Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Round of: 'Who are your early Second Seal priorities?'

I managed to luck out and get basically... three Second Seals from shops by Chapter 7, and only money is keeping me from buying a fourth one.

Donnel is getting one for sure, and I guess Panne as well. Other thoughts are Sully or Lon'qu to Wyvern Rider, Miriel to Dark Mage, Stahl to Myrmidon, Vaike or Gregor to Barbarian, and Gaius to either Myrmidon or Fighter.

I wish Cherche came earlier, because I like her as a character, but she just falls off in usefulness as an actual fighter after the Say'ri map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Vaike to Barbarian is still one of the most important ones for making a character decent.

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

o muerte posted:

Quick question about getting Chrom to marry Olivia: do I have to actually keep Chrom away from other marriage candidates in all fights up to ch11, or do I just have to not have the support conversation that unlocks support level C? If it's the latter I'll totally do it, if it's the former, ugh.

I'm going to save you from the sausage party fate.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP CHROM AWAY FROM HIS OTHER MARRIAGE PARTNERS TO PAIR HIM UP WITH OLIVIA.

Just as long as you don't view any support conversations with them (you can unlock them, just never watch the C-rank), Chrom can marry Olivia.

Once you get to Chapter 11, just make sure you do one of the following:

1) Have Olivia dance to Chrom at least 7 times (7 is the absolute minimum)
2) Pair Olivia and Chrom together and have them fight at least 3 battles (I don't think you need to actually win, just engage the enemy)
3) Use at least 2 Seed of Trusts

Once Olivia has a certain amount of support points with Chrom, and Chrom doesn't have any support ranks with his other potential wives, Olivia actually becomes the highest priority bride.

The only time "keep Chrom away from women at all costs" is necessary is if you want to have him marry the generic villager.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Anzen posted:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP CHROM AWAY FROM HIS OTHER MARRIAGE PARTNERS TO PAIR HIM UP WITH OLIVIA.

Just as long as you don't view any support conversations with them (you can unlock them, just never watch the C-rank), Chrom can marry Olivia.

2) Pair Olivia and Chrom together and have them fight at least 3 battles (I don't think you need to actually win, just engage the enemy)

Once Olivia has a certain amount of support points with Chrom, and Chrom doesn't have any support ranks with his other potential wives, Olivia actually becomes the highest priority bride.

The only time "keep Chrom away from women at all costs" is necessary is if you want to have him marry the generic villager.

Wait are you serious? I thought all the girls were locked at the same affection points for Chrom if you never viewed their C-rank conversation, meaning his wife is left up to the priority list of Sumia -> Maribelle -> Sully -> Olivia -> Robin.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Anzen posted:

In trying to do this I accidentally got him and Sully side by side for an attack. In response I made him stay in the corner for the rest of the level. :mad:

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait are you serious? I thought all the girls were locked at the same affection points for Chrom if you never viewed their C-rank conversation, meaning his wife is left up to the priority list of Sumia -> Maribelle -> Sully -> Olivia -> Robin.

Here's a more in-depth explanation for this (warning, tumblr link), but the gist of it is that in the case that Chrom doesn't have a support rank with any of his potential brides (even if he has support points, that doesn't matter), Olivia is the one who actually has the highest priority as long as she gets a certain amount of support points with Chrom in chapter 11.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Anzen posted:

I love you. I suspected that's how it worked, but didn't want to devote 10 hours to test it myself. Thanks!

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I managed to luck out and get basically... three Second Seals from shops by Chapter 7, and only money is keeping me from buying a fourth one.

Donnel is getting one for sure, and I guess Panne as well. Other thoughts are Sully or Lon'qu to Wyvern Rider, Miriel to Dark Mage, Stahl to Myrmidon, Vaike or Gregor to Barbarian, and Gaius to either Myrmidon or Fighter.

I wish Cherche came earlier, because I like her as a character, but she just falls off in usefulness as an actual fighter after the Say'ri map.

I always end up second sealing Donny and Lissa early. Donny for obvious reasons and Lissa to Peg. Knight around lv15 to get her a head-start toward galeforce. I tend to burn my early master seals on Miriel and Ricken as sages to fill the staff gap left by Lissa and Maribelle going Peg. Knight and others on promoting Sully, Stahl or Kellam.

e: Sorry for the double post, it's hard to edit on a phone :saddowns:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If only Lissa weren't so terrible. Why do you get strength every level when you're a Cleric but suddenly decide you only want magic when I give you a flying horse? :argh:

Don't make people Wyvern Rider unless they don't have better options. Panne can go Wyvern Rider early because she gets no good skills anyway, but people like Sully shouldn't bother with it until they've got other class skills.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you wanna make Fred useful then you can make him a Wyvern Rider. Otherwise Vaike into Barbarian is your best bet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wyvern Rider is a great class in game because it combines flight, great stats and the best physical weapon type in the game. It also picks up Deliverer and two good Avoid boosting skills. Flight eventually becomes less of an advantage but the Wyvern classes still have 8 movement (10 with Deliverer) and that never goes out of style.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I forgot to mention this earlier: Vaike into Barbarian can be a much needed cash injection if you roll some lucky despoils. Donnel to merc with Leif's blade can be even better.

Once you've got one of those going you can generate more cash for more seals.

e: Non sequitur- I changed my mind about Virion's usefulness in the early game. Stack him up with a Peg. Knight and use him to bait enemy mages into an attack and *blap* one less mage to worry about. Seems to work pretty well for those early game "gently caress we're outnumbered and outgunned" kiting defense maps.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm never quite sure what to do with Gregor when you first get him - stick him to Merc and go to Hero for Sol, or reclass into either Myrmidon or Barbarian?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

May as well make him a Barbarian so he can pass down Axefaire to a daughter. He's always been subpar for me in practice so that tends to be how I go about it.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm never quite sure what to do with Gregor when you first get him - stick him to Merc and go to Hero for Sol, or reclass into either Myrmidon or Barbarian?
Sol's only 5 levels away. Get that and then second seal him into Barb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Roger Explosion posted:

Sol's only 5 levels away. Get that and then second seal him into Barb.

