Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have purposely been playing through this game as blindly as possible, and I must say that once I figured out how to class people in such a way to get Counter/pass Counter along to children (which was extremely recently in the grand scheme of things), my in-game life got very interesting (and also like a thousand times more grind-y).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What's the maximum number of kids who can have both Galeforce and Counter?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What's the maximum number of kids who can have both Galeforce and Counter?

Owain- Any
Inigo- Any
Brady- Vaike/Gaius/Donnel/Gregor/Henry/Avatar
Kjelle- Gaius/Donnel/Avatar
Cynthia- Avatar/Gaius/Henry
Severa- Vaike/Gaius/Donnel/Gregor/Henry/Avatar
Morgan- Any
Noire- Avatar/Gaius/Donnel
Nah- Avatar/Gaius/Donnel

3 will always have access and you need a male Avatar

Tharja/Nowi/Sully need MAvatar/Gaius/Donnel as usual as they can pass Counter, open up Galeforce for their daughters
Sumia/Henry as her limited support pool means he's the only one who can pass counter besides Gaius/Avatar and he can't give Galeforce
Mariabelle/Cordelia with Vaike/Gregor as they're the only dads left who can pass Counter
Lissa/Olivia with anyone else because their kids have access to both just through their moms

Laurent, Gerome, Yarne, and Lucina can never get the combo. If you have a female Avatar, M-Morgan can still get it but you lose one of Noire/Nah/Kjelle.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 15, 2015

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Owain and Inigo can both get Galeforce from their mothers and have Barbarian as part of their default class sets.
Cynthia and Severa get Pegasus Knight in their default class set, and Brady gets it from his mother. Vaike, Gregor and Henry all have Barbarian, and can pass Counter to Cynthia and Severa and the class to Brady.
Robin, Gaius and Donnel all get Fighter to pass down Counter and pass down Pegasus Knight to daughters, so Kjelle, Nah, Morgan and Noire can all get Galeforce + Counter.
Gerome, Yarne and Laurent can't get Galeforce, and Lucina can't get Counter.

So that's 9 kids with Counter + Galeforce.

e;fb

Red Metal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 17, 2015

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
edit: nevermind

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 17, 2015

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have finally fallen down the eugenics rabbithole. During my walk to work from the train, I was thinking about how I want to breed Brady/Owain/Laurent so I can have an ultra-magical Morgan. :science: :godwin:

My most recent Morgan is 1/4 taguel, with Beastbane, Ignis, Renewal, and Veteran. I don't feel great about marrying my avatars to second generation characters, but creating super-Morgans eases my tortured soul.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I just started playing this game about a week ago, and I sorely regret not doing this sooner! I suppose the nice thing about having held off so long is that the Bonus Box was chock full of stuff to help out the early/mid game.

I'm just cracking in to Ch.7, and I'm aware of the babymakin' thing. I've been pairing up characters mostly based around who I want to see hook up for breeding later. My avatar character is a mage, and I've had him teaming with Muriel from the start- I figure mage+mage will = ubermage. Even without that though, their friendship level is at B right now and just about every attack results in a hilarious and regularly fatal volley of lightning bolts and fireballs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im sorry to tell you but your son will have a critical case of boring

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Davincie posted:

On the other hand, he will be quite powerful. Especially if you chose +Spd as your asset.

This is true of any kid you have, admittedly, but Laurent only has so many parents who can propel him from "a little more useful than gen 1" to "walking god of the battlefield."

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Davincie posted:

I will love him anyway just like my momma loved me. Are there any good chocobo breeding guides for this game?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

5er posted:

I will love him anyway just like my momma loved me. Are there any good chocobo breeding guides for this game?

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/children/
http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/maximum-stats/complete/

for maximum optimization

The real answer is to pair people based on if they are cute together or if they give their children nice hair

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Is there any bad consequence if I want to just grind away for a bit with Reeking Boxes? I want to beef up a couple of lowbies in my dogpile.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

5er posted:

Is there any bad consequence if I want to just grind away for a bit with Reeking Boxes? I want to beef up a couple of lowbies in my dogpile.

No, the game doesn't scale.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

5er posted:

Not in normal mode.

In hard and above, reeking boxes cost more than the loot they drop can sell for, so you'll gradually lose money using them.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I grinded a little bit with spotpass and reeking boxes and now I feel like the game is just too much easymode

Maybe it gets way harder, I just got to the first part where it timeskips a bit, but in the last few missions I did most of my main paired up dudes took literally no damage while enemies just ran up and suicided onto them so I feel like maybe I sort of ruined the game?

But like the way that damage is subtractive from your defense or whatever and how being only a few levels ahead makes you take 0 damage kinda seems really hard to be like at a place where the game is challenging but not ridiculous.

I started over to get Donnel knowing what I know now about how you should pair up all the time so I was always pairing up from the beginning and now my dudes are just like unstoppable and a bunch of them hit level 20 and reclassed already and they are just bossing the whole thing to an extent where fights are just kinda whatever

I didn't even grind all that long either, maybe just like 4-5 fights which only took like 30 mins since you can set to many things to fast and skip all the battle animations

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the difficulty curve doesn't permit any grinding. it doesn't even really permit playing well

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

But like the way that damage is subtractive from your defense or whatever and how being only a few levels ahead makes you take 0 damage kinda seems really hard to be like at a place where the game is challenging but not ridiculous.
this is why most fe games don't have grinding. if they can reasonably expect about what level you're at then they can make enemies that can damage you

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stefan Prodan posted:

To be honest I grinded a little bit with spotpass and reeking boxes and now I feel like the game is just too much easymode

Maybe it gets way harder, I just got to the first part where it timeskips a bit, but in the last few missions I did most of my main paired up dudes took literally no damage while enemies just ran up and suicided onto them so I feel like maybe I sort of ruined the game?

