Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

RuBisCO posted:

Demo is up (Canada) go wild :supaburn:

Demo is up in the US now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that they didn't include any customization in the demo, but it's probably to keep the download as small as possible.

Also, the very first enemy attack critted and killed Lissa. So yes, it's still Fire Emblem, and I'm still bad at it.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Ugh. Called my local Target and was cheerfully told that yes! They do have copies of Awakening in stock! Also they're not allowed to sell it to me until Wednesday.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. The guy I asked actually said a lot of other people tried to buy it also, which is probably a good thing for Nintendo.

On the other hand gently caress waiting a few days for retail stores to get their acts together. I just bought it on the eShop instead. I wanted a physical copy, but I'll just (poorly) draw a Fire Emblem logo on my SD card and call it even.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

thetrin posted:

Er wait, you're in Chapter 12, and Donny is still using bronze weapons?

The "problem" is that while villager only has access to spears, neither of his promotion options can use them.

It's not a real problem because by the time I class changed him to Mercenary, he was able to keep up and exceed everyone else even with a terrible bronze sword.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yeah, I meant to say reclass instead of promote.

It's probably worth sticking it out in Villager until you get Underdog at level 15, but that is only if you want him to be completely overpowered instead of merely super overpowered. After that, turn him into a real class and watch him solo entire maps.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Color Printer posted:

I also kinda wanted it to happen since I wanted to see how the game handled it if neither Chrom nor my Avatar defeated Grima. I'm guessing the game pops the question even if you "defeat" Grima with Chrom or Avatar?

Yep, pretty much. Either way it pops up a window with "Should Chrom kill Grima?" then "Should Avatar kill Grima?" if you answer no to the first one.

My Morgan actually managed to proc a critical Lethality on the final boss. At least it looked cool even if it didn't work.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Girafro posted:

I'll admit the enemy AI in this one is really good, I just don't see why it needs my characters to be made of jello to be hard.
The AI in the game seems to be pretty lovely in my opinion, actually. It's not really that smart, and it seems to rely more on the target's class instead of trying for any real chance of success. My first game ended with Sumia with the most kills by a huge amount, because the AI went BEEP BOOP DARK FLYER KILL IT instead of actually going for the weaker units around her. (Well, and Galeforce, but that is a separate issue.)

I'm currently only playing on hard, but I've seen entire enemy forces just repeatedly run to the same square, try to kill the same caster, miss, and get zapped by the counterattack. The AI will ignore weakened melee units, including ones that are much lower level, to try and gang up on the "weaker" casters behind them.

The fact that almost every enemy past a certain point has a ranged weapon just makes the whole situation worse. What good is a tanky unit and choke points if enemies can just keep tossing axes at the casters behind them? Considering how fragile units are in general, it just makes Nosferatu-wielding Dark Mages even better. The only way one of your units can keep up with the incoming damage is to lifesteal it off the enemy, and Nosferatu is both easier to get and more effective then Sol or other self-heals. Combine that with the sorta-bad maps, and each battle turns into the enemy suiciding onto the same target over and over.

To be fair, this is only the second Fire Emblem game I've played, and this is still one of my favorite games of the last couple years. It's just that the AI makes the questionable game balance and the upside-down difficulty curve more apparent then it would be otherwise. It's still a great game and the inevitable sequel will hopefully fix some of these issues.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure the AI chooses targets the same way it does in the DS games, at least in hard and lunatic--it first checks if it can kill any of your party members, and if not, attacks whoever it'd do the most damage to. Your current hp only matters if you're one hit from death--otherwise, only your def and res matter for who the AI will target.

Well, that sounds about right. Like I said, I really haven't played that many other Fire Emblem games; the other one I played was The Sacred Stones, which I guess was pretty different then the rest of them.

It's just that purely looking at Def/Res means that the AI goes on a wild goose chase after dodgy/life-stealing/paired up units instead of attacking units it has a chance of reasonably damaging. It's jut very shortsighted, makes it easy to exploit, and doesn't really provide the feeling of fighting another person. Instead it just plays like, well, a video game AI going after what it thinks is the easiest target.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The "Talk!" box doesn't show up unless the recruiting unit is within range, so maybe that is throwing you off?

I've always used Chrom too, due to deadly arrow-related reasons.

Edit: beaten by a few seconds.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It dumps you back out, leaving you with an "Endgame" save that is right before starting the final map.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Color Printer posted:

There's only one left, Priam, who's pretty much unrelated to the plot anyway.

Also they'd have to try really loving hard to write an even remotely plausible reason for why Validar joins your party.

EDIT: Also he's your father so you couldn't get S rank with him :v:

I dunno, they could have easily bullshitted something about Validar changing his mind, because he didn't think Grima was going to be so evil. Or, he felt that he owed Grima for resurrecting him after the assassination attempt but now wants to help his child.

