Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Great OP, but just to make sure I'm understanding things right:

I may have missed the answer to this question, but I've got a friend in Dallas wanting to split Gamecenter with myself in Ohio (but going to DC and Florida during the season) to watch the CBJ. Two questions:

-Can the service be split between two people (assuming there's a shared login)?
-To handle billing, I think I read once that a way to get around having your home team blacked out was to have someone in a different region pay for the service which, in this case, would theoretically black out the Stars. Do we use his address in Dallas for billing?

Blackouts have nothing to do with billing address and everything to do with IP address location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

This is going to end badly for the owners. Very badly.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You can share the login, but you can't both be logged in simultaneously.

quote:

e- On second glance, I sort of got an answer for the second question, but since the guy in Dallas is getting it for himself one way or another, is that going to piss somebody at Gamecenter off, or since "being able to take the NHL wherever you go" is the point of Gamecenter, should it not be a big deal if I use it in Florida?
I don't think they'll care, but again, you can only use it one person at a time. I think Vigilance mentioned something before about sharing it with his brothers? And I think they're in different locations. I could be mis-remembering that though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff's watching...

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Blackouts have nothing to do with billing address and everything to do with IP address location.

Didn't know that. So if I'm in Columbus, it blacks out the Jackets, but if I'm in DC or Florida, the CBJ can be seen and it'll black out the Caps and Lightning/Panthers (whichever's local) respectively?

Rutkowski
Apr 27, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Great OP, but just to make sure I'm understanding things right:

I may have missed the answer to this question, but I've got a friend in Dallas wanting to split Gamecenter with myself in Ohio (but going to DC and Florida during the season) to watch the CBJ. Two questions:

-To handle billing, I think I read once that a way to get around having your home team blacked out was to have someone in a different region pay for the service which, in this case, would theoretically black out the Stars. Do we use his address in Dallas for billing?
Blackouts are based on IP so use a VPN to avoid it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

So I just noticed that NBC has 2 "national" games on Saturday at 3. I live in Chicago but want to watch the Pens game, am I poo poo out of luck because NBC here will have the Hawks game on? My understanding is that gamecenter won't have the Pens game since it's technically an NBC game. I have cable though, so will NHLN maybe pick up the other game or something?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rutkowski posted:

Blackouts are based on IP so use a VPN to avoid it.

Just know if they find out that you're doing this, according to the TOS, they'll charge you a $100 early termination fee and cut off your gamecenter.

Rutkowski
Apr 27, 2008

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just know if they find out that you're doing this, according to the TOS, they'll charge you a $100 early termination fee and cut off your gamecenter.
I doubt they care though. I mean, I'm looking at it from Sweden where I'm not even allowed to have Gamecenter in the first place and they still haven't turned off my account(even though I haven't paid for this season yet!).

Zat
Jan 15, 2008
Hehheee

Rutkowski posted:

I doubt they care though. I mean, I'm looking at it from Sweden where I'm not even allowed to have Gamecenter in the first place and they still haven't turned off my account(even though I haven't paid for this season yet!).

I doubt it too, but I think your case isn't really related because as far as I'm aware you never even needed to use any VPN trickery to keep using the real GCL in the Nordics if you already had an active account; only the sign-up page has been blocked ever since the Viasat deal.

Then again, I happen to know that you can still very easily sign up using a VPN or a proxy, and GCL quite apparently doesn't give a drat. (Viasat may get annoyed if they happen to realize that new GCL subscribers from the Nordic countries are not uncommon.)

Zat fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2013 around 19:02

Rutkowski
Apr 27, 2008

Zat posted:

I doubt it too, but I think your case isn't really related because as far as I'm aware you never even needed to use any VPN trickery to keep using the real GCL in the Nordics if you already had an active account; only the sign-up page has been blocked ever since the Viasat deal.
Actually, I had an account yet to resign I had to use a VPN from Germany for it to get through.

Zat
Jan 15, 2008
Hehheee

Rutkowski posted:

Actually, I had an account yet to resign I had to use a VPN from Germany for it to get through.

