to bigotry is violence.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Do you really think it's worth reporting it? I don't want to be stigmatized by my peers for being a snitch. What good will come out of reporting it.

If enough people report him for doing racist bullshit over and over I'm guessing he'll face disciplinary actions. Also I edited my post earlier but recording him doing this BS and posting it on youtube might be a smart idea. Not sure what rules your campus has about recording people though. Honestly I don't blame you if you don't want to report it though it can be more trouble than it's worth because people are dicks about that kind of stuff occasionally. In the end it's up to you and what you feel is best for your situation.

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, he's right OP. The best solution to bigotry is violence.

When there's no laws protecting you yeah sometimes you have to take action but I'm not going to pretend like I know at what point that's supposed to be.

e: Since some posters are blowing that sentence out of proportion: That last sentence does not apply to this specific situation. It more refers to say... The Arab Spring. It was more or less a side comment that wasn't particularly relevant to this thread but felt it was necessary to mention because sometimes violence is the only solution to bigotry or oppression. Definitely not in this situation.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Covered In Bees posted:

Remind him that the African American vote passed Prop 8 in California.

Funny enough, he is from California. Also, I don't even want to get into an argument of whose race did what. That's stupid and pathetic.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think it's worth it. But that doesn't matter. Do you think it's worth it? Also, if your friends call you a "snitch" because you reported someone for being a racist rear end in a top hat, they are lovely friends.

Raxmus posted:

When there's no laws protecting you yeah sometimes you have to take action but I'm not going to pretend like I know at what point that's supposed to be.

This is pretty much the kind of thing I expect from you.

edit: Holy poo poo, how did I miss this:

Raxmus posted:

Also I edited my post earlier but recording him doing this BS and posting it on youtube might be a smart idea.

This is a terrible idea. Are you loving high? I really wish you'd stop posting in e/n because this is a place people come for advice and every time you attempt that what ever you come up with is completely idiotic in every way.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Yea, If it bothers you so much that you and is even not your friend, I'd would go to report him for harasment, but If you want to still salvaged your friend ship, then honestly, let him know you weren't cool with it, And if he still doesn't stop. Just clock him once in the nose. If that don't work then yea snitch on that dude, no one would blame you then.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

CPL593H posted:

I think it's worth it. But that doesn't matter. Do you think it's worth it? Also, if your friends call you a "snitch" because you reported someone for being a racist rear end in a top hat, they are lovely friends.

Anyone who snitching, he gonna get GOT.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CPL593H posted:

This is pretty much the kind of thing I expect from you.

If you want to discuss it that's fine but I'm not going to get into a personal argument about it. Sorry to be a little bit obsessive about it but I'm just saying that sometimes people don't have much other option. In this case it isn't an option at all. Maybe it wasn't necessary to point out in the context of your post. If it wasn't then my bad.

CPL593H posted:

This is a terrible idea. Are you loving high? I really wish you'd stop posting in e/n because this is a place people come for advice and every time you attempt that what ever you come up with is completely idiotic in every way.

Could you please explain why? If people are being racist why do they deserve to not be recorded if they're doing it in a public space? How would that not help things? I would genuinely think that would assist people's awareness and get someone to actually think about their actions. Documenting and providing proof of real world discrimination is only assisting making sure people are aware it still happens.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Yes. Do you really want to be friends with people who side with a racist? He'll learn to stop doing that poo poo, his dumbass could possibly be expelled, you'll be making your school a little bit nicer, etc.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Honestly, on the Legal side of things, Hit someone once while one of you is drunk doesn't have any base for assault charges, plus who do you think your friends will testify for if it came down to that. The smug little rear end who said friend of the family then cried to the police when he got snuffed, or the guy who decided to shut said smug fucker up.

I don't think Unreasonable that you don't feel comfortable reporting this kid, but at the same time, he needs to know that his remarks is unacceptable. Talk to him when hes sober, and if he ever starts it up again, Clock him. I promise there would be no legal ramifications.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nathilus posted:

It's somewhat relevant, given that you'd expect a little more understanding from another oppressed minority. enjoyable human being can be just as hateful and threatening a word as friend of the family, after all.

The OP said Mr. Jerk has recently come out. That makes the situation make a lot more sense. If he had enjoyed more time being discriminated against, being racist would likely make him sick to his stomach. That kind of fear and frustration gets internalized quickly. Instead, he is just beginning to realize the level of prejudice he's going to experience. Might not even recognize it consciously yet, but he's already dealing with it by dumping on someone of perceived lower social status. That's not surprising, it's a hallmark of pretty much every social system, human or otherwise.