Sure, it's dumb, but its not really that much stupider then I'm your brother... FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION! or Walhart conquers death, then stands around in a graveyard for no reason.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

The Shortest Path posted:

It might be that Lethality works by adding their current HP to your attack, and then it all gets halved but can still be enough to kill them. Or something.

A lot of the deeper mechanics like that are still unknown, even for the Japanese community that's had several more months than us to be figuring them out.

Lethality just full-stop kills the target. It doesn't matter if it crits, gets halved by Pavise, or is caused by someone wielding a log. The visible damage component is just for appearances, and for fighting people immune to instant kill attacks (Grima and Validar, and maybe a few DLC people, I'm not really familiar with those).

Congratulations! You Won. fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 18, 2013

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Soul Glo posted:

Also, I tried a later paralogue (a girl who tries to rescue a guy fighting for the other team) but kept getting my face stomped in. I guess it's not supposed to be feasible to do all the paralogues as soon as they're available, experience-wise.

That's another one of the child paralogues. It's also one of the harder ones, so come back later. Make sure someone has a Rescue Staff or two to keep Severa from getting herself killed, because otherwise she'll be happy to run straight to her death.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Probably because they didn't change any of Yarne's supports?

"Oh woe is me, I'm the last taguel..." "What do you mean, Yarne? I'm right over here. Yarne? Hello?"

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Sure, Walhart assumedly does all of those things or orders other people to do them for him. The problem is, the game doesn't really get this across to you in the slightest. All you see of him are a couple of cutscenes where he acts menacingly, and the two battles where he generally goes down like a chump in short order. He's not an interesting character, but instead about one step above all of the generic boss enemies.

On the other hand, Goony Magician guy is shown to be taking an active role in loving with both you and others, which gives him at least some sort of interesting characterization. It's not much, but it's better then a character who's entire summary is "killed a bunch of dudes, tries to conquer world because ???"

Edit: Seriously, that entire section of the game is a mess storyline wise. The resistance is supporting you! Oh no, they betrayed you! I guess they're supporting you again! They really aren't helping at all though! Not to mention you go from being incredibly outnumbered to taking out Walhart's castle in what seems to be roughly about a week.

Congratulations! You Won. fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 11, 2014

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Philip Rivers posted:

So I finished chapter 11 and, not expecting it, I ended up getting Chrom and Sully hitched. Question: does hard mode ever get hard again?

Like pretty much all SRPGs, the hardest part of the game is the first quarter or so. At the beginning you don't have that many options to deal with the bullshit the game tosses at you, but once you get the good skills/classes/items the game turns into one-sided massacres

During my last play-thru I went for MAXIMUM GALEFORCE and I ended up quitting out of boredom near the end, because the game was too easy.

Plus, the Chrom and Sully version of a certain scene (the Lucina reveal) is pretty great compared to the other versions. Too bad Chrom's wife basically disappears from the story after that point.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

As with every other thing you could ever want to know about Fire Emblem, it's on Serenes Forest somewhere. In this case, it's right here.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Every play through I've had has had Say'ri and Lon'qu ride the bench :v:

I'm not that big of a fan of Lon'qu, and by the time you get Say'ri I've never needed another generic swordswoman. At least Lon'qu has supports.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

You can just get unlucky multiple times in a row. I'm not sure but the game might keep the RNG consistent between reloads, so that you can't really soft reset for specific results.

More importantly, you shouldn't care that much about specific level ups in this game. Every character you use will eventually get so many levels that it won't matter in the long run. Also, there's plenty of stat boosting items available that will make up for any weak spots.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

They will be unlimited past a certain point so you don't have to kill yourself to get it, but I still would. At least one or two characters will probably be level 20 before you get unlimited seals, so it's worth it to keep someone from being unable to advance.

Before they become freely purchasable, you get one from a certain mission (I think it's 8 or 9), you can randomly get them from the sparkly squares, and you can rarely purchase them from Anna at a shop. You get unlimited Master seals following Mission 11 and unlimited Second Seals after Mission 13 or 14, if I'm remembering that correctly.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Fintilgin posted:

1.) How can I tell how hard the spotpass summon teams will be? I've only got a couple of them because half the time I summon a level '3' hero they come with a team of level 30+ knights or something who one hit kill my entire party. :smith:

You just got really unlucky with your choice of Spotpass teams to summon. There's two or three of them (Eirika from Sacred Stones and Nino from Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) at the very least) that have gimmick parties. Eirika's team is the starting party from Sacred Stones, and that includes a character (Seth, the Paladin) who could literally solo that game.

Also, when you talk to them on the map, one of the options is View Stats. Remember that promoted classes start over at level 1, so if an Assassin is level 5, they are effectively level 25.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, for the first thing, there's a couple of things to keep in mind. You might know this stuff already, but can hit X to see the range of enemy units on the map. You can use that in order to make sure your squishy units (Healers, Non-Dark Mage casters, Flyers) don't get picked off. The AI will dogpile any week units that they can, so try to make sure that defensively poor units can't get swarmed.