Oh, I see. But anyway yeah, I agree that GCL doesn't really take its geoblocking requirements very seriously. Personally I wouldn't worry about using VPN to circumvent any GCL restrictions.

sba
Jul 9, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

DirecTV just told me their Center Ice subscription comes with mobile access.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reporting back after talking to an agent: the Roku app is also last year's and won't work. New one should be out soon and then you'll be able to link your account. This appears to be the case for a lot of platforms, so if you go where they tell you to go and there isn't a place to enter a code, that is probably why.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

guppy posted:

Reporting back after talking to an agent: the Roku app is also last year's and won't work. New one should be out soon and then you'll be able to link your account. This appears to be the case for a lot of platforms, so if you go where they tell you to go and there isn't a place to enter a code, that is probably why.

Well I sure hope they plan on updating them soon, since games start in three days...did you ask for a more specific timeframe?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I did not. Others in this thread asking about apps for other platforms were told "this week."

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

sba posted:

DirecTV just told me their Center Ice subscription comes with mobile access.

Yes, but also gamecenter has an xbox app now. Is there a reason to get both center ice and gamecenter?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Saturday football was cool, then it got mainstream. Tuesday football is where it's at now.

Zorkon posted:

Yes, but also gamecenter has an xbox app now. Is there a reason to get both center ice and gamecenter?

Maybe if you really wanted mobile games and your internet at home wasn't good enough to give you a good picture, but otherwise it's kind of overkill to have both.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Zorkon posted:

Center Ice on Directv has real HD that looks a ton better than GCL. If it comes with mobile access I'm not sure how that's a losing proposition.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

I'm a little ray of sunshine.

Man if the DirecTV "mobile access" for Center Ice means I can stream games on my phone or laptop that's pretty awesome. I inevitably end up with several games that I have to stream because I'm out of town or something

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Chemmy posted:

Center Ice on Directv has real HD that looks a ton better than GCL. If it comes with mobile access I'm not sure how that's a losing proposition.
Yeah, HD is pretty sweet too.

Levitate posted:

Man if the DirecTV "mobile access" for Center Ice means I can stream games on my phone or laptop that's pretty awesome. I inevitably end up with several games that I have to stream because I'm out of town or something

If mobile access means watching on a computer, I'll be surprised.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

C'EST UNE BOULETTE DE VIANDE EPICEE

Okay, I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with DirecTV. Looks like you will not be able to do much with mobile streaming:

1) You will NOT be able to stream Center Ice to your computer, because you can't stream any live TV to anything other than Android/iOS

2) You will NOT be able to stream Center Ice to your phone/tablet/whatever because they don't have an agreement with the NHL

3) You WILL be able to stream the NHL Network to your Android/iOS thing because the NHL has an agreement for that channel

4) Should you want to watch NHL Network on an Android device, it will be very lovely because the quality is only in standard def at the moment it looks like (it does not look that great on my Nexus 10, which is an achievement).

5) You can only watch NHL Network on your Android/iOS thing if you are within your home network, as they are not "On The Go" compatible.

So if you want to be able to watch all the hockey on your TV and computer, you'll need both Gamecenter and Center Ice, which is really lame but whatever, at least it's cheap.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2013 around 20:38

Spamtron7000
Oct 15, 2003

I broke up with a girl because her older sister was too hot and I ended up preferring masturbating while thinking about the older sister vs. actually sleeping with the younger.

Did previous GameCenter subscribers get this? Answers a few questions in this thread:

Dear Spamtron,

The NHL season is set to start and once again you can follow the action live with NHL GameCenter LIVE™.

For your convenience, your annual subscription will be automatically renewed on January 21, 2013 at the one-time price of $49.99USD with the credit card you have on file. To ensure your billing information is up to date, please sign in to your account and select "Billing Info" at the top of the page.

Your account will remain active until we attempt the renewal charge on January 21, 2013. You may enjoy access to live games and on-demand videos until then with no action required by you.

With a single NHL GameCenter LIVE™ subscription, you can enjoy live out-of-market games online, on smartphones, tablets, and a variety of other Internet-connected devices like Xbox 360 and Apple TV®. For a complete list of supported devices, please visit nhl.com/devices.

