Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm fairly certain Frederick is voiced by Dan Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Someone earlier said you can get the old style battle prediction screen back somehow?

I think you get it by having the "full" stats screen on the bottom rather than the summary. I wouldn't swear to that though.

The full status screen is way more useful anyways, just like the old battle window.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So, Lunatic mode in the demo. 9 str/12 spd myrms at lvl 1. They can 2 shot Krom. Mages with El- lvl tomes. Boss has 14 str and 34 HP and the Throwing Ax upgrade.. This is all in the prologue level, mind. :suicide:

As a side note, how is AS calculated in this game? I noticed that weapons don't have a weight stat, but 4 spd on a target does not a double attack make.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BrightWing posted:

So, Lunatic mode in the demo. 9 str/12 spd myrms at lvl 1. They can 2 shot Krom. Mages with El- lvl tomes. Boss has 14 str and 34 HP and the Throwing Ax upgrade.. This is all in the prologue level, mind. :suicide:

As a side note, how is AS calculated in this game? I noticed that weapons don't have a weight stat, but 4 spd on a target does not a double attack make.

AS is jsut speed. Weight is entirely gone. You need a 5-spd advantage to double, not just 4.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

BrightWing posted:

The prologue is pretty easy. Frederick can one shot the myrms and mages and gets 5HKO'd by the barbarians. Even the boss doesn't one shot Chrom or Avatar (though Avatar needs speed as an asset to avoid being doubled.) Chapter 1 is where things get tougher with mercs that can double base Chrom, Sully and +Speed Avatar and a barbarian with a hammer that can one shot Fred. Plus all the enemies immediately charge you and everyone that isn't Frederick is 3HKOing enemies at best so you just get overwhelmed. I've been throwing myself at this for more than an hour now and haven't made much progress.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Just tried the demo out, first-person view during battle sequences sure are a thing.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Just tried the demo out, first-person view during battle sequences sure are a thing.

It's pretty cool with the horse.

MMania
May 7, 2008

BrightWing posted:

Haha Lunatic mode, didn't check stats on the swordsman on the right in the first level and sent MU over to get in a hit. He was doubled and killed at the beginning of the first enemy phase.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also, the stubby little feet the character models have makes me think everyone is a victim of foot-binding. :stonk:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Or that it's just an artstyle. Seriously why are people hung up on that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think the stubby little feet are cute :3:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

I think some people are getting Rob Liefeld flashbacks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eehhh never mind I do not want to stir up poo poo.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Alacron posted:

I think some people are getting Rob Liefeld flashbacks.

The Lyn DLC will obliterate them in that case

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

I don't know that people are hung up on it but it's an odd style. It just stands out is all.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Before now I had never even considered buying a 3DS. loving hell.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Jesus god I want this game. Best loving series.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I made a terrible mistake in getting the demo. Feb 4 is too far awaaaayyy

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm really digging the variety of attack animations in this one. Every time I see a new one I think it's going to be a critical since the GBA one's have been engrained on me.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I'm starting to be glad I couldn't get my 3DS to connect to my router. I don't want to have my productivity to die just yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find myself fast-forwarding through the magic animations already, but the weapon attacks are just what the doctor ordered.

The feet are so stubby they resemble hooves; it looks like I am commanding an army of mutated bipedal centaurs and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I may turn on Casual mode when I attempt the highest difficulty levels, not for the novelty of expendable characters (though that will enable new strategies) but for the possibility of savescumming for good levels.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SC Bracer posted:

I made a terrible mistake in getting the demo. Feb 4 is too far awaaaayyy

This is how I'm feelin' too. The demo is just long enough to make you want to keep going but too short to really see anything of note. It's frustrating!!

I did notice that Normal felt really easy, though these do seem to be the introductory levels. I plan on using Casual anyway (for that Shining Force experience!) so I might try it on Hard instead.

EDIT: also the stat gains seem pretty big in this game. Both Chrom and MU got 5-6 stats on level up. MU got 6 and said "Sometimes I surprise even myself!" Yeah, no poo poo dude.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 18, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I find myself fast-forwarding through the magic animations already, but the weapon attacks are just what the doctor ordered.

I've been watching some videos and I can't tell if all magic attacks are just that ball animation. Is that just for the 1st tier line of tri-element tomes? I sure hope the 2nd/3rd tier tomes have better animations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Levantine posted:

EDIT: also the stat gains seem pretty big in this game. Both Chrom and MU got 5-6 stats on level up. MU got 6 and said "Sometimes I surprise even myself!" Yeah, no poo poo dude.