Also, you can highlight specific enemy units with A to show their range in red. You should do this to mark anyone who is extra dangerous, like units with Longbows, weakness-hitting weapons, or anyone with killer weapons. I think chapter 17 is past the point where Warriors with Counter are potentially all over the place, but that's worth watching out for also. Stay clear of them until you can get a specific counter unit to take them out.

Other then that, just make sure not to overextend yourself. There really aren't that many maps that punish you for taking your time, so often you can just push forward in a giant blob and crush the enemy. As for reinforcements, they always come from the same spot at around the same time, so you should be prepared for them on future attempts. Plus, if you really are hitting a wall, remember you can always grind up some exp by fighting the random parties on the map, or go into the wireless menu and summon up a bonus team to gank.

For question 2: It's pretty simple. The child gets the combined stat modifiers of their parents +1, so if you're really aiming for the most powerful kids, it's worth paring up units to boost specific stats really high. Another concern is passing down specific skills, and for that it's generally just a matter of passing down cool stuff like the level 15 skills or gender specific stuff. Either way, you can't screw yourself out of useful units like you could with FE4, so just go with whoever you want. If you're interested in the direct numbers, Serenes Forest has a calculator and a list of the modifiers.

Even if you don't care about the kids, it's sort of worth getting all of them because their recruitment missions are generally pretty fun and a good source of experience. Just make sure you save before starting some of them and don't worry about backing out and coming back to them later, because a few of them are particularly annoying. Like Severa, a huge fan of suicide by axe.

I would suggest against it for your first game, but if you're insane and want to make the "optimized" party, it's all about passing down Galeforce (Dark Flyer L15 skill) to everyone who can get it. There's not much to it other then to make sure female characters who have male kids (Lissa, Maribelle, Olivia, and Female Avatar) pass it down directly to their son, and girls who otherwise don't get Pegasus Knight but have female kids (Sully and Nowi) get the class passed down from their husband (Gaius, Donny, and Male Avatar). That said, this involves an awful lot of grinding and using a hilariously bad party that consists of like 6 Pegasus Knights.

Other then that, just do whatever you want. It's not like the older Fire Emblem games where several characters are outright terrible, just use who you like.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Honestly, by the end of the game all of your units are going to be such unbelievable murder machines that Galeforce doesn't make it dramatically easier. It's just that it is pretty much unarguably the best skill, and if you care enough to play Anime Eugenics Simulator 2013 you might as well focus on passing it down.

As for the DLC, it's all over the place in difficulty but you don't need Galeforce for any of it.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

I dunno, the time I finished one of the sidequests (the recruitment mission for Priam) with only three living units was pretty cool. If I had been playing that game on Classic, I would have reset long before then.

Instead, Sully and Chrom killed like twenty dudes on their own while Robin hid all the way in the corner. I think all three of them ended with single-digit HP by the end.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Well, yeah. In a game like X-Com, losing a soldier sucks, but it's mostly because you're losing out on the experience, skills, and potentially gear they had. In Fire Emblem, it sucks because each character has their own personality more then being down a unit.

Mechanically, losing a unit ends up with the same result of, well, being down a unit. But there's a difference between Sergent Randomname getting eaten by an alien lobster and a character with even the slightest bit of a personality and backstory dying to an unlucky crit.

One of these days I really need to play a FE game without resetting due to deaths. Then again, I'd probably just get really upset and stop playing halfway after someone cool dies.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Adding in Vantage to the Lethality/Counter rear end in a top hat build makes it even better. Now they have to brave a roll of the Lethality RNG before they can kill that unit.

I don't know how effective a Aether/Lethality/Astra/Rightful King Lucina would be, but it would probably be pretty hilarious.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

You'd think people would want to wear pants in the middle of a battlefield, but who am I to judge.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Still, I had a lot of fun. Hopefully you guys enjoyed reading about poo poo that was going down. At some point I might do a proper LP of the game.

Personally, I enjoyed it, and it makes me want to start my own ironman run.

Then again, I said that the last time and reset after Lissa died in mission 5, because gently caress mission 5. I think I might play the rest of the run for real from there, though.

I just know that someone's going to get hit by an unlucky crit and die in the next mission. I already had a close call when Sully survived at 1HP after getting crit by the boss of mission 2.

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Eh, the second generation units will generally start pulling ahead eventually, especially once you get them out of their starting class and start getting them a few supports. The stat caps aren't as important as being able to have bullshit skill combinations. Then again, if you're playing it "normally" (and not worrying about passing down skills), the Avatar will still probably be one of your best combat units.

That said, I ended up turning my Avatar into a rally bot by the end of the game. Giving out 3 or 4 rally skills is more useful then having another decent to good unit, and I'd rather have my Avatar give out Rally Spectrum instead of wasting Morgan/their sibling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Because they look cool, the most important factor in any game.

Also, they are great when you aren't so far overleveled that enemies are worthless. It's just that most people who play this game get so far getting skills, all of the kids, and so on that enemies don't provide a threat by the endgame.

• Locked thread