Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm getting all worked up over inheritance :(

Should've given Lucina Galeforce too. Morgan got it. Still haven't started with the rest of the kids, since I'm trying to get the skills set up for their parents.

Also, why do Say'ri and Anna have so few supports?

Lucina can always pick up Galeforce herself, as long as her mother isn't Sully. Don't sweat about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CeallaSo posted:

I'm right there with you in getting worked up over inheritance. It mostly boils down to "what's the availability of this skill? Would it take long to get? And is it useful?" But there are generally enough skills that fit into those three that the decision keeps the more analytical among us nice and restless.

As for Say'ri and Anna, it's because they're pre-promotes who were never fully fleshed out. I find it interesting to imagine what their kids (as well as Tiki's and Flavia's) might have been like if IntSys had actually been able to go all the way.

Well, we know that Anna would probably have a smaller clone of herself, so leaving her childfree is probably the right call, but the rest would be nice. Though I kind of see Morgan fitting what you'd expect Tiki's daughter to be already.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CeallaSo posted:

I'm right there with you in getting worked up over inheritance. It mostly boils down to "what's the availability of this skill? Would it take long to get? And is it useful?" But there are generally enough skills that fit into those three that the decision keeps the more analytical among us nice and restless.

As for Say'ri and Anna, it's because they're pre-promotes who were never fully fleshed out. I find it interesting to imagine what their kids (as well as Tiki's and Flavia's) might have been like if IntSys had actually been able to go all the way.

It's still odd that Tiki got quite a few supports (Robin, Say'ri, Anna, Lucina, Nah), but the rest of the pre-promotes barring Libra got so shafted for supports. If you're not pairing Tiki up with Say'ri or Anna their only option is Robin (or Morgan if they're her mother).

Would have been neat to see Basilio's supports with Lon'qu/Olivia, or Flavia chumming up with Sully.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Lucina can always pick up Galeforce herself, as long as her mother isn't Sully. Don't sweat about it.

Or the village girl.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This game's super hard mode (insanity or whatever) with classic mode is making me furious. I have a 20 hour flight in a few weeks and I'm genuinely concerned that I might not beat more than two or three levels.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012
regular Lunatic's difficulty is totally frontloaded, if you can beat the first few chapters then the rest of the game is comparatively pretty simple. Remember that Avatar and Chrom can walk on water while the enemy units can't, try and use this to get Avatar a ton of levels in the prologue. If you do things right Avatar can be stronger than Freddy by chapter 2 and from that point she can carry you through the entire game.

oh, and it doesn't really matter if randoms die in the early chapters. I can assure you that you won't miss no-hopers like Virion or Donnel and you don't get bonus points for keeping everyone alive, if you've got a bunch of good levels in one chapter but Virion croaks it near the end then I personally wouldn't reset

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I still don't get why Avatar x Anna's kid wasn't named Anna.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BlitzBlast posted:

She didn't look like Anna and refused to take over the family business. Anna couldn't name such a black sheep after herself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They'd have had to make Morgan look like Anna as well if they really wanted to go that route. Probably also need to rewrite some supports. :effort:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

BlitzBlast posted:

If I recall correctly a while back in this very thread someone posted a translated comic about how Anna suspected the Avatar of cheating on her when Morgan comes from the future because in her own words, every member of her family is an Anna. She is quite relieved however, when Morgan suddenly sees a coin drop on the floor and instantly snatches it up and this lets her know Morgan is her child.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

BlitzBlast posted:

Or Anita.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to have to ask this but I didn't really see this in the OP. I've played tactics games and even one fire emblem game before but am not 15 any more (i.e. I don't have unlimited time and patience) and am not super spergy. I have this game as my first ds purchase and am at the difficulty screen. I know that fire emblem can be tough which is why I want to make sure picking 'hard' is not going to be some kind of big, big mistake. I'm thinking hard/casual? Is that ok? or is hard really, really hard? I do like a challenge but don't want to go overboard.

edit: VVV Thanks for the quick replies :v:

