Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
casual just turns off permadeath, it's a separate option from difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And you're one-shotting everything because you grinded

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I decided to take a break from Priam's paralogue, and start tackling the Future Past 1. Well, the same thing is happening. Is it worth it to Rescue-stave the kids over to where you are, or is there another way?

Good luck using rescue staves.

To not be a sarcastic dick, they don't work in Future Past since they would trivialise the difficulty of the DLC.

In other news some jokers have actually managed to get Awakening running correctly on PC.

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/963

My mind is exploding with LP ideas!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

yeah same thing. game is awesome although it's way 2 easy now that i have it on casual, seem to be one shotting everything :iiam:
casual doesn't change enemy stats. it's that you're on normal, probably.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I just beat Awakening. Lol at having Chrom defeat Grima be an option at all, given the ending. Overall, I liked it a lot. Characters a pretty great for the most part, though there are some I didn't really care for at all, like Laurent. I wish you could get Priam much earlier. Also by the end, I don't know if I was just burned out or what, but it started to feel like a slog. There was something about some of the maps I didn't like either, but I'm not sure what it was. That theme on the final level, though.

I guess it's time to start FE4 proper now.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's the fact that the maps were squares with no features or objectives, that you didn't like about then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Normie Slayer posted:

I don't know if I was just burned out or what, but it started to feel like a slog. There was something about some of the maps I didn't like either, but I'm not sure what it was.
it's that they were all uninteresting wide open fields with no real gimmicks or tricks going on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah the map design is the biggest issue with Awakening

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I didn't mind the maps, and I actually like Laurent. I thought the Demon's Ingle map had a cool concept, even though it was super easy to avoid get roasted. Also, I thought fliers should have been immune to roasting, personally.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I took my male Robin through Mercenary for Armsthrift, and through Hero for Sol. He's a level 15 Hero right now and I'm not sure where to take him next, but I'd like his last class to be Grandmaster. Is there a consensus for the best final 5 skills for a male Robin? His flaw is Luck, and asset is Speed.

I have access to the DLC maps to grab Aggressor and Limit Breaker, and his wife is Lucina, for what it's worth. Wondering what I should pass down to Morgan while I'm at it.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 28, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pass down Axefaire because none of the other male only skills compare at all and Morgan can get everything else she wants on her own

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's that they were all uninteresting wide open fields with no real gimmicks or tricks going on.
Hey, that's not fair. A few of them are uninteresting series of corridors and rooms with no real gimmicks or tricks going on, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I think a bigger issue is how any halfway competent set-up turns every enemy into complete jokes who suicide into your party en masse and just make things take longer.

By endgame, Normal is pretty much a bad VN with a slog between every scene. I'm not sure if it's sad or hilarious that even then the game was too hard for the average player.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

FractalSandwich posted:

Hey, that's not fair. A few of them are uninteresting series of corridors and rooms with no real gimmicks or tricks going on, too.

Every Fire Emblem has a couple of those maps though.

Usually the field maps in other Fire Emblems have gimmicks at least (except everyone loving hates them because they're dumb poo poo like deserts, fog of war, fog of war deserts, "hope you brought fliers cause we're raising the water lol", etc) or some cool maps that are indoors and outdoors where you bust into castles/shrines.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

I think a bigger issue is how any halfway competent set-up turns every enemy into complete jokes who suicide into your party en masse and just make things take longer.

By endgame, Normal is pretty much a bad VN with a slog between every scene. I'm not sure if it's sad or hilarious that even then the game was too hard for the average player.

I'm up to this point now and i'm only 15 chapters in. :qq:. Enemies just suicide right into my team who one shot everything. The only time I have characters die is when i'm stupid enough to select a wryven rider to put in my team. They seem like the most useless characters ever. Do they become super OP in higher difficulties or something?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Chrom doesnt give birth in the game, his wife does. Though if you want him to, then I can assure you there are fanfics out there.

links plz

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

I'm up to this point now and i'm only 15 chapters in. :qq:. Enemies just suicide right into my team who one shot everything. The only time I have characters die is when i'm stupid enough to select a wryven rider to put in my team. They seem like the most useless characters ever. Do they become super OP in higher difficulties or something?

