Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember complaining months ago tbay they are selling the new FE as 2 games and everyone said it'll never happen in the English release
:/
they each have as much content as any other FE game though, so who cares. you're getting value for your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I remember complaining months ago tbay they are selling the new FE as 2 games and everyone said it'll never happen in the English release
:/

I really loving hate Nintendo for not putting it in bold words that it's two full games, because literally everyone that streamed the direct didn't know.

Also don't buy fates if two games other you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah nintendo is handling this really dumbly, since they actually can say 'each game has 40 unique maps' and they wouldn't be telling a lie whatsoever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just change the Fire Emblem thread title to say it's two games.

Every one of them.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Just change the Fire Emblem thread title to say it's two games.

Every one of them.

Also the 3DS thread. And the Wii U thread.

And the Vita thread.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is this a good skillset?

Vaike!Nah@Hero - Limit Breaker/Axefaire/Luna/Pavise/Swordbreaker

The idea being to pair her with a Galeboy, have him kill something, then retreat and switch to Nah who will then tank hits on the enemy turn.

While we're at it:

Frederick!Yarne@Berserker - Limit Breaker/Aggressor/Axefaire/Pavise/Aegis

Idea is the same. Pair with a Galegirl, let her retreat and switch to Yarne who will tank the hits on the enemy turn.

Yarne has pretty lovely defenses, but with the two defensive procs, I'm hoping he can survive a hit or two. Nah has poo poo Res, so Aegis would have been better, but with smart positioning, I'm thinking I can keep her away from mages and let her soak up physical hits. Is this completely stupid?

Also, is speed or defenses more important in Apotheosis? I ask because Kjelle is my slowest unit as a Paladin, but she'd be a bit quicker as a Hero. I plan to pair her with Inigo. Should I make him a Hero or an Assassin to boost Kjelle's speed even more?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 13, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
To the above: The final question helps answer the first two. In Apotheosis unless you're doing calculations on every enemy unit (spoilers, not many people do and when they do they defer to Zoran because he's right) you broadly speaking can only do a limited level of prediction for enemy phases. Given enemies that have counter/luna+/Aether, often you can't rely on defenses to work out 100% of the time, especially given that Aegis/Pavise activation rates are always going to be below 100%.

A lot of the time it'll be fine and work out, but you could end up losing units just because of stuff you don't predict. This is basically unlike anything other mission in the game which is ordinarily played incredibly defensively. The prevailing strategy on Apotheosis is a sortof strike and fade tactic as a result, wherein you attack with your galeforce units and use rescue staff users to resummon them to the middle of the field for rallies the next turn, as well as Goddess staff healing.

So the most important thing is ensuring that you have the speed to double anything important so you get as many guaranteed galeforce procs as possible. This means a few units that break 75 speed after all buffs so they can double the fastest units and then everyone else at at least 69 speed after buffs so they can double everything else (I prefer just getting as many people over 75 as possible because I am a lazy bad who can't be arsed with dealing with differences in his units).

Of course this then informs the remainder of your questions. I don't know who Kjelle's husband is or father, so I can't really say if speed is important on her. My instinct is to say yes, but you might have a Gaius Kjelle or something.

So the Vaike!Nah setup is fine because hero is a good support class, but Luna and Pavise are completely wasted since she's never coming out of support if you're not using her on defense. You could grab another breaker and all stats +2 or some other poo poo I'm not thinking of.

Fred!Yarne is the same, get rid of Pavise and Aegis, add in a breaker if you've inherited one and AS+2 for more beatings.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have a Donnel!Kjelle. And yeah, I was reading around on my own about Apotheosis and it seems Speed is definitely the key, as you said, but even then, with Rallies and Pair Ups and the like, even the slowest unit in the game can double all the enemies in the game with no trouble so...yeah. I'll just go with the highest attack stat/mobility in the case of Kjelle.

