Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

dolphinbomb posted:

Did I just get lucky, or does everyone's Donnel turn into a loving war god by the end of the game? I just finished the first fight with Walhart and after switching him to mercenary and then to bow knight (leveling him 15 as a villager then to 20 as a merc) he's level 11 now and every single stat except Mag and Res are maxed.

I know his villager skill is ridiculous, but I didn't think it would be this good :stare:

Hero Donnel with some kind of weapon like a Hand Axe never dies.

The best part is that he passes down those skills to his kid.

Not like you should ever really pair MU with Donnel if you want optimization, but a kid with both Aptitude and Veteran will be capping levels and stats incredibly fast.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

:colbert: Not happening.

Really though is it that bad? I might cave but I'm definitely having fun at this point even if it's tough, even the first 4 chapters required me to think a lot about unit placement and matchups. Really, here's the thing-- I don't mind it if in Hard mode I have to be REALLY careful during battles themselves, as long as I'm not gonna screw myself over for good by building up my characters unoptimally or using up my weapons at the wrong time (I've got to admit, I got a slight case-of the feel-bads when my Heal broke during the middle of a battle. What do you mean, my Heal "broke"?!). If battle strategy itself is gonna be tough, but doable, I'll probably stick with Hard. If survival is gonna necessitate mastery of cross-classing and marriage and offsprings and all that stuff, I'll probably restart on Normal and move onto Hard after I've figured out the game systems and have a better idea how to take advantage of them.

Hard is actually pretty easy, you're only having problems because you're new to the systems at hand. Once you get used to the game it's fine but there's no shame in turning the difficulty down to get a feel for things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

If survival is gonna necessitate mastery of cross-classing and marriage and offsprings and all that stuff, I'll probably restart on Normal and move onto Hard after I've figured out the game systems and have a better idea how to take advantage of them.
Survival doesn't depend on that even on the super-high difficulties. Don't worry about it. You can beat the game without even using second seals.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Survival doesn't depend on that even on the super-high difficulties. Don't worry about it.

On the contrary, survival in the main game on lunatic/+ pretty much depends on you not doing that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I feel left out because none of my characters even maxed a single skill during the storyline

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
As long as you know the strategy is Frederick beats everyone to within an inch of their life and then your scrubs get the last hit, repeat until everyone's ripped, congratulations, you're good at Hard.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

goferchan posted:

:colbert: Not happening.

Really though is it that bad? I might cave but I'm definitely having fun at this point even if it's tough, even the first 4 chapters required me to think a lot about unit placement and matchups. Really, here's the thing-- I don't mind it if in Hard mode I have to be REALLY careful during battles themselves, as long as I'm not gonna screw myself over for good by building up my characters unoptimally or using up my weapons at the wrong time (I've got to admit, I got a slight case-of the feel-bads when my Heal broke during the middle of a battle. What do you mean, my Heal "broke"?!). If battle strategy itself is gonna be tough, but doable, I'll probably stick with Hard. If survival is gonna necessitate mastery of cross-classing and marriage and offsprings and all that stuff, I'll probably restart on Normal and move onto Hard after I've figured out the game systems and have a better idea how to take advantage of them.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game and I'm doing on Insane but casual atm and it's not that bad. The first couple of levels were really tough but once you get one or two more characters than Frederick strong enough to do anything it gets easier to level other people and pretty soon it's not all that hard at all. I have no interest in doing any of the eugenics poo poo or playing the harder DLCs though so.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I did my first playthrough on normal not knowing how incredibly easy it was. In normal, basic mechanics like the weapon triangle or supports don't really matter because everybody will be avatars of terror by themselves by like chapter 15. That still happens in hard, but you have to at least pay attention to the details.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

I did my first playthrough on normal not knowing how incredibly easy it was. In normal, basic mechanics like the weapon triangle or supports don't really matter because everybody will be avatars of terror by themselves by like chapter 15. That still happens in hard, but you have to at least pay attention to the details.
That happens in just about every FE game. Except FE10, where it happens at chapter 15 but then flips back to being hard for a couple of maps.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

That happens in just about every FE game. Except FE10, where it happens at chapter 15 but then flips back to being hard for a couple of maps.

FE12 Lunatic manages to keep the difficulty fairly level throughout, though the dragon focused maps mid and late game tend to be a bit easier since they don't have forged weapons and are all weak to effective weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dolphinbomb posted:

Did I just get lucky, or does everyone's Donnel turn into a loving war god by the end of the game? I just finished the first fight with Walhart and after switching him to mercenary and then to bow knight (leveling him 15 as a villager then to 20 as a merc) he's level 11 now and every single stat except Mag and Res are maxed.