Wyvern Riders are tanky, mobile and hit hard, plus without reclassing Cherche is the only good axe user you get. You really shouldn't be having issues with a wyvern rider dying more than, say, a pegasus knight since they have the same weaknesses but trade off Attack for Speed and Defense for Resistance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

As a class, Wyvern Rider is actually pretty loving good in the early game. You can make some of the less useful characters (Panne, Virion) much better just by reclassing them into Wyvern Rider. The problem that class line has is in its skill set; they have like one half decent skill in Deliverer and the rest are kinda bad or at best situational (Breaker skills). I wish they'd have kept lances as the wyvern's primary and given Wyvern Lord Lancefaire instead of Falcon Knight. It'd really help people like Cherche and Panne while also allowing more of the guys access to Lancefaire.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Abu Dave posted:

When they're developed they have a lot of utility. A lot of endgame teams will run a core of units that have rally skills and healing staves. Usually you'll have a pair of streetpass tacticians for the rallies and usually Emmeryn/Lissa/Maribelle as healers because of their naturally high intelligence growth and their access to good healing classes, as well as the fact that you don't really have to spend time levelling them up.

The aim of the game then is to have units be able to hit enemies before they can strike back, either using a galeforce move or rescue staves to bring them back so they can be healed and rallied for the next turn. Wyvern Lords are excellent because as support classes they hit very very hard from the back row of a pair up due to their high natural strength and their very high movement lets their lead partner strike enemies that are strategically high priority targets, but very far away from the main team, such as Sorcs with Mire tomes. You also dodge the disadvantage of Wyvern lords because you can tactically ensure that they never fight magic users up front.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 29, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really use them as supports which is probably my problem. Thanks for the tips all.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

As a class, Wyvern Rider is actually pretty loving good in the early game. You can make some of the less useful characters (Panne, Virion) much better just by reclassing them into Wyvern Rider. The problem that class line has is in its skill set; they have like one half decent skill in Deliverer and the rest are kinda bad or at best situational (Breaker skills). I wish they'd have kept lances as the wyvern's primary and given Wyvern Lord Lancefaire instead of Falcon Knight. It'd really help people like Cherche and Panne while also allowing more of the guys access to Lancefaire.

If you're not grinding and playing the regular game (as in most primary units will hit like 20/15/15 at max unless they have Veteran) Wyvern Rider has some really solid skills. Strength +2 isn't impressive from an endgame standpoint but +2 damage all game long is pretty handy. Tantivy + Quick Burn is +20-25 avoid, which is pretty significant, especially if combined with other avoid increasing skills like Panne's Even Rhythm and/or a +Speed/Luck pair up like Swordmaster. Avoid stacking, plus Dual Guard, plus good concrete physical durability leads to the Wyvern classes being able to take on a lot of enemies, even on Lunatic. 8+2 flying movement is also great, too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

As I am a grinder by nature (thanks dlc!), I've liked Wyvern Lord for where to leave a guy at once I'm done grinding a unit through everything else I've wanted to. If I could get Galeforce on Cherche, Gerome would be the biggest jerk bastard in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

If you're not grinding and playing the regular game (as in most primary units will hit like 20/15/15 at max unless they have Veteran) Wyvern Rider has some really solid skills. Strength +2 isn't impressive from an endgame standpoint but +2 damage all game long is pretty handy. Tantivy + Quick Burn is +20-25 avoid, which is pretty significant, especially if combined with other avoid increasing skills like Panne's Even Rhythm and/or a +Speed/Luck pair up like Swordmaster. Avoid stacking, plus Dual Guard, plus good concrete physical durability leads to the Wyvern classes being able to take on a lot of enemies, even on Lunatic. 8+2 flying movement is also great, too.

I think you are way, way overrating the use of Quick Burn, Even Rhythm, or Tantivy. Str +2 is really useful for the early game though yea.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think you are way, way overrating the use of Quick Burn, Even Rhythm, or Tantivy. Str +2 is really useful for the early game though yea.