Please read our FAQ and Terms of Service for any questions about NHL GameCenter LIVE™ or this renewal notice. To cancel your participation in this automatic renewal program, please call NHL GameCenter LIVE Customer Support at 866-210-6349 (US and Canada) and 407-708-1356 (International). If you do not call to cancel by January 20, 2013, the credit card on file will be charged.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

As of this morning, still no new Roku channel available and NHL.com/Roku is still useless. I presume updates to other platforms aren't available either. I wonder if they might actually miss the opening day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

guppy posted:

As of this morning, still no new Roku channel available and NHL.com/Roku is still useless. I presume updates to other platforms aren't available either. I wonder if they might actually miss the opening day.

Pretty sure the 360 or PS3 apps haven't been updated either

Scott Gomez Addams
Feb 10, 2008

The 360 app just came out an hour ago and should be in working shape.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Prisoner posted:

The 360 app just came out an hour ago and should be in working shape.

gently caress yes.

Tora Tora Torrents
Sep 22, 2003

Android app is broken for me on a Galaxy S3. If I open the app after it's been cached out of memory it completely locks up the phone, I have to hold down power to shut it off and reboot. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing that. Real bummer since I just ponied up the $50 for it.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'll have to see the video or something. Someone show me the video."

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Android app is broken for me on a Galaxy S3. If I open the app after it's been cached out of memory it completely locks up the phone, I have to hold down power to shut it off and reboot. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing that. Real bummer since I just ponied up the $50 for it.

Sounds like a typical Android experience.

Tora Tora Torrents
Sep 22, 2003

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

For reference, the Android app works fine on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Confirming new Roku app up and running and looks great. I uninstalled the old one and added the new one; don't know if you have to but I'm guessing you do. Linking is now just entering your login and password on the device instead of using a computer. I cued up the Avs' last game of last season to test and it's working well. Lets you pick home or away feed like MLB.tv, which is nice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

guppy posted:

Confirming new Roku app up and running and looks great. I uninstalled the old one and added the new one; don't know if you have to but I'm guessing you do. Linking is now just entering your login and password on the device instead of using a computer. I cued up the Avs' last game of last season to test and it's working well. Lets you pick home or away feed like MLB.tv, which is nice.

Yeah I just downloaded the Roku app. Didn't really mess around with it much; only linked it up to my account.

Doesent look as nice as the 360 app, but I guess that doesent really matter. Speaking of the 360 app; I linked my account and tried streaming some old games but the app keeps telling me that they couldn't stream and to check xbox.com/status. The website says the app should be up and running.

Anyone else running into this?

mr. unhsib posted:

For reference, the Android app works fine on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7.

Seems to be working fine on my Nexus 7 as well.

Laplacean Demon
Jan 20, 2004

In it to win it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I just downloaded the Roku app. Didn't really mess around with it much; only linked it up to my account.

Doesent look as nice as the 360 app, but I guess that doesent really matter. Speaking of the 360 app; I linked my account and tried streaming some old games but the app keeps telling me that they couldn't stream and to check xbox.com/status. The website says the app should be up and running.

Anyone else running into this?

Yeah, I'm having the same issues on the 360 app.

Scott Gomez Addams
Feb 10, 2008

Me too, but the Vault games aren't working on my laptop either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Laplacean Demon posted:

Yeah, I'm having the same issues on the 360 app.

Ok cool, glad to see it isn't just me than. Hopefully it won't affect the live games tomorrow, I was planning on watching some west-coast games after the Rangers game ends tomorrow

The Prisoner posted:

Me too, but the Vault games aren't working on my laptop either.

I streamed like 90 seconds of some Blackhawks playoff game from 2010 on my netbook a little over a half hour ago. Seemed to work ok.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I think they are being crushed by demand. Mine cut out after a little while too.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

In your end-o

No problems streaming the cup highlights on the front page on the 360. Haven't tried any other content yet, still umming and arring over whether or not to purchase.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zip! posted:

No problems streaming the cup highlights on the front page on the 360. Haven't tried any other content yet, still umming and arring over whether or not to purchase.

I didn't have a problem streaming the front page cup final highlights on the 360 either. It was only when I dug into the other content that the issue popped up.

E: PS3 app updated yet?

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2013 around 23:35

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'll have to see the video or something. Someone show me the video."

Zip! posted:

Worth it for $50 if you like hockey.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I think someone mentioned somewhere once that Live games are able to stream at a higher bitrate than archived games...is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think someone mentioned somewhere once that Live games are able to stream at a higher bitrate than archived games...is this correct?

That's correct. I think live games go up to 4500k?

«25 »