The way I see it, you have two options for dealing with the situation. Three if you count simply disconnecting, but racism is serious enough that I'd have moral qualms about not confronting it where I see it. Basically, The Martin Luther King Jr. or the Malcolm X. Whether you use kindness or not putting up with that BS to get through to him, you need to make him confront and understand what he's doing wrong. I don't know which one is more effective. I think in this case history shows us both the olive branch and the sword were necessary for meaningful change at the societal level, but paradoxically getting someone to acknowledge their own bigotry can be a much more complex task.

The bit about "perceived lower social status" I can understand. I've known about it for quite some time but I would have never expected the other party to be so intense about it.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jizznastics posted:

Honestly, on the Legal side of things, Hit someone once while one of you is drunk doesn't have any base for assault charges, plus who do you think your friends will testify for if it came down to that. The smug little rear end who said friend of the family then cried to the police when he got snuffed, or the guy who decided to shut said smug fucker up.

Don't know why you're trolling this thread but knowing the US justice system and the current incarceration statistics AugustineTheGreat wouldn't have a very good chance. Also violence isn't going to solve much in this case, it may even reinforce the other person's deluded ideas.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Raxmus posted:

If you want to discuss it that's fine but I'm not going to get into a personal argument about it. Sorry to be a little bit obsessive about it but I'm just saying that sometimes people don't have much other option. I guess in that case it isn't the best option but it's the only option available. Maybe it wasn't necessary to point out in the context of your post. If it wasn't then my bad.

Could you please explain why? If people are being racist why do they deserve to not be recorded if they're doing it in a public space? How would that not help things? I would genuinely think that would assist people's awareness and get someone to actually think about their actions.

First off I think that violence is never the solution to any problem. Secondly, if you have a problem with someone being racist towards you beating that person up is only going to strengthen the prejudice they have because they have a warped mind. They're not going to see it as getting hit for saying something stupid. They're going to see it as a black guy hitting them for no reason because that's what black guys do.

As for recording people. If they are acting like an rear end in a top hat, acting like a teenager and putting up youtube videos isn't going to solve the problem. It's just going to make them resent you. It's just not constructive and not how adults act. The OP needs to go to whoever it is to report this poo poo to and who ever you report it to instead of dealing with it in a juvenile way like fighting them or telling all his friends on Facebook.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CPL593H posted:

First off I think that violence is never the solution to any problem. Secondly, if you have a problem with someone being racist towards you beating that person up is only going to strengthen the prejudice they have because they have a warped mind. They're not going to see it as getting hit for saying something stupid. They're going to see it as a black guy hitting them for no reason because that's what black guys do.

As for recording people. If they are acting like an rear end in a top hat, acting like a teenager and putting up youtube videos isn't going to solve the problem. It's just going to make them resent you. It's just not constructive and not how adults act. The OP needs to go to whoever it is to report this poo poo to and who ever you report it to instead of dealing with it in a juvenile way like fighting them or telling all his friends on Facebook.

Agreed on the first point. My remark wasn't really relevant to the context of this specific situation.

On the second one "acting like an adult" can be used as a dogwhistle for ""normal" white behavior". I'm not sure if AugustineTheGreat should care if some racist rear end in a top hat resents them and I'd say it would give them an increased chance to reflect on their behavior and apologize. Documenting racism with public access to documentation is now juvenile? I don't agree with that at all and I think you'll need a stronger argument than "it's childish". Reporting it probably won't do much, you and I both know that and the campus can't be trusted in providing proper support. I'd say report it and if nothing happens keep documenting it with proof and then submit that. If nothing happens then move it to a more public sphere. That's what I'd do but in the end it's AugustineTheGreat's choice and I agree with you they should do what they feel is right.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Raxmus posted:

Agreed on the first point. My remark wasn't really relevant to the context of this specific situation.

On the second one "acting like an adult" can be used as a dogwhistle for ""normal" white behavior". I'm not sure if AugustineTheGreat should care if some racist rear end in a top hat resents them and I'd say it would give them an increased chance to reflect on their behavior and apologize. Documenting racism with public access to documentation is now juvenile? I don't agree with that at all and I think you'll need a stronger argument than "it's childish". Reporting it probably won't do much, you and I both know that and the campus can't be trusted in providing proper support. I'd say report it and if nothing happens keep documenting it with proof and then submit that. If nothing happens then move it to a more public sphere. That's what I'd do but in the end it's AugustineTheGreat's choice and I agree with you they should do what they feel is right.