Avoid gets significantly better as you stack it, thanks to True Hit. For instance, on my late game Lunatic save I have a Panne (who went something like 10 Taguel/10 Wyvern Rider/20 Wyvern Lord/4 Griffon Rider at this point) with S-rank Lon'qu pair up that hits 124 avoid on Turn 1 and 133 avoid on Turn 2. She's facing sub-30 displayed hit rates against pretty much all enemies on Chapter 23 (which is the map I'm currently at) other than Assassins. That's actual hit rates in the teens. Assassins are dangerous as poo poo but most enemies can't reliably touch her and 3-4HKO even when they do. This is on Lunatic where every enemy has Hit +10, A weapon ranks and +20 Hit forges. On Hard you can easily stack even slower units like Cherche to similar hit rates while Panne will be literally untouchable outside of maybe Grima.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Chrom and the Black Knight were just added to Smash as Mii Swordfighter costumes.

Now you too can have a tiny Black Knight of your own

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Raserys posted:

Chrom and the Black Knight were just added to Smash as Mii Swordfighter costumes.

Now you too can have a tiny Black Knight of your own

How silly. I like it!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trying to play through this on lunatic as a first run through (I usually play everything on the hardest or next to hardest even as a first time run through), and it seems nearly undoable. You have like one course of action total (pairing someone with frederick and hoping no one else gets attacked, ever), and it feels like battles are actually mathematically impossible without lucky misses by the AI. If the AI gets lucky at any point and is missed or counters, instant loss.

Are you supposed to import characters or equipment or something before attempting lunatic, or is it really designed to be literally one solution scenarios that probably can't be beaten w/o luck?

It took like an hour to figure out and get lucky enough to win the prologue map.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Just play on hard.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Just play on hard.

It's not a question of "hoping" the right people get attacked, though. Enemies always gun for the most vulnerable target they can get to. Most of the game is in managing positioning such that they can only attack who you want them to.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BabyRyoga posted:

Trying to play through this on lunatic as a first run through (I usually play everything on the hardest or next to hardest even as a first time run through), and it seems nearly undoable. You have like one course of action total (pairing someone with frederick and hoping no one else gets attacked, ever), and it feels like battles are actually mathematically impossible without lucky misses by the AI. If the AI gets lucky at any point and is missed or counters, instant loss.

Are you supposed to import characters or equipment or something before attempting lunatic, or is it really designed to be literally one solution scenarios that probably can't be beaten w/o luck?

It took like an hour to figure out and get lucky enough to win the prologue map.

Oh god, please play on hard. Hard will be plenty challenging for your first run-through without being unfun bullshit like Lunatic is. Actually it's plenty challenging on any run-through. I've never played on anything but hard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why would you ever stat a game you aren't familiar with on the highest level? Especially here where Lunatic is just barely short of the AI blatantly cheating?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Geostomp posted:

Why would you ever stat a game you aren't familiar with on the highest level? Especially here where Lunatic is just barely short of the AI blatantly cheating?

And then you find out about the difficulty mode that does have the AI blatantly cheat.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Geostomp posted:

Most games aren't designed to basically cheat on the hardest level available innately, and I tend not to replay things too often. Might as well get the most from it on the first run. I think I'll go back down to hard on this one, though. Seems unfun to try and slog through a mode designed to require luck.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't require luck to beat Lunatic. Any more than "getting some good early level ups" I mean, but whatever. Lunatic+, sure.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fire Emblem is one of those games where avoiding reliance on luck requires practice, so you should not start on Lunatic for that reason if for no other. Another good reason to not start on Lunatic is because Lunatic is a bad difficulty setting.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I'm borrowing a friend's 3ds and copy of the game to try and farm second seals off of streetpass, but nothing's showing up. Granted, I just set it up a moment ago, but is there a surefire way to get it to work?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many times can you reclass someone at the max level?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

How many times can you reclass someone at the max level?

As many times as you have Second Seals.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What about Master Seals then? Can you get to 20 then do it all over again non stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Abu Dave posted:

What about Master Seals then? Can you get to 20 then do it all over again non stop?

Yeah, you can level up infinitely though your experience earned goes down as you accumulate levels until it bottoms out at 8/kill.

• Locked thread