Chrom only got 2 stats when he leveled up in mind, so that's just some of the usual variance.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
I'm finally going to start playing in Casual Mode. Sorry, self respect, it's just too great not having to restart just because some useless person you didn't even want died.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Anyone know how many units you get to take with you into battle for endgame? The cast appears to be somewhat large, but nowhere as crazy or useless as FE12's pickings.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
You do get all those DLC characters too. Buckets and buckets of crazy and useless DLC characters.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Eddain posted:

Anyone know how many units you get to take with you into battle for endgame? The cast appears to be somewhat large, but nowhere as crazy or useless as FE12's pickings.

Spoiler about max units fieldable in the final mission and until then, no story spoilers.

16 units in total for the final mission, but 10-14 until then, usually, with the number increasing as the game goes on.

At least on hard; might be different for other difficulties.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Because I don't know what else to ask...I beat both of the GBA Fire Emblems when they came out. How does this one compare in difficulty? If I remember correctly Fire Emblem was much harder than Sacred Stones -I vaguely remember being able to grind like crazy which I couldn't stop myself from doing.

Mmmm Im getting my 3DS tomorrow in anticipation. So excited for this game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I can't even beat the first stage on Lunatic. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Because I don't know what else to ask...I beat both of the GBA Fire Emblems when they came out. How does this one compare in difficulty? If I remember correctly Fire Emblem was much harder than Sacred Stones -I vaguely remember being able to grind like crazy which I couldn't stop myself from doing.

Mmmm Im getting my 3DS tomorrow in anticipation. So excited for this game.

There are multiple difficult levels so it isn't something you can give a clear answer on. It allows grinding and has some exploitable mechanics but it also has higher difficulty levels which make that necessary.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only way I've been able to consistently get through chapter one in lunatic is to pair Chrom with Frederick, put Fred on the fort, and pray to dodge the hammer.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr Pepper posted:

I can't even beat the first stage on Lunatic. :negative:

Same. :negative: I'm at least confident of my ability to play on Hard, I only lost on stage 1 because I made a stupid positioning error that got Chrom killed, the prologue was fine. All I can say is thank god for Casual mode because I know there's no way in hell I'd get through Lunatic without it, to say nothing of Insane above it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
All these responses make me want this game even more. I can't even get the demo because my stupid school's wifi isn't compatible with the 3DS. :negative:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The prologue on Lunatic's not that bad. At least, if you let Fred do most of the heavy liftng. Chapter 1 on the other hand is going end up with my 3ds on the wall at this rate STOP RUSHING ME YOU CORPSE-THINGS :negative:

e: VV I beat it by letting Fred kill all the myrmidons and the mage, since he can one-shot them even on Lunatic.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 18, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I just played the demo as the first time playing this series, so I guess I am buying this when it comes out.

I breezed through the Easy, and Hard was not bad at all (though I let the archer die at the end) but for the life of me I can't get past the first turn of Lunatic :negative: either Chrom or my dude gets critted or get surrounded and die horribly

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Does anyone know how much the special edition 3DS costs if you trade in a regular 3DS? I can't find a solid price beyond the regular $200.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Getting past Lunatic Prologue:

Turn 1, make sure everyone not-Fred is positioned out of the range of those two axemen on the far left and far right, then send Fred to the right of the swordsman in the middle and kill him. That way the bottom rightmost swordsman will suicide against Fred on the enemy turn and the axemen'll be left at low enough HP for Chrom and Avatar to finish them off. Then have Fred kill the mage that moved down. The next turn all the non-boss enemies from the top of the map'll move down, kill the last mage with Fred, move Chrom and Avatar just out of the range of the nearest enemies, end turn, the last swordsmen'll suicide against Fred again, finish off the two axemen with Krom and Avatar again, then all you have to worry about is healing and hoping the boss doesn't crit. Just to be safe, end Fred's turn in the range of the boss without attacking, then finish him on your next turn.

Still struggling through Lunatic Ch. 1 though.

Omniphile fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 18, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The options menu is pretty involved. Anyone know how many music tracks there are to pick from in the full game?

And yes I can turn off all non-battle animations at once. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Paper_Masochist posted:

I'm finally going to start playing in Casual Mode. Sorry, self respect, it's just too great not having to restart just because some useless person you didn't even want died.

Casual owns. You can crank the difficulty all the way up to Lunatic and the game becomes this nice challenge instead of this nerve-wracking ordeal that will leave you a neurotic mess.

• Locked thread