I'm saying that it isn't going to solve the problem. It'll just make it worse. He needs to go through proper channels and deal with this. You are such a loving clown.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CPL593H posted:

I'm saying that it isn't going to solve the problem. It'll just make it worse. He needs to go through proper channels and deal with this. You are such a loving clown.

Well that's fine but I'm still saying if the proper channels are unwilling to handle it properly it's a good idea to document future incidences and be ready to release them publicly. Do you have any experiences you'd like to share or some more concrete logic as to why it's a bad idea? I'm open to criticism but I feel I'm being attacked on a more personal level than a constructive one. It's not like I'm unwilling to reason with other people.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Raxmus posted:

Don't know why you're trolling this thread but knowing the US justice system and the current incarceration statistics AugustineTheGreat wouldn't have a very good chance. Also violence isn't going to solve much in this case, it may even reinforce the other person's deluded ideas.

I most certainly are not trolling.

How many Drunk fist fights have you seen in your lifetime that have beeen criminally charged, without serious injury happening.

I'm not saying he should get a group together and beat him with in inchs of his life, but From my expereince being physically assertive towards an abuser is a solution. I don't think the kid is actaully "racist", however he is an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and probably is to ignorant to realize that what he says is hurt full and offensive. Reporting him for harassment could get him kicked out of school, I sympathize with the OP for using this as a last resort.

Also, I'd be fine with discussing this like a mature adult, but If you feel you need to throw around troll accusations to validate your points against mine then it just shows me and everyone else here you don't posses the maturity level to engage in a disagreement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Raxmus posted:

Well that's fine but I'm still saying if the proper channels are unwilling to handle it properly it's a good idea to document future incidences and be ready to release them publicly. Do you have any experiences you'd like to share or some more concrete logic as to why it's a bad idea? I'm open to criticism but I feel I'm being attacked on a more personal level than a constructive one. It's not like I'm unwilling to reason with other people.

It's a bad idea because it's a stupid thing to do. It does not solve the problem and could potentially bring the situation to a boiling point. If the powers that be ignore this for some reason, then the OP needs to take the high road and tell this guy to gently caress off. The fact that you equated acting like an adult to a racist statement says all there is about why I'd attack you personally.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This guy is a racist freak but I also think he wants to gently caress you while wearing a lincoln costume. Avoid him.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CPL593H posted:

How do you know that?

One example off the top of my head is Steubenville, Ohio.

CPL593H posted:

The fact that you equated acting like an adult to a racist statement says all there is about why I'd attack you personally.

It seems like an arbitrary classification tied to a person's arbitrary opinions on what set of behaviors governs a person's "maturity" levels.

CPL593H posted:

The fact that you equated acting like an adult to a racist statement says all there is about why I'd attack you personally.

Many white people say casually racist things all day. Considering most people in the US are raised in a society that is inundated with casual racism I'm surprised how every white person couldn't be a racist. We don't live in some progressive utopia where people are immune to institutionalized and less than conscious racism. The constitution actively serves to oppress minorities so I'm not sure what you're getting at here? I'm not calling you an intentional bigot I just find it very hard to believe that you are immune to the idea that normalcy and maturity is often equated to an extremely white constructed culture. I'm certainly not immune to it and I don't try to claim I am. Do you think rap and hiphop are juvenile too?

Would you call this juvenile? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtqb3T5CHE

VVV I think you're referencing the wrong poster. I agreed with CPL593H in the idea that in this specific situation it was definitely a bad idea to use violence and even praised the OP for handling it in a non-violent way when the thought would have certainly entered my mind. An example of a situation I was referring to would be when someone was in progress of being the victim of a hate crime and needed to defend themselves. Could you please read the entire conversation before attacking a poster? Thank you. VVV

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Tasted Too Much Rainbow!!!