As far as Nah and Yarne go, if they're support units, do their skills like the Breakers help the lead unit as well? In that case, yeah, a bunch of breakers, plus Limit Breaker and a Faire would probably be really useful, no?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering whether Assassin or Dread Fighter was a better support class for Owain when he's supporting his wife Sniper Noire. I know Assassin gives more Skill which is tied to whether or not the unit will double attack, but Dread Fighter has higher attacking stats for when Owain does double attack. What's the chance of double attacking with Assassin vs. Dread Fighter?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I don't know the answers to your technical questions, but Owain was born to be a Dread Fighter and no one can tell me otherwise. :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Reinanigans posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I was wondering whether Assassin or Dread Fighter was a better support class for Owain when he's supporting his wife Sniper Noire. I know Assassin gives more Skill which is tied to whether or not the unit will double attack, but Dread Fighter has higher attacking stats for when Owain does double attack. What's the chance of double attacking with Assassin vs. Dread Fighter?

Who are their parents and are you planning to do Apotheosis?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Who are their parents and are you planning to do Apotheosis?

Lon'qu!Owain and Gaius!Noire, and yeah, this is for Apotheosis.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Assassin. Gaius!Noire @ Sniper really loves the +9 speed.

(Sage is still better though.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zoran posted:

Assassin. Gaius!Noire @ Sniper really loves the +9 speed.

(Sage is still better though.)

Sage is still better just for Owain, or is it still better for the pair overall? Obviously the +4 to Magic will do nothing for Sniper Noire, so is there something I'm missing?

I guess since most of the damage comes from the support character, you'd want the support character to be as strong as possible...and Magic is better than Attack in Apotheosis...Blegh. I think I get it now. I was placing too much emphasis on the pair-up bonus, and not thinking about how much damage the support character would be doing.

Whelp. I'll try Apotheosis with Sage Owain and if I can clear it, I'll switch him over to Dread Fighter as intended.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Honestly, if you're using Limit Breaker + Rallies and you're not making silly moves, then you'll be fine using whatever classes you want.

But yes, Sage Owain x Sniper Noire will be best for damage output. That pair will be useful for Thronie.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Reinanigans posted:

Sage is still better just for Owain, or is it still better for the pair overall? Obviously the +4 to Magic will do nothing for Sniper Noire, so is there something I'm missing?

I guess since most of the damage comes from the support character, you'd want the support character to be as strong as possible...and Magic is better than Attack in Apotheosis...Blegh. I think I get it now. I was placing too much emphasis on the pair-up bonus, and not thinking about how much damage the support character would be doing.

Whelp. I'll try Apotheosis with Sage Owain and if I can clear it, I'll switch him over to Dread Fighter as intended.

I mean, the damage output on Sage is higher, but DF gives you three weapon options which is useful when dealing with bullshit tomebreaker enemies.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean, the damage output on Sage is higher, but DF gives you three weapon options which is useful when dealing with bullshit tomebreaker enemies.

So what you're saying is...Owain SHOULD be a Dread Fighter.

:getin:

(I like Owain's goony rear end way too much)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Make him a goddamn Dread Fighter, Reinanigans.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zoran posted:

Make him a goddamn Dread Fighter, Reinanigans.

Yeah, sorry, I'll stop spamming the thread. It's just crazy that after however many years of playing this game, poo poo like pair-up bonuses, and whether certain abilities work on a support character still eluded me. The game is so easy on a normal playthrough that I never bothered to learn this stuff.

It's a lot like Pokemon's EVs and IVs and such in that respect.

At this point I think I have enough of a grasp to just finish grinding out my last people and finally give Apotheosis a whirl to grab Katarina and do the hard version.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm am all but convinced that Dread Fighter was designed solely by Owain, for Owain. He's got to have at least dozen sketches in his stories on how to get the menacing glow and asymmetry just right.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I had a dream that there was a third-generation female non-Morgan character with red hair and she had these weird double skills like Luck +8 that you could pass down to a fourth-generation Morgan. :pwn:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Geostomp posted:

I'm am all but convinced that Dread Fighter was designed solely by Owain, for Owain. He's got to have at least dozen sketches in his stories on how to get the menacing glow and asymmetry just right.