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hard isn't that big a deal in Awakening, especially if you're on casual. Hard in Awakening is more like normal in other Fire Emblem games. Normal is baby's first strategy game, and you do not want lunatic. Even if you were spergy and wanted a challenge, lunatic is more tedious than anything.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Sorry to have to ask this but I didn't really see this in the OP. I've played tactics games and even one fire emblem game before but am not 15 any more (i.e. I don't have unlimited time and patience) and am not super spergy. I have this game as my first ds purchase and am at the difficulty screen. I know that fire emblem can be tough which is why I want to make sure picking 'hard' is not going to be some kind of big, big mistake. I'm thinking hard/casual? Is that ok? or is hard really, really hard? I do like a challenge but don't want to go overboard.

The only difference between casual and classic is how much you like to reload your game. Hard is basically the normal difficulty setting for fire emblem games that have lunatic as a difficulty selection, I feel like it's equivalent to normal hector in terms of difficulty in FE7 (the first one released in the US). e;fb

I wish Lunatic in FE:A were like Lunatic in FE12 but I think the ability system is what actually ruins FE:A lunatic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lunatic is bad straight out the gate before you even get any skills worth the name, though. Lunatic+ is definitely made worse for the enemy only skills but he can't play that yet anyway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone got a link to any decent video LPs of FE12 without audio commentary?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Does the thread title refer to the fact that the 3d models have no feet? Also I'm unclear on why to double people up. The main selected guy still takes all the damage with the same amount of HP, and the second guy does not necessarily get to hit the bad guy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

redreader posted:

Does the thread title refer to the fact that the 3d models have no feet? Also I'm unclear on why to double people up. The main selected guy still takes all the damage with the same amount of HP, and the second guy does not necessarily get to hit the bad guy.

Fire Emblem has a huge difference in combat when you add 1-2 stat points. Adding 8-9 is a game breaker.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

redreader posted:

Yes to the first. You want people doubled up because it improves your stats (having even a couple higher stat points can make a world of difference in fire emblem), and also helps build support bonuses, which is like the relationship between two units. if you keep pairing people up then they like each other more, and the stat boosts you get increase, and the chances of double attacking increase as well. it's definitely better to have one really strong units on the map than two less strong units

Also, in my opinion, you should have done classic mode, because resetting upon any unit's death is the one true fire emblem experience, and I believe the levels and enemy AI are designed around this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Having two weaker units is always worse than having one stronger unit. Stats are very important in Fire Emblem.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Having two weaker units is always worse than having one stronger unit. Stats are very important in Fire Emblem.

Especially in this game where the AI will almost always go for the kill if they can, no matter how many of their dead they have to climb over to do it. A solo unit gets mobbed only slightly less than one that can't fight back. You should never leave anyone solo in this game if you can avoid it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

Especially in this game where the AI will almost always go for the kill if they can, no matter how many of their dead they have to climb over to do it. A solo unit gets mobbed only slightly less than one that can't fight back. You should never leave anyone solo in this game if you can avoid it.

That's one thing that's interesting to me because the AI isn't out to get kills in all FE games but apparently it was a thing in Awakening. Specifically in 12 the AI even on lunatic reverse tries to do as much damage as possible per attack as opposed to piling for kills. I don't remember what it did in FE7 but I don't seem to remember the AI being vicious in FE7 or FE8. I mean really it's super easy to keep your dudes alive in awakening anyway as soon as you get over the difficulty hump in the main scenario assuming you're not playing on lunatic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Early on there are times having people unpaired is better, usually guys that aren't your main attackers (Avatar, Chrom, Frederick, etc), just because there might be more enemies than you have pairs that can be attacked. Once you get some decent stats though, there's never a time an unpaired unit is better than a paired one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There are some points where having more units available is desirable, like to kill off a massed attack on a target unit before they can get close, but those are fairly specific situations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zoness posted:

That's one thing that's interesting to me because the AI isn't out to get kills in all FE games but apparently it was a thing in Awakening. Specifically in 12 the AI even on lunatic reverse tries to do as much damage as possible per attack as opposed to piling for kills. I don't remember what it did in FE7 but I don't seem to remember the AI being vicious in FE7 or FE8. I mean really it's super easy to keep your dudes alive in awakening anyway as soon as you get over the difficulty hump in the main scenario assuming you're not playing on lunatic.