I know his villager skill is ridiculous, but I didn't think it would be this good :stare:

I ended up taking Aptitude off of him after he reclassed to Mercenary and only went ten levels in that before going Hero, and he's still one of my best guys, which is confusing, since his growths are good but not that much better than everyone else's without Aptitude.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

But the thing is that he had Aptitude for at least 10 levels, and Villager's bases are so low that even if he didn't the jump to Mercenary would still put him on par with an average unit. You also still spent like 21 levels unpromoted before becoming a Hero so it isn't like you promoted early.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

By not playing Lunatic+ mode. Lunatic+ isn't a fair difficulty at all, it's a total bullshit one.

It sucks that Lunatic+ is pretty much RNG based because Lunatic's too easy, but I don't really feel like restarting until the Killing Edge myrmidons stop generating with Vantage+ and Hawkeye.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Last Celebration posted:

I ended up taking Aptitude off of him after he reclassed to Mercenary and only went ten levels in that before going Hero, and he's still one of my best guys, which is confusing, since his growths are good but not that much better than everyone else's without Aptitude.

Why would you ever take Aptitude off of anyone? Just for the hell of it?

Donny being an unstoppable god of destruction is easily my favorite part of Awakening. He is a goddamn pothead who lays entire armies unto ruin. Armsthrift+Sol+a Lief Blade forged to maximum critical chance = loads and loads of money and dead bad guys.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vengarr posted:

Why would you ever take Aptitude off of anyone? Just for the hell of it?

The only reason I can think of is because you capped all their stats, in which case, yeah, go ahead and swap it out since it's not doing anything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It felt like it inherently kind of defeated the point of Hard mode to have a unit that had 85% growths in Strength, Skill, Speed, and a 100% Luck growth for Armsthrift/general dodgetanking. Even without that though Nowi's still kind of ruined the difficulty since I could throw her at anything after training her up a bit and she'd come out smelling like roses, not to mention Chrom/Wife getting like 80% dual strikes, so trying to challenge yourself is kind of an uphill battle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The difficulty in Fire Emblem doesn't come from not having enough numbers attached to your characters. It boils down to strategy and army composition.

And resetting. Lots of resetting.

Seriously, once you're done with Hard mode, go play Lunatic.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The true difficulty of Fire Emblem Awakening is deciding which unit stays single. Sorry boys but there's always gotta be at least one of you who is a confirmed bachelor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

The true difficulty of Fire Emblem Awakening is deciding which unit stays single. Sorry boys but there's always gotta be at least one of you who is a confirmed bachelor.

It's only fitting it be Virion, really.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

The difficulty in Fire Emblem doesn't come from not having enough numbers attached to your characters. It boils down to strategy and army composition.

And resetting. Lots of resetting.

Seriously, once you're done with Hard mode, go play Lunatic.

I actually started a Lunatic file since I was getting tired of getting ambushed by the bullshit reinforcements in Chapter 21. It's pretty cool after the terrible initial stretch, but it's not a huge leap after that since Veteran and Chrom Dual Striking and dodgetanking every axe-wielder and Nosferatu-wielding Dark Mage in Plegia kind of ruins the difficulty. And I've done FE6 Hard, so I'm not new to the games or anything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Ricken will forever remain at the very bottom of my character select screen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Say'ri really ought to have had the option to have a kid, considering how important she is in the story.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Terper posted:

This is the correct answer. Virion deserves it too, but Ricken manages to edge out on being the worse character.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Say'ri really ought to have had the option to have a kid, considering how important she is in the story.

I always thought that was weird. I mean there aren't all that many after Cherche either way, but the child cutoff after that just seems... I don't think lazy is the word, but it is really strange. That's like the whole reason I don't ever really use anybody you get after going to Valm. I guess I used Tiki a few times in my first playthrough because I had a spare slot and nobody else who could survive that late.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Listen, if you aren't marrying Basilio or Flavia, you aren't playing the game right.

Walhart is also acceptable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE loving MOON posted:

I always thought that was weird. I mean there aren't all that many after Cherche either way, but the child cutoff after that just seems... I don't think lazy is the word, but it is really strange. That's like the whole reason I don't ever really use anybody you get after going to Valm. I guess I used Tiki a few times in my first playthrough because I had a spare slot and nobody else who could survive that late.