I'm afraid to tell you that Dreadfighter was long before Owain's time.

But drat if Dread Fighter isn't the class for Owain for all time!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I had a dream that there was a third-generation female non-Morgan character with red hair and she had these weird double skills like Luck +8 that you could pass down to a fourth-generation Morgan. :pwn:

I had a dream where me and my friends trolled Vladimir Putin so hard that Russia descended into civil war and we had to escape. This escape took the route of us shooting a bunch of Shreks in a cave with shotguns.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That's pretty epic, dude

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I don't dream anymore.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

It sounds like you're confusing Awakening with that leaked prototype for the endless dynamically-generated Fire Emblem x Crusader Kings game that they're making with Paradox.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So today, the thread's team just DESTROYED Apotheosis. They never stood a chance. The only scare was when Gerome failed to dual strike twice in a row and Cynthia got hit by an Aether, but she tanked it like a trooper and got through.

MVP units had to be Sniper Noire/Assassin Inigo and Sniper Robin/Berserker Yarne. Longbows are so goddamn dirty, they just completely bypass the entire map. Full formations would just die in a hail of arrows before they even knew what was happening. In a way it was a little disappointing, just compared to how goddamn difficult my first Apotheosis run was back when nobody knew anything about the game and people were convinced Vantage Vengeance was the way to deal with Apotheosis.

In any case, now that I've beaten the game on both sides and with an elected team, I'm pretty satisfied I've seen everything I could want to see in the game (for real this time). Fates could not come out fast enough. Also thanks to the thread for the team decisions, they ended up being really fun to play around with.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I haven't played any other game than this in like...six months? I messed around with Smash Bros. when the DLC characters came out, but I've gone all in on Awakening. I don't know what's going to become of me when not one, not two, but THREE more Fire Emblem games release simultaneously. :ohdear: I may never see the sun or my wife's beautiful face again.

I know there's a dedicated Fates thread, as well as a general FE thread, but briefly, how does each of the Fates games stack up in terms on content vs. Awakening? Is one of the three versions particularly well liked above the others or anything?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Here's objective information:

Each of the Fates campaigns have as much, if not more, content than Awakening.

Birthright (Hoshido) has the ability to grind, Conquest (Nohr) does not. Revelation (combined roster) lets you grind, but only available if you buy the other games first.

Digital versions of the games cost 20 if you own at least 1 version prior.

Outside of the first 5 or so maps, the campaigns rarely share maps if at all and have around 28 unique characters for Birthright and Conquest's roster recrtuiment.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So today, the thread's team just DESTROYED Apotheosis. They never stood a chance. The only scare was when Gerome failed to dual strike twice in a row and Cynthia got hit by an Aether, but she tanked it like a trooper and got through.

MVP units had to be Sniper Noire/Assassin Inigo and Sniper Robin/Berserker Yarne. Longbows are so goddamn dirty, they just completely bypass the entire map. Full formations would just die in a hail of arrows before they even knew what was happening. In a way it was a little disappointing, just compared to how goddamn difficult my first Apotheosis run was back when nobody knew anything about the game and people were convinced Vantage Vengeance was the way to deal with Apotheosis.

In any case, now that I've beaten the game on both sides and with an elected team, I'm pretty satisfied I've seen everything I could want to see in the game (for real this time). Fates could not come out fast enough. Also thanks to the thread for the team decisions, they ended up being really fun to play around with.

Glad you enjoyed it

Tae posted:

Here's objective information:

Each of the Fates campaigns have as much, if not more, content than Awakening.

Birthright (Hoshido) has the ability to grind, Conquest (Nohr) does not. Revelation (combined roster) lets you grind, but only available if you buy the other games first.

Digital versions of the games cost 20 if you own at least 1 version prior.

Outside of the first 5 or so maps, the campaigns rarely share maps if at all and have around 28 unique characters for Birthright and Conquest's roster recrtuiment.

To expand on some of the points Tae made:

Conquest also has a great deal of varied objectives (and side objectives) compared to Awakening.