Admittedly I put very little time into 11 or 12, but I'm 99% sure that the Fire Emblem AI has and always will begin every single decision with "Can I kill a player unit on this turn?" and assuming that's no, goes to "Can I attack without being counterattacked?" or "Who can I do the most damage to?" depending on the game in question. (FE6-8 did the former, pretty sure FE11-12 do the latter)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Although to be fair I'm pretty sure you can get through the main story without pairing up to do anything except to transfer units.

I mostly did this because I assumed pairing up was like rescuing from FE7 and it wasn't until postgame dlc stuff that I realized it was actually a stat gain.

Also I want to say anecdotally from the last 2-3 missions I've done that FE12 prioritizes damage done as is noted when I place a 40hp sage (3 defense) next to tiki at 18 hp, the sage almost always gets prioritized first.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Artix posted:

Admittedly I put very little time into 11 or 12, but I'm 99% sure that the Fire Emblem AI has and always will begin every single decision with "Can I kill a player unit on this turn?" and assuming that's no, goes to "Can I attack without being counterattacked?" or "Who can I do the most damage to?" depending on the game in question. (FE6-8 did the former, pretty sure FE11-12 do the latter)

Yeah 2 battles my healer died, then as soon as I got the witch I kept my healer alive and the witch died. I didn't realise that some battles have like, 3 sections that trigger enemies when you move past a certain point. in that case it's definitely better to keep the healer back and make them heal a ton and just take a bunch of turns, after each wave. I should have put the witch in a fort or paired her up with someone. I did only move her in at the end of the fight, but yeah both remaining enemies hit her on their turn and she died.

Does it matter who I pair people with? like, can I pair the archer and the witch, or should I pair frederick and the witch since he's the best and she's the worst? or what?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

redreader posted:

Yeah 2 battles my healer died, then as soon as I got the witch I kept my healer alive and the witch died. I didn't realise that some battles have like, 3 sections that trigger enemies when you move past a certain point. in that case it's definitely better to keep the healer back and make them heal a ton and just take a bunch of turns, after each wave. I should have put the witch in a fort or paired her up with someone. I did only move her in at the end of the fight, but yeah both remaining enemies hit her on their turn and she died.

Does it matter who I pair people with? like, can I pair the archer and the witch, or should I pair frederick and the witch since he's the best and she's the worst? or what?

Healers start off completely helpless and basic magic users tend to be squishy towards physical attacks. Class changing and associated skills can rectify that, which you'll want for your two starting healers as soon as possible. Note that healers can only level up if they use their staffs, enemy attacks do nothing but put them at risk. Also note that archers aren't usually very good as they can only attack if the opponent is one square away from them. Any closer and all they can do is dodge, meaning that they tend not to fair too well and usually fall by the wayside since tome using classes can do everything they do and more. Magic is very useful in this game, especially for your avatar.

Don't rely on Frederick too much as he'll eat up valuable XP for other units and fall behind later on.

The partner units give boosts according to their stats, so it's usually best to pair up either to reduce weaknesses (give a frail unit heavy armor or slow unit a speedster) or to boost strengths (pairing magic units or high speed units). Support conversations unlock if you pair the right people together which also increase the bonuses the pair gets in following battles. You'll know that the pair you chose has supports if hearts appear over their heads after an attack or successful defense.