Tiki's basically the exception to everyone after Henry, not just because she's quite strong off the bat, but also because she actually has more than two supports (three if you count Morgan).

Practically a crime you can't S rank Basilio and Flavia.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

Listen, if you aren't marrying Basilio or Flavia, you aren't playing the game right.

Walhart is also acceptable.

Basilio and Flavia can at least marry each other rather than just the avatar. That's more than most post-Cherchers can say.

But yah Walhart owns. Also Gangrel

edit: Wait, you can't S-rank Basilio and Flavia? drat.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

mabels big day posted:

Not true if you have Chrom marry the Maiden and F!Robin marry one of the bachelors :v:

But if you're playing as the girl avatar and not marrying Gangrel or Walhart then I honestly don't know what you're doing with your life

Terper posted:

Momomo posted:

This is the correct answer. Virion deserves it too, but Ricken manages to edge out on being the worse character.

I understand your choice, but would you really inflict Nowi on anyone else?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I definitely prefer the two of them not being able to S rank. Maybe if it was just the two of them trusting each other, but absolutely not getting married.

edit: I'd prefer inflicting Nowi on the bench, honestly.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mabels big day posted:

Stahl is too boring to ever get laid.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

I understand your choice, but would you really inflict Nowi on anyone else?
Donnel will have the most complete Hero's Journey, up to and including marrying a dragon, yes. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm hearing rumours that Dark Horse is working on one of the Japanese FE books (Knights of Iris, maybe? I don't keep up with any of this stuff). Does anyone know anything more about this?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Terper posted:

Donnel will have the most complete Hero's Journey, up to and including marrying a dragon, yes. :colbert:

Yup. Donnel is the only one I ever marry Nowi off to. Everyone else seems really weird, Ricken is kinda bad, and I want Nah to have a good dad sooooooo...

I hope the next FE keeps the marriage-> 2nd generation thing, but I could really do without another literal thousand-year-old lolibait dragon. Nowi is every 'anime is bad' joke ever, made flesh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno I thought Nowi was kind of dumb but I just treated her like any other unit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really want them to do the marriage and kids thing again, unless they have two generations. It never felt narratively appropriate for me to ever actually use the kids, and it felt pretty tacked on to me, to be honest.

Also, Nowi felt like she was written by at least two different people with opposing ideas on the character, and that just made her worse. She was also completely pointless since we have Tiki as our resident dragon, and she even has both plot relevance and a relationship to the player because we know her from another game. I wish they'd quit giving us the young-but-not-young dragons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, to be fair, at least Tiki in the earlier games, Fa and Myrrh were written like actual kids for the most part. Like, they were 'oh they're a kid but they're actually 1000 years old', but for the most part they just acted like kids. 1000 years old is just a child in dragon years. It wasn't really case of an adult being in a child's body or anything.

As opposed to Nowi, who's in this weird inbetween way where half the time she acts like a kid and half the time she seems to understand things a kid probably couldn't. Like you said, it felt like she was written by two different people.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I guess they couldn't reasonably use the time-travelers from the future thing again. It was really contrived this time around... but it's just so cool, I don't want to see it go. :(

Not that it will keep me from playing the hell out of whatever they put out next.

edit: 1,000 years of experience is 1,000 years of experience. Maybe dragons are just developmentally disabled? :v:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 25, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

THE loving MOON posted:

I guess they couldn't reasonably use the time-travelers from the future thing again. It was really contrived this time around... but it's just so cool, I don't want to see it go. :(

They could just have you play with 1st-gen units, then insert an 18-year timeskip so that you can have your grizzled veteran parents alongside their newly adult children. That would require changes in the actual mechanics of recruiting children, though.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

They wouldn't necessarily have to do something like time-traveling. It could be like Blazing Sword and Sword of Seals combined into one game. The parents go off world-saving, and then 20 years later in the second half of the game, their kids do.

Edit: Great minds think alike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Draxion posted:

They wouldn't necessarily have to do something like time-traveling. It could be like Blazing Sword and Sword of Seals combined into one game. The parents go off world-saving, and then 20 years later in the second half of the game, their kids do.

Edit: Great minds think alike

Didn't one of the Dragon Quest games do this? I don't think you ever fought alongside your kids, but there was a time skip and later you picked back up playing as them. Honestly, that's how I thought FE:A worked, I'm only a few chapters in, but now I have some goofy time-travel poo poo to look forward to so that's awesome.

• Locked thread