Revelations can be bought digitally as long as you own at least one of the former two. It also combines a couple elements from both of the other two stories (though from what I've heard, it's harder to actually grind units past a level that makes you able to easily break the Revelation Campaign's difficulty in half so it mostly serves to bring units up to equal form of your best ones, and the objectives are less varied than Conquest's).

Shared maps between campaigns usually have a reason for them being shared, and if not they tend to have something that distinguishes them from the other version(s)'s take on the map.

The having the majority of the characters being exclusive to one or two of the versions also lets them use the playable cast in a couple interesting ways while still giving you the freedom to use your favorite unit with no strings attached in at least one story. It also means that many of the usual archetypes (like Navarre or Est) that Fire Emblem tend to use are absent, with the few that actually did make it in being played with in interesting ways (the standouts being the Jagen and the Cain & Abel archetypes).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Additional objective information: All three campaigns have the same DLC chapters available, though the content may differ based on which campaign you're playing. The DLC is repeatable, even in Conquest; it works largely as it did in Awakening, right down to having a few maps that are designed specifically for grinding.

The "My Castle" feature is used for, among other things, the multiplayer features, which are primarily StreetPass-based and fully interoperable between the three campaigns. You can recruit copies of characters from other players' games as Awakening-style bonus characters (even characters exclusive to the opposite campaign), as well as teach your characters skills or buy them items that would not normally be available in your current campaign.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The DLC is repeatable, even in Conquest; it works largely as it did in Awakening, right down to having a few maps that are designed specifically for grinding.
However, you don't get any experience from the DLC that is not the EXP focused DLC in Conquest. Apparently.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

A lot of the dlc maps have you controlling fixed parties separate from your game progress iirc.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
You can use the My Castle battle feature to support grind in Conquest, in the case you want to unlock every single paralogue.

Paralogues works different in that it scales in level in regard towards your progress in the game. A good way of playing Conquest is to unlock as many paralogues as possible, then alternate between story and side mission to maximize exp gain.

Having finish the Japanese version for all three games on Lunatic, my impressions on the difficulties compared to Awakening:

Birthright is a difficulty between Hard and Lunatic Awakening. From what I can tell, the difference between Hard and Lunatic in Birthright, is 20% more enemies (either pre-deployed or reinforcements) and slightly more HP on enemies. Only the last chapter gives enemy soldiers noteworthy skills.

Conquest is a whole other beast. It's not just the fact there's no grinding, less total gold and difficult mission objectives. Enemies right from the start can pack some nasty skill combinations, there's more slayer type weapons, and dangerous enemy types. Late-game Elite Ninjas will tear your army apart. There's even some Lunatic+ bullshit like infinite 10 range spamming status staves, ones that include a permanent debuff to your max HP and a skill that can keep stacking debuffs until they reach 1 point. I'd say Conquest Hard is much harder than Birthright/Revelations Lunatic.

I actually found Revelations easier than Birthright. The map gimmicks aren't that hard to deal with, and you get more chokepoints to form a stronger defensive formation. You have access to both Nohr and Hoshido armories and army. You do get less gold than Conquest, but there's more treasure to be found and more S rank weapons. You do have less deployment slots, but Fire Emblem has always been quality of units over quanity.

Core gameplay can still change in the final localized product, but with the inclusion of baby mode, there's no real reason Nintendo should make the game harder or easier for western audiences.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Ephraim posted:

ones that include a permanent debuff to your max HP

what the gently caress

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TheKingofSprings posted:

what the gently caress

Yeah, seriously? Permanent until your next level up, or HP+ item, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

by 'permanent' he means 'until the end of the chapter'

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Oops, yeah, it's only until the end of the chapter.

You encounter this staff through out Conquest but it only has a base hit rate of 60% that can be reduced by resistance and normally 3 uses. It's only a pain in the rear end for one chapter.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

fates is going to be so epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boy if that makes you scared, wait until you find out enemies can reverse-Rescue your units to their territory.

• Locked thread