It's 15. He starts as a level 10 Merc, and Sol is Hero level 5.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's 15. He starts as a level 10 Merc, and Sol is Hero level 5.

There's nothing stopping you from promoting him immediately, if you want.

I wouldn't because I am a hopeless sperg who grinds everyone up to 20 every time, but a sensible person uses him like Gerik (except Gerik was a boring overpowered character, while Gregor is interesting but not all that strong).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You still shouldn't promote early. It really hurts your experience gain in the long rung. See Fred as your example. It's just being smart to promote at 20 or 10/10.

Naheal
Aug 25, 2013
So, unrelated to Awakening, but still a Fire Emblem question. Is there a decent translation available for Thracia 776, yet? The one I have is... decent, but I have a hard time playing it without wanting to go back to Geneology.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

You still shouldn't promote early. It really hurts your experience gain in the long rung. See Fred as your example. It's just being smart to promote at 20 or 10/10.

For experience gain it's not even worth it to promote at 10/10, go all the way to 10/20. You already ate the hit from a second seal, might as well hoover up the 10 free levels worth of permanent stat gain before you promote up.

Assuming you don't need that promotion *now* for some reason.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Naheal posted:

So, unrelated to Awakening, but still a Fire Emblem question. Is there a decent translation available for Thracia 776, yet? The one I have is... decent, but I have a hard time playing it without wanting to go back to Geneology.

Better place to ask would be here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597224&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Naheal
Aug 25, 2013

Must've missed the thread in my search. Thanks!

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
Miriel died...

And now comes the internal battle to restart or not to restart - that is the question!

And this was meant to be a 'whatever happens you stick with it' playthrough.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Egh, Laurent sucks anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Egh, Laurent sucks anyway.

Maybe, but where else are you going to find a unit that can wear a giant floppy wizard hat on a ripped berserker's body?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when I'm on a DLC map, there's some really good music playing, and when I go to the options, the soundtrack option is greyed out so I can't change it. Can anyone explain what this is and when it happens? It seems a little random. Can someone refer me to a list of the greyed out songs that are played?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ComaPrison posted:

Sometimes when I'm on a DLC map, there's some really good music playing, and when I go to the options, the soundtrack option is greyed out so I can't change it. Can anyone explain what this is and when it happens? It seems a little random. Can someone refer me to a list of the greyed out songs that are played?

The DLC music is from the older FE games in the series. The soundtrack option is the stuff that plays in free battles.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Music_in_Fire_Emblem:_Awakening

If you scroll down, this has all the DLC music listed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just started Lunatic mode in Awakening yesterday, and I just beat Chapter 5 today.

Is it pretty much going to be the Avatar-Chrom Power Hour from now on, or do I have a chance to get other people up to snuff?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

It's been over 14 months and I still haven't the faintest clue how one is to pronounce "Kjelle."

Anyone know?

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It's been over 14 months and I still haven't the faintest clue how one is to pronounce "Kjelle."

Anyone know?

I think something like 'shell'. Or in that area. I myself can't figure out how to pronounce Cherche. At least not that sounds right to me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just started Lunatic mode in Awakening yesterday, and I just beat Chapter 5 today.

Is it pretty much going to be the Avatar-Chrom Power Hour from now on, or do I have a chance to get other people up to snuff?

Most people will tell you no, but they are busters. I used Donnel in Lunatic without any DLC. Anything is possible.

Make your dreams come true.

Argent Cinereus posted:

I think something like 'shell'. Or in that area. I myself can't figure out how to pronounce Cherche. At least not that sounds right to me.

Cher like the artist, shh like you're telling someone to shut up.

Aeon
Apr 30, 2009

Anyone know?

The j comes out as a y, so you'd say it kee-yell.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone know?
I don't know how to type it out right, but I say "kuh-Jell", where the "kuh" is so short it's practically a part of the "J" sound. Dunno if that helps.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm pretty sure the E at the end is meant to be pronounced as well, like this.

(Interesting note: her name means "kettle" or, more appropriately for her, "helmet".)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Thuryl posted:

I'm pretty sure the E at the end is meant to be pronounced as well, like this.

(Interesting note: her name means "kettle" or, more appropriately for her, "helmet".)

You have no idea how much this has bothered me. Thank you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, it looks like Kjell is an actual swedish name (though it's a guy's name). It's pronounced "Chell" there, so probably something like that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nihilarian posted:

Oh, it looks like Kjell is an actual swedish name (though it's a guy's name). It's pronounced "Chell" there, so probably something like that.

As near as I can tell from a little Googling, "Chell" is the Swedish pronunciation and "Kyell" is the Norwegian pronunciation. Not knowing very much about either language, I'm guessing Kjelle is the feminine form of the name.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thuryl posted:

As near as I can tell from a little Googling, "Chell" is the Swedish pronunciation and "Kyell" is the Norwegian pronunciation. Not knowing very much about either language, I'm guessing Kjelle is the feminine form of the name.
I was thinking the same.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As a certified Norwegian I can tell you that the feminine version of "Kjell" is "Kjellaug". I'm not too sure about Sweden but I'd think you'd get other google hits than the Fire Emblem name if so. Oh, and there's a place in Norway called Kjelle, but that has nothing to do with people-names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anyone know?

Like "shell." It's Swedish.

• Locked thread