Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I used Gamecenter Live plus Unblock Us last season and it worked quite well. There's an app for iPad, but assuming there's no real updates from last season, it's a poorly coded piece of poo poo. I would actually recommend remote desktop streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So I'm on the fence about this as I'm moving to a new apartment which may or may not have HD Cable, and I can't stand SD. How close to HD is the quality? Will I regret blowing $50 on it?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

So I'm on the fence about this as I'm moving to a new apartment which may or may not have HD Cable, and I can't stand SD. How close to HD is the quality? Will I regret blowing $50 on it?

I'd say it's just as good as HD; I had both an HD cable stream and GCL last season. There's like a 1 minute delay from a cable stream however.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

I'm a little ray of sunshine.

I think other people have said that the framerate on GCL is less than real HD and some people can notice it and find it annoying

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

trilljester posted:

That's correct. I think live games go up to 4500k?

Jesus christ

Godinster
Jan 2, 2005

No more tripping, Emery

If I use Unblock-US [or any other proxy], does it give the ability to watch the CBC broadcast of games on GCL? It'd be much better than streaming CBC.ca unless there's magical way to make it work on a PS3/360

Godinster fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 02:34

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Time may change me
But I can't trace time

For those of you who can stream at HD quality, how good is your internet? I'm getting 5.8 mbs download speeds at speedtest.net and watching a Leafs/Habs game from last season was choppy as hell, even in lower definition.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Godinster posted:

If I use Unblock-US [or any other proxy], does it give the ability to watch the CBC broadcast of games on GCL? It'd be much better than streaming CBC.ca unless there's magical way to make it work on a PS3/360

Yes, it worked for me.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Millions posted:

For those of you who can stream at HD quality, how good is your internet? I'm getting 5.8 mbs download speeds at speedtest.net and watching a Leafs/Habs game from last season was choppy as hell, even in lower definition.

I have no problems.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Levitate posted:

I think other people have said that the framerate on GCL is less than real HD and some people can notice it and find it annoying

Yeah, there's definitely a framerate difference but it has never really bothered me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

App on 360 is still messed up as of an hour ago

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

aka Snake13

Are they actually keeping track of international IPs this year? I'm stationed in Italy and I had to call every single nationally broadcast US or Canadian game in order to get my IP address manually whitelisted.

Also, is the "full playoff outside North America" new? Because I didn't have access to anything after the first round.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

I had the whole lot last year in the UK

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

UK people, looks like we're getting a lot of blackouts this year. Some lovely channel called Premier Sports seems to have hosed everything up. Bastards.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

It looks like they've fixed it so it can stream properly again.

This is my first time using GCL. I'm watching on Roku, and the feed seems... I don't want to say choppy? The camera motion is jerky, continuously, and it doesn't seem like a bandwidth issue. Is this the framerate issue people were talking about? I have a hard time thinking anyone could possibly not notice this. The PC site isn't working for me at all, so I can't compare.

Anyone figured out a way to make it better? I'm worried I'm going to hate this the entire season. MLS managed a great feed, I don't know how the NHL can't do the same.

edit: I tried to use the PS3 app to compare but the 2013 app isn't even out yet. What a joke.

guppy fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 15:04

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McDragon posted:

UK people, looks like we're getting a lot of blackouts this year. Some lovely channel called Premier Sports seems to have hosed everything up. Bastards.

Wait, what? Are they going to enforce those games that Premier has? Have you read something somewhere? I got GCL because I have Virgin Media and they don't carry Premier.

If I end up having to put up with blackouts then I think I may cancel... we'll see what games Premier get I guess.

Edit: Just found it on DigitalSpy.

And of course the Penguins game is first on Premier. gently caress OFF.

Edit 2: Although GCL staff themselves don't seem so sure:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/show....php?p=63630900

thehustler fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 15:03

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

thehustler posted:

Wait, what? Are they going to enforce those games that Premier has? Have you read something somewhere? I got GCL because I have Virgin Media and they don't carry Premier.

According to the Premier Sports website at http://www.premiersports.tv/ they are. And poking around on the Gamecenter Live thing on nhl.com, it was telling me I couldn't watch a bunch of the ones I clicked on.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McDragon posted:

According to the Premier Sports website at http://www.premiersports.tv/ they are. And poking around on the Gamecenter Live thing on nhl.com, it was telling me I couldn't watch a bunch of the ones I clicked on.

What proxy options should I look at? Obviously if I got unblock us that wouldn't work for games on Premier and NBC... but then I could stream off NBC.com maybe?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

thehustler posted:

What proxy options should I look at? Obviously if I got unblock us that wouldn't work for games on Premier and NBC... but then I could stream off NBC.com maybe?

OldSenileGuy mentioned on page 2 that WiTopia would probably work, and it seemed to when I tried it out. Don't think it would work with devices other than a PC though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Suffice to say I'll look at all the options. It depends what games I'm going to miss though. 15 a week doesn't sound too bad, but if you're a fan of a larger team like I am, your team's games are going to be on Premier more than others. I'll probably still keep GCL but it means I'll have to resort to illegal streams for those games that I can't use GCL for.

What a mess. I was so stoked this morning and now you ruined it. McDragon

Edit: Wow that Witopia does look good

Martytoof
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome.

Awesome to
the MAX.