((Edited because I don't know what the ^^^^ arrows mean, apparently; I assumed it was just a generalized 'to people up above me' gesture- not directly pointing to the guy above me. Whoever the ugly pony guy is then, you're wrong and violence doesn't solve that, and sorry about the misunderstanding mr. dancing bunny guy. Awkward internet lesson learned! ))

I would go ahead and report them, op. Or at least sit down and have a talk with someone in a higher position than you are. Just be friendly about it, and indirect at first if you wished. You know, like "If I were to tell you that I was racially harassed in some way, what repercussions would the other party face? Could I remain anonymous? What will happen exactly? etc etc...". It never hurts to ask, and if you mention no names they can't force you to out the other party. So if you feel the reaction too harsh, you can escape without getting anyone into anything.

Captain Drumline
Jan 28, 2007
I'M CAPTAIN DRUMLINE, THE ROCK AND ROLL CLOWN!

I DO COCAINE!

Hey OP, I'm sorry that your thread is being bombarded by terrible advice. You seem intelligent enough though, so I trust that you won't take it. Just to be sure to refute some posters here though, replying to racist comments with violence is a bad idea not just because it can reinforce said racism, but because such violence could initiate a fight that could put you in severe physical danger. Violence is generally to be avoided for that reason; fights don't work out nice and clean like they do in the movies. People can get really badly hurt.

All that aside, hopefully you can sort this out. Are your friends supportive of you in this? It could be good to talk to them about it if it bothers you a lot.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Freakbox posted:

^^^ You know, hitting people shuts them up because they're in pain, right? Not because you taught them a lesson. The only time I ever used physical force was to escape from a kidnapping attempt- not because someone verbally made me feel bad. That seems like a good way to turn a fender bender into a three-lane pileup.

I would go ahead and report them, op. Or at least sit down and have a talk with someone in a higher position than you are. Just be friendly about it, and indirect at first if you wished. You know, like "If I were to tell you that I was racially harassed in some way, what repercussions would the other party face? Could I remain anonymous? What will happen exactly? etc etc...". It never hurts to ask.

Mabye I shouldn't have been so blunt with my wording, All in all, you need to be assertive with an abuser, phyiscal or not. If you can be an adult about it and talk it through, thats the best course of action. But I've never seen a more effective anti-bullying method then a Bloody nose. Yes the pain and humilation etc does keep them quiet at first, but they will also gain a respect for you which was prevoisly lacking, which will allow them see were your coming from easier. Either way, more often then not they leave you the gently caress alone which is the only real important part.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jizznastics posted:

Mabye I shouldn't have been so blunt with my wording, All in all, you need to be assertive with an abuser, phyiscal or not. If you can be an adult about it and talk it through, thats the best course of action. But I've never seen a more effective anti-bullying method then a Bloody nose. Yes the pain and humilation etc does keep them quiet at first, but they will also gain a respect for you which was prevoisly lacking, which will allow them see were your coming from easier. Either way, more often then not they leave you the gently caress alone which is the only real important part.

Unfortunately the world doesn't work like it does in John Wayne movies. Fighting people is a bad idea always. The only time you should be hitting someone is if you have to defend yourself.

AugustineTheGreat
Oct 31, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I am actually thinking about transferring from this school altogether. It is not diverse (less than 15% minorities) and it seems like majority of the minorities self-segregate. This is a stark contrast from my high school which was very diverse. The hallways looked like a box of crayons.

Raxmus
Jul 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I am actually thinking about transferring from this school altogether. It is not diverse (less than 15% minorities) and it seems like majority of the minorities self-segregate. This is a stark contrast from my high school which was very diverse. The hallways looked like a box of crayons.

It's sad that you actually have to be faced like a decision but I don't think anyone could blame you if you're not happy. I saw the same verbal abuse poo poo happen in high school and anyone who stood up for themselves didn't get much in the way of support. It sucks just to get a better education these kids had to deal with that crap. I dunno maybe my advice is poo poo though but in the end you clearly have a clear head on your shoulders and know what's best in this situation based on the options provided and I don't think anyone can deny that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

"thats pretty much it, we all got high, it was sweet you should of been there"
"god damnt knuckles, your plan didn't do anything"

Just key his car and be done with it.

And get some new friends, they sound like pieces of poo poo if they thought that was appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Tasted Too Much Rainbow!!!

Have you considered Transferring before for other reasons, is this a tipping point, or are you upset enough to consider it because of this alone? If it bothers you that much I'm sure it's bothered other people that much, too- it's worth talking to someone first. If it was the former two, and you have the means, it's your decision- maybe there's a more crayon place. I just like to know what brings me to a decision before I make it- sometimes it helps.

«4 »