Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
MassaShowtime
Aug 16, 2012

Saviour, thy name is Knuckle

I cant wait to watch tay tay every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

myron cope posted:

RDS is available everywhere, right? The line that scares me is "A game is nationally blacked out if it is playing in all of Canada". They didn't count RDS before, but they also didn't mention RDS before.

Yes, it's usually buried in an obscure French language theme pack, and sometimes not available in HD, but every large cable/sat co. in the country should have it. I guess we'll see what they're going to do next Tuesday.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

What would happen in markets like Detroit, Buffalo & Seattle which get the local Canadian CBC channel on basic cable? Would the CBC games be blacked out in these markets?

For Gamecenter, Is it legit to share a login with someone on the other side of the country as long as they don't log in at the same time? i.e. I only care about evening Canucks games.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Tank44 posted:

For Gamecenter, Is it legit to share a login with someone on the other side of the country as long as they don't log in at the same time? i.e. I only care about evening Canucks games.
It worked fine for me (in Montreal) and a friend (in Calgary) 2 seasons ago.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This is going to end badly for the owners. Very badly.

Tank44 posted:

What would happen in markets like Detroit, Buffalo & Seattle which get the local Canadian CBC channel on basic cable? Would the CBC games be blacked out in these markets?

No, it doesn't cross over like that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

It always depends on the weather. When the weather is good, the team plays better.

Tank44 posted:

yeah it works fine

Awesome Welles
Nov 1, 2010

A BIG DISH OF PEAS YOU SAY?!

IMPOSSIBLE. MEANINGLESS.

Potential stupid question - I just signed up for Gamecenter and got the app on my PS3. All is fine until I get to the screen on my PS3 to link my account with a code, and it says go to ps3.com/nhl

...Only I go to that page and there is nowhere to enter in a code?

Where the gently caress do I need to go?

Abel Wingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What local station carries the Islanders? I've live in Brooklyn but can't remember ever seeing them on television.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

They fight for their teammates without any thought about danger to themselves. One can carry a puck while flying.

Abel Wingnut posted:

What local station carries the Islanders? I've live in Brooklyn but can't remember ever seeing them on television.

MSG?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DMT
DMT
DOO DEE DOO
DMT
LSD DOO DMT
LSD DOO DMT

Rutkowski posted:

So, uh, they still haven't charged me any money and I still got full access to Gamecenter(I have the entire offseason).

This. Is. Awesome.

I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering if this will continue into the season? I sort of want to know so I don't find out Saturday night when I'm trying to get the Blues game and it tells me then that I need to pay and it takes a while to process or something.

Abel Wingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I thought that was Rangers only.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Abel Wingnut posted:

MSG+, which used to be Fox Sports. They share the same channel as the Devils.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mike_V posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering if this will continue into the season? I sort of want to know so I don't find out Saturday night when I'm trying to get the Blues game and it tells me then that I need to pay and it takes a while to process or something.

Why don't you try talking to an online rep and seeing whats up?

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Awesome Welles posted:

Potential stupid question - I just signed up for Gamecenter and got the app on my PS3. All is fine until I get to the screen on my PS3 to link my account with a code, and it says go to ps3.com/nhl

Same boat here. I am assuming there's going to be an update to the app and it will get sorted out then.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

CDX posted:

Same boat here. I am assuming there's going to be an update to the app and it will get sorted out then.

My problem as well. And the only available app on on my iPhone is the 2011-2012 one, and when I try to watch regular season games from last year on that it pops up a message saying all playoff games are televised nationally and can't be watched. That's cool, but the Bruins/Toronto game from November wasn't a playoff.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

DMT
DMT
DOO DEE DOO
DMT
LSD DOO DMT
LSD DOO DMT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Why don't you try talking to an online rep and seeing whats up?

Because I don't want to alert them that I haven't paid if it will, indeed, work. Luckily there're early games on Saturday so I can see if I'm getting a feed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Rutkowski posted:

So, uh, they still haven't charged me any money and I still got full access to Gamecenter(I have the entire offseason).

This. Is. Awesome.

That's how it's supposed to work. You get a full year of access to old stuff, until the next season starts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mike_V posted:

Because I don't want to alert them that I haven't paid if it will, indeed, work. Luckily there're early games on Saturday so I can see if I'm getting a feed.

You don't have to sign in to your account to chat with the reps.

mik
Oct 15, 2003
oh

Does anyone know what TSN is doing in terms of streaming games online this year? I recall last year they did it on Wednesdays or something but in their press release about their 2013 broadcast schedule, there's no mention.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 21, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Great, I signed up and apparently 1600kbps is too much for my connection... despite NetMeter saying the speed never goes above 150kb/s or so

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

Great, I signed up and apparently 1600kbps is too much for my connection... despite NetMeter saying the speed never goes above 150kb/s or so

Is there a way I can test this BEFORE I sign up?

I know I can just do a speedtest, but I want to know what I'm going to get from Gamecenter's servers.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Once games start you can watch it for I think about 5 minutes before it cuts away and tells you to buy it, that should be enough viewing to get a handle on the speed/image quality.