Is GCL doing a free preview for the first week like other years?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

thehustler posted:

What a mess. I was so stoked this morning and now you ruined it. McDragon

Yeah, I was looking forward to today as well, ruined all my excitement by finding that out. Still, looks like things might work out so I've got all excited again.

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 21, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Is there anywhere to disable automatic renewals on your account for next season apart from calling them up? That "you used our service last year so we thought we'd go ahead and charge you again for this year~" bullshit should be illegal.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I was looking forward to today as well, ruined all my excitement by finding that out. Still, looks like things might work out so I've got all excited again.

So have you paid for Witopia then?

Edit: It seems GCL are blacking out games that are shown delayed on Premier too, but on the Premier website it says live games only. So that needs sorting. People are trying to clarify

thehustler fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 16:50

PK FUCKING SUBBAN
Nov 15, 2007

"He's the type of guy who doesn’t respect anybody." - V. Lecavalier

"He's a guy that's come in the league and hasn't earned respect." - M. Richards

"Everybody dislikes him in the league." - D. Cherry

Came here to complain about the PS3 app but beaten like a Raffi Torres stepchild.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

thehustler posted:

So have you paid for Witopia then?

Yeah, they've got a 10 day money back thing, so I thought it would be worth a shot. Guess I'll find out later, going to an EIHL match this evening so I'll be missing most of the first bunch of games.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Came here to complain about the PS3 app but beaten like a Raffi Torres stepchild.

Does Sony still only update the store on thursdays or something like that? I'm wondering if it's more Sony's fault than the NHL/developer...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

OK guys, sorted out the blackouts for free using a method that was around a few years ago and then vanished, but which is now back up! For how long, who knows. The quality may be a bit choppy but we'll see.

http://www.freecanadavpn.com

Really easy to set up. Make sure you check the service order in your list of connections so that it uses the VPN first.

I'm getting now blackout message now. Good luck!

As a bonus this will sort you out for cbcsports.ca too

Edit: Also http://www.bestcanadavpn.com

thehustler fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 18:39

Pet Rock Band
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

How does using Gamecenter Live on two different PS3s in the same city work? I'd like to use it at my apartment, and another apartment when I'm visiting there. There's a 0% chance they'd watch any hockey without me there. When I was looking it up, it seemed like it had to be linked to a specific PS3.

edit: wait this is kind of a moot point, I didn't realize all the devices it's on

Pet Rock Band fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 18:53

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pet Rock Band posted:

How does using Gamecenter Live on two different PS3s in the same city work? I'd like to use it at my apartment, and another apartment when I'm visiting there. There's a 0% chance they'd watch any hockey without me there. When I was looking it up, it seemed like it had to be linked to a specific PS3.

You can watch Gamecenter on as many devices as you want, as long as you don't log in at the same time.

I just linked my account to 4 different devices yesterday alone

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

Is there anywhere to disable automatic renewals on your account for next season apart from calling them up? That "you used our service last year so we thought we'd go ahead and charge you again for this year~" bullshit should be illegal.

I used a gift card with fake name and address. Good luck renewing that one NHL

Spamtron7000
Oct 15, 2003

I broke up with a girl because her older sister was too hot and I ended up preferring masturbating while thinking about the older sister vs. actually sleeping with the younger.

Once I found out the PS3 app won't be released until February I called and ordered Center Ice for DirecTV - only $60. I've been on hold with NHL for 20 minutes now just so I can tell them not to charge my card. It's crazy that they had 4 extra months to get ready for this because of the lockout and they still couldn't get this square.

Thank You Fans!

At least I'm not a Pens fan. I invited my Pens fan buddy over to watch the game because I usually have everything. I just had to tell him it's blacked out in the US because of the NBC coverage. Of course, it's not actually on NBC in San Diego. The Kings are.

Thank You Fans!

There are so many people just like me who will literally pay whatever you want us to pay to watch every game. It's still not possible - you're just too stupid and greedy to figure it out.

Edit: I finally got through. The NHL support guy confirmed early February / late January. People have to be getting fired for this.

Spamtron7000 fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2013 around 19:22

Godinster
Jan 2, 2005

No more tripping, Emery

The 360 app is saying "Content not available" and that the 3 PM games are starting in 5 hours...

Any suggestions?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

aka Snake13

Sweet I'm blackout out here in Afghanistan and the online chat thing is saying its off hours. I know my internet isn't going to be fast enough to stream the game, I know its really gamecenter I should be angry at but I can't help it:

gently caress the army, gently caress Afghanistan, gently caress Italy, I want to go home and turn on NESN and watch a game in HD without hitching and without spending an hour loving with support

Least I still have those glass tickets for leave

Rutkowski
Apr 27, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

I'm getting the first two US games blacked out for some reason here in Sweden, it's really strange.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

Is it down? My iPad app isn't loading any live feeds or schedules.

Look out Dussin!
Jan 19, 2005

.436- Winning Percentage/BAC

I'm thinking it is down. Can't access my 360 app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Seems like it's down for everyone no matter what you use to watch.

Thank you fans!

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

Yeah, everyone on twitter is saying it's hosed. I switched to center ice for now, and will stay switched if they usually have HD. Tired of dealing with gamecenter bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look out Dussin!
Jan 19, 2005

.436- Winning Percentage/BAC

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Seems like it's down for everyone no matter what you use to watch.

Thank you fans!

Hell, NHL.com isn't even loading for me let alone their services.

«25 »