I started over to get Donnel knowing what I know now about how you should pair up all the time so I was always pairing up from the beginning and now my dudes are just like unstoppable and a bunch of them hit level 20 and reclassed already and they are just bossing the whole thing to an extent where fights are just kinda whatever

I didn't even grind all that long either, maybe just like 4-5 fights which only took like 30 mins since you can set to many things to fast and skip all the battle animations

What difficulty you on?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Normal, with permadeath

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the difficulty curve also doesn't sustain playing on normal

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
y

Stefan Prodan posted:

Normal, with permadeath

yeah that's your problem

normal is a total cakewalk. hard is better, if still a bit on hte easy side.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CeallaSo posted:

On the other hand, he will be quite powerful. Especially if you chose +Spd as your asset.

This is true of any kid you have, admittedly, but Laurent only has so many parents who can propel him from "a little more useful than gen 1" to "walking god of the battlefield."

The only two Laurents I've ever gotten were completely amazing -- one was sired by Virion, and one was sired by Vaike. I'm pretty sure the Virion one was only as awesome as he was because I decided to pair him up with Lucina because I'm pretty sure he didn't get any cool skills, but Laurent with Sol & Vengeance & Vaike-strength made a pretty awesome Dark Knight.

Also, why does everyone hate Laurent so much? His personality is awesome, as evidenced in his supports with Lucina, Noire, and Miriel. :)

edit: perhaps "awesome" is the wrong word, but still

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 4, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

YeahTubaMike posted:

The only two Laurents I've ever gotten were completely amazing -- one was sired by Virion, and one was sired by Vaike. I'm pretty sure the Virion one was only as awesome as he was because I decided to pair him up with Lucina because I'm pretty sure he didn't get any cool skills, but Laurent with Sol & Vengeance & Vaike-strength made a pretty awesome Dark Knight.

Also, why does everyone hate Laurent so much? His personality is awesome, as evidenced in his supports with Lucina, Noire, and Miriel. :)

edit: perhaps "awesome" is the wrong word, but still

I don't hate Laurent. I just like him less than everyone else. He's good as a straight man to wackier characters and as Vaike's son.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I liked Laurent making fun of Yarne.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was unaware it was possible to have a least favorite character other than Yarne.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was unaware it was possible to have a least favorite character other than Yarne.

Laurent is a strong contender at times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Even just Yarne's voice clips alone make him far worse than Laurent, in my humble opinion. "Don't mess with a bunny!" is just so horrible (though I kind of like "No, YOU go extinct! :mad: " :shobon: ), and his confession scene (spoiler for confession quote: I love you! Let's repopulate my species! ...Uh, sorry. Was that awkward? :catstare: ) made me regret marrying my avatar to him, even though so far he has given me the best Morgan ever.

At least Laurent is, at worst, simply boring.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I prefer Yarne simply because Laurent tends towards "Miriel, but boring."

Laurent is the better actual unit because of innate access to Sorcerer.

Junpei Hyde fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 4, 2015

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Junpei Hyde posted:

I prefer Yarns simply because Laurent tends towards "Miguel, but boring."

Who?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress autocorrect. I meant Miriel.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Ah, I thought maybe he was some character from a previous FE game, since Awakening is my first one.

Also, I'm not really sure how Miriel is less boring than Laurent. It seems like they're both basically the same in every way, except Laurent is younger and a dude. I like Miriel's spoken quotes a little better though.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

Even just Yarne's voice clips alone make him far worse than Laurent, in my humble opinion. "Don't mess with a bunny!" is just so horrible

how can one post be so wrong

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
What is it specifically that you LIKE about the "Don't mess with a bunny!" line? What is it about that line that DOESN'T annoy the poo poo out of you? :colbert:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
everything

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think one issue I sort of have with the game, besides the difficulty which I will put aside because as you guys mentioned I could change it if I want, is that the units seem to have so little variance as far as what they actually do. Like, some dudes can attack two spaces away and some dudes can move farther, but that seems to be like the only thing that actually separates them. I guess some have various weaknesses or whatever, but if you compare it to something like Final Fantasy Tactics where all the units do wildly different things with different AOE stuff and buffs/debuffs and like combining abilities and poo poo it just seems like whenever I think about which units to put in it just becomes like "Well I guess put in whoever is strongest because really what's the difference between a guy that turns into a dragon and a guy that hits someone with an axe, they're both just a person that attacks one other unit from one tile away" and that just kinda makes everything seem really samey

This is the first FE game I've ever played though so I mean maybe that's my fault for just being used to the other style of SRPG when this is more of like an Advance Wars kinda thing I guess

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fire Emblem strategy is based on positioning, not powers. However, Normal difficulty may be too easy to satisfyingly exercise that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fire emblem's simplicity has its own strengths but awakening doesn't really take advantage of that, the map design is too wide-open later in the game and the pair-up system is pretty busted

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said fates (the upcoming game in the series that was just released in japan) actually is playing around with that sort of thing, there's a subset of weapons that debuff enemies, every weapon has its own individual quirks, every character has a personal skill exclusive to them, etc. it's not as extreme as FFT but it's still something they're playing around with.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Wow, Donnell's a little loving monster once you can finally get him to spec into a real class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

5er posted:

Wow, Donnell's a little loving monster once you can finally get him to spec into a real class.

Real Country Power

• Locked thread