For any non-NA people: buy it now you can watch every single game live in HD, looks great on a tv (through Apple TV,) I've not had any problems with it and the $50 is more than worth it for getting away from lovely feeds.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Is the blackouts only in effect for Live games? i.e. will a blacked out game be available on GameCenter a certain time later in the vault or whatever its called?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

"The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of BORK BORK BORK." - Socrates

Tank44 posted:

Is the blackouts only in effect for Live games? i.e. will a blacked out game be available on GameCenter a certain time later in the vault or whatever its called?

The blackouts are for 48 hours. After that it's available to all markets.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

I've read that GameCenter doesn't show playoff games in the US, but is that just because they are broadcast nationally or is it a blanket "GameCenter just does not cover the playoffs" thing? If I were to buy it and use a non-North American proxy, would I be able to stream the playoffs too, or still no?

Scythe fucked around with this message at Jan 15, 2013 around 04:25

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Scythe posted:

I've read that GameCenter doesn't show playoff games in the US, but is that just because they are broadcast nationally

Yep. A ton of last year's playoff games were on NBC. Some of the early round games weren't though. I can remember seeing Blues and Preds games on their FSN affiliates.

Scott Gomez Addams
Feb 10, 2008

Typically the first two rounds (I think it was up through game five of the semis) are optioned nationally, which means whatever NBC doesn't pick up stays local until that point.

Zat
Jan 15, 2008
Hehheee

DJExile posted:

Yep. A ton of last year's playoff games were on NBC. Some of the early round games weren't though. I can remember seeing Blues and Preds games on their FSN affiliates.

Anyways, last year, from GameCenter's point of view, every game was covered nationally, although during the first two rounds there was also live coverage done by local stations. Every game was on one of either NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC or NHL Network.

sba
Jul 9, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

JollyPubJerk posted:

Just got Gamecenter since my team is across the country from me and I have other ways to watch national games.

I loaded up the last playoff game and it was giving me 1600 kbps.

I'm confused as to why the app isn't compatible with my android tablet though. My phone can get it just fine. Oh well.

The replays/DVR feature is capped at 1600. You'll get better for live games.

Manicured Hog
Sep 18, 2004

...and he kept stabbing them, again and again. He's a halfling, he's supposed to be jolly...Why isn't he jolly? WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY?

Awesome Welles posted:

I am glad I am not the only person with this question.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

For international users like myself it's worth noting that the PS3 app is only in the US/Canada PSN store, so you'll need to register on PSN using a fake address.

leidend
May 18, 2008

Somewhat related topic but NHL network is available in HD in some markets, right? I can only get SD and I'm such an HD snob that last year I just watched TH2N on TSN2 instead.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

leidend posted:

Somewhat related topic but NHL network is available in HD in some markets, right? I can only get SD and I'm such an HD snob that last year I just watched TH2N on TSN2 instead.

On DirecTV last year I had NHLN, as well as every game broadcast that originated in the US, in HD. It owned.

Gamecenter app seems to be pulled from the android store at the moment.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Zorkon posted:

On DirecTV last year I had NHLN, as well as every game broadcast that originated in the US, in HD. It owned.

That owns. Wish I could get that on cable. Comcast gets me NHLN and NBCSports in HD. Gotta use Gamecenter to watch the Avs though.

Nice new avatar btw.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

This may be more suited to SH/SC, but does it matter which VPN protocol you use? Is one more easy to detect than others?

If I'm watching on my computer, I can just use the Witopia app and not worry. But if I want to watch on my Apple TV, I need to create a VPN connection using PPTP on my Mac, and then create a wireless network using that connection and connect my Apple TV to it. Unless someone knows of a better way? I'd really like to use my AppleTV to watch Gamecenter, but it seems to be such a hassle* that I will probably end up just watching on the computer.

*Hassle because I'm going to want to switch back to my regular network when not using it for games.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Zorkon posted:

Still down

The new app on the iPad looks fantastic.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Ralp

The android app updated, but I'm not at home to check whether it fixed the issue with my tablet yet or not.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

DJExile posted:

Still down

The new app on the iPad looks fantastic.

Yeah the iOS apps have been updated. Now just waiting on PS3 and X-Box so I can see which one runs better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

JollyPubJerk posted:

The android app updated, but I'm not at home to check whether it fixed the issue with my tablet yet or not.

The interface on the android app is a lot nicer now, but runs a bit choppy. Scrolling through Saturdays schedule, for example, seems to run at like 5fps

On a Nexus 7, which is a pretty beefy device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

Great OP, but just to make sure I'm understanding things right:

I may have missed the answer to this question, but I've got a friend in Dallas wanting to split Gamecenter with myself in Ohio (but going to DC and Florida during the season) to watch the CBJ. Two questions:

-Can the service be split between two people (assuming there's a shared login)?
-To handle billing, I think I read once that a way to get around having your home team blacked out was to have someone in a different region pay for the service which, in this case, would theoretically black out the Stars. Do we use his address in Dallas for billing?

e- On second glance, I sort of got an answer for the second question, but since the guy in Dallas is getting it for himself one way or another, is that going to piss somebody at Gamecenter off, or since "being able to take the NHL wherever you go" is the point of Gamecenter, should it not be a big deal if I use it in Florida?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2013 around 15:59

«25 »