You'll also need to pair some opposite sex units to unlock characters later who take stats and skills from the pair. You should check out the wiki for more info on that. Fussing over who to pair together for their resulting unit tends to be the biggest part of the game for most. You'll want to look up either the wiki or some guides if you have this many questions.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 6, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

redreader posted:

the stats your units gain are based on what class the person they're paired up with is. Pairing up a mage with someone increases their magic mostly. So, if you paired your mage with a knight, that knight would have a higher magic stat, which is pretty useless on a knight. If you paired a knight up with the mage in front, the mage would have a big boost to defense and attack. You can see what stats your guys gain when you go to pair them up, so just pay attention to what might be useful. You can either try to cover your units weaknesses (pairing a fast character to a knight, or high attack to a myrmidon) or increasing their strengths (pair your warrior with a knight, pairing two mages together)

Generally you want your healers well defended. You can press the X button during your turn to see the range of enemy movement, so you can keep them out of that range.

edit: The other thing you want to keep in mind when you pair up is when you pair up opposite genders, and boost their support, they can eventually get married, and they have a kid unit you can recruit to your army. if you're just playing the game for fun it does not matter in the least which characters you have marry, but the parents do slightly influence what stats the kids have. but it's not very important for a first time run, just pair up people that you like and think would be funny if they got married.

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 6, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Artix posted:

This isn't quite true. In 1-5 the AI was random and intentionally stupid. In 6-10, I believe nothing would cause it to deviate from moving the enemies in the same order every turn (so a weak enemy earlier in the list can block a strong enemy from killing you). In 11-13, it first checks to see if any enemies can go in for the kill, and if not, then it proceeds as normal (and rechecks whether it can kill you after each move).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

There are some points where having more units available is desirable, like to kill off a massed attack on a target unit before they can get close, but those are fairly specific situations.

I've played on every difficulty and can't think of a point where this is true. Have some examples? I'm curious what we're doing differently.

Zoness posted:

Although to be fair I'm pretty sure you can get through the main story without pairing up to do anything except to transfer units.

You definitely can on normal and hard.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i unpair people on the map where you protect tiki

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That is a good example, you're right. Dunno that you can bring enough to box her in and still be able to move around otherwise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, missions that require you to protect certain targets, like the one mentioned above, Brady's recruit mission if you want to save all the villagers (laffo), and a few others I cant recall right now. As I said, specific circumstances where having more bodies or more actions outweigh a superunit.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That is a good example, you're right. Dunno that you can bring enough to box her in and still be able to move around otherwise.

I don't think you can, though it's always a good idea to pair up the people sitting in her axes so that they can deal with the waves of enemies coming at them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

i unpair people on the map where you protect tiki

Okay, but that's a situation where you have a static NPC to protect from multiple angles, meaning having more bodies to form a perimeter is most important than hitting individual enemies hard.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Serenes Forest has at last uncovered the points you need to get units to support one another. And it appears that it's not only Chrom x Sumia who's supposed to be a "canon" pairing. Most first gens who can marry people other than the Avatar has one partner whom they support the fastest with and one who comes second to that partner.

Here are the fastest pairings in order of the join time of the units with children:

Chrom x Sumia
Lissa x Vaike
Sully x Kellam
Miriel x Stahl
Maribelle x Frederick
Panne x Ricken
Cordelia x Libra
Nowi x Gregor
Tharja x Gaius (this comic just got ten times as hilarious! :allears:)
Olivia x Henry
Cherche x Virion

Lon'qu and Donnel support equally slowly with all the women.

As for the second gens, their "destined" pairings are these (and they support slowly with everyone else):

Lucina x Laurent
Kjelle x Owain
Cynthia x Inigo
Severa x Brady
Noire x Yarne
Nah x Gerome

The Morgans support equally slowly with the opposite sex.

So if you want to get S Supports fast, these are the ones to take.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Poor Panne. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So it appears that Stahl does excel at exactly one thing... capturing Miriel's heart. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So aren't the fast supports only 1 map faster than the slow supports? Assuming you're getting 27 points per map, which is apparantly only six pair up attacks of any kind, than the slow supports should take 6 maps and the fast supports should take 4.66.

That's not how I would have guessed it worked at all. I remember trying to get Morgan and Severa to fall in love and it felt agonizingly slow, much longer than any of the parents.

• Locked thread